New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default We Be Heistin’: The Bear’s WDH Game [IC]

Link to OOC Thread

It is autumn in Waterdeep, the City of Splendors. Cold, howling sea winds blow in the streets. Wagonloads of food arrive from outlying farms throughout the season as the city prepares for the coming winter.

It is a crowded night inside the Yawning Portal, as hearths roar and tankards are drained by those seeking respite from the cold. The sounds of gamblers yelling and drunken crowds singing drown out the off-key strumming of a young bard. The owner and proprietor, Durnan, cracks a slight smile from behind the bar as he serves food and ale to the citizens and would-be adventurers that fill the establishment.

The ground floor is taken up by the titular Yawning Portal, a 40 foot wide open well that descends into the first level of Undermountain, the sprawling dungeon under Waterdeep. A rope and pulley mechanism used to lower adventurers into the well hangs above.

Some of the stools that are scattered around the bar at the back are empty, inviting tired Waterdavians to sit and relax with an ale. The crowd roaring on the far left is currently singing “The Ballad of the Maid Bilberry,” and are reaching the good part. A crowd gathers by the hearth on the right to intently listen to the story of a well-kept looking minstrel and gamblers gather around the tables on the second floor, shouting their bets to the nearest bookie. It is certainly a busy night at the Yawning Portal.

What do you do?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Introduce your characters as they walk into the tavern. Describe what they look like and what they’re doing.
    Last edited by The Big Bear; 2019-01-24 at 10:25 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: We Be Heistin’: The Bear’s WDH Game [IC]

Dengar enters the establishment and Mosley’s to the bar, his armor making small clacks as he moves. He stood 6’2” weighing in just over 200 lbs. with chain mail armor and his Greatsword strapped to his back. He Keeps his hair short for combat purposes since he does not wear a helmet.
    He takes a seat at the bar orders a drink.
    Barkeep... have you got any of that rum with the captain fellow on it? Rocks, please. Thank you.
    He turns around on the stool, leaning back on the bar and listens to what he can hear of the story being told nearby. Sips his drink as scans the crowd keeping an eye out.
    ”Can’t be too vigilant”
    Last edited by Skaaaaaats; 2018-12-21 at 07:23 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

MindFlayer

Durnan looks over to the new arrival. “Aye” he says as he pulls a bottle from under the counter and readies the drink. He slides it down the bar to Dengar’s spot and says “6 copper, sir.”

Dengar attempts to listen in on the minstrel’s story. He can see the man’s exxagerated gestures but can’t make out any of the tale due to the distance and crowd noise in the tavern.

As he scans the room Dengar sees a few figures that catch his eye. A tall half-orc woman is arm-wrestling a surly dwarf near the entrance to the establishment. A woman in what appears to be priestly garb is standing next to the winch that lowers the rope into the Yawning Portal and talking to a man wearing a green cloak over plate mail. A bard farther up the bar appears to be tuning a lute with three strings while at times making conversation with Durnan. Seems like a normal night at the Yawning Portal.
    Last edited by The Big Bear; 2018-12-21 at 07:22 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

HalflingWizardGirl

Squig’s second try at the large tavern door was successful. Next time she would scoot in behind someone else. You’re not in Gwendylheim anymore, she thought.

Squig is very small but sturdy with a quick gate which seems more like a skip than a walk. Her brilliant blue traveling cape billowed behind her as she entered the room, revealing pale skin with a shimmery roughness. Her hair and eyes are piercing silver. She wears brown traveling boots, brown gloves, and a leather belt holding several secured pouches and two daggers.

Her eyes met an ocean of stools. She turned right and headed toward what she assumed to be the back of the room. She listened as she moved quietly. One man was shouting, “my money’s on the woman!” Another was chanting “Take the plunge!” - whatever that meant. She was in the right place.

As she jumped up onto an empty stool in the back, she looked left to see one of the largest men she’d ever seen in her life! Could he be a giant? Don’t stare; it’s rude. Try to act normally.

”Mr. Barkeep, I’ll have some water please.”
    Last edited by mila88; 2018-12-21 at 07:33 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

BlueKnightGuy

Dengar has been too busy scanning the corners that he barely notices the movement next to him.
    What the hell? with some surprise trying not to betray his control. He peeks left trying not to be too obvious.
    !?$#& snuck up on me. Who is this? What is ? Looks like a short, uh, halfling? I dunno. Try not to make fool of yourself, Dengar
    ”Kinda short for a Halfling, eh? idiot

6. - Top - End - #6

MindFlayer

Durnan looks at the newly seated gnome and sets a water in front of her with a nod before moving back down toward the other end of the bar.

7. - Top - End - #7

PaladinGuy

Hans swings open the tavern door gleefully, no idea just how far off he was from home or his destination. After over a week of traveling in strange wilderness, he's relieved to find himself in a city, surrounded by shops and civilians once again. He stands tall and firm like a statue in the doorway, donning his heavy chain mail. His blonde flat top was becoming uneven after weeks of neglect, and a full beard was forming around his square jawline. He takes off his leather gloves and stuffs them inside his belt.

Longsword and shield sheathed, Hans scans the room for a worker of sorts, somebody who could point him toward the destination of his mission, not realizing the unlikelihood that any person in Waterdeep knew of the small, far-off town of Wind Cliff. He spots an open seat near a bartender and a bard preparing for his set towards the back and swiftly takes stride. Noticing a gleeful-looking gnome and a tall, brooding man as he approaches, he chooses his seat next to the gleeful-looking gnome. He gives a quick nod to Squig.

"Good day miss!" He turns to Durnan. "One ale please, my friend!"
    Last edited by Coconut1864; 2018-12-22 at 08:02 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

MindFlayer

“Aye, 6 copper for a mug of Shadowdark” Durnan responds as he fills a mug behind the bar and places it in front of Hans.

Show
    Everyone sees what was described to Dengar earlier when he entered.

9. - Top - End - #9

PaladinGuy

"Thank you sir!" Hans hands Durnan six pieces for the drink and one for him. "Do you know the village of Wind Cliff? I'm on my way there with a message. I've been traveling fortnights, I must be close now."

10. - Top - End - #10

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut1864 View Post
    "Thank you sir!" Hans hands Durnan six pieces for the drink and one for him. "Do you know the village of Wind Cliff? I'm on my way there with a message. I've been traveling fortnights, I must be close now."
    “Hmmm...Wind Cliff you say?” Durnan replies to Hans. “Now, I’ve been all around, and I don’t recall a place called Windcliff...perhaps the Surveyors’, Map-, and Chart-makers’ Guild could help you find it. Good luck to you.”
    Last edited by The Big Bear; 2018-12-22 at 05:30 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

PaladinGuy

"My thanks, sir."

Why can't I find one person who knows their way around outside the city? And this 'Waterdeep' is a large place, how have I never heard of it before? This is getting irritating, I'll come back to this later.

Hans observes the man in the green cloak being lowered in amusement. He turns and looks down at the miniature gnome to his side.

"Perhaps you could lower me in?" Hans playfully elbows her in the shoulder, possibly a little hard for someone so small.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Carric opens the door to the tavern and tries to enter without drawing attention to himself. His plan does not go smoothly as he sits down on a stool and confidently asked Durnan ”One please, beer! With shame Carric drank his beer quietly and avoided eye contact with everyone in the tavern

13. - Top - End - #13

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by DarylMcCraigory View Post
    Carric opens the door to the tavern and tries to enter without drawing attention to himself. His plan does not go smoothly as he sits down on a stool and confidently asked Durnan ”One please, beer! With shame Carric drank his beer quietly and avoided eye contact with everyone in the tavern
    “Aye... that’s 6 copper sir.” Durnan replies, seeming somewhat confused by this one. He sets a mug of Shadowdark ale in front of Carric. It wasn’t unusual to receive a strangely worded request, but the patron was usually drunk at this point and this elf seemed sober.

"Perhaps you could lower me in?" Hans playfully elbows her in the shoulder, possibly a little hard for someone so small.
    Durnan hears this, and before Squig can reply to Hans’ request he says to you “that isn’t a good idea...” with a smirk on his face.
    Last edited by The Big Bear; 2018-12-23 at 10:09 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

HalflingWizardGirl

Squig beamed at the large man to her left. ”Actually, I’m a gnome!” She could have said more, but the sound of the water mug on the bar stole her attention. She grabbed it by two hands and drank. It was so refreshing after her journey.

Through the side of the mug she noticed another large man kindly nod, “Good day, miss!” He seems nice. And also giant. And his hairstyle is so cool!

She put the mug down as the man asked if she’d lower him in. He threw an elbo hard into her side, shifting her a bit. She shrugged it off and narrowed her eyes.

”Where does it go?”
    Last edited by mila88; 2018-12-23 at 11:12 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by mila88 View Post
    She put the mug down as the man asked if she’d lower him in. He threw an elbo hard into her side, shifting her a bit. She shrugged it off and narrowed her eyes.

”Where does it go?”
    Durnan let’s out a chuckle as he hears the exchange behind him. She might have a strange shimmer about her, but what fool couldn’t tell that was a gnome? He finishes filling a mug and slides it down the bar to another patron before turning his eyes on the gnome, a serious, stern look on his face.

“The Yawning Portal goes down to the first level of Undermountain, a giant labyrinth that runs under Waterdeep. Made my fortune journeying down there and bringing back wonders, trinkets, and treasures. That was before I retired and built this tavern. But don’t fool around, it’s likely too much for you to handle, you’ll get yourself killed. If that doesn’t convince you...it’s a gold to be lowered and another to be pulled back up.”

He looks at all of the new arrivals at the bar. “Anything to eat with your drinks? A dish of quipper and chips, perhaps?”
    Last edited by The Big Bear; 2018-12-23 at 06:06 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

BlueKnightGuy

Good job😅
    ”I’m sorry,” as Dengar looks down at Squig, ”Smallest folk I’ve ever seen was Halfling. My home doesn’t have any Gnomes. I, uh, didn’t know, and I haven’t eaten much before this drink.”
    Dengar looks over at the barkeep
    ”I’ll take up that offer, sir.”
    Returning his gaze to Squig ”I’m Dengar, what’s your name?”
    Last edited by Skaaaaaats; 2018-12-23 at 10:51 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

HalflingWizardGirl

After hearing all that, Squig knew she didn’t want to go down that hole. “No way I’m going in there! she exclaimed to the barkeep. Also, I would LOVE some quipper and chips!”

She turned as Dengar spoke. ”That’s okay - there aren’t many as tall as you in my town either.” Squig then squared her shoulders and proudly stated, ”My name is Squigwiggle Quigglethwip! Most call me Squig. I am from Gwendylheim. It’s nice to meet you Dengar.” She beamed a smile, her piercing eyes flashing a bit.

She turned and asked the man with the cool hair, “What’s your name?”
    Last edited by mila88; 2018-12-24 at 11:34 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaaaaats View Post
    Dengar looks over at the barkeep
    ”I’ll take up that offer, sir.”
    “No way I’m going in there!” she exclaimed to the barkeep. ”Also, I would LOVE some quipper and chips!”
    Durnan looks to the gnome and nods. “Good, maybe someday you’ll be ready. I’ll put your orders in.” He then turns behind the bar and rings a bell on the wall twice.

A few minutes later a woman comes through a door on one side of the back of the bar with two trays and sets them down in front of you. “Here you go, enjoy!” She says before turning away and going back to the kitchen. Before she leaves, Durnan says to her “Thanks Bonnie.” On the trays are a few pieces of fried quipper and some fried potatoes, steam still rising from the food. Durnan says to you “That’ll be three silver each.”

19. - Top - End - #19

HalflingWizardGirl

Squig fumbled inside her cape, pulled out three silver and stacked them neatly into the bar.

In her gleeful voice, she asked,”Mr. Durnan, I hear there are many guilds in Waterdeep. I am an artisan and am curious how one might join a guild.”

I wonder if they would take someone like me.

20. - Top - End - #20

MindFlayer

Squig fumbled inside her cape, pulled out three silver and stacked them neatly into the bar.

In her gleeful voice, she asked,”Mr. Durnan, I hear there are many guilds in Waterdeep. I am an artisan and am curious how one might join a guild.”
    Durnan takes the silver from the bar and puts it in his pocket. “Please, just Durnan. Well, I’m not quite familiar with all of the guilds, mostly working with the Fellowship of Innkeepers.” He looks at the gnome curiously. “I haven’t seen you around before...if you plan to be part of a guild you’d better register with a magister first. Bastards will tax you every chance they get, but if you’re caught living in Waterdeep or working in a guild without registering you’ll face heavy fines...or worse. A magister could point you in the direction of a guild, I’m sure.”

Show
    Eventually we’ll get to the point where you can register for guilds and register to live in Waterdeep.

21. - Top - End - #21

PaladinGuy

How dare this good sir mis-underestimate me? Surely he just hasn't looked closely at my raw power beneath these vestments.

Without facing her Hans turns to Squiggle and says, a little curtly, "I'm Hans Mahlman, and I need to examine that well."
    He then turns to Dengar. "You, my confrontational friend, you are of a burly stature. Belay me in and I will share with you the plunders! You needn't compromise your own welfare."

Hans then approaches Durnan. "No dish for me, sir. I filled up on squirrel and rat meat on the road. Your concern for your patrons is admirable, but I'll take one rope please!" He offers out his hand with a gold piece.
    Last edited by Coconut1864; 2018-12-24 at 02:19 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

MindFlayer

Hans then approaches Durnan. "No dish for me, sir. I filled up on squirrel and rat meat on the road. Your concern for your patrons is admirable, but I'll take one rope please!" He offers out his hand with a gold piece.
    Durnan looks Hans up and down. “You really don’t know what you’re getting in to. If that still doesn’t stop you, leave your gold on the bar and your friend here and can lower you in.” He says pointing to Dengar. He then turns to Dengar and says “And if you don’t want this one’s death on your conscience...Obaya can lower him in.” Durnan points across the Yawning Portal to the winch and pulley system that lowers adventurers in to Undermountain, by which stands a robed woman.

“This is your last warning. You don’t know what you’re messing with.” Durnan sternly warns. You get the feeling he isn’t messing around; Undermountain is a dangerous place.

23. - Top - End - #23

BlueKnightGuy

”thank you for food, good sir”
    Dengar says to the barkeep and nods, laying 3s on the bar
    Turning towards Hans what the hell
    ”Wanna go in? I’ll lower you. Belay the rope when you land and I’ll join you. No one should go alone.” turns to Squig”thank you for understanding. Care to lift us up when we find something? cracking a smile
    Dengar looks around ”Anyone else wanna join? I have no where else to go. Better prospects, maybe?”

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Bear View Post
    Durnan looks Hans up and down. “You really don’t know what you’re getting in to. If that still doesn’t stop you, leave your gold on the bar and your friend here and can lower you in.” He says pointing to Dengar. He then turns to Dengar and says “And if you don’t want this one’s death on your conscience...Obaya can lower him in.” Durnan points across the Yawning Portal to the winch and pulley system that lowers adventurers in to Undermountain, by which stands a robed woman.

“This is your last warning. You don’t know what you’re messing with.” Durnan sternly warns. You get the feeling he isn’t messing around; Undermountain is a dangerous place.
    Last edited by Skaaaaaats; 2018-12-24 at 09:08 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

HalflingWizardGirl

Squig eyed the two men up and down, half bewildered at the thought of hoisting even one on a rope, let alone two. The barkeep seemed a seasoned adventurer, sure of himself. Squig would heed his warning.

”I’m afraid I could not, despite my best effort.” Squig shrugged and glanced around the room as she spoke, and deduced she must be the smallest being in this tavern. She felt small too. ”It does seem dangerous.”

Who were these men that they would so eagerly descend into this unknown, and clearly dangerous, place? Squig pondered curiously to herself.

25. - Top - End - #25

MindFlayer

“Bah! Damn fools, if you ask me.” Durnan says before walking over to the other end of the bar, perhaps to talk to customers not so interested in meeting an early death.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Why rush to certain death my friends?" A drunken wood elf suddenly appears in the midst of their group. Everyone is surprised as the elf had been passed out in a pool of (what we assume) is his own vomit just moments ago. He wipes some of the spittle and puke from his face as he approaches the bar and grabs a seat. As he is holding his head in clear pain he groans "with all of this clamoring, how is a fella supposed to get any sleep around here?"

27. - Top - End - #27

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by doodoocrispies View Post
    "Why rush to certain death my friends?" A drunken wood elf suddenly appears in the midst of their group. Everyone is surprised as the elf had been passed out in a pool of (what we assume) is his own vomit just moments ago. He wipes some of the spittle and puke from his face as he approaches the bar and grabs a seat. As he is holding his head in clear pain he groans "with all of this clamoring, how is a fella supposed to get any sleep around here?"
    Seeing the drunk wood elf at the bar, Durnan moves back over and puts a mug of ale in front of the elf. “Morning, Erdan.” He says before moving to the door at the back of the bar, leaning in, and yelling “Durazil! Get a mop, Erdan’s awake!”

A minute later you see the door in the back open and the top of a mop handle moves out of it. As he walks around the end of the bar a black haired halfling man comes into view, holding the mop in one hand and a bucket in the other. “Mornin’ Erdan.” He dryly says before moving to clean the pool of filth where Erdan had been sleeping.

Show
    Ok everyone’s here. I’ll advance stuff tomorrow since it’s pretty busy today.

28. - Top - End - #28

PaladinGuy

Hans, still feeling slightly insulted but now also nervous, nods respectfully and decides he's reaching for sour grapes to save face. He was on a mission, after all.

"I have a message to deliver anyway, best not to play on ropes and cliffs. Thank you good sir." He pats Dengar on the shoulder. "Another time."

Hans faces this small groups of elves, humans, and a gnome. They didn't seem to share any relation, but they were some of the more amiable travelers he'd met in months, and he's happy to share their company.

"Well, I'm Hans, to-be Paladin of the nearby village of Helmstaad," he declares proudly as he forcefully bows from the waist. "It's my pleasure to meet you all, and if there's anything you require I am here to help. How did you all find yourselves here?"
    Last edited by Coconut1864; 2018-12-25 at 05:51 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

MindFlayer

Suddenly, the noise in the tavern is eclipsed by a shout: ”Ya pig! Like killin’ me mates, does ya?” Then, a seven-foot-tall half-orc is hit by a wild, swinging punch from a male human whose shaved head is covered with eye-shaped tattoos. Four other humans stand behind him, ready to jump into the fray. The half-orc cracks her knuckles, roars, and leaps at the tattooed figure - but before you can see if blood is drawn, a crowd of spectators clusters around the brawl.

What do you do?

30. - Top - End - #30

PaladinGuy

These idiots could seriously hurt somebody.

Hans panics as he stares his first genuine threat down in the face, but he knew his welfare was menial compared to that of the entire bar. He beckons over the larger one, Dengar, for backup with a tilt of his head and without waiting, shoulders his way to the front of the cluster until he's just inside the center. Trying not to let his trepidation betray him he stands stalwart and said barks, "Hey! Outside you cretins. You can't do this in here."