New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XV: This is my Thu'um Stick

Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    Seeing how 4 of Daggerfall's endings were "This side destroys its rivals and gains control over the entire Illiac Bay", I'm not sure why that scenario was more resolvable via Dragon Break than Skyrim's civil war is.
    From what I understand of the Warp In The West, weren't there also umpteen petty princedoms and chiefdoms that also got sublimated into the surviving factions, losing in every version of the ending? The Civil War doesn't really have those elements. A Dragon Break would be a needlessly complicated way of resolving a fairly binary choice.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    (Unless they have it that the "peace" negotiated by the Greybeards in the event you don't resolve the civil war before going after Alduin somehow holds after the point Alduin is defeated, which would almost be more unlikely than a dragon break).
    Not going to lie, if I thought some long-term good actually came out of that horrible quest I'd be all for it, unlikely or not. I hate Season Unending.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

My guess is that the outcome of the civil war simply isn't that big a deal to people outside Skyrim. In the next game all the talk will be about what's going on in Hammerfell, and the only time Skyrim gets mentioned will be as one of many factors that keeps the Empire too preoccupied to take any interest in that country.

For the next game after that, if any, they'll wind the clock forward another 200 years or so, to when no one will even remember the names of Ulfric or Tullius.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

I expect to find that there was a riot to overthrow the Thalmor and that Skyrim is now a semi-autonomous province the same way as Morrowind was. But that's just me.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Did anyone have the bug that it was simply impossible to pick locks after switching a few mods and going to SKSE (Special edition)?

6. - Top - End - #306
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Civil war will be either

THEY BOTH HAPPENED (like, the imperials won, but then the stormcloaks resurfaced and won, and then the imperials reinvaded, and it ends up looking like the crusades where there's like, nine of them)

Or, the civil war is blown out by -bigger war that subsumes the result of the great war-
    IE
    Akavir invasion
    Falmer invasion
    The dwemer came back, and wrecked everything
    Skyrim got nuked because the throat of the world was actually a volcano all this time, wrecking everything
    The Bretons or some other neighbor invaded and wrecked everything
    A daedric prince showed up and wrecked everything
    the great famine/freeze/storm wrecked everything
    The atmorans invade and wreck everything
    The king of worms or something such rises again and wrecks everything.
    The thalmor killed all the magic towers and wrecked everything.
    That orb you found in sargoth that the Psyjics took? Skyrim needed that, you wrecked everything.
    A redguard in skyrim rediscovers the atomic sword technique, with his curved sword, and wrecks everything.
    The Developers cite CHIM, wrecking everything.
    All the witches curse all the nords, causing them to stand outside towns naked with no escape, wrecking everything
    Some dude sticks the skeleton key into his ear, or the ground, unlocking the universe and wrecking everything.
    The sload sink tamriel.
    Nerevar, exploiting his spell making mechanics, casts a spell, wrecking everything.
    alduin showed up and ate the world, so the new game's in the new world.

Am I missing anything?
    Last edited by The Jack; 2019-01-19 at 07:11 PM.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Jack View Post
    All the witches curse all the nords, causing them to stand outside towns naked with no escape, wrecking everything
    That one's my favorite.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Am I missing anything?
    Vampires get hold of Auriel's Bow, wrecking everything.
    The Dragonborn creates a new Shout that causes the whole of Skyrim to sink into the sea/summons Alduin back/buries Skyrim under 10 metres of snow, wrecking everything.
    The daedric princes fighting for the Dragonborn's soul inspire their followers to violent insanity all over the country, wrecking everything.
    The Forsworn wreck everything, just for spite.
    Turns out Durnheviir was lying about not being able to leave the Soul Cairn. He raises an undead army and wrecks everything.
    Realising that "invading" is costly, dangerous and downright stupid, the Thalmor simply nuke the province.

Really, it's pretty amazing the country has lasted so long among so many dangers.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Vampires get hold of Auriel's Bow, wrecking everything.
    This could have the most interesting implications for the series going forward. After the events of Dawnguard, your vampire PC is slowly (or swiftly; who knows the effects a defiled Aedric artifact could have on someone) corrupted by power and leads a vampiric assault on Skyrim. Assume the temporary truce is canon, and the region is brought together longer by the vampire threat.

Having the vampires ultimately win at least a partial victory could be pretty cool. Haafingar becomes a bastion of the undead, with an uneasy peace formed between a realm of eternal night, encompassing the largest city in Skyrim, and the rest of the province which now has to be on constant alert for hostilities from the new Volkihar held lands.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Awwwwww! It was going so well! I joined the stormcloaks and got the Jagged Crown. But now! NOW! I have to do Bleakfall Barrow before I can progress with the siege of Whiterun!
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

So? Oh no, dragons. Sounds terrible. Maybe you should hire a guy. Maybe the legendary Orkin man.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    So? Oh no, dragons. Sounds terrible. Maybe you should hire a guy. Maybe the legendary Orkin man.
    I was hoping to do the stormcloaks civil war exclusively. Avoid all other quests until Ulfric had won. Guess they want everyone to do that first dungeon crawl no mater what.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    I was hoping to do the stormcloaks civil war exclusively. Avoid all other quests until Ulfric had won. Guess they want everyone to do that first dungeon crawl no mater what.
    I believe that the Civil War has a few lines of dialogue at the end referencing you as Dragonborn, so you need to have discovered that first.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I believe that the Civil War has a few lines of dialogue at the end referencing you as Dragonborn, so you need to have discovered that first.
    Also it's probably a lot more convenient if they only have to do voice lines for one Jarl to send you to handle that dragon at the tower.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Also it's probably a lot more convenient if they only have to do voice lines for one Jarl to send you to handle that dragon at the tower.
    I guess...

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Ulfric comments that letting the dragonborn do the finish will make a better song. Don't remember the other side.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Ulfric comments that letting the dragonborn do the finish will make a better song. Don't remember the other side.
    When the Empire wins and everyone is trying to figure out who to kill Ulfric, he says let the Dragonborn kill him for the better song.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

So, having recently found out that the original version of Skyrim is still on Steam if you know where to look, I've been considering taking the plunge again after a few hundred hour binge on console back in 2012/13. Since then I have developed a fondness for proper RPGs, mastery-based, melee combat systems such as Dark Souls and For Honor, and cut my teeth on modding with New Vegas. Therefore, I'm looking to head down the path of modding the hell out of Skyrim, and would seek your advice on the matter. Firstly, on the technical end, how well do Workshop mods get along with mods from external sites, and is there a go-to mod manager, as there is for Fallout 3 and New Vegas? As for mods, graphics have never been a major concern for me, and I don't feel the need to dive into quest, equipment or companion mods just yet. Primary focus #1 is character progression. I'm looking to change the emphasis from mastering ALL THE SKILLS to developing a chosen playstyle over time, or to put it more bluntly, a mechanical reason to have more than one character. The other point of focus is combat. If I were to sum up my preferences for combat in a word, it would be "painful". High-risk, unforgiving of mistakes, demanding of your attention, and leaving you feeling absolutely battered even after walking away victorious. If anyone has knowledge of mods that accomplish these things, I would gladly hear of them. Thanks in advance for your time.
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

The Enai Siaion package has what you want. Wildcat for harder combat, Ordinator for skill overhaul, and Apocalypse for spells. Imperious (races), Andromeda (star stones), and Wintersun (religion) are also good.

If you're playing Legendary Edition instead of SE, Perkus Maximus is another good skill overhaul to try out.

ASIS makes combat a little harder too (enemies use potions and stuff). Revenge of the Enemies and High Level Enemies ramp things up too. In conjunction with those, Dodge Mod and Mortal Enemies (they have less insane tracking and overly wide swing arcs on attacks) make dodging and weaving another tactical combat option.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Ordinator with Wildcat. Punishingly hard combat but with a set of abilities you can use to mitigate it some.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a comment in Ulfric's speech at the end too. "I am indeed Ulfric Stormcloak, and at my side the man/woman we know as Stormblade, and the world knows as the Dragonborn. And indeed, there are many that call us heroes.[...]"

22. - Top - End - #322
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by RagingKrikkit View Post
    So, having recently found out that the original version of Skyrim is still on Steam if you know where to look, I've been considering taking the plunge again
    Um, why? What's wrong with Special Edition?

23. - Top - End - #323
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

It's murder on an older PC

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Um, why? What's wrong with Special Edition?
    It's murder on an older PC
    The primary motive was penny pinching with a touch of disdain for Bethesda re-releasing the game every other year, but after double-checking the DLC prices, it turns out that the new edition is in fact the less costly option.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    The Enai Siaion package has what you want. Wildcat for harder combat, Ordinator for skill overhaul, and Apocalypse for spells. Imperious (races), Andromeda (star stones), and Wintersun (religion) are also good.

If you're playing Legendary Edition instead of SE, Perkus Maximus is another good skill overhaul to try out.

ASIS makes combat a little harder too (enemies use potions and stuff). Revenge of the Enemies and High Level Enemies ramp things up too. In conjunction with those, Dodge Mod and Mortal Enemies (they have less insane tracking and overly wide swing arcs on attacks) make dodging and weaving another tactical combat option.
    Ordinator with Wildcat. Punishingly hard combat but with a set of abilities you can use to mitigate it some.
    I did some research of my own, and those are probably going to end up on the list, probably along with Vigor. For reference, this is how my New Vegas reacts to bad decisions.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

That seems fairly vanilla honestly.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps, I don't make enough of a habit of throwing grenades at my feet to be sure. My combat suite is primarily made up of the Project Nevada core for the crosshair and backpedaling with Solid Project for the sprint function, Realistic Weapon Damages with Unforgiving Combat, More Realistic Aiming, Real Recoil and Realistic Reloading, a couple AI changes, and a reanimation pack. And while that's neither here nor there for this thread, perhaps it illustrates what I'm looking for. I'm not after le realism, but something that makes combat, for lack of a better term, suck just enough to get you interested in alternatives.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Did anyone have the bug that it was simply impossible to pick locks after switching a few mods and going to SKSE (Special edition)?
    Can anyone help?

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Can anyone help?
    I had a problem of getting any mods to become active in my game. Still have that issue.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Can anyone help?
    As soon as you involve mods, things get tricky. Without knowing which mods are involved, its hard to say where the bug comes from, and even then your only recourse might be to enable and disable mods systematically to find whichever one is causing it.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    As soon as you involve mods, things get tricky. Without knowing which mods are involved, its hard to say where the bug comes from, and even then your only recourse might be to enable and disable mods systematically to find whichever one is causing it.
    And in the worst cases, that particular save file is corrupted and you'll have to restart a new game.