New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Razorback's Strange Aeons - In Search of Sanity

Lizbeth

Content to let the others lead for the moment, Lizbeth hangs back for a moment with an eye towards the unconscious man and the doctor in the cell. Shaking her head, she follows up the rope.

Spoiler: Rollin'
    Show
    (1d20+1)[6] Climb Check
    (1d20+4)[19] Fort Save

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

As Vadok throws down the rope, he begins to inspect the room. There are two shelves that, on inspection, have lye, a covered flask with a liquid that gives off a pungent, irritating odor. There are also several neatly folded pieces of cloth on the shelves. On the floor, similar cloths are strewn about with stain ranging from rush brown to recently dried blood. Streaks of mud and blood that make tracks on the floor, thicker and more pronounced at the door and diminishing as they approach the chute.
    Hazel, with the rope to climb, handily makes her way up the chute, cresting the top as Vadok makes way as he inspects the room.
    Libeth, on the other hand, struggles with the rope, twisting and turning as she shimmies up as she fails to put her feet on the wall. Moving up the chute, the rope is as much a hinderance as help until she slips. Sliding a few feet before catching herself, she manages to finally make it to the top. She would have laughed at the folly if not for the gore and smell.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Elia stares up at the chute for a long time as the other ascend, then glances at the pile of corpses again and grabs the rope as tightly as she can, kicking her way upward.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

(1d20)[9]

That's probably not good enough until I get into the chute to brace myself.

She calls up. "Could somebody help pull me up? I'm … having some trouble."
    Last edited by infomatic; 2020-06-06 at 09:26 PM.
    "My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it."
    — The Dragon, to Grendel

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Vadok
    Half-Orc Inquisitor of Gorum
    AC: 15 HP: 10/10
    touch: 11, ff: 14, CMD: 15
    Conditions: -

Having landed in every house wife's worst nightmare, Vadok is once again distracted by the pitiful attempts at climbing. Sure, I will pull you up. Hold on tight and keep your head down. He was praying at Gorum these cityfolk were more hardy and adept at other things. Elia was light enough to be pulled but her horns and her gear made it difficult to fit through the narrow tunnel. Take off your backpack and hold it in front of you.

The black orc's muscles bulged, strained but not overburdened, as Elia finally arrives at the top. He then points at the cabinet. There's lye in there and you seem to have a knack for potion mixing. It is for cleaning, but I know for a fact that one can loose the eyesight from it.

Spoiler
    Show
    My off-ground weight is 600 lbs, which should be enough to pull Elia.
    Lye could be used as a acid-standin, both as thrown weapon for 1d6 splash damage (plus Int with Elia), or as alchemical power component for my acid splash (unless you rule acid damage is only acid and not all corrosive materials).
    Either way, I suggest keeping it. It also is very useful vs. oozes so there's that.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

Ebert follows the rest up the rope. Zapka stands still, looks around and listens.

Spoiler
    Show
    Climb: (1d20-1)[2] or (1d20-1)[8] or (1d20-1)[15]
    Fort: (1d20+2)[19]

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Ebert, trying to work his way up to the chute, slips and falls. Landing heavily on the bodies below as a some of the older bodies give way and a putrid, rotting smell begins to waft up. Gagging he reaches up and begins to work his way up the rope. With some huffing and puffing, a gore strewn Ebert finally makes it to the top.

7. - Top - End - #187

Chimera

Elia nods a thank-you at Vadok and makes a vain attempt at wiping the gore from her front before giving up and turning her attention to the cabinets, and sniffs the flask. The lye was probably for cleaning — though there's nowhere near enough for the task at hand, she thinks, glancing back to the stinking chute. She unfolds one of the cloths; perhaps they had a similar purpose

Spoiler
    Show

Are these cloth pieces like rags or towels, or are they big enough to be gowns or cloaks?

Not sure if the "covered flask with a liquid that gives off a pungent, irritating odor" is the lye or if that's something else. (1d20+8)[19] craft alchemy if it's something else that needs identifying.

— The Dragon, to Grendel

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Vadok

Vadok shakes his head at the two. Cleanliness should not be our goal today. Our captors should see what we went through to break their skulls once we get to them. the Gorumite states grimly.

Speaking of which, Vadok looks for a way out of this room, to crush some skulls and kill someone. He isn't even particularly concerned if that someone is even linked to his incarceration, he just wants to feel the thrill of combat. He removes the rope, and leads the way.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am all for expediting this process a bit. Not gonna lie, I like the group and my character, but it is all going a bit sluggish.

Last edited by Spore; 2020-06-09 at 08:27 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

As Ebert looks around, the only sounds Zapka can hear is the falling rain and the distant noise... that sounds like it might be crying?
    While searching the racks, Elia make an educated guess as to the contents of the flask.
    Vadok, turning to the open door, sees another door just beyond, as he notices the falling rain that, with the heat, gives the whole area a humid and tense feeling.

Spoiler
    Show

Speaking of which, Vadok looks for a way out of this room, to crush some skulls and kill someone. He isn't even particularly concerned if that someone is even linked to his incarceration, he just wants to feel the thrill of combat. He removes the rope, and leads the way.
    Sorry, I forgot I had put this in spoilers only for Zapka.

The item circled red is the chute you came up.

Are these cloth pieces like rags or towels, or are they big enough to be gowns or cloaks?

Not sure if the "covered flask with a liquid that gives off a pungent, irritating odor" is the lye or if that's something else. [roll0] craft alchemy if it's something else that needs identifying.
    They are towels only, used for cleaning.
    The liquid is bleach.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, it could have been worse. Somehow, Ebert feels this might turn out to be a very long day, and worse it will be, but right now... "Lead on, Vadok, we are ready."

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Vadok

Do you hear crying? The wretch might not be able to aid us, but it might know where the exit is. Vadok adds. He goes out into the courtyard and opens the other door.

12. - Top - End - #192

Chimera

Nose wrinkling, Elia tucks the flasks of bleach and lye away in one of the belts she'd slung over her shoulder and makes her way to the door after the hulking Vadok.

Spoiler: listening
    Show

(1d20+5)[10] perception to see if she can tell which way the crying is coming from

— The Dragon, to Grendel

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Hazel

Hazel follows, blade in hand. She gazes around the courtyard for a moment before stepping up behind Vadok and focusing on what lies beyond the next door.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Perception (1d20-2)[12]

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

As Vadok goes to the door and opens it, he looks left and right.
    To his right, he sees broken lanterns and several battered doors line this cold, rubble-strewn hall. Across the hall, a pair of swinging doors lies shattered upon a 4-foot-high heap of wrecked furniture clogging a broad doorframe.
    To his left he sees a 3-foot-high barricade of broken furniture and fallen masonry fills a wide, empty doorframe, blocking off the northern portion of this broad hall. Lanterns flicker upon the walls, casting shadows upon several closed doors and beyond the ramshackle barricade. Just beyond he can see 4 figures moving, humans with crossbows by the look. 3 are huddled together while a fourth, looking your way, pops his head down as you can hear some whispering and the other 3 also drop behind the barricade.
    Neither Elia or Hazel are able to discern where the noise is coming from.

Spoiler: Hallway
    Show

Barricade is between the two southern doors.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Vadok

You four! Vadok starts with a thundering bellow. Shoot at us and you will be sorry. Help us escape and you will enjoy our support. We are capable sorcerers and warriors, and we could help a bunch of crossbowmen escape. By Gorum, let them bleed for what they did to us.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+6)[9]

16. - Top - End - #196

Chimera

"What is going on in this hospital?" Elia murmurs, peering around the door frame into the corridor. Whoever these men were, it occurred to her that they'd put the "doctor" on the other side of the barricade. "Listen to him! We just want to leave, that's all."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Diplomacy (1d20)[4]

At some point, the universe requires us to start rolling better than this
    Last edited by infomatic; 2020-06-13 at 11:56 AM.
    — The Dragon, to Grendel

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Beyond the barricade, a 3 foot high collection of anything and everything that could be gathered by the looks of it, Vadok can here someone speaking "We got more here, Captian!” in a frantic whisper. A moment later a head pops up, crossbow trained on Vadok as he says "Stay back! Come any further and we'll shoot. Go back where you came, fiends!" as the three others pop up, another aiming at Vadok as the other two point theirs towards Elia.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

Hazel

"Hey now, watcha talking about there? See we're not fiends. Just got stuck over this side. Did you see where the fiends went though? Can't be too careful" Trying to speak calmly Hazel rolls her eyes in frustration these idiots.

Spoiler: chat
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+7)[23]

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Vadok

If they shoot and miss, by the gods, I will piss in their headstumps when I am done with them. Vadok growls more towards his comrades than the enemy.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

Ebert pops his head into the hallway, takes a very quick look around, and is back outside out of reach of the crossbow bolts. Zapka waits outside.

Spoiler
    Show
    Of interest:
    1. Uniforms/armors of the crossbowmen.
    2. The number of lanterns (and their locations, if there's only few of them).
    3. Windows, if any.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizbeth

Her gaze is concerned as she follows the brash and bloodthirsty half-orc makes his way through the space. The appearance of other... normal?... persons gave her a moment of hope although the reactions of her... teammates?... still concerned her.

Feeling a need to act, she steps boldly forward, arms raised with hands empty. The bold purple mark of Milani stands stark against her pale skin as her voice calls out. "Savior's Grace, lower your arms. We mean you no harm, quite the opposite in fact." Her face remains focused, but the slight shrug of her shoulders is directed back towards her companions. "I am a healer. Are there wounded among you? What..." her voice falters for a moment. "Can you tell me where we are, what is happening here?"

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Trying to be diplomatic here.

(1d20+6)[10] Diplomacy check.

EDIT: Come on, circumstance modifiers!
    Last edited by PeacefulOak; 2020-06-16 at 10:19 AM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

At Elia's, the first guard pops his head up but, seeing others, quickly aims his crossbow at her. He gives a nudging motion and another guard pops up, crossbow also at the ready.
    As Hazel speaks, she can see another person walk into view from a bend further down the hall. He, too, has a crossbow up but isn't aiming at any of you. Listening to Hazel and raising an eyebrow at Vadok's, he moves to the where the guards disappeared behind the barricade. "Maybe yes, maybe no... but I can't take that chance. Come no closer or you will be fired upon.
    Got people to protect and I don't ever remember seein' any a' you."
    As Lisbeth rounds the corner, he quickly jerks his crossbow up but, just as quickly lowers it, seeing no hostility. As she speaks, his head tilts to the side as he ponders what she's saying for a long moment. "Well, the first part be none of your business... and the second... well, this The Briarstone Asylum. If you didn't know or remember that... my guess is you're one of the loonies down there. If not, we'll you be one of the shapers we keep seeing... and if that be the case, you can go back to the hell you came from. Either way, you keep to yourselves and don't approach." he says the last as Ebert's head pops out from around the corner, he raises his crossbow but doesn't lower it this time.
    Spoiler
    Show

Ebert, and everyone, notice that the two original guards have white smocks on, giving them the look of an orderly or janitor.
    The 5th man, however, with his dark clothing, has a different look and feel. His demeanor, stance and the wicked scar down the right side of his face betray him as a fighting man even if the gray at his temples and slight paunch tell of one past his fighting prime.
    Last edited by razorback; 2020-06-16 at 05:55 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Vadok

By the Lord in Iron, we WILL have your heads. Vadok slowly and deliberately steps forward, his gaze focussed on the best warrior of the paltry defense force. He does not flinch. I am a devout of Gorum. I do not fear dying on the battlefield, neither here nor outside. If you wish to attack me, be aware that I will kill you, one by one. First I will cripple you. Then I will break every single of your ribs. Finally your arms. You will be asking for the sweet release of death.

If they however shoot at Vadok, he charges the first one.

Spoiler: If they listen
    Show
    Intimidate [roll]1d20+12[roll] 31 as rolled OOC.

Spoiler: If charge
    Show
    AC -2 switched to AC 13, touch 9, ff 12
    (1d20+7)[15]
    (2d6+6)[9]

Last edited by Spore; 2020-06-16 at 06:15 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh, no! Vadok! We don't need more bodies here, neither yours nor theirs! I, certainly, don't. These people seem reasonably sane and are probably authority. I don't want authority mad at me on top of having excess blameless blood on my hands. Give us a minute, will you?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I think it is too late to physically stop Vadok without exposing oneself even if we imagine Ebert to be in the league to even attempt it. A diplomacy check as full round to make a request (no modifiers): (1d20+10)[15].

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

The captain, taking a step back in shock, says "Fire!" as he lets loose. Both his bolt and one of the other guards, though shaky, still manage to find their mark while the other guard goes wide, flying out off site down the far end of the hall.
    As the three begin to reload, he says "You two, stand and fire if any others approach." Ebert and the others see the other two guards reluctantly stand and aim their crossbows but don't look happy at the prospect.

Spoiler
    Show

Vadok gets hit for 4 and 8 damage, for a total of 12.

26. - Top - End - #206

Chimera

Elia lets out a surprisingly graphic stream of curses — surprising to her, at any rate, she wasn't entirely sure what all those words even meant — as Gadok crumples. Seizing fistfuls of the half-orc's clothing, she tries to drag him back into the doorway.

"Imbiciles! she shouts. "One of those … shapers … tried to do us in, too!"

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Not sure if Gadok is within reach or how much he weighs, but (1d20)[14] strength check if needed. (Base strength 11)

How far away is the barricade?
    Last edited by infomatic; 2020-06-18 at 05:57 AM.
    — The Dragon, to Grendel

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Elia, rushing forward, grabs the massive half-orc and begins to drag him back.
    The guards, raise their crossbows and look on the verge of firing at her but, seeing her trying to take care of her fallen ally, let her move back with Vadok.

The captain, crossbow reloaded, looks at the situation developing, shakes his head. "This was not what we wanted but he was warned, as were you all. Gods! If you want me to believe... believe your not one of them and they did this to you, bring me the bodies of a few of those doppelgangers and we'll talk. And, I do mean a few. Too easy, if you're one of them, to give up your buddy here or another that may have already died. Otherwise, stay away or we'll shoot again."

Spoiler
    Show

Vadok lands halfway between the door and the barricade. The guards don't impede pulling him back but half keep their crossbows on Elia and the rest on the others.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

"Fair enough! The proposal accepted! Where are they and where are we allowed to go?" says Ebert popping his head into the corridor again "These two doors? North? Oh, and the quadruped is with me." he adds even though there is no quadruped visible to any of them at the moment.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

"As if you didn't know." he sneers in a nervous manner before regaining himself."Back the way you came or down the hall..." he says as he points north "... but keep away from those two doors." as he points to the two doors opposite the door you just entered the hallway through. "Good luck or go back to the hell that spawned you, as the case may be, but my guess its the second one."
    With that he hefts his crossbow up, not quite pointing at anyone in particular.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Hazel

"You chickens! It's if we don't come back that you should be worried! You ain't got nothing! You'll want our help soon enough!" Hazel's outraged taunts fading as she wanders north already ignoring the crossbowmen at her back.

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    Hazel will wait briefly until someone else has tended to Varok, then saunter north leading the way. Give it a minute for everyone else to act though.