New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XV: This is my Thu'um Stick

Quote Originally Posted by The Jack View Post
    On the higher end of things, it differs greatly.

In oblivion/skyrim, little is over 10k, whilst in morrowind, rarer armours and artifacts regularly go beyond 10k and can't be sold for any reasonable price. I believe the most expensive items in morrowind are 400,000 but generally a daedric artifact is going to be between 50-150k, whilst in oblivion the top item is a little over 20k. In skyrim, given how you can abuse crafting, it's a little hard to judge, but I don't think you'll go beyond 30k.

Price of Ebony armour
    morrowind; 133000
    oblivion 5550
    Skyrim: 3550

Now, the morrowind price here includes two shields I think, but that price difference is so big that I don't think it matters.
    I would argue that the smaller prices in future games is gameplay mechanics more than actual price changing. The rare armors were so valuable, no player ever sold them because they would only find vendors with maximum 2k-3k gold available, and so would never be able to get more than 10% the value of the most valuable artifacts. So they'd get a cluttered inventory full of weapons they never use and no one to sell them to.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Could've been solved by a few more elite merchants that are willing to buy expensive items from you.
    Maybe a courier could've tried to arrange a deal for added coolness.

Of course,now that I think about it; skyrim has this issue where everything's very low powered compared to morrowind. There's nobody like Fyr or Vivec, honestly even the greybeards seem like they'd be pushovers. Vivec city is bigger and more majestic than anything in skyrim and for mournhold you're in the equivalent of the vatican and it's still bigger than any city skyrim has to offer. Morrowind's canton/forts seemed excessive, whilst skyrim's forts are almost universally dilapidated. Only ancient nords/Dwemer seem to approach anything found in morrowind.

In morrowind you've got House nobles with grandoise living spaces in their own wizard mushrooms or hallowed out giant crabs, I mean the bloody ordinators have ebony maces as standard issue; you can fully believe that someone's there ready to splash out on an artifact. In skyrim the 'high king' looks like he rented the place: Nobody has money.

Oblivion's the middle road but level scaling is such a thing that you can't really judge.
    Last edited by The Jack; 2019-01-25 at 08:20 AM.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Dwarf in the Playground

Could've been solved by a few more elite merchants that are willing to buy expensive items from you.
    Maybe a courier could've tried to arrange a deal for added coolness.

Of course,now that I think about it; skyrim has this issue where everything's very low powered compared to morrowind. There's nobody like Fyr or Vivec, honestly even the greybeards seem like they'd be pushovers. Vivec city is bigger and more majestic than anything in skyrim and for mournhold you're in the equivalent of the vatican and it's still bigger than any city skyrim has to offer. Morrowind's canton/forts seemed excessive, whilst skyrim's forts are almost universally dilapidated. Only ancient nords/Dwemer seem to approach anything found in morrowind.

In morrowind you've got House nobles with grandoise living spaces in their own wizard mushrooms or hallowed out giant crabs, I mean the bloody ordinators have ebony maces as standard issue; you can fully believe that someone's there ready to splash out on an artifact. In skyrim the 'high king' looks like he rented the place: Nobody has money.

Oblivion's the middle road but level scaling is such a thing that you can't really judge.
    For what it's worth, Tribunal did add a museum willing to pay you up to (I think) 30,000 drakes per 'donation' (or 10% of its estimated value, whichever came first). It's still basically stealing from you in many respects, but for top tier clutter you never use you could do worse. Like spending half an hour haggling over the price of every item in the shop to get your money's worth for one item. I mean, at that point, what are you even going to spend 30 grand on anyway? The local beggars? (oh god please no, not after what happened with the last one).
    Avatar by the lovely and talented Linklele

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Talion View Post
    For what it's worth, Tribunal did add a museum willing to pay you up to (I think) 30,000 drakes per 'donation' (or 10% of its estimated value, whichever came first). It's still basically stealing from you in many respects, but for top tier clutter you never use you could do worse. Like spending half an hour haggling over the price of every item in the shop to get your money's worth for one item.
    Yeah, I mentionned something like that in the previous thread. You keep your uber artifacts because no one will spend the money it's worth, but it's not like you're ever going to spend that money on anything either.

Quote Originally Posted by Talion View Post
    I mean, at that point, what are you even going to spend 30 grand on anyway? The local beggars? (oh god please no, not after what happened with the last one).
    Oh god no

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Yeah, I mentionned something like that in the previous thread. You keep your uber artifacts because no one will spend the money it's worth, but it's not like you're ever going to spend that money on anything either.
    Well, that's why the addition of housing and mannequins is so nice in Skyrim: You don't sell your awesome but useless gear, you used it to decorate your pad.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Just encountered a HILARIOUS bug in my current game. I just got done fighting a dragon, got overencumbered and was about to walk back to Whiterun, used the Whirlwind Sprint shout in it's entirety as I was stepping off a ledge. Not only did I dash the full amount, but for the next 20 seconds or so, I was moving INCREDIBLY fast speed no matter which direction I was trying to walk. The speed was gradually decreasing over time and I eventually returned to Overencumbered speed walk, but not before I was at Whiterun's gate before everything was back to normal. It was hilarious!
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

7. - Top - End - #367
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post

Oh god no
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    Well, that's why the addition of housing and mannequins is so nice in Skyrim: You don't sell your awesome but useless gear, you used it to decorate your pad.
    You guys are the reason why half the artifacts are in at least half the games.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

Vivec city was bigger and more majestic than anything in skyrim
    Fixed that for you.

In seriousness, since Morrowind we have had:

• A Daedric invasion, which you'll recall also hit Skyrim
    • A major war
    • We're in the middle of a civil war as the game starts
    • And now there's an invasion of dragons on top of everything else

Lots of things to drain coffers and cause property damage. From what we've heard of Morrowind, it's not in much better shape by the time ESV rolls around, and may in fact be much worse off. Also as the Empire has been falling apart, it's possible that trade or similar sources of income took a hit between the end of the Third Era and the present. And there isn't really any reason for the Nords to build big, ostentatious buildings when normal ones will do...

You guys are the reason why half the artifacts are in at least half the games.
    You say that like it's a bad thing!

9. - Top - End - #369
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    And there isn't really any reason for the Nords to build big, ostentatious buildings when normal ones will do...
    That's ignoring that many of the buildings we *do* see in Skyrim are very old. The Blue Palace in Solitude, Dragonreach and Jorrvasskr in Whiterun, the Palace of the Kings in Windhelm, and the entirety of Markarth, for instance--there's no reason for those buildings to be affected by any trade or war issues in the last 200 years. It therefore seems odd that the biggest and most ostentatious building in the entire game belongs to a vampire and his cult!

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    It therefore seems odd that the biggest and most ostentatious building in the entire game belongs to a vampire and his cult!
    An immortal race of super beings has the oldest building. I don't feel like that is odd. I am also unsure if Castle Volkihar is even of Nord make or if it just appears (as in pops up) in universe as well as it is inserted with the engine. Its interior feels - pardon the architecture newbie here - gothic so it does not really fit the whole aesthetic of Skyrim (short of Castle Windhelm maybe).

But isn't the entire point of the Nedic and Nord people that they WERE once a great civilization but have fallen to barbarism. Not that its inhabitants would ever consider that true but it certainly feels this way: Great ancestors this, awesome Ysgramor that, Talos of Atmora these.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Fixed that for you.

In seriousness, since Morrowind we have had:

• A Daedric invasion, which you'll recall also hit Skyrim
    • A major war
    • We're in the middle of a civil war as the game starts
    • And now there's an invasion of dragons on top of everything else

And there isn't really any reason for the Nords to build big, ostentatious buildings when normal ones will do...
    I have a strong feeling that the story would've been better off if none of this happened. (also that moon was hollowed out and should've been dealt with the moment vivec weakened. A story built on farce is not a good story) But more importantly, there's significant time between these events and the warlike state of the nation should've actually increased the military spending and ensured that everyone had nicer walls and better armour. You're forgetting that with old lore, tamriel is The Arena, a continent so dangerous that a civil war'd be a joke. Roaming bands of ice warriors, Monthly werebear attacks, vampires under the lakes, goblins, giants, trolls, great beasts and monsters, bandits, necromancers..
    Were the dragons even wiped out before skyrim's lore?

Besides needing defence from a hostile country:
    Religion. People love building big buildings for religion, and the nords should've had a few religions by the time TES5 came around; The Imperial cult (modern divines, also I want to point out there's nine of them) The modern nord faith (A variation of the nine divines but with sovenguarde, shor, and other variations) whatever the dunmer were worshiping and maybe, in modern cities, you could have a few impressive holdovers from the ancient nords that once occupied their cities; Not just a barrow, a glorious temple. If you look at the likes of bleak falls barrow you'll note great stone arches and pillars and maybe some of that would've supported wood constructions.

Also as they're all polytheist with nine divines (+shor) and all they could put nine temples in a city...

Furthermore you've got nobles who like big houses.
    A big coastline.

Sky whales
    Sea monster corpses
    Things made by giants
    Falmer ruins.
    Things made by wizards
    Stuff carved out of ice (which reminds me; I think it would've been better if Stahlrim was native to all of skyrim, and glass was morrowind exclusive. Every province gets it's own thing)
    Arenas (there was going to be one for windhelm...)
    Last edited by The Jack; 2019-01-26 at 08:30 AM.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I have a strong feeling that the story would've been better off if none of this happened. (also that moon was hollowed out and should've been dealt with the moment vivec weakened. A story built on farce is not a good story) But more importantly, there's significant time between these events and the warlike state of the nation should've actually increased the military spending and ensured that everyone had nicer walls and better armour. You're forgetting that with old lore, tamriel is The Arena, a continent so dangerous that a civil war'd be a joke. Roaming bands of ice warriors, Monthly werebear attacks, vampires under the lakes, goblins, giants, trolls, great beasts and monsters, bandits, necromancers..
    Were the dragons even wiped out before skyrim's lore?

Besides needing defence from a hostile country:
    Religion. People love building big buildings for religion, and the nords should've had a few religions by the time TES5 came around; The Imperial cult (modern divines, also I want to point out there's nine of them) The modern nord faith (A variation of the nine divines but with sovenguarde, shor, and other variations) whatever the dunmer were worshiping and maybe, in modern cities, you could have a few impressive holdovers from the ancient nords that once occupied their cities; Not just a barrow, a glorious temple. If you look at the likes of bleak falls barrow you'll note great stone arches and pillars and maybe some of that would've supported wood constructions.

Also as they're all polytheist with nine divines (+shor) and all they could put nine temples in a city...

Furthermore you've got nobles who like big houses.
    A big coastline.

Sky whales
    Sea monster corpses
    Things made by giants
    Falmer ruins.
    Things made by wizards
    Stuff carved out of ice (which reminds me; I think it would've been better if Stahlrim was native to all of skyrim, and glass was morrowind exclusive. Every province gets it's own thing)
    Arenas (there was going to be one for windhelm...)
    In spite of the Nord's boasting, Skyrim has fallen into decadence. The Empire in Cyrodiil acted as a buffer against their traditional antagonists in Morrowind and would have been responsible for the majority of military actions, most of which would not be taking place in Skyrim.

The fact is, before the Civil War, Skyrim was probably the most militarily secured province in the empire, with both natural barriers and friendly powers bordering them on all sides. Any hostile force capable of even getting into Skyrim at that point isn't going to give a crap about the state of the forts or cities at that point, because it would have to be so overwhelmingly powerful just to get in there in the first place, that the Nords wouldn't be able to defend themselves anyway.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    That's ignoring that many of the buildings we *do* see in Skyrim are very old. The Blue Palace in Solitude, Dragonreach and Jorrvasskr in Whiterun, the Palace of the Kings in Windhelm, and the entirety of Markarth, for instance--there's no reason for those buildings to be affected by any trade or war issues in the last 200 years.
    Maintenance costs. Being old won't stop a catapult from launching stones through the walls; that sort of thing would still need to be repaired. Jorrvaskr in particular is wood. As a side note the fact that it's still in one piece means there are modern Nords who STILL know how to build it like they used to back in Ysgramor's day; just check out how much repair the USS Constitution has needed since it was built and it's a fraction of the age. And, again, there isn't really any reason for the Nords to build unnecessarily fancy buildings. They're a culture of doers, not builders. 'Go out and win a big battle' is an accomplishment worth bragging about to them, 'look at this fancy column I carved' is not. Note that there are no songs written about their wood carvers or stone masons, and nobody offers to buy anyone a drink because they glazed a particularly nice pot.

Whereas Morrowind was ruled for thousands of years by a trio of demigods who had a vested interest in generating as much hype over themselves as possible. So big temples and ostentatious buildings serve both to boost their own egos - 'look how powerful we are, we can build all this fancy stuff!' - and serve as billboards - 'see how awesome we are? You should totally worship us!' Also, they used slaves for most of their history, so they aren't paying their workers and could then spend the balance on fancier materials.

I'm uncertain how ash storms would measure up against snow as far as requiring building maintenance so that may or may not be a factor too.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    In spite of the Nord's boasting, Skyrim has fallen into decadence. The Empire in Cyrodiil acted as a buffer against their traditional antagonists in Morrowind and would have been responsible for the majority of military actions, most of which would not be taking place in Skyrim.
    Err, you do remember that Skyrim was fighting Morrowind as recently as the Oblivion Crisis, yes? There was random NPC chatter about it. And don't forget about the Reachmen/Foresworn, who are local to Skyrim and have been since at least the Second Era.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2019-01-26 at 09:33 AM.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Slaves aren't a boon to great craftsmanship of scale. Sure, getting a few slave-experts for pottery or jewelry, or an architect to supervise construction, is fair use for a slave, but free and paid citizens were generally used for construction in history.
    Slavery in history lost traction because for the vast majority of industry slaves weren't as economical as minimum wage workers who didn't need to be looked after. The Dunmer primarily still have slaves because it's tradition and they use intensive farming techniques.

-Thick stone walls beat catapults.
    -Routine Stone maintainence is not hugely expensive in an economy not dominated by the service sector.
    -Skyrim does venerate it's craftsmen. Breweries, smiths and so on get praise and tell you about how great they are. People praise palaces and windhelm and skyforges and so on. 'shor's halls' is a saying, and I don't think it's because of all the feasts.

Whiterun is an abysmal joke of a town where all you need is a few easy jump spells to clear the walls and you're free to slaughter everything. Yes, jump spells aren't a thing anymore, but that's a gameplay choice, not canonical

(unless of course skyrim's lack of magic is trying to say something... It might be. I think it is*.)

I'm pretty sure the Nerevarine would beat the dragonborn, I'm surprised screw attack hasn't done a death-battle on it. Working under the assumption that they each only completed their respective main quests and their follow ups in their respective second expansions (ignoring their respective horror themed first expansions involving movie monsters and a daedric prince, they get lumped in other quests**), then got all their skills to 100 (dragonborn gets all his shouts, even though most are tied to other questlines) Both get either all the racial advantages or none of them.

**I'm ignoring other quests because the Nerevarine canonically can't do them all and The dragonborn can't get all possible results and would be the chosen one of at least seven different prophecies and both would owe their souls to a myriad of folk...

Nerevar wins because the dragonborn isn't half the caster or enchanter. The dragonborn is doubtlessly the greatest smith in Nirn during his time, but he/she lacks most of the versatile and powerful magical effects the Nerevarine is equipped with.
    Last edited by The Jack; 2019-01-26 at 10:39 AM.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Slaves aren't a boon to great craftsmanship of scale. Sure, getting a few slave-experts for pottery or jewelry, or an architect to supervise construction, is fair use for a slave, but free and paid citizens were generally used for construction in history.
    Slavery in history lost traction because for the vast majority of industry slaves weren't as economical as minimum wage workers who didn't need to be looked after. The Dunmer primarily still have slaves because it's tradition and they use intensive farming techniques.

-Routine Stone maintainence is not hugely expensive in an economy not dominated by the service sector.
    -Skyrim does venerate it's craftsmen. Breweries, smiths and so on get praise and tell you about how great they are. People praise palaces and windhelm and skyforges and so on. 'shor's halls' is a saying, and I don't think it's because of all the feasts.

Whiterun is an abysmal joke of a town where all you need is a few easy jump spells to clear the walls and you're free to slaughter everything. Yes, jump spells aren't a thing anymore, but that's a gameplay choice, not canonical

(unless of course skyrim's lack of magic is trying to say something... It might be. I think it is*.)

I'm pretty sure the Nerevarine would beat the dragonborn, I'm surprised screw attack hasn't done a death-battle on it. Working under the assumption that they each only completed their respective main quests and their follow ups in their respective second expansions (ignoring their respective horror themed first expansions involving movie monsters and a daedric prince, they get lumped in other quests**), then got all their skills to 100 (dragonborn gets all his shouts, even though most are tied to other questlines) Both get either all the racial advantages or none of them.

**I'm ignoring other quests because the Nerevarine canonically can't do them all and The dragonborn can't get all possible results and would be the chosen one of at least seven different prophecies and both would owe their souls to a myriad of folk...

Nerevar wins because the dragonborn isn't half the caster or enchanter. The dragonborn is doubtlessly the greatest smith in Nirn during his time, but he/she lacks most of the versatile and powerful magical effects the Nerevarine is equipped with.
    Lets not pretend that cheese and abuse of odd gameplay interactions is a legitimate comparison of power. In a direct fight, the Dragonborn has a massive advantage due to the Thu'um. Heck, he can actually slow down time by 90%, or even forcibly mind control the Nerevarine with Bend Will. Fully trained Tongues are amazingly dangerous opponents.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

16. - Top - End - #376
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Lack of Sky Whales is easily explainable:

When St. Jiub killed all the Cliff Racers, the sky whales lost their main predator. After a period of overpopulation, their population crashed, now they only live in Atmora.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post

When St. Jiub killed all the Cliff Racers, the sky whales lost their main predator. After a period of overpopulation, their population crashed, now they only live in Atmora.
    Hail St. Jiub!

18. - Top - End - #378

Ironically, if the Sky Whale population had lasted until the return of Alduin, instead of collapsing in Tamriel in 4e 124, the depredations of the dragons would've been mitigated by that abundant food source.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Lets not pretend that cheese and abuse of odd gameplay interactions is a legitimate comparison of power. In a direct fight, the Dragonborn has a massive advantage due to the Thu'um. Heck, he can actually slow down time by 90%, or even forcibly mind control the Nerevarine with Bend Will. Fully trained Tongues are amazingly dangerous opponents.
    I wasn't assuming cheese.
    No exploits
    But let's say no fortify attribute effects either, the nerevarine is stuck with 100 in all attributes.

The Nerevarine still wins.

The dragonborn learned his magic from a backwards country in a magical dark age. To the DB, there are five fire spells, one for each milestone.

Of special note, the Nerevarine has the following effects that would be a very big advantage in a fight with the dragonborn;
    -Silence (bugger your shouts)
    -Dispel (bugger your marked for deaths)
    -resist magic
    -absorb
    -reflect
    -Chameleon
    -Blind
    -jump
    -levitate
    -swift swim
    -water walk
    -Mark and recall/interventions (teleports)
    - Burden (extremely effective on any Dragonborn...)
    -Fortify speed
    -charm
    -shield (though really, the superior smithing skills of the dovakhin make this a band-aid at best)

Plus Nerevar's conjurations are stronger,more varied, and can be a -constant effect- power. Plus the Nerevarine The only advantage that the dragonborn gets with spells is that the Nerevarine uses two hands to cast (though he machineguns -cast on use- spells)

The Dragonborn can put two effects on an item at most, and what he counts as an item and what Nerevar counts as an item is very different. The dragonborn enchants footwear,gauntlets,torso,helmet, amulet, ring 1, ring 2 and the Dragonborn never enchants certain objects with certain spells. The Nerevarine puts enchantments into fifteen different places, and carefully measures how much of each effect he gets out of each item (The dragonborn just tacks it on). Nerevar can enchant without a specialised area for it, and his items recharge on their own.
    Also the Nerevarine can make -cast on use- magic items and fire them off like machineguns

The Dovakhin is just a ****ty wizard, hell by comparison he's an eldritch knight. The Dragonborn's only hope is nuclear stealth archery, though his enemy may have detect enchantements on...

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I wasn't assuming cheese.
    No exploits
    But let's say no fortify attribute effects either, the nerevarine is stuck with 100 in all attributes.

The Nerevarine still wins.

The dragonborn learned his magic from a backwards country in a magical dark age. To the DB, there are five fire spells, one for each milestone.

Of special note, the Nerevarine has the following effects that would be a very big advantage in a fight with the dragonborn;
    -Silence (bugger your shouts)
    -Dispel (bugger your marked for deaths)
    -resist magic
    -absorb
    -reflect
    -Chameleon
    -Blind
    -jump
    -levitate
    -swift swim
    -water walk
    -Mark and recall/interventions (teleports)
    - Burden (extremely effective on any Dragonborn...)
    -Fortify speed
    -charm
    -shield (though really, the superior smithing skills of the dovakhin make this a band-aid at best)

Plus Nerevar's conjurations are stronger,more varied, and can be a -constant effect- power. Plus the Nerevarine The only advantage that the dragonborn gets with spells is that the Nerevarine uses two hands to cast (though he machineguns -cast on use- spells)

The Dragonborn can put two effects on an item at most, and what he counts as an item and what Nerevar counts as an item is very different. The dragonborn enchants footwear,gauntlets,torso,helmet, amulet, ring 1, ring 2 and the Dragonborn never enchants certain objects with certain spells. The Nerevarine puts enchantments into fifteen different places, and carefully measures how much of each effect he gets out of each item (The dragonborn just tacks it on). Nerevar can enchant without a specialised area for it, and his items recharge on their own.
    Also the Nerevarine can make -cast on use- magic items and fire them off like machineguns

The Dovakhin is just a ****ty wizard, hell by comparison he's an eldritch knight. The Dragonborn's only hope is nuclear stealth archery, though his enemy may have detect enchantements on...
    All of the magic in the world cant save you if you never get a chance to use it, and the Voice is just such a powerful opening shot that I don't think the Nerevarine would ever get the opportunity to do anything. Blast him into a wall and then stab him in the face with your self crafted sword of substantially higher quality than anything the Nerevarine has access to. The Dragonborn doesn't need to survive a magical apocalypse, they just need to stun the Nerevarine for a moment so they can get close and then stab him to death.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Firbolg in the Playground

All of the magic in the world cant save you if you never get a chance to use it, and the Voice is just such a powerful opening shot that I don't think the Nerevarine would ever get the opportunity to do anything. Blast him into a wall and then stab him in the face with your self crafted sword of substantially higher quality than anything the Nerevarine has access to. The Dragonborn doesn't need to survive a magical apocalypse, they just need to stun the Nerevarine for a moment so they can get close and then stab him to death.
    That's why you have a Cast On Use recall enchantment on your pauldrons. Instant cast time means that even if the Dovahkiin Fus'es the Nerevarine into the air, the nerevarine is gone before he hits the ground.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Good trick. Except... Ice Form
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

23. - Top - End - #383

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Good trick. Except... Ice Form
    Permanent Enchant Resist Magic.
    The Cranky Gamer

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Permanent Enchant Resist Magic.
    Does that actually work on shouts? I don't know that ive ever seen anybody actually directly resist a shout without coming at it sideways like being immune to elemental damage or something.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Barbarian in the Playground

Did anyone ever make a mod to give ulfric dragon shouts? Is there some in game explanation for why he doesn't actually use shouts? In the beginning of the game they play up that he killed torig by shouting him to chunks allegedly but if you side with the empire he just stands there mundanely trying to murder the dragon born. Sorry if this has been covered somewhere.

"You should just homebrew the world's tiniest violin for your bard."

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

Does that actually work on shouts? I don't know that ive ever seen anybody actually directly resist a shout without coming at it sideways like being immune to elemental damage or something.
    It kills incoming elemental damage from dragon shouts, so if there was a way to get 100% magic resist it would probably work. I don't think anything less than 100% works on all or nothing Shouts like Disarm or Ice Form though.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

Re: Nerevar vs. Dragonborn, are we forgetting that the Nerevarine is a Blade and thus sworn to protect the Dragonborn? Because I think we are. That said:

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    It kills incoming elemental damage from dragon shouts, so if there was a way to get 100% magic resist it would probably work. I don't think anything less than 100% works on all or nothing Shouts like Disarm or Ice Form though.
    Doesn't Disarm stop working if the target is above a certain level?

Historically, using magic to aid construction wasn't a viable practice either.

Trebuchet then.

Couple of things here:
    • Replacing or repairing siege damage (or Daedric invasion damage, or...) is not routine maintenance.
    • Brewers and smiths do not build walls or buildings. The Nords are as obsessed with mead as they are with battle and the smiths build weapons and armor, so they can get lumped in with battle.
    • An individual bragging about themselves does not make them praiseworthy; for that, other people have to brag about that person. And the only craftsman offhand who gets praised is Eorlund Greymane...who makes weapons to help with the aforementioned combat.
    • You bring up the Skyforge and yet no one knows for sure who built it, so apparently no one thought enough of its builder to bother to make note of their name...
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2019-01-26 at 08:36 PM.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by iTreeby View Post
    Did anyone ever make a mod to give ulfric dragon shouts? Is there some in game explanation for why he doesn't actually use shouts? In the beginning of the game they play up that he killed torig by shouting him to chunks allegedly but if you side with the empire he just stands there mundanely trying to murder the dragon born. Sorry if this has been covered somewhere.
    Im almost positive ive seen him use a couple shouts in combat before.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

The Nerevarine is obviously much stronger than the Dragonborn.
    After all, they can wait a few hundred years for the Dragonborn to die of old age.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Building swords for battle is cool, building walls for battle/defending the innocent isn't?

*takes a breath; Remembers that the Nords are objectively the dumbest playable race*

Looking at whiterun, I don't believe it would be very expensive, labour intensive or technical to repair their walls and build them up. They are very simple walls. I can understand not repairing every fort in skyrim, but Whiterun? that place aught to be a hub.

(also,like, from a technical perspective it's harder to make poorly repaired walls and they'd be slightly more taxing on your computer)

People in skyrim get attacked so often by wandering monsters, it's just incredibly strange so many of them do so little about their defence. I know not much can be done against a dragon, but everything's already screwed pre-dragon season; they were never in the equation. What're they doing with all those saw mills when they're not building anything worthwhile (and don't say it's all firewood, they're nords, the cold is their element)?