New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

All this talk about claims. Pssshh. The solution is Determined Exterminator/Fanatic Purifier/Devouring Swarm. Don't need claims, you just get them as you take them. Very useful!
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    All this talk about claims. Pssshh. The solution is Determined Exterminator/Fanatic Purifier/Devouring Swarm. Don't need claims, you just get them as you take them. Very useful!
    You forgot Driven Assimilator, which also have Total War CB

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Even a normal empire can just build a planet killer and start ignoring the whole "claim" thing that other, puny, empires use.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    The 1000 cost was determined by me going to the diplomatic communication screen, selecting "lay claims", and selecting the closet system to my borders (across from it), then the next one down the line, and so on and so forth until I reached their first planet. Except I couldn't select it because I didn't have enough influence, because despite me being within spitting distance of the cap (930 or thereabouts), it was greyed out. Some math later told me the total cost was like 1030.

Yes, I could de-select the last couple of systems and take the planet instead, leaving it isolated, but as I said, I'm not interested in border gore. I didn't actually verify if that made the planet more expensive to claim, I was just going by whether it was greyed out as a selection or not.

Grey Wolf
    When I don't do total war, I just claim the border systems, declare war, conquer them, end war, claim the new border systems, repeat. It takes a few wars and some time, but I do eventually get everything without spending exorbitant amounts of influence. CK2 and EU4 have been good teachers for this kind of system.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Even a normal empire can just build a planet killer and start ignoring the whole "claim" thing that other, puny, empires use.
    It is pretty funny, though, that the best use for planet-killers is to keep them far, far behind your lines, preferably behind a powerful defensive starbase, and just park them there forever.

There's not really a good reason to blow up non-crisis planets (habitable worlds are rare and valuable enough as it is), and you can't let your colossus get killed or your total war will suddenly revert to a regular war with claims again!
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    It is pretty funny, though, that the best use for planet-killers is to keep them far, far behind your lines, preferably behind a powerful defensive starbase, and just park them there forever.

There's not really a good reason to blow up non-crisis planets (habitable worlds are rare and valuable enough as it is), and you can't let your colossus get killed or your total war will suddenly revert to a regular war with claims again!
    Well, you could use a planet killer that doesn't blow up stuff, whether that be Neutron Sweep, Divine Enforcer or Nanobot Diffuser

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

So glad I finally got this. Bought Utopia too, the rest have to wait.

What's the tipping point for worthwhile planet size in current patch (apparently it changed things around somewhat radically)?

Is it ever a good idea to settle size 10 cities? 15?
    Do spacestation habitats (forgot the name, Utopia adds something like that, right?) help make those smaller planets okay?
    Well that was awkward.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thirsting View Post
    So glad I finally got this. Bought Utopia too, the rest have to wait.

What's the tipping point for worthwhile planet size in current patch (apparently it changed things around somewhat radically)?

Is it ever a good idea to settle size 10 cities? 15?
    Do spacestation habitats (forgot the name, Utopia adds something like that, right?) help make those smaller planets okay?
    The changes in 2.2 made it so nearly everything is worth settling, since the Administrative Capacity 'penalty' for settling two size 10 vs one size 20 is miniscule (while you grow faster and have more Ruler-tier pop) ...

Habitats (which previously was liked since it could pack a whole lot of population in a single system, which only 'cost' a single core system) doesn't directly have anything to do with this, and while they haven't exactly been nerfed, their worth have probably decreased slightly due to the fact that you no longer have the cap on number of systems that you can have people living in without having to handle sectors that actively work against you unless you tell them they can't do anything (at which point you still lose them in the outliner, making them harder to keep an eye out on)

8. - Top - End - #128
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thanks! Really good to know!

Now to boldly go fight the restartitis syndrome, which so far has prevented me from even seeing any planet get anywhere near close to full capacity.. :p
    Last edited by thirsting; 2018-12-23 at 11:08 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

There's not really a good reason to blow up non-crisis planets (habitable worlds are rare and valuable enough as it is)
    You mean, apart from destroying the filthy xenos who are scrabbling around on the surface of a planet you can't usefully occupy anyway?

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

When you're a machine empire, you have more than enough worlds to do what you want with it that cracking a planet or two probably doesn't matter. (I still don't do it on the matter of principle. I do like the neutron sweep though.)

EDIT: On a more annoying note, I keep trying to roll for Mega-Engineering, and kept not getting it. Already been holding onto the two perks required for galactic wonders for half a century now.
    Last edited by Grif; 2018-12-23 at 11:25 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    When you're a machine empire, you have more than enough worlds to do what you want with it that cracking a planet or two probably doesn't matter. (I still don't do it on the matter of principle. I do like the neutron sweep though.)

EDIT: On a more annoying note, I keep trying to roll for Mega-Engineering, and kept not getting it. Already been holding onto the two perks required for galactic wonders for half a century now.
    I know that feeling, it took me ages to roll it, and I had a fracking ruined ringworld in my borders. (Though patch notes suggested that hadn't been properly affecting the chances, which probably didn't help...)

12. - Top - End - #132
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

It was a ruined Dyson Sphere for me, which made it that much more painful.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post

Despite having over 500 hours in the game and having bought all expansions on release (or close to) I still don't think I've managed to ever get Mega-engineering even in my game that have gone all the way to end-game crisis and such. Or Colossus Ascension perk for that matter. I guess I'm doing something wrong, usually I get caught up in silly stuff like switching from Xenophile to Xenophobe halfway through a game and eradicating all the lesser, non-psionic races in my empire just because it's fun (and honestly, to improve performance. Open migration, refugees and Xenocompatability has complete wrecked my current game's performance)

14. - Top - End - #134

How does a tall/mega-tall empire get enough minerals or alloys to actually build anything? Energy and Food can be had in phenomenal quantities from Ringworlds, but the only way to get Minerals is colonies or mining stations.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    How does a tall/mega-tall empire get enough minerals or alloys to actually build anything? Energy and Food can be had in phenomenal quantities from Ringworlds, but the only way to get Minerals is colonies or mining stations.
    Buy it. You shoudl be swimming in energy, so just buy it off the market using monthly trades, or in chunks when your reserves get low. I spent the majority of my game on negative mineral income and it didn't really matter. (And for alloys, just buy the minerals in as required to keep however many factories you have running.)

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

You're welcome.

17. - Top - End - #137

Thanks, I'll check it out.

So I made a mistake I'll never make again and adjusted the Crisis spawn time up, well overcompensating. The end result was having to wait until almost 2800 for the Crisis, and I got Prethoryns again. This time around I had 500k worth of corvette flotillas screening about 1.5mil of battleships, which led to my second mistake. My corvette swarms easily ground the Prethoryn vanguard into bug paste well before the main wave spawned, triggering the 'you win, crisis over' message. Now I can't get the Captured Queen achievement, right?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks, I'll check it out.

So I made a mistake I'll never make again and adjusted the Crisis spawn time up, well overcompensating. The end result was having to wait until almost 2800 for the Crisis, and I got Prethoryns again. This time around I had 500k worth of corvette flotillas screening about 1.5mil of battleships, which led to my second mistake. My corvette swarms easily ground the Prethoryn vanguard into bug paste well before the main wave spawned, triggering the 'you win, crisis over' message. Now I can't get the Captured Queen achievement, right?
    Yup. I made similar mistake as well.

I had waited for over 150 years for the queen to spawn, restricting them to 1 system all that time. I move with my main fleet and wipe out the defending fleets. I move my science ship in and start researching the queen. It gets 72% done, and then I realized I had my fleet on "Aggressive" and they automatically bombarded their last planet to oblivion. That ended the crisis and the queen event disappeared at only 72% done after waiting for over 150 years.

Thought I would share so you can avoid making that mistake in a future playthrough.

19. - Top - End - #139

And now I just accidentally the galaxy by unleashing the Grey Tempest. Luckily I decided to go Tall as per the guide there, so I have a very small and insulated empire near the core where I'm building up a counterpunch fleet while the Tempests go around exterminating all my rivals. My biggest problem right now is keeping up with housing construction on my Ringworld from all the refugees flooding in. At this rate it'll just be me and the nanites by the time I have enough fleet power to go hit the factory.

EDIT: Oh, and the Great Khan is also on the rampage.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2018-12-28 at 01:25 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

And now I just accidentally the galaxy by unleashing the Grey Tempest. Luckily I decided to go Tall as per the guide there, so I have a very small and insulated empire near the core where I'm building up a counterpunch fleet while the Tempests go around exterminating all my rivals. My biggest problem right now is keeping up with housing construction on my Ringworld from all the refugees flooding in. At this rate it'll just be me and the nanites by the time I have enough fleet power to go hit the factory.

EDIT: Oh, and the Great Khan is also on the rampage.
    Oh good. Maybe they can off each other while you build up.

21. - Top - End - #141

Tempest killed him once. He must have breached the cluster though, because the Horde controls every L gate on the map.

My worry is that I need time to reinforce, and the Factory will spawn a new 27k fleet every 10 years. My economy can only sustain so much, so they might grow faster than me.

EDIT: Nope. There were just too many defensive fleets between me and the factory. I never even saw it before attrition ground down my force, even with perfectly customized counters - I was shedding 1K FP each fight to they kill 20K, they had at least 20 fleets just sitting around in the L-cluster alone. And once my armada was dead, I had nothing to stop the Tempest fleet bearing down on my core worlds. Game over, again.

I'm not impressed with Tall play, overall. It seems far too finicky and micromanagement-dependent; sure, being ultratech is nice but quantity always beats quality when it comes to Stellaris combat mechanics.

How well do Gestalts fair in 2.2? I'm tempted to do a Devouring Swarm or Determined Exterminators run with maximal planetbusting.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2018-12-28 at 11:22 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

How well do Gestalts fair in 2.2? I'm tempted to do a Devouring Swarm or Determined Exterminators run with maximal planetbusting.
    Supposedly pretty poorly, although I haven't tried. The new economic mechanics are apparently shafting them pretty hard, especially the machines, on account on being energy dependent, not being able to enter commercial pacts and other such things

23. - Top - End - #143

BlackDragon

How are sectors supposed to work in 2.2? I've tried changing the settings for one of the automatically generated sectors to Balanced and given it 500 energy and 500 minerals, but it doesn't seem to be doing *anything*. Overall, I think the new sector mechanics are a definite retrograde step--I used to like being able to select a bunch of planets and systems, stick them in a sector, and just forget about them, but the new system doesn't seem to offer the same hands-off approach.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    How are sectors supposed to work in 2.2? I've tried changing the settings for one of the automatically generated sectors to Balanced and given it 500 energy and 500 minerals, but it doesn't seem to be doing *anything*. Overall, I think the new sector mechanics are a definite retrograde step--I used to like being able to select a bunch of planets and systems, stick them in a sector, and just forget about them, but the new system doesn't seem to offer the same hands-off approach.
    Yeah, sectors seem to have stopped working entirely. That's my main issue with 2.2, I really liked not having to micromanage absolutely everything.

25. - Top - End - #145

I wish there was a way to outright stop pop growth that didn't also cripple your output. As-is, it makes early game a struggle to get enough pops to fill your districts and jobs, then late game you have your Consumer Goods total being drained by empire-wide mass unemployment and massive housing shortages. And discouraging growth still is only a -75%, not a ban, so it just slows the inevitable.

EDIT: Question regarding Robomodding and Genetic Engineering - is the game 'smart' enough to assign pops to optimal jobs, and if not is there any way to do it manually? You can prioritize specific species for growth or building, but will it automatically assign pops with +Food Production to Farmer jobs, etc.?
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2018-12-28 at 11:09 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

EDIT: Question regarding Robomodding and Genetic Engineering - is the game 'smart' enough to assign pops to optimal jobs, and if not is there any way to do it manually? You can prioritize specific species for growth or building, but will it automatically assign pops with +Food Production to Farmer jobs, etc.?
    The game has a rudimentary prioritization system, but it appears half-baked. It fills what it thinks is the most important empty job with the first available pop, no matter how suitable it is. But if you fire everyone and then start rehiring, it will pick the best pop for each job from the pool of the unemployed. And unfortunately never shuffles working pops on its own.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I wish there was a way to outright stop pop growth that didn't also cripple your output. As-is, it makes early game a struggle to get enough pops to fill your districts and jobs, then late game you have your Consumer Goods total being drained by empire-wide mass unemployment and massive housing shortages. And discouraging growth still is only a -75%, not a ban, so it just slows the inevitable.

I see a lot of people having issues with population growth but it is actually quite manageable if you put in the work. Resettle unemployed pops, re-design your planets, colonize new plants, upgrade your buildings to ones with more slots etc etc, and you shouldn't really have more unemployed pops than you can handle. It IS a fair amount of busy-work though

28. - Top - End - #148

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    It IS a fair amount of busy-work though
    That seems to be the issue with 2.2 generally. The old planet system was simple--you put pops into buildings to make them run, and you built the best buildings to make use of the adjacency bonuses and tile bonuses. If you were feeling particularly fancy you'd put your pops who had bonuses to mining into the mining tiles. The new system requires both more micro-management and is more reliant on the system distributing pops into the jobs they're best at. I still don't understand why Paradox felt it was a good idea to create sectors automatically--the old system allowed me to have exactly as much micro-management as I cared to, and allowed me to put everything else into sectors and forget about them, but the new system wouldn't allow me to do that even if it wasn't currently broken.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    That seems to be the issue with 2.2 generally. The old planet system was simple--you put pops into buildings to make them run, and you built the best buildings to make use of the adjacency bonuses and tile bonuses. If you were feeling particularly fancy you'd put your pops who had bonuses to mining into the mining tiles. The new system requires both more micro-management and is more reliant on the system distributing pops into the jobs they're best at. I still don't understand why Paradox felt it was a good idea to create sectors automatically--the old system allowed me to have exactly as much micro-management as I cared to, and allowed me to put everything else into sectors and forget about them, but the new system wouldn't allow me to do that even if it wasn't currently broken.
    The old sector system was also pretty smart about allocating specialist pops. After a while, when I could afford to do so, I queued every building I wanted on newly colonized planets, queued exactly the needed specialist robots and trasferred the planet to a sector forbidden from redevelopment and building new robots. After the initial setup, I could safely ignore >95% of my empire and be certain that the AI is doing as good a job as I would by monitoring everything. Now I need to monitor everything just to maintain some efficient across the empire, and specialized pops might as well not exist.

30. - Top - End - #150

Yeah, it sounds like modding to have pops consume less housing/upkeep is a better choice than specializing them for output, because you can't guarantee without extensive hassle that they will end up in an appropriate job.