New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

"We should move Hieronymous to the castle tonight, whether he wants it or not," said Elsa, who expected some stubbornness from the priest. "And do it as discreetly as possible. As for using the militia to question people... it seems likely to get Klammenberg's attention and make him even more cautious, so I'm not so sure."

She looked thoughtful for a moment. "I think it's odd, how even people who've merely seen Klammenberg go about his business are affected by his magic. Surely he doesn't cast a spell on just anyone who spots him; too dangerous and too much hassle. It's as if he's surrounded by magic that makes people forget about him. I wonder... if he passed close to me, would I feel the disturbance in the Aethyr? I should spend some time in this part of town around sunset. As inconspicuously as possible. And have Morrslieb nearby, as a raven's mind may be too alien to be easily manipulated."

She still had brown hair dye that she had bought the previous year in case she needed to hide her identity. She would also need some makeup capable of masking her tattoos, so she set out to buy some before the stores closed for the evening.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gossip 39 to find makeup to conceal tattoos: (d100)[3]

Elsa will also buy a set of drab grey clothes of a local style, including a hood (common clothing).

Should we continue our current line of investigation in other neighborhoods until late afternoon, or would we rather work on Sieghard's trap?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Titan in the Playground

"Like I said, you should check Burhan." Ludo said. "It might have affected him even if Klammenberg didn't know he was there. And we should move Hieronymous and leave someone with the same sort of build there, in verenan robes. I don't know who we'd know who could be persuaded."

"Or... or leave Hieronymous and use him as the bait himself."
    Ludo said. "I don't think anyone in the militia is the right build and I can't think of anyone else we could use. At least he understands the risks."

"Hang on, I want to test something. Anyone here that the picture didn't work on?"

Once Elsa had indicated another person with the magical taint on their eyes, Ludo bustled over to them and did his best to describe Udolf, hoping that perhaps the spell was different per person.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Titan in the Playground

It took a good while before Elsa spotted a suitable candidate - a gong farmer leading his (mercifully empty) cart down towards the North Market square. Doing his best to describe Udolf in as much detail as he could, Ludo saw no glimmer of recognition in the man's eyes. He hadn't seen anyone like that, he said, no-one at all.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

4. - Top - End - #934
    Titan in the Playground

"What about, uh, a tall pale man, dressed all in black, like he was trying to look like Death?" Ludo asked. "Or a jackal?"

5. - Top - End - #935
    Titan in the Playground

The gong farmer looked at Ludo with an expression of bafflement. "No," he said, shaking his head. "No-one like that."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

6. - Top - End - #936
    Titan in the Playground

"Damn." Ludo thought to himself, and returned to the group. "So, Hieronymous, something else, or not taking the risk?"

7. - Top - End - #937
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"I'm with Elsa on this. Warn him of what we've learned and move him to the castle for protection. If we want to try to set a trap, we'll find a decoy."

Spoiler
    Show
    I wonder if Adelbert would work. Klammenberg can sense if someone can use magic or not, so a decoy that actually has the lore of Verena should be pretty convincing if we can cover the obvious physical differences.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Titan in the Playground

"That's sensible." Ludo said. "I'll visit him and walk him to the castle, and then we give lanky Norville, the halberdier, a set of Verenan robes and walk back with him. He can borrow my hat, that should cover his face. You can then get men into position for dusk the same way as we were planning to with Otto."

9. - Top - End - #939
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard nodded. "We'll have men waiting inside Hieronymous's house. It's early enough to send them a few at a time to wait there without it drawing attention wherever Klammenberg is lurking, it's bound to be nearby. I'll see you at the castle, I'm going to start readying the men. See if you can get the spare a few extra sets of robes."

Leaving Ludo to deal with the priest, Sieghard returned to the castle and found Roth. "We may have found something on the one that killed Astoria," he said. "We think we know who is going to be targeted next." He paused, knowing how insane what he was about to say was going to sound. "The killer might not be something entirely human... We know it's working with a man called Klammenberg. Klammenberg is a known sorcerer, likely a necromancer. And the killer? We have reason to think it's a vampire."

"Ludo is fetching the priest they're planning on going after. I plan on setting a trap for the murderer. How do you feel about avenging the dead?"
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-06-25 at 10:01 PM.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo had had some time to think as he was headed to Hieronymous' place, and had ducked into an aley to remove his hat and slip it into his backpack - if they were being watched, Hieronymous leaving a place with the har ludo was wearing when they entered would be strange, to say the least.

When the old priest opened the door, Ludo's face was grim
    "Hieronymous. Can I come inside please?" And then, when inside, "We've found out that this man who was murdering priests has been seen in this area, asking about the Verenans. We think you're the next target and we'd like to move you to the castle for your protection."

11. - Top - End - #941
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert had followed Hieronymus back to his house to further discuss matters after the meeting with the nature priests. Surprised to see Ludo, he listened thoughtfully to what the Halfling had to say.

'Will this be done quietly or openly Ludo? If we could smuggle the good Father out secretly than the necromancer and his allies might still attack here, inly to find an ambush ready and waiting.' A note of excitement had crept into the younger priest's voice. Finally a chance to hobble the enemy!

12. - Top - End - #942
    Titan in the Playground

"As of the moment, the plan is for Heronymous to come with us to the castle, and then a member of the militia in similar robes will come back here. Hopefully anyone watching will believe that you're still here and we can lay an ambush."

13. - Top - End - #943
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"A vampire?" said Roth. "Like in the old wars? Blood-sucking nobles with sharp teeth and pale skin?" Gears turning in his head, his gaze flicked up to the high parapet of the keep. "Not... not the lady Sforza..."

Getting over his surprise, he shook his head. "You don't need to ask, sir. We fought the Norscans and their skinchanger with you, we're not afraid of some spook. If this thing is what killed the lady d'Evangelisti, I want to help put it in the ground. Whatever it is." He straightened his back and squared his shoulders. "I'm sure the rest of the lads feel the same."

Ludo & Adelbert (lad-elbert)

Hieronymus reacted to the news with mild surprise. He took the idea that he was being hunted in his stride - it was the idea of having to change accommodation that seemed to upset him more.

"I do have a spare robe in the wardrobe... but is all this really necessary?" he asked, a little peevishly. "I understand the concern of course, but the killer strikes when their victims are..." - he waved his hands vaguely "...out and about, do they not? No-one has been killed in the safety of their own home." He looked wistfully around at his dusty, cluttered bookshelves. "All my books are here. Euthymius, he won't like being moved. You say your man was asking after our order, that could just as well be Brother Schreiber..."

He trailed off, perhaps hearing how weak his reasons sounded. "I suppose, if you think it best," he said at last, "it's the thing to be done. The others at the Temple will have to be told."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #944
    Titan in the Playground

"We don't want to take any chances with either of you." Ludo said firmly. "The verenans in the city are our best asset against what we're fighting, and we can't run the risk of you being hurt. The castle is the safest place, and we'll do our best to make it comfortable for you for a few days."

"If your owl would rather stay here, we can arrange for it to be fed. That would be better, actually: it might look strange if yoy enter the castle with him and leave without. And i'm sure we can have someone carry a message to the temple for you."

15. - Top - End - #945

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'I can stay here and keep up the shop,' Adelbert offered. He glanced at the older priest. 'And... it might be good to have a priest here for that creature to sniff out.'

It was becoming clear Adelbert was spoiling for a fight with the forces of darkness.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Titan in the Playground

"Adelbert has experience going sword-to-sword with this kind of thing." Ludo said carefully. "He's more capable of defending himself."

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Good. We'll try to lure Klammenberg and his monster out with a look-alike. I want eight men waiting inside the priest's house, ready to attack if he takes the bait. You've seen what a wizard can do, make sure the necromancer is taken out of the fight quickly." He paused for a moment. "There's another with them... A man called Udolf. I'll admit, I don't know much about him, but I doubt he's as dangerous as the other two."

18. - Top - End - #948
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo & Adelbert

Hieronymus looked a little doubtful at the mention of Adelbert and swords. "Well... if you're sure, Schreiber... I'd certainly rather have you looking after the place than some lumbering soldier. I can write down some instructions for taking care of Euthymius. But it does sound to me like you would be in equal danger as myself, if I were to stay."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hieronymus has expressed his reservations but he's willing to go with you when you're ready.

Sieghard

"We're doing this tonight?" said Roth. "I can round up the lads now. Just give the word, we'll be ready."
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-06-27 at 02:23 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #949
    Titan in the Playground

"Alright." Ludo said, standing and making ready to leave. "Adelbert, come with us to the castle. And if we can borrow those robes... and father, could I ask you to wear this hat?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay plan: Adelbert, Hieronymous, and Ludo leave the house and head to the castle. At the castle, Adelbert swaps into Thorn clothes, we dress a Thorn up as Hieronymous, and after a little while - an hour? Long enough for Sieghard to set things up in Summer Street. - Adelbert-as-Thorn, Ludo, and Thorn-as-Hieronymous head back to Hieronymous' house. Both Hieronymous and Fake Hieronymous will wear Ludo's hat, worn down to cover the face as best as possible. The idea being that we took Hieronymous in for a meeting, and agreed instead to have a token guard at his house.

If nothing happens by a few hours after sunset, we fake an argument. Fake Hieronymous will storm out of the house and head towards where Sieghard's reinforcements are located, with Ludo and Adelbert-as-Thorn following.

Ready to go with this when everyone else is.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim, with Sieghard

"'Less you want me somewhere else, Commander, I'll try to find somewhere with view of the priest's house to hunker down."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Contingent on Sieghard and indeed anyone else not shooting him down, Urgrim will try to find a suitable alcove or hidey-hole to observe Heironymous's house from a slightly further distance. He'd be willing to e.g. climb onto a roof if there's nothing suitable at ground level. He'll go fully armoured, so will take an agility penalty from his mail.

I'll roll Concealment, with Fortune - do roll any other tests you deem necessary/appropriate LCP. Concealment36 - (1d100)[10] Fortune - (1d100)[60]

21. - Top - End - #951

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert nodded in agreement, but one thing did give him pause. 'Father, I suppose there is no way we can move Euthymius to the castle while we are at it? I'd hate for him to be in danger.' He remembered the owl's long vanished brother and mentally added: 'or escape.'

'I don't suppose you have anyway of getting him to sleep so we could transport him?'

22. - Top - End - #952
    Titan in the Playground

"If he goes into the castle but doesn't come out, that'll be suspicious." Ludo refrained from continuing "lock him in an upstairs room, he'll be fine."

23. - Top - End - #953

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'I suppose so,' Adelbert conceded.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Couldn't hurt," Sieghard told Urgrim. "I'll assign a pair of crossbowmen to keep watch with you. Safer that way." He turned back to Roth. "We are. Can't be sure they'll actually strike tonight, but we need to be ready. Putting it off just puts the priests in more danger."

25. - Top - End - #955
    Titan in the Playground

Hieronymus looked a little uncomfortable at the talk of Euthymius being in danger. Taking Ludo’s hat, he turned it over to inspect it before placing it solemnly on his head.

It wasn’t too far from the Old Town to the keep, where Ludo brought the two priests to speak with Sieghard before their plan swung into action. A messenger was dispatched to the Temple as Hieronymus had requested, while Adelbert changed into an itchy militia uniform and Sieghard and poor Norville outfitted themselves in Verenan robes. Though he matched Hieronymus’ height and build better than most, the lanky halberdier lacked the priest’s calm temperament – despite Sieghard and Ludo’s assurances that they would be right there with him, Norville seemed extremely on edge at the idea of being bait for some creature of the night.

Two by two, Roth and his men made their way down to Hieronymus’ house. When the last of them had left, Sieghard and the others followed, Norville with Ludo’s hat pulled down as far as it would go to hide his face. Urgrim and his two Thorns were close behind, splitting off down the side-streets of the Old Town to find a vantage point where they could watch without being seen.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You wait until after the sun has gone down, but no-one approaches the house.

~

Elsa, meanwhile, had been busy with her own preparations. Emerging from her castle rooms with her hair dyed brown and her tattoos somewhat inexpertly covered, she wrapped herself in the grey peasant’s cloak she had bought in the market and headed out into the city alone.

The sun was going down, and as the light dimmed Ulgu rose like smoke from the darkness. This was the hour of shadow, and the people passing through it left eddies and ripples behind them. Watching from beneath her hood, Elsa saw no-one to whom the Grey Wind seemed to cling with particular affection. She walked from Half Moon Alley to Red Square and back, breathing in the warm night air, until the flight of the bats from the minaret on Tower Street told her she had lingered long enough. With one last reluctant look around, she turned and headed north towards Summer Street and Sieghard’s trap.

Approaching through a side-street, she almost tripped over Urgrim, so completely had the ranger blended into his surroundings. His two Thorns rose from their hiding-places to greet her – and she saw then that all three had wisps of shadow around their eyes...
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-06-29 at 08:56 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

26. - Top - End - #956
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo resisted the temptation to twitch Hieronymous' curtains too much, instead turning to Sieghard's ambush party, waiting in the front room.

"Alright. If there's nobody in here, we're going to have to go out there. We need a reason for Hieronymous to leave, so... Initiate Sieghard, you go first, towards Urgrim, like you're scared and running away. Norville, wait a few seconds then go after him. Then myself and Adelbert, a few seconds later, and everyone else stay here ready to come if we call. Like the initiate is leaving, and Hieronymous goes after him. Right?"

27. - Top - End - #957
    Titan in the Playground

"Urgrim!" hissed Elsa urgently. "Klammenberg's been past you already! You have the—" She made a gesture towards her eyes. "—the enchantment! All three of you! We need to move now."

I knew it. I knew laying a trap was reckless. Too many things can go wrong.

Morrslieb, survey the area from up high. If you see something that looks like it should be carrion, except that it moves, I want to know about it.

If Klammenberg was here, surely his beast was not far behind.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-06-30 at 10:07 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Titan in the Playground

Flapping up above the rooftops, Morrslieb circled through the darkness, keen eyes searching the streets below. Nothing dead, his croaking voice echoed in Elsa's head. Only humans.
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-06-30 at 10:30 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #959
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim had barely acknowledged Elsa's arrival, save for a grunt from his throat that might have been a greeting. Even as the Thorns rose to greet the wizard, he stayed in place, methodically scanning the street, waiting for prey to give itself away.

He hushed her interjection. "Be quiet! Don't give us away!" But then he heard her words.

"What? No, he- oh, Grimnirs az." The ranger took a deep breath, and closed his eyes. "Remind me," he said, resisting the urge to grit his teeth. His hand slipped down to the handle of a throwing axe. "Tell me who I should be looking for."

30. - Top - End - #960
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard nodded and turned to Ludo. "You're good with voices. Think you could make yourself sound like Hieronymus shouting after me as I go?" He took a moment to ready himself, made sure the hood on the robe was covering his him as best he could, then darted outside.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard is wearing his mail, but left the plate armor behind. Mail should be able to be hidden beneath robes fairly easily, but plate not so much. He will be keeping the gauntlets though.

I remembered that there's two extra sets of mail in the company property that we took from the battle with Rorik. Can we have Norville (under the robes, same as Sieghard) and Adelbert (if he wants it - it will impact his ability to use magic. If he doesn't want it, Roth instead) wearing it or is it too late for that?