New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1484
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 14: "I Deserve A Fancy Butt Emblem."

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Ho Claire, you sweet summer child.
    They're obviously having some celebratory sexing.
    Or they've been fighting and are having make-up sex.
    But it's definitely sex.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Red alert, red alert!
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Red alert, obvious straightforward solution actively avoided! Brace for wacky sitcom solution instead!

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Red alert, obvious straightforward solution actively avoided! Brace for wacky sitcom solution instead!
    Honestly? This is something that I have absolutely done. Well, not exactly, because I don't have a drinking problem. But the scenario is very familiar to me. I'm having a mental problem, refuse to discuss it and pretend everything's okay just so that I don't cause people to worry*, and blow off freely offered help because I feel like I'm "strong enough" even though I'm really not.

In fact, Faye talking to Bubbles here is a step above where I normally get. So I'm gonna withhold judgement here until we see whether it devolves into sitcom wackiness or whether it's treated seriously.

*even though they're worrying anyway because I won't talk to them about it.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Honestly? This is something that I have absolutely done. Well, not exactly, because I don't have a drinking problem. But the scenario is very familiar to me. I'm having a mental problem, refuse to discuss it and pretend everything's okay just so that I don't cause people to worry*, and blow off freely offered help because I feel like I'm "strong enough" even though I'm really not.

In fact, Faye talking to Bubbles here is a step above where I normally get. So I'm gonna withhold judgement here until we see whether it devolves into sitcom wackiness or whether it's treated seriously.

Goddamnit, stop being so effing real. I'm here to snark about webcomics, not reflect on my own behavior.
    "What's done is done."

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Ettin in the Playground

Also the thought of "It's my problem to deal with, I can't let it mess up their plans, because then I'm making it their problem." Which is not a super helpful way to try and take responsibility for my issues, but here we are
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

I do have a drinking problem (15 years sober, but it is still an active disease), and this also feels very real to me. I think we're already getting some sitcom treatment with the burrito response (at least Jeph is looking for the humor in it). You are right, we shall see if there will be a side order of seriousness.

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    I do have a drinking problem (15 years sober, but it is still an active disease), and this also feels very real to me. I think we're already getting some sitcom treatment with the burrito response (at least Jeph is looking for the humor in it). You are right, we shall see if there will be a side order of seriousness.
    Alcohol issues in QC are usually treated reasonable realistically these days. Mainly because Jeph is himself a recovering alcoholic.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Alcohol issues in QC are usually treated reasonable realistically these days.
    Casual use of signal flares however is not. Does Bubbles think those are toys?

I hope this goes well and we don't get another depressing arc.
    "What's done is done."

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hmm. Is it weird if I'm looking at this build up and thinking Dora said no? I mean, she probably said yes, but I'm still getting a vibe of Tai wanting people to comfort her by getting ****faced with her at a bar or something.

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post

I hope this goes well and we don't get another depressing arc.
    Treating it seriously-yet-comedically is what I'm hoping for. Faye going with a chaperone to make sure she stays good? Sensible, realistic thing to do. Faye firing the signal flare and setting the bar on fire for hilarious hijinks? Oh, I so very much hope that happens.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Firbolg in the Playground

Treating it seriously-yet-comedically is what I'm hoping for. Faye going with a chaperone to make sure she stays good? Sensible, realistic thing to do. Faye firing the signal flare and setting the bar on fire for hilarious hijinks? Oh, I so very much hope that happens.
    I don't, unless there's Brun in it, because it's the only way I can think of that joke could be funny again.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

13. - Top - End - #1183

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    When you have flame-retardant skin, bones with a melting point of ~1,600 degrees, can bench-press an SUV and inherently modular/disposable body parts, most things can be employed as toys if you want to.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

14. - Top - End - #1184

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    When you have flame-retardant skin, bones with a melting point of ~1,600 degrees, can bench-press an SUV and inherently modular/disposable body parts, most things can be employed as toys if you want to.
    I'd enjoy a Bubbles-Celia crossover personality (Bubbles not knowing human limits), but I fear it would end very badly for Faye.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Ettin in the Playground

Given Bubbles' prior profession, I rather imagine she is thoroughly familiar with human limits.

16. - Top - End - #1186

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Given Bubbles' prior profession, I rather imagine she is thoroughly familiar with human limits.
    I'm having a Crystal flashback. Lots of gnomes with tiny heads -- fun to crush -- won't run out

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thank you Jeph, for sparing us that particular potential source of drama. I dearly hope he doesn't cause this development to crash and burn. Just let somebody have a happy relationship that stays happy.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

this may be the perfectest 4 panel ever
    each one is spot on

1) announcement! now fawn over us

2) relief we were wrong to be thinking the worst

3) Really?

4) well..as he himself says..good recoveries
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

19. - Top - End - #1189

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    this may be the perfectest 4 panel ever
    each one is spot on

1) announcement! now fawn over us

3) Really?
    Two people formally applying for tax exemptions really isn't all THAT interesting... (Source: I'm doing it next year, it's tedious as hell)

I hope Jimbo turns up at some point, though. They're in a bar, so there's a reasonable chance that he's already there somewhere, and I enjoy his anecdotes. It might also have been nice if Dora had invited Penny, and Raven, and Cosette, and Dale... Y'know, the people she spends all day with and some of whom were stood in the room with her at the time it was announced...

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Two people formally applying for tax exemptions really isn't all THAT interesting... (Source: I'm doing it next year, it's tedious as hell)
    I'm inclined to agree with you. Our cultural emphasis on the significance of marriage is a relic of an earlier time in which it was both the definitive endpoint of one's romantic life, with divorce being rare and something of a taboo, and marriage being the only situation under which cohabitation was acceptable (at least to the majority of society). Neither fact is the case anymore, but comedies which use marriage as a convenient shorthand to denote a permanent and successful ending and a heavy amount of marketing from the purveyors of overpriced white party materiel keep the notion alive. Two people getting married is far less significant (aside from the financial cost) than their being able to stay married over a long period of time, or even than their becoming romantically involved in the first place.

21. - Top - End - #1191

Griffon

I mean, if anyone out there is deeply in romantic love with another person and are intending on formally binding themselves together forever in the near future, I'm not here to crap on your dreams. Go be happy, I implore you.

That being said... Dora and Tai are in the early-mid-to-mid 20's, they have been together for a few years now and last time they were seen, one of them was down on one knee in mid-proposal. "We're engaged!" really isn't so much of a bombshell that each and every one of your closest friends - including the one who witnessed the proposal - should be shocked and amazed by it?

Although to be fair, I could say the same thing about Dora killing and eating Tai in a fit of neurotic self-doubt. I don't even know how that would work, but it'd still be more "shocking" that it would be "surprising"....

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    I'm inclined to agree with you. Our cultural emphasis on the significance of marriage is a relic of an earlier time in which it was both the definitive endpoint of one's romantic life, with divorce being rare and something of a taboo, and marriage being the only situation under which cohabitation was acceptable (at least to the majority of society). Neither fact is the case anymore, but comedies which use marriage as a convenient shorthand to denote a permanent and successful ending and a heavy amount of marketing from the purveyors of overpriced white party materiel keep the notion alive. Two people getting married is far less significant (aside from the financial cost) than their being able to stay married over a long period of time, or even than their becoming romantically involved in the first place.
    1) A lot of people still care about getting married for reasons that have nothing to do with tax breaks or being manipulated by marketing.

2) The status of a big official marriage with all the leadup and rigamarole in the past is somewhat overstated depending on the time and place and social "rung" in question, based, ironically, on a somewhat artificial presentation of the long past during the more recent past.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Ack! They are one of those couples! I, for one, appreciate Jeph's choice of camera angles.

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

See, Faye. It's fine. No one is going to force you to drink if you go to a bar. What did she expect, the bartender to threaten her wirh a deadly weapon if she ordered a water? Could you imagine?

25. - Top - End - #1195

Griffon

Marten, take a hint when it hits you between the eyes with a crowbar.

Which do you think is more likely? That your mentally exhausted girlfriend has, within the space of an hour or two, scoured the entire 50 mile radius around your house for wedding venues, cross-referenced all of their pertinent details and alphabetised them in a convenient spreadsheet...

...or that she already had said spreadsheet ready and waiting? For "reasons"?

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Ettin in the Playground

Marten, take a hint when it hits you between the eyes with a crowbar.

Which do you think is more likely? That your mentally exhausted girlfriend has, within the space of an hour or two, scoured the entire 50 mile radius around your house for wedding venues, cross-referenced all of their pertinent details and alphabetised them in a convenient spreadsheet...

...or that she already had said spreadsheet ready and waiting? For "reasons"?
    She's a known shipper. Said reason could very easily be just "Tai and Dora would be adorable together as a married couple and I need to.be prepared"
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    She's a known shipper. Said reason could very easily be just "Tai and Dora would be adorable together as a married couple and I need to.be prepared"
    Dont forget she is also kinda squeeing over faye and bubbles as well. And even without the shipping virus some girls are really big into planning their perfect wedding so it wouldnt shock me if she has been updating this list ever since she first transitioned. All that said, yes its also possible that she is wistfully thinking about her and marten getting together permanently. Its just not the only explanation.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Ettin in the Playground

All things considered, my opinion of Bubbles just dropped considerably. Never was all that high to begin with, but it now bombed.

I mean, yes, there are better beers than IPAs. Porters and stouts come readily to mind, especially their imperial version.

But c'mon! You do not mock IPA! They are some of the finest nectars I've had a privilege to sample.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Ogre in the Playground

IPAs are okay but some brewers do need to learn that more hops doesn't automatically mean better.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Bubbles description of beer pretty much is how I describe it.