New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

Anyone ever had an endgame crisis just.. stop?

The pretoryn arrived, ate about half of one ofthe larger empires, settled a few planets and then just stopped moving. All of their fleets just stayed where they were, including workers and colonizers.. So I could mop them up one by one and it was really boring.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Yeah, it sounds like modding to have pops consume less housing/upkeep is a better choice than specializing them for output, because you can't guarantee without extensive hassle that they will end up in an appropriate job.
    Yep, that's exactly what I've been doing now. That and faster growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Anyone ever had an endgame crisis just.. stop?

The pretoryn arrived, ate about half of one ofthe larger empires, settled a few planets and then just stopped moving. All of their fleets just stayed where they were, including workers and colonizers.. So I could mop them up one by one and it was really boring.
    I've seen some similar complaints in the paradox forums, though not recently. Sounds like a bug.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, it sounds like modding to have pops consume less housing/upkeep is a better choice than specializing them for output, because you can't guarantee without extensive hassle that they will end up in an appropriate job.
    Heh, sounds like real life. So many people stumbling around in jobs they don't belong in.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

4. - Top - End - #154

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Yep, that's exactly what I've been doing now. That and faster growth.

I've seen some similar complaints in the paradox forums, though not recently. Sounds like a bug.
    Well, that's disapponting. I've re-geared my entire empire to a war economy in prepearation. I had a run with a single gaia world full of scientists and when 2400 came around, I built a matter decompressor and a ring world consisting only of one food segment and three alloy-making segments, to build a fleet in time, and now they aren't even fighting anyone. Time to restart.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Has anyone managed to get the 'invade Earth during WW2' achievement post 2.2? Prior to the hyperlane rework, you could start up a new game and pretty easily scan the network to see if Sol had spawned in that galaxy. Not so much since then...I've found it twice, but both times it was well on the other side of the galaxy from me and had long since nuked itself into rubble.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Has anyone managed to get the 'invade Earth during WW2' achievement post 2.2? Prior to the hyperlane rework, you could start up a new game and pretty easily scan the network to see if Sol had spawned in that galaxy. Not so much since then...I've found it twice, but both times it was well on the other side of the galaxy from me and had long since nuked itself into rubble.
    I did invade Earth during WW2 on one of my 2.2 games, so I assume I would have gotten it if I played Ironman. Humans were a good companion for my desert-dwelling lizards.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

My current game withe the dev version and rolling Glavius patch had been fun, the AI is doing well and I only play on Captain. When. Take a planet, it is well developed, and they have as much or more fleet than I would expect.

Something the game really needs is a heads up information panel on what your resources will look like when you capture planets. Taking over a small empire (relative to me) should not drop my consumer goods from +50 to -600 without some kind of information on what is happening. Plus, some months my resources just drop into the deep negative, only to be back the following month. I think resource rates need to update daily, monthly gives wierd behavior.

Even on 0.25, there are way too many planets for the current level of micromanagement.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Who watches the watchmen?

Queso ipso custodes! - Cheese it, the cops!

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Huh. So apparently the precursor empire artifacts will spawn in the same areas of the galaxy you're playing.

My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

9. - Top - End - #159

Didn't it always work like that? I know I had a huge boost with the Determined Exterminators run I just finished by scoring a free Arcology planet to be my Alloy generator.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Huh. So apparently the precursor empire artifacts will spawn in the same areas of the galaxy you're playing.

I thought it was full random. Odd that you can see which precursor you're going to get simply from your place in the galaxy.

11. - Top - End - #161

BlackDragon

I'm pretty sure it's always been that way. It would be largely impossible to actually finish the Precursor quest chain if this wasn't the case, surely? (Like the "scan these critters" quest that's pretty much impossible to complete until late game because there's always at least one that's in a hostile empire whose borders are closed to you).

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's always been that way. It would be largely impossible to actually finish the Precursor quest chain if this wasn't the case, surely? (Like the "scan these critters" quest that's pretty much impossible to complete until late game because there's always at least one that's in a hostile empire whose borders are closed to you).
    Pretty sure it WAS full on random back in the beginning, I think for the first 6-12 months (guesstimate) of Stellaris' life it was pretty much impossible to finish Precursor quest chain because you'd inevitably be blocked from accessing enough/the right systems, and AI would scan them before you leaving no anomalies to be discovered. It's been a while though so I might be misremembering a bit but I'm certain the Precursor quest chain had its share of issues back in the day

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    Pretty sure it WAS full on random back in the beginning, I think for the first 6-12 months (guesstimate) of Stellaris' life it was pretty much impossible to finish Precursor quest chain because you'd inevitably be blocked from accessing enough/the right systems, and AI would scan them before you leaving no anomalies to be discovered. It's been a while though so I might be misremembering a bit but I'm certain the Precursor quest chain had its share of issues back in the day
    Correct. The meta way to play back then was to deliberately not contact the AI, and not to share star map information with them once you do, since at that time, star systems are not automatically explored even after contact. All to ensure you could grab anomalies from surveying.

The percursor chain was also fully random at that point, and not being able to finish it was the rule, rather than the exception. It was only in a later patch that PDX added events that would guarantee you all artifacts regardless of how many you found through anomalies.

14. - Top - End - #164

Welp, my game is entirely borked now.

So, what happened? Had a gam running for two centuries, all going well, and suddenly, all my starbases vanished. Just... gone. Reloaded, didn't help. Lost all the systems they were previously in, too.

So, started up a new game. One month in, the shipyard in my starting system vanishes. And all the resources gathered in it. Couldn't rebuild it either.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Any tips on trying to play tall? I'm looking at starting a megacorp run, but my natural instinct is to spread out and obviously you can't do that as much as a corp. What happens if you start off with nothing but systems with only a couple resources around you? Are you just screwed? How do you successfully build naval capacity so you don't just get run over by that aggressive neighbor that always seems to spawn? Things like that.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

16. - Top - End - #166

Megacorps are a bit luck dependent. If you get any neighbor who isn't actively murderous or a hivemind, immediately send them a gift of a few thousand resources so they'll sign a commercial agreement. Those can even in the early game produce something like 30 energy per month per branch, and hundreds by the midgame.

Apart from that, nah. Just stay under your empire cap. Get two planets, make one a foundry world and one all the rest, grab a dozen systems and focus on the good ones. Get megaengineering as soon as you can, build a matter decompressor and all your resource needs are solved.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Any tips on trying to play tall? I'm looking at starting a megacorp run, but my natural instinct is to spread out and obviously you can't do that as much as a corp. What happens if you start off with nothing but systems with only a couple resources around you? Are you just screwed? How do you successfully build naval capacity so you don't just get run over by that aggressive neighbor that always seems to spawn? Things like that.

Posted this earlier. Maybe it will help.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Welp, my game is entirely borked now.

So, what happened? Had a gam running for two centuries, all going well, and suddenly, all my starbases vanished. Just... gone. Reloaded, didn't help. Lost all the systems they were previously in, too.

So, started up a new game. One month in, the shipyard in my starting system vanishes. And all the resources gathered in it. Couldn't rebuild it either.
    Yikes! I think you've imported a Crisis into the real world, and it's eating your Stellaris!
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2019-01-05 at 02:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

New Xenonian News!

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Lol, is naked Corvette meta making a return?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

And gettin' some CK2 in there as well. Niiiice.

22. - Top - End - #172

Von Habsburg is on at least one human name list, I've seen it.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Lol, is naked Corvette meta making a return?
    Sort of. The best anti-piracy patrol under the new trade system is utterly, utterly naked corvettes. No defenses, no guns, just an empty shell with an engine and a hyperdrive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

24. - Top - End - #174

I've found vast flotillas of disruptor corvettes to be my weapon of choice in the mid-endgame. High attrition than battleships, but they're also far cheaper and faster to replace losses for.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been doing missile and autocannon corvettes and those seem to do a pretty good job. By the time the autocannons chew three the shields, the missiles get rid of the armor and then both can eat away at hull.

26. - Top - End - #176

That's why I like pure disruptors. Probably not the most optimal design meta-wise, but being able to just NOPE through enemy shields and armor like they don't exist makes for a good all-purpose utility ship.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

That's why I like pure disruptors. Probably not the most optimal design meta-wise, but being able to just NOPE through enemy shields and armor like they don't exist makes for a good all-purpose utility ship.
    Disruptors are best against the Unbidden, which are almost entirely shields.

28. - Top - End - #178

BlackDragon

I'm still using Void Beams for some of my loadout. The damage isn't super great, but you can't ignore that +400% shield damage. Combine them with other weapons that are good against armour and hull (e.g. lasers) and you get a good combo going.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

I think I consistently underestimate how good disruptors are, given that they can triple your effective damage.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Depending on the enemy, it actually CAN be the most optimal design. Fallen/Awakened Empires and the Contingency are definitely heavy enough on shields and armor that disruptors (and their bigger equivalents, Arc Emitters and Void Cloud Lightning) are the best choice. The Unbidden might also fall into this category as well. And by the time you're fighting Fallen Empires, you're probably big enough for sheer weight to overcome a bit of inefficiency when fighting "normal" enemies
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!