A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Whats in the Tiefling Quarter of the city?

    A city on the Prime Material does a good deal of business with Sigil in the planes. There are more than the usual number of portals, and more than the usual number of planars who have settled there. The city is one of the very few cosmopolitan places where tieflings are just not unusual.

    Aasimars tend to settle in the temple district. But Tieflings enjoy their very own quarter of the city, and it shows a special cultural flavor. They take pride in their home. It is clean and middle class.

    So what people, or places would you put in this little quarter. (and what would you name it?)

    I will start with a Bar and grill. The Mad Modron, Exotic Woods.

    This is a decent bar with average prices. They sell all the normal drinks along with the more infernal brews some tieflings prefer.

    What makes the Modron special is the snacks they serve.
    The usual breads, meats and cheeses are there, BUT, they also serve fried crickets and exotic woods burned to bite sized, glowing embers and charcoals. The more exotic the wood the higher the price. With a tiefling's fire resistance they can eat these coals right out of the fire.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Unknown
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Whats in the Tiefling Quarter of the city?

    The main setting I run has a special name for the ghettos (older meaning) Tieflings are forced to live in: The Hellmouth. Hellmouths reflect their inhabitants well, being festooned in the cultural decorations of the Tieflings. It's almost a gawdy spectacle at times, specifically when the tiefling community needs an influx of tourist money. Think of it like if Disney had a Bavaria-land. It's stereotypical tiefling-culture to the point of being alomst offensive...if the Tieflings weren't making good gold off it.

    At the gates of every Hellmouth stands a metal guardian, a Warforged Golem. As the Tieflings were the original inventors of such things in this world, each Hellmouth is proud to finally afford a Golem of their own to protect the community. Their display at the entrance is both another tacky attraction, and a deadly reminder of what will befall any who threaten the Tieflings who live there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2013

    Default Re: Whats in the Tiefling Quarter of the city?

    The Hoof & Horn. A tiefling barbershop/salon that offers fang, hoof, and horn treatments along with tradition services.

    Polishing, cutting/trimming, sharpening, carving, shoeing, plating, gold leaf, painting, and even prosthetics of the highest quality and fashion

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    May 2018

    Default Re: Whats in the Tiefling Quarter of the city?

    Redbird Cosmetics
    A makeup shop selling foundation, lipstick, eyeshadow, and other cosmetics for people with tiefling skin colors.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Whats in the Tiefling Quarter of the city?

    Love the idea of the Tiefling barbershop and salon. I can just imagine a bunch of tieflings sitting in comfortable leather chairs, soaking their feet/hooves in boiling scented oils while a number of goblins or something similar used adamantine grinding stones to buff claws and talons.

    I'll throw my two-cents in with:

    The Sigil

    A tattoo and branding studio that specializes in Arcane Marks, scribes of tattoo-magic, and traditional tattoo and branding services that use special metals (to bypass some damage reduction types, like cold iron or silver needles) and special pigments taken from extraplanar sources.

    Like a beautiful, glittery ink being made from dried and crushed pixies.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

    Avatar by LCP

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Eldan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Whats in the Tiefling Quarter of the city?

    If you need ideas for planar-inspired locales, I could recommend In the Cage: A Guide to Sigil, which is basically a list of shops and restaurants. I'm sure you can find PDFs online in various legal ways.
    "And now I see, with eyes serene,
    The very pulse of the machine."

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Zhorn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Space Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Whats in the Tiefling Quarter of the city?

    I would imagine cloak or mask shops around the edges. Considering the nature of tieflings being as they are, not all would be entirely enamoured with being born as they were, and would find comfort in being able to conceal features that mark them out as being tieflings.
    I love the tieflings that are fully confident in their forms, but deep down they are people too and can also come from places where demonic features are not that common.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Eldan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Whats in the Tiefling Quarter of the city?

    Since you mentioned exotic food, why not go even further with that? Make a combined alchemist/spice shop. There might well be tieflings out there who need sulphur, quicksilver, charcoal, or whatever other demonic substances you have as part of their diet.
    "And now I see, with eyes serene,
    The very pulse of the machine."

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Malphegor's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2018

    Default Re: Whats in the Tiefling Quarter of the city?

    The Pointed Tale: A small one-room bookshop (sign outside shows a typical red devil/demon's tail on the backdrop of a yellow-paged book) primarily devoted to works of modern day political interest, however it does have a small collection of arcane material if requested.
    Atomic laser breath!

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Eldan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Whats in the Tiefling Quarter of the city?

    Since Tieflings are often statted as fire resistant, perhaps they would enjoy really hot baths or saunas? Alternatively, underground ice cellar with cold baths for those with ice devil heritage.
    "And now I see, with eyes serene,
    The very pulse of the machine."

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    On the "Web"
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Whats in the Tiefling Quarter of the city?

    The Scarred Imp: A large tavern that serves a variety of spirits and drinks, along with the typical tavern fare, but is most famous for their three specialty brews, each said to have been formulated on one of the lower planes:
    • Bitternectar: This drink is said to have been found in the deepest reaches of the Grey Wastes clutched in the hand of some poor sot condemned there. Served at room temperature, bitternectar a very thick liquid, roughly the viscosity of honey, is extremely bitter and has a pungent smell as it coats the mouth and throat. Strangely enough, the bitter taste and strong smell subside after half a second or so and it becomes almost utterly devoid of taste or smell, typically dulling the senses affected during initial ingestion a bit.
    • Iron Sap: Said to have been hewn into the core of a cube in Acheron, this drink certainly tastes like it. The drink is served hot, almost scalding temperature, and is a light red colour. The drink tastes like burning iron, rum, cola, vodka, and ghost pepper juice all mixed together(lime to garnish ). The drink is meant to be drunk in one go, as sitting for too long allows the drink to settle and the layers to separate.
    • Styx's Misfortune: Rumored to be from both Malsheem in Baator and from the Madhouse in Pandemonium, you'd swear this drink was either blood or water until you drank from it. The drink is served at a temperature in which it should be frozen solid, yet it is only refreshingly cool to the touch and as liquid as can be. Upon drinking it, it blocks all sensation from wherever it touches before chilling the drinker to the bone for a split second, only to return all sensation at once. It's said that the chill is the reaper himself judging if you're ready yet, but that's only hearsay. Or maybe not?


    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Since Tieflings are often statted as fire resistant, perhaps they would enjoy really hot baths or saunas? Alternatively, underground ice cellar with cold baths for those with ice devil heritage.
    As the party pays for the night's stay at the inn within the Tiefling Quarter: "And would you like to pay extra for use of the underground phlegethonian sauna [1d4 fire damage per round] or perhaps our lovely stygian pool[1d4 cold damage per round]?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Sometimes you need more than well crafted crunch. Sometimes you need well crafted crunch that is playable in the game.
    Steam: Papa Palpy Palpatine
    Pesterchum: mysticUmbra
    YouTube: Noctus Does Things

    Black(Blue and Green) or Sultai is my khanate, and my colour alignment.

    The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: Whats in the Tiefling Quarter of the city?

    Love all the suggestions!

    Maybe their own local theater, named after one of the early Teiflings who was a patron of the arts and helped establish the quarter?
    Damakos Theater Hall: Several theater halls exist throughout the city, and though the Royal Theater (or something like that), is certainly the largest and most opulent, the Damakos Theater is the oldest still running theater in the city. Think Globe Theater, smaller, a bit dirtiest, cozy, but still rather famous. Likely connects to some underground tunnels/sewer system.

    Maybe a local diviner, who specializes in ancestry? She's got some kind of connection with the outer planes, and is often visited by wayward Tieflings (and other planetouched folks) to inform them of their planar ancestors. 23 and me? =D

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Whats in the Tiefling Quarter of the city?

    These are great for the Tiefling city Iím working on for my setting! Thanks for the suggestions! Hereís one of my own:

    The Devilís Drawer - A clothing shop selling uniquely tailored gear to fit the needs of tiefling customers; for example, hoods and hats that accommodate a variety of horn shapes, capes and tunics with opening for tails, and specially made gloves for hands with different numbers of claws
    Currently worldbuilding Port Demesne: A Safe Harbor in a Shattered World! If you have a moment, I would love your feedback!

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Sep 2013

    Default Re: Whats in the Tiefling Quarter of the city?

    Love these ideas! I would probably do this concept as a "Planar Quarters" with all Tieflings, Aasimars, and Gensai find services. It's known as the Tiefling Quarters because they were the ones that turned this segregation into a thriving business and culture.

    Holidays are all massive spectacles as every culture does it's best to show off their specific talents. I would take inspiration from Neil Gaiman's Stardust Markets for the festivities surrounding all of this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aniikinis View Post
    The Scarred Imp: A large tavern that serves a variety of spirits and drinks, along with the typical tavern fare, but is most famous for their three specialty brews, each said to have been formulated on one of the lower planes:
    • Bitternectar: This drink is said to have been found in the deepest reaches of the Grey Wastes clutched in the hand of some poor sot condemned there. Served at room temperature, bitternectar a very thick liquid, roughly the viscosity of honey, is extremely bitter and has a pungent smell as it coats the mouth and throat. Strangely enough, the bitter taste and strong smell subside after half a second or so and it becomes almost utterly devoid of taste or smell, typically dulling the senses affected during initial ingestion a bit.
    • Iron Sap: Said to have been hewn into the core of a cube in Acheron, this drink certainly tastes like it. The drink is served hot, almost scalding temperature, and is a light red colour. The drink tastes like burning iron, rum, cola, vodka, and ghost pepper juice all mixed together(lime to garnish ). The drink is meant to be drunk in one go, as sitting for too long allows the drink to settle and the layers to separate.
    • Styx's Misfortune: Rumored to be from both Malsheem in Baator and from the Madhouse in Pandemonium, you'd swear this drink was either blood or water until you drank from it. The drink is served at a temperature in which it should be frozen solid, yet it is only refreshingly cool to the touch and as liquid as can be. Upon drinking it, it blocks all sensation from wherever it touches before chilling the drinker to the bone for a split second, only to return all sensation at once. It's said that the chill is the reaper himself judging if you're ready yet, but that's only hearsay. Or maybe not?




    As the party pays for the night's stay at the inn within the Tiefling Quarter: "And would you like to pay extra for use of the underground phlegethonian sauna [1d4 fire damage per round] or perhaps our lovely stygian pool[1d4 cold damage per round]?"
    The drink list makes me think of a DM with a mix list of strong drinks to actually do up for player order.

    As for sauna/ice bath, I would make it non-non-lethal for all those without fire resistance. Simply because I don't want to surprise murder a character. Unless they attempt extreme saunaing with some of thr locals.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonagel View Post
    Love all the suggestions!

    Maybe their own local theater, named after one of the early Teiflings who was a patron of the arts and helped establish the quarter?
    Damakos Theater Hall: Several theater halls exist throughout the city, and though the Royal Theater (or something like that), is certainly the largest and most opulent, the Damakos Theater is the oldest still running theater in the city. Think Globe Theater, smaller, a bit dirtiest, cozy, but still rather famous. Likely connects to some underground tunnels/sewer system.

    Maybe a local diviner, who specializes in ancestry? She's got some kind of connection with the outer planes, and is often visited by wayward Tieflings (and other planetouched folks) to inform them of their planar ancestors. 23 and me? =D
    With 16 Outer Planes, 4 Inner planes, and the Prime, I think it's 21 and me.

    Unless you have half children from the Astral and Ethereal. That gets the number right!

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    sandmote's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Whats in the Tiefling Quarter of the city?

    I'd like to suggest a basic layout for the quarter: 9 major streets running parallel to each other, and one more running crookedly across them (based on the nine hells and the abyss). And The Hellfire Forge as a smithy in the quarter.

    I also have concerns about Ninjadeadbeard's suggestions, but I'm having trouble putting it in any way that doesn't sound horrible on some level. I'm not entirely sure I'm seeing a connection that was intentional, but I don't have an issue if that connection is used sensitively (and actually like that connection myself). At the very least, could I get your sources for the suggestion you are describing to other people looking for something to use themselves?
    Extended Signature, Woo! Latest Homebrew: The Oath of Oration.

    Spoiler: Previous Avatar
    Show

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Vancouver <-> Dublin
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Whats in the Tiefling Quarter of the city?

    The Lower Embassies
    An opulent demonic building and an impressive devilish barracks face each other across the street. Their staff attempt to recruit tieflings to one side or the other of the Blood War - "honour your fiendish ancestry!" etc. Bloodthirsty/foolish/desperate tieflings can earn generous fees by enlisting... though most are wise enough to stay away, so the fiends seize the opportunity to give recruitment speeches to non-tiefling visitors to the district.

    The Massage Parlour
    Tieflings of succubus/incubus descent offer their specialised services in this ornate parlour.

    The Guild
    This abandoned warehouse covers sewer tunnels housing the city's Thieves Guild, comprised of many different races but led by a tiefling rogue.

    The Shops
    A series of small, disreputable shops selling antiques, curios, potions, books etc, all imbued with black magic from the Abyssal and Infernal planes.

    The Penitents
    A religious society of tieflings who wish to purge themselves of evil. They cut off their horns and tails, wear rags stained with their own blood, and indulge in ritual self-flagellation & wailing prayers during group processions through the district. Most tieflings (even good-aligned ones) regard them with some degree of contempt.

    The Ambassadresses
    A covey of night hags in humanoid form, these three sisters own one of the Shops and represent the neutral fiendish interests in the district. They have ties to organised crime in the district and keep the peace when the Lower Embassies try to start up trouble (or at least when they would threaten the hags' income).

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    On the "Web"
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Whats in the Tiefling Quarter of the city?

    Phoenix Feather and Onyx Gem: A sort of catch-all, no-questions-asked resurrection and necromancy parlour. You can have party members revived, murderhobo victims raised (and, if need be, disfigured to remove resemblances, recognizable markings, etc. for additional fee), speak with the dead, and various other services, all with a price. It's owned by a wealthy tiefling medium who conducts these rituals and hires adventurers to acquire rare, expensive, or exoctic materials and components.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Sometimes you need more than well crafted crunch. Sometimes you need well crafted crunch that is playable in the game.
    Steam: Papa Palpy Palpatine
    Pesterchum: mysticUmbra
    YouTube: Noctus Does Things

    Black(Blue and Green) or Sultai is my khanate, and my colour alignment.

    The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PopeLinus1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Home, as is the law.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Whats in the Tiefling Quarter of the city?

    The Inflamed Gambit, A riverboat casino that rests on a portal-connected branch of the river styx.

    On board, you can experience virtually any vice, and ownership of the boat changes hands very often as the owner is usually ends up dead, some people even thinking it's cursed.
    A diamond necklace played the pawn
    Hand in hand some drummed along, oh
    To a handsome man and baton (Bygone, bygone)
    A blind class aristocracy
    Back through the opera glass you see
    The pit and the pendulum drawn (Bygone, bygone)
    Columnated ruins domino

    My avatar was made by a very lovely chap by the name of smutmulch. That was very cool of them.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Whats in the Tiefling Quarter of the city?

    At the edge of the district is the Raging Inferno.

    This casino, theater, and bar is run by tieflings for non-tieflings. Traveling tiefling bards, dancers, and actors provide entertainment. The casino and bar is festooned by more than two thousand Continual Flame spells, giving the impression of a blazing inferno.

    the upstairs provides other services as well for those willing to pay. Three separate portals to Sigil are available for a price to those who need to "disappear." The casino receives a monthly stipend from the city thieves guild for this service. The money comes from both directions as Sigil also has needs for a disappearance service.

    Magical disguises are also available here, as are various potions and planar components smuggled through the portals.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: Whats in the Tiefling Quarter of the city?

    Tieflings.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Max_Killjoy's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    The Lakes

    Default Re: Whats in the Tiefling Quarter of the city?

    I kept clicking on this thread expecting that to have been posted...
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

    Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

    The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

    The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Whats in the Tiefling Quarter of the city?

    Bleeding Heart Hospital, a medical treatment area designed specifically for caring for tiefling biology, providing physical, alchemic, and magical healing, as well as counseling services for those hailing from walks of life that treated them as... lesser, due to their infernal origins.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    On the "Web"
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Whats in the Tiefling Quarter of the city?

    Heart of Lilith: A large brothel in an out of the way part of the quarter that the tourists typically don't enter (either due to danger or ignorance, you decide). The Heart of Lilith is run by Lily Adamah, a tiefling with strong blood ties from both succubi and erinyes, who exclusively employs tieflings and "fallen"(aka rebellious, evil-aligned, or otherwise sympathetic to those with fiendish ties) aasimar but caters to all who enter her doors with discounts based on various criteria that seem to change based on the day of the week. She also has connections on sigil for those with more adventurous tastes(though she does not have a portal there). The brothel has a sub-basement that connects to the city sewers and acts as a hideaway for the thieves guild, while Lily gaining a small payment monthly and the occasional extra help with rowdy and/or rude customers. Members of the local thieves guild have a healthy discount on any fees members of the guild incur while using her "services" so long as they keep the tithe, their manners, and stay low and under the eyes of the guard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Sometimes you need more than well crafted crunch. Sometimes you need well crafted crunch that is playable in the game.
    Steam: Papa Palpy Palpatine
    Pesterchum: mysticUmbra
    YouTube: Noctus Does Things

    Black(Blue and Green) or Sultai is my khanate, and my colour alignment.

    The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2019

    Default Re: Whats in the Tiefling Quarter of the city?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjadeadbeard View Post
    The main setting I run has a special name for the ghettos (older meaning) Tieflings are forced to live in: The Hellmouth. Hellmouths reflect their inhabitants well, being festooned in the cultural decorations of the Tieflings. It's almost a gawdy spectacle at times, specifically when the tiefling community needs an influx of tourist money. Think of it like if Disney had a Bavaria-land. It's stereotypical tiefling-culture to the point of being alomst offensive...if the Tieflings weren't making good gold off it.

    At the gates of every Hellmouth stands a metal guardian, a Warforged Golem. As the Tieflings were the original inventors of such things in this world, each Hellmouth is proud to finally afford a Golem of their own to protect the community. Their display at the entrance is both another tacky attraction, and a deadly reminder of what will befall any who threaten the Tieflings who live there.
    Coooooool.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2019

    Default Re: Whats in the Tiefling Quarter of the city?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops08 View Post
    At the edge of the district is the Raging Inferno.

    This casino, theater, and bar is run by tieflings for non-tieflings. Traveling tiefling bards, dancers, and actors provide entertainment. The casino and bar is festooned by more than two thousand Continual Flame spells, giving the impression of a blazing inferno.

    the upstairs provides other services as well for those willing to pay. Three separate portals to Sigil are available for a price to those who need to "disappear." The casino receives a monthly stipend from the city thieves guild for this service. The money comes from both directions as Sigil also has needs for a disappearance service.

    Magical disguises are also available here, as are various potions and planar components smuggled through the portals.
    Yeah, where the non-tieflings come to hang out with the cool kids. All the cosplay tieflings and horn-chasers come here to be part of the scene.
    Last edited by jjordan; 2019-04-09 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Spelling

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •