New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Servants of the Thrallherd IC 2 [3.5, faster posting speed]

Round 42 (all)

Cendrik circles around the tower with the golem in pursuit. The lightning wears off, so it’s now moving faster, at about walking pace for a normal person. Its footsteps are loud – it’s solid metal and likely too heavy for anyone to throw. RexThaun ducks inside and peers down into the hole created by a Passwall spell. The basement appears to contain little aside from a mattress, an empty desk, a single chair, and a set of shelving that is now completely bare.

Melinda fires an orb of thunder at the hezrou, dealing a substantial amount of damage. Magdalena slashes at it a couple of times. It looks like it’s about ready to fall over.

Spoiler: Status
    Show

The golem is 15’ from Cendrik, and they’re further around the tower.

Brass Golem 12 damage

Cendrik 24 damage
    Rex 81 damage
    Melinda 57 damage
    Xaanthios 1 damage; Share Pain
    Psicrystal 0 damage

=> Party
    Last edited by J-H; 2020-02-28 at 08:38 PM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaanthios

Moving to the top of the stairs, Xaanthios sees Rex'Thaun standing over the hole left by the erstwhile master of the tower.

"I am spent, friend, and likely more liability than resource at this point.
    That golem... I know not how we will escape it."

3. - Top - End - #273
    Firbolg in the Playground

Cendrik turned to look over his right shoulder and saw the golem just coming around. As he turned back he noticed the fence and the sound of the river beyond it. It must have been the Great Leader's influence from afar as the swordsage's mind flashed to the ring from the elves that he wore that granted water breathing. He smiled, plan in mind.

Instead of continuing to circle the tower Cendrik turned north toward the river and bolted for the fence, leaping in time to clear it and reach the other side.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Assuming the fence doesn't butt up against the river

How far between the fence and river edge? How far from either do I end up? Does the river seem to be primarily rocky or possibly muddy on the bottom?

Double move due north with a long jump adding Tumble over the fence if needed.

Jump (1d20+18)[20]
    Tumble (1d20+18)[36]
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

4. - Top - End - #274
    Colossus in the Playground

Melinda grimly repeats her spell, with slightly different inflections.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lesser Orb of Sound against the fiend, attack roll, firing into melee, against touch AC: (1d20+20)[34] Critical threat check: (1d20+20)[29] Damage: (4d6)[9] sonic damage, (4d6)[14] sonic critical damage.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Round 43 (all)

Melinda launches another sonic orb at the Hezrou; Magdalena follows up with a lucky blow, striking the creature in one eye. It crumples to the ground, vanishing in a cloud of acrid smoke moments later. “Well, hopefully we don’t see that one again any time soon.” She looks pretty beaten up.

Cendrik clears the fence, finding himself on the edge of the river. The golem stomps behind him, slowly catching up.
    => Party

6. - Top - End - #276

As Cendrik rose up mid jump and was able to see past the wooden fence he already knew what was next. His feet hit the ground just past the fence but didn't stop. He keeps his momentum going and leaps as far out over the river as he can. Just before splashing into the water he disappears in a puff of smoke and instantly reappears on the other side of the river. He turns to watch the golem deal with the fence, with a smile.

Show
    Move: Jump (1d20+18)[19] as far out across the river as possible.
    Std: Just before splashing, Shadow Jaunt 50' to the other side of the river. If he's short of the river's edge he has the ring of water breathing to help.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

7. - Top - End - #277

Melinda wipes blood off her arm and says, her voice wavering as she tries to ignore her injuries, "What can we do about the golem? We don't have any time to lose."

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Rex looks at Xaan and a worried frown creases his face, "Come my friend, down the hole and I will shield you!"

Spoiler
    Show

Moves down into the hole.
    disregarding maneuvers until they are needed.
    Also, i think my damage is off, you have 81, I actually am down 60.

Rex
    Steely resolve: 0/5
    HP's: 76/136
    AC: 26
    T: 11 FF: 26
    Effects: Iron Guards Glare stance (-4 on attacks vs allies to opponents that I threaten), Aura of Vigor
    Maneuvers available: Foehammer, Shield Block, Douse the Flames, & Battle Leaders Charge

1. Foehammer
    2. Douse the Flames
    3. Shield Block
    4. Vanguard Strike
    5. Battle Leaders Charge

Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

End

Albin turns to Melinda. “A brass golem? Wait – no, the minotaur statue? Really?” He slaps his forehead. “It’s a good thing we got your team to help. They still alive?”

He turns to Filister. “Do you have a Shocking weapon crystal or Dorje of lightning bolt or something?”

The psion moves to the window, looking down. “No, but I can buy some time.” His eyes flash with a greenish light, and the brass golem is surrounded by a hemisphere of glowing ectoplasm. “I have yet to see a golem that is programmed to hack through obstacles instead of just going through doors. Nobody wants their own lab smashed, right?”

Albin sighs and rolls his eyes. “Right. So, a quarter of an hour or so, and that means the city guards will have to help clean up this mess. Oh well, it’s just gold I’ll have to donate. We at least have a dead demon, a crystallized Erinyes, and only one witness not on our side. I’ll go chat with Sierra and then head downstairs.”

Filister and Magdalena nod. “We just got here. Reach out with your mind once things have settled a bit.”

Albin turns back to Melinda. “I hired you as spare guards because I was worried about Mezzir-Shazz’s summonings. We now have several dead evil outsiders that probably shouldn’t be here by city law, and few witnesses to argue otherwise. I’ll be drawing down pretty much all of the available gold for now to help smooth this over. Luckily you were able to distract the golem and keep it from getting anywhere where it’d hurt anyone else. Share the plan with the others.”

He heads down to talk to Sierra, and the rest of you meet up. By the time 15 minutes is up, the walled-in golem is surrounded by two dozen city guardsmen and several on-call casters who can cast lightning cantrips, plus a pair of low-level clerics on standby. It takes a couple of minutes, but the golem, vastly outnumbered, is kept hampered and brought down.

Later, you’re pulled aside by a guard captain, who asks if you can confirm what Albin has told him.

=> Party
    Last edited by J-H; 2020-04-18 at 10:40 PM.

10. - Top - End - #280

Cendrik finishes his teleport to the other side of the river and turns to watch the golem continue the hunt for him. To his dismay the golem doesn't follow. "Damn. At least it isn't doing anything." It isn't long before the golem appears to be trapped by some effect. Cendrik steps back to get a running start and repeats his actions to return to the tower side of the river.

Studying the trapped golem, he activates the healing wand hidden away inside his left clawed glove. He keeps away from attention. Once the golem is loose again he darts in occasionally to get a swipe in using Mountain Hammer as before. Once the golem is down he teleports away and reports back to Rex, letting him deal with the city guard. "We getting anything worthwhile out of this?"

Show
    Lesser Vigor wand, one charge.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

As the golem chases after Cendrik, Rex hears voices, lots of voices, authoritative commands, perhaps a guard of sorts? He peeks out, shielding Xaan, and smiles, nodding to himself. "Xaan, see what is worth taking from here and up above, i think i recall a potion cabinet? I don't want to leave without being paid what is our due, I will help these guards."

Seeing the effect his breath had on the golem before, he steps out, and assist's the guards as best he can, breathing on it with lightning every so often, lending a hack and slash here and there, even blocking a few blows with his shields from the great animated creature aimed at the guards.

As the Captain approaches him, he nods in respect to the man. "Your men fought valiantly Captain. My name is RexThaun my companions and I are thankful for your assistance!" he confirms the story is correct, being as succinct and to the point as possible to corroborate the stories without lying.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy - (1d20+20)[32]
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

12. - Top - End - #282

Cendrik gets updated on Albin's plans for any gold on hand. "There's the potion and wand cabinets that still had supplies. If Mezzir-Shazz had that underground hideout that his apprentices didn't know about, there's probably some valuables down there too, before our employers find out about it." He pauses, thinking about what brought the group to say yes to this whole endeavor in the first place. "Even if Albin is short on gold, Balmor might be able to trade all that brass from the golem for weapons to help Great Leader's plans. Guess I was right on that statue huh? Meanwhile, I'm going to get the rest of what Mezzir-Shazz and Brand had on them before anyone else besides us gets the same idea."

Show
    Collect what valuables Mezzir-Shazz and Brand have on their persons. I already grabbed the Amulet of Natural Armor +2 from MS.
    The amulet is party loot, if anyone wants it. Otherwise Cendrik is happy with it.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #283

"Got it," Melinda says crisply. Then she sways on her feet. "I need healing." She heads downstairs to rejoin the others.

Melinda nods at the guard captain's question; if he doesn't ask in more detail, she doesn't volunteer more.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing Melinda swaying slightly, Rex realigns his internal power, allowing her to feel the soothing power within her flesh, restoring some color, and stabilizing her wounds. He grins as he nods to her.

Spoiler
    Show

Aura of Vigor, fast healing 2 up to half
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2020-04-21 at 09:30 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

You heal yourselves up, and overhear Albin apologizing for the commotion again and saying that he’ll be happy to repay the costs of the guard deployment, that he’s noticed their gear, and offering to help enchant some of their blades to be inherently magical. He’s making nice.

As you start the bodies, he telepathically asks you to wait, as he’s still discussing things with the guard. I will pay you, do not worry; but my former master’s equipment needs to stay with the tower. I do not know what may be keyed to any other secrets he has. I would like to keep Brand’s dagger as well, as it’s not something that can be easily duplicated by Filister. In fact, why don’t you stop by his dome in the morning – you now have a credit there if you need something made, or if you need gold it’ll take a few days.

Spoiler: Brand gear
    Show

Circlet of INT +4,
    Amulet of PFE
    Lesser Rod of Extend (3/day, spell levels 1-3)
    Ring of Protection +1
    Bracers of Armor +3
    Mage Robe of Resistance +2
    Banishing Dagger +1 (Albin wants to keep this)
    Last edited by J-H; 2020-04-21 at 07:41 AM.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Rex grins a toothy grin and nods, looking to Cendrik and Melinda, "these seem powerful items for you Melinda, I would say deck yourself out and we will stop by Filister's tomorrow, our mission is still our primary goal, and we should hasten to it."

Spoiler
    Show

I'm game to sort out this loot and move forward to the store for GP/gear.
    See OOC for my notes on loot
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

You all rest well, exhausted after a single grueling battle – a true 10 minute adventuring day! – and report to the psion’s dome the next morning.

Filister greets you. “Well, thank you for your help yesterday. Albin has found himself very busy, but it’s nice to have the city’s highest ranking mage on our side instead of quietly trying to kill us. Magdalen is helping sweep for traps, but I’m the one who can imbue equipment with power, so I’m probably the one you want to speak with. I have a supply of equipment on-hand, and I won’t say how much, so tell me what you’re looking for. Also, we are owed a couple of favors by the church of Moradin, so if you’re needing some obscure healing spell cast, or an item de-cursed, or a divination spell, I can tell you who to present yourselves to.”

"Out of curiosity, where are you going from here?"

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Rex wakes the next morning with several aches, he was beaten quite severely, and is still not fully recovered, but as usual, he was ready and willing. He dresses, needing help to don his armor, and then walks with the others munching on some street food he found along the way, it was a soft dough deep fried with some kind of sweat meat on the inside. Delicious.

"Our goal lies north of here, we are intending to either go over or under the mountains, whichever is easiest and fast. We were told we needed passes to delve into the undermountain, is that something you may acquire?"
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2020-05-05 at 10:07 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

19. - Top - End - #289

Cendrik awakens, hungry for breakfast. He aids Rex with his armor and slips in some healing from a wand if he can get it to work.

"Thought about how to better equip yourself from Filister? Who but the Great Leader knows if we'll get a chance like this again. Best take advantage of it to better serve Great Leader."

At the dome, Cendrik keeps in the back, letting the others make their deals and decisions. The swordsage was better at accomplishing things such as dealing with Brand or Mezzir-Shazz. He awaited the next direction chosen.

Show
    Trying to activate the lesser vigor wand. Not sure what Rex's hp are up to. Will try for 2 activations. A Nat 1 disables the wand for me. +11hp for each
    (1d20+11)[23]
    (1d20+11)[28]
    (1d20+11)[26]
    (1d20+11)[25]

After resting Cendrik is at 76/80hp
    Show

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

“Passes down and through the mines? Easy enough, I can have one for you tomorrow. You’ll want a guide unless you have good divination magics with you. The best guides all work for the city… well, except for Fentir, but he’s a bit crazy. Came in here wanting to replace his gear on credit a few weeks ago. Too bad really, he spent a couple of decades doing it and was probably the best one – I don’t want to mess with the thieves guild, so I didn’t help him.“

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Rex raises an eyebrow "Would this Fentir be a good guide? I don't want to mess with the Theives guild, and we have delayed long enough, we need to help Balmor with a shipment out of here..." he turns back to Cendrik "Did he say how much he needed?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

"Fentir says he's traveled all the way under the mountains and come out on the other side. He's got a very well-made bone knife he says he brought back, which I am certain wasn't crafted by anyone in this city. Apparently the rest of his equipment was "stolen," thus the request to get more on credit.
    Last edited by J-H; 2020-05-08 at 04:01 PM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Rex nods "Noted, and my thanks for the information. We are under promise to help our friend see his shipment off however, so that will need to take precedence." he turns to Cendrik, "Shall we meet him and discuss how we can get his shipment out, and then we can figure out what is left, if any and pursue our quarry, either over or under the mountain?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

24. - Top - End - #294

Cendrik was half listening and half pondering the possibilities. "Balmor was looking for someplace to store what he already has. Should be plenty of space in the tower for now. One floor more than enough. Then he can spend more on supplies. Worst case, we do our job and on the way back bring Balmor and supplies back home. Best case Albin can do the teleport."

"Filister can get us passes. Seems we need Fentir. Filister have a way to contact him? Use a small part of our credit for his gear. Didn't Xaan say something about the devil inside for our guide?"
    Show

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

He turns back to Filister "Is that doable? Can you allow balmor to store his goods in the tower for a while? And yes, take Fentirs gear replacement out of our credit, if you can and coordinate a meeting if possible? How much would that put us at remaining?"

Spoiler
    Show

We're talking to Filister, correct?
    Seems like we're floundering a bit, if we can get solid, yes Balmor can keep his goods, and Fentir's gear + passes cost x/y/z, then we can shop and move on.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Filister responds that you’d have to talk to Albin about using the tower as a storage area. His dome is also their living space, and so not suitable. “As for Fentir, let’s see… I think he wanted a Stone of Alarm, Ring of Sustenance, and some Boots of Elvenkind. I can come up with those pretty quickly. You’ll need to find him yourself, though. Maybe check the taverns or ask some of his former co-workers.”

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Rex nods "Ok, how much does that leave us with?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

28. - Top - End - #298

"I think what Filister means is we tell him what we want and he sees what he can do." Cendrik looks to Filister with a raised eyebrow. Assuming he's right he continues.

"We travel without a cleric. Some healing supplies would be helpful. Restorative Ointment. A healing belt or two. Wand of Lesser Vigor or better. Cloaks of Resistance. Those kinds of things."

"For me... couple of upgrades for my claw gloves would be nice. Adding Dexterity to these gloves would be helpful. Can the claws be transformed to adamantine without losing their other attributes? If not, a Ring of Adamantine Touch would help me against things like the golem we faced. A Scout's Headband would help under the mountain. I have two small lifedrinking crystals I'd like to have improved. You've heard of the magic set called the Garb of the Hunting Cat? I just need the Mantle to complete the set. I can also make use of any spare wands, even if they've seen some use."

Cendrik looks to the others to speak up.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaanthios

For the psion, the morning had been one of introspection. Letting Rex do the talking for the most part, he stands at the back in quiet introspection. As the talk progresses, he turns his mind to the present moment.

"There is some risk to our minds in the undermountain, do you have protections against such things? For myself, I find that I need some more... physical... means of defending myself and my allies. A crossbow would serve, perhaps one enchanted to a degree that would assist in striking some of the more resistant opponents we encounter. Apart from that, Crystals of Psionic power would be of immense use to me, as would crystals empowered with certain mental matrixes. One for Entangling opponents, and perhaps one for Identifying the nature of psionic or magical implements. Are these within your capacity to provide?"

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Filister considers your requests, then consults a palm-sized disc of crystal with his eyes shut. Apparently he uses it to store information. “Wait here.” He goes into a small back closet, and, you suspect, to a basement or extradimensional space from there. He has some of the items on-hand, and can provide the others in about 3 days.

Spoiler: Items provided now
    Show

For Fentir:
    Ring of Sustenance
    Boots of Elvenkind
    Stone of Alarm

General:
    Healing Belt x 1
    Restful Armor Crystal x 2
    Crawling Psionic Tattoo of Body Adjustment (2d12) x 3

C
    Crystal of Lifedrinking: Upgrade both from Least to Lesser
    Scout’s Headband

X
    Crossbow+1 and 40 +1 crossbow bolts
    4x Power Stone of Identify (1 charge each)
    Dorje of Entangling Ectoplasm, 24 charges
    Cognizance Crystal, 7pp capacity
    Cognizance Crystal, 3pp capacity

B
    Anklet of Translocation
    Shield Crystal of Bent Sight

Spoiler: Items for 3 days from now
    Show

C
    Mantle of the Predator (set completion)

M
    Pearl of Power, 3rd level

B
    Cloak of Resistance +2

He also gives you a note and some paperwork that will get you a pass to the under-mines from the appropriate guildhall.