New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Into the Borderlands (5e)

Haranna looks at Amber, then Dravakar. ”I’ll see what they can tell me,” she says in reply to both.

”I believe we would like to aid you,” she says in sylvan, turning back to the nixies. ”What can you tell us of these bullywugs? And what of the reed maze? Where is it and how do we traverse it? Could you lead us there?”

2. - Top - End - #182

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_p View Post
    Haranna looks at Amber, then Dravakar. ”I’ll see what they can tell me,” she says in reply to both.

”I believe we would like to aid you,” she says in sylvan, turning back to the nixies. ”What can you tell us of these bullywugs? And what of the reed maze? Where is it and how do we traverse it? Could you lead us there?”
    "Thank you," the one nixie says. "Of course we can lead you there, they do not make their presence in the fens a secret. They have been here for some time but only recently have they become more aggressive, expanding their territory through brute force. The reed maze is their stronghold. It is only a section of the fens where the reeds have grown wild and tall. They have hacked a maze into the reeds to make it difficult to entire in a direct path.
    Lily: What's happening?
    The Doctor: No idea. Do what I do; hold tight and pretend its a plan.

Note to all my players and Game Masters: I am not online Fridays after 3:00 pm EST till Mondays around 7:00 am EST.

3. - Top - End - #183

Haranna turns to the others and relays this information, adding anything she can think of herself.

”Seems like there’s like to be gained by waiting,” she observes. “Shall we go and deal with this?”

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_p View Post
    Haranna turns to the others and relays this information, adding anything she can think of herself.

”Seems like there’s like to be gained by waiting,” she observes. “Shall we go and deal with this?”
    Aye, a good a lead as any! We could use more allies in these lands as well! Lead on brave ambassador o' the nixies. Dravakar grins and pats Haranna on the shoulder. He turns to the nixies and then makes a "lead on" gesture.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by atlastrembles View Post
    Aye, a good a lead as any! We could use more allies in these lands as well! Lead on brave ambassador o' the nixies. Dravakar grins and pats Haranna on the shoulder. He turns to the nixies and then makes a "lead on" gesture.
    Ayslam watches the exchange with the nixies with casual interest. At the mention they would be continuing on, he nods and follows Dravakar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

6. - Top - End - #186

ElfRogueGirl

Amber straightens up, stops twirling a crossbow bolt between her fingers but keeps it ready as she begins following the grop as well. As she comes up next to Ayslam she glance at him and wonders out loud, and this time in a joking manner, "So, what exactly is a bullywug?"
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

The Adventures of Amber Yarrowhill, IC and OOC

In the Hands of an Angry God June 2017 - November 2018. RIP.

My Player Registry Entry

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by scalyfreak View Post
    Amber straightens up, stops twirling a crossbow bolt between her fingers but keeps it ready as she begins following the grop as well. As she comes up next to Ayslam she glance at him and wonders out loud, and this time in a joking manner, "So, what exactly is a bullywug?"
    Ayslam shrugs.
    Doesn't seem like anyone knows. Can't be much bigger than any of us or we would have seen signs of them, surely. He pulls out an arrow of his own, knocking it but not yet drawing his bow. He was curious himself, having spent his life in cities and not being familiar with the creatures.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

8. - Top - End - #188

Giving Dravakar a bemused look, Haranna joins the others in following the nixies. As they speculate about the creatures they are to face, she wracks her brain for something useful. Surely she’s heard something about bullywugs before...?

9. - Top - End - #189

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    Ayslam shrugs.
    Doesn't seem like anyone knows. Can't be much bigger than any of us or we would have seen signs of them, surely. He pulls out an arrow of his own, knocking it but not yet drawing his bow. He was curious himself, having spent his life in cities and not being familiar with the creatures.
    "That could be a good sign!" Amber brightens noticeably. "If they were horrifying beasts of legend, we would have heard about them."
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

My Player Registry Entry

10. - Top - End - #190

"They're bullies," Haranna says, suddenly, inspiration striking her. "I remember. They look quite frog-like and usually thrive on humiliating those who would trespass on what they consider their land." She looks at the others, then ahead, where the nixies are leading them. "We may be able to threaten them into releasing their captive..."

11. - Top - End - #191

Planetar

Dravakar looks around at his companions and snorts. If these froggies know what's good for 'em, they'll be takin' one look at our massy selves and turn tadpole and swim away!

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by atlastrembles View Post
    Dravakar looks around at his companions and snorts. If these froggies know what's good for 'em, they'll be takin' one look at our massy selves and turn tadpole and swim away!
    Ayslam gives a fiendish grin (not particularly hard for him) and nods I find the best way, if you've been seen, is always to convince your foe they've already lost. Makes taking things far cleaner. His wings unfurl and close several times over, reminiscent of a warrior's rhythmic movements before battle.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

13. - Top - End - #193

It takes close to half an hour to traverse the fens from the island where you encountered the nixies to a small waterway near a section of tall reeds. The nixies crouch down as if their smaller stature wasn't enough already to keep them from being seen. The one nixie points across the waterway to a patch of reed next to a pond. "That is where the bullywogs have established their lair. We dare not travel closer, they are much to strong for us."
    Last edited by ybn1197; 2019-07-25 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Updated Map

Note to all my players and Game Masters: I am not online Fridays after 3:00 pm EST till Mondays around 7:00 am EST.

14. - Top - End - #194

Planetar

Understanding the universal body language of "we stop here and go no further", Dravakar nods at the nixies despite not knowing their language. He then holds up a finger to his lips to indicate silence and then creeps forward through the reeds, his spear held at the ready.

Stealth - (1d20+2)[14]

15. - Top - End - #195

About to relay the nixies’ words to the others, Haranna thinks better of it as Dravakar suggest a quiet approach. Drawing her axe in readiness, she follows behind the dwarf.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+2)[9]

16. - Top - End - #196

ElfRogueGirl

Amber lifts her crossbow, ready but waiting for a signal from either Dravakar or Haranna before firing. She does her best to be silent but she stays well behind the others, on the assumption that a childhood spent trying to sneak up on her uncles just wasn't the most effective stealth training a girl might have, and it would be a bad idea to alert the bully frogs to the group's presence by trying and failing to be sneaky.

Spoiler: Stealth roll
    Show
    (1d20+5)[11]

My Player Registry Entry

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

Ayslam tries to remain both silent and hidden towards the back of the party. He thinks it might have been wiser for him to scout ahead, but since they're already approaching, the second best is for him to have the drop on their enemies, which means staying a bit further back. He readies an arrow, waiting to draw and fire when trouble shows itself.

Spoiler: stealth
    Show

(1d20+6)[21]
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

18. - Top - End - #198

I've updated the map to indicate the location of the bullywog encampment. It is on the map a couple of posts up and marked with an "X". The group is on the last blue dot of the dotted-line. You will have to cross the creek and travel through the reeds a slight bit before you arrive at their lair. Feel free to change any actions you would like at this time.

19. - Top - End - #199

Following Dravakar inelegantly and likely not all that quietly, Haranna notices that they’re approaching another part of the river that will need to be traversed. Slowing as they reach this, she looks around at the others. ”How do we do this?” She asks quietly.

20. - Top - End - #200

ElfRogueGirl

Amber opens her mouth to speak, then looks at the rest of the group, and closes it again. After a few moments of collective silence, she hesitantly offers a suggestions.

"Well, you said they are bullies," she nods over at Haranna, "and you", she nods at Absalom, "said the best way to beat them is to convince them they've already lost. So we just need to do that as a group, I guess?"

Amber fidgets a little with her crossbow bolt as she stops talking, and looks over at Haranna and Dravakar again, studying their reactions and listening to their thoughts.

My Player Registry Entry

21. - Top - End - #201

How are you approaching the bullywug lair? It is diaganolly across from your location. There is a large pond to the left of you and a stream in front of you. The stream does not look deep. In fact, most of you should be able to cross it y walking based on what you can see.

22. - Top - End - #202

Haranna turns and listens as Amber speaks, nodding along. ”Works for me,” she says with a broad grin. Eyeing the stream she nods again. “I am confident this can be easily waded. So, the direct approach?”

23. - Top - End - #203

Planetar

Dravakar grins, gripping his spear tight and pointed ahead of him across the stream. Aye, let's show these froggy-wogs who's in charge hereabouts.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Let's go, then. Ayslam prompts them, but tries to stay toward the back as they move forward, keeping a look out for any big frogmen.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

25. - Top - End - #205

With the assent of the group, Haranna hefts her axe, turning toward the stream. Walking forward, she starts wading across, heading for the far bank and whatever might be hidden there.

26. - Top - End - #206

Crossing the open stream, you can not escape the feeling that you are being watched but whenever you turn, you find nothing that would confirm your suspicions. But you do know that the sounds of animals, specifically frogs, has increased the closer you get to the area the nixies indicated was the lair. As you reach the other side of the stream, you see the foliage has thickened and increased in size. Not to an unnatural level but it is certain that the reeds and weeds are thicker and more concealing the further you move into this part of the swamp.

27. - Top - End - #207

ElfRogueGirl

Amber frowns as the growing sense of dread that feels so familiar to standing on a stage and forgetting everything she's been rehearsing, becomes impossible to ignore. She edges a bit closer the whichever group member happens to be standing closest to her, and loads a bolt into her crossbow. "Am I the only one who feels as if we're being watched right now?"

She looks at the foliage all around them, trying to spot the hidden watchers.

Spoiler: Perception check
    Show
    Messed up the syntax, so I put it in the OOC thread instead
    Last edited by scalyfreak; 2019-08-17 at 12:22 PM.

My Player Registry Entry

28. - Top - End - #208

Planetar

Dravakar creeps forward, preparing his spear for a throw at the first sight of frogskin.

Perception - (1d20+5)[7]

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Ayslam nods Little eyes watching us. Keep your own open. he whispers and is sure to look over his shoulder as they get further in.

Spoiler: perception
    Show

(1d20+5)[9]
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

30. - Top - End - #210

Resolving to commit to the direct approach, Haranna pushes through the reeds, making no attempt to be subtle. If something is to happen, best to be at the forefront, she thinks.