New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Question My players want to craft a ONE-USE Memento Magica: How to do so?

As the title sez: the sorcerer in my group of PCs wants to make one-use items so he can sell them easier/quicker. I'm thinkin' just take the cost for the Permanent item and divide by 10?

Ex: a Memento Magica costs 750gp to craft, and sells for 1,500; so a One-use item would be 75gp to craft and 150gp to sell.

Has anyone else run across this before? Does this seem reasonable? Thanks for any help!

thom

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: My players want to craft a ONE-USE Memento Magica: How to do so?

What kind of items? Scrolls? Elixirs? What?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    As the title said: "Memento Magica", but also other possible wondrous items...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A Memento Magica is the spontaneous casting equivalent of a Pearl of Power, so functionally the player wants to make a consumable Wondrous Item that refreshes a spell slot.

A scroll of Mage's Lucubration is probably the closest thing to that - if you assume that effect scales neatly (or want to pretend it does for this purpose, anyways), then you can price it as a scroll of a spell level 1 level higher than the one the item refreshes. That could be appropriate if it has similar usage limitations to scrolls - user must be a spellcaster, must be of appropriate level to cast the 'spell' already, etc.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, it's a little odd that the guide for pricing custom items only touches on single-use items when it comes to spell effects.

Even in core, several single use items exist that don't directly duplicate spell effects exist; would have been nice if that kind of thing was included in the pricing guide. Anyhow...

• Single use, use-activated = spell level × caster level × 50 gp
    • Use-activated or continuous = spell level × caster level × 2,000 gp (variable upon the duration of the spell involved)

If you wanted a very loose and dirty guide, you could just make a single use item = price divided by 40.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

It's 1/day to single use though, not at-will to single use, so divided by 10 (or possibly 8) sounds correct.

Of course if it's only for the purpose of selling them, the price factor doesn't matter much other than getting it low enough to be more widely affordable - he's making the same profit per day regardless of the per-item cost.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2021-10-05 at 07:03 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    It's 1/day to single use though, not at-will to single use, so divided by 10 (or possibly 8) sounds correct.
    Good point:

• Charges per day = Divide by (5 divided by charges per day)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's basically a weird scroll. As such, I would say that 150 GP is probably over-priced.

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Of course if it's only for the purpose of selling them, the price factor doesn't matter much other than getting it low enough to be more widely affordable - he's making the same profit per day regardless of the per-item cost.
    Yeah, the weirdness of 3e item crafting makes the question as-stated mostly irrelevant. Anything you do makes money at the same rate as anything else, and because items sell for half the baseline profit is 0.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RandomPeasant View Post
    Anything you do makes money at the same rate as anything else, and because items sell for half the baseline profit is 0.
    Unless you open your own shop, and then you could theoretically sell items for the same price as other shops. Right?

At least, that's my wizard's current retirement plan.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2021-10-05 at 08:52 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RandomPeasant View Post
    It's basically a weird scroll.
    This. Power-level wise it's on par with a scroll. Slightly more powerful in some ways since it can be any spell that you know and you don't have to deal with the fixed caster level of scrolls. However, it doesn't allow you to bring a stack of rarely-used silver bullets like you can with scrolls.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

But if you’re a shop-owner, and therefore able to sell at full value, you’re also able to buy at half value. So why bother crafting anything yourself? You make just as much money flipping magic items you buy off adventurers as you would selling magic items you craft yourself.

If you’re going to go into business crafting magic items, I’d think you’d aim for having customers commission you to build the specific items they want. Otherwise, you’re throwing money into crafting things that you’re not certain you can sell.

I think the closest thing to a one-use spell-slot refill that exists within the official rules is a Dull Gray Ioun Stone. Page 160 of Expanded Psionics Handbook says a psionic character can use one of those to regain one power point, after which the Stone crumbles to dust. The 3.0 printing of Dungeon Master’s Guide lists a price of 25 gp for a Dull Gray Ioun Stone. Though for some reason, the 3.5 printing is completely silent on that item’s price.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    But if you’re a shop-owner, and therefore able to sell at full value, you’re also able to buy at half value. So why bother crafting anything yourself? You make just as much money flipping magic items you buy off adventurers as you would selling magic items you craft yourself.
    According to the DMGII, magic item stores make just as much money over time as other businesses, simply because of the low volume of trade that occurs in the magic item market. You typically go months or even years without selling anything, then make one big trade and cover all that time without sales.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    According to the DMGII, magic item stores make just as much money over time as other businesses, simply because of the low volume of trade that occurs in the magic item market. You typically go months or even years without selling anything, then make one big trade and cover all that time without sales.
    Just one more reason to run a Howl’s Moving Castle setup, multiple storefronts (but one interior) means higher traffic.
    If all rules are suggestions what happens when I pass the save?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel7284 View Post
    This. Power-level wise it's on par with a scroll. Slightly more powerful in some ways since it can be any spell that you know and you don't have to deal with the fixed caster level of scrolls. However, it doesn't allow you to bring a stack of rarely-used silver bullets like you can with scrolls.
    Yeah, that's kinda the way I'm leaning. TBH, I have zero doubt that the vast majority of such crafted items will be "sold" to the party (at cost). So I'm more concerned about keeping the sorcerer from running away with some super-cheap magic-crafting scheme.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xervous View Post
    Just one more reason to run a Howl’s Moving Castle setup, multiple storefronts (but one interior) means higher traffic.
    Real merchants set up in Sigle.

But back to the topic I think "Cost of a scroll 1 level higher" is exactly right more or less.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

@OP:
    A Memento Magica is effectively a Pearl of Power. Whoever made Sors didn't like them and overcharged them for stuff.

Off-hand, I know of no direct formula to convert the cost of something from being at-will to one use, but let's look at some examples. Let's change the cost of this MM to that of a PoP, or 1000G * spell level * spell level for a once daily reusable item. Remember, this PoP only applies to spells of that level. No using a level 2 PoP to recharge a level 5 spell.

Let's consider the official item the Collar of Perpetual Attendance. It's from a WotC article intended as a joke, but useful enough to be remembered even now. It casts unseen servant (spell level 1) at will at CL1. It costs 2000G to buy or 1000G & 40 EXP to craft. A once-daily version of this collar would cost 1/5, or 400G to buy, or 200G & 8 EXP to craft. A one-use scroll of unseen servant is 25G to buy or 12.5G & 1 EXP to craft, and a one-use potion of this same spell costs 50G to buy or 25G & 1 EXP to craft. This spell has no EXP cost nor expensive material component, which would each increase the price. This gives a sense of scale as to what's RAW.

Let's change these numbers to a level 3 spell. 2000G * 3 * 5 is 30,000G for an at-will item, or 15,000G and 600 EXP to craft. This same item in once daily use form costs 1/5, or 6000G to buy, or 3000G & 120 EXP to craft. This same item in one-use scroll form costs 375G to buy or 187.5G & 7 EXP to craft in potion form. In one-use potion form it costs 750G to buy or 375G & 15 EXP to craft.

When your player said that a once daily item's cost was about 8-10 times that of a usable once only item, he was right, at least based on these calculations. Ultimately, it's your call. What say you?
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Single use, use-activated = spell level × caster level × 50 gp

That is the formula for potions. For wonderous items single use we say it is : Single use, use-activated = spell level × caster level × 75 gp.