New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

"Whatever he was trying to do, we stopped it." Ludo added. "I mean, I think. We protected Hieronymous and we've figured out his trick. He'll find it much harder to hunt people now."

He didn't sound entirely convinced. He was very aware that since finding out who Klammenberg was, they had now failed to strike a meaningful blow three times, at Caerfort, Rivermouth, and now here in Savonne.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"And now that he knows we're on to him, he's sire to go looking for a new place to hide," Sieghard grumbled.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Titan in the Playground

"Yeah, but it'll be worse than the last one or he'd be there already."

4. - Top - End - #994
    Ogre in the Playground

"Didn't matter much where he's hiding out tonight, though, did it?" said Urgrim. A half-formed thought was buzzing on the edges of his consciousness, and he gently teased at it. "He saw through our ruse in the streets, and that's where we nearly had him ..."

He rapped his knuckles on the table as the notion came together. "We drew him to us. Even though he saw through the trap, he was still there. I bet he couldn't help watching us blunder around looking for him, he thinks he's too clever by half. And that's why we nearly had him." He took a mouthful of ale and put his drink down with a thud. "So maybe next time, we don't need to worry about being smarter than him. We just need to be smart enough to be a little bit stupider than him, and he'll come to us."
    Last edited by Thragka; 2019-07-06 at 04:22 PM.

5. - Top - End - #995
    Titan in the Playground

"If you say so." Ludo said. "I think being only a little bit less smart than him still gives us some catching-up to do, though."

6. - Top - End - #996
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"The problem's his magic, not how smart he is," Sieghard said. "What we need is a way to get around that."

7. - Top - End - #997
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa nodded in agreement with Sieghard. "He may be clever but he's not smarter than the lot of us put together. As for his spells, I hear there are ways to counter them. They just rarely teach them at the Bright College, because our favorite way of ending a wizard's spell is to end the wizard's life."

She would have to plunge into her books once again. Between the books from Beatrix Fassbender's tower and the books taken from the Lost Library, surely there was some anti-magic magic to be found.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Titan in the Playground

"Maybe Hieronymous' library has something?" Ludo suggested.

"We can do more research tomorrow, and keep searching the streets with the poster. I still think it's worth sending other people out: even if they don't know who's specifically affected and who isn't, they can just ask everyone."

9. - Top - End - #999
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'More research would be good,' Adelbert agreed, speaking up for the first time. 'There is also the exorcisms the priests are going to attempt - even if we can't catch Klammenburg it might at least begin to combat the malaise hanging over the city.'

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa looked skeptical when Adelbert mentioned an exorcism. "This is likely ritual magic we're dealing with. Hard to counter. They must've spent weeks, if not months planning this."

She had not ordered anything to eat or drink. She was too preoccupied to be hungry, and intended to stay sober until the immediate threat was a thing of the past.

"Hey, uh." She glanced at the darkness outside. "Might be best if we don't go our separate ways when we're out of here; we'll be easy pickings if Klammenberg decides we got too close to him for comfort and wants to be rid of us. We could all go sleep inside the castle tonight."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Agreed," Sieghard said. "No sense in taking chances."

"The priests said that silver weapons are supposed to be useful against vampires. Either made of it or coated in it." He paused. "Would get pretty costly to outfit a large number of men with that kind of thing, but crossbow bolts tipped in silver should be a fair bit cheaper than swords."

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Ogre in the Playground

"The problem's his magic, not how smart he is," Sieghard said. "What we need is a way to get around that."

Elsa nodded in agreement with Sieghard. "He may be clever but he's not smarter than the lot of us put together. As for his spells, I hear there are ways to counter them. They just rarely teach them at the Bright College, because our favorite way of ending a wizard's spell is to end the wizard's life."

She would have to plunge into her books once again. Between the books from Beatrix Fassbender's tower and the books taken from the Lost Library, surely there was some anti-magic magic to be found.

"Maybe Hieronymous' library has something?" Ludo suggested.

"We can do more research tomorrow, and keep searching the streets with the poster. I still think it's worth sending other people out: even if they don't know who's specifically affected and who isn't, they can just ask everyone."
    Urgrim shrugged. Fighting magic with more magic seems like fighting fire with fire. But you're right," he said with a sigh. "We've nothing else to go on for the moment, except jogging folks' memories."

"The priests said that silver weapons are supposed to be useful against vampires. Either made of it or coated in it." He paused. "Would get pretty costly to outfit a large number of men with that kind of thing, but crossbow bolts tipped in silver should be a fair bit cheaper than swords."
    Urgrim nodded. "You're thinking of getting that done up the hill? I can join you on that, if you like."

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"I wasn't," Sieghard admitted, "But the Dwimmulsons may be more willing to help than a human smith would. They already realize how dire the threat we face is."

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Titan in the Playground

Finishing the last of their drinks, the party at last rose and headed back into the night. Elsa, Sieghard and Urgrim headed for the castle, taking the still somewhat baffled Norville with them. Adelbert and Ludo headed back towards Summer Street, where Roth and the others were presumably still standing guard.

Back at Hieronymus' house, Euthymius was wide awake and screeching hungrily in the upstairs room where they had secured him. Climbing the creaky steps to see to the owl, Adelbert paused to look out of Hieronymus' window at the sleeping city. His enemy, he was sure, was not sleeping.

Angestag, 32nd Vorgeheim

Elsa scarcely felt she'd snatched a few hours of sleep before the sunrise began pushing its unwelcome fingers through her window. Rising with hunger gnawing in her stomach, she found Hieronymus already awake and anxiously pacing around down in the castle kitchen. The old priest wanted to know what had transpired last night, whether he could go back to his house, where Brother Schreiber was - all in all, far too many questions for this time in the morning. If he kept beetling around in this way he was sure to get under Irene's dainty feet sooner or later.

Over on Summer Street, Ludo and Adelbert awoke blessedly un-murdered. Roth and his men had kept a rotating watch through the night: they had not spotted anyone else approaching the house.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Ogre in the Playground

On Angestag morning, Urgrim was glum. In the thrill of the hunt the night before, he'd been able to slip into his ranging mindset: focused, undistracted, and resilient to setback, puzzling out the weakness of the prey and the gambit that would spell victory. But after another night of little sleep, that cool, adrenal poise had long dissipated, and decayed into irritability. It was getting harder to think creatively about this prey, after weeks of restless nights filled with exertion. Seeing - or indeed, not seeing - the true potential of Klammenberg's deceptive magicks only added another stone to the growing weight of hopelessness the dwarf felt.

Breaking his fast with Sieghard, Urgi chewed a small bread roll at length, seeming not to realise how completely stale it was.

"Sieghard," he said after a particularly tough mouthful. "Got a thought I want to bounce off you. Regarding the Dwimmulsons. How would you feel about letting them know what we know? Obviously, the Rinn knows parts of it - knows the name Klammenberg, the book, and that. But I - I feel that she deserves to know everything we know. Because this is a dwarf city too, and her people -" (my people?) "- are at risk too. Not as much as the humans of Savonne, I know, but still."

The dwarf lowered his voice, glancing around to check for eavesdroppers. "I know your loyalty is to your Captain, and I hope this doesn't offend that. But you can't say that his Queen is informed enough about the vampire to take it seriously."

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"She isn't informed because she doesn't take it seriously," Sieghard grumbled, before catching himself. "You didn't hear me say that."

"I don't think it's a good idea for it to become widely known. One or two dwarfs you can trust to hold their tongues might be ok, but word spreading to every dwarf in the Dwimmulhold wouldn't be any better than it spreading to every man in the city. Even if they wouldn't panic like the humans of the city, it would cause tension between Lady Sforza and the Rinn if she were to find out."

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim & Sieghard

"You didn't hear me say that."
    Urgrim's hand sliced through the air at chest height - a universal this isn't happening gesture.

"I don't think it's a good idea for it to become widely known. One or two dwarfs you can trust to hold their tongues might be ok, but word spreading to every dwarf in the Dwimmulhold wouldn't be any better than it spreading to every man in the city. Even if they wouldn't panic like the humans of the city, it would cause tension between Lady Sforza and the Rinn if she were to find out."
    "Oh, no no no, of course," Urgrim said. "I didn't mean announce it to the entire hold - only let the Rinn know, so she can use the knowledge responsibly. It's not our way to be irresponsible with such crucial knowledge. If we go up the hill, I think I could ask for a quick audience with her, and I believe she'd be grateful to hear your report."

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa patiently explained to Hieronymous how they had almost caught Klammenberg last night, but lost him. She made sure to imply (without outright saying it; she was not good at lying) that it was the doctor's magic, and not her own stupidity, that had allowed him to slip away.

"But it won't happen again," she added. "I've got books here that may contain the key to a counterspell. Speaking of which, I'll go read them now, in my room."

She filled a bowl with a meaty stew that the castle's Bretonnian cook called cassoulet, and turned to leave. "I suppose you're in no danger during the day, but I would suggest that you spend your nights here until the threat is dealt with. As for Adelbert, I would assume he's still at your home."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll spend 100 XP on Lesser Magic (Dispel).

Around mid-morning, having made some progress with her research, Elsa visited the guard dogs again with some bones and discarded pieces of raw meat from the castle kitchens. After handing out the meat, she allowed each dog out of its cage for the first time, one at a time, starting with the most docile one. She cleaned the droppings from each empty cage, then lured the dog back in by throwing some bones inside, before moving on to the next dog.

Eventually she would have to figure out a long-term arrangement for them that did not require her to be their caretaker, but for now she had other matters to deal with.

She headed out into the city in search of her friends. Perhaps a good night's sleep had given someone an idea on how to proceed.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-07-11 at 08:43 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard looked at Urgrim as though his beard had sprouted tentacles. "Talk to the dwarf queen? Me!? Oh no, definitely not!" he said, shaking his head. "It's trouble enough speaking with Lady Irene and not making her mad for some reason." And she's a human. No doubt it'd be even worse with a short tempered dwarf noble. "You know as much as I do at this point. Anything she needs to know, I'm sure you can tell her."

Spoiler
    Show
    If you want Sieghard to go along with this, you're gonna have to roll a charm test to get him past his natural inclination to stay the heck away.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Ogre in the Playground

Surprised by the strength of Sieghard's reaction, Urgrim waved his hands defusively. "Oh! Of course. Sieghard, I didn't mean to ask you to do anything you're uncomfortable with. I just wanted you to know my intentions, and make sure there was no problem if I share our progress. But only with those in the hold who know about Klammenberg, and are equally keen to bring him to justice. Just the Rinn, really - she asked the favour of me, to send word of any news. I'll happily go speak to her alone, but since you've organised much of the hunt, I wanted to make sure you had the chance to speak for yourself to her, so I don't misrepresent you. Beca- I -"

Urgrim fell silent for a moment. "Well, in truth, even in the past weeks we've worked together, I've come to think of you as something of a friend." He shrugged. "And I've appreciated being welcomed to your - team, sleeping and eating in your barracks, and so on. I would be loathe to pay that hospitality back unkindly."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sure, why not. Charm vs 32: (1d100)[78]

21. - Top - End - #1011

BlackDragon

Adelbert

After an evening in which the greatest excitement had been feeding a tame(is) owl a mouse Adelbert was having mixed feelings. Obviously not being attacked by necromancers and vampires was good but it was getting hard to shake the feeling that the only way they'd find Klammenberg was if he decided to find them.

With that grim thought the priest left for the temple. Even with everything else he still had his duties to perform.

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Don't worry about it," Sieghard replied. "I'm sure you can handle any business with her without me."

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa and Adelbert

Elsa came across Adelbert as he was on his way to the temple. "Oh, hey. Was looking for you. Or any of you, really." She walked alongside him. "I'm practically certain that our evil trio lives in the old quarantine area. We suspected it, of course, but now I'd bet a fat purse of gold on it."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-07-13 at 01:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

24. - Top - End - #1014

BlackDragon

Elsa and Adelbert

Despite his pessimism Adelbert looked interested. 'Have you found any new clues?'

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Titan in the Playground

"Well... nothing aside from seeing Klammenberg head there last night," admitted Elsa, "after he casually strolled by Hieronymous's house and saw we were laying a trap. I was just wondering if you had any idea for narrowing down our search further... without alerting him until we're ready to strike. Because there's going to be a fight, I'm sure of it."

She seemed somewhat morose this morning. Last night's failure was weighing heavily on her. "I'll go buy a leash and give a walk to one of the dogs. I don't know if it'll sense anything out of the ordinary, though. Seems almost too easy. But at least the dog will be getting some exercise. Poor beasts have been cooped up inside for too long."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-07-13 at 10:35 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim

"Don't worry about it," Sieghard replied. "I'm sure you can handle any business with her without me."
    For a moment, Urgrim looked as if he were going to argue - but then he simply nodded. "Alright. I'll see if I can put in an order for the bolts, too, while I'm up there."

Realising for the first time how hard the remaining nub of bread in his hand was, Urgrim tossed it away, and returned to his bunk. Dressing in his good clothes, and slipping the opal talisman of Valaya into his pocket, he packed his waterskin and headed out for the Rock.

~

Urgrim enjoyed the trek up the hill, setting a comfortable pace in time to the songs he hummed. He greeted the Hold's guards as he entered the uppermost level, and spent a few minutes idling in what limited public space the small Skarrenawi settlement had, looking for any preparations for Saga that might be visible. He was sorely tempted by the possibility of getting an actually palatable beer, but duty called. He descended as deep into the hold as he could get before being asked his business by guards.

"Ranger Jotunnsonn. I have a report for the Rinn on enemies of the Hold, if she would grant me an audience."

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Titan in the Playground

Urgrim

Inside the Dwimmulhold, preparations for Saga were already well underway. Long tables had been laid out in the Dwimmulsons' poky little feast hall, and casks of beer brought up from their stores to stand in tall stacks around the walls. An officious-looking dwarf with a slate was going around checking that everything was in order, tutting into his plaited beard when he found anything out of place.

Elmendrin was in her rooms behind the hall, reading through a pile of correspondence. Looking up as Urgrim entered, she pushed the letters aside.

"Jotunsson," she said. "News from the low town?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim

Urgrim bowed to the Rinn. "Some, Rinn, that I believe is worth delivering. But little conclusive, and little good.

"I can confirm the sorcerer Klammenberg is in Zhufund. Just last night, myself and the group I have met through Stubbs laid a trap for him. He foiled it. I will relay the events leading up to it and what we have learned during this time. The most important facts are these: Klammenberg indeed commands powerful witchcraft, and by conferring with the umgi priests, we are reasonably sure he has brought a zangunaz to the city and is helping it feed. I personally believe the zangunaz is Varag Kol himself, raised from the Red Pyramid, but on this we cannot be sure.

"I am collaborating with the grombolg Stubbs, Commander Sieghard of the city watch, the Imperial witch Holt, and a priest of the umgi temple named Schreiber. I understand that Sieghard and Holt are þegns of the lord Sforza, but it seems that their queen is ... not fully aware the severity of the threat.

"Klammenberg came to the city at the same time as the recent thirsting plague. He masqueraded as a physician, and manipulated sick umgi into becoming prey for the zangunaz: he would instruct them to feed on red meat and sleep with their windows open, then mark their homes in the ancient picture-script found on the Pyramid. The umgi who died this way were found empty of blood. Of the few survivors we have interviewed, there are scattered reports of seeing fell hounds in the streets at night, or pale figures they see as personifications of death.

"When I joined Stubbs' throng, a similar murder had just taken place of their last member: a knight of no mean skill, clearly easily overpowered and again drained of blood. It was after this we conferred with the temple, in particular a priest of Schreiber's order, who conjectured the involvement of a zangunaz. Since then, in the past two weeks, two more elders of the umgi temple have been found dead and exsanguinated under similar conditions.

"Holt meanwhile has discovered the extent of Klammenberg's power: he makes people forget they have seen him. He did it to me last night," he said grimly. "Klammenberg walked right past me as I lay in wait for him, even waving to me - and then I forgot, until Holt detected the witchcraft on me some minutes later. She has learned how to sense when someone has recently been affected by this witchcraft. Once made aware of it, the victim's memory can be jogged and the curse can be broken, but without this it seems Klammenberg's anonymity is nigh invulnerable. It is ... a significant tactical advantage that he has over us. According to Holt, it seems that a significant portion of the umgi population near the area worst ravaged by the plague have also been affected by this sorcery.

"Last night, Schreiber moved his elder colleague to the safety of the castle and, with the coordination of the watch, we tried to present the priest's home as a tempting target and trap Klammenberg there. The sorceror was present - as I said, he managed to curse me - but evidently he saw through our plan. I am concerned about exactly how he did this, but at present that is unknowable. Nonetheless, upon detecting my affliction, Holt managed to help us track him some short distance towards the plague-afflicted quarter before we lost him.

Urgrim sighed. "It is frustrating that I have nothing more to tell you, Rinn, but I hope even as little as that will aid the defence of the hold."
    Last edited by Thragka; 2019-07-14 at 05:01 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Titan in the Playground

Urgrim

"You've told me plenty," said Elmendrin, looking grave. "So the humans were right, then? This warlock of theirs is inside the city."

"I have been reading the old records with Skorgrund. If this is the same creature our ancestors wrote of then it will be a threat to all of us, given time. You say the human queen does not take it seriously?" She fixed Urgrim with a steady gaze. "I can speak with her. Or give you some of our own clansmen if you think you know where to find this Klammenberg. This is our city as much as hers."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    IIRC Elmendrin already knew about Astoria - wasn't Astoria getting attacked the impetus for Urgrim joining the investigation?
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-07-14 at 06:21 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Yes, mentioning Astoria's death was both to recap, and to highlight the connection to the later priests' murders.

Urgrim considered his words before speaking again. Grimnirs az, this is why I wanted Sieghard here. "Well ... the human queen almost seems to be ... wilfully ignorant," he said, a little sheepishly. "Her concerns, ah ... There is some tension, I think, between her and Commander Sieghard. The commander is focused on the threat but ... I think she either does not believe, or does not want to believe, the threat that Klammenberg could pose." Urgrim swallowed. "I'm not sure he has actually told her of the zangunaz ... for fear that she will ridicule him and remove him from his post, and then he can do nothing to fight it." Urgrim lapsed into silence for a dozen heartbeats, despairing at the madness of pride.

He collected himself and spoke up again. "I wanted to relay this to you so you can best protect your city and your people," he said with a nod. "I agree that this threatens the Dwimmulhold as much as Zhufund - and far beyond. I have no understanding of how you should best treat with the umgi queen. As for the clansmen - while the umgi city watch seem capable, it is Klammenberg's sorcery that keeps him out of our hands. Holt is researching for ways to counter this. So she tells us." His gaze briefly danced about the room as he considered. "But, if - or, as I believe, when - we must come face to face with the zangunaz, I would be grateful for dawi by our side."