New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Servants of the Thrallherd IC 2 [3.5, faster posting speed]

"No, that won't work, we'll either just get an apprentice, or we'll all be in the same room, and it will be a free for all." Neither of those are good ideas.

"Our job, is to get into the first floor, and distract the 2 other apprentices, and if possible, disable them, and move onwards and upwards to assist with the Master." He looks to everyone to make sure they understood their task, it was imperative that they did. "Now, we know one summons creatures, creatures we can deal with" he eyes Cendrik, "Golems are present at the first and 6th floor, 2 and 4 respectively, these are not the golems of lore, made of steel or stone, but lesser ones" he eyes Albin "These will be tough, but I think we can manage them, they are slow constructs, with little abilities, we can move about them, avoid them if we can. From our discussions, it sounds like Melinda has several spells that can control the battlefield, walls of fire, black tentacles, tripping hands, these can be used to control the golems, cut up the battlefield, and harass the apprentices, and her more destructive spells can be focused on the apprentices, and if need be, the golems. Xaans, construct likewise can do the same things, but should focus on the apprentices, putting them out of action is a primary goal, he too can summon walls, which will help with all the summons, golems, and ourselves. If we're smart, we can control the battlefield, and if we do that, we'll have the upper hand. Cendrik and myself, will either engage the golems or summoned creatures away from you two, so you can dispatch the apprentices."

He looks around, hoping everyone was on track.

"Issues we might have are, getting into the first floor tower, alarms are apparently all over the place, and secondly, our own ability to ignore the battlefield spells we are going to employ to hamper our enemies, will do likewise. We need solutions to these." he looks to the others "is there anything that will allow us to fly? or levitate, or something similar?" he shakes his head, he was no caster and had no idea what was possible. "And, do we even need to enter the tower? could we engage whomever shows up, and then move into the tower? that might be better, and easier to fight outside?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

Cendrik nods at the reasoned rejection of his idea and listens to Rex's more detailed plan.

"Go through them the old fashioned way. Fine with me as long as my blades will cut those things. The glyph and the minotaur are more my concerns. How do we cancel the glyph? We leave Brand alive and unconscious then throw his body at it? Hmm, why wait til he's down." Cendrik grins evilly on the thought. "Summoning a simple dog would do nicely too."

"Last time we entered a homunculus greeted us before Brand came down. I suggest we start the same way with any two of us going in then once an apprentice comes down the other two enter. We take out the apprentice and homunculus right away to keep Mezzir-Shazz in the dark about how much a threat we are. Don't want him teleporting down to us and miss his own special treat."

Cendrik gets lost in thought for just a moment then pulls out a tanglefoot bag. "And I've got just the thing to keep a caster from stepping away to cast safely."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Rex nods a the Cendriks remarks, "Yes, that sounds like an excellent plan." he looks to the others "Anything else to add? We should rest up, or are we ok doing this today?"

Spoiler
    Show

I'm good to move forward and begin this shindig
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

4. - Top - End - #64

"Come to think of it, with going up against mages and their summons a wand of Protection from Evil would be quite useful. Don't need them controlling one of us and making their summons useless would be very helpful. Perhaps our new friend can front us one since it would help assure his goals?"

"When to attack? Late in the afternoon if they are spending their days casting but before dusk where their eyes give them an advantage and before they put up their nighttime protection spells. If we can get the wand or at least some potions of it today I'm fine with this afternoon. Tomorrow at the latest."
    Cendrik looks to Albin for his comments on time of day and getting them one item.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Albin shakes his head. "I don't have wands just sitting around. We use potions for that sort of thing - cheaper, and usable by anyone at any time. They can even be used by a homunculus on a paralyzed person. I can reimburse you in kind afterwards."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Rex nods, he had no idea such a spell existed, or even worked that way. "Yes, we can go out and look today? Would such a spell arise suspicion?" he says to Malinda and Xaan
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

7. - Top - End - #67
    Colossus in the Playground

"If someone happened to have a cantrip to detect magic active, they would notice it. Whether they would find it suspicious is another question; it's a good spell to maintain for lots of reasons, and there are ways for a powerful enough spellcaster to maintain it continually."

8. - Top - End - #68

"Good point, plus a potion won't last that long. We should have them and use them the first chance we get after the fight starts. Best for us to never let the first apprentice to get off even one spell. Rex you can talk to them and when the time is right I'll teleport behind them and stab away."

"Notice the colored areas on the 4th and 6th floors. Need to keep them out of the blue at any cost and make use of the red ourselves."

"While shopping, one or two scrolls of Silence would be very helpful. A Dispel Magic just in case could be handy but expensive. I can use some scrolls."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The 6 squares for each stair area- could we get a description please? Are there doors on each level or open stairway? Where do you come out of the stairs? If the access is on the left side the traps are an issue for floors 1 and 4.

I can afford 1 Prot/Evil potion and that's about it. Will buy one the next day before the attack. I'm ok with a fast forward. If others want to pursue other leads during that day we can. Still have the other apprentice and the thief as leads.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Stairs
    Show

The stairs are half-circle shaped. They are entered on the left side (left two squares) and arc up and to the right, exiting on the right two squares of the floor above. They’re actually, as noted, around 7’ wide, but I can only draw increments of 5’.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

You finalize your plans with Albin. He’ll wait for your attack to start, and then signal his “patron,” whoever that might be. Cendrik purchases a potion of Protection From Evil, and other than that, you spend the next day stretching, practicing, and generally preparing for battle. The hours seem to drag on, but finally it’s late afternoon – time to move out! You leave the inn trying to look casual. The day is slightly cloudy, and a cool breeze blows down from the mountains above.

Rex and Cendrik approach the tower.

Rex & Cendrik
    As you pass through the arch, you hear a faint ringing sound upstairs, as that of a bell.

A tiny reddish figure that looks sort of like a humanoid winged toad lands in front of you. Melinda easily recognizes it as a homunculus, a mute construct created by some wizards. It looks up at the two of you and studies you, and then makes a questioning gesture. Rex hefts a pouch with the telltale clinking a sizeable amount of gold coins.

The homunculus holds a hand up with one finger upraised, a signal to wait, and then points to one of the nearby sitting areas in a silent offer.

The same wizard as before, Brand, comes down the steps. “You’re back I see, with a new friend, and payment. What can we help you with today? Tell me what you’re after, and I can take you to the right part of the tower.

Melinda & Xaanthios
    Melinda and Xaanthios stay farther back, out of sight of the door. The two outside are about 80’ away from the entry archway. After Rex and Cendrik head inside, Xaanthios notices a familiar face nearby – the psion, Filister, is walking nearby, looking down at the nearby stream that flows along the edge of the city.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

=> Surprise round = 1 standard or move action, then we go to Initiative

11. - Top - End - #71

"Yes, we are here about the payment." Cendrik suddenly darts at Brand and starts slicing into him with both magical tiger claws attached to his hands. "We're looking to fill up the pouch and far more."

Spoiler: Ready to rumble!
    Show
    Combat with Cendrik finally. Yeah!

Charge to Q9. Already in Assassin's Stance (2d6 sneak, +2 saves). Claws' special ability to attack with both when charging or using Spring Attack. If both hit then +3d6 rending damage.

Claw1: (1d20+12)[20] crit: (1d20+12)[29] (+2 charging, -2 TWF)
    damage: (1d4+3)[6] + (2d6)[3] Sneak
    crit: (2d4+6)[12]

Claw2: (1d20+12)[14] crit: (1d20+12)[20] (+2 charging, -2 TWF)
    damage: (1d4+3)[7] + (2d6)[6] Sneak
    crit: (2d4+6)[14]

If both claws hit, rending: damage: (3d6)[5]

AC 21/15T/17FF (-2 charging)

Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Rex walks through and hears the small chime, then smiles at the small homonculus, in another time, he would have loved a chat.

He opens his mouth to speak, but Cendrik beats him, so eager to the punch, that he surprises Rex even with his blinding speed! Rex, seeing the moment vanish, barks out a lash of lightning towards the mage.

Spoiler
    Show

30ft line, so will 5ft to reposition if need be to avoid allies.
    Breath lightning - (3d6)[14] DC 20 for half
    Recover - (1d4)[1]

Init - (1d20+2)[7]
    Everyone note, Rex had the senses aura up, so +2 to init

Rex
    HP's: 136/136
    AC: 26
    T: 11 FF: 26
    Effects: Breath recover in 1 round
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2019-02-15 at 11:27 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Surprise Round
    Cendrik darts forward, slashing with the claws on his fingers. Only one connects, as the other is deflected by armored bracers that sit underneath the voluminous sleeves on his mage robe. Rex breathes lightning, scorching the dwarf, one of the golems, and the homunculus.
    Spoiler
    Show

Cendrik hits for 9 damage.
    Remember, line spells travel down intersections, so they impact a 2-square wide area. You hit the homunculus, Brand, and golem 1. 14 electrical damage, Ref DC 20 half.
    Brand Ref (1d20+7)[15]
    Hom Ref (1d20+4)[10]
    G1 Ref (1d20+1)[18]
    all fail

Spoiler: Status
    Show

Brand 23 damage
    Homunculus 14 damage
    G1 14 damage

=> Party wins initiative! Go!
    Last edited by J-H; 2019-02-15 at 12:53 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Rex growls as the mage is hit by Cendriks blow and his breath reaches past him and touches the homoculus and golem.

Stepping up to the mage, he draws his weapon, "Best surrender mageling, else you'll be wyvern fodder by the end of the day" he says, simply, and with a deep intensity, that suggests he is not joking.

Spoiler
    Show

Move action: Move to P8 and draw weapon
    Standard: Attempt to Demoralize Opponent

Intimidate - (1d20+22)[32]

If successful, Imperious Command feat turns the Shaken status into Cowering status

Rex
    HP's: 136/136
    AC: 26
    T: 11 FF: 26
    Effects: Iron Guards Glare stance (-4 on attacks vs allies to opponents that I threaten)
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2019-02-15 at 10:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

As RexThaun approaches and raises his sword, Brand flickers out of sight, abruptly appearing on the stairs, 10' farther back.

Spoiler
    Show

Above action voided by flat-footedness.

Is Rex in O8 or P8?

Important update: I realized that the Ghoul Glyph in O6 should be in N6. Otherwise, it completely blocks access to the stairs. I will move it on the next map posting
    Last edited by J-H; 2019-02-15 at 03:09 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76

Melinda rushes into the building.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to O14.

17. - Top - End - #77

Cendrik focuses ending on Brand's life, hoping to finish him off before the golems came into play. He was impressed with the bolt of lightning from the dragonborn. Guess the swordsage was off when asking about breathing fire.

Show
    Full attack TWF.

Claw1a: (1d20+10)[15] crit: (1d20+10)[20] (tgt flatfooted and cowering?)
    damage: (1d4+3)[7] + (2d6)[7] Sneak
    crit: (2d4+6)[13]

Claw1b: (1d20+5)[19] crit: (1d20+5)[24] (tgt flatfooted and cowering?)
    damage: (1d4+3)[4] + (2d6)[10] Sneak
    crit: (2d4+6)[12]

Claw2: (1d20+10)[29] crit: (1d20+10)[11] (tgt flatfooted and cowering?)
    damage: (1d4+3)[5] + (2d6)[9] Sneak
    crit: (2d4+6)[8]

If both claws hit at least once, rending: damage: (3d6)[14]

EDIT: Interesting how all the regular damage lines total 14 on each strike
    Last edited by Cavir; 2019-02-15 at 11:02 PM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Round 1, Part 1

RexThaun approaches, raising his sword and trying to shake Brand’s spirit, as Cendrik slashes at the dwarf repeatedly. Overwhelmed, the dwarf cowers as his flesh is slashed and torn by Cendrik.
    Spoiler
    Show

He rolled a natural 20 for a 31 against that 32.
    Claws hit, hit, hit, and rend for 14+14+14+14 = 56 damage.

Show

Brand 65 damage

Round 1, Part 2

“Help!” Brand calls out. “Defend me!” The two golems, like oversized metal gorillas, extend their long arms and try to pound RexThaun and Cendrik into the ground, not even needing to move to reach them, as the homunculus moves up behind Cendrik. Their blows are clumsy, and only one has any effect.

Spoiler
    Show

G1 vs Rex
    Slam (1d20+7)[12] for (1d8+5)[10] miss
    Slam (1d20+7)[27] for (1d8+5)[11] hit for 11

G2 vs Cendrik
    Slam (1d20+9)[14] for (1d8+5)[7] miss
    Slam (1d20+9)[13] for (1d8+5)[10] miss

Homunculus bite vs Cendrik
    (1d20+2)[16] for (1d4-1)[3] and poison if it hits. miss

You hear something thumping down the stairs, and see some sort of wolf-like creature with a goblinoid face rushing down at Brand’s call. It appears to be a barghest.

The accumulated injures are too much for Brand, and he dies.

Spoiler: Map & Status
    Show

Brand dead

Rex 11 damage

=> Party
    Last edited by J-H; 2019-02-16 at 08:09 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79

Primary mission accomplished but starting to get surrounded Cendrik takes a step back. He quickly circles his arms upward, outward, downward, and back to center. As his claws collide with each other flames are sparked. The flames race around the battlefield hitting all of the enemies starting with the homunculus and ending with the tapestry hanging on the western wall.

An idea pops into Cendrik's mind after watching for the former apprentice calling for help from the golems. With an authoritative voice he calls out to the golems. "Help! Defend me!" Who knows, maybe it was just a command phrase and the wizards didn't specify who could give the commands.

Show
    5' step to P10.

Maneuver Firesnake. 60' line that twists as desired. 6d6 fire with Reflex DC 16 for half. Line goes just east to hit the toad, then north to the G2, west to hit the goblin wolf, trap and G1, then finishes at the tapestry. Maybe that will help get rid of the 2 traps too.
    Fire (6d6)[26]
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Rex grits as the golems bash into him, one finding it's mark even as he lifts his shield to protect his flank, clipping the fist, and sending tremors reverberating down his arm and into his chest.

He stepped forward, to intercept the strange looking goblin faced dog, and hopefully stall for his comrades long enough.

"Cendrik, step back, remember the mission." hoping his companion would realize, that they needed to lure the golems away from thr doors, so they could go up the stairs.

He swings his sword to the side, and loudly declares "You shall go back to whence you came!" to the dog-thing and swings with the fury of his Lord King.

Spoiler
    Show

Steely Resolve: 5/5
    Damage taken: 6
    free action: 5ft step over Brands body to P8
    Swift: activate Law devotion to AC (+3)
    Standard: Initiate Vanguard Strike vs Barghest

(+1 from furious counterstrike)
    Attack - (1d20+11)[29]
    Damage - (1d10+5)[12] & Electricity - (1d6)[4]

Vanguard strike: if hit, all allies receive +4 bonus to hit with ranged and melee attacks until next round.

Rex
    HP's: 130/136
    AC: 29
    T: 11 FF: 29
    Effects: Iron Guards Glare stance (-4 on attacks vs allies to opponents that I threaten), LAW devotion (9/10)
    Maneuvers available: Vanguard Strike, Shield Block, Douse the Flames
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2019-02-18 at 12:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaanthios

Having finally reached the door, the abrupt start of the situation having left him completing his preparatory powers before advancing, Xaanthios takes a quick scan of the room and determines that immediate help is required. Expending his vast focus, he calls on his companion to appear.

"Come, AVALON! Strike down these infidels for our sovereign!"

Particles of matter crystallize from the air to form a tall figure with massive arms and claws, and a crown where there should have been a head. Legs that extend down into leonine paws and the faintest flicker of a tail complete the construct, which unleashes a strange screeching cry as it lashes out with two claws, one at the Barghest and the other at the golem that struck Rex.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (1d20+14)[34] to hit Barghest for (2d6+7)[14] damage
    (1d20+10)[22] to hit Golem 1 for (2d6+7)[15] damage

Show
    Ongoing: Vigor (shared) +40HP
    Inertial Armor (shared) +10AC
    Share Pain

Construct 7/7 rounds
    HP: 47 AC: 22 F: +1, R: +3, W: +1
    Attack: 2 claws +10 (2d6+7)

22. - Top - End - #82

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry about the delay!

Melinda quickly assesses the situation. No room for a fireball. That dog might be hard to hit with an orb. She casts, and a shimmering violet wall of fire appears, cutting through all the visible enemies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wall of Fire through all of row 7, directing heat north. Damage to those inside it: (2d6+12)[22]

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Round 2, Part 1

Rex steps forward, slashing at the barghest (hit for 16 damage). Xaanthios summons an astral construct, which hits the barghest hard (crit! For 24) as well as one of the golems (hit G1 for 15).

Melinda calls into being a wall of flames, radiating fire towards the stairway; Cendrik also summons a raging torrent of fire. His call seems to have no effect on the constructs.

Spoiler
    Show

Wall of Fire, 22 fire damage

AC takes (2d6+2)[5] damage

Fire Snake, 26 damage, Ref DC 16 half
    Ba (1d20+7)[8] fail
    G1 (1d20+1)[2] fail
    G2 (1d20+1)[2] fail

One of the golems collapses into smoking ruins, and the barghest also falls to the ground, shimmering out of sight as it disappears back to its home plane. As intended, the tapestry is burning.

Show

Homunculus 14 damage
    G1 67 damage destroyed
    G2 48 damage
    Barghest 68 damage dead

AC 5 damage
    Rex 11 damage
    Xaanthios +40 temp HP; Share Pain
    Last edited by J-H; 2019-02-20 at 10:36 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Round 2, Part 2

The remaining golem steps forward, flames running across its body, and swings at Cendrik and Rex.
    Spoiler
    Show

It was already in the fire, so I am assuming that moving around within the fire isn’t extra damage… but it will take full damage again on Melinda’s turn if not dead by then.

Rex Slam (1d20+7)[15] for (1d8+5)[7]
    Cendrik Slam (1d20+7)[21] for (1d8+5)[9]

The homunculus flies away from Cendrik, landing on a piece of furniture and making rude gestures with its hands.

Spoiler: Map & Status
    Show

Homunculus 14 damage
    G1 67 damage destroyed
    G2 48 damage
    Barghest 68 damage dead

AC 5 damage
    Rex 11 damage
    Xaanthios +40 temp HP; Share Pain

=> Party
    Last edited by J-H; 2019-02-21 at 08:17 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85

Concluding that the remaining golem is as good as destroyed, Melinda steps forward into the room and points at the homunculus.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to N12, Magic Missile on the homunculus: (4d4+7)[17] force damage.

Wall of Fire damage to the golem for this round: (2d6+12)[22]

26. - Top - End - #86

Cendrik is impressed the homunculus avoids his firesnake then tries to make an escape. Melinda's magic blasts the thing. Need to ensure it's dead. Cendrik easily slips away from the golem's threat and moves to the homunculus. He jumps up high and uses the pull of the earth to add power to his strike.

Show
    Tumble to S11. +18 for auto pass. Death from Above maneuver. Land in the same square I started in.
    Jump DC 20: (1d20+18)[35]
    If successful: +4d6 damage and target is flat-footed for this attack.

Claw1: (1d20+12)[19] (flat-footed?)
    damage: (1d4+5)[6] (+2 with TC strike) + (4d6)[8] strike damage
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

The homunculus collapses into a pool of blood, and the other golem is destroyed by the wall of fire.
    Last edited by J-H; 2019-02-21 at 08:19 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Rex looks around, blinking in surprise. "Well that was much easier than i thought it would be, Ms Melinda, you are a potent ally to have!" he barks out a laugh.

"We are stuck until it runs out?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

29. - Top - End - #89

"Xaan's pet is already on the other side, it should continue up the stairs enough to get out of the flames. I can teleport to the far side of the flames and resist the flames enough to join it. I can scout ahead, coming back through the flames if there is an issue."

Show
    Flame's Blessing for Fire Resist 10.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90

"I can teleport past it too. Sorry. I wasn't expecting them to fold so quickly either, so I expected its ongoing damage to the golems and the big dog thing to make it worth it. It will remain there until one minute from the time I cast it." Melinda walks up to her wall of fire, looking at it with chagrin.