Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 311
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Home

    Default IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    Herreran Sea, some 60 miles from the coast of Prendance

    Waves splash against the sides of two ships as they speed across the ocean. The smaller one has a slight lead, but the other ship is catching up quickly, the favourable wind puffing its sails to the full. Nervousness is clear on the faces of the sailors onboard the smaller vessel, as they well know the meaning of the black flag the other ship sails under, but their captain looks determined and commands them to prepare for battle.

    The pirate ship is starting to gain on the other, and soon the two will sail side by side. The main deck of the Gall Seeker is busy as the hells on a pay day, as the gun master is shouting her voice out, dishing out final orders as the crew is readying the cannons on the starboard side to fire. Suddenly the watchman from the crow's nest cries out a warning, “They have a hidden cannon!!” The pirates see how a large clumsy-looking gun shimmers into view on the merchant ship they're hunting. “Gun Master! Order to fire, NOW!!”, bellows Captain Ironskin from the quarterdeck. “You heard the Cap'n! FIRE!!”, replies the gun master and lights the two closest cannons herself. The gun crew rushes to fire the rest then stumble back to dodge the recoil.

    Smoke and booming noises fill the pirate ship when the guns go off. The merchant ship takes damage, though the position had not yet been optimal for the volley. “Prepare for impact!!”, shouts the watchman and a second later a tremor shakes the Gall Seeker.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Welcome to a life of piracy! (background music) As you may have guessed, the Gall Seeker is aiming to plunder a merchant ship they spotted while scouting a known trade route. As it happens, the ship's captain doesn't seem keen to surrender so you're in for a fight!

    Please make an Acrobatics check DC 12, to see whether you start the game standing with grace or undignifiedly prone.

    Also, please choose what section of the ship you're on:
    Back deck*: The wheel is here, as well as the Captain and Quartermaster, who is currently steering the ship. Highest deck on the Gall Seeker.
    Front deck**: Second highest deck. At the front (duh). Usually considered the best place for archers, etc.
    Main deck: Lower than the front and back. Holds the cannons and equipment for boarding. Best place if you plan to board by jumping over the railing.
    Rigging and Crow's nest: Highest vantage point, best place for observation and if you wish to board by doing a cool rope swing. Downside is the risk of falling if the ship takes heavy damage.
    Below deck: Undoubtedly the safest place, as long as the ship is not sinking. Though unless you have a good reason to avoid the fight, the Captain might be cross with you later.

    *Officially known as the quarterdeck, but I don't demand the usage of proper seafaring terminology. You may if you wish to though!
    **I.e. the forecastle.
    Last edited by CWater; 2018-12-27 at 08:31 PM.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

    DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    Piscine had the wind quite under control, thank you very much. It was degrading enough to have overlapping abilities with the ship's other mages - especially when he had once believed his powers unique in the world - but to cast in tandem with them? It was downright insulting to think that he would need help. Still, the Captain wasn't to be crossed, and it did make things easier, sometimes. Having to coordinate which way to steer the wind wasn't easy, though, especially when he was shouting down from the Crow's Nest.

    "I have it now, Asvard!" the undine called out, his hands upturned towards the skies and tears rolling down his face. He'd had it this whole time, of course. But now the other ship was fighting back, and if someone was going to make sure they couldn't sail away - well, Piscine wanted the credit for that. Besides, dropping down to the other deck from the Crow's Nest? Not the most fun thing, he didn't think. Let the blasting casters handle the fight. Piscine was in his element right where he was now. Without looking to see if the others were going to give him the reins or not, Piscine turned his hands, feeling the wind shift along with them. The breeze that had been carrying them towards their object of plunder twisted into a circular pattern, a speedy updraft carrying the two boats closer to one another. See the enemy ship sail against that. They wouldn't be going anywhere, now. There was a Wind Lord commanding the sails.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    Vigo curses quietly as the lookout shouts a warning--he should have seen that himself. He was too caught up in the spectacle that was the Gall Seeker cutting through the waves, bearing down on the hapless ship ahead of them, a wolf running down its prey. The pirates seemed to have taken a liking to him, but he still felt his position might be shaky among the crew. If his performance didn't live up to his boasting--well, Vigo would take his chances with irate nobles before he'd even think of crossing the captain. It appeared a fight would be imminent, though, and while Vigo was still getting used to shipboard life, swordplay was something he was intimately familiar with.

    The ships crash together and Vigo stumbles forward in his lookout post. He clenches the railing as he finds himself staring down at the crew gathered below on the deck, and his head swims. Clamping his eyes shut for a moment, he clears his head before going into action. He scrambles out over the yardarm and finds a line secured to the outer end. With estoc in one hand and rope in the other, he leaps from the rigging, aiming his swing toward the cannon.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Acrobatics check if necessary to balance on the yardarm: (1d20+8)[12]
    Using the Rope Swing talent to swing out over the enemy ship--I can move up to 30ft (within reach of the rope) without provoking an AoO. I would like to swing as close as possible to the cannon. What I do after will depend on how close Vigo can get and who is between him and the gun crew.
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

    Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    Eralia sat up in the rigging, partially to prepare for combat and partially to help keep the ship steady under the mages' wind magic. She eyes the enemy vessel as the ship encroaches upon it, grasping a rope and preparing to swing aboard.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Acrobatics check to maintain balance (1d20+7)[16]
    Acrobatics check to swing across when near (1d20+7)[11]

    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

    He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

    Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

    Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2015

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    Tybalt always hated this part, the moment before two ships met in a blaze of splinters and blood. Speaking of blood- He adjusts his sleeves, and blood splatter blooms across the front of his clothing as the garments become tattered and worn in the space of mere seconds. Thanks to his item, he’d gone from an unpleasant sailor to a bloody, ragged madman. Fear was an asset in piracy, and it was always best to look the part.

    One last thing to complete the image- He closes his eyes for a moment, trying to call on the whims of his little curse. He’d very nearly gotten the hang of it these days... but then the lookout calls about a surprise cannon as his eyes snap open, concentration broken. Drat. Still, better not be focused inward during incoming cannon fire!

    And what was that arcing across? Vigo. The new shipmate who’d charmed Quartermaster Frin. What a showoff.

    But showoffs died fast, and he was technically subordinate to the swordsman. Tybalt races along the main deck so that, when the time came, he would board near to Vigo. Hopefully, the aide could stay alive until then.
    Last edited by aReallyGreatAxe; 2018-12-28 at 01:12 AM.
    Spoiler: Currently Playing...
    Show


    Isaac Crane, the Silver Sparrow's antimagic gunslinger

    Queen Bouranne
    , ready to defend her doomed city

    Spoiler: Playing in Games on Hiatus...
    Show

    Rowan Mata, healer and annoying little brother

    Tybalt, ship's rat

    Vern, who'll win back his fortune any day now....
    Natasha Polzin, Ascended NPC and Roguebuckler extraordinaire

    Laurel Cascara, who has a cat now. (and it's better than Freya)

    Ilvan Selma , retired Helguard


  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Triangle, NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    Up in the rigging, Brom Kale laughed into the wind.

    This was the place to be, he knew it. This ship had a reputation. He could scarcely believe his luck in signing on, and he wasn't going to waste this opportunity. Now was the time for fortune and glory.

    His smile faltered a bit when Vigo leapt out to swing over to their prey. Damn it all, that's what *he* was going to do! Now he'd look like he was following the man's lead... well, no time to come up with a new dramatic entry. He'd just have to do it with more style.

    "FOR FORTUNE AND GLORY," he bellowed, laughing uproariously as he lept out into the air.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    Asvard was rushing down to the main deck when the impact occurred, and consequently fell onto his rear. He smiles anyway, a cruel grin, it's always more fun when they try to fight back.

    First he stands back up, hoping nobody was paying too much attention to him. As he does he bellows out "If you're handling the weather then where's my rain Piscine!" with that handled he heads towards the side of the ship closest to their prey, he's got merchants to freeze.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    Glaring at Asvard from the corner of his eyes, the undine huffs out a breath and shifts his focus from the wind to the water. It will take a moment for a storm to brew, but already a light mist pulls itself into existence around the undine - along with several lightning bolts that crackle down around him and make his hair stand on end. Shaking his head quickly, Piscine redoubles his focus. "Temper, temper-" he scolds himself.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Spending one spell point to affect two types of weather at the same time, so Piscine can legally do this in the same round as affecting the wind. There is now a mist over the entire area, giving all creatures concealment from any creatures over 100 ft away (all attacks suffer a 20% miss chance).

    Spoiler: Wild Magic!
    Show
    Result 39: All creatures within close range of the caster are struck by lightning, taking 1d6 electrical damage plus 1 per caster level. A Reflex save negates this damage.

    The save DC for Piscine's magic is 15. Hopefully everyone is more than 30 feet away from him!

    Electrical damage: (1d6+2)[3]
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    Up on the deck with the First Mate, Rafril just can't help but exude an air of nobility. Even lying flat on his face, nearly kissing the dirty wooden planks, it's as if he meant for that to happen. Getting up and turning to Abrayus, he says "Quite the resistance we have here. It'd make for a poor tavern-tale if they were to lose so quickly... [...] I am no man for tavern tales, however, so how might my services assist in keeping this battle short?"
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show
    Ew, Goaty make stinky homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Home

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    As Piscine conjures the storm above the ship lighting starts to rain down to the rigging and those preparing to swing have to watch their behinds. Quartermaster Frin eyes the display suspiciously from behind the ship's wheel. "I sure hope the brat knows what he's doing", he mutters. "Don't worry, he knows what will happen if he breaks my ship", the Captain replies calmly, a dangerous smile on her lips.

    Then she glances over to the merchant ship and her expression changes, "It's preparing to shoot! Take us in Quartermaster!!"
    "Aye aye, Cap'n..."

    The Gall Seeker smashes to the side of the smaller ship and the force of the impact sends half the crews on both ships to embrace the deck. At this time Vigo executes a stylish swing from the rigging to the deck of the other ship, landing next to the cannon. Eralia and Bromden follow soon after him.

    Spoiler: Landing
    Show
    You manage to land where you meant, but unfortunately take some nonlethal damage.
    Vigo: (1d6)[2]
    Eralia: (1d6)[6]

    Bromden, in case he fails the Acrobatics check, DC 15: (1d6)[5]

    Eralia and Bromden have also not stated where they aimed to land, do you wish to land near Vigo by the cannon or somewhere else?


    Suddenly the mouth of the heavy cannon shines bright and a shining orb shoots out towards the pirate ship. Upon reaching the main mast it explodes to a horizontal disc of fire covering the main deck. Unfortunately for the merchant ship, either due to the poor visibility or fault on the gun the blast was aimed a little too high, making it possible for the pirates to duck under it.

    Spoiler: Fire!
    Show
    Those on the main deck, Tybalt, Rafril and Asvard, please make a Reflex save DC 11 or take (2d6)[8] fire damage. Negated on a success.


    "Blast it! Grappling hooks!!", shouts the First Mate Abrayus, who had held his footing after the contact, though due to his height his hair and clothes looked badly singed by the fire, "Now, not on Thursday you lazy turtles!" Trusting that his commands were carried out he turns to Rafril, "Well, disabling that cannon would be most excellent. As would stopping or intimidating their crew to surrendering." He glares at his burned sleeves, "I say, this was my favourite jacket!"

    Asvard and Tybalt arrived at the edge of the main deck just before the cannon fired. They had a good view to watch the crew throw grappling hooks over the rail of the other ship, before the two vessels could drift too far apart again. Some pirates had burns from the blast, but they tried not to let that slow them down. "BOARD AT WILL!!", they hear the First Mate order from behind.

    "Don't damage that cannon!", cries the Gun Master, eyes gleaming with excitement, "I want it!"
    Last edited by CWater; 2018-12-28 at 08:50 PM.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

    DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    As the rest of the crew advances, Piscine continues to focus on the weather. The light mist is dissipated by rain, which begins to sprinkle down from the sky. He keeps the wind moving in its circular pattern, doing his best to keep the two ships close unless he is ordered otherwise.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The concealment is gone as soon as it starts to rain. The light rain (at least when it starts) doesn't have an effect on combat, but might make the deck slick as it goes on, GM's discretion. Piscine is keeping the wind speed moderate, so it doesn't have any effect on combat, either.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    Eralia lands 10 ft away from Vigo, drawing her blade. She winces slightly from the soft landing. Her small frame seems oddly disproportionate to her rather large falcata and she holds it rather oddly, allowing for most of the left to carry it, as if she is swinging dead weight. Looking over to her fellow crewmate, she grits her teeth. A smirk crawls across her face as she exclaims, "Time to feed these guppies to Skagos, let's cut them down. I'm looking forward to running my blade through some fresh bodies."

    She looks around, locating the rival ship's crew and passengers as best she can under the fog.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Perception check (1d20+8)[21]

    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

    He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

    Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

    Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    (1d20+2)[14] Reflex save

    If he can get within 130ft he's going to attempt to encase up to three enemy gunners in 1 inch thick ice.

    Or if not he'll commence his attack on the nearest enemy within 130ft by firing off a blast of frost magic.
    If there's noone within that range, but he can move to put someone within it he shall attempt to do so.

    If none of the above are possible then he shall simply attempt to close distance with the enemy gunners.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    If at some point he has to leap across requiring an acrobatics check then that's (1d20+4)[17]

    DC 16 reflex negates the encasing in ice, if there's less than three gunners the ice is thicker (he has 3 inches to play with) and the ice should last 1 minute per inch in normal temperatures. An enemy who passes the save is entangled for 1 round. It's a DC 15+thickness in inches (so probably 16) escape artist or strength check as a full round action to break out, or an ally needs to deal 3hp/inch of damage.

    If we're attacking instead it's (1d20+7)[12] to hit touch AC
    If he doesn't have to move he spends a full round action and deals (4d6+5)[13] cold damage
    If he has to move it's only (2d6+5)[11] cold damage
    Regardless of damage a successful hit staggers for one round on a failed DC 17 fortitude save

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Triangle, NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    Brom releases his line and tumbles in midair, drawing both his blades before landing gracefully on the deck.

    "Damn, Eralia," he says, "have I ever told you I like a woman with a bit of bloodlust?"

    He smirks at the sea elf as he takes in the scene.

    Perception: (1d20+6)[10]

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    "You know Abrayus, I'd simply love to do so, but it seems I had not prepared myself for this unexpected surprise." Rafril says, whilst idly pulling out his journal and scribbling in "NOTE: Locate Object (Cannons)". "That said, I'll see what I can do".

    After his best attempt to dodge the blast, Rafril gracefully (and yet rather slowly) steps away from Abrayus, opting to examine the damage done to the main mast. Slightly turning around, he points at whomever appeared to be the opposing captain and uttered a small casting of a spell, not more than a cantrip.

    Rafril's familiar likewise attempts to squirm out of the blast whilst bound to him, and exudes a faint white aura when Rafril casts his spell.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rafril REF: (1d20+3)[8]
    Familiar REF: (1d20-1)[3]

    Know. Engineering to identify the mast's damage: (1d20+9)[20]

    Casting Magic Missile at whomever the enemy captain is: (1d4+1)[5] (1d4+1)[2]
    Perception (for the enemy captain): (1d20)[8]
    Know. Local (to determine foreign clothing, looking for the captain): (1d20+9)[24]
    Last edited by Goaty14; 2018-12-29 at 12:03 AM.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show
    Ew, Goaty make stinky homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    Vigo lands gracefully from the swing, weapon in hand, and charges the gunners. Dodging the enemy crew, he beelines for the loaders, aiming a cut at the hands of the crew holding the cannon's rammer.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Acrobatics check if required to move past the enemies without provoking AoOs: (1d20+8)[9]

    Disarm attempt versus the person holding the cannon's rammer: (1d20+8)[13]
    No AoO provoked since I have the Finger Cutter talent from the Duelist sphere
    Due to the Duelist base sphere and the Finger Cutter talent, if the disarm attempt is successful the target takes 2 bleed damage (in addition to dropping the rammer, of course)
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

    Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    Eralia starts to advance somewhat casually, so that she might savor the battle, slashing at the nearest crewmate, hacking her way forward.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Moves to losest target, attacks. Attack roll is (1d20+9)[16] (+1 if target is human (or half elf/half orc))
    Critical (19-20/x3)? (1d20+9)[12]
    Damage (1d8+5)[7] + 6 (Precise Strike, spending Panache point)

    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

    He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

    Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

    Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Home

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    Eralia moves to the closest sailor and cuts the surprised man down mercilessly with a slash to his chest. Vigo rushes towards the gunners to interrupt their work. One of them sees him and lifts a club-like tool to strike, when suddenly all three are covered in a blast of ice. The club-wielder and one other are frozen in place, resembling ice statues, and the third shivers heavily, the extreme coldness restricting her movements. Vigo closes the last bit of distance and takes a swing at her hands, which causes her to drop the rammer with a shriek. She stumbles back clutching her bleeding hand. Bromden lands stylishly next to Vigo, seeing all this go down. In addition to the three gunners, there are around five other sailors just a few steps away, as well as Eralia and a motionless body at her feet.

    “They're boarding! Fight them off!”, shouts an elven woman in a commanding voice on the merchant ship. Following the command the sailors with a weapon in hand run to challenge the intruders, and those without one immediately reach for the closest they can find. Two sailors rush at Eralia, one of them calling her rather unpleasant names for cutting down their crewmate. Another sailor charges at Bromden.

    Spoiler: Sailors attack Eralia and Bromden!
    Show
    At Eralia
    Cutlass: (1d20+5)[15] (charge)
    Damage: (1d6+3)[9]

    Club: (1d20+2)[5]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[6]

    At Bromden
    Quarterstaff: (1d20+6)[22] (charge)
    Damage: (1d6+4)[6]

    Eralia dodges the incoming blows with ease, but Bromden suffers a blow aimed at his stomach.

    At this point, other pirates begin leaping over the gap between the ships and engaging the merchant crew in battle. Five pirates make the jump with no trouble, but one older human man is thrown off balance by the ships' movements and falls screaming into the sea.

    After the initial impact the two ships tried to part again, but ropes tying them together from the middle prevent that and as a result they twist and rock, making the decks, and especially the crossing, unsteady. The merchant ship is smaller, but carries a heavier load than the Gall Seeker, and so they are quite equal in this wrestling match. The First Mate cups his hands and shouts up to the mast, “Piscine! Have the wind stop the ships if you can!”

    Rafril quickly studies the damage done to the mast and concludes that while the outer surface is blackened in places, it is not seriously weakened. Fortunately, neither rigging or sails caught fire. He tries to locate the captain of the merchant ship, but it is difficult in the raging chaos. He spots one woman who is wearing a nice southern jacket and sends magic missiles in her direction, though then he realises that she doesn't have the fancy hat captains are wont to wear.
    Last edited by CWater; 2018-12-30 at 09:13 PM.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

    DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    Piscine hears the command, and turns his hands again so his palms are downwards. He's settled into his rhythm now, the magic flowing through him without problem. A downdraft cuts its way over the two ships, and the sails go slack. That was about the best he could do without killing the breeze entirely, and knowing that they might need it to beat a hasty retreat, he's hesitant to do that. The cannonfire the ship has taken makes him glance downwards, making sure they're not taking on water - but he's pretty sure he'd hear an alarm like that being raised.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Triangle, NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    Bromden makes an undignified sound as the staff connects with his gut.

    "That's just rude," he grunts, "is this how you treat all your guests?"

    Instead of waiting for an answer, he shifts to an aggressive stance and punctuates the question with both blades.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Swift action: Activating Outer Sphere stance. Bromden takes -2 to AC but deals an additional 1d6 damage on a hit. Full attack. (1d20+6)[21](2d6+4)[12]1d20+6[/roll](2d6+2)[12] And I screwed up the roll code on the second attack, so I put a new roll in the OOC, which is a 20. Should hit. **** that guy and his stick!
    Last edited by Rokku; 2018-12-31 at 02:35 AM.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    Asvard begins a long chant, adding careful gestures and holding his staff high, the glow in his eyes pulses in tandem with a glow on the tip of his staff, with a final gesture he swings his staff down, the tip aimed at the elven woman, as he does the glow leaves the tip, streaming towards her.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    That's a frost blast with gather power against the last of the elven woman who gave orders.
    (1d20+7)[12] to hit against touch AC
    for (4d6+5)[27] damage and a DC 16 fortitude save or staggered for one round

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    Eralia licks some of the blood sprayed on her by the crewmate she cut down, and smiles at the two now upon her. She hacks at one, stepping back slightly, preparing for the counter from the other.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Attack on one (1d20+9)[20] (+1 for human, half-elf, or half-orc)
    Crit? (1d20+9)[24]
    Damage (1d8+5)[9] +6 precision (spending a Panache point)
    Takes a 5ft step back (away from the one I did not attack if the other falls)
    Using Opportune Parry and Riposte on next attack against me
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2018-12-31 at 02:25 PM.

    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

    He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

    Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

    Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2015

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    As the cannon blasts out a disc of flame, Tybalt counts himself lucky to be short, for once. He didn't have far to duck.
    They'd be less likely to set their own ship on fire!

    He joins the boarding crew and leaps across the gap. Shame about the guy who fell, but not Tybalt's problem.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show

    Since other sailors are falling, I assume some kind of check is needed? Athletics since it's jumping? (1d20+5)[9]
    Withholding the rest of the post to make sure he didn't fall overboard
    EDIT: Well, depending on the DC, looks like the guy who fell just might be Tybalt's problem. xD
    Last edited by aReallyGreatAxe; 2019-01-01 at 03:36 PM.
    Spoiler: Currently Playing...
    Show


    Isaac Crane, the Silver Sparrow's antimagic gunslinger

    Queen Bouranne
    , ready to defend her doomed city

    Spoiler: Playing in Games on Hiatus...
    Show

    Rowan Mata, healer and annoying little brother

    Tybalt, ship's rat

    Vern, who'll win back his fortune any day now....
    Natasha Polzin, Ascended NPC and Roguebuckler extraordinaire

    Laurel Cascara, who has a cat now. (and it's better than Freya)

    Ilvan Selma , retired Helguard


  24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Home

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    With the wind no longer empowering the sails, the ships should eventually still. For the moment there is still old momentum rocking them, but hopefully that won't last too long. And to trying to counterbalance that movement with new wind seems like a tricky endeavour. Piscine sees nothing alarming when looking down from the nest.

    Bromden's reply to his attacker is a clean stab through the chest, and when the sailor is thus pinned, the pirate finishes him by putting the other sword point through his eye, and the man slumps down to the deck. Eralia swings her falcata at the cutlass-wielder and it cuts deep to his stomach and he falls down as well. Other members of the merchant crew eye the pirates with obvious fear in their eyes.

    The elven woman just barely dodges Asvard's blast, just a bit of frost is caught on the side of her ear.

    Tybalt climbs on the railing to jump over to the other ship, but just at the wrong moment waves rock the ship and he doesn't get all the strength behind the leap as he hoped.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    hannah: Make a Perception check please.

    Axe: You fall just short of the DC. :0 But you can try a Reflex save, DC 20, to grab a hold of the edge of other ship. If that fails, Tybalt uh... falls into the sea.
    (Jumping can usually be either Acrobatics or Athletics, whichever you choose.)

    Giving Goaty14 and rs2excelsor one more day to post before moving forward.
    Last edited by CWater; 2019-01-01 at 04:08 PM.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

    DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2015

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    Just barely managing to keep out of the drink, Tybalt hauls himself up onto the merchant ship. But embarrassment could wait- there were enemies here! No better defense than a good offense. Trying to find a sailor already engaged, he swings his sap towards the fellow's head.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show

    Attempting to flank, if possible.
    Attack: (1d20+6)[17] +2 if flanking
    Critical confirmation, if needed: (1d20+6)[12] +2 if flanking

    Damage: (1d6+1)[2] nonlethal
    Sneak attack damage if flanking or opponent otherwise denied dex bonus: (1d6+1)[5] (the +1 is from sap adept.)

    If it hits intimidate check or, target is shaken for # rounds equal to the damage. If damage is greater than or equal to 4, the target is instead frightened for one round.
    EDIT: Removed because he didn't do anything particularly intimidate-check worthy. Nearly falling off a boat is not frightening (to the other people, at least.)
    Last edited by aReallyGreatAxe; 2019-01-01 at 04:40 PM.
    Spoiler: Currently Playing...
    Show


    Isaac Crane, the Silver Sparrow's antimagic gunslinger

    Queen Bouranne
    , ready to defend her doomed city

    Spoiler: Playing in Games on Hiatus...
    Show

    Rowan Mata, healer and annoying little brother

    Tybalt, ship's rat

    Vern, who'll win back his fortune any day now....
    Natasha Polzin, Ascended NPC and Roguebuckler extraordinaire

    Laurel Cascara, who has a cat now. (and it's better than Freya)

    Ilvan Selma , retired Helguard


  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    Vigo smiles in satisfaction as the gunner stumbles backward clutching her hand, confident she will be out of the fight. He begins to turn to help Bromden, but it seems the man has things well in hand already. He gives his blade a little flourish and looks around at the merchant crew hesitating around them. "Come now!" he calls loudly to the crowd, hopefully loud enough for the elven woman who is apparently in charge to hear. "One at a time or all at once, makes no difference to me!" Quickly sizing up the group, he singles out the largest or most confident opponent and lunges at them. He makes a rapid direct thrust, but suddenly changes the direction of the strike, hopefully catching the crewmember off guard.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Previous post said that the group of sailors were clustered around 5ft away, so I'm working off of the assumption that I could 5ft step into range. If this isn't the case Vigo will drop the feint attempt.

    5ft step to get into range, move action to feint (move instead of standard and no AoO provoked due to the Fast Feint talent).
    Bluff check to feint: (1d20+8)[28]
    If successful, the target loses their dex bonus to AC

    Attack, using the Fatal Thrust ability of the fencing sphere:
    Attack: (1d20+7)[20]
    Damage: (2d4+1)[7]
    If the feint was successful, in addition to lowering the enemy's AC, Vigo will deal an additional (1d6)[5] precision damage, and will apply the Wide Open talent to reduce the target's AC by 2 until the end of Vigo's next turn. Neither effect applies if the feint was unsuccessful.
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

    Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    Eralia, looks over at Vigo. "Always playing with your food. How can one grow if they merely take little nibbles?"

    She then turns her attention back to the other crewmember standing by her and slashes at him in a scything arc.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Takes a 5ft step to close back in to melee distance and makes an attack against the other crewmember that had advanced on her.

    Attack roll (1d20+9)[16] (+1 if human or half-human)
    Crit? (1d20+9)[23]
    Damage (1d8+5)[6] +6 precision (Spend Panache point).

    Seeing as every kill refreshes a Panache point, if the target survives, I should still have 2 pts. I will use opportune Parry and Riposte on the next attack against me.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-01-02 at 12:46 AM.

    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

    He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

    Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

    Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Triangle, NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    Bromden withdraws his blades and lets the body drop to the deck, then steps towards the sailors attacking Eralia.

    "And it's completely inappropriate to crowd a lady like that," he says, blades slicing through the air, "honestly, did your mothers teach you nothing?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure how far Brom has to move. If it's more than 5 feet, he expends Swift Claws, so let me know if I need to mark that off. Anyway, two attacks. (1d20+6)[7](2d6+4)[9](1d20+6)[13](2d6+2)[12]

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Home

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    Tybalt scrambles onto the ship and whacks the closest sailor with his sap, fortunately it happens to be an enemy. The target doesn't fall but yelps and holds his head. Vigo rushes forward and with an excellent faint he stabs another crewman in the shoulder and he loses his balance and falls onto the deck. "M-mercy...", he stutters and holds up his hands.

    The sailor next to Eralia takes another swing at her, before the pirate retaliates and her falcata leaves a deep cut across the woman's chest.

    Spoiler: Attack at Eralia
    Show
    The merchant crew hadn't yet taken their turn, so this attack comes before Eralia's.

    Club: (1d20+2)[8]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[3]


    Bromden runs towards the fight and the sailor jumps back to dodge his swings. However, she looks badly wounded. She throws a desperate glance at the elven woman, who'd shouted orders before and screams, "First Mate Chellage!" The elven woman bites her lip and looks at the scene; she has cut down one of the boarders herself, but otherwise the merchant ship's crew is badly underpowered against the pirates.

    At this time a huge figure jumps over to the merchant ship and lands on the railing with a loud thump. Holding on to a rope for balance, Captain Ironskin swings her heavy flail in a big arc and crashes it to a sailor's head, nearly splitting it in half. Its owner naturally topples down. "Seems like small fish don't do too well against my crew!", the Captain taunts, "Quit this bull**** and surrender, and perhaps we don't need to slaughter every soul onboard!! YOU HAVE ONE CHANCE!!!"

    The elven woman hesitates and looks up to the merchant vessel's quarterdeck, where stands a bearded human man in his fifties, flanked by two armed mercenaries. They have held back a few charging pirates trying to get to the back deck, but not otherwise entered the battle. "Captain?!", the elf shouts the question. The man scratches his beard and lets out a deep sigh. "Yes, I suppose. We surrender!", he replies and the first mate repeats the command across the deck.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

    DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: IC The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

    Well, at least their enemy seemed to have some sense. Piscine allowed the rain to ease, and halted the wind, before leaning over the crow's nest. They'd had a man overboard, and seeing as everyone else seemed to be busy... "I'll find our crewman!" he announces. The undine made sure his trident was secure on his back and allowed himself to topple overboard, dropping into the water like a stone. Once beneath the waves, he feels much more at home, and searches around for their lost crewmate.

    Spoiler: Some rolls
    Show
    Acrobatics to jump into the water - (1d20+8)[11] figure it's probably needed, since he's jumping from the Crow's Nest EDIT: Oof, hopefully the DC was 10.
    Swim Check - (1d20+14)[25] if it's even needed, Piscine has a natural swim speed and can breathe underwater
    Perception - (1d20+4)[14] keeping in mind that he has Deepsight (120 ft. darkvision underwater only) and Water Sense (30 ft. blindsense underwater)
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2019-01-03 at 11:57 PM.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •