New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Legal question about using familiar terms in a new system

In the scheming stages of writing a new system and i had a question:

Would using phrases and the base idea of game mechanics (but not the mechanic ripped straight from the system) be kosher?

Prime example would be Attack of Opportunity. It exists in 3.5 & pathfinder and the associated OGL. In my system it would be called "Attack of Opportunity" and function how you would expect, but the actual game mechanics would differ from 3.5/PF.

Now, my understanding of OGL is murky at best but if i understand it correctly the content is NOT free to use in a way we would expect.

And let's be honest, i could rename it and call it something cute, but everyone i know would just call Attack of Opportunity anyways.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Legal question about using familiar terms in a new system

My advice would be to consult a lawyer. “I asked some people on the internet and they said it was ok” is likely not a good legal defense.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Last edited by Comissar; 2019-01-04 at 10:14 AM.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    My advice would be to consult a lawyer. “I asked some people on the internet and they said it was ok” is likely not a good legal defense.
    We won't know until we try

Fair enough, i just figured i'd get some insight to avoid a find-and-replace later on down the line, and end up with a potential iwizard situation. Like i said very early on; just the core idea and some class ideas. Not like im gonna be done in a week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Comissar View Post
    Relevant part in bold.
    In my head, the question seemed innocent enough. Now that you display this it seems im clearly out of line. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Comissar View Post
    For what it's worth, though, the term 'Attack of Opportunity' itself is used by multiple companies for multiple distinct games. As a result, I don't think it's copyrighted (but haven't looked to check, and as the poster above me commented, I'd recommend speaking to an actual professional or doing full research yourself).
    True, but that was only one example (off the top of my head). I was hoping that someone here would have some advice based on experience.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

If you're wanting advice on the non-legal side of things (i.e. mechanical design/setting design), you can ask around the homebrew section of the forum?

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, we can't give legal advice.

Things I've seen crop up in many games include Hit Points, Attack of Opportunity, Action, Round, and similar terms, so using those while drafting the system should be fine, especially as they will make discussion easier (assuming everybody knows those terms). Just make sure to find and replace any nonkosher terms before publishing. However I can say nothing about the legalities of publishing a game with those terms in, and nobody on this board should even if they are a lawyer.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Game rules or mechanics are not subject to copyright law. Just ask the Internet
    Optimizing vs Roleplay
    If the worlds greatest optimizer makes a character and hands it to the worlds greatest roleplayer who roleplays the character. What will happen? Will the Universe implode?

Roleplaying vs Fun
    If roleplaying is no fun then stop doing it. Unless of course you are roleplaying at gunpoint then you should roleplay like your life depended on it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Wonder: Do not ask for legal advice on these forums.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.