New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Re: Into the Borderlands (5e)

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_p View Post
    With the two other women, Haranna follows the stable boy. She is surprised, however, when the quiet elf speaks to her. "Oh! Well, he seemed the worst but I wouldn't be surprised..." She shakes her head briefly before looking more closely at the woman for a long moment. "Tiresome as it is, it would be a pity to abandon your goals because of such malodorous donkeys." She grins, then sticks out her right hand. It is calloused and missing the first finger but, if grasped, warm and firm. "I am Haranna."
    She takes the hand briefly, and shakes. Proper introductions are important, she's not naive enough to not understand that.

"Irithiel.

She manages a small smile.

"Perhaps you're right. I shouldn't let a few men stand in my way. Soon enough I'm sure they'll realize that I'm not interested in any of them, and they'll leave me alone."

Once they reach the inn, Irithiel orders a glass of light wine, and seats herself. She keeps her eyes and ears open for anything of interest.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Absalom follows the boy to the tavern. "Blessings upon you, young sir. Thank you for your guidance."

With that, he enters the tavern closely behind a gaggle of females who all seem to know each other.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by atlastrembles View Post
    Dravakar thanks the innkeeper, gratefully accepting the two mugs. He takes a hearty swig, three massive gulps, and downs the mug of water. He belches, smiles, and passes the empty cup back to the Innkeeper. Ah! Earthmother's rain tha's good. Thank ye, innkeeper, for th'water an' th'offer of a room. Hope ye don' mind, but I'll have t'sleep with th'windows open, 'case I can't sleep. Cannae open a latch wi' a paw or hoof. He winks at that boy and then takes a swig of ale, turning in time to watch the parade of newcomers enter the room.

Devilblood, coupla pretty lasses, an' more elfbloods than ye'd think in these parts. An, Goddess! Look at the muscles on tha' one strong lass.

After watching them arrive, the dwarf calls out, Greetins' all! Welcome t'th'inn. Dravakar Derrowfade welcomes ye, 'specially if ye buy 'im a drink!

"Certainly, what will you have?"
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Certainly, what will you have?"
    The dwarf grins broadly at the inquiry, overjoyed that someone were offering an ale. Ah, yer a soft heart aren't ye, wood-elf! A pitcher of ale, an the story of yer arrival! What brings ye t'the Keep?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

As the eclectic assortment of people begins to fill the room, Ayslam realizes these people may very well be here for similar reasons to his own, making them potential comrades of sorts. He approaches the boisterous dwarf and holds out a hand Greetings, Dravakar. I am called Ayslam Black. His eyes don't quite meet the dwarf's, despite his height he seems to be glancing even below a dwarf's gaze. He also gives a quick nod to the elf standing nearby.
    Last edited by Luccan; 2019-02-02 at 04:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

The dwarf grins broadly at the inquiry, overjoyed that someone were offering an ale. Ah, yer a soft heart aren't ye, wood-elf! A pitcher of ale, an the story of yer arrival! What brings ye t'the Keep?

"I aim to see the world beyond the woods.

All of it
    !"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

Haranna looks a little skeptical at Irithiel's assertion but decides against commenting. After sending the stable boy on his way, she follows the elf into the inn. She'd noted the tavern next door as they arrived but thinks it would be too rude just to head straight in there. She's pleased to find a variety of individuals within the inn's common room and cannot help but grin at the dwarf's welcome.

As the dwarf and an elven man get acquainted, she orders herself a pitcher of ale and approaches Irithiel, who appears to be sitting on her own. "Was thinking of sitting here," she says, gesturing at a chair two away from the elf. "Let me know if I'm gettin' in your way, though!" Smiling, she sits and waits on her ale.

8. - Top - End - #38

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    As the eclectic assortment of people begins to fill the room, Ayslam realizes these people may very well be here for similar reasons to his own, making them potential comrades of sorts. He approaches the boisterous dwarf and holds out a hand Greetings, Dravakar. I am called Ayslam Black. His eyes don't quite meet the dwarf's, despite his height he seems to be glancing even below a dwarf's gaze. He also gives a quick nod to the elf standing nearby.
    Greetin's to ye as well Ayslam Black. No every day ye meet a devilborn. Come to meet yer cousins, have ye? the dwarf asks sarcastically, not intending for the comment to bite too hard.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Greetin's to ye as well Ayslam Black. No every day ye meet a devilborn. Come to meet yer cousins, have ye? the dwarf asks sarcastically, not intending for the comment to bite too hard.
    The tiefling grimaces at the comment, but quickly tries to cover it with a friendly smile As it happens, I'd been hoping to introduce them to my steel. It seems more than a few people here have the same notion.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

10. - Top - End - #40

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    The tiefling grimaces at the comment, but quickly tries to cover it with a friendly smile As it happens, I'd been hoping to introduce them to my steel. It seems more than a few people here have the same notion.
    Aye, lad, that we do Dravakar responds, looking at the rest of the assembled would-be heroes in the common room. I'm itchin' t'get huntin' myself, Ayslam Black.

11. - Top - End - #41

The Travelers' Inn - Haranna Keeneye, Irithiel, Amber Yarrowhill, Ayslam Black, Rolen Liadon, Dravakar Derrowfade
    The inn quickly fills with the addition of the six new arrivals. As the new arrivals are the only occupants aside from the innkeeper and the woman with the broom, the innkeeper loudly clears his throat to get the attention of everyone present. "My, my, my. I never guessed we would have so many come to our quaint place so I must inform everyone that we have only so many rooms available. We have five private rooms and they cost 1 gold per night each. Of course, there is plenty of room here in the common area where you can grab a patch of floor once we move the tables aside. That is only a silver a night.To be honest and fair, we will offer them to each of you in the order you arrived here. You master dwarf were the first to arrive."

================================================== ===========================================

The Stretching Goat - Zarr Ghost
    From her corner table, Zarr is able to see the comings and goings of the few patrons (mostly soldiers between shifts) of the tavern. She thinks back and realizes, as a farming community, most patrons will not show till dinner or later. The lack of others to hide behind makes her and her appearance the more noticeable, though there are few to worry about. As she thinks upon others who may arrive to the Keep for reasons more or less similar to her own, she hears a commotion over at the inn. Not a violent commotion but more of a racket by those of similar views arriving at the same time.
    Lily: What's happening?
    The Doctor: No idea. Do what I do; hold tight and pretend its a plan.

Note to all my players and Game Masters: I am not online Fridays after 3:00 pm EST till Mondays around 7:00 am EST.

12. - Top - End - #42

MonkGuy

Used to the looks and glares growing up as a tiefling she ignores them. She continues to eat her meal in silence as she listens to the commotion coming from the inn. She was smart to procure a room ahead of time.

Sounds busy next door, wonder what's going on?

13. - Top - End - #43

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by ybn1197 View Post
    The Travelers' Inn - Haranna Keeneye, Irithiel, Amber Yarrowhill, Ayslam Black, Rolen Liadon, Dravakar Derrowfade
    ]"My, my, my. I never guessed we would have so many come to our quaint place so I must inform everyone that we have only so many rooms available. We have five private rooms and they cost 1 gold per night each. Of course, there is plenty of room here in the common area where you can grab a patch of floor once we move the tables aside. That is only a silver a night.To be honest and fair, we will offer them to each of you in the order you arrived here. You master dwarf were the first to arrive."[/COLOR][/B]
    My thanks, keeper, a roof over me head at least t'night would be much 'ppreciated. It's been a long trek and me stones're crackin'. I'll see ye all in the morn' fer our first outin' yes? the dwarf smiles, downing his drink and heading to his room.

14. - Top - End - #44

The inn quickly fills with the addition of the six new arrivals. As the new arrivals are the only occupants aside from the innkeeper and the woman with the broom, the innkeeper loudly clears his throat to get the attention of everyone present. "My, my, my. I never guessed we would have so many come to our quaint place so I must inform everyone that we have only so many rooms available. We have five private rooms and they cost 1 gold per night each. Of course, there is plenty of room here in the common area where you can grab a patch of floor once we move the tables aside. That is only a silver a night.To be honest and fair, we will offer them to each of you in the order you arrived here. You master dwarf were the first to arrive."
    After the innkeeper's announcement, Haranna listens as the dwarf accepts a room for the night. She glances around briefly, eyeing the state of the common room, adding a quick glance at the roof. Well, it was dry, sheltered and she had certainly slept in rougher conditions. While she recognises she wasn't next to arrive, she clears her throat.

"I'd be content with some space down here," she says, straightening in her seat a little. "Might help simplify matters."

15. - Top - End - #45

MonkGuy

Deciding she ate enough, Zaar gets up and pays for her meal and thanks the barmaid. She decides to go to the Inn and check out the situation. It was quiet when she arrived the day before, now it seems there has been a sudden appearance of people.

She walks into the inn, her armor looking well taken care of. On her back she wears a glaive, shield and at her hip a whip, she stands at the door a moment taking a look around taking in the new people who had arrived, before she goes to the bar.

I'll take a mug of your best ale please.

After recieving her mug, the seemingly proud tiefling walks to a corner that is unoccupied and sits so that her back is to the wall, where she can keep an eye one everyone.

Spoiler: Shield
    Show
    To anyone who takes a look of the shield, you will notice it has the emblem of Kelemvar on it, same as A tattoo on her left cheek.
    Last edited by Jrpergande78; 2019-02-13 at 07:59 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Ayslam casts an eye to the new presence in the room. Not every day you meet a devilborn indeed. he thinks to himself. He seems to relax somewhat at this new presence, perhaps because he is less of one in comparison.

I'll be fine in the common room. he says, in reply to the innkeeper. A growl from his stomach reminds him he hasn't eaten today What have you for food?
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Holds out coins to the server

"A round for the house please!"

To all

"I hope to learn your tales, until then bottoms up!"

And he drinks

18. - Top - End - #48

Holds out coins to the server

"A round for the house please!"

To all

"I hope to learn your tales, until then bottoms up!"

And he drinks
    Haranna grins broadly and holds up a hand, acknowledging the gesture before using it to cup her mouth. "I could get used to this! You keep the ale flowing, I'll tell all the tales you like!" she calls out.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_p View Post
    Haranna grins broadly and holds up a hand, acknowledging the gesture before using it to cup her mouth. "I could get used to this! You keep the ale flowing, I'll tell all the tales you like!" she calls out.

"You have a tale to tell?"

"Well please start with what I hope are many, how about what brought you to this place?

"Since 'tis only fair I will tell you that I felt a growing passion to see the world beyond the woods

All of it
    "

20. - Top - End - #50

MonkGuy

I'm here, for one reason, and one reason only....to punish, and destroy those who choose to do evil.

Zaar's reply was cold, and clear enough that it left no doubt in one's mind she was serious.
    Last edited by Jrpergande78; 2019-02-18 at 01:57 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

ElfRogueGirl

Amber listens closely, approaches quietly compared to how she entered, and waits her turn before she speaks up. "I'd like a room above ground level, please." She offers the inn keeper a gold coin and a smile, and continues to politely stay out of every one else's say, and every other conversation.
    Last edited by scalyfreak; 2019-02-20 at 01:53 AM.
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

The Adventures of Amber Yarrowhill, IC and OOC

In the Hands of an Angry God June 2017 - November 2018. RIP.

My Player Registry Entry

22. - Top - End - #52

The Travelers' Inn - Haranna Keeneye, Irithiel, Amber Yarrowhill, Ayslam Black, Rolen Liadon, Dravakar Derrowfade, Absalom, Zarr Ghost

OOC: Since I haven't heard from Irithiel or Absalom, I will assume they stay in the common room for the night. Haranna, Ayslam, and Roland stay in the common room. Dravakar, Zarr, and Amber each have a room of their own.

The drinking and eating continues on into the night. Stories are shared by those who have newly arrived and stories are learned from some of the Keep's inhabitants who have heard of the new arrivals and stopped by to see for themselves. As the night wears on you find yourselves brought together. Whether it be by your own sense of curiosity or camaraderie for others who seek out adventure or the questions of the Keep-folk you eventually share a couple of tables next to each other. As the ale flows and Rolen's songs and stories inspire others, lips loosen and you learn a little more of this area that is recognized as the borderlands. A couple of the older Keep-folk begin to tell you of a series of caves found out in the woods not far from the Keep. One man warns that should you adventure out there, the cave entrances are all trapped. He is pish-poshed by another man who refutes the warning saying there is no need of traps as there is a powerful wizard who lives out there and who has vowed to destroy all cave invaders. A third person joins the conversation to refute the other two saying he had never heard of a wizard living out there but he has heard of a wizardly wand being lost in the caverns by some previous adventurers. The innkeeper's wife adds that an elf who had been visiting the Keep was known to have disappeared in the marshes south of the Keep. One of the older men chimes in that it was most probably the lizardmen who live in the marshes that caused his disappearance. Another of the elders informs you that "Bree-yark" is lizard-language for "We surrender!" He is quickly nay-said when the wife of the innkeeper tells him that its Goblin-speak not lizard (lizard speak is slithery, not sharp.) The elder then tries to regain some "status" by stating it may have been the work of the Mad Hermit that caused the disappearance of the poor elf to which the third man bahhhh's him stating the Mad Hermit keeps to the lands north of the Keep. You are then all joined by the innkeeper who advises of the elf who disappeared in the marsh. The conversation quickly goes off its rails from there as old stories are brought back up and rehashed again.
    Lily: What's happening?
    The Doctor: No idea. Do what I do; hold tight and pretend its a plan.

Note to all my players and Game Masters: I am not online Fridays after 3:00 pm EST till Mondays around 7:00 am EST.

23. - Top - End - #53

ElfRogueGirl

The drinking and eating continues on into the night. Stories are shared by those who have newly arrived and stories are learned from some of the Keep's inhabitants who have heard of the new arrivals and stopped by to see for themselves. As the night wears on you find yourselves brought together. Whether it be by your own sense of curiosity or camaraderie for others who seek out adventure or the questions of the Keep-folk you eventually share a couple of tables next to each other. As the ale flows and Rolen's songs and stories inspire others, lips loosen and you learn a little more of this area that is recognized as the borderlands.
    After paying for her room, Amber swiftly gravitates towards the group that has songs and stories going on. She hovers at the perimeter for a few minutes before eventually moving closer and finding a seat - between the dwarf and the winged person who she suspects might be a tiefling. She places the unopened lyre case across her lap and gets comfortable, nodding a polite hello to both of them. "Good evening. I am Amber."

She spends the rest of the evening eating dinner and listening closely to every story, crazy or not. Her complete focus on every story teller suggests she is memorizing them all.
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

My Player Registry Entry

24. - Top - End - #54

"You have a tale to tell?"

"Well please start with what I hope are many, how about what brought you to this place?

"Since 'tis only fair I will tell you that I felt a growing passion to see the world beyond the woods

All of it
    "
    Haranna grins and downs half of her pint before launching into a story about a time she helped a group of farmers protect their lands from wolves. The pack was seemingly led by a large, hulking wolf she suspected to be of the dire variety. Her storytelling is enthusiastic but meandering as she recounts the various characters: the terse rivals with their competing crossbows, the timid farmhand and his pitchfork and the red-faced milkmaid with naught but a sling and her determination. It's an uplifting tale with the wolves driven off and only minor injuries suffered, Haranna's own role downplayed as she outlines the both the grit and the foibles of the farmers.

"Ah," she sighs, story coming to an end. "I hope they're all keeping well even now."

The drinking and eating continues on into the night. Stories are shared by those who have newly arrived and stories are learned from some of the Keep's inhabitants who have heard of the new arrivals and stopped by to see for themselves. As the night wears on you find yourselves brought together. Whether it be by your own sense of curiosity or camaraderie for others who seek out adventure or the questions of the Keep-folk you eventually share a couple of tables next to each other. As the ale flows and Rolen's songs and stories inspire others, lips loosen and you learn a little more of this area that is recognized as the borderlands.
    Haranna is happy to drink, laugh and commiserate with the others as their own tales are told. She adds another story about helping repair a bridge while having to negotiate with the troll who had previously taken up residence underneath. It's a short, humourous yarn that even Haranna would acknowledge is heavily embellished.

She listens keenly, however, when the talk turns to the areas outside the keep, the lands she intends to traverse. The information and rumours are conflicting and she has a few moments of frustration with all the contradictions flying around. Nevertheless, she takes a deep breath and orders more ale. She's not going to be able to sift through and find the truth while thirsty, after all.

Over time, and with the ale, Haranna's laugh grows louder and more uncontrolled and, while her speech doesn't slur noticeably, it's clear from her exaggerated movements that she's somewhat drunk. "About that elf..." she occasionally interjects, only to trail off and lose track of what she wanted to say.

25. - Top - End - #55

Planetar

The drinking and eating continues on into the night. Stories are shared by those who have newly arrived and stories are learned from some of the Keep's inhabitants who have heard of the new arrivals and stopped by to see for themselves. .... The conversation quickly goes off its rails from there as old stories are brought back up and rehashed again.
    Dravakar listens attentively, marking the locations and rumours in a fuzzily-growing mental map of the Borderlands. He nods sagely at the debate about Goblin or Lizard languages. He had encountered a few of each in his time and contributed what he knew of their manners of speech. It doesn't help much, though, given the amount of ale Dravakar had imbibed by that point. He stumbles to bed with a contented look on his face, already dreaming of the adventures to come.

In the morning, he turns to his companions in the common room with a glint in his eye and a broad grin. So, friends. Are we headin' to th'caves or to th'marsh? I'd prefer the marsh meself, strange 'nuff. Don't want t'be tanglin' with no mad mages just yet.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

As he takes drink, Ayslam certainly seems more at ease. Though not quick to divulge his own stories, he recounts several tales of burglars and brigands who met grisly, yet humorous ends. At some point, when the common room quiets down, he beds down in the corner least visible from the door.

At Dravakar's bombastic arrival, he groans and stretches.
    I've no desire to go meddling in the affairs of mages either.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

27. - Top - End - #57

In the morning, he turns to his companions in the common room with a glint in his eye and a broad grin. So, friends. Are we headin' to th'caves or to th'marsh? I'd prefer the marsh meself, strange 'nuff. Don't want t'be tanglin' with no mad mages just yet.
    Breaking her fast slowly, Haranna looks over at Dravakar briefly. ”Good morning, friend. Perhaps another few minutes to collect ourselves before diving into the day, hmm?” She takes a mouthful of food, chewing a moment before continuing. “I’m content to accompany a group to either destination, though.”

28. - Top - End - #58

MonkGuy

After a long night Zaar gets up and begins eating breakfast she thinks on the question a moment and while dealing with a wizard is a challenge, perhaps the marsh might hold something important.

Perhaps the marsh is the way we should go first, however, we shouldn't discount the caves, eventually, we will need to go there.

29. - Top - End - #59

ElfRogueGirl

After spending a restful night in her room, Amber wakes up and packs all her belongings, and seeks out breakfast in the downstairs room. She quietly pay for her room, and the meal, and after a few moment's hesitation she chooses to sit by herself at a table close enough to the group eating breakfast, that she can overhear the conversation. After quickly polishing off a surprisingly large amount of food, she approaches and politely waits for a natural break in the conversation.

"If you have no objections, I would like to accompany your group, regardless of where you decide to go. It will be a grand story to tell and sing about." She toys with the rabbit's foot amulet and adds, more to herself than to anyone else, "And I'm curious about the people living in the caves."

My Player Registry Entry

30. - Top - End - #60

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by scalyfreak View Post
    After spending a restful night in her room, Amber wakes up and packs all her belongings, and seeks out breakfast in the downstairs room. She quietly pay for her room, and the meal, and after a few moment's hesitation she chooses to sit by herself at a table close enough to the group eating breakfast, that she can overhear the conversation. After quickly polishing off a surprisingly large amount of food, she approaches and politely waits for a natural break in the conversation.

"If you have no objections, I would like to accompany your group, regardless of where you decide to go. It will be a grand story to tell and sing about." She toys with the rabbit's foot amulet and adds, more to herself than to anyone else, "And I'm curious about the people living in the caves."
    Well it sounds as if we're headin' out after breakfast. Yer welcome t'join, lass, as are any of ye fine 'venturers. Strength in numbers an' all that, eh? Ooo I can feel the earth beneath us singin', waitin' fer our feet to 'splore it.