Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: [EMPIRE4!] The Second Dragon Council

Spoiler: Sycoraxistan
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by DoomHat View Post

"We are not an expansionist people, Dame Elena. And for the time being, we have no judgment to render upon the Dvatla people. Many of us draw our lineage from those who strayed from that land, and became captive to The Storm. Still, on your word, I will urge the Revolutionary Guard to send a mission of bards and pathfinders to learn more of that unknown land, and see if those who dwell there would desire to unite their shelters with our own." said Witness Shaeir.

"The Revolutionary Guard shares your concern regarding the safety of foreign merchants. We are looking to employ our pathfinders to the task of clearing safer paths from the outlands to shelters were they may ply their barter. Though one significant challenge is that the value of 'coin' is a strange notion to our younger generations. The notion that a piece of gold, that can be used as neither tool nor meal, is a worthy thing to trade for is still a strange rune to carve for many of us. "

"As you wish. Though if you ever find that holding the territory is too bothersome for you, we would even pay you to take it off your hands."

Elena rubbed her chin with her fingers. She was left a little confused by the man's circumlocutory answer, which made it unclear whether he was answering in the affirmative or the negative, or if he was demanding something by saying that some of them don't value coins? But she wasn't one to easily admit not understanding things or people.

"Very well then, I'll have them informed of the natural dangers and the pitfalls of trading in Sycoraxistan.

The last thing I wished to discuss with you is religious cooperation. The Sultanate of Regno and the Free Alliance have a close relationship, and they have this ...unwritten agreement between them not to send priests to proselytize among the believers of their respective national faiths, unless explicitly permitted. I hope we can have such an understanding between us, too, especially in these difficult times when Jalyeong-Bo and other strange faiths are encroaching upon both Abhidi and Initia. That is not to say that your, er, rune teachers, would not be allowed into our lands at all, I am just asking that they respect the local, historical faith. But just between the two of us, it won't really bother me if you manage to convert the believers of any of the other faiths in our realm."

She stopped speaking rather abruptly. Perhaps she said too much, she barely knew this man, after all. If the citizens of Sfaïr and especially Cesaria heard this, she could be removed from her leading position in a matter of days. This was one of the disadvantages of living in a nation that believed more in the citizens' right to control their ruler than most others.

Spoiler: Yondar
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelWizard View Post

Yven waited for Elena to follow him before speaking quietly to her. "Lady Blanc, I do not know the circumstances that bound your kingdom to Lindeen, but based on your own described Sfaïr, it doesn't seem like your kingdom would see eye to eye with your liege."

He gave her a moment to reply before adding, "They praise the capacity for magic, and seek it in their populace. This wouldn't be unusual, except that within their kingdom those without the ability are often treated as slaves, lessers in their community." The prince's tail flicked agitatedly, " Lindeen overreaches in their lust for magic, twisting the teachings of many religions and perverting it to gain power that isn't theirs, producing things like their Warcasters. They're bloating themselves with this power and dont care what they break or cast aside to get it, and I say look to the people of the room we left. What has brought them together? I believe you are a smart woman, and you can understand when I say, 'not all dragons bear scales.' Lindeen is going to be trouble in the future."

Elena's brow furrowed in thought, and she chose her words carefully. "I do not disagree with you on the concerns you have. However, the dust has not yet settled after the Coatl conquest of Ti Linnad, and I would rather make sure that the Theocracy is not going to declare war on Sfaïr, though I've been assured that they wouldn't, before making any sudden political moves."

She leans closer to Yven and continues in a whisper: "Furthermore, what do you think would happen if I were to cut our ties with them right now? Even if Yondar were to help us, we would have a good chance of losing should Lindeen decide to hold on to Sfaïr by military means, in no small part due to their... weaponization of my half-siblings." A shadow ran across her face as she slowly pronounced the last words. Her hands were trembling a little, but she quickly hid them in her cloak.

"Let's just say that for now I am going to try to get Lindeen to use their potent magics for better purposes. Should I fail to do so, there is a possibility that I will let them know of my displeasure with their behavior in other ways."

Spoiler: Ti Linnad
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Minescratcher View Post
    "That certainly sounds like a reasonable trade. I will have the Council manage the details when I return to the Highlands," Nocyca replies.

As Edwin begins to fidget, Nocyca leans away from him slightly, trying to give him some space. He nods silently at the word "unclear."

"'Unclear' is certainly the word for it. Premier Illeard's assassination has thrown us completely into chaos, but I do have a faint outline of a plan. The Council will be joined to the Theocracy, though I have no fears that the Exarch will cast his eye over you. There are many problems in Palmor. For the near future I must defend against the dragon's attack, but I would certainly like to cooperate more closely with Sfaïr."

"Thank you for accepting the trade agreement, Sir.

Speaking of the future, Premier Nocyca, I have a word of advice for you. Perhaps it might be politically unwise of me to say it, but many other leaders have made wrong assumptions regarding this topic.

You should not think of Sfaïr as being inseparably connected with Lindeen. We're rather independent from them, and our policies in many areas are different. If there is or if there will ever be enmity between Ti Linnad and Lindeen, the same does not necessarily hold for Ti Linnad and Sfaïr."
    Edwin looks around, as if he were expecting his sister to suddenly appear and scold him for giving the foreigners information that they don't need to know, but Elena seems to be out of sight.

He bows. "I will be taking my leave now, Sir, unless you wish to bring up a new topic."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler: Ridir
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by kjelfalconer View Post
    Coatl

"Seems a little short sighted. Sure, you might get a few extra herbs or whatever, but what about what you lose? We never stopped finding new beasts back in 'Ridi'r, and if we just tried to get rid of the wild, we'd never have found any of them. The jungle's a beast with different fangs, but its still the same. You can tame it, and all you've done is rip it's heart out, leaving it cold and dead." There was a reason their word for a tame creature was an insult, after all, even if even the 'Ridx occassionally had to concede to practicality.

"Seems to me your insistence on breaking the jungle to your will is exactly why we live closer to it after just a few years than you ever have. Unless you'd claim differently."

We don't seek to live close to the jungle, the jungle is where many a man and lizardfolk have lost their minds to plants for unknown reason. We sought only to extract value from it and so we do. For what its worth, it seems the safest arrangement. Who know's maybe the Quill have writings about what you wish to find, I'm sure some is in Bastion who can translate the elf tongue.

Spoiler: Safir
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Corona View Post

When the guard moved, Elena realized she did get a little caught up, in insulting him; she had to remember that this man was a delusional and dangerous warlord. She needed to put some distance between him and herself, both physically and in the conversation.
    "I was merely making a point, no need to get offended, Dear Emperor Tizoc. Incidentally, you can address me as Queen Elena.

But let's not get caught up in the pleasantries. I had long assumed that you have capitulated to the dragon, since you have been giving it tribute, but some I met here have indicated otherwise, so which is it? Is your nation still a Theocracy or has it become a Draconocracy?"
    Elena thought that this should be interesting. He hadn't commented much on the topic so far, presumably to avoid conflict with both the dragon and the dragonslayer Coatl Perijanists. But now that Elena has asked him directly, if he continues to avoid answering the question, his unwillingness to commit could draw the ire of everyone involved.

Tizoc had to resist laughing, he wouldn't let some barbarian princess probe him this way. Though if the Cinder Queen had spies she would be well aware the dragon forged were attacking his own territory.

What makes you think we've capitulated, haven't you heard the dragon forged army at the gates of my empire. I take no hard ideological stances against dragons Elena, but I don't worship at their feet either. If I'm attacked I'll respond, if not I'm free to let the Cinder Queen do what she wants.

What about your masters though, are you ok with letting war casters of Lindeen decide the course of Safir's future.

Spoiler: Gwitna
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PepperP. View Post
    Lazar

Coatl

Ollin let his father embrace him and pat the older man on the back affectionately.

"The Temple will be completed by the time of my return to Glen Gwitna. We will consecrate it in Xincoatl's name and praise His glory for the world to hear. You must come and attend the celebration, and meet your new grandchild."

Tizoc acted as though he was about to faint.

Grandfather...oooh you make me feel so old, next thing ya know your gonna start complaining about hair loss and the undisciplined nature of the young.

Some advice for a new father, just because you have all these fancy tittles doesn't mean you can't hold your child, don't be me. You're a good king Ollin, but I think your mother and tutors had more to do with that than I did
    Beautiful Avatar thanks to Gengy

Hangs out on the World building forums

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Spoiler: The gift that keeps on giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving some more
    Show
    Spoiler: Metric tons of giving
    Show
    Spoiler: Keep going
    Show
    Spoiler: Suprise
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Spoiler: Ti Linnad
    Show

"True, neither of us could continue fighting, but their soldiers were in the Highlands, and ours were drowned beneath the waves. Would you have me destroy my own people in opposition, and cement the Theocracy as enemies of the north, when the Cinder Queen marches on our lands?"

Nocyca sighed deeply. He seemed to be on the verge of an outburst, but when he spoke again it was with surprising control.

"You have all the same reasons that you had before. Believe me, I did not join the Northern Council to the southerners without exacting guarantees for you."

Tanya eyed Nocyca cooly, "I would have you develop a backbone and stand up for your people. Resistance does not require war; with both sides so harshly hit by the storm you could have dragged Coatl to the table and brokered for peace between your nations and, if they cannot accept peace, you had allies you could turn to enforced peace upon them. Then, if the Cinder Queen attacked, you could choose to temporarily ally for the sake of defending the area from dragon incursion."

"The agreement between our nations was not brokered by you. It was Premier Norraissa efforts and under the banner of the Whitefeather Empire, which could hardly be considered a Theocracy like Coatl. Theocracies are govern by the mandates of their faith. You may say that you have secured guarantees for us, but what good will those be when the Coatl priesthood decrees that all heretics must be purged?"

Spoiler: Sfaïr
    Show

Elena's brow furrowed in thought, and she chose her words carefully. "I do not disagree with you on the concerns you have. However, the dust has not yet settled after the Coatl conquest of Ti Linnad, and I would rather make sure that the Theocracy is not going to declare war on Sfaïr, though I've been assured that they wouldn't, before making any sudden political moves."

She leans closer to Yven and continues in a whisper: "Furthermore, what do you think would happen if I were to cut our ties with them right now? Even if Yondar were to help us, we would have a good chance of losing should Lindeen decide to hold on to Sfaïr by military means, in no small part due to their... weaponization of my half-siblings." A shadow ran across her face as she slowly pronounced the last words. Her hands were trembling a little, but she quickly hid them in her cloak.

"Let's just say that for now I am going to try to get Lindeen to use their potent magics for better purposes. Should I fail to do so, there is a possibility that I will let them know of my displeasure with their behavior in other ways."

Yven nodded in understanding of Elena's words. "I'm sorry to hear that. It is a similar situaton that Yondar faces with its ties to Ti Linnad. Though I bear no direct ill will to them, they have put the northern council into a precarious position by submitting to the Theocracy. If Coatl sets his eyes on the north though it better damn well be with good reason, they may be our liege at the moment, but that does not mean I will let them run roughshod wherever they please."

He sighed and added, "Look, while trying to rehabilitate Lindeen could be considered a noble act, I have my doubts about how effective that will be. I urge caution though, the elite of Lindeen are likely to take a dim view to your meddling, and if war marches to Lindeen's doorstep, your people will likely be called to action. But I do believe we should establish some method of communication between our kingdoms, I could have a messenger dispatched to Sfaïr for your use, if you are interested."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler: Sfaïr
    Show
    "As you wish. Though if you ever find that holding the territory is too bothersome for you, we would even pay you to take it off your hands."

Elena rubbed her chin with her fingers. She was left a little confused by the man's circumlocutory answer, which made it unclear whether he was answering in the affirmative or the negative, or if he was demanding something by saying that some of them don't value coins? But she wasn't one to easily admit not understanding things or people.

"Very well then, I'll have them informed of the natural dangers and the pitfalls of trading in Sycoraxistan.

The last thing I wished to discuss with you is religious cooperation. The Sultanate of Regno and the Free Alliance have a close relationship, and they have this ...unwritten agreement between them not to send priests to proselytize among the believers of their respective national faiths, unless explicitly permitted. I hope we can have such an understanding between us, too, especially in these difficult times when Jalyeong-Bo and other strange faiths are encroaching upon both Abhidi and Initia. That is not to say that your, er, rune teachers, would not be allowed into our lands at all, I am just asking that they respect the local, historical faith. But just between the two of us, it won't really bother me if you manage to convert the believers of any of the other faiths in our realm."

She stopped speaking rather abruptly. Perhaps she said too much, she barely knew this man, after all. If the citizens of Sfaïr and especially Cesaria heard this, she could be removed from her leading position in a matter of days. This was one of the disadvantages of living in a nation that believed more in the citizens' right to control their ruler than most others.

Shaeir grunted contemplatively.
    "Your words are strange to me. If you are requesting exorcism, than we are morally obliged to come to your aid. It is difficult for us to countenance the appeasement practices you call 'Jalyeong-Bo', but if there are still darker rites being conducted in your lands, then I suppose our storm surveyors could be convinced to ignore a lesser evil if it means expunging a great one."
    Last edited by DoomHat; 2018-12-28 at 09:34 PM.
    ...with a vengeance!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Halfling in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Lazar

She nods, "We understand, we just fear the Theocracy, we sense their hatred. Knowing you were on our side we feel it would dissuade them. They fear what they do not understand they view us with their ignorance and we feel it burning. Ti Linnad and the Animasts of the north also seem wary, reaching out to them has proven difficult. We do intend to continue to try but their faith is savage and even the mandates have a hard time grasping their alien nature." The archon explained, nice to finally have their partners hand in hand. The pursuit of a true course glowing in the eyes of the archon.

When they mention their wayward vassal in Sfair however the tone soured. "We were busy in the east, the war on the dragon. Our first lady Doge Narada seduced Sir Blanc their leader but had time for little else, she did not lead them toward true salvation. I am trying to rectify that now, schools are being built, mindsets are being taught. We are trying to bring in sorcerors who can teach them the way... I imagine it will be laborious, we fear some level of rebellion but with their own children willing to fight against them we feel we can ease them into the right direction, after all we are fighting for a brighter future for all mortals. Humanity can afford every sacrifice for what we will grant them."

Sfair

"Yes of course... I know so much has changed for you, and I know Sir Blanc and Doge Narada approached things with a slightly unorthodox view." The archon sighed, looked around and placed an arm around her like they were family because to the Archon they were, even if only adopted as such. They moved into a darker more secluded portion of the area where they would not draw immediate attention and then with a few hand gestures the archon seemed to cast a spell. When it was done a few words seemed to burn bright in the air before fading and she sighed with relief.

"It does not appear there are any unseen ears." She coughs and begins. "The mandates are simple, we believe all the gods and spirits are real... They truly exist but we do not view them as beloved but instead meat grinders, and the cause of most human suffering. They take from us here and make us serve in the afterlife. They then grant us just enough power to prove their providence but not fix the broken world they built. So our mission is to take from the gods, to siphon what they had no intention to give and make them servents of mortality. If we honor them with worship, they will honor us in sacrifice of their magical abilities."

She smiles and squints, "though maybe you were not looking for a philosophy lesson." She laughs a little and continues. "If you mean our plans for the material planes. Its to get the mandates into Sfair and Dvalta and get your people working technology toward the sacrifices of few people as possible... War is inevitable but warcasters remove the sacrifices of tens of thousands and replace it as 1, in what we hope will be duels instead of slaughter houses. Also we hope to siphon energy into these war casters and use them to take down powerful spirits, enslave them and then with these spirits and war casters eventually make war on the gods of Perijianism and finally the one above all..."

She smirks, "I mean if we can survive the inevitable war with the dragons, the theocracy, Ti Linnad and maybe Dvalta... Of course then there is the monsters in the south. Ha there is many tribulations but dreams don't get born overnight."

When she mentioned technologies the archon nods happily. "We will gladly provide you with the war caster technology. We want you to help provide improved magics and technologies to it. We hope you can further develop this better future for the mortal races."

Macra and Rasilion brought a pained face but she turned it into a smile. "Their mother gave them to the war caster program, they have become beautiful angels, beacons of light protecting Lindeen from all foreign forces, eldtrich, gods and mundane alike. They willingly accepted the magic into themselves and it appears it will be a rousing success... Hard to watch for family I admit."

(OOC: Sounds good)
    Last edited by nadiri; 2018-12-28 at 10:17 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Coatl:

Some might have thought it pointless to address the continued insults, but Elena was not as indifferent and level-headed as she usually presented herself. "For the last time, I have not granted you the privilege of addressing me by my first name alone!

Lindeen does not, and will never decide our future. Sfaïr alone decides that; they merely provide us protection so that we are free to expand quickly.

While your company has been most entertaining, Emperor Tizoc, I must attend to the delegates from all of the other nations who are lining up to offer us trade agreements."

Yondar:

"Yes, please do, that would be convenient. I would welcome it if our nations grew closer."

Sycoraxistan:

The Leader raised her brows, and after a while she was stifling a laugh at the man's interpretation of her request.
    "Ahahaha! No, no, no... I fully agree with you on Jalyeong-Bo being 'appeasement practices', I was asking you to restrict your converting in Sfaïri lands to Jalyeong-Bo and other misguided beliefs, and respect Abhidism, the state religion.

I can see how you could get confused about that, with the numbers of those spirit believers in our nation increasing in the last few years."

[I.e. Abhidi good, JB, (Coatl or Orthodox) Perijanism bad, if you are going to convert in Sfaïr, please target these]

Lindeen:

Elena was mollified by the seemingly rational perspective of the Archon and her assurance that Macra and Rasilion became warcasters willingly.

"Thank you for clarifying all of that, and agreeing to teach us the art of warcasting. I do not know whether your view of the gods is correct, but I should advise you, speaking as a concerned friend, not to make mistakes you will regret if you ever change your mind. In my opinion, the magic arts can also be utilized in ways that are less prone to ostracizing Lindeen on the world stage.

Unless you wish to raise another topic with me, please do excuse me now, I need to meet with others."