A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

Slipped into an old empire of mine, but with a bit of a revamp to take advantage of new mechanics that didn't exist when I first made it.

The Shapa Raveners, a Lithoid Terravore Hive Mind, previously with the Calamitous Birth origin. Never did very well as them to be honest.

But now Shapa Raveners 2: Electric Boogaloo is getting a test run. Swapped Calamitous Birth for Necrophage, swapped their homeworld to an Ocean and made them Aquatic, shuffled their traits a bit, and presto chango, we get an empire that wants to eat every planet that isn't an ocean and turn everyone else into more rock monsters.

My first prey were two primitive civilisations near my homeworld, both Oceans, which means they were probably my guaranteed habitable worlds. They made for a nice easy population boost, as I set about eating the four other planets within a few jumps of the homeworld.

Then I met my neighbours. Pacifist Xenophiles, the poor things. I waited a bit to get my economy sorted out, churned out twenty corvettes and swept through their space, claiming their three worlds. None of them Oceans, the aliens seemed to prefer it cold, so I ate their worlds and moved on.

My next two neighburs are the Qvaagh, a hivemind that is less beligerant than me, and the State of Irzk, a bunch of materialist/egalitarian/militarists. The Qvaagh I haven't attacked yet, the SoI however I have. They put up a decent fight, much better than my first victims whose name I have forgotten, and managed to grind me to a status quo after losing six worlds out of eight, including their capital. They rapidly colonised more worlds, but I doubt they'll be able to build up properly before the truce ends.

They favoured dry worlds, so more food for the swarm, and their pops have been converted en masse to Shapa and shuttled away from their worlds as they cracked beneath their feet.

It is 2264 and my homeworld and two colonies have populations of 109, 64 and 60. I've taken Mastery of Nature and Hydrocentric to squeeze as much out of the ocean worlds I find as possible, but I am going to have to start spreading my tendrils to make more colonies. My own homeworld has stability issues due to the large amount of unemployed drones causing trouble and that can't be allowed to continue.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Slipped into an old empire of mine, but with a bit of a revamp to take advantage of new mechanics that didn't exist when I first made it.

The Shapa Raveners, a Lithoid Terravore Hive Mind, previously with the Calamitous Birth origin. Never did very well as them to be honest.

But now Shapa Raveners 2: Electric Boogaloo is getting a test run. Swapped Calamitous Birth for Necrophage, swapped their homeworld to an Ocean and made them Aquatic, shuffled their traits a bit, and presto chango, we get an empire that wants to eat every planet that isn't an ocean and turn everyone else into more rock monsters.

My first prey were two primitive civilisations near my homeworld, both Oceans, which means they were probably my guaranteed habitable worlds. They made for a nice easy population boost, as I set about eating the four other planets within a few jumps of the homeworld.

Then I met my neighbours. Pacifist Xenophiles, the poor things. I waited a bit to get my economy sorted out, churned out twenty corvettes and swept through their space, claiming their three worlds. None of them Oceans, the aliens seemed to prefer it cold, so I ate their worlds and moved on.

My next two neighburs are the Qvaagh, a hivemind that is less beligerant than me, and the State of Irzk, a bunch of materialist/egalitarian/militarists. The Qvaagh I haven't attacked yet, the SoI however I have. They put up a decent fight, much better than my first victims whose name I have forgotten, and managed to grind me to a status quo after losing six worlds out of eight, including their capital. They rapidly colonised more worlds, but I doubt they'll be able to build up properly before the truce ends.

They favoured dry worlds, so more food for the swarm, and their pops have been converted en masse to Shapa and shuttled away from their worlds as they cracked beneath their feet.

It is 2264 and my homeworld and two colonies have populations of 109, 64 and 60. I've taken Mastery of Nature and Hydrocentric to squeeze as much out of the ocean worlds I find as possible, but I am going to have to start spreading my tendrils to make more colonies. My own homeworld has stability issues due to the large amount of unemployed drones causing trouble and that can't be allowed to continue.
    Are you going to become the crisis? Can hiveminds become the crisis?
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

3. - Top - End - #723
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

A Devouring Swarm in one of my previous games became the Crisis. I was penned in by two hostile federations and couldn't stop them before they snowballed out of control.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Are you going to become the crisis? Can hiveminds become the crisis?
    Didn't bother. Finished up the run about an hour ago, more or less on the backs of battleships.

Was playing on a small galaxy, normally play on a bigger one, reset everything to default and then checked the randomise boxes. Wound up with 5 AI empires, a single Fallen Empire and one group of Marauders.

One empire was already extinct by my hands, which just left the rest of the galaxy.

I finished eating the Irzk, waited a bit, opened the L-Cluster and found Gray. Took him and my cruiser fleets to go kill the Marauders to pre-empt any chance of a Great Khan showing up.

Built up my fleets and dropped myself into the fifth empire through an L-Gate, a bunch of beligerants on the far side of the Qvaagh and their allies. Crushed them easily because they were lagging in tech and had no big fleets.

Spent a while fortifying some systems and shuffling fleets around, then stormed into the Qvaagh, took a long time to put them down because they were able to field fleets as strong as my basic ones and had twenty worlds, so I wound up signing a cease fire with their allies, who survived the war with only a few planets lost. The Qvaagh themselves did not.

Their allies, who's name escapes me, had a machine uprising at the same time as the ceasefire. I took the opportunity to steal a few worlds from the machines, which dropped the meat creatures down to 12 planets from their pre-war total of 23.

Waited a bit, built up some battleship fleets and more armies, then just overran their worlds once the truce expired. Had them dead by 2450 something. Rolled my fleets up to the FEs borders, then rolled through them. Had to train more soldiers to capture their capitol world, but they suicided their strongest fleet against my massed battleships when the war began, so nothing they had afterwards could do more than chip at my battleships.

Once they fell, in 2464, I won the game as the sole survivor. Decided to wait the extra handful of years to see what Crisis was going to pop out. My homeworld rebelled because I had roughly a thousand pops on it, only half of them Shapa, courtesy of the automatic resettlement of everyone from the worlds I was eating dumping large amounts of people who were not yet necrophaged. Reconquered it in short order, because they chose to leave their rebel armies in orbit rather than on the planet. Tens of thousands of army strength, just floating in space doing nothing.

Then the Unbidden arrived. Lost a lot of ground to them, including my homeworld with it's ludicrous number of pops. About four planets in total, and all my initial fleets. I was not well equipped to fight their first wave. I fired up my Mega Shipyard, which I had finished while fighting the FE but didn't actually use yet other than to build some colony ships, jump drived a newly set up battleship fleet to their portal, quickly churned out another strong fleet to chase down their anchors and set about banishing them. Their fleets had scattered through the L-Gates and a few wormholes, so it took a little while to chase down their anchors, but my worlds were so few and far between that they only destroyed four of them. Once I popped through a wormhole and destroyed their last anchor, the fleet I had camping the portal blew it up, and I decided that was a good place to stop.

Every other species is dead, either being necrophaged or dying when the Unbidden destroyed my core worlds, which I am genuinely annoyed about even though it didn't matter anymore. I had so many people on Ith'i, so many Shapa and potential Shapa died there.

It was fun to revisit the Devouring Swarm archetype. For some reason Fanatical Purifiers never click with me in terms of the mechanics, but way back when Stellaris still had tile based planets and warp travel I tried to make the Tyranids as one of my first few factions. Didn't go well at the time, but Terravores gives about as close a vibe to what I wanted at the time as is possible.
    Last edited by Grim Portent; 2022-01-12 at 03:58 PM.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.