New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XV: This is my Thu'um Stick

In honor of the new thread, let me be the first to complain about the lack of immersive chainmail mods out there. Ive found something like two that actually look like real armor, and the rest are either all fetish wear or don't have a clue what chainmail is supposed to look like (or both).
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I mean given the prevalence and sheer awesome power of Archers, plus the lack of insulation, I wouldn't want to be caught dead in Chainmail. Also the Nord Hauberk from Immersive Armors is the best I've seen.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    I mean given the prevalence and sheer awesome power of Archers, plus the lack of insulation, I wouldn't want to be caught dead in Chainmail. Also the Nord Hauberk from Immersive Armors is the best I've seen.
    Yeah, that's the one im using right now. Also, while yeah, archers suck for anything less than plate armor, hide and leather which 90% of all of Skyrim's non-plate is made of is not going to improve that situation.

Also, chainmail was still typically worn over a gambeson for padding, so its not like it would be cold.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

I mean given the prevalence and sheer awesome power of Archers, plus the lack of insulation, I wouldn't want to be caught dead in Chainmail.
    Well, you'd not be caught alive in it for very long.

I would love an armored version of the fancy noble clothing. In fact, I should go look to see what's available. Would be cool running around like a Jarl King Arthur with Dawnbreaker.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

6. - Top - End - #6

I am reminded of David Eddings The Elenium, where the Gendian Knights of Thalesia wore chain, instead of plate like most knights. When asked why, they reply that there are enough rivers that they wanted armor they could get out of in a hurry (i.e. before they drowned).
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Manual install of the Unofficial patch is quite literally just extract to data folder. It's all in a couple files so you can just drop it in place without a mod manager.
    So, how exactly should I go about doing this? I mean, downloading the unoffical patch I understand, but where in the game folders should I put the unofficial patch for it to be applied?
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    So, how exactly should I go about doing this? I mean, downloading the unoffical patch I understand, but where in the game folders should I put the unofficial patch for it to be applied?
    Navigate to the Skyrim folder, and there should be one called Data. Most main mod files go in there.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Or, of course, you could use a different mod manager, such as Wrye Bash, which handles installing most mod packages natively.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

So I went onto nexus mod manager and it seems the hearthstone unofficial patch has been deleted. Because of course it has.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think the unofficial patches have been folded into the Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch (or Special Edition Patch, depending on which version you're using).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ogremindes View Post
    I think the unofficial patches have been folded into the Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch (or Special Edition Patch, depending on which version you're using).
    And if we're not playing with the Legendary Edition, would that patch still work?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

All Legendary Edition Patch is, is the multiple patches combined into one file.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly immersive armors is not a strength of Skyrim. They've always looked more fantastical to me, even when you ignore the odd chainmail bikini. With Arena and Daggerfall basically just outlining the character sprite in non-flesh colors, in Morrowind, a majority of the armors were used to display the alien nature of dark elves (glass armor, chitin armor, daedric armor). Oblivion and Skyrim just kept a majority of said alien armor types.

Personally I would have been more fond of better stated "barbaric" light and heavy armor (Stahlrim looks f-ugly).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    And if we're not playing with the Legendary Edition, would that patch still work?
    If you're playing the old Skyrim with all three main DLCs (Dragonborn, Dawnguard, and Hearthfire), you qualify for the Legendary Edition, even if you bought them piecemeal.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Honestly immersive armors is not a strength of Skyrim. They've always looked more fantastical to me, even when you ignore the odd chainmail bikini. With Arena and Daggerfall basically just outlining the character sprite in non-flesh colors, in Morrowind, a majority of the armors were used to display the alien nature of dark elves (glass armor, chitin armor, daedric armor). Oblivion and Skyrim just kept a majority of said alien armor types.

Personally I would have been more fond of better stated "barbaric" light and heavy armor (Stahlrim looks f-ugly).
    Morrowind's whole aesthetic was the best. It was so fantastical and otherworldly, oblivion and especially skyrim have just felt so bland. I cannot wait for skywind to come out if it ever does

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by plungerhorse View Post
    Morrowind's whole aesthetic was the best. It was so fantastical and otherworldly, oblivion and especially skyrim have just felt so bland. I cannot wait for skywind to come out if it ever does
    That's because when they made Morrowind, they drew on sources that weren't "Generic European Medieval Fantasy" and "Generic European Medieval Fantasy (But From A Different Part Of Europe)." They looked at stuff like Arabic and Egyptian designs, and it's brilliant.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Honestly immersive armors is not a strength of Skyrim. They've always looked more fantastical to me, even when you ignore the odd chainmail bikini.
    It's the fur bikinis that bother me most. These people spend all day standing pretty much stationary in a 24 hour blizzard, and they wear "armour" that leaves 60% of their flesh exposed?

It's not as if there's a shortage of fur. There's more wild animals per acre in Skyrim than in the average zoo.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    It's the fur bikinis that bother me most. These people spend all day standing pretty much stationary in a 24 hour blizzard, and they wear "armour" that leaves 60% of their flesh exposed?

It's not as if there's a shortage of fur. There's more wild animals per acre in Skyrim than in the average zoo.
    Not really sure how the 100/75/50% cold resistance of Nord play into this. I was always assuming they could literally sleep naked in a heap of snow and not catch a cold.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post

Not really sure how the 100/75/50% cold resistance of Nord play into this. I was always assuming they could literally sleep naked in a heap of snow and not catch a cold.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The nords, maybe. But the poor dunmer must be dying. Theyre used to sleeping in volcanos, not snow banks.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The nords, maybe. But the poor dunmer must be dying. Theyre used to sleeping in volcanos, not snow banks.
    Didn't the Altmer have penalties to cold resistance at one point? Morrowind and Oblivion, at least?
    The Cranky Gamer

23. - Top - End - #23
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

The point of armour is to protect your flesh from sharp metal pointy things, not the cold.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Didn't the Altmer have penalties to cold resistance at one point? Morrowind and Oblivion, at least?
    Not sure but the ice statues in the Dawnguard temple area speak VOLUMES!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Also to Fire and Shock resistance. -50% in Morrowind, -25% in Oblivion. Morrowind also included a -50% Magicka resistance penalty.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Also to Fire and Shock resistance. -50% in Morrowind, -25% in Oblivion. Morrowind also included a -50% Magicka resistance penalty.
    Theoretically, this was fluffed as a vulnerability to magical attacks. Altmer were such fundamentally magical creatures that they really struggled to shrug off magical attacks. As opposed to the nords and dunmer, who were just so innately resistant to their otherwise hostile environments that it spilled over into resisting artificial forms of it as well.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Challenge run: play Morrowind as an Altmer with the Apprentice birth sign. See how long you can survive.
    Last edited by Celestia; 2019-01-05 at 03:42 PM.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Challenge run: play Morrowind as an Altmer with the Apprentice birth sign. See how long you can survive.
    Nowhere near as suicidal as it would be in the later games, seeing that weakness to magicka only mattered for a few spell effects in MW, with absorb/damage/drain health being the only direct damage ones being boosted by it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

There's a mod I use that gives cold weather an effect on your character, up to the point of killing them if they stay in the cold too long. Nords definitely have a huge resistance to the cold in that mod, but not to the point of staying in the snow naked. XD

I think it's the only way to make fur armor useful in that game, actually.
    Last edited by Resileaf; 2019-01-05 at 04:14 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    That's because when they made Morrowind, they drew on sources that weren't "Generic European Medieval Fantasy" and "Generic European Medieval Fantasy (But From A Different Part Of Europe)." They looked at stuff like Arabic and Egyptian designs, and it's brilliant.
    huh i never really picked up on egyptian/arabic influences. then there's also stuff like the mushroom towers... haha. that's interesting, i'll have to go back and take a look! But yeah, "Generic European Medieval Fantasy" is about as played out and overdone as you can get at this point in time.