New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Guest Gift for Giants

My players are going to visit a giant, hoping that sacred hospitality will help them keep things peaceful. They will of course be subject to an evil giant's twisted version of hospitality ("Oh, you can draw your own water from my giant-sized well, can't you?"), but that's the fun part.

I would like to get the playground's ideas on what would be good gifts to bring to a giant. The PCs will need to journey quite a way, so the lighter the better. The giant lives alone on an island in a lake, and is rumoured to have a fabulous, magical apple tree, if that makes any difference.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Default Re: Guest Gift for Giants

A playground!

Im thinking, what do we want as small as possible?
    Maybe a ring, jewlery or art where fine detail is valued. Humans can make much smaller items and details.
    Quote Originally Posted by Incorrect View Post
    If you consider the RP aspect, you might want to consider alternatives to Tortle Str Ranger.
    I mean, why would the rest of the party trust this Tortal StRanger...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Do you have what the general laws and their guarantor is? That would help thematically link the gifts, since they could use them to subtly hint they are the one who ensures them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe a ring, jewlery or art where fine detail is valued. Humans can make much smaller items and details.
    This makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Do you have what the general laws and their guarantor is? That would help thematically link the gifts, since they could use them to subtly hint they are the one who ensures them.
    Good question!
    There is no one guarantor. Stories tell that the gods or powerful mortals sometimes walk in humble guise, and they would take vengeance on or withhold reward for anyone who failed to be suitably hospitable. And there are also many stories about how sacred hospitality helped save the day in one way or another. One family was exempt when the armies tore the city down, because they had observed the rites, and a mighty hero in dire straits was able to recover and later win a great fight, to the benefit of the benefactors.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I'm thinking a drinking horn. They're generally made of pretty low density materials, are hollow for obvious reasons, and can easily come with something to hang them on which doubles as a carrying strap while getting it to the giants. You can decorate it pretty dramatically, and just having a sufficiently massive horn sends some nice messages about the value of not messing with you.

Plus, if that magical apple tree isn't being used by a giant living alone to make booze I'd be surprised.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

A playground!

That's what I was thinking too. My first thought was something mechanical like a clock, but that's maybe outside the tech level. Maybe some really fine cloth? A human loom would be much finer than anything a giant could come up with. Or a tapestry. Jewelry is an option, but I don't think a cartwheel-sized gold ring would be all that light.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Clocks might be a step too far in complexity, but a music box might be in that perfect level of sufficient complexity and simplicity and also be in that small item crafting niche that giants would treasure since it would be too hard for them to make themselves due to size.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Heavy War Deodorant?
    Adamantium Loofah?
    2H Mithril beard comb?
    and of course, Lava Soap on a steel chain

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Intelligent harps, magic beans, and geese that lay golden eggs are traditional.

A magic item that will either turn him small-sized, or make his crops bigger.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If the characters had access to a sentient magical item, that might be something the giant would enjoy. If they live alone on the island on the lake, the giant could want for company more than anything.

Along the same lines, the characters could deliver some sort of magical communication device so the giant can stay connected to friends and family. This has the added bonus of potentially backfiring if the giant doesn't decide to keep the peace, and uses it to make arrangements with the character's enemies.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

A sword just large enough to serve as a toothpick for the giant. For when he wants to clean his teeth in style.

A finely-made apple grinder/crusher, with which to make delicious apple cider. Bonus points if you get to drink some of it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

A cow. A gift of food is always appreciated.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Socks. Since he has oversized feet, he probably can't find any fitting him, and everyone appreciates a useful gift that is handmade. You can't go wrong with the classics!
    And while travelling you may use them as sleeping bags.

Currently playing:
    Gardin Farawyn Saskeon of Efteria, Elven Bard und Oracle
    Faire Camoretta, Halfling Monk.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Elvensilver View Post
    Socks. Since he has oversized feet, he probably can't find any fitting him, and everyone appreciates a useful gift that is handmade. You can't go wrong with the classics!
    And while travelling you may use them as sleeping bags.
    Maybe the giant lost one of his gloves and is looking for a replacement. As they travel the party can use the glove as a hut with 5 extra rooms.
    If you consider the RP aspect, you might want to consider alternatives to Tortle Str Ranger.
    I mean, why would the rest of the party trust this Tortal StRanger...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

Hah. That's a lovely idea. Putting tent poles in a glove and then just dividing it into five sleeping quarters.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

The giant is evil, isn't he?
    A group of ugly\hilarious looking slave performers. And they can walk on their own, so weight doesn't matter.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I'm personally quite fond of board games, legos, and kitchen gadgets, but I dunno how universal that is among giants
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by hymer View Post
    My players are going to visit a giant, hoping that sacred hospitality will help them keep things peaceful. They will of course be subject to an evil giant's twisted version of hospitality ("Oh, you can draw your own water from my giant-sized well, can't you?"), but that's the fun part.

I would like to get the playground's ideas on what would be good gifts to bring to a giant. The PCs will need to journey quite a way, so the lighter the better. The giant lives alone on an island in a lake, and is rumoured to have a fabulous, magical apple tree, if that makes any difference.
    A fancy invisible outfit that only a genius can see.

A tigerskin loincloth. So fetching!

A music box small enough it can be placed in the giant's ear. Instant headphones!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Well... Magic items automatically resize themselves to fit the user... So anything magical would be a valuable and easy-to-transport option.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2019-01-13 at 02:47 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

magical beans to go with the magical apples.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Well... Magic items automatically resize themselves to fit the user... So anything mthing would be a valuable and easy-to-transport option.
    Depends on the game and edition.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.