New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Into the Borderlands (5e)

Slow to awaken and bleary eyed comes to get more alcohol

"Something for the edge please"

And drinks less merrily than the evening before, with his eyes only half open, when he does open them for some time

"That's better"

"Did someone say something 'bout traveling and seeing somewhere else?"

"If anyone wants another bow and sword to tag along, I'll gladly go!"
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

After waking up Zaar goes down to the main floor.

I'd like some breakfast please.

She listens a moment before answering.

I think the caves would be intresting indeed, but I'll go wherever everyone decides on.
    Last edited by Jrpergande78; 2019-03-12 at 12:45 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63

ElfRogueGirl

"The earth sings?" Amber swiftly moves to sit next to the friendly dwarf, taking her breakfast with her so she can stay for a while. "Please, do tell."
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

The Adventures of Amber Yarrowhill, IC and OOC

In the Hands of an Angry God June 2017 - November 2018. RIP.

My Player Registry Entry

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by scalyfreak View Post
    "The earth sings?" Amber swiftly moves to sit next to the friendly dwarf, taking her breakfast with her so she can stay for a while. "Please, do tell."
    Drav stomps the floor with his boot, the dull thud muffled by the din of the common room. He ***** his ear dramatically and leans towards the ground. There, d'you hear it? The earth speaks with many voices, and is as many languages as there are types of stone. You just have t'listen fer it.

5. - Top - End - #65

The innkeeper comes over and clears the empty dishes, replacing them with more as later arrivals make their appearances. Pardon me saying so but I couldn't help overhear the discussion between you making your way to the marsh or to the caves. The marsh is closer to the keep here but has more beasties that come out as night falls. The caves are a bit further away. And while most of the creatures there tend to be more active at night, they are all active within the dark caves of theirs."
    Lily: What's happening?
    The Doctor: No idea. Do what I do; hold tight and pretend its a plan.

Note to all my players and Game Masters: I am not online Fridays after 3:00 pm EST till Mondays around 7:00 am EST.

6. - Top - End - #66

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by atlastrembles View Post
    Drav stomps the floor with his boot, the dull thud muffled by the din of the common room. He ***** his ear dramatically and leans towards the ground. There, d'you hear it? The earth speaks with many voices, and is as many languages as there are types of stone. You just have t'listen fer it.
    Amber stares intently at the floor for a moment, then slowly shakes her head. "This was not as dramatic as I hoped for". She brightens a moment later, and resumes the conversation. "I have heard the mountains sing though. They shout with the thunder and howl with the wind."

Quote Originally Posted by ybn1197 View Post
    The innkeeper comes over and clears the empty dishes, replacing them with more as later arrivals make their appearances. Pardon me saying so but I couldn't help overhear the discussion between you making your way to the marsh or to the caves. The marsh is closer to the keep here but has more beasties that come out as night falls. The caves are a bit further away. And while most of the creatures there tend to be more active at night, they are all active within the dark caves of theirs."
    Amber falls silent as the inkeeper talks, nodding off and on to the information he is sharing. "Excuse me? Can you tell me where in this keep I can go to purchase a crossbow?"
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

My Player Registry Entry

7. - Top - End - #67

Planetar

Amber stares intently at the floor for a moment, then slowly shakes her head. "This was not as dramatic as I hoped for". She brightens a moment later, and resumes the conversation. "I have heard the mountains sing though. They shout with the thunder and howl with the wind."
    Aye, the mountains're shouty bois alright. Anyway, we can't really here th'earth in here, course. Hafta listen real close when there's dead trees muffling their song.

Drav stretches dramatically and then starts packing his things up.

8. - Top - End - #68

Haranna continues eating as the others talk, listening to the chatter.

She smiles a little as the dwarf talks about how the land speaks to him. "Agreed, friend. Nature is always trying to speak," she says, raising her head. "You're suggesting the caves, then, to get closer to the earth?"

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Ayslam finishes eating and begins to pack his things, readying for the road I think he said the marshes. There is, after all, a mad mage who lives in the caves. Or near them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

10. - Top - End - #70

Amber falls silent as the inkeeper talks, nodding off and on to the information he is sharing. "Excuse me? Can you tell me where in this keep I can go to purchase a crossbow?"
    The innkeeper rubs his chin a moment in thought. "There's a provisioner and a trading post back towards the main gate. I'm sure one of them will have what you are looking for."

Note to all my players and Game Masters: I am not online Fridays after 3:00 pm EST till Mondays around 7:00 am EST.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

The innkeeper rubs his chin a moment in thought. "There's a provisioner and a trading post back towards the main gate. I'm sure one of them will have what you are looking for."

comes to get more alcohol

"Trade?

And drinks less merrily than the evening before, with his eyes only half open, when he does open them for some time

"If there's dangerous beasties I think I'd better!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Trying to get a Longbow (50gp).
    Besides a shortbow (25gp) Rolen has to trade:
    10gp minus whatever he just spent on food, lodging and drinks.

A hooded lantern (5gp)

A hunting trap (5gp)

A staff (5 gp)

A dagger (2gp)

Leather armor (10 gp)

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Trying to get a Longbow (50gp).
    Besides a shortbow (25gp) Rolen has to trade:
    10gp minus whatever he just spent on food, lodging and drinks.

A hooded lantern (5gp)

A hunting trap (5gp)

A staff (5 gp)

A dagger (2gp)

Leather armor (10 gp)
    Spoiler: Trade
    Show
    The provisioner has the gear you are looking for and the Tradesman has the weapons. The provisioner is not interested in trade and charges the standard price for the gear. The Tradesman will buy the shortbow off of you for 12gp and has the dagger, longbow and armor at standard price.

13. - Top - End - #73

ElfRogueGirl

"Thank you." Amber grabs her things, already fully packed, and turn towards Dravakar again. "Shall I meet your group back here, or by the gates?"

My Player Registry Entry

14. - Top - End - #74

Planetar

"Thank you." Amber grabs her things, already fully packed, and turn towards Dravakar again. "Shall I meet your group back here, or by the gates?"
    Drav shoulders his own gear and heads out, calling over his shoulder. Meet ye at the gates then!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

(pulls out his rapier, hilt pointed towards the trader to show no hostility)
    "Well, I could throw this in as well but I think I'll try to earn some more coins first, be seeing you"

And heads out and tries to catch up with the Party

"I hope I'm not too late!"

16. - Top - End - #76

MonkGuy

Zarr stands up and follows the Dwarf out the door.

This could be fun. Let's see what evil creatures we can kill.
    Last edited by Jrpergande78; 2019-03-14 at 08:05 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77

Haranna watches the others prepare and head out into the morning air. Not particularly a morning person and still feeling something of the effects of the night before, she takes the last few bites of her breakfast as she stands. "My thanks," she says to the innkeeper, leaving coins to cover her costs. Giving him a nod and a tired smile, she heads outside.

The gates. Orienting herself in that direction, she begins walking. She makes minor adjustments to how her equipment is strapped, giving the sky a thoughtful glance. "Well, I imagine this is happening whatever the weather..." Resolving not to be left behind, she picks up her pace toward the gates.

18. - Top - End - #78

ElfRogueGirl

Amber follows Rolen in the general direction of the provisioner and the tradesman, though she makes a point of staying a more than polite distance behind. She looks back and forth between the two stores, then walked into the tradesman's establishment and gifts him with a somewhat uncertain smile. "I am looking for a crossbow, and bolts to go with it...?"

After concluding her business with the tradesman, Amber takes her new crossbow and bolts back towards the gate, intending to meet the group there.

My Player Registry Entry

19. - Top - End - #79

You gather at the gate to the Keep where one of the guards from yesterday greets you. "Heading out to clear the wilds of the uncivilized monster that inhabit it?" He chuckles for a moment. "Sorry. Many of you adventurers have set off with that in mind. Not all have returned. Where is it you are heading out to explore?"

20. - Top - End - #80

MonkGuy

While looking out in the distance, Zarr answers.

I believe we settled on the marshes? For now none of us are ready to face what appears to be a crazed wizard in the caves.

Zarr continues to study the landscape as she waits for confirmation on whether or not she was correct.

21. - Top - End - #81

"A crazed wizard? That's a new one," he chuckles a moment. "I've talked to many an adventurer who's been out to the caves but none have mentioned a crazed wizard. You sure someone wasn't pulling your leg?"

22. - Top - End - #82

MonkGuy

Mot sure, what was mentioned was there was a possibility that a wizard was in the caves. To my knowledge, there are no reasons for a wizard to be in the caves...unless they were crazed. Anyways, crazed or not, I believe we agree that we are not ready or fully prepared, to handle a wizard.

23. - Top - End - #83

Planetar

"A crazed wizard? That's a new one," he chuckles a moment. "I've talked to many an adventurer who's been out to the caves but none have mentioned a crazed wizard. You sure someone wasn't pulling your leg?"
    Drav chuckles, Aye, well, we were drinkin' last night an' all. But who's t'say what lurks out in yonder wilds? Mayhaps those who met this 'mage' did no come back cuz they're frogs now or worse!

24. - Top - End - #84

ElfRogueGirl

Amber returns from the provisioner, crossbow in hand, and joins the group just in time to overhear the conversation about the wizard in the caves.

"Perhaps those who met the wizard turned into dogs? I heard a rumor about such things in these caves, at a tavern east of here."

While she talks, Amber inspects her crossbow, checks the mechanism, and snags a bolt from the quiver to test how long it takes to load the weapon, all with the focus and economical movements of someone used to taking care of herself while traveling alone.

My Player Registry Entry

25. - Top - End - #85

With a wave of good luck from the one guard, you proceed out of the Keep and back down to the main trade road. The marshes lie to the southeast of the Keep and within less than 30 minutes you find yourselves on the north side of the Goblinwater River which separates the Keep and the Whispering Woods to the north and the Fell Fens to the south. The river moves swiftly from the west to the east, and ranges in depth from about 5 feet to more than 25 feet in places. The few islands are little more than sandbars. Presumable there is a fjord to cross and gain access to the fens. Where do you start?

Area map of the Keep NOTE: This map is from the original B2: Keep on the Borderlands module and therefore is not to spec with the 5e edition. No meta knowledge to help you along.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

As they leave the keep behind, Ayslam truly lets himself stretch for the first time since he arrived. His wings flare out for a moment and with a running start he takes to the air, though remaining in sight of his allies. He lands again when they approach the river, circling down with practiced grace. The tiefling seems to consider the river a moment, then turns to his allies I'd offer to carry you all across, but I'm afraid I don't have the strength to lift even one of you in the air. Anyone have an idea?
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

27. - Top - End - #87

Planetar

Dravakar takes a deep, long breath as they pass out of the keep walls and into the Borderlands Wild proper. He reaches out his senses, feeling the wind, tasting the air and dirt, and hearing the slow shift and rumble of the earth. He breathes out and the air shifts to create a small, brief image of what the weather would be like for the next 24 hours. (Druidcraft)

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    As they leave the keep behind, Ayslam truly lets himself stretch for the first time since he arrived. His wings flare out for a moment and with a running start he takes to the air, though remaining in sight of his allies. He lands again when they approach the river, circling down with practiced grace. The tiefling seems to consider the river a moment, then turns to his allies I'd offer to carry you all across, but I'm afraid I don't have the strength to lift even one of you in the air. Anyone have an idea?
    He spends the brief journey to the Goblinwatch River watching the birds and the horizon, pausing occasionally to throw Ayslam puffs of wind when he gets in range, ruffling the tiefling's hair. It was good to be adventuring.

At the river, Dravakar steps forward. Give me a an hour or so, would be no trouble to get us across. Just have t'ask the earth nicely, like.

Drav begins to chant, accompanied by stomps of his foot and thumps of his chest. He closes his eyes and stomps harder, causing the ground to shake a little. The rumbling extends out and pieces of the earth begin to move, bouncing and shifting out of the way, humping up to create a ford across the river - just shallow enough to cross without much danger.

((With Mold Earth, I can move 15 ft3 of earth with every action. That's just a bit over 1500 pounds of earth every five seconds. Shouldn't take too long to move enough earth to make a shallow crossing at a narrow point in the river.))
    Last edited by atlastrembles; 2019-03-20 at 05:30 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88

MonkGuy

Zarr watches the tiefling as he takes flight and smiles in amusement. She was happy that she herself had no wings as she felt it would make her job to change how people look at tieflings harder.

I am content to wait and see how this spell works out, otherwise, I'm sure there's a fjord we can cross at if need be.

Zarr then takes her glaive to inspect it, and work on its sharpness a bit before placing a nice shine on it.

29. - Top - End - #89

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    As they leave the keep behind, Ayslam truly lets himself stretch for the first time since he arrived. His wings flare out for a moment and with a running start he takes to the air, though remaining in sight of his allies.[/COLOR]
    Amber, who has been trailing a little behind the group while she puts away her crossbow, looks up right in time to see Ayslam run off and take flight. For a moment she just stops and stares, her chin dropping and eyes almost comically wide, but a moment later a huge grin breaks out all over her face. "You can fly!" she exclaims, delighted at the sight. A moment later she quickly rushes to catch up with the group, occasionally glancing up at the flying tiefling with wistful envy.

As the group arrives at the river Amber stays back, watching while Dravakar begins his chant. She glances around, sees that no one is paying attention to her, and eagerly sets course for Ayslam. "Have you always had wings or did they just grow out one day? Was it hard to learn to fly? I never met a tiefling with wings before! Are they annoying in crowds? Do they make shop keepers nervous? Are they-" She stops herself in the middle of a word, blinks and then blushes furiously. "I'm sorry... I, um, I'm babbling."

Amber begins to fidget with the rabbit's foot around her neck as she backs away, studying the ground around her feet rather intently. "I'm... um, I'm going to be quiet now."

My Player Registry Entry

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

Amber, who has been trailing a little behind the group while she puts away her crossbow, looks up right in time to see Ayslam run off and take flight. For a moment she just stops and stares, her chin dropping and eyes almost comically wide, but a moment later a huge grin breaks out all over her face. "You can fly!" she exclaims, delighted at the sight. A moment later she quickly rushes to catch up with the group, occasionally glancing up at the flying tiefling with wistful envy.

As the group arrives at the river Amber stays back, watching while Dravakar begins his chant. She glances around, sees that no one is paying attention to her, and eagerly sets course for Ayslam. "Have you always had wings or did they just grow out one day? Was it hard to learn to fly? I never met a tiefling with wings before! Are they annoying in crowds? Do they make shop keepers nervous? Are they-" She stops herself in the middle of a word, blinks and then blushes furiously. "I'm sorry... I, um, I'm babbling."

Amber begins to fidget with the rabbit's foot around her neck as she backs away, studying the ground around her feet rather intently. "I'm... um, I'm going to be quiet now."
    Aylsam almost jumps back at Amber's sudden barrage of questions and seems unsure of himself for a moment, but tries for confidence at the half-elf's shyness I, uh, ahem... I was born with them. I'd rather not... go into how I first learned to fly. But yes, they tend to make people nervous. Although I don't know if it's much more than... at the last word he gestures to his horns and down the rest of him, the deep red skin and sharp teeth completing his devilish appearance. After that, he seems to quite down as well and folds his wings against his back until he'll need them again.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show