New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Chortan's Guild: Episode 3: Twinkle Twinkle Flaming Meteor

Darshee Elazumin Dazeiros follows, saying "Ah, right. Not used to doors opening themselves... especially without magic..." Heading forward and towards the pointy end of the ship, considering a moment, then running slightly ahead, ducking underneath the floor, navigating via Ring of X-Ray Vision, and attempting to posses the icy beast before battle otherwise starts.

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, I think it's just standard waitlock. A few folks posted, but no world-interactions so the DM didn't post, then folks were waiting for others to post and/or something to change before posting themselves....

But yes, I'll be attacking him from the other side of the floor. Malevolence, Will DC 31. If I fail... I'm still on the other side of the floor, which makes me somewhat hard to target back. If I succeed... well, then I'm the golem's master for a little while, now aren't I?
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Casmer reaches out and finds the Ice Devil’s mind waiting, cold and calculating. After some casual banter for a moment and small talk, the Ice Devil reveals that it is A) not directly related to anything on the ship, B) came with the Retriever, and C) is attempting to find information on these accursed...screens is what he believes they’re called. Unfortunately everyone was already been dead and they weren’t equipped to find any information from the corpses, the Retriever being stuck outside while they attempted to find the information inside what they pieced together as the cockpit.

He ends by offering the human a deal, if only he wants to come in and finish the paperwork. The message drips with classic devil tactics, but it does appear to be a diplomatic solution to at least this portion of the ship.

As for Darshee under the steel she can feel the cold coming from the otherside mixed with something unexpected: heat. It definitely feels unpleasant on the other side as one ghostly hand brushes against the sole of a golem’s foot and an...almost ghastly apparition fights off the soul swap. Opening her senses reveals a tortured soul bound to each golem, in addition to the elemental mote used to animate it, as well as the sense that the source of the coldness within the room is in fact located within one of the chairs.
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

Your understanding is appreciated.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

Whether it be foolishness or curiosity, Casmar can't easily turn down an opportunity to learn more information. Whether it be about the Ice Devil and his Ice Golem entourage, or about the ship's previous inhabitants and whatever the Devil meant when he mentioned...screens.

Casmar will travel to the cockpit and hear out the Ice Devil's "deal." He will also transfer all of this information to each of the party members via his Telepathic Gift.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

The Ice Devil looks down at the ground and pauses for a few seconds, aware of the intrusion within it's current domain. For a moment it debates on what to do before it settles on using a portion of ice to write up a formal contract. A golem moved through the first set of doors, leaving the contract in between doors, and returning to wait. The Devil then sent to the brave human that the contract awaited.

Outside the first set of doors the cold could clearly be felt. Like with the doors leading up to this point they open automatically, albeit a bit slower than the others, and awaiting is a collection of sheets of ice. On each is common carved into it detailing the deal: the group will aid in recovering information and in exchange the Devil will return to it's own Lord. They're clearly magical but it appears to be in regards to the sheets themselves and not what's written.

Spoiler: Outside the doors
    Show
    DC 38 Perception Check to notice the haunt.

Make a DC 31 Fortitude Save for entering the square outside the second set of doors. Success negates (1d6)[6] Dexterity Damage.
    You also take (5d6)[20] Cold Damage, negated by your spell. However you feel icy fingers grasping at your feet. You don't feel like standing around is a good idea.
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

5. - Top - End - #95

Imp

Perception:(1d20+25)[42]
    Fortitude Save:(1d20+30)[35]

Casmar will use some of his rudimentary knowledge of law to check over the Contract, making sure everything is on the up & up, no fine print, etc. He will also make sure that his part of the deal is clearly laid out and fully entailed. What are the limits of his "assistance," as defined by the contract?

Profession (Barrister):(1d20+15)[29]
    Sense Motive:(1d20+15)[21]

EDIT: Having successfully identified the Haunt, Casmar will immediately escape it's Area of Effect and telepathically alert the rest of the team about it as well.

After having done so, Casmar will then attempt to use his Telepathic Gifts to communicate with the Haunt. There's a good chance that it was created when the Ice Devil attacked the station. It might have some information about both the Ice Devil, and the purpose of the station before the attack.

And having enough information to fulfill his side of the bargain before getting into said Deal with a Devil, sounds like a good strategy.

Diplomacy:[roll]1d20+25[/roll]

NOTE: Telepathic Gift allows for communication with anything regardless of language...so long as the creature has an INT of 1. It also allows me to know if any creature within 30 feet is communicating with Telepathy (though I can't listen in). This second effect should still be useful in telling me if the Ice Devil and the Haunt are telepathically linked, though.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-03-30 at 01:02 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

The spectral nymph considers things after getting so easily rebuffed, and thinks to herself OK then... when this guy comes to a fight, ignore anything that can be fought off via willpower. For now... I'll just wait and watch from here.

She keeps under the floor, and watches via X-Ray vision, carefully reading folks' lips to follow the conversation.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse View Post
    Diplomacy:
    The forums won't let you roll in an edit. You'll need to do that one in the OOC thread.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Colossus in the Playground

Heather taps her finger as she waits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

The contract is fairly straight forward and after a few minutes of skimming it you don't find anything necessarily wrong. Otherwise it's what was mentioned earlier: The Devil and Golems won't attack the group and will return to the fifth layer of Hell, Stygia, with the information contained within the ship. In exchange the group must somehow acquire said information, with the most probable source being the objects located where the Devil and Golems currently reside. You also get the feeling from all the frost that it's highly likely that whatever objects are inside the room are likely damaged.

The haunt in question first reveals itself by the icy grasp around your feet until you leave the area. When you reach out to it you can sense panic and shouting in the same language as the annihilator robot. Mixed within it is tortured cries of various races, as if reaching out to contact spirits is an imprecise art. The shouting was interrupted by an explosion and terrible screeching sound. Gasps of breath then joined the anguished cries that were clearly not part of the grasping hands that dealt the cold damage.
    New job, who dis?

9. - Top - End - #99

Imp

While the contract seems straightforward, Casmar knows better than to take everything at face value. He will accept the deal only if he can add the extra conditon that the Ice Devil must not indirectly cause harm to himself and his friends either during the deal or afterwards. Furthermore, he will attempt to negotiate the safety of the little goblin town in the surrounding area. If the Ice Devil is willing to agree to those terms, then Casmar will accept the amended contract.

Once that occurs, he will of course have to ask the Ice Devil to tone down the ice magic, and communicate to it that the drastically lowered temperatures may be damaging the machines. As such, it would be preferable if they leave the room while he and his team work on the machines.

Diplomacy: (1d20+25)[41]

Once that is taken care of, he will work to fix the machines and recover as much data from them as he possibly can.

Knowledge Engineering:(1d20+30)[47]

Of course, he will continually use his Telepathy to keep his team constantly updated on the situation.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-04-05 at 09:20 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Darshee can sense movement above as the Ice Golems move about the room after the Ice Devil mutters something. It appears the diplomatic approach to things is working. After a moment doors can be heard as they slowly open and the room at least feels like it starts to warm up, before the Devil confirms that they won't harm the group for as long as they remain on this mission, which includes up to them returning back to their superior with the information in question.

While they work on getting things ready Casmar gets the opportunity to confirm that the door to the south of the room is another automatic door, leading to two more, and that they remain open for as long as he waits there. In addition there is a secondary area that looks to be another bank of instruments and screens. You take the opportunity to familiarize yourself with things you've only had a passing knowledge of: learning which buttons turn on the array of devices, how to operate it, the complete lack of security that exists on it, and the at least consistency with the language. You can't exactly tell what it's for but you understand enough that it appears to be something the Devil was uninterested in.

When you get called in you find that the room is significantly warmer yet still cool, almost as if it was a typical winter afternoon in this region. The source of the cold is found in one of the chairs, a now burnt corpse that was staring out of a small crack to the outside world, and you start with that bank of instruments. Working counterclockwise you start tinkering away, slowly but surely disassembling and reassembling the thick metal covers for the banks so that you can at least get everything started. Overlooking the entire thing is one of the golems that moves to remain out of the way, the Devil and remaining two Golems having moved to the room above so that they remain out of the way while you work.

Eventually you manage to get the banks of instruments started. There's several flashing lights that look like warnings in the same language as before. Otherwise it looks like you've successfully completed the first step by getting everything running for now.
    New job, who dis?

11. - Top - End - #101

Imp

Casmar will continue to decipher the warnings and do his best to take over the ship's systems. Gaining access over those automatic doors could be useful. At any rate, once he has control over major ship systems, he will attempt to open up the ship's logs and security footage, which should hold the information that both he and the Ice Devil seeks. He will keep a wary eye over the icy corpse from which the cold originates, and attempt to identify what it is.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Not sure what knowledge check is needed for the identity of the ice corpse, but all of my knowledge checks are an equivalent +30 while in Archmage form.

Knowledge (anything):(1d20+30)[42]
    If it's a Spellcraft check instead, add a +10 to it.

Aside from that, I'm pretty sure I've made almost every roll that I can make for the repairs already, let me know if more skill checks are needed. Also, note that as an Aegis, I have Astral Repair as an at will spell like ability, so if I need to restore any mechanical equipment, it should be possible with a mix of magical might and engineering know-how.

12. - Top - End - #102

Do you need any help? Heather beams up.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

13. - Top - End - #103

Imp

"By all means, whatever assistance you can provide would be well appreciated. This is some complicated stuff, even for me!" Casmar responds over their telepathic link.

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse View Post
    "By all means, whatever assistance you can provide would be well appreciated. This is some complicated stuff, even for me!" Casmar responds over their telepathic link.
    Can you repeat what you see? Heather mind speaks.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

A game of Telephone begins as slowly and carefully messages are sent to Heather, pronunciations figured out if not necessarily the words at first. After the fourth message the group starts to work in sync as the mess of an unknown system is figured out enough to allow work to continue. After nearly half an hour from the time Casmar entered the room and got started on the repairs the work is finally done, complete with rudimentary understanding of the language the ship's owners spoke.

The ship itself was officially a scouting vessel for one of the nations closer to the Fullbright in Verces's Ring of Nations. It was sent to research the sun and check the potential construction of stations beyond Verces's Skydock throughout the system. The cargo, noticed by the inclusion of the annihilator robot, shows a different tale; one of potential terraforming of other areas so that they would be closer to the native's nation. There does appear to be ten terraforming robots listed with the rest of the cargo which could complete such a task if given enough time.

You look for potential control over the doors and don't find anything in particular. It appears that the only doors that are lockable are the rooms with beds in them (in between y'all and the gladiator robot), and the airlocks that lead outside. You do manage to turn off the alarms and restore lighting to a less emergency setting, however. In addition you manage to find a schematic of both the ship and the console itself and, after a couple minutes, successfully move the data to what you assume is a central location. A quick peek confirms that it at least looks like something easily removable that won't cause any sort of failure to the console.

Looking through the crash logs you manage to piece together that the Devil had nothing to do with it. While making a routine trip near Golarion a meteor managed to puncture the ship and most likely instantly kill the rest of the crew within the room. The ship then changed course and impacted something before coming to a rest shortly after. Most of the messages since then talk about a loss of power and structural integrity until one of them catches your eye: engine compromised, please repair within the next...4...hours.

The Devil stirs when you get the lights on and the warnings to stop. It sends to Casmar "It appears your task is complete. Please place the information on the console near the body and step away so that we may return and leave you two be." It makes a point to look towards the ground that Darshee was located at last when it references the number of group members. The golem in the room continued to watch the human work, seemingly making sure the deal is carried out.
    New job, who dis?

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

The corrupted nature spirit asks the party's telepath to relay to Casmar Well, it's your show. You're the one risking whatever forfeiture clauses are in the contract.

17. - Top - End - #107

Imp

Casmar will attempt to use Sense Motive to see why the Ice Devil wishes for him to step away. Barring any sort of duplicitous intent, he will do as he is contractually obligated to do. Before stepping away, he will check the integrity of the ship's engine, and will tell the Ice Devil as much before stepping away. Casmar does not intend to deceive or to renege on the deal. He just wants to make sure that he covers all of his bases and maintains the safety of himself and the group.

Sense Motive: (1d20+15)[25]

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

It appears for all intents and purposes that the Ice Devil simply wishes to retrieve the agreed upon information. The engine does indeed have about 4 hours before it reaches catastrophic levels and, piecing together what you know is inside the room, you can assume that the plasma ooze isn't supposed to be out and wrecking havoc on the metal within the room. If you really wanted to you could leave it alone and hope for the best but then you'd be directly responsible for any after effects. You remove what you can safely assume is a storage device and place it on the top left console's corner.

The Ice Devil doesn't seem to be rushing you as you confirm what needs to be done and instead waits until you're roughly fifteen feet away from the console in question. It approaches the console and seems to contemplate the small metal box, looking it over. It then nods once and sends to Casmar "A pleasure working with you." It then moves to the golems and grasps their hands in a loose circle before the group teleports away. A scan confirms that they are truly gone and you're free to continue on your business.

Now that you have a moment to appreciate it you can faintly hear the gladiator robot within the middle of the ship performing mock combat against foes that aren't there and the slight tearing of metal as the plasma ooze lashes out at it's former confines.
    New job, who dis?

19. - Top - End - #109

Imp

"Hmm, that's one problem dealt with." Casmar quips, as the Ice Devil vanishes. "Now we just have to stop this thing form exploding and taking out half of the continent with it," he states as he looks back at the monitor. Casmar will telepathically send out a message to the rest of the party before heading out. Call him crazy, but he doubts that the Plasma Ooze would be half as willing to listen to his attempts at Diplomacy. So he'll send the coordinates of the Plasma Ooze to the rest of the party, telling them to avoid the Gladiator Robot for now, as it doesn't seem to be quite as big of a threat. If they follow his coordinates, they should all be able to meet in the room right before the Plasma Ooze for whatever final battle preparations need to be made.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

The disguised spirit rolls her eyes and asks the Party's telepath to relay to Casmar "I did the scouting, and already described the area to everyone in detail. You could have simply suggested meeting up just outside the door to the strange ooze." She does go to the indicated area, though, largely ignoring walls and so arriving surprisingly early. On her way, she considers, and decides to hold off on buffs for now, keeping her prepared copies of Energy Resistance and Protection From Energy on hold until someone actually takes a hit, and we've got a better idea of what the beast does.

21. - Top - End - #111

Heather is eager to rely the message for the pretty nymph, before flitting on her wings to the meet up.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Easily enough the group either phases through the majority of the ship or walk outside, circle to the other opening, and reenter the ship. Like before the door slides open as the corporeal party members approach the door. The area in front has a circle painted in white, what Darshee and Casmar both recognize as leading down to the cargo hold. Walking over it fails to activate it as the group reconvenes near the door they know leads to either the ooze or the gladiator robot.
    New job, who dis?

23. - Top - End - #113

Imp

When it seems as though everyone is ready, Casmar will open the door.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    (1d20+18)[38]Oh nice, a nat 20!
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-04-27 at 12:56 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

The spectral nymph doesn't bother waiting and charges the ooze fearlessly, running straight up to it to hit it.

Spoiler
    Show

Init: (1d20+14)[20]

I'm going to find out if it can hit me. It would need magic to do so.
    Move: Hustle over to the beast.
    Standard: Corrupting Touch: [roll]1d20+15[/url] Incorporeal Touch for (14d6)[38] Fort DC 31 Half Supernatural Aging Damage

Note that if my move doesn't put it in reach, I'll just double-move instead.[/spoiler]

25. - Top - End - #115

Init (1d20+15)[34]

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

The door opens up to a mess of a room with metal strewn about the entire area. In the center is a giant ball of plasma actively lashing out at the surroundings, including out at the approaching ghost. Floating around it are semi-transparent oozes that shift as the door opens and begin to slowly drift through the air. With the approach of hostiles the debris lifts up as well, the air crackling with electricity.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Y'all have first round, but it does get some reactions. AOO versus Casmar and Darshee against Touch AC. It's Magical Electricity damage (specifically Destruction Sphere).
    Casmar Attack: (1d20+34)[51]
    Casmar Damage: [roll]21d6 + 46[/roll]

Darshee Attack: (1d20+34)[41]
    Darshee Damage: [roll]21d6 + 46[/roll]

I'll operate under the assumption that Darshee dips under when it hits versus triggering all of the attacks.
    Fort Save: (1d20+19)[39]
    New job, who dis?

27. - Top - End - #117

Imp

Spoiler: 1st Turn Actions
    Show

Move Action: Casmar will open the door, and take a 5ft step into the room
    Standard Action: Casmar will spend 3 power points to change his feat from "Extra Combat Talent: Mass Challenge" to "Extra Combat Talent: Close Combat Specialist"
    Swift Action: Casmar will use Defender's Oath against the Plasma Ooze, giving it a -3 penalty to attacks and ability DCs not including him as a target, and giving himself +7 damage vs the Ooze.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

For a couple seconds the ooze seems to ponder the approach of two others, lashing out quickly at one that actually opts to continue it's movement and sizing up the one that seems to hesitate. The debris within the room then begins to move before sheets of metal and metalic dust lash out at everything. Oozes are split in twain by sheets of metal as they drift down to graze against the intruders and into the hallway beyond while the lash of iron dust snaps against the one that stepped into the room, discharging a blast of electricity at the same time it makes contact.

Spoiler: Plasma Ooze Actions
    Show
    Telekinesis HOOOOOOO!
    To confirm that it hits the oozes: (7d20)[6][17][12][19][16][15][18](103)
    Casmar Attack (vs Normal AC): (1d20+36)[56]
    Casmar Damage: (9d6+13)[42] Slashing, (21d6+46)[116] Electricty

Spoiler: Jellies Actions
    Show
    3 harmlessly bap into Darshee.
    5 Touch Attack Casmar.
    4 Touch Attack Heather.

Casmar Attack 1: (1d20+13)[29]
    Casmar Damage 1: (4d6)[14] plus 1 Charisma Damage, DC 25 Fortitude Save to half damage and ignore charisma damage.
    Casmar Attack 2: (1d20+13)[28]
    Casmar Damage 2: (4d6)[15] with the same save and everything
    Casmar Attack 3: (1d20+13)[26]
    Casmar Damage 3: (4d6)[16] with the same save and everything
    Casmar Attack 4: (1d20+13)[24]
    Casmar Damage 4: (4d6)[11] with the same save and everything
    Casmar Attack 5: (1d20+13)[24]
    Casmar Damage 5: (4d6)[11] with the same save and everything

Heather Attack 1: (1d20+13)[24]
    Heather Damage 1: (4d6)[11] with the same save and everything
    Heather Attack 2: (1d20+13)[25]
    Heather Damage 2: (4d6)[8] with the same save and everything
    Heather Attack 3: (1d20+13)[26]
    Heather Damage 3: (4d6)[13] with the same save and everything
    Heather Attack 4: (1d20+13)[22]
    Heather Damage 4: (4d6)[21] with the same save and everything
    New job, who dis?

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

The corrupted nature spirit hears the relayed telepathic call, and so - keeping a nice thick metal floor between herself and the current opponent - rushes over to drop a Heal spell on Casmar, as she quietly whispers to him "You're not joining me today... I'm not ready to catch you, yet..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Get over to Casmar.
    Standard: Heal spell. From under cover. Have a nice 140 HP healing, Casmar. Also gets rid of ability damage, in case you needed that Charisma back (not drain, though).

30. - Top - End - #120

Imp

With the aid of his ghostly companion, Casmar recovers from the ooze's vicious assault. After an attack like that, Casmar realizes that his group doesn't have the luxury of playing things safely, and decides to go all out on his next attack!

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Free Action: Quick Change (Guardian --> Archmage) 6/9

Standard Action: Barrage *Expending Martial Focus*
    Attack 1: (1d20+27)[36]
    Damage 1: (3d8+21)[32]
    Attack 2: (1d20+27)[45]
    Damage 2: (3d8+21)[38]
    Attack 3: (1d20+27)[28]
    Damage 3: (3d8+21)[33]
    Attack 4: (1d20+27)[32]
    Damage 4: (3d8+21)[31]
    Attack 5: (1d20+27)[32]
    Damage 5: (3d8+21)[28]

Assuming that the first attack hits, then add +2 to hit for all subsequent attacks and the following for damage:

Linked Striking 2: (2d6+2)[7]
    Linked Striking 3: (2d6+2)[11]
    Linked Striking 4: (2d6+2)[9]
    Linked Striking 5: (2d6+2)[4]

Free Action: 5 ft. step closer to the Ooze (~20 feet away now, IIRC)

Move Action: Stellar Stompers Chakra Bind
    Damage: (6d6)[24] in a 30 ft AoE
    Reflex Save DC: 24 for half.

Swift Action: Stellar Stompers Chakra Bind
    Damage: (6d6)[21] in a 30 ft AoE
    Reflex Save DC: 24 for half.

Free Action: Quick Change (Archmage --> Guardian) 5/9
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-05-06 at 03:55 PM.