New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Razorback's Strange Aeons - In Search of Sanity

Seeing that her spells aren't doing all that much, Vri looks around for something that could be used as a weapon. A club of some sort would do. If she sees something, she will go for it.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

I guess perception to see around me for a weapon (preferably my own, but any will do in a pinch): (1d20+7)[16]

Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: In and map
    Show

Initiative order -
    Vri - 22
    G3 - Dead (H-2)
    Elia - 17
    Ebert - 16
    G1 - 16 (I-1)
    The Owl - 15
    Hazel - 12
    Lizbeth - 10
    Nalgho - 7
    G2 - Dead (I-2)
    Zapka - 4

Ebert is up.
    u-b, I moved Zapka to H-2 as my last post I was under the assumption Nalgo had already moved to J-1 but I failed to update the map.

Zapka charges forward, mouth stretched open at the final ghoul still moving. The ghoul, seeing the teeth, lifts its foot at the last moment and Zapka's bite tears into the box next to it, splintering it in the process.
    Vri, looking about, see that the box that was holding her cage down had tumbled to the ground and she sees a rapier, bow, and backpack that look familiar.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ettin in the Playground

Seeing Zapka already entering the grease and Hazel tactically positioned to attempt it next, Ebert dismisses the spell. He otherwise just stays out of the fighting.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

Show

Initiative order -
    Vri - 22
    G3 - Dead (H-2)
    Elia - 17
    [Ebert - 16
    G1 - 16 (I-1)
    The Owl - 15
    Hazel - 12
    Lizbeth - 10
    Nalgho - 7

G2 - Dead (I-2)
    Zapka - 4

The Owl, Hazel and Nalgho are up.

The ghoul, cornered, lashes out at Zapka. Snarling, the abomination strike with one of the claws, and its bite failing to hit but the second claw hits, giving him a small scratch.

Spoiler: Zapka
    Show

Zapka takes 2 points of damage and needs to make a DC 13 fortitude save
    Last edited by razorback; 2021-01-03 at 01:04 PM.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

Hazel

Hazel winks back at Nalgho "I do find that attack," she lunges forward at the ghoul "is the best form of defence".

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Misc: 5ft step
    Standard: Rapier (1d20+5)[10] (+1 BAB, +4 Dex) damage (1d8+4)[9]

Acrobatics DC10 vs Grease (1d20+6)[21]

6. - Top - End - #366
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Owl - HP:11\11 - Conditions: None - Active Effects: None

---------

The shadowy beast the Owl conjured into existence now dissolves, having at least distracted for a bit one of the cadaveric figures. However the battle is not over, so now he tries to find another way to hurt the enemies that put him in a cage - he frantically looks around trying to find a weapon, something that could give him a chance to defend himself.

Spoiler: Actions!
    Show

Move + Standard: the Owl looks around, trying to find a weapon; if he finds it, he moves to pick it up.
    "Rabbit has Brain. That's why he never understands anything."

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Show

Initiative order -
    Vri - 22
    G3 - Dead (H-2)
    Elia - 17
    [Ebert - 16
    G1 - 16 (I-1)
    The Owl - 15
    Hazel - 12
    Lizbeth - 10
    Nalgho - 7
    G2 - Dead (I-2)
    Zapka - 4

Nalgho is up.

Concentrating on her footing on the slippery floor to keep out of the grasp of the ghoul, Hazel's blade waivers and fails to hit the creature.

The Owl, in the meantime, casts about as he realizes that there are a dagger and crossbow, long with a backpack, that have fallen on the ground from the box previously holding the lid down.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

Huh, that worked pretty well, Nalgho thinks with a surprised look on his face. He maneuvers around to try another solid kick, instinctually paying attention to how the battle's layout changes the way he should strike.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    Looks like I can try a flurry this time. (d20+5)[24] vs AC for (d6)[2] damage, (d20+5)[15] vs AC for (d6)[2] damage.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

In a blur, Nalgho kicks the ghoul in the stomach, causing it to bend forward, before whipping around to kick it again, this time connecting with its head with a sickening crunch. In a heap, the creature falls and is still. Besides everyone now breathing a little harder, the only other sound is the dog barking and growling at the fallen creatures, as formerly caged and newcomers look at each other.
    After the initial shock, Lizbeth rushes forward and starts to remove the dog from the cage.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

Ebert moves into the southwest corner and casts a spell. He then seems to watch over the room, not moving anywhere. Zapka shifts a bit south to let the people free the dog, but does not move anywhere either.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect Magic across the board, just in case.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Vri looked at the others while she picked up her gear and checked it out.
    "This might sound like a strange question," she said, her voice sounding quite melodic, "but where are we? And how did we get here?"

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

12. - Top - End - #372

---------

The Owl picks up his own stuff and looks at the rest of the group, uncertain of what to expect from them. The elf's questions are met with a slow shake of the head and a pained answer "I do not know. Who are you?" a brief pause, then another disheartened question "And who am I?"

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Ebert
    Show

Ebert scans the area and sees a faint blue (abjuration) glow coming from behind the cage holding the dog. If he chooses to move things about a bit, he realizes there is a large, wooden shield giving of the blue glow.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Vri looked around and delved deep in her memory, or tried to at least.
    "My name is... Vrilundass, I think," she said, "but most people called me Vri. But I have no idea how I got here. Or where here is actually."

She looked at her equipment, or at least what she thought was her equipment, given that it was on her cage, hoping that any of it would trigger some memories. She used a mirror she found in the backpack to have a good look at her own face. It was a nice looking face, that was clear, but it could just as well be the face of a stranger.
    "Nice rapier," she said to no-one in particular, "I wonder where I got that one from.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ettin in the Playground

Ebert, satisfied that none of the newly found people shines magical, notices one shining thing he did not quite expect. He moves things a bit and discovers a magical large wooden shield, which he does his best to examine.

"This thing seems magical. Would anyone be able to make good use of it?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Know (arcana): (1d20+4)[20]
    Spellcraft: (1d20+4)[23]

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ettin in the Playground

Hazel pokes about the room as the newcomers are given some time to sort themselves out. To Ebert, "No, it's not for me. A heavy warriors shield."

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I seem to have a shield in what I believe are my things," Vri said, putting it on her arm and waving it around a bit to see if it felt as if she knew what she was doing, "that would suggest I know how to use one. So if nobody else wants it, I'm willing to give it a shot. May I have a look at that."

She also cast detect magic and had a close look at the shield.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

same rolls as U-b:
    knowledge(arcana): (1d20+7)[26]
    spellcraft: (1d20+6)[21]

18. - Top - End - #378

---------

"I can't remember my name. I only remember how I was called by others - they called me the Owl." he looks at his own hands, clearly taken aback by the grey skin "Weird. And not weird at the same time. I do not remember who I am, but I do remember how I can command shadows to do my bidding." then again he looks at the others, especially the ones that bursted into the room "Who are you? What are you doing here? Do you know why we're here?" a sense of urgency in the Owl's words, the need to have at least some degree of understanding about what's happening to him.
    Last edited by Bunny Commando; 2021-01-09 at 10:13 PM.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ettin in the Playground

"Welcome to The Briarstone Asylum, the realm watched over by Argade and Zandalus! You must be mad to be here and you probably are!" recites Ebert and then, with much less pathos, continues "Same thing, actually. Cannot remember last few years even if I do quite remember some of my earlier life. No idea how I ended up here. I'll look in a book, but it might not be there. Meanwhile, we're hunting for some dopplegangers. The place seems to be beset by them as well as by the ghouls. The guards further that way don't care about the ghouls, but promised to let us out for a few dead dopplegangers. Coming with us?"

20. - Top - End - #380
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Vri didn't really get all that, but anywhere else seemed to be better than here and hopefully she would at some point find back her memories.
    "Sure, why not," she said, a slight hint of sarcasm noticeable in her voice, "I have nothing else planned in my agenda for today."

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Ebert and Vri
    Show

After a few moments the pair of you, each, come to the decision that this shield has been magically enhanced to provide better protection (+1).

As the group is speaking with the new-comers, Elia and Lizbeth move to free the dog from its cage. Elia, while looking for the latch, notices that when Ebert removes the shield that there is a small pouch. She grabs it and finds within it 3 small vials along with a silver necklace with a songbird design, painted with a tail in a rainbow of colors.
    They hand over the pouch to the others to review before fussing over the dog and speaking in hushed tones to each other.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

Ebert reviews the findings.

Spoiler
    Show
    All nonmagical?
    Know (religion, untrained) (1d20+0)[15]

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Following the example of Vri and The Owl, the apparently martial half-orc pokes around in the stuff that was holding his cage closed, soon finding a nasty-looking crossbow and some rope. "I don't remember anything ... uh, pretty much stands alone as a statement, but I was gunna say, I don't remember anything about learning to use armor or weapons. Don't know how much help I could be in hunting down doppelgangers, but if you'll have me, I'd much rather stick with you than wander around alone in a madhouse. Uh, call me Nalgho. How're we going to tell when we find a doppelganger?" Nalgho isn't sure he's comfortable with helping to kill a sentient living creature, but if half-remembered tales are true, doppelgangers might not give him much of a choice.

Current games list

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ettin in the Playground

"So far we've had only one suspect, handed her to the guards still alive, she shone magical for no good reason. Might be that's how they change their shape. Did not find any more specimen, meaning that I've just checked you and you are in the clear." While Ebert so introduces new people, Zapka gets out of the southern door (very silently, if anyone is noticing), where she turns right. Ebert nods in the direction. "Zapka. She's with me."

Spoiler
    Show
    Zapka moves to G8, unless she notices something.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Vri did another detect magic on the other items found, just to be sure. As it seemed nobody else had a shield and nobody really wanted this, she took it and put her own, smaller shield next to the cage she had been in.
    "If anybody wants that, be my guest," she said, not sure if she should be lugging it with her. It was nice to have a backup, but shields were heavy.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Ebert
    Show

You recognize this as a holy symbol of Shelyn, though the name is abstract and unconnected to anything but you're sure the memory is accurate.
    None of the vials ping as being magic.
    Neither Zapka nor Ebert notices anything further out of the relatively ordinary.

For a few moments, Elia and Lizbeth argue quietly back and forth, Lizbeth with slumped shoulders and a defeated look. Elia puts an arm around her friend as they talk before a bit more, coming to a decision. "We've decided not to go on. This madness is a bit too much for us. We hope that, with the site of what we have given those men and these ghouls, that they will take us in. Hopefully, we can convince them that the rest of you are people and not shapeshifters." Elia says with a strong voice but Lizbeth trembles a bit, not looking anyone else in the eyes.

27. - Top - End - #387

---------------

"An Asylum? Why would they bring me to an Asylum?" confusion and fear seemingly dominate the oddly-coloured and oddly-named human that now pokes his own face, like he's trying to understand how he looks like; then the one called Ebert says something about dopplegangers and a promise of freedom and the Owl clings to it, trying to have a small degree of control of his own predicament; he slowly nods with little enthusiasm but in obvious need to have some kind of objective "I am willing to hunt down the dopplegangers; I remember I can see magical auras, also."

That said, he picks Vri's shield up and is about to move when Elia and Lizbeth tell the rest of the group their intention; the Owl looks at them awkwardly, shrugs and says "Good luck."

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

"Um, yeah, good fortune." Nalgho's voice makes it clear he's shaken -- amnesiac, apparently insane if he got stuck in an asylum, and now suspected (if quickly cleared) of being a doppelganger ... it's a lot to take in all at once. "I'd rather go with you, but it sounds like your guards wouldn't trust me anyhow. I hope they let you back."

Current games list

29. - Top - End - #389
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Anybody has any idea which way to go," Vri asked. She didn't know how she had gotten into the room, so she had no idea on how to get out. She hoped that the others would know, otherwise it might be a long time wandering around here... wherever here was.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ettin in the Playground

"A symbol of Shelyn and three nonmagical potions. Anyone knows alchemy?" Ebert just nods to Elia and Lizbeth. "We've come from the south and have not checked any other way, so just choose a door, open it for Zapka and wait in the corridor for things to come out. I mean, it is not strictly necessary to charge forward like Hazel did."