New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Razorback's Strange Aeons - In Search of Sanity

Lizbeth

"She's lying! Torture is never the solution, and she was doing it for fun not necessity!" Lizbeth stands tall with her hand outstretched, the purple birthmark almost glowing with the energy of yet another crystal shard ready to be hurled.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    (1d20+8)[14] Sense Motive

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

"And she would've done us next, she said so," Elia growls, her slightly-too-sharp teeth visible. "She's probably the reason we're locked up here!"

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

(1d20+8)[10] know (nature)
    (1d20+8)[10] know (arcana)
    (1d20+4)[6] know (nature)

(1d20-1)[17] sense motive

lord those know checks are bad
    Last edited by infomatic; 2019-11-29 at 05:12 PM.
    "My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it."
    — The Dragon, to Grendel

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Herren

Herren pauses for a moment, surprised to be received by words rather than further bloodshed, and lowers his arm into a defensive stance instead of lashing out with it. "And what does that have to do with us?" he spits, throwing into his voice all the resentment and humiliation of being stripped and imprisoned. "Do we even know you can stop it? Are we supposed to wait forever for your fumbling while you try?"

He looks past the doctor to that strange white-haired fellow as he speaks, the one who grabbed the surgical tool, waiting to see if she intends to attack without waiting to talk this out all the way - and ready to strike in tandem with her if so.
    Last edited by Foryn Gilnith; 2019-11-29 at 11:13 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

"I... I don't know how to stop it. The yellow mists... they creep along and any it touches losses their mind. That's why you're here. You have all been touched by the mists and caused... did terrible deeds under its influence. I can't speak for your state of mind, like him" she says as she points to the man strapped on the table "he was an orderly here and your infection has begun to corrupt him." "She lies..." he calls out weakly as she continues as if he didn't say anything "I fear you will begin to see reality distort, as him, and start attacking everyone as if they were some monster risen up from the sea." She pauses and, keeping her hands up, she continues in a cold, clincal fashion "Your paranoia will continue to spread if we don't stop it here... now. Yes, my methods are crude but all we know is all of you were triggered by some harm or hurt and, as the courts have already sentenced him, we are hoping some small pain to him, and perhaps even the rest of you, can help save the world. This isn't the only outbreak and if we can't find something... the world may end up in fire and death. I'm sorry if you feel that this is unfair but you are all convicted murderers and if some small pain on your part can save the world, maybe the Gods will forgive you." in a matter-of-fact attitude.

Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive - You are all quite convinced she is telling the truth. At least, that she believes she is telling the truth.

Hazel finds a rapier and armor that seem vaguely familiar along with some other items.

5. - Top - End - #125

Chimera

"I don't know about them, but I haven't done any 'terrible deeds,' " Elia snaps back. (She dimly remembers breaking into a medicine cabinet at some point, but is certain the penalty for that isn't being carved up alive.)

The warning about paranoia struck home, though she tries to keep the worry out of her voice. She glances at the others. "I'm getting out of here. We should stick her in the cell and see if we can help that one," she nods her head at the "patient."
    — The Dragon, to Grendel

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Herren slackens his body, listening seriously to what this... person, has to say, before her final comment brings a scowl to his face and the rest of the party starts to chip in. "I don't need an outsider's ministration for my Goddess to forgive me," he barks, raising his hand into a combative boxing stance once again. "And you will forgive us, I hope, if I wait for an agent of the court to declare my sentence."

His eyes flicker back to the rummaging Hazel as the conversation continues, and he nods at Elia's suggestion before turning his head to once again address the doctor. "You're outnumbered and we're armed. It would be wise for you to let us peacefully put you in a cell until one of your colleagues comes to get you."
    Last edited by Foryn Gilnith; 2019-12-05 at 01:06 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

The doctors eye furl in anger though she keeps her tone reigned in. "Do you think you would be down here if you weren't already given your chance. You have already been tried and convicted of your crimes. The only reason were given a chance to live is that you were chosen to participate in finding a cure for the madness spreading across the land. If you try to escape now the only thing you will gain is the hangman's noose. Stay, and help, and you may gain both your life back and help save the world from this mania." she says as her voice cracks slightly as she begins to plead.

8. - Top - End - #128

Chimera

Elia makes a face as she parses this. "You're either trying to torture a bunch of innocents or you're trying to reason with a gang of murderers," she says. "Either way, you're an idiot if you think we're going back in there." She waggles the knife in the direction of the cell, to make her point.
    — The Dragon, to Grendel

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

The doctor's face turns from pleading to a bit of anger and frustration to disbelief to resignation in the space of a couple of moments. Her mouth starts to open when the man on the table, waking from his stupor, yells out "She has friends... kill her, kill her..." and his head rolls to the side as he losses consciousness again.
    "Mad, just like you. Go, then, and when the guards find you, you'll be back in my care. Throw me in the cell, if that is what you want."

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Hazel

"It is" spits Hazel. She grabs the rapier with one hand and pushes the doctor, manhandling her toward the cell. Patting down the doctor for any more items she then shoves her/ it into the cell and locks the door.

"Some stuff over there - weapons and such. Take what you need."
    she says to the others.
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2019-12-13 at 03:25 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

The doctor replies without any resistance other than giving a 'Tsk, tsk' but you all guess that is more for herself than any of you.
    Nothing of note is found on her person. As the door shuts and locks, you can detect a ghost of a smile on her cold features. "I guess I need a little break from my work, even if forced." she says as she sits back and makes herself comfortable. Laying down as she interlaces her fingers and uses her hands as a makeshift pillow, she sighs before continuing. "When the guards bring you back, try not to be too loud and disturb me, if you don't mind." as she gives a small chuckle to herself.

Spoiler
    Show

In the sacks you will all find your missing equipment.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

Hazel

Hazel spits at the doctors words and turns the key in the lock, glowering. She wanders back to where her equipment lay and begins the comforting task of loading up and strapping everything back on, ready to go and helping everyone else prepare too.

She moves back to the injured man strapped to the bench and starts working on his restraints. "And what's you name? Are you really an orderly here? 'Cos I'd really like to know just where 'here' is".

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+7)[26]
    Sense Motive (1d20-2)[7]

Yay for gear!

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Hazel walks up to the man and as she is undoing his straps, she sees that his eyes are open but have rolled back up with a bit of drool running out of his mouth. She can see him breathing, but it is shallow and fast as he makes no move to respond.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Hazel

"Hey, you don't look so good. You alright?" she shakes him gently "Hey! Wake up! Where are we?"

Spoiler: heal check
    Show
    Heal (1d20-2)[7]

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

The mans eyes continue to roll up into the back of his head as he mumbles incoherently.

16. - Top - End - #136

Chimera

"I'm an apothecary … assistant apothecary," Elia begins as she rummages through one of the sacks. "I thought I worked here, but it looks so different … I don't remember her, certainly, or him," she gestures toward the man on the table.

She finds a bag that feels familiar, at least — the armor fits at least, and she slings a bag full of supplies over her shoulder. It falls open for a moment and she glances inside at a half-opened medicine pouch. Golden kesh. She remembered that. It was used to help calm lunatics and the posessed, but if misused could cause uncanny hallucinations. And from the looks of it, she'd taken a lot.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I've probably got another week to go of nightly headaches that are messing up sleep (and by extension, everything else) so I'm hit-and miss for several more days, most likely.
    — The Dragon, to Grendel

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizbeth

Something about all of this felt... wrong... somehow. Still, with the torturing "doctor" behind bars for the moment the importance has turned to the man on the table. She steps with confidence to the man's side, gently pushing in front of the others examining him.

"Let me look, I think I am good at this... I think?"

Spoiler: Roll dem bones!
    Show
    (1d20+8)[12] Heal check to assess/assist our bound man.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Its hard to tell is if the man is moaning in pain from something in his delirium, the pain he had recieved at the hands of the doctor or the minstrations of the two recently freed prisoners. The bleeding seems to stop from what Hazel and Lizbeth can tell. His bloody bindings, looking like torn pieces of clothing, hold him fast but he insensible for the moment.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizbeth

"He is delirious, though whether that is an unnatural state as the good doctor claims or as a result of the drastic torture he was experiencing is yet to be seen." The young priestess shakes her head, eyes blurring for a moment.

"I'm... not sure where this is. What is going on, truly? I saw you all in... a dream? It was so real, and they..." She gestures to the two small corpses still in the cell they so recently vacated. "I watched them die. I watched you all die, and I couldn't save..." Her shoulders slump before she visibly stiffens, but she doesn't continue speaking and her gaze is lost in clouded memory.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

The man continues to roll about as if in a fever. "The madness has already overtaken him. His mind is splinttering... whatever it is, the attacks to the mind wear down the body.
    If he doesn't run about mad and get killed by the guards then the madness will consume his body with time. I've seen it happen too many times to count now."
    the doctor says with pursed lips, disapproval obvious in her face.

21. - Top - End - #141

Chimera

"Perhaps the patients would respond better to less torturing," Elia snaps back. But she frowns as she says it; she has no idea what's wrong with the man, and though it would be inhuman to leave him restrained here she didn't relish the idea of turning a potential madman loose.

She nods toward one of the other cells. "We could put him in there, then come back once we find some help. It's better than leaving him tied up like this."

— The Dragon, to Grendel

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

"Other methods were tried but were unsuccessful. All anyone ever responded to was pain. It was thought that something to do with the body's response to pain might be the path to a cure. Tell me, would you be willing to endure some pain in order to stave off madness? You all seem lucid to me right now... I wonder how long it will last. Before these 'dreams' overtake you once more." is all the doctor says in response.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

Hazel

"That's it, I've had enough of this. You - shut the heck up" she snaps at the captured doctor. "You," she says more kindly to whomever is closest, "Help me get this guy into a cell. We'll come back for him later."

When everyone is ready she draws her rapier and takes point. "Let's see what we can find".

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Ready to move on when everyone else is. But I do have 7 Wis so feel free to do otherwise.

24. - Top - End - #144

Chimera

"Oof." Elia unbuckles the patient and, grabbing him by the ankles, hauls him off the table. She only drops him a little, and helps to drag him into a neighboring cell.

With that, she snatches up her bag and heads for the next room. She doesn't look at their captive, but calls over her shoulder, "Don't come looking for us! We're unrepentant killers!"
    — The Dragon, to Grendel

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm not worried as I won't need to. I will see you soon enough." she says and a cold undercurrent of threat gives Elia a chill.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Hazel

Hazel heads off, kind of aware that others are following with her but determined to press on whatever the situation. She ties the door handle that apparently leads out of this dungeon room.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Open door at P5

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Ella, Hazel and Lizbeth talk about moving onward while Herren, Rirri and Ruyle look at each other in wild disbelief at the situation.
    Rirri and Ruyle both have a a bit of a crazed look in their eyes, as if considering that they aren't fully awake and trying to shake themselves from the current situation. Herren mumbles something about waiting here for help... to watch the doctor and care for the patient. "I don't know if I can go on..." is a similar sentiment that each expresses in one form or another. You can understand the feeling as if drawn to lay down and sleep, to wait in the darkness for help if the world has truly turned topsy turvy.
    As Hazel shakes it off and moves to the door, the doctor says in a monotone voice "I would steel myself, young one.
    What awaits you on the other side of the door will give you chills. Those there did this to themselves and others."

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Hazel

"Whatever," snaps Hazel at the face-shifting surgeon, "I'll be back for you later". She yanks the door open without further thought...

Spoiler: Wis 7
    Show
    I'm going to roleplay Hazel as generally quite rash and overconfident. So, to help with survivability, I'll try to insert little pauses for y'all to prevent her taking certain actions (or prepare yourselves) as you may wish.

In this instance I'm not too worried about the consequences, but you could jump in while she's snapping at Dr Fake-Face if you want to alter things.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

As the others mill about and trying to decide their next move, the brash Hazel opens the door and gasps as what she sees.
    A broad chute extends diagonally through one of this cellar’s half-crumbled stone walls. Beneath it lies heaped more than a dozen mutilated humanoid bodies. Nearby,a flight of rickety, wooden steps climbs toward the high ceiling—an escape none of the room’s current occupants seem capable of employing. The smell of rot and decay in the room is nearly overwhelming, and the buzz of flies hangs in the air.

Spoiler: Map!
    Show

Q/S-1/7 is what Hazel sees.

Last edited by razorback; 2020-03-17 at 01:45 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Ebert and Vadok
    Show

You don't know how long you have been running through the sickening fog through... a maze? A maze of sagging brick walls as you run along the slick cobblestones. Sounds of pursuit dog your every step with the sound not unlike the leathery, flapping wings of a huge bat. coming from all-around and nowhere at once, the sound drives you forward. It seems like hours pass and exhaustion takes you as you stand leaning against a wall breathing hard. The faceless inevitability of the situation drains you of all strength. Then, all at once, a face emerges from the fog.

As you stumble back hard against the all, a huge, rusted razor flicks out as you feel a pain. Looking down, the last thing you see is a crimson spurt as it all goes dark.

Ebert and Vadok realize, each, that there is sound and light around them but feel slow and sluggish of both mind and body as if they had spent a long night drinking far too much and reality hasn't quite set in yet. Yelling and shouting, along with cries of pain ring out, drag them out of their stupor as they realize they are in a cage. Just outside of the cage a doctor is fighting off some people before they move out of their view before the group drags her back into a cell across from you. The group then huddles around a table as you realize the screaming came from a man tied to it, his head rolling to one side as he passes out. The group then begins to try to help the man as you look at each other and realize you were in a dream together but this is hard, stark reality you are dealing with now.

Spoiler: All
    Show

Ebert and Vadok are in the cell at K/L/M-6 while everyone else is huddled around.
    The cell is currently still locked.