New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Razorback's Strange Aeons - In Search of Sanity

After Vadok is dragged outside, Ebert stands blocking the doorway so that he has another chance to reason with the half-orc should he remain violent after whatever healing might be applied to him. Meanwhile, Zapka, not waiting for anyone, sneaks north along the hallway and on, until she is either adjacent to a door or senses something animate.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth: 19 + 10 = 29
    Perception: 4 + 10 = 14

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

"Careful!" Elia hisses, motioning Lizbeth to aid the still-bleeding half-orc. "I've heard of Doppelgangers; they're not human but they can look it. That must be what that thing was downstairs. Those guards may have the right idea — assume anybody you meet is one."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

I can't heal other people 'til level 2, sorry.

I'm assuming my knowledge check passed for that bit of information, at least. (24 vs. DC 13, rolled in other thread)

"My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it."
    — The Dragon, to Grendel

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

"Don't come back without proof otherwise we'll pincushion you like your friend." the captain says and one of his men spit in your direction.
    After, Hazel meanders down the hall as Zapka follow but in a much more stealthy fashion.
    Broken lanterns and several battered doors line this cold, rubble-strewn hall.The hallway itself is is littered with trash and debris, with a thick layer of dust covering everything. The light of the lanterns from behind the barricade partially illuminates this area, along with the occasionally crash of lightning that can be seen from the windows above you. The further the two stray north, the harder it is to see.
    Elia, tending to Vadok, manages to stop the bleeding but he is still unconscious.

Spoiler: Hallway
    Show

Last edited by razorback; 2020-06-22 at 04:14 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Ebert still stands blocking the doorway in case Vadok is revived. He pops the head back in the corridor. Zapka is listening at one of the doors. Then, some time after, at another door. Then she sneaks further north, unaffected by lighting conditions. Eventually Ebert loses sight of her. She stops about 90 feet into the corridor, relaying what she sees and asking whether to proceed.

"Pincushion yourselves. We'll come back and forth as we see fit. I pretty much like it here in the courtyard near your nice camp and we have an unconscious person in here. That said, if you are against the doppels, I'd like to cast light on one of your bolts so that you can illuminate the targets further down this corridor. Just throw me a bolt and I will throw it back. It'll be shiny."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (a request, no modifiers applied): (1d20+10)[21]

Zapka's stealth: 19 + 10 = 29
    Zapka's perception: 4 + 10 = 14 (sounds behind the doors; footprints on the dust, near the doors or otherwise; things further down the corridor etc.)
    Last edited by u-b; 2020-06-22 at 12:55 PM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

"Don't come near us or our barricade and you can do whatever the hell ya want, including going back there. You can find a rock and use it, we're not giving you any weapons to use against us." the captain yells back.
    As Zapka move up, he hears a rustling behind one of the door but keeps moving.
    At the end of the hall, it opens into an open area. Most of this area has collapsed into a heap of dense gray rubble. The occasional clattering pebble makes it sound as though the mound is not entirely settled, and more rubble could collapse at any moment. Surviving doors lead off the hall to the west and east.

Spoiler: Zapka only
    Show

Last edited by razorback; 2020-06-23 at 03:25 PM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizbeth

Out of the corner of her eye, Lizbeth had watched the half-orc get his reward for impetuous aggressiveness. She bowed her head gracefully to the men behind the barricade.

"Of course, we will show you the truth of our selves in the blood of our mutual enemies. We..." she glances back. "I mean you no harm. For safety I will revive our comrade, and we will resolve this. Freedom bless your steps."

She raises the rose on her inner arm to her lips and a wave of healing energy washes out from her, crashing across the barricade along with her fallen ally.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Channel Divinity! (1d6)[5] healing to all within 30'. I'm hoping to be close enough to the barricade and archers that the healing energy touches them.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Vadok
    Half-Orc Inquisitor of Gorum
    AC: 15 HP: 1/10
    touch: 11, ff: 14, CMD: 15
    Conditions: -

Vadok opens his eyes, pierced by two crossbow bolts, and blood everywhere. He grunts and sit up in silence, ashamed by his rash actions and his lack of judgment. I am...sorry. The half-orc meddles with the bolts, but touching them lets him wince for a bit. He finally decides to bite down on his rope he pulled out. With a drawn out grunt, he pulls out the bolt, almost passing out from the pain again. Vadok decides to postpone the removal of the other bolt sticking out from between his ribs.

This display was disgraceful. He tries to stand up shakily, but sits back down in cold sweat. I thank you for aiding me, which god do you serve?
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-06-24 at 02:23 AM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

"Indeed, as we've just seen, a bolt is such a scary weapon. Speaking of which..." Ebert takes the bolt that Vadok has just pulled out of himself. It might or might not be in usable condition as far as precise shooting is concerned, but should be good to shoot from a crossbow "somewhere that way". Ebert casts Light on it and throws it behind the barricade in the most non-threatening manner he can. "...have your weapon back."

Ebert then pauses for some time, looking generally northwards, but not trying to actually see anything until Zapka appears next to one of the doors leading east. "This is probably moot now as the far end of the corridor and the door there leading west are mostly blocked by some unstable rubble. It could be possible to move through there, but likely too risky, so I guess nothing would come at us by that way. As to what we would come at - there's something animate behind that door leading east."

Ebert turns to Vadok. "They say they will ally with us if we bring some fresh doppel corpses as a proof we are not them. Good for you, hm?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Vadok's listed hitpoints are dated in both places they are listed, even if in different way.

@DM: Do the doors leading east require pulling or pushing to open them from our side?
    Last edited by u-b; 2020-06-24 at 02:00 AM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizbeth

Turning her back to the barricade, content that her actions have had their desired effect, the young priestess walks with calm steps over to Vadok. Without answering, she reaches out to take hold of the bolt and pulls firmly on it. The inside of her forearm has a dark purple birthmark in the shape of a rose with thorns over a path.

As the bolt pulls free, the symbol pulses and another wave of healing energy pours out. "I don't know. The Everbloom... something inside me whispers the name of Milani. I don't remember... anything... but I know what is right." She shakes her head as though to clear a fog, then looks up, her eyes bright with purpose.

"Let's go back down, I believe we may have unfinished business with the good doctor below."

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Vadok
    AC: 15 HP: 9/10

You - forgot - your deity? Vadok asks a bit exasperated. Whoever this Milani is, their work is appreciated. I will invoke my own lord now that I am standing again.

Vadok was a bit shaken in his beliefs, hoping his deity saw his bravery and failure not as a sign of fear. He held his own hand over the pink concave in his chest Lizbeth failed to close up. As Gorum decreed no fear of pain, Vadok firmly touched the area around the wound in a firm grasp, focussing his thoughts on the bloodshed and revenge he would have if these fools would not cave to their might.

Spoiler
    Show
    CLW(1d8+1)[5]

Last edited by Spore; 2020-06-24 at 12:51 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221

Chimera

At Lizbeth's suggestion, Elia looks around nervously. She didn't relish the idea of facing the doctor again. She wasn't physically afraid of her, not any more, but what were they to do, kill her through the bars? After denying not 10 minutes ago that they weren't all murderers? Elia didn't think she could stomach the smug look on the thing's face — or what it called a face — if they proved it right.

"There wasn't any other way out down there, was there?" she asks, and motions north. "I'm not sure if I want to meet more of her kind, but they said we'd need to kill several of them, so we'll probably need to head north anyway." They said. A bunch of strangers tell us to go kill, and here were go.
    — The Dragon, to Grendel

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

"A correction from Zapka. The corridor might continue on behind the rubble, she just could not see that far from where she was standing. As for the "doctor", who is caught below, I'd say we leave her alone until we know whether we need live specimen. Right now we seem to need some dead ones."

Spoiler
    Show
    The map stops at less than 90 + 60 feet, so I assumed that the way is blocked. If it just blocks Zapka's near-floor-level line of sight, how high is the rubble from the floor level and how much from the top of it to the ceiling? Also, while we are at it, did Zapka notice if the door there leading west opens into the corridor too and whether it appears sufficiently blocked by the rubble?

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Vadok

I am VERY sure they are fine with dead doppelgangers. Vadok says. Plus any reason I get to remove this buffoon's head is welcome in my books.

14. - Top - End - #224

Chimera

Elia nods. "Let's get away from these lunatics before they change their minds about shooting again." She begins moving the corridor that Zapka followed, pausing at the east-side doors to listen.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

(1d20+5)[7] perception; not sure if Zapka said anything about the sounds at the door.

— The Dragon, to Grendel

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Elia, moving forward, sneak up to the doors but doesn't hear anything.

Spoiler: Ghostfoot
    Show

How far along the hallway are you moving?

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Vadok

Despite having acted as a pin-cushion, Vadok flanks Elia. His god was one of battles, but he could not remember much more aside from his lover, his crazed, vile reckless lover. Let's get on with it.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

Hazel

Hazel has been pacing forward, perhaps halfway between the doors leading east and the rubble-choked room at the end of the corridor. As the other gather about the doors behind her she wanders back, blade at the ready. "Something in there?" she whispers.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

"Positive. Just have some care regarding who they might be." says Ebert not moving any closer and not bothering to whisper. Meanwhile, Zapka frees the position next to the door and assumes one next to the western wall directly opposite to the door.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

"Can't tell if you are acting or afraid to open the door." chides one of the guards from behind the barricade.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Vadok

Seeing the hesitating cowards, Vadok checks the door superficially, then opens it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Do you really need a "I open the door" post to proceed? This absolutely kills the pace.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Vadok, moving with conviction, pushes past the rest of the group and opens the door. As he does, a clay jar that had been leaning against the door rolls past him and crashes. From the jar comes a chlorine smell that contributes to the same smell wafting out of the room as the group can see fallen shelves and racks, its contents of jars and containers spilled everywhere. In the far corner one of the racks is leaned over slightly but the once clean cloths and blankets still remain stacked neatly on it, if a bit dusty.

Spoiler
    Show

Each room is 10ftx10ft in similar condition. While they smell and there are broken jars and glass containers everywhere, they can still be navigated.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

Hazel

"I thought there was supposed to be something in here?" says Hazel, covering her mouth & nose with her sleeve as she steps into the room to peer about, blade drawn.

Spoiler: Seeing you?
    Show
    Perception (1d20-2)[17]

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Vadok

Nothing but dust and refuse.
    Vadok curses. He has had enough, and opens every damn door on the floor slamming them open angrily, so they almost break on impact with the walls.
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-07-11 at 07:54 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Once the doors are open, Vadok looks about and, not seeing anything, proceeds to destroy the area. Hazel, a few steps behind with sword drawn, pokes about and notices in the corner a length of chain and something else metallic. As she draws close, Vadok's thrashing around causes one of the shelves to tumble, exposing a pair of monstrous insects to be exposed, snapping too as they look like they are awakened.

Spoiler
    Show

A pair of these are in the northern corner. Hazel can see that a small crevice going down has opened up in the floor at the base of the wall, which is where they are nesting.
    They are startled and the PC's get a surprise round, though only Hazel has seen the creatures.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Vadok

Degraded to squashing bugs. Vadok thinks as he takes a swing at the centipede.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[13]
    (2d6+6)[9]

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Hazel

"Ugh! Bugs!" exclaims Hazel in mild surprise. She stabs out at one, trying to keep it at a distance from her and stop them getting out the door.

Spoiler: rolls & status
    Show
    Misc: 5ft step as needed
    Standard: Rapier (1d20+5)[23] damage (1d8+4)[11]
    + Crit? (1d20+5)[21] damage (1d8+4)[9] = 20 total damage

+1 to attack roll if both threaten her (Pugnacious)

How big are these things?

Hazel Holt
    F CG Human (Chelaxian) Cavalier (Daring Champion), Level 1, Init 4, HP 13/13, Speed 30ft
    AC 19, Touch 14, Flat-footed 15, CMD 16, Fort 4, Ref 4, Will -2, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Rapier +5 (+1 BAB, +4 Dex) (1d6+4, 18-20/ x2)
    Dagger +5 (+1 BAB, +4 Dex) (1d4+4, 19-20/ x2)
    Chain Shirt Armour, Buckler (+4 Armor, +1 Shield, +4 Dex)
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 7, Cha 16
    Condition
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2020-07-11 at 06:26 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Zapka enters the room immediately after Hazel's exclamation. She positions herself to attack the bug(s). Ebert does not get involved at the moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    Zapka should start "next to the western wall directly opposite to the door", so, like, in B10. This would let her move in to F10 (assuming Hazel kills a bug; F11 otherwise).

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

As she sees the venomous creatures, Hazel lunges forward, catching it in the head as she drives her blade all the way through, tip piercing the towels behind it.
    Spinning, Vadok see the scene unfold and with extreme prejudice, cuts the second one in half, creature flailing for a moment before realizing its dead.
    Those in the hallway can here the guards snicker at the noises, hearing one say "Musta found a mirror." to the amusement of the others.
    As Hazel and Vadok check the hole leading down to see if anymore creatures are hiding, they notice a 10ft piece of chain, a set of manacles, a lanter full of oil, a hammer and three winter blankets. Under a bit of the debris caused by the hole wall collapsing is also a tarnished old silver necklace.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfoot View Post
    How big are these things?
    they were medium sized

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    Zapka should start "next to the western wall directly opposite to the door", so, like, in B10. This would let her move in to F10 (assuming Hazel kills a bug; F11 otherwise).
    I'll get him moved when I'm on a computer (posting from tablet).

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Vadok

Vadok scans the items and picks them up. He kneels in the dirt, searching for anything linked to the silver necklace. This might at least show us which kinds of people are held here. he says loudly, checking the necklace. He stuffs the manacles into his trousers, looking at the items again with vision of the arcane auras.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect Magic:
    Chains: (1d20+3)[6]
    Necklace: (1d20+3)[19]
    Manacles: (1d20+3)[15]

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Vadok, cleaning his weapon of the noisome gore from the creature, he bends down to check the things they found, pocketing a few items.
    Down the hall Elia hears what she thinks is the guards betting, one take the under on whether your doppelgangers or not, while another is making a bet on who he thinks will die out of your group first.

Spoiler
    Show

Map should be right now.