New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

Quote Originally Posted by GameMaster_Phil View Post
    Aight, i can grok the new economy now. But is there any intention of maybe rolling back the sector changes? I liked them before the 2.2 patch. I miss my sector stockpile piggy banks. An my manually created sector borders. And my halfway sane governors.

I really hope they fix the sector AI so you can leave a sector alone again without the governor running it into the ground.
    Anybody that thinks they can 'fix' the sector AI is implying that it was ever good in the first place. Which is false. It was ALWAYS bad. It was insanely slow to fill in empty spots and upgrade buildings, and it allocated population to existing buildings in a basically random way, never built building to take advantage of adjacency effect, even when you had respect tile resources turned on it would screw it up, and when you had functioning buildings would not only not move populations to work them, but if you tried to move them would move them BACK to empty, lower-resource squares.

The only difference was you could do a single pass on a planet, lay down all buildings, turn off redevelopment, and then hand it off, thus avoiding the sector AI almost entirely (its population allocation to buildings was still terrible but whatever).

So they couldn't get the AI right in the first place when it only had 5 resources to deal with (power, food, minerals, unity, research), and you think they're going to get it right when they have THIRTEEN resources to deal with? (power, food, minerals, unity, alloys, consumer goods, housing, amenities, motes, gas, crystals, stability).

You, sir, are fabulously optimistic about Paradox's ability to program an AI.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2019-05-02 at 06:23 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

If you play with the Better AI mod (and really, why wouldn't you?) sectors were pretty good. I also wish for their return.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Who watches the watchmen?

Queso ipso custodes! - Cheese it, the cops!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well at least let me have the sector stockpiles if anything.

Right now, managing planets is such a pain for me that it creates the situation where I do not want to get more than ca. 15 planets. It becomes a chore to manage them all. What I do is: Scroll through the planet bar, look for overcrowding or missing job symbols, then deal with that. Repeat ad nauseam. I don't know if thats significantly better than the older system. And I don't know if, as a game, you want your players to feel that way.

Speaking of mods: Which do you use? I use Imperium of Man namelist and the gothic ships (Imperial and Chaos) from the Sons of Sigmar steam workshop.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Colossus in the Playground

More Traditions is the big one for me, since those in the base game get a bit boring. Currently, I'm testing a spin-off of that one, which arranges about a hundred traditions from More Traditions into a tech-tree style thing, which looks pretty good.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a happy medium between seven (varying according to ethics) and 40+, which I why I never bothered with that mod.

6. - Top - End - #216

Try the one with the tradition trees, then. It only has about seven starting traditions, and then branches from there. I found it quite nice.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll keep that one in mind. I haven't played since 2.2 came out though, so I'll need to relearn the entire economic side of the game.

8. - Top - End - #218

My main Problem with traditions was that in a longer game, I'd often end up taking almost all of them, which got boring

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

I wish there was roughly 21 traditions - that's about how many idea trees there are in EUIV, and that's about enough. They do have some duplication of effects, but that should be fine.

In other news: Started up a multiplayer game as a Mega Church. Right next to my capital? Zanaam. About 6 jumps away sitting on a single hyperlane connecting to the northern part of the galaxy? It's the Wraith, counting down. Follow the single other hyperlane out of my section, I'm cut off from the rest of the galaxy by another civ - a hive mind, so i can't even Commercial pact it. Still, got my ducks in a row and exterminated them. Finally i'm able to relax for a bit, that's where we stopped.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

How differently do Megacorporates play to regular empires? Is it a more effective/different route to victory than Federation building, which is just sopping your useless AI allies/fed members for extra Federation fleet cap?

11. - Top - End - #221
    Banned

So ... it's on sale. Apocalypse is just the boring one with bigger guns, right? Because I can live without that one. So I'd like to echo Glyphstone's question: How big of a difference does megacorp make?

Because if it's so-so, I'll just reinstall and play with what I already own. Seems this is an itch that doesn't need much scratching before it breaks out into a full-blown rash once again =)

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Which DLC are worth getting?

13. - Top - End - #223
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    I have Utopia and Synthetic Dawn and Horizon signal and ... Leviathans ... and maybe some story pack that was included when I bought something else.

But bigger DLC's - Utopia and Synthetic Dawn - are the ones that have added the least actual enjoyment and hours of playtime. But I'm hardly average.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

In general, Synthetic Dawn and Megacorps are the most 'worth' getting because they actually add playstyles to the game. Megacorporations and Machine Empires actually play differently from standard empires, and add the most to the game. But if you don't actually want to PLAY those empires they add nothing and can be skipped.

The rest are just niche stuff that add small stuff to the game that will show up but doesn't matter that much. Distant Stars probably adds the most just because of the chance to get the Nanite world colonizations that gives you 16 free worlds in the cluster.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm unsure what exactly was in the patch and what's in the expansion, but it's not like megacorps play any differently. The only real difference is branch offices, and that's limited to just getting resources a different way.

Megachurches have a building that also increases spiritualist tendencies if you build it at a branch office.

Haven't tried out the cartel though, and they actually penalize planets with crime, which might change how you actually play.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2019-05-10 at 04:48 PM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

My opinion:

Synthetic Dawn and Utopia are the top picks. They both add new kinds of empires, and while I think machine intelligences are more fun than hive minds, ascension perks and megastructures put Utopia slightly ahead.

Distant Stars, Leviathans and Megacorp are second tier. Distant Stars adds a lot of new anomalies, which are fun but often don't show up, and the L-Cluster, which I generally find somewhat underwhelming. Leviathans' titular feature is pretty good, and the enclaves are always useful, but there's nothing amazing in there. Megacorp adds ecumenopoleis and a bunch of new megastructures, which are amazing and nice respectively, but the rest of the content is not that good and I only think it's worth full price because of how incredible the 2.2 free patch is (or has come to be, at least).

Apocalypse is bottom tier, only worth getting if it's at least half off. Now that ambitions are part of the base game, it just doesn't add enough content to justify the price, and most of the content is mediocre. Titans take far too long to build and tend to die fairly quickly, colossi are only worthwhile because they give access to total war (unless you're a driven assimilator). The marauders are probably the best part, and they only really serve as an incentive to build up your fleet to a certain level by the time the Khan could appear - but Stellaris wasn't exactly lacking reasons to build a strong fleet.

The species packs are purely cosmetic, so only buy them if you think you like the looks of the things they add. I haven't bought either one, so I can't really say how worthwhile they may be.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah. I don't know what to say if you think that ascension perks are "niche stuff". It's one of the main reasons that Utopia is often seen as the best DLC.

18. - Top - End - #228

Didn't they get built into the base game, though? Utopia still has a few unique ones, but it's not exclusive content anymore.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Synthetic Dawn, it should also be noted, adds alternate advisor voices and lets you customize them. Which was a big factor in me buying it.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2019-05-11 at 10:31 PM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

20. - Top - End - #230

I love the Xenophobe advisor so much I use it all the time, even for Xenophile runs.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm pretty sure that Megacorp adds a few more. Slick Corporation is very excitable.

Also: I'm feeling pretty full of myself, it's just ticked over into the endgame, I've got three 50k fleets and like 80 colonies. In a fit of hubris I decide to open up an L-Gate to see what's inside.

Luckily for me they're friendly, because I go inside and BAM. They have like 5 fleets patrolling that one system that are each stronger than mine. I mentally change up my end-game priorities - Fallen Empires, War in Heaven, THEN the L-Cluster.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Banned

Federations still don't work, right?

I still find the system for warfare to be laughably, unbelievably crap in this game. I just ... cannot accept that it makes no difference how hard I beat an enemy, I still have to wait for exhaustion to climb before I can end the war. With anything other than a surrender, that is.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

I enjoy the robotic advisor voice.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

WHAT WAS WILL BE

Ahem. I may have just completed The Worm in Waiting in Stellaris. Of course, my home system is a binary, so only one of the stars turned into a black hole. Also opened up a lot of tomb world prime real-estate for my newly tomb-world-preference main species. Though that's not really necessary, since I got a set of Racket pops really early on (especially useful since the Ruined Core sector of tomb worlds apppeared just north-east of my start. I've been swimming in tomb worlds!

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Looks like they will be addressing sectors.

My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    I still find the system for warfare to be laughably, unbelievably crap in this game. I just ... cannot accept that it makes no difference how hard I beat an enemy, I still have to wait for exhaustion to climb before I can end the war. With anything other than a surrender, that is.
    Not sure what you mean by "it makes no difference"; every battle you win ramps up your enemy's war exhaustion. Invading and occupying planets augments war exhaustion pretty heftily, although you actually have to invade the planets, not just park your fleets in the same general system. In my experience, with a proper war goal set, it doesn't take too long to drive war exhaustion up.

Unless you're gunning for total conquest or something like that, in which case, good luck. You pretty much have to occupy all of their planets with invading armies.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "it makes no difference"; every battle you win ramps up your enemy's war exhaustion. Invading and occupying planets augments war exhaustion pretty heftily, although you actually have to invade the planets, not just park your fleets in the same general system. In my experience, with a proper war goal set, it doesn't take too long to drive war exhaustion up.

Unless you're gunning for total conquest or something like that, in which case, good luck. You pretty much have to occupy all of their planets with invading armies.
    My neighbor had the infuriating luck to have Fen Habbanis (first league capitol world) spawn just on their side of the border, when I did all the footwork of finding it. They built a hugely succesful colony there - just to spite me.

Clearly, that would not stand.

So I declared war (decades later, when I was actually strong enough) - claiming precisely what I needed: The worlds that lead there, and Fen Habbanis itself. And went to war. And drove straight there. No stops, no losses (oh, the occasional corvette), no defeats, no nothing. Occupied Fen Habbanis, and another two colonies that were along the way.

Then waited .... what do I know, literally years for the exhaustion to climb. I even occupied the majority of their planets - but lo and behold, that raised my exhaustion more than theirs.

So ... sorry, no. I don't like it, and you can't sell it.

28. - Top - End - #238

The war system has never failed me. Crush their main fleet in a head-to-head battle, then beat up their successor attacks while occupying my desired territory. Occupying the stuff I don't want just racks up more war score and makes it end a little faster.

War Exhaustion is not affected negatively by you occupying planets, that is ludicrous. It is affected by winning/losing battles, having your planets occupied, and a steady increase over time. The only modifier to this is are two Society technologies, Interstellar Campaigns and Galactic Campaigns, plus one Civic (National Zeal). If your enemy gains Exhaustion slower than you, it is because they had one or both of those techs and you didn't. That's it.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-05-14 at 01:19 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    If your enemy gains Exhaustion slower than you, it is because they had one or both of those techs and you didn't. That's it.
    He said that occupying planets raised his exhaustion more than theirs, and that's entirely possible if his armies are significantly weaker than theirs, because he'll lose more armies in the landing and that will mean significant war exhaustion. Of course, the answer there is to either beef up your armies or not bother occupying the planets.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Been messing around with mods recently, and had quite a funny game. One reason was I went Focus and Tech heavy along with a mod which gave more Focus choices and ascension perks, one of which was aperk which gave me extra focus everytime I researched which obviously snowballed pretty quickly. The other reason was that the AI didn't upgrade their fleets unless the old one was destroyed so the first line of defence they had was 75 corvettes with level 1 tech. I suspect a mod conflict so might get the Glavnius AI mod along with the compatibility mod to have fun with next time.