New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    So if your goal is to wipe out all organic life in the galaxy, is it bad if your fleets are weaker than everyone else's? I just got my butt kicked and quit the game.
    I mean, it's pretty difficult to wipe out someone with a stronger fleet than yours, so it's definitely cause for concern.
    That said, it can be only a temporary concern. I often find myself weaker in the early game and then ramp up rapidly once my economy is all locked in. Happily, the early game is also the period in which upgraded starbases can most make up for a disparity in fleet power.
    On the other hand, if you're playing a genocidal empire, your neighbours may be rather more aggressive about trying to get rid of you, so it's best to be prepared.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

2. - Top - End - #602
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    So if your goal is to wipe out all organic life in the galaxy, is it bad if your fleets are weaker than everyone else's? I just got my butt kicked and quit the game.
    Determined exterminators. Yeah, everyone hates you. You need to be on your guard and be investing a lot into alloy production.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

3. - Top - End - #603
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    I've been doing some rudimentary playing this morning and it was going smoothly, until the Pacifist Empire I'd force-spawned in to be my neighbor apparently decided to demand I become their vassal. What the heck?! We were supposed to be friends! I'm NEVER going to get the Peacekeeper achievement at this rate.
    It's been mentioned, but you still have to have a strong deterrence fleet to really play the long term pacifist game. When I got Peacekeeper, I was a fanatic pacifist/spiritualist inward perfection civ, and spent most of the game with one of the strongest navies purely for deterrence (didn't help that I spawned next to two xenophobes). I went tall (only took 3 of 4 "clusters" of stars) and stacked bastions on the checkpoints out of my space. I got the achievement just in time for the end game crisis to clear about a quarter of the galaxy for me to expand into. Wound up winning the game and owning maybe 1/5 of the galaxy and never declared war or fighting anyone but the crisis.

It probably won't work anymore because of the new federation types, but I also had a good bit of luck forming a federation with a couple of other neighbors, and then just voted down every war until they kicked me out (took about 100 years). Made the early game where I tend to be a bit weaker a lot easier - by the time they kicked me my science was out ahead of everyone and I had my chokepoints set up to deter attackers.

All in all, I actually found it to be incredibly boring to get because of the lack of war and (at the time) lack of any real diplomacy. Hopefully now with federations there is at least a little more that you can do to keep busy. These runs are also really nice for getting any mega structure achievements you haven't gotten yet - you have plenty of time and since your not in wars and having to rebuild ships, you tend to have alloys coming out of... wherever things normally come out of whichever species you play.

Go Tigers!

4. - Top - End - #604
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I've played around a little more, this time with the Commonwealth of Man in a non-Ironman setting as was suggested, and I think I'm getting the hang of it now. Part of it is that by having a standard number of AI empires rather than just me and one other, they balance each other out a lot more, meaning I can keep pace with them.

Probably gonna start over when the new patch lands next week, though.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

This looks like a fun build. Thought I should share it with everyone.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Titan in the Playground

Oh good. glad the Covian Pox didn't cancel new fall programming on Xenonian.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post

Oh good. glad the Covian Pox didn't cancel new fall programming on Xenonian.
    *giggle*

So, I decided to make my first game after getting the game proper and the DLC a run as the UNE. Funnily enough, I found the Commonwealth right in the same star cluster... And notice that the only ways out were 2 hyperlanes that were unclaimed. So, I've now got a small militaristic empire trapped next to me. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to assimilate them into the empire, or at least avoid them nipping at my heel when they run out of room to expand?
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    *giggle*

So, I decided to make my first game after getting the game proper and the DLC a run as the UNE. Funnily enough, I found the Commonwealth right in the same star cluster... And notice that the only ways out were 2 hyperlanes that were unclaimed. So, I've now got a small militaristic empire trapped next to me. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to assimilate them into the empire, or at least avoid them nipping at my heel when they run out of room to expand?
    Be bigger than them. Kill them first! You've already cut off their expansion, so all you have to do is ramp up ship production until you're better than them and they'll stay docile. I've had to outpace fanatic purifiers before (on Normal, though), and it's doable but you don't want to actually attack them until you can reliably take on their space stations.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Titan in the Playground

I can't stop laughing!

10. - Top - End - #610
    Titan in the Playground

So how is everyone liking the new intel system and the DLC? Who has become the emperor and who has become the crisis yet?

11. - Top - End - #611
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I finished a Crisis playthrough. The Become the Crisis perk is surprisingly useful even if you don't want to actually wipe out the galaxy - you can go up to Stage 4/5 without triggering the full Crisis event, and the Menacing Cruisers/Destroyers you get as build options are excellent for a warmongering empire of any kind.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

I just got the push the big red button achievement. It was actually a bit hard, juggling all the entry points. And all the avatar psionic entities popping up were annoying. But I'm glad I made all surrounding empires my vassals before going up the crisis path. I remember a previous playthrough where when I got to crisis level 3, the nearby xenophile fallen empire kept humiliating me, cutting my influence at the time I was building all my mega structures, hamstringing me, and a early unbidden spawn in my empire, with my fleet being cut apart leading the the newly awaken fallen empire to declare war on me, and that game ended. Made sure to stay under the fallen empire's radar until I finished my mega structures and had the fleet power to commit first strike capability.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

From what I've see, the new crisis, intel and first contact rules are decent. Not the best thing ever but still a welcome addition.

What went horribly wrong is the new pop growth mechanics. I get what they were trying to do, to limit pop growth so that end game doesn't slow down too much but it was badly designed and thought out. I have no problem with limiting pop numbers but the game is having a bit of an identity crisis. On one hand it is saying you can only get 1000 pops but on the other it is telling you that you need 2000 to fill the jobs you need. All the planet and buildings and especially ringworlds and ecus are still running on pre 3.0 numbers. They weren't adjusted at all.

Its almost like they didn't do any actual testing or think through the consequences of their design choices. There is no point in building ringwords or ecus anymore - by the time you can do so your pop growth has fallen to such a crawl that you'll never have more than a handful of pops on them. Building a new colony and watching it take 10+ years to grow a single pop is not fun.

its actually worse for robots - given the factories need alloys as upkeep it costs more alloys to grow a single pop than it does to build a battleship. You are actually better off to build the battleship and go conquer another nation and steal all their pops.

As poorly as the new DLC was received as a result of the pop growth mechanic, at least it wasn't as bad as the new EUIV DLC which was an absolute disaster. It has just a 10% approval rating on Steam due to just how bug ridden and broken it was. Somehow a bug slipped through testing that when you clicked continue game, it instead deleted your game.

Added to those two poorly received DLCs, the fact that Paradox shelved Imperator Rome despite it having a very well received DLC/patch is seeing Paradox go through a bit of a rocky patch with its fans.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    From what I've see, the new crisis, intel and first contact rules are decent. Not the best thing ever but still a welcome addition.

What went horribly wrong is the new pop growth mechanics. I get what they were trying to do, to limit pop growth so that end game doesn't slow down too much but it was badly designed and thought out. I have no problem with limiting pop numbers but the game is having a bit of an identity crisis. On one hand it is saying you can only get 1000 pops but on the other it is telling you that you need 2000 to fill the jobs you need. All the planet and buildings and especially ringworlds and ecus are still running on pre 3.0 numbers. They weren't adjusted at all.

Its almost like they didn't do any actual testing or think through the consequences of their design choices. There is no point in building ringwords or ecus anymore - by the time you can do so your pop growth has fallen to such a crawl that you'll never have more than a handful of pops on them. Building a new colony and watching it take 10+ years to grow a single pop is not fun.

its actually worse for robots - given the factories need alloys as upkeep it costs more alloys to grow a single pop than it does to build a battleship. You are actually better off to build the battleship and go conquer another nation and steal all their pops.

As poorly as the new DLC was received as a result of the pop growth mechanic, at least it wasn't as bad as the new EUIV DLC which was an absolute disaster. It has just a 10% approval rating on Steam due to just how bug ridden and broken it was. Somehow a bug slipped through testing that when you clicked continue game, it instead deleted your game.

Added to those two poorly received DLCs, the fact that Paradox shelved Imperator Rome despite it having a very well received DLC/patch is seeing Paradox go through a bit of a rocky patch with its fans.
    They did adjust pop numbers. They halved ecumonopolis and ringworld housing and jobs. And they are adding a slider in the next patch that allows you to control the amount of pop growth you have when the planet is in mid pop growth and the amount it requires for a new pop to grow later in the game. You could set it up to be pre-3.0 pop growth again if you want, if you have the pc to handle the pop numbers.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I am doing a playthrough as a machine Exterminator species, trying to use the new Crisis mechanics to help me get the Rise Of The Machines achievement. I don't know if that will be mutually exclusive with any of the new Crisis-specific achievements, though.

Things started off a little slow, and just when I was starting to expand by conquering my neighbors, I had a Great Khan rise up on my doorstep and somebody unleashed the Grey Tempest. It was a long slog, but the L-Cluster is now my staging ground to invade the rest of the galaxy and I racked up a lot of Menace just from destroying ships.

I was pleasantly surprised that the new first contact and spying mechanics meant that I still had a need for Envoys even though I can't do any real diplomacy.

Also, I sort of wish you could choose the appearance of the menacing ships you get from the Crisis tree. The junky aesthetic doesn't really fit my concept. They look like the Reavers from Firefly or something.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Titan in the Playground

Current playthrough story time!

So I started a game with Barbaric Despoilers. The idea was, since the pop growth slow down later in the game, I could then steal the pops from everyone else. I started on a relic world and I was trying to expand rapidly. Ran into another species that was to my east (I started on the western edge of the galaxy) and had a bit of aggressive first contact with them. Had mercenaries spawn to my direct south of my capital, cutting me off from going south entirely, so I went north along the galaxy edge. I was hemmed in shortly by amebas and was pretty much boxed in, clearing out the amebas slowly as I developed my few planets. Then I discovered that on the opposite side of the amebas were a devouring swarm! I immediately stopped trying to cut my way through the devouring swarm and started building upgraded stations at the borders. I had no soon built the eastern most system with defense modules that, the eastern most empire declared war on me. There was a long snaking chain of systems to that fortress that my fleet was going down to reinforce my fortress. Then a fleet came in that was bigger than my fleet, but it was alright. My fortress was almost even as well and my fleet should appear while they are attacking the fortress for the well developed defense.

...Except I noticed they were by-passing the fortress, staying around the edge to get the the part of the system to go to the rest of my empire. I immediately checked and realized I did not have the technology that prevented them from doing this with fortresses. I immediately threw my fleet into reverse and it was flying down this snaking path with this large fleet right behind me chasing me all the way to my capital and core worlds. At this time, a species to the south that was even more militarily powerful declared war on me also, and morale tanked, but I did get the technology preventing their bypass this time. They took another fortified system I built that bordered them in the south east, but after they took that, they didn't push any further. Fine whatever. My fleet then stayed in my capital system, building up more ships to max out the fleet to 20 (yes we were still in corvette tech at this point) while they captured all my systems and then started bombarding one of my core planets. Once I got to 20 ships, I had just enough fleet power to be greater than them, and I began my attack. And you know what happened? The darnedest thing happened that the moment I started putting losses into that enemy fleet, the devouring swarm declared was ON THEM! I wiped out the fleet, quickly repaired mine, and managed to re-secure all the systems back the the fortress they bypassed when war exhaustion finally forced my war to end. I ended the war with the other species (because I decided they could have that fort station) and busily re-prepped for an eventual war from the devouring swarm, which true to its name, devoured that enemy empire until there was nothing left and it was on my border.

Shortly thereafter, I got the technology to restore my relic world to an ecumonopolis and finished the first league precursor and had colonized a random relic world that had the CARE AI on it earlier. So I'm not going to get the ecumonopolis Ascention perk, because I can have 3 any time I want. The downside is, I am inexperienced with rushing ecumonopolis's and my economy tanked. My energy credits, minerals, and food were all negative and I was only staying afloat by selling the alloys the ecum was making for me. Not ideal. I called the game a day and went to bed seriously considering abandoning the game. While I slept, the idea came to me for the solution. I had still been able to expand my fleet despite selling most of my alloys. And my beautiful solution was to attack those southern aliens. By accident, I attacked them not realizing they were at war with yet another empire on the other side of them and their war was going badly. So even though I feared they were stronger than me. By the time I attacked, they were merely equivalent. A couple of good engagements on my end and they quickly went pathetic fleet power. I then distributed my 3 fleets over their planets and began raiding. Stealing pops. Now, my main problem was food. I only had 1 world really able to generate food and the jobs were maxed and I was in a deficit. Well, given that I picked the alligator portrait of my species, I set all the newly captured pops to live stock. After culling 3 of their planets to 2 pops and siphoning 15 of their capital with new found livestock, I went from -56 food to +211 by wars end. After that it was a quick restructuring of my economy, getting rid of forge and industrial worlds because I realized I didn't need them any more, slowly but surely.

And then the Great Khan woke up. I was terrified that it was the mercenaries I bordered to the south woke up. But they didn't. The Great Khan was on the opposite side of the galaxy. Alright then. Continue maintenance and other empire things. Constant espionage (the hivemind devouring swarm had so much encryption from being a hivemind plus tech, I had to get so many assets from it in order to push my intel above 35!) and suddenly, after many year, I discovered the devouring swarm was inferior to me. This was news to me because it had pretty much the entire northern part of the galaxy. I then realized that it was being hit head on by the Great Khan! I seized this chance, declared war to end the threat, and invaded. It wasn't a piece of cake and a lot of jumping around to put out fires. I intended to just take systems and avoid planets initially, but as the war raged on and I trained up gene warriors, I then began to seize planets 1 by one. Until finally, I have wiped out the devouring swarm and seized almost their entire territory, breaking out of my little corner! Then the Great Khan appeared and was coming towards me, only for him to die to a plague. A new Khan emerged (which I didn't know he could do that) but he is not expanding any more. So I have a bunch of new territory, new planets, and in great shape. But restructuring my empire after all this is a bit of a nightmare, and I'm mentally exhausted. So I saved the game, shut it down, intend to deal with it the next time I get on fresh, and get onto the forum to share my tale of how raiding saved my empire from starvation and allowed it to push itself into a great position!

17. - Top - End - #617
    Titan in the Playground

So, how is everyone doing with 3.1? I have already experimented and made some new races. I made some clone warriors with the food to alloys civic to do a little investigating into the clones story line. So far it just gives you an archeology site which gives you some bonuses, wait a bit until after it's done, and then you are presented with a choice of making your clones fertile so they will grow and get rid of all the ancient clone vats, or keep the clone vats and get even better clones but still be dependent on the clone vats. Well, I was almost all maxed out with the 5 clone vats you start with and was just starting to put down robot assembly plants, so I made my clones fertile, getting 5 free building slots, having robomodded robots building into their specialization, and mass expanding everywhere, since you pass up a lot of planets early on with the clone vats limitations. But god damn you grow new pops so fast with those clone vats. And all the bonuses. I have 2 neighbors who are dictator jerks who made a dictator jerk federation and have been ganging up on me together since the start of this game and I've been able to hold them both off in a 1v2 at captain scaling difficulty!

But yeah, want to know what you are all doing with 3.1 so far.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

But yeah, want to know what you are all doing with 3.1 so far.
    I'm playing around with the new management specs, so I'm running a Huge universe with minimal in the way of AI. Just taking in the changes to expansion and management.

So a species with no special traits, really. I'm even editing the planets to take away their specials. No low grav, no high grav, no storms, etc.

Everything's tech and spec based.
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2021-09-16 at 09:47 AM.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

19. - Top - End - #619

DruidGuy

I'm having a bit of a play around for the first time in a while, trying out some of the new plant stuff.

Playing a hivemind fungoid species with Tree of Life origin, the traits are agrarian/nomadic/budding/slow to learn/nonadaptive and civics are idyllic booms and memorialist. It could be better optimised but it is fun and thematic. This is a growth that just spread and spreads, spores spreading on the breeze.

Tree of Life planetary feature and the Gaia Seeder building only work on your preferred climate, so you have to terraform others first to get them, but the bonuses are great. On your capital, the tree gives +15% growth, +10% society research, +10 housing and +4 agricultural districts. On other planets the bonuses are smaller, but still good (+10% growth, +10% society, +5 housing, +2 ag districts). The Gaia seeder is a four stage building that will at the end transform your planet into a Gaia world. I know that turning the planet into a hive world is better than having a gaia world, but this one doesn't require anything but energy and gas and is quicker too. The first level gives +10% growth, so one of those plus the Tree of Life Plus the Hivemind gives +50% growth rate really early on.

Budding means each pop produces 0.02 new pops a month, which adds onto the spawning pools you start with, and it doesn't take long to get the cloning vats either, so you can really crank out the pops between the high growth rate and the pop assembly.

And the memoralist civic allows for a building which produces unity, society research and stability.

So stable, rapidly growing gaia worlds all around.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    I'm having a bit of a play around for the first time in a while, trying out some of the new plant stuff.

Playing a hivemind fungoid species with Tree of Life origin, the traits are agrarian/nomadic/budding/slow to learn/nonadaptive and civics are idyllic booms and memorialist. It could be better optimised but it is fun and thematic. This is a growth that just spread and spreads, spores spreading on the breeze.

Tree of Life planetary feature and the Gaia Seeder building only work on your preferred climate, so you have to terraform others first to get them, but the bonuses are great. On your capital, the tree gives +15% growth, +10% society research, +10 housing and +4 agricultural districts. On other planets the bonuses are smaller, but still good (+10% growth, +10% society, +5 housing, +2 ag districts). The Gaia seeder is a four stage building that will at the end transform your planet into a Gaia world. I know that turning the planet into a hive world is better than having a gaia world, but this one doesn't require anything but energy and gas and is quicker too. The first level gives +10% growth, so one of those plus the Tree of Life Plus the Hivemind gives +50% growth rate really early on.

Budding means each pop produces 0.02 new pops a month, which adds onto the spawning pools you start with, and it doesn't take long to get the cloning vats either, so you can really crank out the pops between the high growth rate and the pop assembly.

And the memoralist civic allows for a building which produces unity, society research and stability.

So stable, rapidly growing gaia worlds all around.
    Nice! Only thing I would really change is the slow learners negative trait. I wouldn't get slow learners unless I have a pop that will live longer than normal, so you would be reasonably confident your leaders will still get to max level. And almost always pick unruly as that is just a free -2 to your species traits. the +10% to empire sprawl is really nothing and can be easily compensated with bureaucrats, or whatever equivalent hiveminds get.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Nice! Only thing I would really change is the slow learners negative trait. I wouldn't get slow learners unless I have a pop that will live longer than normal, so you would be reasonably confident your leaders will still get to max level. And almost always pick unruly as that is just a free -2 to your species traits. the +10% to empire sprawl is really nothing and can be easily compensated with bureaucrats, or whatever equivalent hiveminds get.
    Hiveminds are naturally -25% Empire Sprawl. So it's still an effective negative to sprawl.

Also, hive mind leaders start at age 10-20, instead of 28-50, but live just as long as everyone else, so slow learning doesn't impact as much because ... well, they are effectively employed for a longer time.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

22. - Top - End - #622

DruidGuy

Also the only option for non-machine hiveminds is to go the genetic engineering route so you removing the penalties and increasing how long they live isn't too much of an issue.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Hiveminds are naturally -25% Empire Sprawl. So it's still an effective negative to sprawl.

Also, hive mind leaders start at age 10-20, instead of 28-50, but live just as long as everyone else, so slow learning doesn't impact as much because ... well, they are effectively employed for a longer time.
    No, a Hivemind has an Empire Sprawl Penalty of -25% according to the species creator.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Titan in the Playground

So, uh, I found something of an exploit...

You see, I like to play robot AI civs. So I started playing around with the new options in 3.1, and... well... you know how there's an option to make alloys from food instead of minerals? Well, as it turns out, as long as you have no biological pops anywhere in your empire, there's literally zero downside to going negative on food. So... uhh... free alloys anyone?

I expect this to get patched pretty soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

25. - Top - End - #625
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    So, uh, I found something of an exploit...

You see, I like to play robot AI civs. So I started playing around with the new options in 3.1, and... well... you know how there's an option to make alloys from food instead of minerals? Well, as it turns out, as long as you have no biological pops anywhere in your empire, there's literally zero downside to going negative on food. So... uhh... free alloys anyone?

I expect this to get patched pretty soon.
    Yeah, ASpec did a video on it.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I could have sworn pops stopped working if their required resource was at 0. I guess not.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I could have sworn pops stopped working if their required resource was at 0. I guess not.
    I think they do. It's just a bug where alloys are made out of food from the Either and void.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Troll in the Playground

I returned to Stellaris after a lengthy break, decided to buy the Nemesis DLC for my inaugural return.

I blew up the galaxy as a race of cloned insectoid necromancers seeking to take control of the Shroud. Remarkable how badly the AI does in a war when their stars are going supernova behind their lines while they try to storm a handful of worlds covered in vast hordes of undead soldiers. I snuffed out three empires in the process of gathering dark matter before finishing the rest in one final stroke.

For round two, I fired up a game as the United Nations of Earth, and was being all nice and peaceful, building tall and dominating the tech game, leading a federation. Then I psychically awakened and one of my leaders from a plantoid pop became the Chosen One. For the giggles I embraced the reign of my new God Emperor, set about changing my federation to a hegemony and working to secure absolute control of the Republic Galactic Community. Now the galaxy has been forced to bow to God Emperor Fronds of Khaki, who rules the galaxy from the imperial capital of Earth. One precursor empire has been conquered, the other sends me free ships because I have the head of Zarklan. Now I sit and await the Crisis at the head of a safe and secure society.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Yeah, I've recently done a grand hegemony playthrough. Started with an authoritarian but diplomatic species. Got myself in charge of a few local empires via hegemony federation, used the strong positive opinion during any crisis when the Great Khan arose to get myself appointed the custodian of the galaxy and made it permanent, slapped down one of the fallen ones, another one woke up, kicked off the War in Heaven and all but three of the remaining empires all joined my league of non-aligned worlds.

Unbidden appeared halfway through that so I diverted all my power to flatten them and reap the benefits, then finished off the awakened empires.

By this point I didn't even need to proclaim myself god emperor. Every single faction in the galaxy was in my hegemony already giving me all the hegemon benefits, I had 3000 naval capacity to play with between my own, the federation fleet, and the GDF fleet with every possible shipbuilding tech in the game bar Scourge Missiles so nobody was ever going to think about seceding, and all there was left to do was run down the clock until it proclaimed my victory.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    all there was left to do was run down the clock until it proclaimed my victory.
    Is there actually a 4X game ever created which *doesn't* suffer from the Win More problem? You always seem to end up in either a losing or winning position long before the end of the game and just have to run the clock out to get the actual relevant win/loss screen.