A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

I don't think so. They're kinda always going to be a game of snowballing because a lot of the strategy of 4X games is identifying and compounding small advantages.

The good ones have a lot of different advantage strategies to identify and optimise for.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ogre in the Playground

I have gotten bored waiting on the crisis. To entertain myself I have begun the banishment of all xenos that aren't human or of the same species as the God Emperor. Humanity and Lilarobian shall rule together, but alone.

This means the removal of some 80% of my empire's population, which should cause some interesting things to happen. My economy has already tanked, my political influence halved, crime now runs rampant. The galaxy will be flooded with the psionic hybrids and subspecies that have flourished in my lands. I anticipate the rest of the civs becoming massively overpopulated as they deal with the ensuing refugee crisis.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Is there actually a 4X game ever created which *doesn't* suffer from the Win More problem? You always seem to end up in either a losing or winning position long before the end of the game and just have to run the clock out to get the actual relevant win/loss screen.
    Some games (Space Empires comes to mind) had win conditions based on % of total score. Various versions of Civilization I have played all the way to the end and barely squeaked out a score victory (but somehow the last 50 turns were always a chore to get through). Part of the problem is that it is very hard to quantify when you have won enough to have won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Some games (Space Empires comes to mind) had win conditions based on % of total score. Various versions of Civilization I have played all the way to the end and barely squeaked out a score victory (but somehow the last 50 turns were always a chore to get through). Part of the problem is that it is very hard to quantify when you have won enough to have won.
    I mean I've played Civ 6 twice now, both domination victories and despite both times getting huge amounts of land with my armies, my biggest worry was some AI with like 17 diplomacy points in the late game nearing a diplomatic victory and me having to destroy their entire civilization before they can do that.

while in Stellaris, the two games I've had? well I got a good portion of the galaxy by being a megacorp and playing "block the hyperspace routes into the territory I want" but in my first game the end game crisis started happening, the crisis showed up in my space and started destroying all my ships, only being beaten by the reawakened old power next door which was acceptable until that old empire started grabbing my territory and there was no way for me to fight back. while with my second game despite taking all other systems I nearly lost a war with an AI with only one planet left due to the attrition system. still haven't won a game of Stellaris even though I've won two of Civ 6.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere". Hate is a chain, free yourself.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    I returned to Stellaris after a lengthy break, decided to buy the Nemesis DLC for my inaugural return.

I blew up the galaxy as a race of cloned insectoid necromancers seeking to take control of the Shroud. Remarkable how badly the AI does in a war when their stars are going supernova behind their lines while they try to storm a handful of worlds covered in vast hordes of undead soldiers. I snuffed out three empires in the process of gathering dark matter before finishing the rest in one final stroke.

For round two, I fired up a game as the United Nations of Earth, and was being all nice and peaceful, building tall and dominating the tech game, leading a federation. Then I psychically awakened and one of my leaders from a plantoid pop became the Chosen One. For the giggles I embraced the reign of my new God Emperor, set about changing my federation to a hegemony and working to secure absolute control of the Republic Galactic Community. Now the galaxy has been forced to bow to God Emperor Fronds of Khaki, who rules the galaxy from the imperial capital of Earth. One precursor empire has been conquered, the other sends me free ships because I have the head of Zarklan. Now I sit and await the Crisis at the head of a safe and secure society.
    Wait, you can change the type of Federation you're in without having to kick it down and start over? I don't make federations as often as I should, so I don't know the nuanced mechanics that I feel I should know.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2021-10-15 at 01:49 AM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Wait, you can change the type of Federation you're in without having to kick it down and start over? I don't make federations as often as I should, so I don't know the nuanced mechanics that I feel I should know.
    A unanimous vote by the members can let the president change the federation type. I had to kick out some of the other members to do it, because they weren't all open to a hegemony, but I was able to get two of them to rejoin it.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.