New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

OK, just encountered a bug I've never seen before...I loaded up my game and went about my business as usual, then one of my scientists died. I went to pick a replacement and noticed the game was saying all three of my technology leaders were available! Thinking it might have somehow removed them from their jobs I went to check, but no, they were still there. As an experiment I picked one for the science ship, and she's now both aboard the ship and leading engineering research! Her profile says she's just commanding the ship, but her portrait is there in the Technology tab and the numbers indicate she's doing her job there as she should.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I'm still using Void Beams for some of my loadout. The damage isn't super great, but you can't ignore that +400% shield damage. Combine them with other weapons that are good against armour and hull (e.g. lasers) and you get a good combo going.
    Void beams? I don't think I've seen those? Unless I'm just not remembering the name for some reason.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Cloud Lightning is my guess. The tech gained from Void Clouds.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Void beams? I don't think I've seen those? Unless I'm just not remembering the name for some reason.
    I think those are one of the weapons you can get from "salvaging" space monsters.
    Former Owner of GiTP's fanciest Bloodbowl Team: The Fancy Lads
    The League's Self-Proclaimed Perennial Favorites and Season III Champions!
    Current Owner and Manager of Rampant Professionalism

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Cloud Lightning is my guess. The tech gained from Void Clouds.
    No, the Null Void Beam is a different thing, despite the name. Deals something like +400% to shields, but -75% to armor and hull. A bit of Googling suggests that a) it's a recent-ish addition to the game, and b) you only get the tech option through certain events or special circumstances, so there's a good chance you'll never see it on a given playthrough.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

6. - Top - End - #186

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    No, the Null Void Beam is a different thing, despite the name. Deals something like +400% to shields, but -75% to armor and hull.
    Yeah, this. I honestly can't remember where I got that tech--it must have been pretty early doors because I've been using them since I only had corvettes.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Yeah, this. I honestly can't remember where I got that tech--it must have been pretty early doors because I've been using them since I only had corvettes.
    Spoiler: void beam source
    Show
    There's a new anomaly where you discover a portal to a parallel dimension on one of your planets. One of the possible dimensions is a void where nothing lives, except some sort of "presence". If you study the void, you get void beams.

I expected more from them, to be honest.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

8. - Top - End - #188

BlackDragon

Ah yes, I remember now.

Spoiler
    Show

I still have the "portal study" job on that planet, which I think was the third one I colonised? In any case, you wouldn't expect a tech which can be learned randomly extremely early in the game to be world-shattering--they usually hide those behind much more complicated quest chains.
    Last edited by factotum; 2019-01-11 at 07:34 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189

They occasionally do hand out pretty game-breaking weapons. I once found one of the battle-ship sized spinal mount weapons for free in a one-stage event at around the time when I had just researched level 3 lasers.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #190

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    They occasionally do hand out pretty game-breaking weapons. I once found one of the battle-ship sized spinal mount weapons for free in a one-stage event at around the time when I had just researched level 3 lasers.
    But you still need to research battleships to make use of that, which is quite far in to the tech tree. Null void beams can be fitted to corvettes!

11. - Top - End - #191
    Bugbear in the Playground

...Well then. A Ravenous Horde with the elf portrait is definitely one of the more viscerally unnerving things I've come across. What is this, Dwarf Fortress?

Later followed by me purging their species off the face of the galaxy and resettling their planets. I imagine the fighting on the ground must've been a pretty disturbing affair. At least I wasn't humanoid myself, so there was no paranoia of man-eating elves infiltrating my species by simply covering their ears, but...

Spoiler: Screenshot
    Show
    Last edited by SilverLeaf167; 2019-01-14 at 07:00 AM.
    Saga of the Slavs – Paradox Megacampaign AAR (continued at last!)

Sovereign Levander on Steam

12. - Top - End - #192
    Banned

Planetar

God, I'd love to have actual Espionage like that. Chameleon Skinned Infiltrators kidnapping leaders and tech, stealing enemy ships and making false flag attacks/ pretending to be another race, stealthing between enemy fleets.

Give me Assault Boats and Teleport Attacks added in to seize command of enemy ships mid battle, make manpower another form of hit points. Being part of multiple federations in secret and going all Isstvan Massacre...

Becoming a version of the Curators/Shadow brokers, where you can sell information and manipulate others into doing what you want, where you can sell false information that will direct individuals to trapped systems or depowering their weaponry while being able to do the other.

I'd love to see that brought into the game. Be a right dirty boy.

13. - Top - End - #193

BlackDragon

I need to get a new computer. My current one chugs so hard playing Stellaris, and Paradox are apparently incapable of moving the UI onto a different thread to keep it responsive, so mis-clicks are a problem. The other day, for instance, I inadvertently moved my empire capital to a new colony in the back end of nowhere which didn't have an upgraded outpost, which completely destroyed my carefully set up trade network and sent me into deep negatives on both energy and consumer goods.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Tried to start up a megacorp game the other day. First four encounters were marauders, a fallen empire, a fanatic xenophobe that immediately rivaled me, and a devouring swarm. Game. PLEASE!!
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Tried to start up a megacorp game the other day. First four encounters were marauders, a fallen empire, a fanatic xenophobe that immediately rivaled me, and a devouring swarm. Game. PLEASE!!
    It doesn't want what you're selling.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

16. - Top - End - #196

Haven't made the best experiences with corps either. Of three games, two had no useful neighbors and so had to just build up like regular empires. The last one befriended about six other empires and got to an energy income of about +500 by the midgame.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

17. - Top - End - #197

BlackDragon

And of course, any empire you form deals with as a Megacorp also benefits, so you have to be pretty sure you're going to be friendly with them for the entire game, or else you're handing them an advantage you don't want them to have!

18. - Top - End - #198

Is there any tactical environment where using carriers and strike craft is good?

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

Is there any tactical environment where using carriers and strike craft is good?
    If anyone here knows, I'd like to know as well. The way strike crafts has been handled in Stellaris has been abysmal.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Banned

Planetar

Short answer: No.

Long Answer: strike craft stations have better anti piracy effects for trade value. Otherwise no. Don't forget that AI overestimates the DPS of Anti Fighter Weaponry as a general rule, making not taking Strike crafts already an immediate upgrade over an equal ship using other weaponry.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Kadesh View Post
    Short answer: No.

Long Answer: strike craft stations have better anti piracy effects for trade value. Otherwise no. Don't forget that AI overestimates the DPS of Anti Fighter Weaponry as a general rule, making not taking Strike crafts already an immediate upgrade over an equal ship using other weaponry.
    I'm not sure if it is the case, but I think strike craft have a long range. This means that having a squadron on a station can help you force fleets into combat at longer ranges.

Despite that, using strike craft is basically a malus except for some niche circumstances regarding point defense targeting priority and missile weapons (I think that was the case, I haven't re-checked since the last big combat pass).
    Former Owner of GiTP's fanciest Bloodbowl Team: The Fancy Lads
    The League's Self-Proclaimed Perennial Favorites and Season III Champions!
    Current Owner and Manager of Rampant Professionalism

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by houlio View Post
    I'm not sure if it is the case, but I think strike craft have a long range. This means that having a squadron on a station can help you force fleets into combat at longer ranges.
    An FTL inhibitor also forces fleets into combat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

23. - Top - End - #203

If we were the devs, what could we do to make them better? What niche could strike craft possibly carve out, combat-wise, that one of the existing weapon types aren't already dominant at?

24. - Top - End - #204

BlackDragon

Give them a secondary point defence ability as well as their attack, maybe? There isn't any other weapon in the game that combines both capabilities in a single weapon slot, AFAIK.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Sad to hear that strike craft aren't good; I have this notion of recreating the bliss that is Protoss Carriers, with clouds of Interceptors blotting out the sun, and it sounds like that's not even remotely achievable.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Strikecraft work, they just aren't good compared to other stuff. I sometimes use them for flavor.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Who watches the watchmen?

Queso ipso custodes! - Cheese it, the cops!

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Will I restarted as the United Nations of Sol, and I'm having a lot more fun. Maybe it's because the fact I'm not Xenophobic means I'm not being forced into wars all the time to please my citizens, and the lack of a need to maintain a large space fleet means I've been surplus in everything since I started.

Did get to the first election without fulfilling the president's promise to bring in more Energy Credits, because I'd hit it by just six and hadn't recovered from building a new fleet just in case these new aliens were aggressive. But my second president is well on their way to fulfilling their campaign promises, even if I had to hire a new scientist to replace them.

I'm finding that making trade and research agreements is causing the game to be much more enjoyable, and am already slowly heading towards setting up the United Federation of Galaxy.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

If we were the devs, what could we do to make them better? What niche could strike craft possibly carve out, combat-wise, that one of the existing weapon types aren't already dominant at?
    The main problem with them is that the Stellaris combat forces you to use carriers in a way that's counter to their actual strengths. Namely, cruising TOWARDS enemy ships while in combat instead of staying well out of range while your fighters/bombers actually fight.

The whole strength of a carrier is that the carrier itself does not have to fight, and any ship that wants a crack at the carrier is severely outranged by the fighters/bombers before they ever get to the carrier.

In Stellaris, there is no way to keep the carrier itself out of combat with other ships, and the carrier is forced to close to within weapons range of other ships by the AI. In a lot of cases the carrier is actually already being fired upon before their fighters/bombers even finish travel time and start engaging the enemy.

The only way to make carriers actually a useable option is to

1) Fix the AI on the fighters/bombers so they actually fight the entire time and not fly around the whole system doing nothing
    2) Add some kind of system tactical option on top of the 'Picket', 'Artillery', for 'Carrier', that sets as its in-combat behavior the carrier running AWAY from enemy ships direct fire weapons to give the fighters/bombers time to actually work.

But they're unlikely to do that as that would actually require AI coding, and if carriers were actually viable in endgame fleets with dozens of battleships it would KILL the game engine, so they'll probably just keep being useless.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2019-01-16 at 11:27 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

I have some sympathy with the devs - the delicate balance between point-defence and fighters and missiles was the single hardest thing in Accelerate and Attack! to balance (again noting it took me a decade and a half to rite those rules) - and part of it there is in the maneuvering and game-theory that you can't replicate in a real-time and/or automated system.

What I DO think almost all of the space-games get... not exactly wrong, perhaps, but sub-optimal, is that movement speeds should be way higher relative to map sizes and turn capability should be much lower. Then you don't get the whole "two clumps slowly move towards each other" syndrome nearly so much.

Stellaris specifically needs to take some leaves out of AI War's playbook and introduce proper kiting AI programming. Then movement speed becomes more important than how quickly your ships get to the point they slow to a stop and slug at each other, they'll always be chasing each other round more.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aight, i can grok the new economy now. But is there any intention of maybe rolling back the sector changes? I liked them before the 2.2 patch. I miss my sector stockpile piggy banks. An my manually created sector borders. And my halfway sane governors.

I really hope they fix the sector AI so you can leave a sector alone again without the governor running it into the ground.