New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: [EMPIRE4!] The Second Dragon Council

Lazar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggiejam View Post
    "Thank you for your kind words. We must congratulate you on your own banishing of the Skyfather and again for holding Avakonia against the dragon's horde. We may not care much for politics west of the Badan coast but we know those who fight dragons and their agents are our allies until all the creatures and their servants have all been dealt with. And I do mean all. We appreciate the Father of Silence has been tamed by...other means but we worry they will only remain docile for so long. With news of this Brinefather's Curse afflicting the slayers of the west it seems impossible to limit the destruction of these wicked beasts by any means other than complete disposal."

The Basilis Ra soured and reached for a glass of dark red liquid.

"We remain dedicated to taking the lessons learned from all the dragon slayings so far improving upon their effectiveness and eliminating the remaining invaders," Kasiri assured the two princes vaguely.
    Zäklis solemnly nods along in agreement with most of what the Basilis Ra says while Tälir scowls at the thought of the Brinefather's Curse spreading to the other dragons, or their corpses, but quickly cheering up at the talk of "complete disposal" and "eliminating." The younger prince stays quiet though, allowing Zäklis continue.

"We think that, for the moment at least, this curse is all the more reason to leave the tame beast in peace. After all, it is the dismembered corpse of the Brinefather which is spreading the affliction. The feral dragons need to be put down, clearly, but until either the Father of Silence becomes feral as well or we become confident in our ability to 'completely dispose' of the bodies and purge their corruption, it seems best to focus our efforts to the south."

Varjik
    Quote Originally Posted by Zayuz View Post
    When Zäklis found Anivine, the woman was recently finished talks with various smaller Lazarite merchants, wearing a perplexed expression on her face and her hand softly against her chin. The arrival from her step-child, however, had her lose it near instantly in favor of an endearing grin. He leaned in subtly, but she was not one to hide her affections - The woman pulled him into a full embrace, her love represented in the tightness of her squeeze before letting up a moment later. She looked him in the eyes and paused, just staring at him a moment before replying in an appropriately quiet voice.

"And I send mine... Zäklis, I hadn't any idea you would be here. Amerah's been dying of loneliness at the palace, she would have loved to have seen you. I should have brought her..." She pauses, shaking off her clearly emotional reaction. It was still present, she just resolved to be a bit more calm instead. "Is everything well in the north? I've heard things, but only secondhand. About the haunted dragon relics... Please tell me you haven't been touched by any of them." Unlike her usual composed and diplomatic personality she put on, Anivine seemed blatantly worried; perhaps even shaken. It was fortunate for her that there were likely not many paying attention to this conversation.
    ([[It's Tälir, not Zäklis. Sorry, I wrote that kinda awkwardly.]])

Tälir laughs as he is pulled in closer into the hug. When Anivine moves on to the cursed relics, he waves her off dismissively with an unconcerned expression.

"Oh, don't worry. I never made it further north than Avakon before coming here, and even then only to Przystań before turning east. And Zäklis says they never got their hands on anything. You got closer than any of us, really."

He eyes her in mock suspicion and pokes a finger at her crown before suddenly looking around in real suspicion and leaning in close again to whisper,

"Aren't we supposed to be mad at each other in public? I did sort of run off to defend Avakon against an invasion for the glory of the Spellfather, leaving you to deal with the consequences of Zari helping us instead. Is home okay? Are you okay? You're worried about us, but I've heard what happened in Karys."

Serene Marasa Pride

Tälir finds Harshad Mminas at some point. "Well met, Your Excellency, I am Prince Tälir. I will be blunt: there is a dragon or two (but one particularly near you) that needs to be reminded of its proper place. Am I right to assume the Rakshasa will not be content to allow humans to do this reminding by themselves?"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Regno

"Magi." The warrior replies, respectfully, then his face breaks out in shame. "I don't want this either, but..." Aeshra raises a hand to silence him. "We have no choice, I have no choice. The Assembly made it clear. Either they be allowed to make war where they wish, or they remove a woman from the man's throne she sits in. They see Regno as weak and decadent, ripe for conquest. ...and this curse doesn't make it any easier." She mumbles the last part, then pauses pauses, grimacing, as she realizes the warriors stopped their chant to allow her to speak. "But I would have sought you out anyway. We need to talk about Sväljåsk's curse."
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

The Pride and Varjik

Now that was a hat. It was ridiculous, so thought Anivine, but it actually made her smile just to see it. Anivine was not all too well informed when it came to the rich and famous of the Marasa Pride, and so she approached him as she would any other merchant across Emjata - With skepticism in her eyes and a curious look on her face.

"Can I help you, sir?"

Gigastrax looked up at Anivine and grinned, "you probably don't know me." His voice had a natural growly squeak like an angry rat, but his words seemed to indicate a natural intelligence. "I am on the council of Raja, I know you understand the weight of that as we are the force directly under Sinja our beloved "god king"." The sarcasm dripped but he still double checked to make sure none of the Riebarri were near to hear his words. Of course only his personal six ravagers were close and they did not say a word only giving side long glances. "I know our kind have killed plenty of yours and you have no reason to trust us but I have some information I wanted to share."

Serene Pride
    Many times Mar was thankful he lived far from the Rakshasa. He had read extensively on their tactics to prepare his own and while often it had been innovation which saved the Rakshasa just as regularly it was sheer brutality. That their delegation was composed of one hundred of the damn things as guards made him nervous. Kasiri however retained a neutral expression that stretched into a thin smile when the elder human from the Pridelands approached.

"High Bishop, we are glad you accepted our invitation. We seek to reconcile what bad blood may have come to exist between eastern and western branches of Perijanism before what amounts to little more than aggressive rivalry now rises to the level of war or crusade. Ourselves and our brothers have learned how costly war between family is. The Lazarite foray into the continent only half succeeded and Coatl and Linnadi navies were completely wiped out as they went to war against one another. If these are not signs from the gods telling us to avoid unnecessary war among the faith I don't know what is. Surely you have concerns and please voice them but know we come seeking peace from earnest reflection on the gods and their messages."
    A cough from the elder cleric before he settled down and wrapped his furs around himself. His desert home was far from here and he had not grown used to the cold, but he had insisted on being here himself. He viewed it as a pilgrimidge a means of fighting the heretic, and perhaps making amends for their crimes against Khompur and Trodje, or maybe even finding where the break had occured and mend it.

He eyed Mar a moment and bowed. "The Maharaja insisted I collected the technologies promised for this meeting before we begin, because while I have come for honest back and forth he does not want things lost if we disagree on a fundemental level and end up with bad blood." His words appeared recited, and he seemed annoyed that he had to say it. It was clear he cared only for the faith and secular politics was more annoyance for the old human.

Quote Originally Posted by Gengy View Post

Magi Vecto had not expected the Pride to come so far. His guard Prilej gripped tightly to the spear he held and was starting to move towards the Rakshasa that approached them. The young Oamenii was of the opinion that the Serene Marasa Pride had betrayed the Sultanate, and was quite vocal about it. Vecto didn't fully disagree, so had not stopped the boy's opinions. Now, however...

<Prilej. We are guests. So are they. You will stand down, or I will remove you from my service and the service of the Sultanate.> The mental order was quick and to the point. Starting anything here that didn't involve words would make the Isles of Lazar an unfriendly place. Besides the diplomatic outrage, it would hurt trade, and leave Regno and it's vassals poorer off.

<Magi, they dare to-> Prilej began, though the guard's stance shifted to one less aggressive and more wary.

<They dare to do as they please, because no one has taught them better. Let the cat man speak to me, if that's what he wants. We taught them the beginnings of commerce. They are due for another lesson.>

While Prilej's face grew more upset and the guard's knuckles on his spear grew white as he gripped it tighter, he did nothing further. Vecto's own face was schooled into a polite neutrality, even if his own thoughts were raging. Still, he had been a diplomat before being a soldier, and you don't get to be the General of a bunch of hot headed scholars without tact. It was easy for the old Oamenii to state calmly, almost uninterested as he looked at the Rakshasa before them, "I am Magi Vecto of Regno. Did you come over to speak with me?"
    Harshad Mminas stopped suddenly. The look of hate from Prilej had been expected but he still lent his weight to one side to pivot and fight if necessary. In the way he held himself he viewed himself as superior to them simply because they were human (Oamanii) there was a commanding presence, that could only exist because he was Rakshasa. Stepping forward he bowed to the sultan but it was very short, and very brief. "I am Harshad Mminas architect of the invasion of the lands belonging to the Kunai, I wanted to apologize for not providing a formal decleration of war but things came to a head quickly and I only had a short time to put everything together for my Maharaja."

He seemed to recognize how that sounded and his furred mouth curled in what appeared thought before he eyed them both. "We are both insulted, you claimed friendship and then laid claim to a gate into our lands. You may just view the Kunai as another vassal to bring under your control but to us they were an ally we could count on to act as a gate between us and the endless waves of humanity that look to drive our kind to extinction. The kunai worked with us and where they settled was planned before hand and they helped us with various programs and your control of them risked all we had built... Our god king demanded we return Kunai to their former status, and your control exists only because one clan currently allows it. We remove them and we remove you. We have no interest in hating you, or making war on you, only returning safety to our nation, and while your current leader is benevolent we cannot count on every generation to be so. I would ask you abandon the Kunai so we can end this violence but we understand that demand is probably too much. So I wanted to at least make sure you understood where we come from in this conflict."

Quote Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
    Serene Marasa Pride

Tälir finds Harshad Mminas at some point. "Well met, Your Excellency, I am Prince Tälir. I will be blunt: there is a dragon or two (but one particularly near you) that needs to be reminded of its proper place. Am I right to assume the Rakshasa will not be content to allow humans to do this reminding by themselves?"
    Harshad shakes his head, "you are incorrect our hatred is for the cinder queen, the spellfather is recognized as an avatar of Rieba and provides a gate in the Aspen Heights that is considered a positive for us and while we won't STOP the beasts destruction, we won't aid it because with its death it means renewed war with Varjik which is something we want to end or at least settle for a time."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    "Magi." The warrior replies, respectfully, then his face breaks out in shame. "I don't want this either, but..." Aeshra raises a hand to silence him. "We have no choice, I have no choice. The Assembly made it clear. Either they be allowed to make war where they wish, or they remove a woman from the man's throne she sits in. They see Regno as weak and decadent, ripe for conquest. ...and this curse doesn't make it any easier." She mumbles the last part, then pauses pauses, grimacing, as she realizes the warriors stopped their chant to allow her to speak. [COLOR="#006400"]"But I would have sought you out anyway. We need to talk about Sväljåsk's curse."[/COLOR
    Shaeir remained at a respectful distance, but was clearly studying the warriors carefully. He pulled a strange object from one of his many full pockets, it was some kind of glass lens, with dozens of tiny rune etchings around its rim. He looked at the Overvann's through it, as if inspecting them by some arcane means.

Quote Originally Posted by asmodeussnake View Post
    He seemed to recognize how that sounded and his furred mouth curled in what appeared thought before he eyed them both. "We are both insulted, you claimed friendship and then laid claim to a gate into our lands. You may just view the Kunai as another vassal to bring under your control but to us they were an ally we could count on to act as a gate between us and the endless waves of humanity that look to drive our kind to extinction. The kunai worked with us and where they settled was planned before hand and they helped us with various programs and your control of them risked all we had built... Our god king demanded we return Kunai to their former status, and your control exists only because one clan currently allows it. We remove them and we remove you. We have no interest in hating you, or making war on you, only returning safety to our nation, and while your current leader is benevolent we cannot count on every generation to be so. I would ask you abandon the Kunai so we can end this violence but we understand that demand is probably too much. So I wanted to at least make sure you understood where we come from in this conflict."
    Shaeir took a heavy step forward, to stand protectively beside Magi Vecto. The Sycoraxi man stood nearly a head taller than his Oamenii benefactor, and presented his bare muscled chest to Harshad Mminas as if daring the cat man to strike.

He kept his eye on the Rakshasa, but tilted his head to address Vecto with a deep oratory voice, "This one speaks in tyrant runes. What folly that a man such as this conducts himself with a monster's doom, but imagines himself civil. What jest is this? He calls you, with such polite niceness, to abandon a comrade as he conducts seige upon them? To speak of the fate of a free people as a dispute of property right!".
    ...with a vengeance!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Lazar:

Spoiler
    Show
    "Dame Elena, if shared faith was enough to bind people we Isles should be loved by the Thecoracy, the Northern Council, and yourselves yet we are chastised by you on greed and evil while the other two bark and snarl at our heels. If you want to offer friendship offer trust in our capabilities to balance the east as the Isles have for decades while pursuing magic that should benefit all of us within the radius of the magical epicenter."

The Arndok gave a conspiratorial head nod though she wasn't sure whether the Dame had been initiated into the Mandates. Most of her countryside had been seized by Mandate priests but Elena had come to power and of age well before that. It could be she was unaware of her own liege's longterm plans.

[OOC to clarify the situation: Elena has not been initiated into the Mandates, she is a "pure" Abhidic. To be honest, I haven't thought much about the consequences of the corruption of my HCs, I'll work on it. The vassalage to Lindeen was agreed to by her father, and so far she's been suspiciously silent about whether it will continue or not. She does not like Lindeen much. Unfortunately, she can't be aware of Lindeen's long-term plans, because I as a player am not aware of them, if there's anything beyond becoming a magical meritocracy and having the bestest magic in the world.]

Elena was confused as to why the Arndok was referring to her as if she shared a faith with him, but it didn't really matter, whether it was that he was secretly an Abhidic (a rather amusing notion, she thought) or, which is more likely, that he had the wrong information about her beliefs.
    "Oh, of course you can manage your own neighborhood just as well as we do, forgive my earlier outburst. It's just that I disapprove strongly of the Theocracy for worshipping the dragon of Palmor and oppressing the Inyoni people."

She hoped that she hadn't messed up too badly, some historical rulers were known for holding grudges for decades, even passing them onto their successors, and a nation like hers could always do better with more allies.

Varjik:

Spoiler
    Show
    There was something about Elena's vulnerability in presenting herself to Anivine that the Siphoner found sort of adorable, considering her own position within her realm. Most nobility she had dealt with had an abundance of pride or a lack of respect for anyone above them, and common folk with such subservience that conversation became impossible. But she spoke more to her like a person than anyone outside her family had in a long time. It made her comfortable - not to mention being called Avakonia's successor made her absolutely glow with satisfaction. Anivine met Elena's eyes and nodded, a smile creeping onto her face. She had not said all too much yet, but her gaze was more reassuring than intimidating now that their eyes finally met. Perhaps it had been harder back out in the main hall with so many people around, but it had softened. She stifled a small laugh.

"I had heard that under your orders some key Whitefeather peoples have been spared the cruel fate that Khirus was to deliver unto them. It was resourceful to commission my ships, clever to take the opportunity before it was too late, kind to save them from death, and cunning to grant yourself a potential claim on the entirety of the Whitefeather lands. Dame Blanc, your nation may not be the largest on this planet, but never have I seen such fine diplomatic maneuvering done in so short a time. I would be honored to give to you the knowledge of Avakon if you wish for an alliance. We could all use a friend in times such as these."

"Oh... Thank you, Queen Anivine, but you may be exaggerating a little. It was an exceptional opportunity, after all..." Usually, the words Elena said had only a tenuous relationship with her thoughts. This was partly because of Sir Theophanous, a descendant of a conservative Avakonian noble family, who had played a large part in her upbringing, and partly because she, consciously or not, chose not to let people too close to her, lest she could get hurt again, like when her father... But not this time. Perhaps it was not intentional, but she was as honest with Anivine as she could be while keeping face. While it is true that she felt sympathy toward the Inyoni, an important factor in her choice was the political calculus involved, like with most other choices she made as a ruler, and at times, she felt like what she was presenting to the world was a fake Elena that never existed. Still, Anivine had also praised her shrewdness, maybe she could understand her? She thought to herself that she should play it safe for now, she'll doubtless have the opportunity to speak with Anivine again, even if it takes years, both of them are less than thirty years old...

She continued to talk, her pale cheeks slightly red. She was still stumbling over her words a bit, though the queen of Varjik seemed less intimidating now than when Elena saw her from afar. "Yes, it would be my pleasure to pronounce Sfaïr to be an ally of Varjik. Though there's one thing that worries me a little, I do not want to accidentally cause any conflict between Dvatla and Sfaïr, and, well, yes, I know that your husband is Dvatlan, but there were, how to put it, some news that reached Sfaïr which asserted that you were, forgive my bluntness, going to launch an attack on Avakonia. Obviously, they were proven false, obviously indeed, and, I am not suggesting anything, I would just like to know the relationship between Varjik and Dvatla, if you can tell me.

And lest I forget, I am really thankful for the aid you offer, and I promise to try to repay it in any way possible."

[OOC: I'm giving you Magical Indicator and Refined Pician Weaponry, and I'll probably give you more techs in the future, when I acquire them.]

Ti Linnad:

Edwin was the second oldest of the late Sir Gerald Blanc's five children, but between him and Elena there was a rather large age gap, and she had always viewed him as a foolish little kid, even though he was an adult now, and the commander of the Clear Sky Pass military garrison, though he suspected that she gave him the position to get rid of him, as a war with Dvatla was unlikely. But for this council (and it was a small miracle in itself that she even allowed him to come) she actually gave him a task that seemed genuinely important, to negotiate a small technological agreement with the Linnadi.

It is essential for a military commander to know his way around heraldry, and so he identified Nocyca rather quickly by the emblems on his clothes and arms.

"Premier Nocyca, I take it? Allow me to introduce myself, I am Edwin Blanc of Sfaïr. The Leader sent me to discuss certain matters with you."

Sycoraxistan:

Given Sfaïr's close relations with both Dvatla and Regno, it was only natural that the nation and its government would be interested in the newly explored land between these two large states. Dame Elena would normally delegate the task of contacting a not-so-important country to someone else, but she wished to make a good first impression on the Sycoraxi, and she simply would not trust anyone else with the task. She approached the man looked was by far the strangest in the group of Regnan diplomats.

"Greetings, Sir. I am Elena Blanc, the Leader of Sfaïr." She wasn't so sure if the man knew what Sfaïr was, so she added: "That is, the land to the northeast of Dvatla, about six hundred kilometres west of Sycoraxistan. It is primarily known for its mountainous terrain and platinum mines." She touches one of her earrings, which were, like most jewelry in Sfaïr, made of the silvery-white metal and inset with gems, in this case with malachite.

Yondar:

Spoiler
    Show
    Yven smiled warmly, confidently in response to Elena. He was not wholly oblivious to what she was doing, but she was pretty so he'd humor her. "Well, who am I to deny a pretty woman in need of aid?" He feigned hesitation before adding, "ah, but there is one hitch. I cannot just give away my nations knowledge without receiving something in turn. If word got out that I was giving it away, then my mother would have my hung by my tail at the front gates."

In all of Yondar's history, nobody had ever been hung by their tail, rather it was a turn of phrase to indicate possible repercussions.

"It is my understanding that Sfaïr has the knowledge and capacity to expand on trade opportunities beyond what most can normally achieve, Perhaps you could show me how to accomplish that, and in exchange I can show you how to brave the storms of the north in search of new opportunities?"

Elena bit her cheeks. Fine, it wasn't the worst case scenario, he was still willing to trade with them, but she felt more than a little irritated that her feminine wiles didn't work as she planned. Maybe she could find someone who could teach her to do it properly after this is over? It is perhaps somewhat embarrassing, but the nation could benefit greatly if she was able to "persuade" male leaders of other nations to do her favors. Though a teacher of the art of seduction would likely be a... prostitute. She shook her head slightly, as if to shake the unproductive train of thought from her mind. She was just going to have to humor the furball.

"We do possess that knowledge; you needn't have asked, I have already been intending to give you much in return for what I was requesting. For the benefit of your nation, I will even have my magicians teach your people the technique of enchanting locks, for free."

For a split second, she considered actually giving it to Yondar for free. The prince wasn't that bad. While he was ugly like all the people of animal races she's seen, he seemed nice enough and wasn't oppressing any nations (like certain other leaders), at least none that she knew of. But no. Elena was a practically-minded person, and her teacher of politics (Sir Theophanous) had hammered it into her head that one would "Never, ever, ever, ever, ever give or receive something for free. And if it looks like it, there is a plot behind the scenes that you're missing." She was wise enough to take the advice with a grain of salt, but she didn't see why it wouldn't apply here. They'd just met, after all, and in spite of the usual pleasantries, they and their respective nations are barely acquaintances to each other.

"Yes, our people are very proficient in the magic arts, or dwimmercraft, how we call them, for example, we are able to extract ores without smelting them in furnaces or "feel" the thickness of a wall by touching it. I wonder if your people have magic, and if so, how does it work? But what I wanted to say is that as versatile as dwimmercraft is, unlike most nations' magic arts it is thought to be hopelessly useless in combat, and so our wars are very slow and bloody, fought with plain spears and shields; the armies often fight to the last man, or, indeed, woman standing. Of course I prefer to avoid military conflict altogether, but I wonder, is there a way to end an inevitable battle quickly and save many lives?"

Of course she had done her research before coming here. She knew exactly what she was hinting at, and if the prince had half a brain, he would know what she was saying, too. Assassination was easy enough, but she wished to train her troops to recognize and effectively target enemy leaders.

[OOC: Trading Surplus Production and Warded Locks for Diplomatic expedition and Headhunting, as agreed before]

Lindeen:

There were many subjects in politics toward which Elena was indifferent, but Lindeen wasn't one of them, especially now that they've laid their hands on her half-siblings. Perhaps her father had been enchanted by that witch Vashta Narada, thank Abhidi that she's not their ruler anymore, but she was going to make Lindeen earn Sfaïr's vassalage. Exactly because she felt so strongly about Lindeen, her advisors had tried to dissuade her from speaking with Archon Atraxi directly, but she was going to make her opinion known. She sought out the Archon, and introduced herself curtly.

"Greetings, Archon Atraxi. I am Elena Blanc, the Leader of Sfaïr. We have matters to discuss, I believe. For a liege and a vassal, there has been hardly any communication between our nations, no?"

Regno:

Spoiler
    Show
    This was a surprise. He had come here for a different purpose, but obtaining a new source of knowledge was always a good thing, so Speaker Basium grinned from behind his short brown braided beard and let the Dame choose their topic of conversation. "You are quite correct, Dame Blanc. We are very eager to have new ideas flowing through our schools. What kind of salvaged knowledge, and was there something that honored Sfair would like in exchange?"

"The affluent Whitefeather nobility had many alchemists in their employ, who, among other things, invented a procedure through which one can detect the presence of magic, something that would doutbtless be very useful to Initia scholars in their pursuit of knowledge. How did they do it again, Kisa?" The young Redtail woman in a glossy robe with loose sleeves spoke. "It is very simple, esteemed Speaker; the Farrana of Tafer sours in the presence of magic, though it must be prepared, and the preparation process is the actual trade secret that Dame Elena is attempting to sell to Regno, so unfortunately I cannot tell you any more details, lest you figure it out yourselves, given your knack for experimenting." She smiled a little but then she cast her eyes down, fearing that the diplomat might not appreciate the joke and get offended, and she would lose her recently-gained position, and what would she do then? Her family is still in the Crescent, she can't contact them, she is a nobody here in the north, and being born a noble, she had no idea how would she earn money for herself.

Dame Elena, though, barely even noticed the little joke or Kisa's brooding, and continued peddling her wares. "You may recall that my father pledged to give Regno unspecified knowledge of Regno's choice in one of his trade agreements. However, I must say that I dislike being indebted to anyone, even if it is the gracious Sultana. While my father's unfortunate and sudden death has disrupted the technological progress in our lands, I have a different offer: Regno is being attacked by enemies on two sides. Wouldn't defense be much easier if it had a banner under which it could unite its diverse army...?"

Elena's Inyoni aide had nervously been looking at everyone nearby, and when it looked like nobody else was going to speak, she summoned up the courage to interject. "Dame Elena, forgive me for interrupting, but the Banner was given to Sfaïr as a token of thanks from the Inyoni people, therefore some of them might be angered that you are using it so, um, pragmatically, regifting it to Regno to pay off a debt. I, I don't question your choices, Dame, I just wanted to let you know that..." "Well, firstly, you misunderstand me, Kisa, I am not giving it away, I am merely letting Regno use it in the times of need, and they will return it afterward. Secondly, while you might be right, how are they going to know that the Banner is in Regno? Nobody here will tell them, will they?" The Leader stared at Kisa, who shuffled her feet for several seconds before looking away. "Well, of course not..." Elena turned back to the Regnan diplomat. "Then I see no other issue. Speaker Basium, I take it you don't have any objections to this arrangement?"

[OOC: Proposal to trade Magical Indicator for Spymaster, and lend the Banner of Unity to Regno for ~5 rounds, depending on how long they need it for, to pay off Sfaïr's debt to them.]

6. - Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Lazar

"We had predicted the arrival of the dragon's forces but not this soon, we are currently creating a new miracle born purely from the mandates to help battle this new threat... We need 2 years to complete this but we hope to be able to send back their forces and shatter them on the rocks with what we have built. Of course, the more traditional forces of Lindeen will do what they can in that time but Ti Linnad will need to handle the onslaught best they can for now and I will support any aid you provide them in the coming months. I will of course allow you to cross through our lands to reach the battlefield."

She moves closer and a look of concern takes the archon, "Mundane matters do lead us here, I know the state of Ti Linnad with the dragon has you doubting your direction, but with the coatl theocracy claiming their capital we fear what may be birthed from this and what if Ti Linnad is forced to capitulate and join the south... I think we might have to work with the Rhunic Animasts and form a new bulwark for our own survival. As well as ending your formal vassalage as we discussed and move you toward the necessary future. We will lend whatever diplomatic capital we have in averting that future but Lindeens oracles claim to see it coming to pass."

Sfair

The archon had just ended talks with Lazar when they were approached by their vassal. Atraxi stopped and provided a smile listening to the concern in Elenas voice. "We apologize for not reaching out to our beloved vassal sooner. I will be honest we believed Sfair wanted to remain as independent as possible under the vassalization, Sir Blanc your father did much to ensure your future prosperity, Lindeen and Sfair are mutually protecting one anothers borders from the foreign threat of larger nations. We are exchanging technology and we acknowledge the nation of Sfair seeking to help rebuild Avakon. Really our only demand has been that those who are magically inclined come to us and learn, and be brought up properly just as your father agreed. We even pay handsomely for the children, most are happy to part with their children for the gold we place in their hand. Obviously the mandate is spread as well to your nations temples so children don't have to be far if parents wish to remain close to their children."

She smiles, "we don't remove the faith, merely direct it toward the greater good. Lindeen has honored every promise if you have any concerns or want to exchange technologies again (we would very much like to arm you with the warcaster tech if you have any magical techs of your own) we would love to."

7. - Top - End - #37

Spoiler: Sfaïr
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Corona View Post
    Given Sfaïr's close relations with both Dvatla and Regno, it was only natural that the nation and its government would be interested in the newly explored land between these two large states. Dame Elena would normally delegate the task of contacting a not-so-important country to someone else, but she wished to make a good first impression on the Sycoraxi, and she simply would not trust anyone else with the task. She approached the man looked was by far the strangest in the group of Regnan diplomats.

"Greetings, Sir. I am Elena Blanc, the Leader of Sfaïr." She wasn't so sure if the man knew what Sfaïr was, so she added: "That is, the land to the northeast of Dvatla, about six hundred kilometres west of Sycoraxistan. It is primarily known for its mountainous terrain and platinum mines." She touches one of her earrings, which were, like most jewelry in Sfaïr, made of the silvery-white metal and inset with gems, in this case with malachite.

Shaeir's expression was an implacable stoic mask.
    He spoke with a deep well practiced resonance, "You honor me with your attention, Dame Elena Blanc, Leader of the Sfaïri Free Alliance, Protector of Cesaria, and... finder of metal. I am Shaeir, Witness to Hope, Carrier of Voice for The Shatter Peaks Sanctuary, and Standing Carrier of Voice for the Revolutionary Guard of The Sycorax. My doom has been marked such that I speak for The First Among Equals in this place. My voice is her voice. Tell me your trouble and we shall work our runes.".

He was clearly making an effort to demonstrate his prior briefing on the subject of Sfaïri, possibly passive aggressively, but everything else he said was clearly a recitation of some kind of ritual formality. The last sentence seemed to be a ceremonious way of asking, "How can I help you?".
    Last edited by DoomHat; 2018-12-23 at 10:14 PM.
    ...with a vengeance!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Sfaïri

"That is very kind of you. I'd be more than happy to discuss the league's magic, but I'm afraid my sister would be much more knowledgeable about its specifics; I'm only versed in its practical application. As far as my nation's military tactics are concerned... we have found it, beneficial to avoid unnecessary conflict when possible by plying our other strengths creatively. When Deja Rhunis penned her treatise on Headhunting, it was not as a method of war, but rather as a method of dissuading other from bringing war upon us. As of recently, events have dictated that loosen restrictions on its trade, I still remain cautious of handing it to would-be enemies of my kingdom."

Yven preemptively cut off any protests from Elena, "I am not saying that Sfaïri is an enemy of the Yondari League, but you are joined with Lindeen, a kingdom with which we have many growing concerns with. If I am to allow access I need assurances that such knowledge I grant you will not find its way into their hands of them." The prince paused, he understood the cruel truth that sometimes a person had to work with what they had, but from what he had heard of Sfaïri, and by the admission from Elena's own mouth, that much of what Lindeen was doing shouldn't have sat well with Elena's kingdom.

Yven motioned for Elena to follow him out of earshot of the many other delegates as he added, "would you care to join me for a walk? There is something I would wish to discuss with you."

Ti Linnad

Queen Tanya reluctantly approached Nocyca of Ti Linnad. She had hoped that the Rhune would have arrived by now but Margravine Norá seemed missing among the delegates. "Premier Nocyca Rossalli of Ti Linnad," She had immediately dropped into her chiding mother voice. "I believe there is much we need to discuss."
    Last edited by SquirrelWizard; 2018-12-23 at 11:40 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39

Spoiler: Lazar
    Show
    Coatl
    "Cinder Queen and Frostfather too once these immediate threats are ended. No one should have their remains or access to them."

"Certainly access should be limited "to the right hands" as the young man suggests. Though that does run the risk of the wrong hands stealing them out of the right ones"

Whether a passing remark on the political affairs of the Isles or not was difficult to say.

Coszcatl shook her head. She burn the empire to the ground herself before allowing anything like Brinefather's vengeance, god know what power it could have if it reached the Lazarites.
    You misunderstand, any mortal hands are the wrong hands. We intend to sacrifice any body parts to Xincoatl and if it rejects them, hey shall find a home at the bottom of the Badan.

Spoiler: Ridir
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by kjelfalconer View Post

Coatl

"Exarch? It's been some time since we last spoke, hasn't it? I trust you're still getting your shipments of... whatever it is you get from the jungles. Well, I'm sure I'd have heard the complaints if you weren't. By the sounds of things you've been keeping busy topping up your land."

Tizoc laughed, the simplicity of these dragonmen is appalling, yet endearing in its own way.

Mmm your attention to detail is on point as always. How have your people adjusted to the Pall.

Spoiler: Safir
    Show

Coatl
    She drummed her fingers on the back of her other hand as the Exarch spoke. She had to restrain her irritation and urge to interrupt the man immediately and tell him that he is wrong. That bastard even dared to call her by her first name, without using any title. When he finished, Elena retaliated at once.

"Dear Tizoc, I simply did not know of it, and would have prevented it if I could. It occurred through no fault of mine, and I will hold the Doge responsible, but that does not concern you, does it?"

Elena made a step or two toward him with a sweet but somewhat creepy smile on her face, trying to startle him into moving back. If he stood his ground, she gripped the hem of his cloak and pulled it a little toward herself, as if she were inspecting it. Then she made a mock disappointed face. "Tizoc, I was thinking that your attire was so perfect with the feathered cape that all the queens and noblewomen here must be having a hard time controlling themselves, but now I am sad to see it's a mere replica, though I must commend your efforts. I wonder, did the people you conquered not give you the original? How ungrateful of them!"

Her amber eyes are twinkling wildly now. Elena found most activities related to ruling boring, so she had not expected to find enjoyment here of all places, and in ridiculing the Exarch of all things.[/QUOTE]

Soon after daring to touch his imperial cloak one of his Kansett bodyguards raised claw in a motion to slap the Safirie woman. Fortunately Tizoc stopped the Kansett with a stern look before anyone's neck was broken. The woman's feigned disappointment was cute, but its clear the poor thing was tragically ignorant about artistry south of the Norraphilla.

Emperor Tizoc, madam.

Of course its a replica dear girl. Just as the Holy Empire is a successor to the Whitefeather empire not a duplicate. Interestingly enough the feathers of this cape came from the corrupt nobles who slowly sucked the life from their own home.To this day their sacrifice fertilizes the fields of the Theocracy so I suppose their lives amounted to something in the end.

Tizoc flourished his cape once more, as if to remove any dirt she put on it.
    Beautiful Avatar thanks to Gengy

Hangs out on the World building forums

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Spoiler: The gift that keeps on giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving some more
    Show
    Spoiler: Metric tons of giving
    Show
    Spoiler: Keep going
    Show
    Spoiler: Suprise
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Izbefe

Many years had passed since Izbefe had stepped out upon the world stage. Though her usurper's reign had endured for two decades, Sigyn's responsibilities had shackled her to the homeland. Yet now, with the death cry of the greatest Dragon echoing in the west, she emerged from her desert home to plot the destruction of its lesser cousins. The delegation from Regner arrived on a rented ship, having traveled much of the way by land - the long dark spreading from Bhule had closed any passage to the northern seas. Yet, perhaps in defiance of the vessel's simplicity, Sigyn emerged in singular splendor. She was wrapped in a long robe of indigo, so fine and sheer that it's incredible length caught upon the sea breeze, spreading behind her like a grand banner. Beneath, she wore a gilded approximation of Izbefan lamellar, the leather plates engraved with silver in the pattern of a churning sea. A braided diadem of silver rested atop her brow, the sapphire at its center the symbol of her office, and beneath it spread the spidery latticework of Izbefan Initia tattoos. Though she stood at the threshold of her fortieth year, the Izbefan queen seemed unburdened by the pangs of age - not even her recent pregnancy had slowed her, and as she approached the assemblage all could see the feverish light behind her emerald eyes.

In the queen’s wake, four figures followed in silence. One, a Kunai man dressed in desert fashion, was easily identified as Sigyn’s consort. Meili had done much to adopt the fashions of his new home, from the groomed beard adorning his face to the wide-sashed robe atop his soldier’s attire. All that remained of Kunai was the tachi at his side, and the barely-controlled tension to every step. At his side walked a young girl in regal costume. Though she could not have been older than five, the silvers and silks adorning her small frame marked her as a figure of import, if not now then in the future. Her features were Izbefan, but marked with an angular quality more akin to the man beside her. Fitting, then, that he was her father. The final two were simple soldiers, their faces obscured by veiled helms. One held a long spear draped with Izbefe’s pennant, the heavy cloth competing futilely with the spectacle of its queen’s robe. The second held a strung bow, and though he held no arrow the full quiver at his side spoke to his capacity for sudden violence.

The knot of foreigners half a world from home moved without hesitation through the press and throng of global power. Not until they stood before their host the Basilis Ra did Sigyn halt her advance, spreading one arm wide in a courtly bow. Yet her burning eyes never left those of the Lazarite.

“Master of the easter isles, I greet you as one dragonslayer to another. I have passed through salt and storm to speak with you on death and war.”

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

11. - Top - End - #41

BardGuy

Spoiler: Lazar
    Show
    Ti Linnad
    Hearing of the Cinder Queen moving north Mar's fist clenched and he leaned forward but it was Arndok Kasiri who spoke first.

"We are pleased to hear of this new Xincoatl focused empire even if it is born of unfortunate circumstances. As to your proposal of joining we would be glad to consider it though we would need to hear it from the Exarch himself. We understand he holds a low opinion of us."

"As to the Cinder Queen, you'll have my spear and those of my men at your side in Lascienmo. I will be glad to defer to your plans but know I offer what I can to this battle against the scaled tyrants."

Kasiri didn't seem as surprised or as worried as Mar thought he should.

"I'll make sure and come back here afterwards too," he said glancing over at the Arndok behind him.

"You have made a fine vessel, I am certain it will weather this test as it has all others."

"Excuse us Premiere, we have many guests to greet. If you can get the Exarch, and should he show the Warden of Glen Gwitna, to agree to a meeting with us we shall meet to collectively discuss eastern membership in this new empire."

"I wouldn't dare to take more of your time than I need. Thank you for your support - we shall need every bit of help we can get. And I'll speak with the Exarch for you, if he doesn't find you first." Nocyca saluted and stepped off to the side, whispering something to his guards. He had hoped to dispel the rumors of extreme unorthodoxy in Lazar, but he had only seemed to prove them, with the Lazarites' evasion of his points and description of Mar as a "vessel." In Ti Linnad, it implied either an avatar such as Krace had become of Byon years ago, or a thinking sacrifice, neither a particularly good sign for the Isles. It seemed that Coatlean practices had become so distorted by distance and neighbors that they might not even be the same faith anymore - a thought that disturbed him greatly.

And the dragon still must be dealt with.

Show
    Ti Linnad:

Edwin was the second oldest of the late Sir Gerald Blanc's five children, but between him and Elena there was a rather large age gap, and she had always viewed him as a foolish little kid, even though he was an adult now, and the commander of the Clear Sky Pass military garrison, though he suspected that she gave him the position to get rid of him, as a war with Dvatla was unlikely. But for this council (and it was a small miracle in itself that she even allowed him to come) she actually gave him a task that seemed genuinely important, to negotiate a small technological agreement with the Linnadi.

It is essential for a military commander to know his way around heraldry, and so he identified Nocyca rather quickly by the emblems on his clothes and arms.

"Premier Nocyca, I take it? Allow me to introduce myself, I am Edwin Blanc of Sfaïr. The Leader sent me to discuss certain matters with you."

Nocyca saluted and smiled. "Greetings, Edwin. I have heard much good about your land, though I must admit I have never seen it myself. What might you want to discuss with me?" While Nocyca had indeed often heard of Sfaïr, he had little idea what a vassal state to the fiercely independent Lindeen might want with the Northern Council.

Spoiler: Yondar
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelWizard View Post
    Ti Linnad

Queen Tanya reluctantly approached Nocyca of Ti Linnad. She had hoped that the Rhune would have arrived by now but Margravine Norá seemed missing among the delegates. "Premier Nocyca Rossalli of Ti Linnad," She had immediately dropped into her chiding mother voice. "I believe there is much we need to discuss."

Taken by surprise, Nocyca quickly turned when he heard his name, raising his arm into a salute as he spun around. He had seen the Queen earlier, but as she had kept her distance, he hadn't expected her to approach him. Which was entirely fair, he thought.

"I think we both hold that belief. Would you like to raise the first point?" His voice was perfectly controlled, and his face betrayed little of his worry - habits born of long practice among his Company. But this outside appearance did little to help the fears within.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sfaïr

At the question of her relationship with Dvatla, she paused a second. A momentary cause for consideration that resulted in her her casting her eyes aside... But only a second later the worried look faded and she looked back to Elena, face perhaps a tad more pale than before if she was looking closely. Just being asked had caused some tension within her. Her mouth opened to speak, and then she glanced around to see if any were listening... Leaning in to whisper.

"So long as my line or Dvatla's govern Varjik, there are no claws nor dragonbreath that can force me against my kin - not truly. But until the south can shake off its draconic shackles, the world and her dragons will believe we are at war."

Much like Elena, the Jaine of Varjik put on a similar face of unshakable courage like her father had before her. Often she took heart in that her nation had been through far worse and survived; but she did not reach stability after so many disasters without some cunning of her own. Draconic deals that resulted in her current issues, as if trading one war for another.

Anivine took a step back from the whisper unless Elena would wish to say something in turn, taking a small breath and calming herself. Her brow furrowed in worry for a moment, showing how much the false war with Dvatla actually bothered her outside of the public eye.

"As for repayment, you need not worry. Our scholars could likely learn a thing or two from yours in the exchange of knowledge if they may be spared, but beyond that you are free of any debts. I ask only for your word that none will hear of what I told you."

[OOC: I don't know yet what I am giving, but you can expect several techs! They'll be in my IC event post by the end of the round.]

Serene Marasa Pride

Her skepticism was swiftly traded for surprise as the man introduced himself, her gaze flicking up to his guardsmen and then back to him. She couldn’t help but crack a bit of a smile at his sarcasm, her eyes sparkling with interest. Never could she recall the last time that her and the Pride had spoken not in terms of war; for it was good to be reminded that much like her own kingdom, that the top brass did not always represent the whole of the kingdom.

“The council of Raja is a most esteemed position, especially for a non-rakshasa.” She starts, eyes peeking up to the top of his hat yet again. “And to meet with me directly... I am reminded that we are no longer foes. You may speak knowing that with Dejan as my witness, I will not betray your trust.”

This too would likely earn her a groan from the ravagers.

Dvatla

She chuckles at his playful poke, the mrazite crown just as hard and smooth as he could expect of any crystal. As the mood settles into secrecy, she does too, but never loses the familial affection in looks.

“I suppose I could do to be a bit more careful, but I don’t see how embracing one of my sons away from war would be cause for alarm. But then again... I’m just glad to know you and the others are still safe.”

Anivine smiles.

“And speaking of invasions, I’ve heard of how spectacularly the defense of Avakonia went. Honestly, I’m beyond relieved. I was sure that the false feud with Karys would lure out the dragon, but she was just one step ahead... I won’t lie, she’s livid. Another imperial capital brought down by her too... But she was much more careful in her attack this time. I think she’s learned that her feud was with the nobility and not the peasants at the very least. A monster, aye, but one that can be reasoned with.”

She pauses, again checking that nobody else was listening.

“And as for me... I’m fine. A bit lonely, but it cannot be helped. My goal now is to get the dragon to settle down a bit; hopefully launch her at Khirus and the Cinder Queen in some other way. They fought just a few months ago, a full duel in the air. We could use that, and then we can all be together again.”

The Jaine squeezes her step-son’s hand, looking onto him with hope.

[OOC: All good! My apologies for misreading the first post. : ) ]

Yondar

“Of the Yondari League you say? Why, I’d be honoured.” Anivine bows her head and then looks the peculiar tails and ears of the stranger. Never had she seen any like these; they reminded her of the half-breeds she had captured in war against the Pride years ago. Half Rakshasa and half human. Sort of cute, but sometimes very scary. These ones were not to be underestimated. “What can Varjik do for you, pray tell?” Her voice stays calm and level as she speaks, wondering what these mostly-strangers from the north have taken interest in... She had heard that their economic reach was nothing short of impressive.

Lazar

Anivine’s brow furrowed. Perhaps the Lazarites were not so dedicated to killing dragons as they were to making a killing in gold. She was actually unaware that Kansett had any military purposes at all, which seemed to complicate things - Especially considering that she had no clue how to weaponize it. Getting their value for it before and after the exchange was too steep a price to be worth it for Varjik, especially considering the alternative sources.

“Hmm. I would not risk making a deal I could not fulfill, for I fear my realm could teeter on the edge of an economic crisis if the dragon is not dealt with using all our resources. Funding repairs, military, and tribute leaves me little to work with in the way of foreign goods; apologies.”

[OOC: No deal I'm afraid; cost is a bit steep for what I'm getting!]

Ti Linnad

Anivine glanced over to the side to see the northernman. She tilted her head curiously just before he introduced himself, after which she bowed her head respectfully in turn. There was a sympathy in her expression as she delivered the bad news.

“Aye. Heading north along the Uhraiya and the Badan. I know not her destination precisely, but my spies say her motives are revenge for her fallen kin. I would guard your borders jealously... But do not despair. The beast herself shows no signs of moving. Instead she sends her enforces, an army of dragon-warped men with an affinity for fire like the demon herself. A year prior I would have kindly lent my ships to a naval blockade, but with the storms...”
    Last edited by Zayuz; 2018-12-24 at 06:15 PM.
    "What is to give light must endure burning."

13. - Top - End - #43

Coatl

"Well enough. The terrain's a lot different that what we're used to, but everything being out to kill you is the same whatever the weather. Honestly, it's probably more forgiving than 'Ridi'r. If you made a mistake there, you're dead. Here you just lose a few weeks, and then have to get unlost. We're still working on it. Plenty of forms of damage control, even if we haven't worked out how to keep the pollen out of town completely yet. We'll find something. Probably." He hummed slightly, mulling over a thought. "I'd ask if you have any tricks from experience, but it's a stupid question, really. If you did, you'd have been using them already."

Marasa

"You know, it's nice to see a hunter here for once," Xa'kagx said idly, as he chanced upon the goblin. While he didn't know the creatures present in his attire specifically, a cursory glance told him the materials weren't anything of note. Still, he'd take what he could get for now, and his own half-cape of chitinous scales was more than equal to what was before him. "Those feathers look to be similar to those of the ru'xu'x, and I do miss the hunting of my old homeland. Please, you'll have to tell me all about what your lands have to offer. I'd love to partake sometime."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Lazar

The abrupt meeting did little to damper Warden Ollin's satisfaction at attending the conference, he knew his burgeoning state still held little influence in the machinations of the other rulers here and littler yet in the struggles with the dragons that had beset their world. It was with great pleasure that he received the green scaled lazarite and he greeted his brother in faith warmly.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, brother Hesiles. I must thank you for your hard work, it is because of devout such as yourself working tirelessly upon the Temple that it nears completion. It is indeed my hope to focus my people's attention upon the will of Xincoatl and I welcome all those who would walk the path of enlightenment beside me."

Yondar

Warden Ollin's stoic demeanor warmed slightly at the approach of the foreign queen.

"Please, it's Warden Ollin. It's a pleasure to meet the acquaintance of such a respectable ruler. You do happen to find myself and my people in good tidings. I hope the same is true for you and yours as well? While it is true that Gwitna has lain dormant in recent years, we still hold the secrets to much useful knowledge. I would be happy to trade what we know for a likewise consideration, if that pleases you, Your Grace."

Coatl

Ollin found his father briefly unoccupied after waiting for what seemed quite some time. The Warden was amused as some of his father's conversation partners left happy and others left not so.

"Making friends as ever, father? I suppose it's lucky that war merely requires cooperation and not affection." He smirked as he ribbed his father and Dolus hung back to allow for the father and son to meet in private.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

15. - Top - End - #45

BardGuy

Spoiler: Varjik
    Show
    Ti Linnad

Anivine glanced over to the side to see the northernman. She tilted her head curiously just before he introduced himself, after which she bowed her head respectfully in turn. There was a sympathy in her expression as she delivered the bad news.

“Aye. Heading north along the Uhraiya and the Badan. I know not her destination precisely, but my spies say her motives are revenge for her fallen kin. I would guard your borders jealously... But do not despair. The beast herself shows no signs of moving. Instead she sends her enforces, an army of dragon-warped men with an affinity for fire like the demon herself. A year prior I would have kindly lent my ships to a naval blockade, but with the storms...”

"That is better than I feared, but worse than I hoped," Nocyca replied, chuckling grimly. "I understand the risks of the Uhraiya all too well. But thank you for your kind words and kinder news. Kasiri, I think if she seeks revenge then you will likely be her true target. We ought to find the other northern leaders here and call for aid."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Izbefe
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    Izbefe

Many years had passed since Izbefe had stepped out upon the world stage. Though her usurper's reign had endured for two decades, Sigyn's responsibilities had shackled her to the homeland. Yet now, with the death cry of the greatest Dragon echoing in the west, she emerged from her desert home to plot the destruction of its lesser cousins. The delegation from Regner arrived on a rented ship, having traveled much of the way by land - the long dark spreading from Bhule had closed any passage to the northern seas. Yet, perhaps in defiance of the vessel's simplicity, Sigyn emerged in singular splendor. She was wrapped in a long robe of indigo, so fine and sheer that it's incredible length caught upon the sea breeze, spreading behind her like a grand banner. Beneath, she wore a gilded approximation of Izbefan lamellar, the leather plates engraved with silver in the pattern of a churning sea. A braided diadem of silver rested atop her brow, the sapphire at its center the symbol of her office, and beneath it spread the spidery latticework of Izbefan Initia tattoos. Though she stood at the threshold of her fortieth year, the Izbefan queen seemed unburdened by the pangs of age - not even her recent pregnancy had slowed her, and as she approached the assemblage all could see the feverish light behind her emerald eyes.

In the queen’s wake, four figures followed in silence. One, a Kunai man dressed in desert fashion, was easily identified as Sigyn’s consort. Meili had done much to adopt the fashions of his new home, from the groomed beard adorning his face to the wide-sashed robe atop his soldier’s attire. All that remained of Kunai was the tachi at his side, and the barely-controlled tension to every step. At his side walked a young girl in regal costume. Though she could not have been older than five, the silvers and silks adorning her small frame marked her as a figure of import, if not now then in the future. Her features were Izbefan, but marked with an angular quality more akin to the man beside her. Fitting, then, that he was her father. The final two were simple soldiers, their faces obscured by veiled helms. One held a long spear draped with Izbefe’s pennant, the heavy cloth competing futilely with the spectacle of its queen’s robe. The second held a strung bow, and though he held no arrow the full quiver at his side spoke to his capacity for sudden violence.

The knot of foreigners half a world from home moved without hesitation through the press and throng of global power. Not until they stood before their host the Basilis Ra did Sigyn halt her advance, spreading one arm wide in a courtly bow. Yet her burning eyes never left those of the Lazarite.

“Master of the easter isles, I greet you as one dragonslayer to another. I have passed through salt and storm to speak with you on death and war.”

The benefit of being seen as, at best, second billing in this particular outing was that Meili was left somewhat ignored. Sigyn commanded attention and presence, and that left her consort free to simply observe the delegates and learn what he could. A twitch of the hand here, a faltering smile there... no Kunai worth his Name would discount such an opportunity to learn of the enemies and allies.

Although, he supposed that few would recognize him as Kunai now, aside from the tachi on his side (and the kaiken and tanto concealed in his desert-style robes; old habits died hard, useful ones even harder). He had given his life and Name to Sigyn as her consort, and allowed her to choose his Name.

Oh, he had ways to contact his former home if need be, and would do so if prompted. He still did, on occasion, though these days it was barely needed; Izbefe and the Kunai Clans were both part of the Sultanate now.

But that was just it; Kuniumi was his former home. This was his home now. By the mother of his children, and his queen... and, of course, his daughter.

He squeezed Herja's hand as the group moved along, smiling at her. He had come to think of himself less and less as Meili and more as Father since Herja's birth. Another Name to adopt, as his life wore on.

Herja, Lofn, and now little Var... they were worth his life.

He looked to Sigyn, and the fire in her eyes. Gods above, he loved this woman. Her near-assassination had made him enraged and afraid, in a way that nothing else had. (Good riddance to Dafi)

Meili would protect them all, in the only way that he really could right now: he would observe.

Given the war in the south, he would especially keep an eye on the Marasa Pride's delegation.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2018-12-26 at 12:24 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #47

Yondar
    "Then we have a deal," the sitting lazarite intoned.

"There is just, one more thing. Not even in the writing of the contract we have prepared, it shouldn't need to be, but we do expect our existing economic claims to be recognized and respected in the deserts."

Spoiler: Treaty of Ice and Glass
    Show

The desert territory formally referred to within as "Usan" in northeastern Inyaka taken through right of conquest by Karas Mar of Lazar is turned over to the governance of the Yondari League in exchange for tactical and magical innovations held by the League at the date of signing, 188 IR.

OOC: You can write up the region too if you want. If not I do have ideas but haven't had time to put them down in writing.

Dvatla
    "There's certainly a proper order to things. For now the Father of Silence maintains a low profile against the backdrop of their siblings. The Cinder Queen captures our own attention now."

"Though the Father's is the largest of the dragon cults. As you no doubt well know," the Arndok was aware Llët̨sällë hosted plenty of the Father's disciples being one among three of his known roosts.

Serene Pride
    Kasiri held up a webbed winger wagging it back and forth in front of an unnerving grin, "Now now Bishop, greed is unbecoming of a priest. No technologies were promised merely for meeting here with us. We must come to an accord before our wealth is openly shared with cousins of faith."

"Come now bishop, let's set these mundane matters aside for a moment. Your Maharaja is hungry for an advantage, for power and dominance enough to feel secure at last. If it comes it will be fleeting without the gods. Look how the godless Sultanate quakes and crumbles now at its edges by your own liege's might. The cult of Dejan destroyed the Empire of Old Avakonia. Abhidi stripped the Whitefeathers of Azenhal and sacrificed the dwarven realm to the dragon. Without the gods chaos and death reigns freely."

Kasiri paused, his lizard eyes gauging the elder human's opinion of what had been said so far.

"Our gods share many of the same histories. We have seen evidence enough in texts to believe Trodje and Khompur are more akin to personalities of the god Xincoatl but our faiths share a link through Rieba who is known by her name in both our texts. This more than anything provides foundation for hopeful connection. In a land filled with far worse offenses in doctrine with the east having proven its legitimacy we come to the humble candle bearers for the Orthodoxy's flame asking to be recognized as cousins and friends in the realm of faith to be mutually offered respect and not to be interfered with. Let our pantheons grow together not apart."

Sfair
    “I don't know that the Theocracy worships the Cinder Queen but they have capitulated to her. It seems we are both confused to the facts however. Forgive my misunderstanding.”

With that the Sfaïri were moved along as others were brought forward to meet the rulers.

Lindeen
    "Thank you milady, we will begin preparations to make through Lindeen to Lascienmo as soon as this Council is concluded," Mar bowed his head respectfully.

"As to our previously discussed projections... As you say the arrival of the Cinder Queen in the north has thrown off our predictions. We agree it is time to end our vassalage to the Northern Council as they fall sway to the Theocracy who are themselves bound in tributary to Palmor's dragon. We do not wish to be a dragon's servant and slayer as Regno does."

"However, we remain unconvinced that the climate is right for proceeding with out and out realignment. We spoke with your other vassal earlier, Dame Elena of Sfair? It seems she knows nothing of the War Caster programs we are working on and was utterly ignorant of the Mandates even as we hear her brothers are to be genesis for a new generation of War Caster. Meanwhile despite suspicions abound we remain at the head of the eastern church. Glen Gwitna will surely seek to challenge us in time if not the Theocracy or even Ti Linnad but for now our position as head of the eastern faith serve the Isles and the Mandates well."

"Practitioners continue to spread among the clergy bearing the messages of magic throughout the east. As you know, Lazar was never a 'northern' or 'southern' power but the impetus of the 'eastern' identification among those occupying the Badan. While our alliance undermines this role it is not entirely subverted and offers many advantages to achieving our goals. We ask you leave us more time independent of any realm but our own heading, understanding we work as you do to shape the future of war and Emjata and when the time is right we will come to you."

"Archon, there is one more thing. When it is my time to ascend to the tier of the War Casters please be there? It is not for lack of trust in our Arndok to complete this task but for a desire that you see the next step of evolution in warriors of magic firsthand."

Kasiri seemed unfazed by his companion's bravado request neither impressed nor disavowing its authenticity regarding his actual skills.

Coatl
    "We see how well dragon parts in the ocean turns in the Uhraiya."

"The general is right, if the remains of these creatures are not cast out into space or destroyed wherever they rest they threaten. Perhaps they had better be shipped far east. There's supposed to be a continent out there, would do Emjata well to offload our problems to them before they do the same to us."

Izbefe
    The Izbefe were a battle hardened people, worthy of respect and appreciation for their noble fight against the scaled tyrants. From what the lazarites had heard Queen Sigyn had even caused a tiff between Regno and the Father of Silence, an impressive and possibly quite useful feature of the western kingdom.

"You are greeted warmly in our Isles western slayers. Rise Queen Sigyn, partake in our foods and drinks if your throat is parched from salt and storm and tell us of what you wish to speak for there is too much death and war on the continent for me to know on this alone."

Varjik
    "Such is the way of these things. Please do enjoy yourselves here and we wish you luck on other trades."

With that the Queen was escorted from the dais circulating back into the wider event at the Moot Point.

Glen Gwitna
    "A most pious and kind man, as the stories say. Oh thank you Warden, this one shall begin at once to organize pilgrimages to the new temple and immigration to the area surrounding. Xincoatl is wise in this as in all things to rekindle a lamp thought burned out just as that bonfire which had blazed most brightly began to sputter and fall into dull embers. Praise His name!"

The lazarite couldn't help but exclaim a prayer as they walked drawing a few eyes but fewer from the local guards accustomed to such sudden bursts of piety.

"Truly Warden, thank you. Your aid in tending Xincoatl's flame is not forgotten or unseen by those of us truly of the faith."
    Thanks Gengy for the avatar!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Lazar

Tanya took the Treaty and read it over, "As long as your claims are not abusive of the League's trust or working against the our interest, I see no reason to take action against your merchants; trade does benefit us all."

Finding everything in order, the Queen inked a quill and signed it adding, "While you have our blessing to do trade, we will not intervene if someone wishes to challenge your claim with a legitimate offer. That will have to be resolved between your merchants and theirs."

[OOC: Yondar wont muck about with Lazar's tp there unless they do something that warrants intervention. Lazar's TP doesn't have any special protection though, so Yondar wont intervene if someone buys them out.]

Gwitna

"It would please me greatly," Tanya said in reply to the Warden. "We are interested in learning about your nautical skills, specifically in how your people enhance the storage ability of your ships, and the ability to... militarize your merchcants. What, of the League, is of interest to you?"

[OOC: Request Polearm Paddles and Expanded Holds for ???]

Varjik

"Thank you," said Yven smiling warmly. "I have been informed that the Cinder Queen moves upon Lascienmo, a conflict I will likely be drawn into due to the League's ties to Ti Linnad. Given your kingdom's proximity to her lands, I was wondering if you had any insight to the dragon's movements." He paused for a moment and continued, "and if you knew anything of what is happening in Khirus. I've heard troubling reports from their lands."

Ti Linnad

Tanya's tail flicked irritably as she spoke. "It is my understanding that Ti Linnad now kneels to the Coatl! Their fleet was obliterated by the same storm that claimed your own. Neither the Theocracy and Ti Linnad were in any major position to continue fighting, and, even if Coatl sought to continue the war, Yondar and Rhune could lend their aid that Premier Mertinneis had turned down so many years prior."

She crossed her arms across her chest and added, "Yet now Rhune and Yondar now must kneel to a Theocracy through your actions. Tell me, what reason do we Animist not secede from this union?"
    Last edited by SquirrelWizard; 2018-12-27 at 12:52 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49

Spoiler: Gwitna
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PepperP. View Post
    Coatl

Ollin found his father briefly unoccupied after waiting for what seemed quite some time. The Warden was amused as some of his father's conversation partners left happy and others left not so.

"Making friends as ever, father? I suppose it's lucky that war merely requires cooperation and not affection." He smirked as he ribbed his father and Dolus hung back to allow for the father and son to meet in private.

Tizoc made sure nobody was look before grabbing his son, kissing him on the forehead and holding the young man close.

There's little affection, even among trusted partners these days. From the downfall of the Empire onward the only way to bring these stray dogs together was a common enemy. Be it Lindeen , the Cinder Queen, even the holy empire. But if we can build wonders that the our descendants can look upon in pride and barbarians can look on in despair then it'd all be worth it.

Spoiler: Ridir
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by kjelfalconer View Post
    Coatl

"Well enough. The terrain's a lot different that what we're used to, but everything being out to kill you is the same whatever the weather. Honestly, it's probably more forgiving than 'Ridi'r. If you made a mistake there, you're dead. Here you just lose a few weeks, and then have to get unlost. We're still working on it. Plenty of forms of damage control, even if we haven't worked out how to keep the pollen out of town completely yet. We'll find something. Probably." He hummed slightly, mulling over a thought. "I'd ask if you have any tricks from experience, but it's a stupid question, really. If you did, you'd have been using them already."

Fire, fire is the must consistent and reliable tool against the horrors of the jungle. Even primitives such as yourselves can comprehend how useful a tool it can be. All but the thickest areas of the jungle can be cleared for valuable herb farming. You might not eat them but foreigners near and far will risk life and limb to find them. If you don't want to farm them, i'm sure you can find slaves who can.
    Last edited by Lleban; 2018-12-27 at 01:00 AM.
    Beautiful Avatar thanks to Gengy

Hangs out on the World building forums

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Spoiler: The gift that keeps on giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving some more
    Show
    Spoiler: Metric tons of giving
    Show
    Spoiler: Keep going
    Show
    Spoiler: Suprise
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Marasa
    Quote Originally Posted by asmodeussnake View Post
    Harshad shakes his head, "you are incorrect our hatred is for the cinder queen, the spellfather is recognized as an avatar of Rieba and provides a gate in the Aspen Heights that is considered a positive for us and while we won't STOP the beasts destruction, we won't aid it because with its death it means renewed war with Varjik which is something we want to end or at least settle for a time."
    Tälir considered the rakshasa for a moment with a look of curiosity and disbelief. "I...am surprised to hear the Spellfather named as an avatar of a Perijanist goddess, nor do I see much of your Rieba in the dragon. But I am not a priest for a reason. More in my area: why would the dragon's death cause renewed war? I don't see why Varjik would want to start it up again. You claim you want to leave it in the past. Isn't the war over, then? What does the dragon's death change?"

Varjik
    The Jaine squeezes her step-son’s hand, looking onto him with hope.
    Tälir offers his step-mother another smile and changes the subject to an excited retelling of the battles in Avakonia, focused especially on himself and Zarikos...

Lazar
    "There's certainly a proper order to things. For now the Father of Silence maintains a low profile against the backdrop of their siblings. The Cinder Queen captures our own attention now."

"Though the Father's is the largest of the dragon cults. As you no doubt well know," the Arndok was aware Llët̨sällë hosted plenty of the Father's disciples being one among three of his known roosts.
    "True. Though before its defeat and flight, the Skyfather managed to inspired a distressingly large cult as well. It spread like an insidious plague for many years before collapsing with the fall of its false god. I am told now that our strange and reclusive northern neighbors have taken it upon themselves to reestablish Initia among those who sought hidden knowledge from the dragon. The rabble who turn to the dragons having been easily awed by them turn away just as easily when their weakness is exposed. Those who desired power in return for their devotion will move on when the well dries. We have proven these dragons to be transient, not gods. Their cults will not survive their fall."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Lazar

"One so committed to our faith such as yourself deserves a larger role within it. I would like to appoint you a position within our new temple, if you'd be so kind to accept I'd be most gratified." Ollin hadn't come to Lazar specifically to fill his Temple with foreign clergy but he figured it could only help relations and Hesiles seemed to share his own zeal for their faith.

Coatl

Ollin let his father embrace him and pat the older man on the back affectionately.

"The Temple will be completed by the time of my return to Glen Gwitna. We will consecrate it in Xincoatl's name and praise His glory for the world to hear. You must come and attend the celebration, and meet your new grandchild."

Yondar
    Warden Ollin listened politely to Queen Tanya's request and nodded in agreement. It was a reasonable request and she offered an exchange of knowledge.

"I will arrange for two of our researchers with the knowledge you seek to travel to Yondar as soon as I return home. I would ask that you send two of your own learned in trade and the esoteric arts, if you find that agreeable.

Spoiler: ooc to SquirrelWizard
    Show
    I will trade Polearm Paddles and Expanded Holds for Precision Weights and Magical Indicator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Spoiler: Lindeen
    Show
    The archon had just ended talks with Lazar when they were approached by their vassal. Atraxi stopped and provided a smile listening to the concern in Elenas voice. "We apologize for not reaching out to our beloved vassal sooner. I will be honest we believed Sfair wanted to remain as independent as possible under the vassalization, Sir Blanc your father did much to ensure your future prosperity, Lindeen and Sfair are mutually protecting one anothers borders from the foreign threat of larger nations. We are exchanging technology and we acknowledge the nation of Sfair seeking to help rebuild Avakon. Really our only demand has been that those who are magically inclined come to us and learn, and be brought up properly just as your father agreed. We even pay handsomely for the children, most are happy to part with their children for the gold we place in their hand. Obviously the mandate is spread as well to your nations temples so children don't have to be far if parents wish to remain close to their children."

She smiles, "we don't remove the faith, merely direct it toward the greater good. Lindeen has honored every promise if you have any concerns or want to exchange technologies again (we would very much like to arm you with the warcaster tech if you have any magical techs of your own) we would love to."

Elena clenched her teeth at the mention of the children with magical talent being bought by Lindeen. She did not like it, but the most she could do was to assign Sfaïri soldiers to the recruiters to make sure that nobody was threatened or blackmailed into selling their children to the magocracy of questionable morality. Still, many were following the ways of the Mandates now, and willingly offered their children, especially if they had too many mouths to feed.

Nevertheless, Elena was wary of upsetting Sfaïr's relationship with Lindeen now that there was the possible threat of the Theocracy and Theocracy-controlled Ti Linnad. She spoke with a polite smile.
    "Please do not worry, I have had no reason so far to be seriously concerned about the Mandates, though I do wish that you would tell me Lindeen's plans for the future, so that we can coordinate our actions. We can talk in private, if that's necessary.

As for the Warcaster techniques, we would indeed like to learn them. In return we can offer the Whitefeather art with which investigating magic gets much easier - surely a necessity for a nation based on the use of magic, like yours? We'll also give you the knowledge of the more mundane: the techniques by which you can have stronger weapons for your armies and Warcasters forged, and enchant your locks so that your secrets stay yours. If you do not deem this enough, we can promise to give you more technologies in the future.

Oh, and my half-siblings (Macra and Rasilion), how are they?"

[OOC: Trade all technologies I have (of which you don't have: Refined Pician Weaponry, Magical Indicator and Warded Locks) for all technologies you have (that I don't have)?]

Spoiler: Sycoraxistan
    Show
    Shaeir's expression was an implacable stoic mask.
    He spoke with a deep well practiced resonance, "You honor me with your attention, Dame Elena Blanc, Leader of the Sfaïri Free Alliance, Protector of Cesaria, and... finder of metal. I am Shaeir, Witness to Hope, Carrier of Voice for The Shatter Peaks Sanctuary, and Standing Carrier of Voice for the Revolutionary Guard of The Sycorax. My doom has been marked such that I speak for The First Among Equals in this place. My voice is her voice. Tell me your trouble and we shall work our runes.".

He was clearly making an effort to demonstrate his prior briefing on the subject of Sfaïri, possibly passive aggressively, but everything else he said was clearly a recitation of some kind of ritual formality. The last sentence seemed to be a ceremonious way of asking, "How can I help you?".

She was a bit puzzled as to which title to use when he had given so many, but she continued the conversation nevertheless. If she used the wrong one, he'd surely correct her before getting offended. "Witness Shaeir, Sfaïri merchants have requested to know whether it is safe for them to conduct their trades in Sycoraxistan, given its reputation. Perhaps not in the immediate future, but I'm sure that they would like to expand their trading network there eventually.

On an unrelated matter, how does Sycoraxistan feel about our common neighbor, Dvatla? Please speak freely, I will not share your opinion with them, if you will ask me not to. I also wanted to impart the following advice to you: The ungoverned region to the immediate east of your land will not stay so for long. While the Dvatlans will not wrong you without cause, they are, like the Dejanic empire they wish to emulate, very territory-hungry. At the moment, they are waging a war against the southern powers, but if you wish to bring that land under your rule, you should do so quickly."

Show
    "That is very kind of you. I'd be more than happy to discuss the league's magic, but I'm afraid my sister would be much more knowledgeable about its specifics; I'm only versed in its practical application. As far as my nation's military tactics are concerned... we have found it, beneficial to avoid unnecessary conflict when possible by plying our other strengths creatively. When Deja Rhunis penned her treatise on Headhunting, it was not as a method of war, but rather as a method of dissuading other from bringing war upon us. As of recently, events have dictated that loosen restrictions on its trade, I still remain cautious of handing it to would-be enemies of my kingdom."

Yven preemptively cut off any protests from Elena, "I am not saying that Sfaïri is an enemy of the Yondari League, but you are joined with Lindeen, a kingdom with which we have many growing concerns with. If I am to allow access I need assurances that such knowledge I grant you will not find its way into their hands of them." The prince paused, he understood the cruel truth that sometimes a person had to work with what they had, but from what he had heard of Sfaïri, and by the admission from Elena's own mouth, that much of what Lindeen was doing shouldn't have sat well with Elena's kingdom.

Yven motioned for Elena to follow him out of earshot of the many other delegates as he added, "would you care to join me for a walk? There is something I would wish to discuss with you."

Elena nods her head slowly when the prince brings up Lindeen. "I was going to speak to them about my concerns just after we finish our conversation. Anyway, if you wish it, I promise not to teach Lindeen the secrets of Headhunting without Yondar's permission."

When he suggested going to a more secluded place, Elena tensed up a bit. They were just talking about the art of assassination, was he going to...? It was a ridiculous thought, surely, but one can't help thinking them sometimes. She did follow him, but not before discreetly mouthing a command to her guards to stay far behind, but watch her and the prince.

Spoiler: Coatl
    Show
    Soon after daring to touch his imperial cloak one of his Kansett bodyguards raised claw in a motion to slap the Safirie woman. Fortunately Tizoc stopped the Kansett with a stern look before anyone's neck was broken. The woman's feigned disappointment was cute, but its clear the poor thing was tragically ignorant about artistry south of the Norraphilla.

Emperor Tizoc, madam.

Of course its a replica dear girl. Just as the Holy Empire is a successor to the Whitefeather empire not a duplicate. Interestingly enough the feathers of this cape came from the corrupt nobles who slowly sucked the life from their own home.To this day their sacrifice fertilizes the fields of the Theocracy so I suppose their lives amounted to something in the end.

Tizoc flourished his cape once more, as if to remove any dirt she put on it.

When the guard moved, Elena realized she did get a little caught up in insulting him; she had to remember that this man was a delusional and dangerous warlord. She needed to put some distance between him and herself, both physically and in the conversation.
    "I was merely making a point, no need to get offended, Dear Emperor Tizoc. Incidentally, you can address me as Queen Elena.

But let's not get caught up in the pleasantries. I had long assumed that you have capitulated to the dragon, since you have been giving it tribute, but some I met here have indicated otherwise, so which is it? Is your nation still a Theocracy or has it become a Draconocracy?"
    Elena thought that this should be interesting. He hadn't commented much on the topic so far, presumably to avoid conflict with both the dragon and the dragonslayer Coatl Perijanists. But now that Elena has asked him directly, if he continues to avoid answering the question, his unwillingness to commit could draw the ire of everyone involved.

Spoiler: Ti Linnad
    Show
    Nocyca saluted and smiled. "Greetings, Edwin. I have heard much good about your land, though I must admit I have never seen it myself. What might you want to discuss with me?" While Nocyca had indeed often heard of Sfaïr, he had little idea what a vassal state to the fiercely independent Lindeen might want with the Northern Council.

"Premier, I am to ask you whether you would want the knowledge on the subject of magic of your, uh, former liege. For an appropriate counteroffer, that is. We're having some issues managing our relatively recently unified nation, and I can imagine it will only get harder as Sfaïr gets bigger. Consequently, we'd appreciate it if you could teach us the secrets of governance of the Northern Council."

Edwin is feeling a bit unsure now, and it shows as he fidgets with his cloak constantly. "Premier, if I may ask, what is going to become of the Northern Council? Your predecessor was assassinated and..." He trails off, realizing that saying "Ti Linnad is occupied by the Theocracy" could offend the Premier, if he sympathizes with the, well, invaders?

"Well, the political situation in the Northern Council is, if I can be frank, unclear to me and to my sister the Leader, though she wouldn't admit it. If you would briefly clarify your plan for the future of the Northern Council, perhaps our nations could cooperate more closely in the future?"

Spoiler: Varjik
    Show
    At the question of her relationship with Dvatla, she paused a second. A momentary cause for consideration that resulted in her her casting her eyes aside... But only a second later the worried look faded and she looked back to Elena, face perhaps a tad more pale than before if she was looking closely. Just being asked had caused some tension within her. Her mouth opened to speak, and then she glanced around to see if any were listening... Leaning in to whisper.

"So long as my line or Dvatla's govern Varjik, there are no claws nor dragonbreath that can force me against my kin - not truly. But until the south can shake off its draconic shackles, the world and her dragons will believe we are at war."

Much like Elena, the Jaine of Varjik put on a similar face of unshakable courage like her father had before her. Often she took heart in that her nation had been through far worse and survived; but she did not reach stability after so many disasters without some cunning of her own. Draconic deals that resulted in her current issues, as if trading one war for another.

Anivine took a step back from the whisper unless Elena would wish to say something in turn, taking a small breath and calming herself. Her brow furrowed in worry for a moment, showing how much the false war with Dvatla actually bothered her outside of the public eye.

"As for repayment, you need not worry. Our scholars could likely learn a thing or two from yours in the exchange of knowledge if they may be spared, but beyond that you are free of any debts. I ask only for your word that none will hear of what I told you."

[OOC: I don't know yet what I am giving, but you can expect several techs! They'll be in my IC event post by the end of the round.]

Of course. Elena thought it made perfect sense that one wouldn't engage in a destructive war because a dragon said so, if it could be avoided. She didn't think as much of being related by blood as Anivine apparently did, but she would have done the same in Anivine's place. She nodded with a serious face and whispered: "I am glad to know that about your 'war' with Dvatla. Sfaïr may be very far from any living dragons now, but I remember what it was like to live fearing that the dragon will demand more or simply come and kill."

"Thank you. Please, you need not worry. I will not tell a living soul. I sincerely hope we will meet again soon, Queen Anivine." Elena curtsied to the Jaine, and left. (unless Anivine had more to say)

23. - Top - End - #53

Show
    She was a bit puzzled as to which title to use when he had given so many, but she continued the conversation nevertheless. If she used the wrong one, he'd surely correct her before getting offended. "Witness Shaeir, Sfaïri merchants have requested to know whether it is safe for them to conduct their trades in Sycoraxistan, given its reputation. Perhaps not in the immediate future, but I'm sure that they would like to expand their trading network there eventually.

On an unrelated matter, how does Sycoraxistan feel about our common neighbor, Dvatla? Please speak freely, I will not share your opinion with them, if you will ask me not to. I also wanted to impart the following advice to you: The ungoverned region to the immediate east of your land will not stay so for long. While the Dvatlans will not wrong you without cause, they are, like the Dejanic empire they wish to emulate, very territory-hungry. At the moment, they are waging a war against the southern powers, but if you wish to bring that land under your rule, you should do so quickly."

"We are not an expansionist people, Dame Elena. And for the time being, we have no judgment to render upon the Dvatla people. Many of us draw our lineage from those who strayed from that land, and became captive to The Storm. Still, on your word, I will urge the Revolutionary Guard to send a mission of bards and pathfinders to learn more of that unknown land, and see if those who dwell there would desire to unite their shelters with our own." said Witness Shaeir.

"The Revolutionary Guard shares your concern regarding the safety of foreign merchants. We are looking to employ our pathfinders to the task of clearing safer paths from the outlands to shelters were they may ply their barter. Though one significant challenge is that the value of 'coin' is a strange notion to our younger generations. The notion that a piece of gold, that can be used as neither tool nor meal, is a worthy thing to trade for is still a strange rune to carve for many of us. "
    Last edited by DoomHat; 2018-12-27 at 04:15 PM.
    ...with a vengeance!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Lazar

Rising out her bow, Sigyn's posture eased and a slight smile spread across her face. Were it not for her wild eyes, it would have been disarming.

“You have my thanks, noble Ardnok. But you must know I speak of the great deaths. The deaths of those three Catastrophes that yet afflict our lands. Khirus and Azenhal are lost, reduced to rabid dogs running before the whip of their dread master. Avakonia's legacy has become little more than kindling to cruel whim. And across my northern border, a cancer festers that I fear may never be truly excised. Yet we here have come together to plot their murder, and the liberation of all.”

Sigyn's attention passed over the assemblage, only to stop dead upon the Ridir delegation.

“Well. Most of us. I respect your adherence to guest-right, Arnok, but I would gladly rid you of that foul vermin.”

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

25. - Top - End - #55

Coatl

"Seems a little short sighted. Sure, you might get a few extra herbs or whatever, but what about what you lose? We never stopped finding new beasts back in 'Ridi'r, and if we just tried to get rid of the wild, we'd never have found any of them. The jungle's a beast with different fangs, but its still the same. You can tame it, and all you've done is rip it's heart out, leaving it cold and dead." There was a reason their word for a tame creature was an insult, after all, even if even the 'Ridx occassionally had to concede to practicality.

"Seems to me your insistence on breaking the jungle to your will is exactly why we live closer to it after just a few years than you ever have. Unless you'd claim differently."

26. - Top - End - #56

Yondar
    "Agreed."

"Agreed."

With business concluded the Yondari were cycled back out into the general crowd of the Moot Point.

Dvatla
    "The Father has sired children," Mar growled.

"If we wait too long this misfire of diplomatic and power hungry loins could multiply into loyal enforcers of the family legacy. We understand Regno is a friend to Dvatla and do not advocate violence now or in the future against the reigning Sultana or her children but their reproduction is no longer a matter of courtly curiosity but of vast importance to all who take up the cause for or against the dragons."

Kasiri paused to gauge the reaction of the Dvatlan princes to his statement.

Gwitna
    "Sir, oh Your Grace, Your Holiness sir thank you. Yes! Please this one is indebted to you and our Holy Father Xincoatl! Anything you wish, ask it of me and it shall be done. There are many ready to leave these Isles to serve in this new holy center in Gwitna. Let them come and they will join us in service at the Temple if you could help bring them back!"

Hesiles bowed his head respectfully in between beaming sharp toothed smiles up at the Warden as they walked.

OOC: Maybe a non-action either event or through Embassy (I'll add it too) of pilgrims heading to Glen Gwitna and becoming part of the tenders to the Temple?

Izbefe
    "That will be quite alright Your Grace. We shall have our foes met outside the Isles if at all possible."

The Arndok reflexively looked over the Moot Point, a replication of what had come before Frostfall. The Frostfather had devastated much of the Isles in his fury at their defiance.

"We may seek to end these tyrants but others are not so wise," Mar glanced at the 'Ridi'x, "Those little dragon servants have run all over Emjata trying to outrun their founders fates. When we liberate Palmor we'll be certain Izbefe receives our call in time to exterminate or domesticate the invasive species."

Formal Announcement & Draconic Discussion

With as many representatives as could be expected to arrived having done so they are gathered around the Moot Point normally reserved for gatherings of the Kiin Sareteh. The Arndok Kasiri and Basilis Ra Karas Mar step to the pulpit with Kasiri taking point.

"Citizens of Emjata we gather here today on the twentieth anniversary of our Isles first playing host to a Council on the dragons. Much has changed since then. The Rhunic Animists have discovered the Inau people far east across the deep tides of the Badan. The Whitefeather Empire is no more. Of course, perhaps most obvious is the death or disposal of three of the six reigning creatures of scale and magic."

The Arndok paused for any exaltation or jeering before proceeding.

"Despite the civil unrest that wracked our Isles we wish to assure Emjata Lazar remains devoted to resisting rule by dragon, first in the east and upon Inyaka, but so too across our continent. Emjata cannot be ruled by the ungodly. Nevertheless, we will tolerate dissenting views here and now for the sake of their exposure to the cold element of scrutiny. Having so said we open the pulpit to those wishing to speak. Of particular interest is the affliction in the west and of course the Cinder Queen's offensive though the Spellfather too worries us with her 'creations' under Aspen Heights."

With that the lithe lazarite stepped back and his squatter wider companion followed him as they walked into the crowd around the pulpit.
    Last edited by Reggiejam; 2018-12-27 at 09:43 PM.
    Thanks Gengy for the avatar!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Show

Elena nods her head slowly when the prince brings up Lindeen. "I was going to speak to them about my concerns just after we finish our conversation. Anyway, if you wish it, I promise not to teach Lindeen the secrets of Headhunting without Yondar's permission."

When he suggested going to a more secluded place, Elena tensed up a bit. They were just talking about the art of assassination, was he going to...? It was a ridiculous thought, surely, but one can't help thinking them sometimes. She did follow him, but not before discreetly mouthing a command to her guards to stay far behind, but watch her and the prince.

Yven waited for Elena to follow him before speaking quietly to her. "Lady Blanc, I do not know the circumstances that bound your kingdom to Lindeen, but based on your own described Sfaïr, it doesn't seem like your kingdom would see eye to eye with your liege."

He gave her a moment to reply before adding, "They praise the capacity for magic, and seek it in their populace. This wouldn't be unusual, except that within their kingdom those without the ability are often treated as slaves, lessers in their community." The prince's tail flicked agitatedly, " Lindeen overreaches in their lust for magic, twisting the teachings of many religions and perverting it to gain power that isn't theirs, producing things like their Warcasters. They're bloating themselves with this power and dont care what they break or cast aside to get it, and I say look to the people of the room we left. What has brought them together? I believe you are a smart woman, and you can understand when I say, 'not all dragons bear scales.' Lindeen is going to be trouble in the future."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"The Father has sired children," Mar growled.

"If we wait too long this misfire of diplomatic and power hungry loins could multiply into loyal enforcers of the family legacy. We understand Regno is a friend to Dvatla and do not advocate violence now or in the future against the reigning Sultana or her children but their reproduction is no longer a matter of courtly curiosity but of vast importance to all who take up the cause for or against the dragons."

Kasiri paused to gauge the reaction of the Dvatlan princes to his statement.
    "The Sultana has daughters. From what I have heard they are Oamenii, not dragons. They may be touched by dragon magic, but the beasts spread their foul corruption wherever they go and these children seem, if anything, less affected than many I have heard of. If they live when the dragon dies, they may seek to preserve its following, but we should not forget that the Sultanate was a key participant in the death of the Brinefather. I do not think we will find ourselves without friends in Regno when the dragon dies. I believe also that we are in agreement that the Cinder Queen and Spellfather are the more immediate threats. If I am wrong, and a dragon cult survives in the desert, then it will have to be dealt with, but I do not see what can be done about that now."

29. - Top - End - #59

BardGuy

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelWizard View Post
    Ti Linnad

Tanya's tail flicked irritably as she spoke. "It is my understanding that Ti Linnad now kneels to the Coatl! Their fleet was obliterated by the same storm that claimed your own. Neither the Theocracy and Ti Linnad were in any major position to continue fighting, and, even if Coatl sought to continue the war, Yondar and Rhune could lend their aid that Premier Mertinneis had turned down so many years prior."

She crossed her arms across her chest and added, "Yet now Rhune and Yondar now must kneel to a Theocracy through your actions. Tell me, what reason do we Animist not secede from this union?"

"True, neither of us could continue fighting, but their soldiers were in the Highlands, and ours were drowned beneath the waves. Would you have me destroy my own people in opposition, and cement the Theocracy as enemies of the north, when the Cinder Queen marches on our lands?"

Nocyca sighed deeply. He seemed to be on the verge of an outburst, but when he spoke again it was with surprising control.

"You have all the same reasons that you had before. Believe me, I did not join the Northern Council to the southerners without exacting guarantees for you."

Show
    "Premier, I am to ask you whether you would want the knowledge on the subject of magic of your, uh, former liege. For an appropriate counteroffer, that is. We're having some issues managing our relatively recently unified nation, and I can imagine it will only get harder as Sfaïr gets bigger. Consequently, we'd appreciate it if you could teach us the secrets of governance of the Northern Council."

Edwin is feeling a bit unsure now, and it shows as he fidgets with his cloak constantly. "Premier, if I may ask, what is going to become of the Northern Council? Your predecessor was assassinated and..." He trails off, realizing that saying "Ti Linnad is occupied by the Theocracy" could offend the Premier, if he sympathizes with the, well, invaders?

"Well, the political situation in the Northern Council is, if I can be frank, unclear to me and to my sister the Leader, though she wouldn't admit it. If you would briefly clarify your plan for the future of the Northern Council, perhaps our nations could cooperate more closely in the future?"

"That certainly sounds like a reasonable trade. I will have the Council manage the details when I return to the Highlands," Nocyca replies.

As Edwin begins to fidget, Nocyca leans away from him slightly, trying to give him some space. He nods silently at the word "unclear."

"'Unclear' is certainly the word for it. Premier Illeard's assassination has thrown us completely into chaos, but I do have a faint outline of a plan. The Council will be joined to the Theocracy, though I have no fears that the Exarch will cast his eye over you. There are many problems in Palmor. For the near future I must defend against the dragon's attack, but I would certainly like to cooperate more closely with Sfaïr."

Spoiler: General Discussion
    Show
    Formal Announcement & Draconic Discussion

With as many representatives as could be expected to arrived having done so they are gathered around the Moot Point normally reserved for gatherings of the Kiin Sareteh. The Arndok Kasiri and Basilis Ra Karas Mar step to the pulpit with Kasiri taking point.

"Citizens of Emjata we gather here today on the twentieth anniversary of our Isles first playing host to a Council on the dragons. Much has changed since then. The Rhunic Animists have discovered the Inau people far east across the deep tides of the Badan. The Whitefeather Empire is no more. Of course, perhaps most obvious is the death or disposal of three of the six reigning creatures of scale and magic."

The Arndok paused for any exaltation or jeering before proceeding.

"Despite the civil unrest that wracked our Isles we wish to assure Emjata Lazar remains devoted to resisting rule by dragon, first in the east and upon Inyaka, but so too across our continent. Emjata cannot be ruled by the ungodly. Nevertheless, we will tolerate dissenting views here and now for the sake of their exposure to the cold element of scrutiny. Having so said we open the pulpit to those wishing to speak. Of particular interest is the affliction in the west and of course the Cinder Queen's offensive though the Spellfather too worries us with her 'creations' under Aspen Heights."

With that the lithe lazarite stepped back and his squatter wider companion followed him as they walked into the crowd around the pulpit.

Nocyca had been standing in the immediate front of the gathering, and used his position to take the pulpit almost before the Lazarites had left it.

"Kasiri has mentioned the most important issue, but I would like to state it again. The so-called Cinder Queen is attacking Lascienmo, hoping to reach Lindeen and Lazar and destroy them in revenge for the dragon of ice. We must place this defense above any other action for now. I call on all of us assembled here to protect our brothers in arms against this vengeance, so that when we turn to destroy the southern dragons we may do so in security. If the dragon is victorious here, who knows which of us will be its next target?"

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

The Moot

Having adjourned to the perimeter of the moot, the delegation from Izbefe found itself between Magi Vecto's cadre and the representatives from Dvatla. One might have suspected the small vassal kingdom to defer to their liege or their esteemed neighbor in the discussion, but before either could step forward Sigyn took to the stone.

“The honorable Premier speaks true. Any retreat in the face of this menace will only invite further domination. For decades, the Queen of Ash has sown her poison in the fields of the south, and it has borne bitter fruit. But even as her misbegotten hordes assail the north, we cannot mistake them for the true danger. None of us can deny the awesome power of these creatures, and with time the dragons will replace any losses we inflict upon their followers. The only end to this incursion will come when their ambitions die on the edge of a sword.”

Sigyn paused, taking a moment to direct attention towards those in the assembly who had successfully liberated themselves.

“Many here have done so already, and now weather the last impotent echoes of draconic rage. But the Queen in the South will be another matter entirely - she has driven the continent mad, and made of its leaders pets who lust only for blood. I fear that to remove the Cinder Queen, we will be forced to burn out the heart of Khirus with cleansing fire. And Izbefe has little strength to aid in such an endeavor.”

She spread her hands in apology, but soon raised them towards the leaders of Varjik and Dvatla.

“But while we conjure to draw one southern dragon from her mountain of power, another lies with little but pride and cruelty as its bulwark. The Despoiler of Varjik sleeps in plain view, secure in its mistaken victory. If we are to gather a force for grand crusade, let the first blow fall there. Only when we are rid of all other divine pretenders, I fear, will we gain the unified strength to uproot the Cinder Queen. But in the meantime, there may be a way to blunt her vanguard. Izbefe has in her possession a powerful weapon of the enemy, the Heart of the greatest of the dragons, brimming with the same wild magic that has wrought such chaos in Regner. Were I to take hold of it, I may for a moment command sufficient strength to send the fullness of the storms wracking the Uhraiya to smash the dragon's armies to ruin.”
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2018-12-28 at 04:43 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.