New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: The Warlockopedia: A Comprehensive Warlock Handbook

Thanks for writing this, it's adjusted my thoughts on invocations somewhat, and seems a great guide.

Anyhow, I'd like to point out the Ghostly Arms graft from Libris Mortis. It doesn't replace arms, and gives you ghost arms, 1 per 6000gp (3000 if you craft them), double for a set of hands, and this gives you an extra invocation if you have multitasking (Also, you're the only other person I know who actually noticed this for their guide, so grats!). The net effect is that you just dismantle the action economy 12000gp at a time... Too bad you can't use Flee the Scene to move and shoot due to it being a dimension door effect.

Also something I'm not sure you noticed, with some invocations being CL based it's worth taking a look at Elder Giant Magic if you go the giant route. Up to +3 CL, albeit at the cost of 3 relatively easy concentration checks (At the level it's available) and 3 full round actions. So if you can set up an ambush or something big with a CL effect, go nuts. But probably better in games where you can get homebrew to actually access more cl based invocations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I'm not feeling conquery.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    Anyhow, I'd like to point out the Ghostly Arms graft from Libris Mortis. It doesn't replace arms, and gives you ghost arms, 1 per 6000gp (3000 if you craft them), double for a set of hands, and this gives you an extra invocation if you have multitasking (Also, you're the only other person I know who actually noticed this for their guide, so grats!). The net effect is that you just dismantle the action economy 12000gp at a time... Too bad you can't use Flee the Scene to move and shoot due to it being a dimension door effect.
    I feel like if you don't think arm grafts have to replace existing arms, there are better arm grafts available. Long Arm and Mighty Arms are both cheaper, for example.

Also something I'm not sure you noticed, with some invocations being CL based it's worth taking a look at Elder Giant Magic if you go the giant route. Up to +3 CL, albeit at the cost of 3 relatively easy concentration checks (At the level it's available) and 3 full round actions. So if you can set up an ambush or something big with a CL effect, go nuts. But probably better in games where you can get homebrew to actually access more cl based invocations.
    But it's only for giants, and only outside of combat. It basically only works with the dead walk, right?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    I feel like if you don't think arm grafts have to replace existing arms, there are better arm grafts available. Long Arm and Mighty Arms are both cheaper, for example.
    1: Ghost arms would need to mention replacement as they're incorporeal.
    2: Sources for those?

ut it's only for giants, and only outside of combat. It basically only works with the dead walk, right?
    Flee the Scene, Nightmares made Real, and the Scorching Wind (With draconic) also off the top of my head, which is why I brought it up as being better in homebrew games.

Additionally it boosts the cl of your 24 hour buffs, giving you some dispell protection, and lets you take 23 on out of combat dispells.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I'm not feeling conquery.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

1: Ghost arms would need to mention replacement as they're incorporeal.
    Would they, though? If you can graft on an extra ghost arm, why wouldn't you be able to graft on an extra non-ghost arm?

2: Sources for those?
    I'm on mobile atm, but they're in the item spreadsheet somewhere or other.

Flee the Scene, Nightmares made Real, and the Scorching Wind (With draconic) also off the top of my head, which is why I brought it up as being better in homebrew games.

Additionally it boosts the cl of your 24 hour buffs, giving you some dispell protection, and lets you take 23 on out of combat dispells.
    +3 CL to dispels isn't the same as taking 23 because you still run into the CL cap. The others seem pretty niche. I'm not convinced. I could add it anyway, I guess, but it seems questionable.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Updated with a new sample build for eldritch theurge! I've been working on a similar warmage handbook, so I got to incorporate some of that optimization-fu into this build.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

Updated with a new sample build for eldritch theurge! I've been working on a similar warmage handbook, so I got to incorporate some of that optimization-fu into this build.
    I could have sworn that I had the link for the warmage handbook, but I can't find it now.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by redking View Post
    I could have sworn that I had the link for the warmage handbook, but I can't find it now.
    It was in this thread.
    Last edited by Kalkra; 2020-05-04 at 02:33 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Regarding Craft Wondrous Item in the Theurge Example, it might be worthwhile to mention the option of the DMG II bonding rituals as an alternative means to acquire the Chausible within WBL restrictions. Ritual of Purity is accessible with a mere 6 ranks in concentration and all it requires is 2 weeks of fasting/meditation, for example.

You're already cheesing the ET prerequesites, so one use of a questionably balanced DMG II character options to save a feat seems reasonable enough I'd say.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jowgen View Post
    Regarding Craft Wondrous Item in the Theurge Example, it might be worthwhile to mention the option of the DMG II bonding rituals as an alternative means to acquire the Chausible within WBL restrictions. Ritual of Purity is accessible with a mere 6 ranks in concentration and all it requires is 2 weeks of fasting/meditation, for example.

You're already cheesing the ET prerequesites, so one use of a questionably balanced DMG II character options to save a feat seems reasonable enough I'd say.
    Good point. Added.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post
    It was in this thread.
    Much thanks.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Metamagic Mod: thread opened upon request. Reminder to everyone that there are no exemptions from the Thread Necromancy rules for build guides or optimization guides. If you wish to post to such a thread after the 45 day mark, please PM the appropriate Moderator to request permission.
    Last edited by truemane; 2020-05-07 at 07:35 AM.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you.

Now that I have a second mega-handbook in the works, I'm working on an even more generalized, even more comprehensive item spreadsheet. At some point I expect I'll retire the warlock-specific one. It's still a work in progress though, so any feedback on it would be welcome! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

So, I was looking at the arachnolock build and it uses the vulkoori arachnomancer, do you know what book that's from or where I can find the class

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Necromancy.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2