New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Zodi Plays: Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis (Crime Island Adventure)

It was an age where strength ruled.

Welcome to the next Zodi LP, wherein we tackle the patreon requested and winner of the last poll, Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis. An excerpt of the Ogre Battle saga, a sadly long dead RPG series that is honestly rather interesting. This is more of a tactics RPG in the same line as Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, though unlike that game it's got permadeath and more of an overarching story than just tons of missions to go out on. This is a relatively obscure game, and probably my favorite in the Ogre Battle series in general, so I hope you all like it.

As with all my LPs, we'll be updating every Monday and Friday...on the exception that the upcoming Monday will be skipped to get time for people to vote for things, because this game does have some degree of viewer participation! Gotta vote for stuff, which I'll go more indepthly into after the video link. Suffice it to say, even though this is a Game Boy Advance game, it's pretty complex. Also of note, this'll be my first time doing a voiced LP in like ten years, so please be patient with me as I blather endlessly about garbage. Also note this IS a tactics RPG, so videos may be longer than my typical 25 minutes. With all that said and done, let's begin...episode Zero.

Zodi Plays: Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis [0] An Introduction to Ogre

Video Length: 7:59

We're starting this off with a non gameplay video, so we can set about naming our protagonist and choosing some stuff for him via committee. But I like to think this small little intro is a good way to wet your palette, so to speak, with regards to what'll come next. We are a fresh faced, black haired youth who has just recently joined a noble family of some sort, the Loehar's, and has going off to war on a inconsequential, let vitally important, little island with his buddy Rictor. He is of course nervous and scared in that way where you're obviously trying not to be, and before our boat arrives we meet an aged wise woman who tells our fortune. The fortune will determine a good deal of things, which I'll talk about AFTER we've all made our decisions.

With that in mind, here's how we're going to do it. Since the six fates we can choose for our protagonista here are quite lengthy, I'm going to just list all the choices and YOU can post the ones you vote for, and I'll compile that all manually. As well, you can just throw out birthdays and I'll decide which one to use based on arbitrary reasoning. As for his name, my supports at Patreon have given me some good names for us to vote for, so we'll be doing that the traditional Straw Poll way. So without further ado...

Name This Boy!

Choose His Fate!:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bear Which Burden
    * Resolve
    * Truth
    * Sacrifice
    * Affection

Walk Which Path
    * Belief
    * Freedom
    * Wealth
    * Longevity

Design Which Plan
    * Strife
    * Wisdom
    * Hatred
    * Prosperity

Swear Which Oath
    * Purity
    * Revenge
    * Victory
    * Fruition

Share Which Vision
    * Sadness
    * Mercy
    * Bliss
    * Terror

Shape Which Future
    * Glory
    * Peace
    * Change
    * Control

So yeah. That's a bit of a short one today, but it's all in service of greater participation. It's the Ogre Battle tradition, one I'll not shy away from. Hope you're all ready for a hell of a boat trip, when all is said and done.

------

That said, if you're still chomping at the bit for video'd content, special shout out to DataNinka for going through effectively my entire Phantom Hourglass LP to find where the final treasure map was. Prepare for Bonus Video~

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass [#B] Last Stuff

As well, please note that the poll for the Zodi Game Awards 2018 has concluded. Furi is our winner, and in the coming days I'll be asking the patrons which character is their favorite from that so we can all vote on who gets the cool reward art!
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-01-04 at 08:28 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis (Crime Island Adventure)

Woo tactics game!

So hey everyone, I've been lurking these LPs on and off, but I figure it's about time I stepped out of the shadows and actually posted in the thread. Really looking forward to seeing some Ogre Battle; I never knew about it when it was new. I'm also partway through my own replay of War of the Lions, so it'll be nice to watch something different.

Looks like the default birthday 15th February? That's my birthday in real life! Well, time to pick some fortunes...

Spoiler: Fortune
    Show
    Bear Which Burden
    * Truth

Walk Which Path
    * Freedom

Design Which Plan
    * Wisdom

Swear Which Oath
    * Victory

Share Which Vision
    * Sadness

Shape Which Future
    * Peace
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis (Crime Island Adventure)

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    Woo tactics game!

So hey everyone, I've been lurking these LPs on and off, but I figure it's about time I stepped out of the shadows and actually posted in the thread. Really looking forward to seeing some Ogre Battle; I never knew about it when it was new. I'm also partway through my own replay of War of the Lions, so it'll be nice to watch something different.

Looks like the default birthday 15th February? That's my birthday in real life! Well, time to pick some fortunes...

Show
    Bear Which Burden
    * Truth

Walk Which Path
    * Freedom

Design Which Plan
    * Wisdom

Swear Which Oath
    * Victory

Share Which Vision
    * Sadness

Shape Which Future
    * Peace
    Woo! I hope you enjoy. Given you're playing the Lion War, you'll probably notice a fair few similarities between the two games. There's a reason I mistakenly thought this was a square game in video

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

And with time, will come a pithy way to introduce every video and distinguish it as your own.

"Well-dressed Young Man", "Dark-Haired Knight"... I'm loving these you-don't-know-their-name-yet/they-aren't-important-enough-to-have-one names already.

Well, as for Birthdays, mine's December 15th. And then fate picking. Let's see what the fortune cookie has to say.
    Spoiler: Was not actually random.
    Show
    >truth
    >longevity
    >wisdom
    >victory
    >mercy
    >peace

(I don't have a type... Honest)

Re: Phantom Hourglass Beedle. No card, just a 50% Discount for VIP-ness. I do enjoy that they took the backwardness of Beedle giving the best card first, and the pun of the complimentary card, to the logical conclusion.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bear Which Burden
    * Truth

Walk Which Path
    * Longevity

Design Which Plan
    * Wisdom

Swear Which Oath
    * Fruition
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought about saying victory, but having your goals met is more important. It's possible to "win" without actually achieving your aims, and to achieve your aims without "winning."

Share Which Vision
    * Mercy

Shape Which Future
    * Glory
    Gallery M Coloring - Instant download adult coloring pages for sale on Etsy!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Bear Which Burden
    * Truth

Walk Which Path
    * Belief

Design Which Plan
    * Wisdom

Swear Which Oath
    * Fruition

Share Which Vision
    * Mercy

Shape Which Future
    * Glory
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, a strategy game. I didn't get into these until long after the GBA was done.

Spoiler: Fates
    Show
    Bear Which Burden
    * Resolve
    * Truth

Walk Which Path
    * Belief
    * Freedom
    * Wealth
    * Longevity

Design Which Plan
    * Strife
    * Wisdom
    * Hatred
    * Prosperity

Swear Which Oath
    * Purity

Share Which Vision
    * Sadness

Shape Which Future
    * Change
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I've played a bit of the / a TO game for the SNES (or was it PS1?) But I didn't get too far. But I really like the FFTA games which I assume are somewhat similar, mechanics wise....
    I might stick around for this one so I'll do more than just ghosting... No, wait, what is the term again? Whatever. My not magic ball says...

Bear Which Burden
    * Affection

Walk Which Path
    * Freedom

Design Which Plan
    * Wisdom

Swear Which Oath
    * Fruition

Share Which Vision
    * Mercy

Shape Which Future
    * Peace
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I might stick around for this one so I'll do more than just ghosting... No, wait, what is the term again? Whatever.
    Lurking? Is that the one that you're thinking of?

10. - Top - End - #10

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Fate the Choosening
    Show

Bear Which Burden
    * Resolve

Walk Which Path
    * Freedom

Design Which Plan
    * Prosperity

Swear Which Oath
    * Victory

Share Which Vision
    * Mercy

Shape Which Future
    * Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Lurking? Is that the one that you're thinking of?
    Yes, thank you, but I was mostly joking (and sleepy). I wonder if I should think about my picks again but... As long as we don't end up being CE I don't care.
    "What's done is done."

12. - Top - End - #12

Yes, thank you, but I was mostly joking (and sleepy). I wonder if I should think about my picks again but... As long as we don't end up being CE I don't care.
    I can safely say, based on how this vote is turning out, we won't be Chaotic. Whether we'll be evil or not...well that's a fun question that we'll determine at a later date.

I'll explain more indepthly but Ogre Battle only has Lawful, Neutral, and Chaotic alignments. Being good or evil is determined by our actions, and there will be another vote In The Future that pretty definitively determines if we're evil or not. That's all I'll say.

Also it's really interesting to look at people's votes for the six fates. I'm definitely not silently judging you all for what you're choosing. And if I am it's mostly good since y'all are picking the good boy options.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Also it's really interesting to look at people's votes for the six fates. I'm definitely not silently judging you all for what you're choosing. And if I am it's mostly good since y'all are picking the good boy options.
    I was half considering putting in what I took as the worst fates and see if anyone called me out on it but.....

Also, to correct my earlier statement: I played through the very first (US) Ogre Battle for SNES once, but this one had a very different mechanic.... I think now I must have dabbled into Ogre Battle 64 (obviously, neither for the SNES nor the PS1 because it has 64 in the title it's definitely a Dreamcast game) going by screen shots.

And the actual Tactics Ogre looks... like the used the exact same engine as for FFT and only wrote a new plot. Just going by screen shots, so there might be more of a difference.
    "What's done is done."

14. - Top - End - #14

I was half considering putting in what I took as the worst fates and see if anyone called me out on it but.....

Also, to correct my earlier statement: I played through the very first (US) Ogre Battle for SNES once, but this one had a very different mechanic.... I think now I must have dabbled into Ogre Battle 64 (obviously, neither for the SNES nor the PS1 because it has 64 in the title it's definitely a Dreamcast game) going by screen shots.

And the actual Tactics Ogre looks... like the used the exact same engine as for FFT and only wrote a new plot. Just going by screen shots, so there might be more of a difference.
    I actually do not have the words to describe what an actual Ogre Battle game is like. They're honestly super weird, and...not great, from the looks of it. At the very least they're not for me.

The two Tactics Ogres are way more my speed, and...yeah Let Us Cling (the PS1 game that was original a SNES game before it was cancelled and ported to the PS1) is pretty close to Final Fantasy Tactics. The Tactics Ogre we'll playing, Knight of Lodis, is in no way coincidentally, similar to FFTA...to degrees, at least.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-01-05 at 11:09 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

I played the heck out of Knight of Lodis in GBA times. I take it we're not going to something silly like snapping a glitched-out super high stat character, right? The game doesn't like that.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I played the heck out of Knight of Lodis in GBA times. I take it we're not going to something silly like snapping a glitched-out super high stat character, right? The game doesn't like that.
    I've never played this game before, though I've seen it played! So...I can't promise we'll get anything super ridiculous or anything. But I'll do my best to show off as much of the game as I can.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

I tend to mostly play Paladins or the like in D&D-esque systems, so, that probably has some degree of influence over my choices.

18. - Top - End - #18

Oh hey, time for...a sand-which. eeehehehe.

A Taste Of: Pharaonic

Video Length: 18:36

Pharaonic, a dark souls style 2D game with an ancient Egyptian paint job! It's uh...bad. I try to be less harsh on it in video but no it's um....not good. It has some interesting ideas, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired and the animation is not even approaching acceptable! It's also suuuuper ugly holy ****. It's crazy how not good the models for people look in this. The environments look nice though.

Also ISHTAR IS NOT AN EGYPTIAN GOD!

------

More importantly, it's time for an update on polls! The six fates and the name of our plucky dark haired hero have been chosen! So Friday will begin the LP proper, as we dive into the adventures of GASTON, the knight of lodis.

As well, I've received wordwordwords from the patrons and thus now have a list of characters to vote on for Best Furi Character, so we know who gets to receive the 2018 Zodi Game Awards trophy.

Please vote for that here!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Oh dear. Are getting struck by the LPer curse?

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one struck at the name "Avaris".

Well, looks like the Irem Inscriptions aren't a real thing. So... that's good, at least. Also, apparently this pharaoh reincarnates like clockwork, basically every 14 or 15 years (if we average it all out). Impressive that this place is... basically ruled by a baby/toddler for, like, a third of its lifespan. And a teen for the rest. (I mean, I'm sure it's not averaging, but...)

Yeah, all in all, this game just looks kinda… clunky, from watching it. And not the best with the character models and stuff.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Also ISHTAR IS NOT AN EGYPTIAN GOD!
    To be fair, Sumer fell about 1,000 years before the Sea Peoples attacked Egypt, so in the context of the game, Ishtar might be seen in a similar way to how we view Norse deities today. So it's technically possible that those characters are worshipping Ishtar ironically because she's a cool ancient goddess. Right?

Not having played Dark Souls, I don't have much to compare the actual game to, but it did look pretty shaky. Like, what was up with the boss' hitbox??

Impressive that this place is... basically ruled by a baby/toddler for, like, a third of its lifespan. And a teen for the rest.
    I think the reincarnation thing might be a reference to the Sed festivals, which is basically a 30-year jubilee. The idea being that, if you've ruled for 30 years, it's time to step aside, let your kids take over, and enjoy your retirement as a living god. So I'm imagining that maybe the Red Pharaoh got himself reincarnated into an adult body each time, like an old pharaoh handing over power to their heir. Especially since it looks like human sacrifice is involved? So it's more like a 'reset button of eternal youth' rather than 'you're literally a baby again'.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2019-01-09 at 03:22 PM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

------

More importantly, it's time for an update on polls! The six fates and the name of our plucky dark haired hero have been chosen! So Friday will begin the LP proper, as we dive into the adventures of GASTON, the knight of lodis.
    Are you planning to use/show off the Deneb easter-egg? I expect you'll want to talk about it/show it at some point, but I know using it early on can make the early game much much easier.. and the Witch class needed for it gets obsolete later on, since it's one of the lower-level 'female caster' types.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair, Sumer fell about 1,000 years before the Sea Peoples attacked Egypt, so in the context of the game, Ishtar might be seen in a similar way to how we view Norse deities today. So it's technically possible that those characters are worshipping Ishtar ironically because she's a cool ancient goddess. Right?
    Unlikely. You don't tend to build shrines and statues to worship a god you don't believe in.

And if you did they wouldn't have actual magical power and significance like these do.

Extended Sig

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

I think the reincarnation thing might be a reference to the Sed festivals, which is basically a 30-year jubilee. The idea being that, if you've ruled for 30 years, it's time to step aside, let your kids take over, and enjoy your retirement as a living god. So I'm imagining that maybe the Red Pharaoh got himself reincarnated into an adult body each time, like an old pharaoh handing over power to their heir. Especially since it looks like human sacrifice is involved? So it's more like a 'reset button of eternal youth' rather than 'you're literally a baby again'.
    I guess that's fair. Though I think I like my way of thinking about it better, given that it seems like the sort of thing that would happen in that game.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Unlikely. You don't tend to build shrines and statues to worship a god you don't believe in.

And if you did they wouldn't have actual magical power and significance like these do.
    I... probably should have done all of that post in blue text. Sorry.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

It's not like there's any other female casters that can use Status spells, barring one of the hidden classes (though IIRC status spells in this game are pretty trash, aside from Deneb's special).
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I... probably should have done all of that post in blue text. Sorry.
    Nah, I respond to non-serious stuff as if it's dead serious all the time.

It's fun.

Extended Sig

27. - Top - End - #27

Not having played Dark Souls, I don't have much to compare the actual game to, but it did look pretty shaky. Like, what was up with the boss' hitbox??

I know you're being sarcastic but I ****ing love the idea of someone in a culture that has basically been rendered into myth because of human nature...doing the same to an even further ancient culture.

Just imagining hipster egyptians swinging around ancient ass swords talking about how they were born in the wrong era, they could have totally kicked Enkidu's ass and then Gil would be his friend.

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Are you planning to use/show off the Deneb easter-egg? I expect you'll want to talk about it/show it at some point, but I know using it early on can make the early game much much easier.. and the Witch class needed for it gets obsolete later on, since it's one of the lower-level 'female caster' types.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Nah, I respond to non-serious stuff as if it's dead serious all the time.

It's fun.
    This is called saving face *head pats*

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

I know you're being sarcastic but I ****ing love the idea of someone in a culture that has basically been rendered into myth because of human nature...doing the same to an even further ancient culture.

Just imagining hipster egyptians swinging around ancient ass swords talking about how they were born in the wrong era, they could have totally kicked Enkidu's ass and then Gil would be his friend.
    Now, see, that could be a fresh and hilarious take on this kind of stuff... it would just require some decent writing. I love this sort of stuff, not taking itself seriously and all that, but it definitely requires someone who knows what they're doing. That's the sort of stuff that could fall flat or be groan-inducing super easily.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

This is called saving face *head pats*
    Only when you do it.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2019-01-09 at 10:49 PM.

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one struck at the name "Avaris".
    Just picked up on this... y'all do know that Avaris was a real place, right? It's the Greek name for Hut-waret, a capital of Egypt during the 15th dynasty (during which time Egypt was run by foreign conquerors). It seems the native Egyptians saw the Avaris-based rulers as illegitimate, given that they expelled them in 1550 BC, so the game's presentation of a 'kingdom of Avaris' as a hostile power isn't entirely baseless.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair