New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

Kyorlin

Ignores the voice in his head and goes back to the cell with the religious men and murders them savagely
    Spoiler: combat
    Show
    attack1(1d20+11)[20]attack1cc(1d20+11)[14]
    damage1(2d6+7)[13]extracrit additional damage(2d6+7)[15]

round 2 attack1(1d20+11)[18]attack1cc(1d20+11)[31]
    damage1(2d6+7)[12]extracrit additional damage(2d6)[10]
    attack2(1d20+11)[17]attack2cc(1d20+11)[23]damage2(2d6+7)[16]extracrit additional damage(2d6)[7]
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2019-07-07 at 08:23 PM.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"It came up, one of the Oni from the attack was apparently a shapeshifter apparently a convincing one before it showed it's tainted self. If I remember what the Guard-Captain said correctly. Apparently the Oni are getting better at shapeshifting, able to pass for humans. I don't think they have much to do with beast-men, but I am not an expert."

At the question of which merchant family he servers, Erus breaks out into a wild smile:
    "I was brought here by fate, and while I am not affiliated with any of the houses I am not a true merchant after all. I have a strong grounding in leadership, through personality or wits. I also used to dabble in the White Raven discipline, but was only able to get to the 3rd Dan. I keep up on martial lore though, useful for identifying martial adepts and such."
    Chuckling slightly he looks the Sergeant in the eye and mirthfully asks: "Can you believe everybody just assumed I was a merchant because I don't carry around a sword?"

3. - Top - End - #393
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Peace, purpose, and the sea's serenity once more pervade Donovan's being as he rouses from his trance. There was ever more to be done; but with the unexpected escalation of Yhrashnal's vengeance and his subsequent loss, guidance was important.

The plot of this grand being to which he'd become party was still largely a mystery. But he had merited at least some consideration from it, whereas it seemed all others were eager to destroy him and disregard the ocean's truth entirely. It was very much worthwhile to find some point of contact with it, or with those who knew its agenda. Perhaps by some opportunity it could be convinced. By any measure the harmonious secrets of the sea had remained constrained to only his own understanding for far too long.

He regards the wooden beads which Kyorlin had gifted him, not particularly sure how to proceed and unaware of the fate which the devil he sought to contact had met.
    "... Tun?"

4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground

Kyuden Gotei SW - somewhere near the Bay
    Donovan has called to the creature before without any answer. And yet hope springs eternal. The Drowned gets a feeling from the beads, a sensation in his mind that somehow he knows is from the necklace he now holds: A ship, struck by magical lightning, explodes into flames; hundreds of people struggle for their lives and yet, for each person that does not perish while clinging to burning wood, is hit, too, by terrible bolts of light. The ship's two halves, burning and smoldering, groan, crack, and fall into the great depths of the ocean. A barrel here and there, charred and some leaking the contents of what they should contain, float upon the uncaring ocean that soon returns to a natural and unpredictable state.

Donovan feels the sense of loss coming from the necklace and in his mind's eye he feels the depth of the ship's two halves. He feels the ever-increasing weight they bear, an aquan sentence of timeless seclusion to which they both drift. Little joy can be felt by the wood of this once-great ship except at the eventual zenith of their descent. There, at the ocean's floor, the two halves will eventually bear new life and become new features for moss and worms and creatures that seek to know and explore every inch of their zones. But these are small joys without light; the only hope for future glory lies in the realm of gross improbability or the slow change of the place on the earth with least entropy.

His deep ruminations distract so much of Donovan's mind that he barely registers the shimmer of the bay in the afternoon sun, or the slow trek of the astral orb as it dries his waterlogged flesh to its damp--but disguised--texture, or the wash of the waves on its shore. Nor does he notice the birds in the sky as they shift their songs to transition into the evening. Finally, Donovan finds his mind drawn back into the present by the movements of a creature that rises from a mass of dried seaweed; flies scatter from their digestive focus and swarm in the air until they can once again settle on their chosen meal. What strikes Donovan about this creature is the subtle cold-and-hot twist in his mind as he watches it step from the seaweed as if it's only a doorway, and somehow--in that moment of emergence--reality bends to allow its outwards motion and its next step be on level ground. These things--the mental tingle and the warping of reality--bring him back into the present.

It watches him; it is human-sized, but smells faintly of the same magical trickery that Specimen did, that of strong and compulsory illusion that also does not work on Donovan. The human looks genderless, if that's possible, with no hair on its body, and instead of eyebrows has pit-like scars. Its body bears many tattoos, and though it is naked, lacks any sort of gentle tissues. The other clue it is not human are its brick-red eyes. It speaks with a tone that makes Donovan think of acid and blood. Tun has been murdered. I possess his contracts now, but... the humanoid sucks inwards as if it were enjoying a sip of wine and were about to taste its terroir. Why don't you tell my why...Kyorlin gave you that necklace? It considers this for only a brief moment before it continues, "You don't need to be protected like he does, do you? I suppose HE understands little of the risk he poses to himself and while you clutch its hidden treasure, he is vulnerable.

Interesting. You take it from him before you travel, and you can be assured that his quick demise the moment you reach a place full of shugenja, but his death will not be on your hands. You'll be just as shocked as your other companions, but you can keep that faraway detachment to hide your emotion. I commend you on your cunning.
    With this it smiles and examines its fingernails and shifts its feet among the rocks and stone it stands upon.

Kyuden Gotei - holding cells near SW docks
    Kyorlin unleashes a flurry of attacks upon the first man he can reach. The terrible voice in his head becomes forgotten as he rakes his claws through the man's weak flesh and bones, and perhaps because of the pain in his mind, he realizes a little later than he needs to that the body he's wrecking has boiling-hot blood. Even as he savages it, the man's eyes bleed. The other "broken" man, too, starts leaking blood from his eyes, then his nose and ears, and soon the eyes *pop* and burst. Kyorlin shakes himself of the terrible voice as he begins to smell what's suspiciously like pork--their flesh beginning to cook--and he stumbles backwards to avoid the brunt of the second man's body in a blood-boiling explosion that rips through the jail.

Spoiler: Explosion!!
    Show

Kyorlin gets a
    Spoiler: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=24018000&postcount=1278
    Show
    12 then 26 on reflex
    ; second succeeds.

He takes (3d6)[13] fire and (3d6)[12] profane damage from the first body.

He takes 1/2 of: (3d6)[12] fire and (3d6)[13] profane damage from the second body.

Kyuden Gotei E - Main Barracks
    Erus hears some hushed voices from outside Sergeant Toshika's room, though strain his ears as he will, he doesn't hear its content before Toshika speaks. "Our Sensei always told us, 'My second-most humiliating fight was at the hands of a peasant farmer who knew how to use a quarterstaff.' ...It's not outside the realm of possibility you're more dangerous than you look. A merchant who claims to "have arrived here out of luck," and who pretends to be ignorant of current events, even take up a sergeant's time... the man stands up and bows. "I give thanks for the information. This kindness will be remembered.

With an air of dismissal, the sergeant drains the cup of tea he has and stands up from his kneeling position. He walks over to the door and opens it. Outside, Guard-Captain Toro wears a grim expression. He scans the opened door, and looks at the Sergeant. <<You have something to report, officer?>>

"Yes, replies Sergeant Toshika. "This so-called merchant revealed to me he's a third-dan of the White Dove school." His re-naming of "raven" to "dove" seems intentional rather than a mistake. "He is no simple merchant. I suspect him of being a Crane-Clan spy."

Guard-Captain Toro's eyes tighten and his mouth constricts. <<That's a serious accusation, Sergeant. You'll need more evidence.>>

"Captain! He pretended to be ignorant of this city's events and then revealed a private conversation to me when given space! He's trying to play us!"

<<Thank you Sergeant. Merchant Erasmus, is this true? Did you discuss our conversation with an officer of an inferior rank to myself?>>

The Sergeant visibly controls his face but his hands tighten into fist and around the cup he still grips. They both wait.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2019-07-27 at 07:03 AM.
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    Playing Thorn in Knee Breakers

more

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

With a smile that doesn't seem to reach his eyes, Erus looks at the Guard-Captain and takes another drink for his tea before answering:
    "Hail Guard-Captain. I'm afraid I don't hold any level of Dan in the White Dove, I do however hold a technical third-dan in the Devoted Spirit. Keeping soldiers alive is ever so useful."

Shaking his head he continues talking:
    "I am afraid your subordinate speaks the truth, I am not sure he quite explained what transpired. I went to the docks to talk to an acquaintance, and when I returned to the gates I asked the guards more about the earlier incident, I was politely arrested. When said people start asking questions they themselves say they shouldn't be asking, 'no' is the answer that gets you beaten or worse..."
    Trailing off he takes another sip from the cup, emptying it out.

Seemingly non-plussed he smiles at the Sergeant:
    "Lovely tea, might I bother you for another cup?"

Spoiler: Rolls?
    Show
    I think diplomacy fits?
    To convince them that he was indeed asking the same questions of the guards as he did the guard-captain, but an hour later and that he was trying to keep his own hide safe.

(1d20+21)[24]

Bluff for any small discrepancies in his story that I missed or forget. (1d20+21)[29]

6. - Top - End - #396
    Troll in the Playground

Guard-captain Toro quickly speaks before the Sergeant has another word. <<Thank you Sergeant. Please write me an incident report, have it sent to my desk, and then resume your duties.>>

The Sergeant bows low until Toro motions for Erus to follow him. Without waiting for the officer to leave, he tells Erus, <<The Sergeant means well, and he desires nothing but to keep the citizens safe. The Crane...care very much about politics. For most of them, every sentence spoken offers many meanings, and they leave you to decide and act accordingly. You speak earnestly and without intent to dissemble. Still... the captain stops and gives Erus a hard look. "Please keep our conversation private so that any misunderstandings can be avoided.>>

He gives Erus some time to interject and reply.

When you reach the gates, he salutes the guards. <<This man is to stay at the Maiden's Tickle tonight. Merchant Erasmus, tell the lady in charge that 'Guard-captain Toro' sent you there on my tab.>> The soldiers nod and betray no emotion, but let Erasmus pass into the Western half of the city. The day is well past noon, now, and the only noise left in the city comes from its Eastern half, where most of the citizens pack up their wares much earlier than desired and prepare to return home.

more

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Waving at the Sergeant leaving, Erus once more smiles at Guard-Captain Toro as he explains.
    Answering in the pause, Erus's smile once again reaches his eyes: "It seems like you need to speak more with your subordinates, they are quite desperate for any information it would seem. I will do my best to keep them private, but I will not throw lives away over it."

As they near the gates, Erus leans in and whispers: "If one squints, you would be the infiltrator, careful about that friend Toro." As he finishes he steps back and bows respectfully, giving the Guard-Captain a warm smile: "Your hospitality will be remembered."

Taking out a small bottle of slushy liquor, half full, he hands it to Toro: "A small token of thanks, blessing upon you friend."

Pausing for a few moments to let Guard-Captain Toro reply, Erus sets off to find the Maiden's Tickle, his mood great from a lively day.

8. - Top - End - #398

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Drenched in ichor uncharacteristically shakes for a few second as a canine might similarly do, flinging the filth that is still steaming to his sides showering the back of the cell and out the door. Regaining his composure, taking his googles off he wipes the resdue from his face. His red eyes practically glowing he snaps his gaze back to the previous criminal, Mr. Oano
    Spoiler: intimation
    Show
    red eyed glare(1d20+13)[20]

Don't you hate it when that happens? Alright my temper is a little high right now but i want you to admit to murdering these two, then I'll leave you be.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Troll in the Playground

At the parting whisper Guard-Captain Toro pauses a moment and then dismisses it as he politely sidesteps the offer. <<Next time you're here in Kyuden Gotei, send a messenger and I'll invite you to the officer's lounge, and you can bring us alcohol to enjoy. We'll regale each other with stories of our trials since this parting. It's been a pleasure being of service and showing you the city, good Merchant.>> He doesn't bother to explain that should a captain be seen even considering an item of alcohol it could bring him trouble.

Smiling warmly Erus nods and accepts the offer. Bristling internally at the rejection of his offer, he lets go part of his internal feelings show.

Toro turns around and then, as if a bolt of lightning had struck him he mumbles, <<If one squints, you would be the infiltrator...>> He walks away as only a person deep in thought can, leaving Erus on the other side of the gate and also to his own thoughts.

Kyuden Gotei - W

The Military side of Kyuden Gotei -- the West Side -- is relatively quiet now that the cleaning has been done. He passes by the Dignitary building, and there's quite a few lights on, and the soft sounds of quiet conversation. They hadn't been there before, and as Erus passes into The Maiden's Tickle, he also spots the high mast of a ship harbored at the docks. There's a good deal of commotion from The Maiden's Tickle, and yet, as Erus is about to enter, he hears a sickening, wet explosion coming from somewhere near the docks, and the smell of pork.

Holding cells near SW docks

Mr. Oano looks fretfully at Kyorlin. "You....you will let me go, and do me no physical harm? I don't need to take one of those documents, do I? Because if I do, no deal. Otherwise, only if I'm asked I'll say that...that I killed them out of self-defense! Which is what I would have done! They were poking into my mind!"

more

10. - Top - End - #400

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Of course not if you confess to this as i hold this crystal to you, i promise to not give you a paper and to let you be. holds the crystal out through the bars of Mr. Oano cell.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sure is busy today. Erus thinks to himself before entering The Maiden's Tickle determined to get the sign-in over with before investigating the explosion.

12. - Top - End - #402

ElfMonkGuy

It takes a time for Donovan to even realize where he is, having been so thoroughly lost in thought. Still, he outwardly betrays little of his disorientation. As always he keeps the ocean's rhythm with him in a slow, subtle, almost drunken swaying motion. It was very much a part of his nature, but so too could the ocean's influence be found in all living things. They were in tune with its workings in smaller, more nuanced ways, even if they were ignorant of such simple profundities.

This creature before him was not so attuned, and likely never had been. This unsettles the drowned man more than its unnatural emergence or any incongruity of appearance. He takes a few moments to carefully process the creature's words before replying...

"I sought a way to learn of the 'Voice' and of its will. I would aid it as it has aided me..."
    Donovan examines the creature for a reaction. If Tun was dead, could this creature still be considered a speaker for this 'Voice'?

"... I was told that with this item I could contact one of its ambassadors, and it was given to me solely for that reason."

The dead man gives no further response to the creature's comments on Kyorlin's safety, nor its assumptions of his own motives. Donovan had been told by the very same voice-called to expect no loyalty, though at the same time the gifting of this item, if it was not some elaborate trick, could be seen as nothing but a favor for him. Particularly if it left the elf-thing in personal danger.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Sense Motive: Does this creature in fact represent the Voice in a meaningful capacity?
    (1d20+11)[15]

13. - Top - End - #403
    Troll in the Playground

Kyuden Gotei SW - Holding cells near docks

Mr. Oano nods, signaling his consent, and begins to talk, but the crystal that Kyorlin has used seems to have its own idea of what to draw from him. As he talks it spins, escapes Kyorlin's grip, and it pulls away translucent silver threads from his head as he continues his tale. He watches, curious of what it's doing, shudders and continues his tale. He doesn't stop, however at his most recent misdeed; He moves quickly to other misdeeds he's done, and very soon, Mr. Oano's given a long list of misdeeds and misbehavior. He seems beyond reproach in these stories, as if the room and Kyorlin's promise of freedom will save him.

His stories have a common trait to them: because he's a far-reaching man who employs many people and families, he's OK. His methods to use money from the royals to ease diplomacy--or to find faster friends among even merchants beyond the borders of the country--also necessitate any "hush money" to avoid punishment from the minor nobles meant to keep the borders secure. "If I was noble, what I'd do could be justified. But because I don't have a Yoritomo in my family, what I do is a crime?!? It's silly." What he does straddles the line of justified or not, but it's not harming anyone directly.

The crystal returns to Kyorlin's hand, its silvery threads of--likley thought-memories--now disappeared into its depths.

"And no goods I've ever imported have led to the awful accidents we're seeing in this country now. Speaking of, have you heard, Magistrate, of the Black Jade ships? It's all very hush-hush. A series of ships that were supposed to go to the Noble Capitol instead disappeared? I'll bet you every jewel in the princess' crown that those crewmembers got a better offer to bring their rocks elsewhere. The nobles don't share their wealth with those below them, and it's now cost them greatly. A colossal mistake, if you get what I mean."

Mr. Oano stands to leave. "Well that was strange, but I'm glad I haven't been harmed. Until we meet again, Magistrate?"

Kyuden Gotei SW - Maiden's Tickle
    The Maiden's Tickle has a vibrancy about it from the moment he opens the door. He's greeted by the intermingling scents of incense, spiced wines, and the traces of intimiate pleasures from the far-back rooms of the place. There's four tables of soldiers and guards-people, all discussing their lives and the current events, and well-dressed women, all bedazzled in makeup, attend them periodically; a few, given the right monetary incentives, might give solo entertainment, but not necessarily of the sexual kind. Finally two musicians make relaxing music that sets the tavern into a mood of relaxed but exciting conversation.

At a table far from the entrance, six figures talk: Five men that all have similar looks and a modestly-dressed lady. Two of the older-looking men give advice to the others that ask questions and listen, and all nurse their wines and eat their foods, careful to have enough to seem appreciative, but not so much that they're going to need further refreshments.

A serving lady behind the bar-area welcomes Erus into the establishment with a sibilant arm wave and a decent smile. "Come over and have something to drink! We have fresh-made and warm wine!"

"You have contacted the right one. I am Orusc, and I would count Tun as a...cousin. But I could set you into a mindset to talk with the Voice. Have you completed a task, or have you yet to gain one?

more

14. - Top - End - #404

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Alright, thanks for your help. makes sure the cell is still locked and sees if there are any other criminals in cells.

In the future you may want to listen better, I am letting you be. Is too bad you be in a cell. checking his list of criminals and their charges.
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2019-07-12 at 09:19 PM.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As he smiles a bit forlornly Erus answers the serving lady: "Today sure is eventful, I just heard an explosion before coming in here. Some warm wine would be delightful please. Ah, and I was sent here by Guard-Captain Toro, and you are to put my stay on his tab, please."

16. - Top - End - #406
    Troll in the Playground

Kyuden Gotei SW - Holding cells near docks

Kyorlin again checks his ledger.
    Cell #9 has Kyorlin's first victim.
    The brothers of #8 were given pardons and released.
    Cell #6 has one dead lady, and her sister Ebin was released & pardoned.
    The two men that were in #1 coat the entirety of the cell block with their blood, bones, and gore.
    Only cell #4 has others; Mr. Togi looks dumbfounded at this social about-face, but understanding dawns on him as Mr. Oano objects loudly. He calmly explains to Oano, "He was never going to release you. He'd said, "i promise to not give you a paper and to let you be," and you believed it meant that you'll be let on your way. Kyorlin watches them sink into their beliefs of despair and understand there's little left for them to do.

Spoiler: Ledger
    Show

Cl #1 - (2) names unknown; indecent public worship, unacceptable godly wrath - Disturbing public peace
    Cl#4 - Kitsue Oano; Grand Theft & bribery | Okawa Togi; attempted treason & believes failure forgives intent. Guilty.
    Cl #6 - Yohokama Samora; Theft & treason |Yohokama Ebin; Arson, & treason, murder of kin

Cl #8 - Brothers (5) Hugama; Money-laundering, bribery, fraud, insolvency

Cl #9 - Ohawahiga, Shoto; Sodomy, rape, forgery & deception

The lady nods and gives a smile as she pours him some wine. "I'm not certain explosions are abnormal right here. There's a holding cell by the docks, and prisoners are executed by soldiers in need of weapons practice. Sometimes it's a Shugenja. How is the old man, anyways? Still intimidating the soldiers?" She hands him a very nice and decorative cup, one that depicts a many-tailed fox and and an iriomote leopard in a forest clearing.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2019-07-13 at 03:18 PM.

more

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lightening up a bit at the explosion probably only being an execution, Erus returns the smile.
    "He seemed in good health, if with a heavy burden and his soldiers only seemed respectful. So I would wager a sound yes to your question."
    He laughs as he takes a drink from the cup.
    "I had planned on going to the kabuki theater, but with it being closed I find myself with time to spare. Do you have any recommendations, Miss..?"

18. - Top - End - #408

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

ah Mr. Togi, you understand I am sure that if he is found without a pardon they will question who let him out. I apologize for your conditions here, having such hostile mental environment must have been hard. Would you like a deal from me?

19. - Top - End - #409

ElfMonkGuy

Donovan regards this creature, "Orusc", suspiciously. Yet its narrative matches well with what little he knows of things.

"I have not heard the Voice. Yet I am told that I have been called by it, and its allies have aided me accordingly. It is perhaps due to my... nature, that I have not heard it.
    This arrangement has been beneficial for me. But I assume that more is desired than my own gain.
    "

20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground

The lady joins in Erus' laugh. "Miss Ebin. Many of the ladies here will dance or tell stories, or play music. Or join them, and see if they can follow along with your own musical numbers!"

Indeed, the place has life and vim of its own, with sailor-soldier patrons and the women that entertain them, and even a few of the female sailors, along for a drink with their crews, engage the ladies of the place in conversation or exchange. After it's pointed out, Erus realizes that, yes, the many women of the place actually help some the sailors out with chart-plotting or the like; At least in the afternoons, this place has become more like a place for people to enjoy a drink and be entertained before they leave for an assignment.

Kyuden Gotei SW - Holding cells near the docks.
    The two men shake their heads. Mr. Togi says, "You'll either decide to release us or kill us. I'd rather be alone with my thoughts until I must die." With that he turns silent and withdrawn, even to future conversation.

Orusc continues Donovan's thoughts. The Voice brings us all here to grow, to live, and to challenge the Rokugani. This city houses many warriors, though, beyond our scope and skill. They wrap their powers and responsibilities around themselves like a blanket to ward off the hunger they can't quite feel.

There's a reason the Voice can't reach you here, an influence that lingers like an ink stain on cotton. You've see-
    Orusc stops talking as if he were choked. He shakes his head, clears his throat, and tries again to speak.

Now... His eyes light up. Perhaps you wish to discuss what we can do for each other? I can transform the flesh and form of beasts and...influential figures, people with great power, and craft you... leather goods with reasonable powers. Should you slay, or perhaps have the bodies of such beings, I can work you a deal. Some power for you, some for me.

more

21. - Top - End - #411

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

I hate to disagree with you but Mr. Oano here is proof to the contrary of your claims. But I shall not pass judgement on you, to further my evidence to falsify your assumption.
    Good bye.

Kyorlin picks up the left over torture supplies including the block and tackle he never got to use. He makes his way back to the dignitaries quarters. Checks on his present he left for his fallen void called the seal that he left on the letter to the rest.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Troll in the Playground

When Kyorlin arrives, the servants bow and scrape instead of letting him into the room. They apologize profusely, and urge him to have a bath. "Your eminence, your...colorful appearance is concerning, but we understand. It seems you had some practice with spells, very good. Earlier one of your guests, the quiet one, came here and left along with a letter and a necklace from your room. We..also moved your quarters to the third floor. It's the one on the left from the top of the stairs." The servant lingers, continuing..."We also noticed the several items that you'd requested earlier outside. If you'd show us what items you wish to keep, we'll bring them up to your new quarters."
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2019-07-21 at 04:45 PM.

more

23. - Top - End - #413

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Looks confused at the servant I handed the necklace to him so i know this. I would like to know the meaning of this, I assume those were the designated quarters for dignitaries and know you are moving me somewhere else? Also this outfit is one of a set i picked up in my earliar
    travels so they should look different but similar in color palette that your comment on my clothes seems odd.
    Spoiler: skills
    Show
    intimidation(1d20+13)[24] sense motive(1d20+10)[22] using luck roll
    Gather information(1d20+3)[7]

24. - Top - End - #414
    Troll in the Playground

The servant obscures a deep fear of reprisal for a mistake made by another; although their head beads sweat and their muscles are a little tensed, he calmly speaks: "Ah, a young one's misunderstanding that we unfortunately followed. We only ask the servants of dignitaries and magistrates to stay on the first floor..." He bows deeply, "Yes, the colors of this outfit Kyorlin wears is covered in blood. It looks ruined, but if we know original colors to prevent mistakes, we can tailor a few outfits to you without much issue. Hmm...charcoal and white trim, is that about right?"

more

25. - Top - End - #415

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Glares down at the servant I must retrieve something I left in the room, its highly confidential and if the wrong people found it would lead to many deaths. Before we head there I would like to see where potential threats may sneak in to this building, secret exits and rubbish removal points. If you are not privied to the secret or emergency exits I will you have me taken to one that is.

These clothes are likely ruined if you wouldn't mind reproducing it those colors you mentioned that would be lovely. But I must do my tasks first so lead swifty or i shall disrobe here and now.
    holds his clothes as if ready to tear them feom his person.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Observing the inn with his now ice cold wine, Erus languidly drapes himself over a chair.
    Waiting for his presence to matter, as he slips into his fey nature he cease moving through time and instead moves with fate, being forgotten until it is again time to be part of reality.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Tavern Layout
    Show

Erus sips chilled wine
    Warm soldiers drink, sing, game, plan
    He waits for a wish...

Sibilant music above
    Strings pluck, voices drift down
    Glasses clink to rhythm

Mixed tiles shuffle
    A sharp indoor rain
    with the chink of coins

Serving ladies sway,
    Serve steaming food, saké--
    Itedakimas!

Whispered stories wait
    Until they have needed space
    Excitement resumes

Sailors map at booths,
    Ladies give course corrections
    Scrape of pens and chalk

Erus feels the people play out the scenes of their lives here, but there's little of the great sway of fate here. People are comfortable, mostly, and it also feels...cleansed of misfortune. It's an odd feeling, perhaps, until he hears those words.

"I wish we knew where that damn ship went."

more

28. - Top - End - #418
    Troll in the Playground

The lady whom is at the table plies the man for more. "...Let's say we did know. Where might we find the ship?"
    "If it's down at the bottom of the ocean, it would take some time, but the effort and the costs by our Shugenja would be worth it. Unless we knew where the jade was, it'd take several years to find."
    "Let's say it's *not* at the bottom of the ocean, then"
    "Our government has a strict containment policy about this land. We don't let foreigners in, and we deal with the corruption of Fu-Leng. It makes our task as Mantis all the more difficult, then, to trade or even sail the open seas looking for a ship."
    "But if you knew where the whip was?"
    "If we really knew, actually knew where that damn crew, Oh curse my silence! the man tightens a fist and almost hits the table, but does not. "I could tell those crew were undisciplined brigands, but I stayed silent. The man fumes until the song ends and only nurses his ale. The others give him silence, and a few go back to the bar for some snacks.

This long table at the booth has scattered maps that span much of the edges of Rokugan and show several places beyond its borders. As another song starts, the lady that had been there and the other younger man there return. He continues, "At the very least we could talk to another nation that's received the jade, but that would be least ideal.

The younger man pipes up, "And the scholars we'd tasked to find prophecies of this turned up nothing. It was a waste of resources!"
    "Well...that's mostly true. The only thing we found was a reference to a "Dark Voice," that had contacted Hengeyokai.
    "Well, what was it?"
    "That's just it. The Fox Clan won't talk with us, and the Crane want major concessions to 'give us what we know'
    The lady finishes his thought for him: "...and Lord Yoritomo counts on you to find them. But with the fourth fleet destroyed, your resources are almost gone."
    "Like I said, I wish I knew where that damn ship was.

more

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Walking up to the table, Erus waits for a lull in the conversation before approaching the table.
    "I could not help but overhear your troubles and believe myself to be in possession of an item that would help you locate the Amagimaru."

At this point he takes out two things from his pocket; a newly plucked pristine white lily and a highly ornate compass with a single needle inscribed with the name 'Amagimaru' spinning slowly.
    "This compass points towards the ship, aided by the purity of purpose and flower."

Putting both on the table, Erus looks at them and smiles:
    "I will of course need something in return, the name of each crew-member's firstborn is the price for the compass. Feel free to inspect the compass before giving your answer, I will await your decision."
    At this he stands back, smiling.
    Last edited by Tjallen; 2019-07-19 at 05:46 PM.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Troll in the Playground

Kyuden Gotei SW - Dignitary Quarters

"Y-yes, sir, right away!" The servant enters the room that had been Kyorlin's, and there's several voices and a few quick words. The servant steps out and opens the door to Kyorlin. Very little of the room has been disturbed; there are a few pieces of clothes for each person arranged by the blank wall, folded nicely, and on a small table by the room's inner wall to the left of the door perch many documents and forms. Otherwise, even the small clothing drawer seems untouched in the room, and he's able to find what he needs.

Once he's done with his older room, Kyorlin finds himself quickly ushered into the nearby bathing room by eager servants, where he's given excellent tea and cakes to enjoy while disrobes. They present the charcoal-and-white silk garments for him, and once they've made sure he'll have what colors suit him best, they leave him to be.

Kyorlin soaks in a large bath that's been conjured (already hot) by an in-house Shugenja. In the entrance-room to the private bath finds an entire wardrobe of fine silk garments, with nearly every imaginable color he can think of. There are also many various scents and parfums to choose from. Certainly, this time, they've pulled out the stops to pamper him.

When he finally emerges from the bath, he sees a servant waiting for him.

The two men and the lady pause and look up from the table. They size Erus up and she observes, "You're a foreigner. Please tell us, how do you know of an...important secret?"

Smiling disarmingly Erus indicates the compass needle and the inscription upon it:
    "The compass beckons for those who would use it; I simply took it to where it needs to be"

The older man looks at him and holds the compass. The needle swivels and points unceasingly in a Westerly direction. He looks at Erus and asks, "How do we know this isn't a trick? Why do you own this compass?"

Pointing towards the needle: "Do you not feel the alignment of its purpose and your own? The fate of the compass is to lead to the Amigamaru; it's yearning lead me to to you."

He nods his head and passes it to the younger man. "You feel it. boy? It pulls to our purpose. It knows we want to find our lost ship."
    "Y-yes, I feel it!"
    "Forigner..."
    "Erasmus Bjerg."
    "We must take the time to consider your offer and gather a crew."
    The lady speaks up. "What happens if some of the crew members don't have children?

"I will part with the compass, if you give me your word that the names will be given when I or mine comes for my due. Should any crew member die childless, their debt will be forgiven. I do not want to take food from the starving."

He nods and adjusts the belts at his waist. He undoes one of them, and it holds a quiver full of arrows."I cannot make that decision for the others of my crew; it is better to ask them in person. This quiver has served the archer-warriors of my family for over 300 years. It represents tradition and reliability. The arrows we all make ourselves. I'll be back for them." He hands the quiver to Erus.

Tilting his head slightly, Erus elaborates: "That is reasonable. However, you understand that I am asking for payment for this loan, not for a guarantee you will come back, yes?"

The three have begun packing maps into cloth holding-bags that the younger man slings over his shoulders. "If this compass does what you claim, we are many steps closer to an incredible discovery, Erus. If you know the ship, you understand its importance. We have little time to waste. Honyu, I'll begin here. Speak to others by the docks once the maps are secure."
    The lady puts a hand gingerly on his shoulder. "Is the ship ready?"
    "Good idea. You can start with the sailors then."
    The three of them nod. The lady takes the lily and compass and asks Erus, "this flower has such beauty! Why don't I leave it in my room? It would be a tragedy if a bar fight happens near it..." She flicks her eyes and head upstairs, ostensibly to her room.

Erus smiles and accepts the quiver: "Any pure winter lily will do, and if you do not return before time is up, I will assume you accept the trade. Best of luck."

The lady circles the sailors sitting at tables, finally choosing one where the men look social and slightly bored, and she shows them the compass and asks them if they want to undertake an important adventure; the older and younger man leave the Maiden's Tickle to perform their tasks.

Erus has quite a bit of time, now, to roam and explore as he desires.

more