Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 510 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Sieghard

    "It is and he would be," Sieghard answered. "But the fool seems set on stirring up trouble despite that. I've already sent for men to keep you and your boats safe. I don't know much about the man myself, so more you can tell me about him would help. How he usually does things, how much influence he has around the docks, that sort of thing."

  2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LCP's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Savonne, 19th Vorgeheim

    Burhan shrugged. "He took over after the elf fell. Got a hold of the Crimson Shade business after Jasper Greenapple disappeared, made himself rich enough to squash the competition. Apart from the smuggling it's mostly protection money, particularly in the docks. He used to run with a dockside gang in the Wolf Pit days is what I've heard. Has a lot of the stevedores in his pocket."

    "We could pay him off, treat it as a necessary expense..." Burhan sighed, "...but I won't lie to you, commander, it wouldn't be cheap. If you're willing to give us the men then let's let him try his luck against the Captain's colours. He might find out he's been a big fish in a very small pond."

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Again, there's no reason you can't simultaneously cut ahead to whatever it is you want to talk to Elsa & Urgrim about.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

    WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

    Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

    WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

  3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Sieghard with Burhan

    "I don't have what he's after. Paying him off isn't an option, and I'm not the sort to give into demands from his sort even if it was," Sieghard said. "If you're not already, start sleeping somewhere close to your boats. It'll be easier to keep watch if everything's in the same place."

    Sieghard, Elsa, Urgrim

    Once the others had arrived, he ordered his men into position around the warehouse and boats and told them to stay alert for anyone moving about the docks. After that, he gestured Elsa and Urgrim aside to speak.

    "Urgrim probably told you on the walk here, but the meeting didn't go well," Sieghard said. "Ugly bastard seems to think I can supply his shade trade and since I won't, he's planning on stirring up trouble. Did Morrslieb see anyone matching what I told you leaving the Fish? He's got a fake brass nose covering the hole where the real one should be. Had a dog and four of his thugs with him."

  4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LCP's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Savonne, 19th Vorgeheim

    "I'll sleep on the riverbank if that's what it takes," said Burhan. He shook Sieghard's hand again. "Thank you, commander. For the warning, and the help. It'll mean something to show the rest of the town he can't bully whoever he pleases." He smiled. "I'm sure there are plenty of others out there who'll be looking for a chink in No-Nose's armour."
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-03-28 at 03:42 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

    WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

    Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

    WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

  5. - Top - End - #485
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    -Sentinel-'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Elsa, Sieghard and Urgrim

    Elsa could not help but think that, given everything she had faced so far, dealing with the likes of Dragos was a waste of her time and abilities. Still, she answered the call without a word of complaint; it was not as if she and Morrslieb were especially busy these days.


    "Did Morrslieb see anyone matching what I told you leaving the Fish? He's got a fake brass nose covering the hole where the real one should be. Had a dog and four of his thugs with him."

    "Wait a moment," said Elsa. She asked Morrslieb, though she ensured to describe the fake nose as shiny, a word that surely Morrslieb would understand.

    She relayed Morrslieb's answer: "Dragos and his men left not long after you did. Why do you ask? Do you need to find them, or go someplace where they're not?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer
    A Wretched Hive (DH) as Nathias Falkner, forger and pilot

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

  6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Sieghard with Burhan

    "Thank me after he's been dealt with," Sieghard replied bluntly. "And if you know any of those people who want to see him put in his place, send them to speak with me tomorrow."

    Sieghard, Elsa, Urgrim

    Sieghard's expression darkened. "Have you ever known me to run away?" he snapped. "I want to know where he went and if anyone left there after he went in."

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    Elsa could not help but think that, given everything she had faced so far, dealing with the likes of Dragos was a waste of her time and abilities.
    Gee, thanks Elsa. Not like he's threatening the supply lines we're supposed to be securing and we're already stretched thin or anything.

    Here's my thoughts on it... Sieghard asked Elsa to have Morrslieb to follow them when they left, so we'll have the location of their hideout. Presumably they've set it up to be defensible, barging in blindly would be very dangerous. Unless Elsa and Ungrim are in favor of just going for it now, I'm inclined to wait until either Ludo returns or the situation changes enough to warrant immediate action. Him returning puts more men at our disposal and gives us some time to stake the place out. The best time to act would be after that but before Burhan's ships set sail... Short of waiting until all of the new recruits have been trained, it's when we'll have the most to work with.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-03-29 at 01:44 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LCP's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Morrslieb

    Morrslieb had followed Dragos and his cronies south along the river, to an old, sagging house not far from the bridge. It didn't look like much, standing in the midst of warehouses and piers, but a good number of lights were burning in its windows. Dragos went inside and didn't re-emerge.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

    WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

    Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

    WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

  8. - Top - End - #488
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    -Sentinel-'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Elsa relayed Morrslieb's observations to Sieghard.

    "You're the man with the plan. I'm just here to set things on fire."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer
    A Wretched Hive (DH) as Nathias Falkner, forger and pilot

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

  9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Sieghard, Elsa, Urgrim

    "If I thought it could be done without spreading to half the buildings on the docks, I'd just bar the doors and let you burn it," Sieghard said. "I'm not keen to rush in without knowing more about what I'm up against." That was a mistake he had no intention of repeating. "I guess just keep Morrslieb watching the building for another hour or so. If he sees anything we need to be worried about, send him back here and have him start cawing and flapping. If not, send him anyways and have him sleep somewhere near enough that if there's any trouble, the noise will wake him and you can respond as needed."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Unless anyone objects to what I said in the OOC part of my last post, I'm done for now. Sieghard will divide the men into two watches and those not currently on duty can stay inside the warehouse. He doesn't expect Elsa or Urgrim to join him, but if either of them choose to there will be a PC on each watch.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-03-29 at 10:47 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LCP's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Watches were set and orders made clear to the men Elsa and Urgrim had brought with them from the keep. Leaving Morrslieb to his solitary vigil over the house among the piers, the three of them headed back through the river gate and towards their respective beds.



    20th Vorgeheim - Savonne

    Sieghard & Urgrim

    Marktag dawned to the shouting of traders and the clatter of handcarts. Before the sun had even been an hour in the sky, the first of the farmers from the eastern Downs were sighted, bringing sacks of their produce over the old dwarf bridge. The section of makeshift wooden repairs where Ludo had blown it up creaked as the wheels of their carts passed over.

    Dragos’ promised retribution had failed to materialise, and Burhan was eager to begin the work. All three of the barges he had secured for the job were standing by: their names were the Katren, the Greenfish, and the Dancing Jenny. It seemed to Urgrim that Sieghard had met Captain Edelman of the Jenny somewhere before: the two of them exchanged grunts of acknowledgement, but little else.

    The Jenny was a big vessel, more than capable of carrying cargo, men, and carts all together up to the Silver Falls. Katren and the Greenfish were a little smaller; it was these vessels that Burhan hoped to have loaded up and on their way first. All was in readiness for them to depart as soon as their holds were full: they even had Brother Jakub down from the Temple, nailing a written prayer to Azriller for a smooth journey to the mast of the Greenfish. Jakub and the boat captains were clearly on friendly terms: after the blessing was done, they repaired to the Fat Fish together for a drink or three.

    “At the rate the goods are coming in, the Greenfish could head upriver tomorrow,” said Burhan, rubbing his hands as he walked side-by-side with Sieghard through the bustle of the farmers unloading. “The rest will probably be ready by the end of the week. You’ll be wanting to have some of your people on board? We ought to have space.”



    Elsa

    Morrslieb had reported nothing untoward during the night, though Elsa suspected her familiar could sleep through a fair amount of trouble when he felt like it. She had scarcely got out of her chambers, however, when she got the message she had been truly dreading: a summons from the lady Sforza.

    “It’s been three days, Hildebrand,” said Irene, fanning herself delicately as she took the air along the parapet of the east wall. One of her handmaidens trailed behind with her parasol, doing her best to keep her mistress in the shade. “I presume you have an answer for me on the matter of the dwarfs?”
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-03-29 at 11:24 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

    WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

    Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

    WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

  11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Sieghard

    "A boat traveling alone is vulnerable," Sieghard told Burhan. "Even with soldiers on board, it splits up the men I can spare to guard it if we send it ahead of the others. If Dragos means to get in our way and learned it was setting out alone, it would make a tempting target. He could have wreckers sent up river or something of the sort." It's what Sieghard would do if their positions were reversed. And if that did happen, it would draw some of Dragos's own men away from the city. "We'll let him think that. Spread word that I want the boats moving as soon as possible and that the Greenfish sets out tomorrow. And when tomorrow comes, we'll find some reason for delay... Bad omens from the priests or some such."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-03-30 at 02:28 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #492
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    -Sentinel-'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    “It’s been three days, Hildebrand,” said Irene, fanning herself delicately as she took the air along the parapet of the east wall. One of her handmaidens trailed behind with her parasol, doing her best to keep her mistress in the shade. “I presume you have an answer for me on the matter of the dwarfs?”
    What does it matter to you? Elsa wanted to snap. What's done is done. Nothing will be accomplished by finding the person responsible.

    She forced herself to calm down, tempting as it was to push Lady Sforza off the wall.

    "Word's that the dwarfs sent an expedition west," she said, wishing they were not having this conversation in the presence of a servant. "To the pyramid in the desert, where the Jackal was imprisoned according to local folklore. Only two out of six returned. What they saw, one can only guess, but it's not unreasonable to think that they can put two and two together and figure out what's at stake. I mean, the thing we're talking about was mentioned at the Conclave, so it's hardly the best-kept secret in the Reaches."


    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Charm 39: (d100)[56]
    Fortune: (d100)[62]

    Bleh.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-03-30 at 03:59 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer
    A Wretched Hive (DH) as Nathias Falkner, forger and pilot

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

  13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LCP's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Sieghard

    "Understood," said Burhan. He grinned. "Exciting, all this, isn't it?"

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Any other business before advancing the day?





    Elsa

    Irene gave Elsa a look of mingled pity and contempt.

    "A little bird told them. Is that really the best you can do?" She arched one delicate eyebrow. "Honestly, you might save yourself the embarrassment and just admit it. I'm not going to have you thrown off the wall." She looked out over the town. <Much as I'd like to,> she murmured under her breath.

    With a dramatic sigh, she turned back to Elsa. "Alright, Hildebrand. You made this mess, you can clean it up. This matter of the dwarfs is all yours. They've been sending me letters almost daily, I'm sure you won't find it hard to set up a meeting. Just try not to offend them too deeply." She patted Elsa on the shoulder as she glided past like a ship under sail. "If you can."

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not going to insist on playing out meeting with the Dwimmulsons IC unless you want to. The two things they've offered are Dwimmulson guards for the book, and money for a bounty on Klammenberg/info regarding Astoria's murder - if you want to give me an OOC answer on these things we quickly work out an outcome.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

    WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

    Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

    WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

  14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Sieghard

    Sieghard would've described things as annoying rather than exciting. He hated having to tiptoe around a thug with too high a sense of his own worth when the only thing keeping him from dealing with him directly was the fact that his men were stretched as thin as Sforza's suply lines. Still, he supposed it was preferable to Burhan being anxious about what Dragos might do.

    "I suppose so," Sieghard muttered.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, there's another potential vulnerability to cover. I don't know how he would've heard about it, but if Dragos somehow knows about Sussman's shipment, that's another place he could strike. It's supposed to arrive in Ravenskird today, so Ludo should reach Savonne some time tomorrow or the next day at the latest. Sieghard wants to send a small party of Thorns south join up with Ludo's group. We'll say the group consists of Gustaf and the 3 nameless scouts and they'll be given the use of the two riding horses. Sieghard won't mention Dragos specifically, but will tell them he's worried about thugs from the city targeting the food shipment. Their orders are to avoid any potential confrontation until they find Ludo, warn him, and help scout ahead after they do. If there is an ambush waiting on the way back north, Sieghard would rather they avoid a fight if Ludo think's it's possible. If it isn't, he wants captives if possible and no survivors otherwise. He also wants any bodies brought back. Thragka, this whole thing strikes me as the sort of thing Urgrim would be well suited to if you're interested in having him go with.

    Aside from that, Sieghard will continue on as he has been since last night. Watches kept around the boats, warehouse, and Burhan. He'll ask Elsa to send Morrslieb back to keep an eye on the house Dragos went into and to let him know if anything suspicious comes up. He'll also give instructions that he wants the new recruits to stay in their barracks when not training and any of the more experienced men who decide to go drinking or whatever are to stay in groups when they do. When not otherwise busy, Sieghard will stay with the group on guard duty and will join in on one of the night watches.

    If Elsa could give Sieghard a general description of the building from a bird's eye view (relative size, number of floors, doors, and window), that would also be good to know.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-03-31 at 03:10 AM.

  15. - Top - End - #495
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    -Sentinel-'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Elsa with Irene

    "Fine! Let's go with that, yes," sighed Elsa. "I did it."

    She felt she still had to downplay the situation in some way. "Their demand for dwarf guards is out of the question, of course, but if they're offering a bounty for Klammenberg, I've no objection to that."


    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    She patted Elsa on the shoulder as she glided past like a ship under sail.
    That will require a WS test for Irene. Elsa does not like to be condescendingly patted on the shoulder.


    Re: dwarfs: Elsa is not willing to let the dwarfs set their own guards, but she would allow some kind of dwarf liaison who may come check on the book room at any time and make sure the guards are taking their job seriously. (Letting them regularly check on the book itself would be a hassle since it would force Elsa to cast her Magic Alarm over and over.)

    We could also allow the dwarfs to get to know the human guards assigned to the books, e.g. via a night of drinking. If the dwarfs have any misgivings about some of the guards, those guards will be reassigned to other duties, as long as the dwarfs are being reasonable about it and not obviously trying to get everyone fired over flimsy excuses. And yes, I know that 'reasonable dwarfs' is asking for a lot.

    In addition, we could offer the dwarfs a solution to prove that the book has been left undisturbed: let them use sand (or some similar substance) to trace dwarf runes on top of the chest, so that any attempt to open the chest would erase the runes. I am assuming that the dwarfs have too little faith in humans to believe them capable of reproducing the runes perfectly.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-03-31 at 09:30 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer
    A Wretched Hive (DH) as Nathias Falkner, forger and pilot

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

  16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LCP's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Elsa, 20th Vorgeheim

    “At last”, said Irene, pausing on the steps down to the courtyard. “Isn’t it so much easier to tell the truth?”

    She waved a hand vaguely in Elsa’s direction. “I’m not interested in the particulars. Set up your meeting with the dwarfs and come back to me when you have it sorted out.” She sniffed. “And perhaps you might take a bath before meeting with them. Small courtesies, you know.”

    With her handmaiden hurrying after her, she descended regally out of sight.



    Backertag, 21st Vorgeheim

    Savonne

    Adelbert was at his early morning prayers when he heard a commotion from the back of the temple. Rising to investigate, he found Brother Grigore in a state of considerable agitation. Brother Jakub, he said, was dead.

    The Azrillite had been found in an alley by the docks, presumably having been waylaid on his way back from the Fat Fish late the previous night. A drunken stevedore had found him in the early hours and raised the alarm. Grigore was on his way back there now, with a bevy of Raqiyah’s initiates to retrieve the body. Hurriedly gathering up his things, Adelbert made to accompany them.

    A number of the guards Sieghard had posted in the docks had by now been drawn to the scene of the crime, and proved useful in keeping gawking bystanders away - although in this narrow alley, it was impossible for a crowd as large as the one that had formed around Astoria to gather. They let the priests through without issue, doing their best to keep their eyes directed away from the body.

    A sickening sense of déjà vu settled in Adelbert’s stomach as he looked down at Jakub’s corpse. Like Astoria, his throat had been savagely torn open, his face above the gory wound ashen pale. Like Astoria, the amount of blood soaked into the dirt of the street beneath him belied the severity of the injury that had killed him. He didn’t seem to have put up as much of a fight as the caballera, lacking the deep cuts and scratches that Adelbert had seen on her arms, but he had clearly seen his attacker before the end. The dead monk’s face, usually so sanguine and composed in life, was contorted in a rictus of terror.
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-04-01 at 09:30 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

    WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

    Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

    WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

  17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Sieghard

    Sieghard and half a dozen of his men had already been at the site of the murder when Adelbert arrived. He nodded to acknowledge his friend, but said nothing.

    Bad omens from the priests, indeed.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Presumably not since there was no night-time interruption, but I have to be sure... Did Sieghard hear anything last night? I mentioned in my plans that he would be joining his men at the docks on watch duty, so he wasn't far away when this happened.

  18. - Top - End - #498
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Adelbert

    Adelbert had discussed the little he had managed to learn with the other priests - including an eyewitness description of what he (Adelbert) believed to be Nehekharan pictograms and what sounded suspiciously like Klammenberg. 'There is also this dwarf who personally visited the Red Pyramid who I believe might provide good testimony,' he had said to Hieronymous only the evening before.

    The discovery of Jakub's body ended any lingering feelings this might be the work of Kelda, dead or alive. After a hard glance at the corpse he motioned Sieghard aside for a quiet word:

    'I think we might have to get Elsa out here... and I don't just mean to investigate this latest death but to patrol the streets at night. She's the most powerful of us by far and if our killer is drawn to something other than a random victim she might be the bait to lay a trap.'

  19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Sieghard

    "Absolutely not," Sieghard said. "Elsa may be able to do the most with her magic, but that doesn't mean she can protect herself. A single arrow was enough to almost kill her back on the desert road. And whoever did this killed Astoria. You may not have seen her fight, but I did. She killed Rorik. I fought the man twice and only managed to scratch his armor. The one killing people is more dangerous than any man has a right to be."

    He looked back towards where the Morrites were retrieving the body. "A curfew, maybe," he muttered. "I'd love to set patrols, but there's just not enough men even if the city was half the size."

  20. - Top - End - #500
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Adelbert

    Adelbert had pretty much expected Siegard's response to be exactly that - which didn't make it any more comforting to hear.

    'I think it's clear we're dealing with more than a mundane killer and given that we simply can't afford to keep the person best equipped both to recognise and to deal with magic away from the streets. I mean you said it yourself; this killer murdered Astoria. I doubt a patrol group of Thorns would fair better.'

    He shook his head. 'Quite frankly Sieghard I think Elsa would be better able to defend herself than you would yourself if we're dealing with some sort of dark magic.'

  21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Sieghard

    "I'm not pretending I'd do any better than her," Sieghard grumbled. "That's exactly why I think it's a terrible idea. The killer is going after people who are alone. Maybe he's dangerous enough to kill anyone he goes after, but could he kill two men? Three? Five? Could he do it before one of them blows a horn and raises the alarm?"
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-04-02 at 01:07 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #502
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Adelbert

    'Possibly, or more likely he won't appear if a troop of soldiers are clanking along,' Adelbert replied. 'But even if he does appear you've seen what fear can do to a soldier and if our friend is using illusions I imagine he's an expert at employing them.'

    Adelbert fought back the temptation to bring up the fact he (Adelbert) had repeatedly seen him (Sieghard) either paralyzed or sent fleeing when confronted with things beyond his ken. Hopefully Sieghard would remember those moments on his own.

  23. - Top - End - #503
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    -Sentinel-'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Elsa joined the small crowd around Jakub's body not long after, having been informed of the presence of a corpse by the ever-watchful (and ever-hungry) Morrslieb. She cursed softly.

    She nodded in approval at Sieghard's mention of a curfew. "We may lack manpower, but we wouldn't really need to patrol the streets. Just make sure the shops, taverns and brothels close early and stay closed. Once we do that, most honest people will have little reason to go out after dark."

    Adelbert's suggestion to have her walk the streets alone did not fill her with enthusiasm. She would rather not admit it in front of so many people, but if she were attacked by surprise, she would likely die just as easily as Astoria had. Magic could act like a sixth sense but, like any sense, it could go to sleep if one was tired or distracted.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-04-02 at 06:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer
    A Wretched Hive (DH) as Nathias Falkner, forger and pilot

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

  24. - Top - End - #504
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Adelbert

    A little surprised to see Elsa herself make an appearance Adelbert turned to her.

    'Quite frankly I don't think we'll accomplish anything without people with godsight on the streets and that means us Elsa. Perhaps going on one's lonesome might be too risky but we need eyes and out and about that can tell when magic is being used and I can say this without ego no one in the reaches has faced more in the way of horrors than us.'

  25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Sieghard

    "He had his throat torn out. Bit early to assume there's magic involved, isn't it?" Sieghard said. He glanced back towards the docks. "Probably better if we don't need to do any more than make sure places close at nightfall. Until the other problem's been dealt with, I doubt I have the men for more."

  26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Thragka's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    London

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Urgrim

    Urgrim's hand went to the carved pendant of Valaya that he had taken to keeping in his shirt pocket. "Home and hearth," he muttered in Khazalid. They weren't the right words for a human, but the ancestor-gods opposed all of the dawi's foes - and certainly this was the work of one such.

    He took one knee beside the corpse as the humans debated the merits of civic response. His eyes lingered on Jakub's ripped throat, and then moved to street below. He ran one stubby finger along the ground, lifting it to examine the dirt accumulated on the tip.

    "Stubbs thought your late friend might have died the same way as the woman in the pyramid," he said, rising to his feet. But the sacrificial victim was not killed like this. Her neck was cut cleanly. This is animalistic."

    He turned his finger outwards to them, so they could see the colour of the dirt on its tip. "Where's the blood?"
    Avatar by LCP

  27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Sieghard

    "Astoria was the same way," Sieghard muttered. "Attacked like that, there should be more. A lot more."

  28. - Top - End - #508
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LCP's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    The four of them moved aside as Raqiyah’s initiates lifted Jakub’s body onto their wooden bier. A cloth was draped over him to avoid undue alarm to passers-by on their way back to the temple.

    “Who would do a thing like this?” Grigore said to Adelbert as he passed, still seeming very shaken up by the whole experience. “I will see his body taken back to the monastery at Putbad. He should be put to rest with his brothers of the order, not in the town that killed him.”

    Sticking close together, the small band of clergy headed back towards the river gate with their grisly cargo.



    Adelbert

    In the days that followed, Adelbert did his best to drum up support among the different orders of the Temple for his night-time patrols. He didn’t have a great deal to work with: the Azrillite presence in Savonne had been cut in half by Jakub’s death, and the cult of Taal and Rhya had not returned within the walls since Mother Gaertner had been killed. The Shallyans at least were not short on priests, but their services were in constant demand - besides which, Mother Constanza brusquely explained, her sisters were strict pacifists, and would be of no use to Adelbert in hunting down any beast or murderer.

    Mother Raqiyah was the only cult leader who was of use. She consented to Brother Liebrecht and the older initiates joining Adelbert’s search, though only on condition that the initiates themselves agreed. Together with Elsa (wearing her less conspicuous travelling clothes), the priests swept the streets around the sites of the killings, sometimes in one group, sometimes in two. They found nothing conclusive, but both Adelbert and Elsa felt the sense of menace that seemed to hang in the air of the Old Town after dark.

    Hieronymus listened to Adelbert’s accounts of the searches with interest, himself seeming to have decided that he was more likely to find the answer to the killings in books than in going outside and looking at the evidence. A large heap of books had accumulated on his desk, and he was always going back to his shelves for more. “You must introduce me to this dwarf,” he reminded Adelbert at every opportunity. “An expedition to the pyramid! He may be privy to knowledge that has been lost for thousands of years. It ought to be recorded.” He shook his head. “A pity indeed that relations between the Dwimmulhold and the low town have become so… strained. We would both stand to benefit from working more closely together.”


    Elsa

    Elsa, meanwhile, was working on exactly that. After a preliminary meeting with the Dwimmulsons’ delegation in the Duke of Aquitaine - in which she got the distinct impression that the white-bearded Skorgrund trusted her about as far as he would a greased goblin - she managed to secure agreement that the Dwimmulsons would provide gold for a bounty on Klammenberg’s head, as well as a ‘proper dwarf-made chest’ for the book. An equally grating conversation with Irene secured a little more money from the Captain’s purse, which after the expenses of parchment and printing had been deducted still made for quite a considerable bounty. Savonne had nothing like the printing presses of Altdorf, but a woodblock printer’s in Rockshadow agreed to take the commission, and soon Sieghard’s men had the additional duty of plastering up posters in every district of the city. They read:

    For the capture of the northerner JOHANNES KLAMMENBERG, who may be maskerading as a DOKTOR OF MEDICINE, travelling with his companion UDOLF
    Or information ledinge to his certaine capture
    A bountie of ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY-SIX CROWNS is offered in the joint names of CAPTAIN MUZIO SFORZA and RINN ELMENDRIN DWIMMULSON.
    Apply at the citadel for your rewarde.

    Underneath was a crude carving of Klammenberg’s face, as it had been described to the printers. It was a fair attempt, but Elsa couldn’t help but observe that since Adelbert had grown his goatee, it also looked quite like him.

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I haven’t included Elsa spreading word that she’s on the lookout for an apprentice, as that seems like a slow burn sort of thing, but if you want to start seeding rumours a Gossip test would be appropriate.



    Urgrim

    While the umgi went about their other business, Urgrim continued his dogged investigations around Half Moon Alley. He found it harder going by himself: the Dwimmulsons had set themselves apart from the human population of Savonne by inciting Groz and the northern alliance to the first siege, and all dwarfs were tainted by association. With some persistence, he managed to talk his way into the house of the late Marta, though he sensed that he was still far from being trusted by her surviving relatives.

    Yes, they said, a doctor had visited during Marta’s sickness, while the quarantine was in force. He had been stuck inside after the barricades went up, and had visited several families on the street. He had charged a very modest fee, and recommended that Marta be allowed plenty of fresh air, red meat and water, and that they should not crowd or smother her, particularly while sleeping. If they had need of him, he had said, they should ask for Doctor Schnitter at the Butcher’s Head, and the landlord there would relay the message. Not finding that his advice did anything to improve Marta’s condition, they had not called on him again.

    Having given him their answers, they seemed quite eager to send Urgrim on his way. Leaving by the back door, Urgrim noticed a series of small chalk marks on the frame, arranged in a column. They were old and smudged, but from what he could make out, they looked disturbingly like the carved symbols he had seen on the walls of the Red Pyramid.


    Sieghard

    Sieghard, regrettably, had little time for the investigation. He had tied himself to the docks until such time as Ludo got back, watching and waiting for Dragos’ first move. It seemed to be a long time in materialising.

    Burhan did a fine job of circulating the rumour that the first shipment was ready to leave, and each morning Sieghard and he ‘unfortunately’ pushed it back another day. This caused some discontent among the boatmen, though not as much as the news of Brother Jakub’s death. Happening as it had the night after he had blessed the boats, it was seen by one and all as a terrible omen. Burhan had his work cut out mollifying the three captains, who in turn had to mollify their crews.

    It was on Konigstag evening that Burhan came to Sieghard in a state of some agitation. While taking inventory in the warehouse, he had discovered that the barrels of cheese and smoked meats that Ludo had secured from the eastern Downs had gone missing. While they were perhaps the smallest part of the coming shipment by volume, they were the most expensive by weight, and would sell for a pretty sum. Sieghard’s men said they had seen nothing out of the ordinary all through the previous day and night, which could only mean either that the thieves had some hidden way into the warehouse… or, as Nat Zollner pointed out, that some of the guards were on the take.



    Angestag, 24th Vorgeheim

    Rattling back over the bridge of Savonne at the head of a caravan loaded with goods, Ludo tried not to feel too much pride as he passed over the part he had personally blown up. The return leg through the south-east downs had been much more tranquil than his journey down the western bank, and he had picked up twelve more recruits to add to the ranks of the militia. All in all, it had been a successful trip, even if it didn’t quite measure up to the success of the first.

    Reaching the other side of the bridge, he noticed with surprise the large numbers of Thorns patrolling the docks, and the poster of Klammenberg's face that had been pasted to a nearby wall. Burhan and Sieghard had come out to greet him, accompanied by Captain Edelman and a crew of stevedores to unload the wagons. He could see by Sieghard’s face that something was up.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

    WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

    Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

    WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

  29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Thragka's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    London

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Midweek, week of 18th Vorgeheim

    Urgrim


    "My thanks for your time," Urgrim said when it became clear that he had exhausted Marta's relatives' hospitality. "And I'm sorry for your loss. I will pray for her. With all the gods' blessings, the cause of this plague will be driven from Savonne soon."

    He didn't mean to linger where he was unwelcome, but the sight of the faded chalk on the doorframe did not sit well with him. Whatever these symbols meant, they could only intend evil upon the residents. Even of their purpose had been served by Martha's death, he didn't like to just leave them there, haunting her bereaved. Urgrim licked his thumb and did his best to erase them completely, before turning and setting a purposeful pace to melt away into the crowd.



    Angestag, 24th Vorgeheim

    Urgrim at the docks (Sieghard, Ludo)


    Urgrim went to find Sieghard at the place the commander was most easily found these past days. The sight of the familiar halfling there with the caravan brought a smile to his face. "Hoi, Master Stubbs. Good to have you back. Commander," he added, looking between Ludo and Sieghard. "I've something to tell the two of you about, when you have a moment."

    When he got them aside, he let a wry smile loose on his lips. "Lads, I think I have something. There's a way to contact this doctor fellow." He described what the late Marta's relatives' had told him.

    "Doesn't this sound like what happened to the others? This umgi quack says, 'Give them air, give them space, especially at night when they sleep. And feed them simply, on red meat and water'." The dwarf hesitated. "Red meat ... doesn't that fill you up with blood?" He seemed disturbed by this implication. "Like he's fattening them up.

    "And then the chalk. I think this doctor is ... selecting the prey. This whole thing seems like an animal hunting. The doctor finds a target, he makes sure they're defenceless at night, and then he leaves signs, in this ancient language, for ... for the killer, to know where the victim is.

    "Gold to goblin ****e, the doctor's not at the Butcher's Head - they said the landlord passes the message on. But you've got this ... bird." There was a look on his face as if he couldn't really believe what he was saying; the tone in which he had said 'bird' was much more elevated than when he had said 'goblin'. "Maybe we can find where this doctor is staying. Even better - maybe, with a bit of acting, we can set a trap. For the doctor ... or for the killer."
    Last edited by Thragka; 2019-04-04 at 05:49 AM.
    Avatar by LCP

  30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Sieghard (with Burhan, yesterday)

    "Do we know when they disappeared?" Sieghard asked. "When did you last see the missing barrels?




    Now

    "I think you're probably right," Sieghard said once Urgrim had finished. "But a trap might be more difficult now," he pointed to one of the posters. "Has sure to be on guard." He had them put up when told to, but wasn't happy when he learned they mentioned Klammenberg's doctor disguise. By then most of the posters had long been on display. "And Klammenberg knows what we all look like. We'd need to find someone else to act as bait if we did."

    "There's something else. Nothing to do with him or the killings, but still a problem," He said, leading Urgrim and Ludo towards the warehouse. "Your friend Dragos wouldn't take no for an answer. Promised he's make things difficult for us," he explained for Ludo's benefit. "I've kept everything under guard and not seen any sign of him, but now foods disappearing. Nat thinks maybe some of the men are involved, but I don't think so. Some of them we've had with us since the beginning. The ones who haven't wouldn't be able to sneak food without being noticed."

    He stopped at the door and picked out a few of the men on watch to come with, then went inside. "So maybe Dragos knows some way in that we don't and that the guards can't see. We know there's tunnels under the city - Alvarr used them. Old sewers too. Maybe there's a way in through them. Help me look around."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Search Roll and reroll vs 46 + any bonuses for the help he's getting.

    (1d100)[67]
    (1d100)[83] reroll
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-04-04 at 07:28 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •