New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Adding Cambian as PC in 5e

Quote Originally Posted by Great Dragon View Post
    Moved from main 5e Forum
    I actually like having 9 different Tieflings in my game. (I'm on the fence about "Feral" from SCaG)

So, let's say that I (as a DM) want to include Cambian (currently only a Half-Fiend Monster) as a PC race.

How many types? What would I include, and what would I change to make them stand out - assuming that I'm using Tieflings as a 'comparison' for power?

When I have both the books and the time, I can check each Demon for ideas. (Not counting Quasits or Lemere)
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-03-30 at 01:57 PM.
    My Knowledge, Understanding, and Opinion on things can be changed
    No offense is intended by anything I post.
    *Limited Playtest Group - I'm mostly Stuck in the White Room.
    *I am learning valuable things, here. So thanks, everyone!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Adding Cambian as PC in 5e

I feel that Cambian PCs shouldn't be able to take Good Alignments, unless they're playing a class centered around self-discipline, (Monk, Cleric, etc.) because unlike Tieflings, their demonic ancestor's Evil hasn't been mitigated by dozens of generations.

3. - Top - End - #3

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Tube Wizard View Post
    I feel that Cambian PCs shouldn't be able to take Good Alignments,
    Don't do this. Alignment matters less than ever in 5e.

Looks to me like the cambion in the MM has the following abilities:
    1. Stat increases
    2. Darkvision 60ft
    3. Flight
    4. A Charm Person buff
    5. Fire magic
    6. Shape-altering magic

The stat increases are hard to divine from just the MM, but I feel that Str/Cha or Dex/Cha make sense. No need for subraces. Darkvision is almost required of all non-humans that people want to play. Flight....well, I'd do it, but most people consider it too powerful to balance. You could lock a 50ft flight speed behind a Racial Feat, however. A buffed (24hr) Charm Person is fine so long as it's once per long rest. Cambion Spellcasting could be Control Flames (cantrip), Burning Hands (at lvl 3) once in between long rests, and Alter Self (lvl 5) once in between long rests.

It'd be a strong race, in any case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #4

BlackDragon

@Tube Wizard
    For the most part, I was aiming for the equal of Tieflings - not a half-demon like in the MM - but more of a decendent to one.

They are still called Cambian to tell the difference between them and Tieflings, as well as to cause Chaos and confusion. Cambions and Tieflings recognize each other on sight.

@Ninjadeadbeard
    I know that Alignment matters less in 5e (especially for PCs) but they still insist on having Alignment-focused Outer Planes.
    Seems to be rather on-the-fence to me.
    ----
    Maybe the Fire Bolt Cantrip instead of Thaumatugy? Although Control Flames is also good.

+2 Str and +1 Cha.
    Darkvision 60 feet.

I was thinking about Resistance to something, but don't want Fire, because that's too obvious, and mimics Tieflings too much.

50 foot Flight being behind a feat seems good.
    With +1 to Wis?
    ----
    I would make the decendents of Succubus or Incubus separate from other Cambians (+2 Cha and +1 Dex) - because their ability to both Charm Person (1x day, for 1 hour normal duration, a successful save = immune for 24 hours, and hostile) and Alter Self (1x day, lasting 8 hours also normal duration) {but no Cantrip} is not always available to other demons.
    {Yes, I know they aren't demons anymore, but they are Fiends}
    ----
    But, I'm not sure what to replace these with for other demon decendents.

I'm thinking of Control Flames Cantrip with Fearie Fire and Flame Blade once a day.

Suggestions?
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-04-19 at 09:45 PM.