Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: OOC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

Vigo doesn't have any particular kind of place he'd be from, though if there's a particular location with a strong noble/martial culture that would fit pretty well.
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Are we still good? Been a few days since the last post.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Yeah, I'm sorry, RL has continued to be crappy.

Also I hoped that I could get the infodump about the area done before I make the next IC post, so that's been stalling be as well, though I see that that might in a sense defeat the purpose. I mean, it's hard to stay interested in game when the DM goes silent for days. -_-'

I'll see what I can do ASAP.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Take your time, Vigo will be there when you're ready :)

5. - Top - End - #155

Devil

Oh, I can wait, I just wanted to make sure we were continuing, I've had games dry up without a word before. RL comes first, just did not know if you were out or not.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

6. - Top - End - #156

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    Take your time, Vigo will be there when you're ready :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bansheexero View Post
    Oh, I can wait, I just wanted to make sure we were continuing, I've had games dry up without a word before. RL comes first, just did not know if you were out or not.
    Thank you, and I know that's a legit concern, I've had a number of DMs disappearing from games on these boards. I understand that RL can get in the way, but I would hope that people would at least their fellow players know when they must quit. *shrug*

Oh well, anyway! Trying to get back into living a normal nerdy life. ;P

Like I promised, here's an infodump about the area. You don't need to remember or even read all of it, but it's here for reference in case you're curious. Also you can choose a place where your character comes from, and/or where they have travelled, if you want to. I have some recommendations, but it's ultimately up to you.

Spoiler: The Coast of the Herreran Sea
    Show
    Spell Skerries
    An archipelago north of the Herreran sea where 'every island is its own kingdom'. The climate is warm and generous, and the population very diverse, basically changing from island to island, though humans, elves and halflings are thought to be most numerous. The culture of the area is as colourful as its people, but in general the Skerries are famous for making decorative fabrics, diving for pearls and making extremely spicy food.

The sea between the islands is rumoured to be incredibly deep in many places, and that a number of water-dwelling creatures call those depths home. (One possible site for Eralia's home.)

Prendance
    (Prendence, Prandance, Prandence, Prendante, etc. depending on dialect)
    Ah, the beautiful and rich Prendance where life is joy and the wine excellent! The saying might be exaggerating the bliss of ordinary life somewhat, but it is generally agreed that there is no match for the Prendancian wine on the whole coast.

Prendance is located to the south-east from the Skerries, with the ocean to the west and the heartland of the kingdom to the east. The land is fertile and seems virtually blessed with eternally good harvests, which make the life of the general populace notably easier than in its neighbouring countries, though they still have very little say in the country's politics, as that right is reserved to the noble class, not to mention the royal family. King Erelice IV has ruled long, but is very old and it's said that it won't be long before his eldest child, Princess Hesteris will take his place.

The population is mostly human and elven, with halflings and dwarves forming the biggest minorities. However, members of other races live in Prendance as well, especially near the borders. The most notable cities on the coast are known as Lumiara and Auroria. The former is famous for its exquisite seafood and tamed wyverns ridden by the guard, the latter for its masked balls and dueling culture, particularly the Alseye Warrior Academy. (Recommendation for Vigo's home.)

Khuiren

(Khuireen, Khuir'eh)
    The land south of Prendance is less fortunate than its neighbour when it comes to climate and fertile land. As a result the people of Khuiren have grown up accustomed to rough life, even so far as to make that a defining part of their culture. 'Those fancy Prendancian princes wouldn't survive a day of real life' is a common saying that encapsulates both the pride and bitterness of Khuiren's people. The two countries have been at war more often than not, though currently there is no open conflict ongoing.

Humans and dwarves make up most of Khuiren's population by the coast, though farther inland to elves also grow in number. Like its norhtern neighbour, the country is ruled by the noble class and they in turn are held tightly in the iron fist of King Jasorun XII, also known as His Highness the Sledgehammer.

The economy of Khuiren gets by thanks to the mining industry, unsurprisingly mainly run by dwarves. On the coast the major ports are two rough mining cities Echerburh and Vanhem, but the shining jewel of trade is the vibrant city of Hetekan, the best place of finding pleasure and excitement in the whole country. (Recommendation for Tybalt's home.)

Liyit
    (Liyiti)
    South of Khuiren lies a nation built by dwarves and orcs of all people. The two races fought over dominance in this land since time immemorial until a joint group known as the Peace Builders forged a new state to rule over them both. They did it by creating a society based on a strict caste hierarchy, where everyone has their place and should be happy for it.

Liyit is ruled by Fitirri, a Council of Clans, and each clam in turn govern over their own districts and designated industries. Like Khuiren, the country relies heavily on mining to produce goods for trade and fierce competition is always in the air, or tunnels as the case may be, and has occasionally burst into armed conflict between the two nations. Most of the trade is run through coastal mining towns Akabay and Aokar, though most visitors prefer to head to the city of Kellreit, which holds the fighting arena fittingly named The Bloody Pit.

Due to the strict order of Liyitian society, newcomers have had a difficult time settling into the country. Only the coastal towns have a small representation of other races, and in the south there are some settlements that consist of other goblinoid kind.

Plains of Yamtua/The Shattered Hills
    A wide area of grassland and rough hillsides between Liyit and Messaruun, and the home of many peoples preferring a nomadic lifestyle. There are a couple of permanent towns and tradeposts, but most of the tribes of the area prefer to stay on the move. They are mostly orc and goblinoid races, but also humans, halflings and a few others.

Lately, Liyit has lead a campaign to overtake some of the northern reaches of the plains and this has lead to further conflict among the local tribes as they have all been pushed south to fight over a smaller territory than what they've been used to.

Messaruun
    (Messarun, Messruun, Messa'uun, etc.)
    Only a small slice of the coast of the Herreran sea is held by the large empire of Messaruun. Its capital lies far in the east, and being sent to the small city of Ergazil that was founded to guard the country's interests by the western sea is considered a punishment among the army and nobility.

Most of the people living along the Herreran coast know little about Messaruun, though they've heard tales that the empire has made an art of keeping control over vast uninhabited territories, including a deadly desert, which is a land complete devoid water, if you can imagine a thing like that!

Messarunians are eager to trade and the markets of Ergazil offer many exotic goods brought over from other parts of the empire.

The Free Cities

Some half a dozen city-states and a number of vassal towns scattered about the Herreran sea are collectively known as the Free Cities, though individually they have little in common except the claim to independence. The number of Free Cities also changes from time to time, currently there are seven that can be considered fully free.

The cities have different ways of holding on to their freedom in a tumultuous world. For example, Marmimor has a number of Universities and Colleges, and relies on its mages to keep its status, the ancient Saffra is protected by a mighty sea dragon and Yaluqi has built an extensive banking network and keeps itself protected from conflicts by having a firm grip on basically everyone's money.

Thundering Ocean (and beyond)
    When you travel far enough to the west the Herreran sea changes to the Thundering ocean, a vast open sea that some also call the Endless Ocean, though the learned know that's mere ignorant nonsense. A persistent traveller will eventually reach another continent, called Koivannes according to scholars, though it is known by other names as well. Travel between the continents happens occasionally, but due to the many dangers that lurk in the wide open sea in between, contact is quite rare. (Depths of the Thundering Ocean is another possible site for Eralia's home.)

7. - Top - End - #157
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Not sure where out of those would fit Asvard, I was going for something like pathfinder's Ulfen/land of the linnorn kings or more generally your former viking aesthetic.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Prendance sounds just fine for Vigo's home. Expect him to lament the quality of any alcoholic beverage that doesn't live up to the fine wines which the nobles back home serve (which in his opinion is most all of them). I figure he was either from a minor noble family with some small bit of status but no titles, money, or power to speak of; or to be so far down the line that he won't inherit anything--or both.

9. - Top - End - #159

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder999 View Post
    Not sure where out of those would fit Asvard, I was going for something like pathfinder's Ulfen/land of the linnorn kings or more generally your former viking aesthetic.
    Hmm, the closest to viking-esque culture would be in north-western Spell Skerries, a collection of islands known as Vanskap Stenner. In the past the Stenneri people were known as great seafarers and warriors who made their fortune by half raiding half trading with Empire of Rhaudysia, which lies north of the Skerries. Now, the glory days of Rhaudysia are long since passed, and while there would be new 'business' opportunities south on the Herreran sea, the Stenneri culture is not what it was in the past. The Spell Skerries have suffered from deforestation and erosion, which has made it more difficult for the locals to acquire the lumber necessary to build ships fit for long distance travel. At this time the people are also scattered with no central leadership and warlords prefer to fight each other for power and gold instead of venturing to wider waters. Still, the people have their stories and pride of past heroes and adventures, and some still hope the olde days of glory will return one day. Most Stenneri are human, with notable minorities of elves and elemental peoples, as well as the inevitable half-bloods.

Alternatively, Liyit could work as a background. Kellreit has some human inhabitants, most working on the docks or the fighting arena, and the officials also hire mercenaries to 'guard' the nearby seas. (Basically privateering.)

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    Prendance sounds just fine for Vigo's home. Expect him to lament the quality of any alcoholic beverage that doesn't live up to the fine wines which the nobles back home serve (which in his opinion is most all of them). I figure he was either from a minor noble family with some small bit of status but no titles, money, or power to speak of; or to be so far down the line that he won't inherit anything--or both.
    Either would work well, Prendance has a very extensive nobility and not all of the branches of the families manage to hold on to money and power. If you have something in mind you can post it or PM me and I'll see how it fits in the scene. (Family name, do they live in the city or country, inland or coast, etc.) Alternatively you can give me some pointers and I'll see what I can come up with.
    Last edited by CWater; 2019-04-29 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Corrected a country name

10. - Top - End - #160
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spell Skerries sounds perfect. Asvard is definitely among those who long for the olde days of glory. A big part of him seeking piracy is as a way to raid for gold and glory like his forefathers did.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's that Geography check! Wish me luck, everyone!

Also, not sure, but I think I get a +2 for using a map? If so, that additional modifier will need to be added.

(1d20+3)[19]
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

12. - Top - End - #162

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by hannahbbug3 View Post
    Here's that Geography check! Wish me luck, everyone!

Also, not sure, but I think I get a +2 for using a map? If so, that additional modifier will need to be added.

[roll0]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Piscine is fairly sure that the spot Suur marked is around the very same area where they dropped the cursed chest overboard, if not THE spot where it fell.

13. - Top - End - #163

Devil

Actually, I was asked to "send for the witch" not go get her myself. I was unsure how to approach this, but somebody would need to sit and watch Suur while she is being retrieved and Piscine left, entrusting her to me.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

14. - Top - End - #164
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Been a week since anyone's posted.

15. - Top - End - #165

Griffon

Hey, yeah I'm sorry. It's been one of those weeks. Working on a post right now, thank you for being patient with me.
    Last edited by CWater; 2019-05-10 at 09:16 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166

Griffon

Hey, so I understand you've probably been disappointed by my post rate lately. I've had some RL issues to deal with and it has showed more than I would have liked. While I can't promise for sure that things will pick up, the end of spring term will mean that there's at least a few things less I need to worry about on a regular basis.

Anyway, I thought it best to do an interest check at this point, before I move the scene forward. Are you still around and interested in the game? And do you have any other concerns or thoughts at this time? (Other than my sadly infrequent posting.)
    Last edited by CWater; 2019-05-24 at 07:40 AM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm still here!

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

18. - Top - End - #168

Devil

Still here, I don't mind the delays, as I'm currently playing in two other campaigns, GMing one, and recruiting for another I will be GMing. But yes, still very interested.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Given that I'm coming back from a far too long hiatus on posting myself, I don't mind the post rate, and I'm definitely still onboard for the game!

20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm still interested.

21. - Top - End - #171

Griffon

Alright, good to hear.

Then I'll be posting the next bit of the journey soonish. We still have enough players to move forward, if the need for re-recruitment should arise, we'll see about that then.

22. - Top - End - #172

Devil

Hopefully we can move forward soon, I found an interesting and thematic direction for Eralia. Shark Style would be quite interesting, as it turns unarmed attacks into piercing weapons, which allows it to apply Swashbuckler abilities to it. Eralia can become even more shark-like with the progression of that style as it gives her scent, but only underwater and only against creatures that are bleeding.

Of course, the lowest level I could get to Shark Style is level 5, and I'd have to delay Piranha Strike and Weapon Specialization for my Falcata, but it would certainly be thematic. It'd trade power for versatility (in the event I am unarmed)
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-06-10 at 11:35 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

23. - Top - End - #173

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Bansheexero View Post
    Hopefully we can move forward soon, I found an interesting and thematic direction for Eralia. Shark Style would be quite interesting, as it turns unarmed attacks into piercing weapons, which allows it to apply Swashbuckler abilities to it. Eralia can become even more shark-like with the progression of that style as it gives her scent, but only underwater and only against creatures that are bleeding.

Of course, the lowest level I could get to Shark Style is level 5, and I'd have to delay Piranha Strike and Weapon Specialization for my Falcata, but it would certainly be thematic. It'd trade power for versatility (in the event I am unarmed)
    Sounds cool, I approve thematic build choices.

And the incoming fight is a chance to earn some XP!

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Con Damage - (1d4)[1]

just my luck, right? Result 80: The caster takes 1d4 Constitution damage even if he would normally be immune to ability damage. Creatures without a Constitution score instead take Charisma damage.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2019-06-13 at 08:58 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    Sounds cool, I approve thematic build choices.

And the incoming fight is a chance to earn some XP!
    And damn, I noticed at level 11, the Swashbuckler gets an ability that not only deals bleed, but if you spend 2 Panache points on it, it can instead cause 1 point of Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution bleed (so it is like Deadly Stroke only way more reliable and versatile without the heavy feat tax Deadly Stroke entails, and about the same level, if not sooner). And this is on the Vanilla Swashbuckler as well. I thought Precise Strikes was broken, this is even more potent. With Shark Style making my fists piercing, I can cause ridiculous bleed to a target. Were it not for the Panache cost, this would be a troll killer (Ability score damage procs before regeneration)
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-06-14 at 12:06 AM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

26. - Top - End - #176
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Asvard's acrobatics check

(1d20+4)[24]

27. - Top - End - #177

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder999 View Post
    Asvard's acrobatics check

[roll0]
    Asvard manages to keep his balance and can act normally.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Acrobatics: (1d20+8)[10]

edit: oof, that nat 2
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2019-06-20 at 06:46 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Acrobatics check: (1d20+8)[13]

30. - Top - End - #180

Devil

How far are the ships from one another? Contemplating diving into the water and climbing up the side of the other ship.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim