New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Servants of the Thrallherd IC 2 [3.5, faster posting speed]

For a moment I thought you said a ludicrous amount of violence. Well, we can do that too, but let's not scare him off. Melinda keeps her thoughts to herself.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Albin steeples his bony fingers in front of him. “So the four of you are together. I had the impression there were more than just the two of you this morning. Mezzir-Shazz is a knowledgeable loremaster, an effective teacher, and a man prone to uncontrolled arcane violence against people and things he does not like; although powerful, he has few friends, and is not open to new ideas unless they fit into his view of how the world ought to work. You may have noticed that I communicated with you using telepathy earlier instead of an arcane spell. For I have learned to use the powers of the mind in addition to using my mind as well.

If I revealed this to him, I’m not sure that I would survive. I would see him dead and his tower and resources put under the control of a wiser person, namely myself. I have acquired a utilitarian patron and ally in this endeavor, whose identity I am not at liberty to reveal. Together, I believe we can match and counter my teacher, but the golems, the other apprentices, and their summoned servants present a formidable cast of secondary foes.

There is enough wealth and equipment contained within that I am confident in my ability to provide suitable recompense if a satisfactory end state is achieved through mutual cooperation.”
    Last edited by J-H; 2019-01-23 at 10:49 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Cendrik nods at the introduction then listens to Albin.

"Your teacher? Past or present? Safe to assume you have intimate knowledge of his setup, defenses, and spells as well as a plan for this to all happen? Who are you beyond one of Mezzir-Shazz's students that has learned telepathy?"

Cendrik notes to Rex and Xaan. "The student we met is very focused on conjuration and planar binding. Had no interest in anything else. Just on the outside they've got 2 large constructs and a golem. Teacher and at least one student would be summoning a lot."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Albin gives a thin smile. "I'm just a student who has transcended the boundaries of my first discipline, blending the book and the mind, as I said. As long as the tower is occupied and provides the required support to the city, there will be no lasting political consequences. I know most of the defenses and passwords, and can project an illusionary map if you are serious about this. I think we should be at a more secure location for that, and I do need to return with the food I came here to get. Where can I find you later?

We have yet to determine the best time to attack; more wards are up at night, but we might still catch him unawares. In the daytime, though, research might be in progress and some of our foes may have expended some of their spell capacity. Think on this and your talents."

(You're pretty sure he's a cerebremancer)
    Last edited by J-H; 2019-01-23 at 11:31 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35

"We're staying at the Silver Tooth."

"Forgive my bluntness, what's the highest circle of spells Brand and Mezzir-Shazz have access to? How many other apprentices are there? Would any of them side with you? Arranging for any of the others to not be there at the time of the attack would simplify it."

Cendrik looks to the others for their questions, but mostly to Rex for his take on the whole thing.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

“I have seen him employ Forcecage, a spell of the seventh circle, to contain an enraged Slaad. As I said, your contribution to this battle is intended primarily to prevent the other apprentices and guards from interfering in a strike on Mezzir-Shazz himself, so you would contend with fifth spell circles and two tiers of warding from Sierra, who has focused on chromatics and warding veils. I will look for you at the Silver Tooth tonight. I must not arouse suspicion now by doing anything out of the ordinary, so I must go now.”

He stands up and hurries over to the counter, placing an order, paying for it, and leaving immediately.

7. - Top - End - #37

Melinda stays silent, studying the strange psionic wizard's body language for any sign of deception she can make out. An assassination mission. He'd have nothing to gain by setting a trap for a bunch of strangers. On the other hand, once he no longer needs us, he might not want to pay.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20+2)[6]

"Well," she says after he leaves. "Think we can trust him?"

8. - Top - End - #38

Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    Cendrik (1d20+7)[21]
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Rex angles his head sideways as the man leaves.

What an interesting thing to happen to them. "I think we should do it, our searching has come up with naught, and we are at a stalemate until we can get into the undermountain, action is always better than inaction. What say you all?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

10. - Top - End - #40

"Better to discuss this in a private environment." Cendrik leads the group back to the Silver Tooth then brings up the conversation again in one of their rooms, alert to anything that might eavesdrop.

"I think we need a lot more convincing from Albin. We'll be secondaries fighting their secondaries. If Albion loses then all of Mezzir-Shazz's resources will be after us then and long term if he escapes. Does Albin think he can win that fight by himself?"

"We'll need details on the golems too. I'm not well versed on them. Weaknesses and immunities? Need to make sure we have enough to hit then hard with. I don't know if much of my skills would be of use against golens beyond being a target they can try to hit. We should discuss any known types in case Albin leaves anything out or Mezzir-Shazz has something new."

"Fifth circle summons? That's tigers, bears, apes stuff right? Doable but we won't have Lockheed's help. Bunch of silence spells should help prevent at least some of their magic, right? At least we have time to get anything we think we might need. Albin should be able to get us that stuff. It's his revolt."
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaanthios

"You aren't wrong, friend... but don't discount Avalon, my construct. We will not be without resources in the coming battle."

12. - Top - End - #42

Melinda shrugs. "It certainly can't hurt to learn more about how he's planning to handle his end of this fight. From what I remember, golems are pretty magic resistant."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

"Can't be worse than the damned army of the dead we fought." he says smiling, recalling the memory, and realizing, that only Xaan had been present for that. Oh well. "I'm sure we can handle ourselves, I've heard of golems, and the like, the real question is, if we do, does it further our goals? Can this Albion, or even his secret ally help us go into the undermountain, I want a promise for that."
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

14. - Top - End - #44

"I don't mean to discount any of us. Merely since I've joined back in the caves we've been able to handle everything through avoidance or diplomacy. We have not yet fought together. I look forward to doing so but you haven't seen me in action and I haven't see any of you in action. Praise the Great Leader we all know we can trust each other but blending in a fight takes experience. Or at least detailed knowledge of our talents." If others are interested later, Cendrik will discuss his Sublime Way skills and magical gear.

We should be looking for more than just access to the underground. If this all works Albin gains all that is in the tower as well as the long term power and profit for taking control. There is a lot we can seek beyond any gear we feel we need for this task. Access to the underground should be simple for him. Gold to fund our preparations. Assistance for Balmor, from smoothing his smithy troubles to storing his goods to helping with transport. An ally in debt to the Great Leader since it is through his people that Albin rises in power."

"This all assumes he's telling us is fact and not just what he feels is fact. Who knows what angle his patron has, or their plans for us once the deed is done."
    Last edited by Cavir; 2019-01-29 at 10:09 PM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaanthios

"It is wise to be wary of treachery on the part of one who is betraying a master. That said, I wonder if our goals could not be accomplished through simpler, more direct means. There are certain herbs that, consumed, can cripple a Wizard or Psion, removing from them their ability to cognate sometimes completely. I both have these herbs, and the capacity to replicate them to a dramatic extent. Perhaps on the day of our potential insurgence I could be taken within as a cook and... season... the food." Xaanthios speaks this with confidence, and his voice and tone suggests that this may not be the first time that he has taken such an action.

16. - Top - End - #46

"Interesting. Take it another step. Albin gets their food and brings it back. You wouldn't even have to go inside and risk discovery. We would still need a full plan in case they have a strong stomach or quick magical relief from one of the others."
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaanthios

Xaanthios runs a hand through his hair and shrugs. "Perhaps. The application of this in a way that will not be obvious.... is not necessarily easy. I might not be trusting of another... but then again, I might. It depends on the nature of the carrier, I suppose. No cook would add this without knowing what's happening, so... I don't know."

18. - Top - End - #48

"I mean Albin picks up the food, meets up with us, you add the final touches, then Albin continues on his way. Might be useful to give Albin an antidote in case he gets the wrong item at the tower."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm fine with moving on. Points have been made for our chat with Albin.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaanthios

Mostly content to let the point lie, Xaanthios takes a moment to channel his thoughts towards the slip and flow of time.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Manifesting Divination: What is the likely outcome of assisting Albin in his task?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

As the group discusses things, Xaanthios turns his formidable intellect towards probable future outcomes.
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Aside from “Psionic X” I really don’t think Psionic Divination makes sense. What are you doing, simulating future timeline outcomes based on knowledge you don’t have?

IC:
    Danger, bloodshed, assets.
    Last edited by J-H; 2019-01-29 at 09:55 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

That night, Albin joins you. After examining the room carefully, he casts an Alarm spell just outside the door. “In this circumstance, paranoia is healthy. You have, I believe, assented to aid me in this endeavor?” At your nods, he continues. “Excellent. I have acquired a promise of aid from some retired adventurers who have an old grudge against Mezzir-Shazz, as well as some…philosophical differences…that I share.”

“Mezzir-Shazz is a tough and hardy dwarf, made even sturdier by the presence of a Shield Guardian golem he created. If he is cut? Half the depth of the wound heals instantly, and the golem acquires a new scratch matching half the cut. The golem itself has never displayed much agility or intelligence, but it’s still a half ton or more of animated metal to deal with.

There are some glyphs and sigils hidden within the tower, things to trap an intruder who does not know of their presence. The thieves guild has long since learned to leave us alone, and this is part of how. I will mark them on this map, which is a complete map of the tower save for Mezzir-Shazz’ own quarters. I did not dare to test his wards and traps, for what reason could I give?”

He takes a few moment to cast an Image spell. A picture of the outside of the tower appears. It then splits into 8 components, and each floor slides apart so that they can be viewed in detail. The images are not true-to-life, but provide a good overview of the layout of each floor.

Spoiler
    Show

“I must ask that you refrain from excessively destructive area of effect spells. A fireball could wipe out years of research notes in a single go, ruin potions or make them explode, and the backblast could be dangerous to you as well. I want an intact tower, not a wrecked ruin. I would like some of the guardian golems to remain intact, but I am not so sanguine about the probability of that happening.

Do you have a rough plan of attack? What time of day do you think it best to strike?”
    Last edited by J-H; 2019-01-30 at 12:02 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaanthios

”Adventurers? You had implied that you were supported by a power sufficient to negate Mezzir-Shaz completely. Is it now expected that we carry the assault all the way to the most powerful wizard of this city?” Xaanthios shakes his head. “I have a substance that, when consumed, will negate any arcane or psion from nearly any ability to affect their powers. Dwarves are known for their hearty resistance to such poisons, so it is likely that at the least Mezzir-Shaz will be unaffected.”

“Is there a potential that immediately following a lunch break we might be able to attack? We would need to ensure that the lunch was heavily dosed with my herb, which might certainly require my presence. What day you?”

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

"One of them is a psionicist of power equal to Mezzir-Shazz, and his companion is also powerful in her own right."
    Albin smirks as he hears the plan to poison their food. "Your plan is devious. I like it. How much poison must be consumed? Does it have a taste? Is it visible once applied?"

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Rex narrows his eyes as he looks on the silent image....he counts, "one, two, three, four....7 Golems?" he says, exasperated "And what of this brass statue? is that a golem as well?" he says sarcastically "Do we have anything to help against these things? 7 Golems....is a lot."
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

"The golems are numerous, and could prove distracting to my ability to manipulate arcane energies, yes, but they are not masterworks like the greater golems you may think of. They serve to deter or delay intruders, or to delay any summoned creature that breaks its bonds until someone with true power can intervene. If I were to pit a single summoned Howler against a single one of the golems, the outcome of the battle would be determined primarily by chance or environmental factors.

As for the brass statue, you already saw it on your brief visit. It seems to have some latent magic, but I have never seen anything come of it under any circumstance.

Remember, we are striking at wizards, not fools who leave their doors open against casual intrusion. Of course there are golems and traps, but you now have an account of most of them."

26. - Top - End - #56

"Mezzir-Shaz and Brand are dwarves? There's been a Sierra mentioned. How many more are there? Are any not dwarves? Sounds like poison is going be a bad idea this time around. Gives them a heads up that something is wrong and loses our chance for surprise. Is there a time when the apprentices mostly leave the tower for an hour or two?"

"What about protections against teleportation and invisibility? Any Alarm spells about? We set off a bell passing through the arch. Need to get past that first or else that winged toad will set off the alarm."

"What activates the golems? By sight or by verbal command? Can they see through invisibility? Can they be fooled through disguise and given different orders?"

"If we have to enter from the ground floor I think sound control is vital. With a wand of Silence we could hit each floor with it and shut down their specialty. That also keeps the floors above from hearing battle."

"Xaan, are you able to reshape walls and floors? If you reshape the stairwell to enclose it one level at a time that might keep the golems from activating if they cn't see us. Baring that, reshaping the floor to make a wall for us and a hole for them to fall down to lower levels would be helpful."

Cendrik looks to Albin. "What is your team's plan? Follow behind us then take the lead once Mezzir-Shaz is reached? If you are already with Mezzir-Shaz you could pretend to help fight then catch him unaware. A Message spell between us all would help."
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

"There are three apprentices in total. No-one qualified to replace Loodon has been found yet. You have met Brand, and the other is Sierra, who as I mentioned earlier focuses on warding and chromatic magics. We all reside in the tower, and I cannot predict if or when someone might leave for some reason. The distance I can reach with telepathic magics is short, and waiting near the tower for several days would likely draw attention.

The tower is not warded against Teleportation, but of all of us, Mezzir-Shazz is the only one able to cast that spell. The tower is warded against scrying, and it's not possible to teleport to someplace you have not seen.

There are Alarm spells on the first and second floor doors to the stairs, keyed to us; since the stairs enter and exit the main room on each floor, that is sufficient; anyone invisible would reveal himself by opening a door, and the golems have standing orders to deal with intruders who are not escorted or verbally authorized. Mezzir-Shazz is the only one able to give them deviations from their standard orders, and I do not know if they will respond to a disguise; I suppose they might. Since my studies have taken a different path, I have not delved extensively into construct mentalities.

Our plan is for you to strike at the first floor, likely drawing Brand, Sierra, or both away - hopefully not myself - and then my allies will enter through an upper window into whatever floor Mezzir-shazz and myself are in, and engage him once the other two are out of the room and busy with you. I can coordinate via telepathic message."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Rex nods as he listens. "2 golems on the first floor, 2 apprentices, and whatever they can throw at us, are you needing us to push upward and support you once we're done, or merely a distraction?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't expect Mezzir-Shazz to send more than one down to deal with you at first. Come as far up as you can. We may need the help, and Brand may conjure up more servants as time goes on."

30. - Top - End - #60

Cendrik's eyebrow raises. "When Melinda and I were there Brand said it cost 500gp for an audience. Draw him to the ground level with that then the rest of both parties rush through the archway? Rules out most of the golems getting involved along, maybe an apprentice too, and focuses our power while he may have left some of his offensive power upstairs."
    Show