New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

Adelbert

Adelbert flushed with embarrassment at Sieghard's request. Rather than admit the blessing was beyond his training he made the sign of the scales in the air with his forefinger before touching the weapon and incanting a quiet prayer to Verena.

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard looked back at Ludo and nodded. He gave the halfling a moment to load his crossbow and then threw the door open.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-07-30 at 02:54 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Titan in the Playground

Not Urgrim

The door flew open without resistance, and Sieghard stormed through into what turned out to be a slightly shabby drawing room. Two men were standing against the far wall, close up against a connecting door to the next room. One of them jumped practically out of his skin, while the other just turned to give Sieghard a level stare. The air in the house was just as hot as the night outside, but Udolf was still wrapped in his coachman's gear as if ready to weather a winter storm. Holding Sieghard's gaze, his gloved hand moved slowly to the pommel of the sword at his belt.

"Gods, you gave me a fright," said Klammenberg, recovering a little of his composure. He stepped behind an upholstered chair that was leaking straw from one of its seams, putting both it and Udolf between himself and the doorway. "What did you have to go and do that for? Look at that," he said, pointing to where the door handle had taken a chip out of the wooden wall. "You've damaged a perfectly good wall."

The man didn't look like Sieghard remembered him. When they'd dealt with him over the dragon's tooth, he'd looked sleek, comfortable, well-fed. Now he looked gaunt and tired, with new streaks of grey in his hair. His fine clothes were looking faded and worn, and he'd shaved off his little black beard, though already dark stubble was growing back in. Around his neck hung a bundle of talismans and charms that looked more suited to a village wise woman than a sophisticated Imperial scholar.

"Is there a reason for this intrusion?" he asked, putting on his most innocent face. "We weren't expecting visitors."
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

4. - Top - End - #1084

BlackDragon

Not Urgrim

Adelbert appeared, looking from behind Sieghard. He gave the scholar an appraising look.

'Alas Herr Klammenberg, I am fairly certain whatever your other crimes there is a witness present who can accuse you of attempted murder and theft.' A sardonic smile crossed his lips. 'I must ask the clergy of Morr about dissecting your brain after your imminent death. I'm sure it would be a fascinating study.'

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa's hand tightened around her glowing staff. Klammenberg's strange behavior was most likely some kind of stalling tactic to confuse them into hesitation. Angling her body so that she could keep an eye on both the inside of the room and the hallway (Where is the vampire?), she murmured the words to raise a mystical shield all around her.

Klammenberg might feel the disturbance in the Aethyr and panic into attacking them; it did not bother her. They were as ready as they were going to be, which did not seem to be his case.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aethyric Armour, using Magic Focus for double Armour Points.

Channeling 88: (d100)[28]
    Casting 5+, playing it safe: (d10)[7]
    Chaos die for Magic Focus: (d10)[2]

Success. Elsa now has the maximum of 5 Armour Points, for a total soak of 9, for the next 6 rounds. I suggest we move quickly to avoid squandering this advantage.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-07-30 at 07:27 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Titan in the Playground

Not Urgrim

"Schreiber," said Klammenberg. "I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to find you here. Though I must admit, seeing you alive and well at the old priest's house did come as something of a shock." He edged a little more behind Udolf. "You know that business in the Karst wasn't personal. More the Norscan's idea, really. But then I assume you must be the one who scuppered our plans at Manann's Keep, so we're even, really, aren't we?"

His eyes flicked to Elsa as she began chanting her spell, but he did nothing. Having got over the surprise of Sieghard's sudden appearance, he seemed surprisingly calm. "You know I bear you no ill-will, Schreiber," he said. "Never have. I hope you'll take it as friendly advice when I say, you're making a mistake."

As Klammenberg spoke, Adelbert thought he heard movement somewhere above them. They all heard what followed after - the creak of a footstep on the stairs.

Adelbert Only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert felt the hairs on the nape of his neck stand on end, his owl amulet suddenly seeming to hang very heavily against his breast. The shadow he had felt over the city this last month was here, in this house, pouring down the old staircase like coiling billows of fog. The strength of the sensation made his skin crawl.

Elsa Only
    Spoiler
    Show
    As she finished her incantation, Elsa felt a flicker of something similar elsewhere in the house. Klammenberg had done nothing, she could see him clearly. Someone else was casting spells.

Looking round at the sound of the creak, she felt a chill in the pit of her stomach as she saw the same oily blackness she had seen at Kheneb-Ptra-Urush begin oozing from the walls. It ran down the stairs from the floor above like a slow-moving waterfall, black vapour breathing from its surface. Thin rivulets of it welled up between the floorboards of the landing, flowing towards the feet of the unsuspecting halberdiers...
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-07-31 at 03:49 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Titan in the Playground

Finally, finally, finally.

Ludo's face was grim with satisfaction, and the crossbow point didn't waver, even as whatever-it-was trod on the floor above. "So what's not a mistake, then. Just let you keep killing people? Both of you drop any weapons you have on the floor. No spells. We're going to gag you both."

He looked back at one of the halberdiers, hovered at the bottom of the stairs. "Call everyone back. Surround this house and move in."
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2019-07-31 at 04:10 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1088

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'You live like a rat in a gutter Klammenberg and you think I made the mistake?' Adelbert uttered a short bark of laughter. Then his eyes widened as he felt it.

'The shadow approaches down the stairs, ready yourselves,' he told the others before reciting a prayer to Verena. <'Oh Lady of Mysteries lend me the fortitude to serve you...'>

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Channeling: (1d100)[2] vs 53
    Blessing of Fortitude (5): (1d10)[7]

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Because of your vampire? Only mistake was not killing you sooner." Easy enough mistake to fix, though. He grabbed his shield and rushed Udolf.

Spoiler
    Show
    If the vampire is coming, that changes things. Before, I figured Klammenberg was the bigger threat and armor + defensive rolls would serve against Udolf and it would be better to try to take Klammenberg out quickly. Not going to let them bring their full strength against us if it can be helped, though.

I'm also a bit wary of this possibly being an illusion. If so, Sieghard is entitled to a WP test to resist it, right? And if that's the case, I also imagine you'd want that to be a secret roll. Disregard this if there is an illusion and Sieghard realizes it's not really Udolf or something of the sort, but otherwise...

Charge attack on Udolf.
    (1d100)[14] vs 66
    (1d10+6)[14]

(1d100)[16] vs 66
    (1d10+6)[16]

(1d100)[16] vs 66
    (1d10+6)[9]

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Titan in the Playground

"It's coming!" Ludo shouted down the stairs. "Get ready!"

He turned back to his crossbow, adjusted the aim minutely, and - finally, after so long searching - shot Klammenberg in the throat.

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Titan in the Playground

Klammenberg flinched at the last moment, sending Ludo’s bolt skimming the side of his neck. He clapped a hand to the wound, and it came away daubed with blood. That didn’t look like an illusion.

Beside him, Udolf was too slow to even draw his sword from its scabbard before Sieghard was on him. Slicing through the silent coachman’s heavy coat, Sieghard’s blade struck mail – but even so, he thought he heard ribs crack under the force of the blow. Udolf didn’t even grunt, taking the hail of blows that Sieghard rained down on him as unflinchingly as a wooden post.

From somewhere beneath them, perhaps the kitchen, they heard a bang like a slamming door. Elsa had no time for wondering what it was – her attention was focused entirely on the figure that was now descending the stairs.

It could have been a man, once. Tall, taller even than the Jarl, it was gangly and scarecrow-thin, its skeletal frame shrouded in ragged black. The cloth wound around its wizened hands couldn’t hide how unnaturally long its fingers were, nor how their long nails curled into claws. The musty smell of natron and grave spices gusted before it, mingling with the coppery tang of fresh blood.

Its face was one Adelbert had seen in visions, standing before the Gates of Morr – but terribly changed. Eyes that had been deep brown pools gleamed red from sunken sockets, a nose that had been proud and aquiline rotted back to nothing more than slitted nostrils. Where the skin of the man in his vision had been lustrous and dark as the Southlanders’, now it was shrivelled and ashen grey, stretched so thin over his proud cheekbones that it seemed little more than a mask for the skull beneath. It was as Burhan had said: it was the face of Death.

Elsa Only
    Spoiler
    Show
    The mundane horror of the thing on the staircase was only a pale echo of what Elsa saw with her second sight. The liquid darkness flowed from him like a mantle, a wellspring of true Dhar shot through with the amethyst light of Shyish. Motes of magic buzzed around him like carrion beetles, suggestive of a protective spell much like Elsa’s own.

At the Bright College, she had attended lectures by powerful Magisters whose presence had felt like the heat of an open hearth. Standing before this creature felt like standing in the breath of an oncoming storm. She had felt power like his only in the presence of the Book of Nagash.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Due to the sheer amount of Dhar boiling off him, when you’re within 24 yards of this guy you must use the Dark Magic talent.

Adelbert Only
    Spoiler
    Show
    The cold weight of the owl pendant against Adelbert’s skin seemed to anchor him to the real world as he gazed up at the figure on the stairs. In the eerie light of Elsa’s staff, his shadow was not human – it was the shadow of a gigantic hound.

Fixing the men before it with an implacable stare, the creature stretched out one long-fingered hand and began chanting, dust-dry words that cut the air like knives. Even Ludo felt a shiver pass down his spine as the shadows began to gather around him...

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Terror checks for all with LOS to the man on the stairs. I’m guessing that’s Adelbert, Elsa and all the halberdiers except the one Ludo sent for help. Sieghard definitely can't see him, Ludo I think is up to LeSwordfish. Sorry I haven't had time to make a map yet.

Halberdier terror:

[roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]

Stairs man starts Channelling: [roll3]

Klammenberg has taken 5 wounds, Udolf has taken 15.
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-07-31 at 04:44 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #1092

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert shook his head in a split second daze, then narrowed his eyes and jabbed a finger at the undead thing. 'It's corporeal! That means we can kill it!'

Taking a deep breath he stepped to Ludo's side and placed a hand on the Halfling's shoulder, intoning a blessing.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm guessing Ludo is far enough away I have to use half action getting to him, so no Channeling.

Blessing of Fortitude (5) on Ludo: (1d10)[4]

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa could feel the dark magic spilling from the creature, and knew beyond the shadow of a doubt that she was dealing with not only a monster—that much was obvious—but a spellcaster. Whether or not it was responsible for the enchantments she had attributed to Klammenberg was a moot point; it was here, right now, and it was far and away the most threatening thing inside the building.

Recovering from her initial horror at the sight of the abomination, she began weaving a spell of her own. She felt herself inadvertently picking up some of the ambient dark magic, the way one might scoop up bits of bone in a cheap stew despite all efforts to avoid them, but there was no time for caution. She had to go all-out, because every instant counted against a monster that had killed Astoria before she could even get her blade wet.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa passed her Terror test.

Fireball. I know Elsa uses that a lot, but it's just so convenient. I'll also use Magic Focus for twice the number of fireballs. Tzeentch's Curse almost guaranteed.

Channeling 88: (d100)[14]
    Casting: (3d10)[10][5][8](23)
    Dark Magic, because according to LCP I can't avoid using it near the monster: (d10)[7]
    Chaos die: (d10)[7]

Damage:

Damage: (d10+4)[11]

Damage: (d10+4)[10]

Damage: (d10+4)[7]

Edit: Minor Tzeentch's Curse. Above-average damage rolls, but I'd gladly trade two of those 11-damage rolls for a single chance at Ulric's Fury.

Planting her feet and squaring her shoulders, eyes blazing orange with Aqshy's wrathful energy, Elsabeth Holt faced the creature descending the stairs and unleashed a white-hot fireball at its desiccated flesh.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-07-31 at 05:38 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa’s blast of fire was so bright that it momentarily eclipsed its target from view, slamming into the creature in a roiling cloud of black and crimson. As the after-images cleared from her eyes, she watched the red embers slowly wink out, leaving only a veil of black smoke… which settled to reveal her enemy, completely unharmed.

Red-hot sprites danced up and down the length of her staff in the aftermath of the power she had channeled, burning her hand and causing her to drop it in surprise. The light of her spell of illumination winked out the second it left contact with her skin, plunging the house back into gloom.

In the drawing room, Klammenberg snarled a pained incantation, still clutching a hand to where Ludo had shot him. A cloud of shadow exploded from the floor at his feet, billowing out in an instant to blot out even the thin moonlight filtering through the grimy windows. In the pitch blackness, Sieghard heard the scrape of Udolf unsheathing his sword, but his enemy’s swing was lost in the dark. On the landing, the militiamen cried out in terror and confusion, blundering blindly into one another as they searched for an escape.

Whatever sorcery the creature on the stairs was working, it clearly didn’t need to see its victims. Adelbert heard its dry, sonorous voice cutting through the darkness, speaking in the dead tongue of Kheneb-Ptra-Urush. The incantation reached its crescendo and a cold wind swept down the hallway, bringing with it the rustling whispers of the dead. Ludo staggered, feeling an icy weight settle in his chest – it felt as if the wind had torn away a part of his spirit with its passing.

As the whispers slowly died away, he heard something else. There was a great deal of shuffling and thumping coming from below. That didn’t sound like more halberdiers...

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    No fireballs break the soak of the creature on the stairs.
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-07-31 at 06:31 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #1095

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert gritted his teeth and gestured to where he hoped Ludo still was in this inky blackness. 'Courage my friend. The gods are with us and feel their strength flow through you - do not ever give up!'

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Channeling: (1d100)[9] vs. 58
    Blessing of Courage (3) on Ludo: (1d10)[6]

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Titan in the Playground

The gods are with us.

If they were, they didn't seem to be doing much so far, but Adelbert's words did make Ludo feel a little better. Still, they were entirely in trouble. Dropping to his hands and knees, he crawled around the edge of the door into the room - between Klammenberg and whatever that thing was, he'd take the wizard.

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

The darkness was concerning. The sounds - both the spellcasting and the banging from below even more so.

"Hold the rear!" he shouted "Whatever's down there, stop it from getting in the way!"

Lashing out blindly, with more force than finesse, he tried to bring Udolf down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Since Sieghard's defensive rolls are similarly penalized, I don't think he'll get very far relying on them. All out swift attack on Udolf. Sieghard is still at maximum advantage from last round, so that cancels out the darkness penalty.

(1d100)[44] vs 76 (51 WS +5 Best Sword +20 All Out +30 Advantage -30 Darkness)
    (1d10+6)[12] Damage

(1d100)[64] vs 76
    (1d10+6)[12] Damage

(1d100)[99] vs 76
    (1d10+6)[15] Damage

And a command roll for the halberdiers to hopefully stop them from sunning away blindly and being torn apart.
    (1d100)[90]

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Titan in the Playground

How how how how how ran through Elsa's head, in a mixture of frustration and horror at her fireball's utter lack of effect on the creature. It must have been under a shielding spell similar to hers in both nature and power; and unlike her, it did not seem to need to brute strength to punch through her protection. She could feel the life energy literally drain out of her under the effect of the monster's magical assault. There was no telling how many more of those attacks she could take before her soul was ripped out of her body.

What could she do? It seemed to her that they were badly outmatched, even were it not for the utter darkness that had descended upon them. She hated to admit it, but a tactical retreat seemed in order... just as soon as they found their bearings.

Morrslieb! she called, linking her mind with her familiar's. Hear the noise inside the house? See the window closest to the noise? I might cast a fireball through you at that window. Just be ready.

I will be, said Morrslieb, communicating to her through images rather than words that he was about to perch on a neighboring rooftop and stare straight at the window in question.

In the meantime, Elsa had to get rid of this utter darkness if they hoped to make good their escape. She grasped the strands of Ulgu with her mind and attempted to tear apart the spell that Klammenberg had woven with them.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming Morrslieb needs a round to locate the appropriate window and get in position.

Meanwhile...

Dispel 13+, full action: (3d10)[7][6][1](14)
    Dark Magic: (d10)[3]

Channeling vs. 58, assuming Klammy has Magic 3: (d100)[66]

Edit: Arrrgh. Still undecided about whether I should re-roll this.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-08-01 at 03:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Titan in the Playground

Swinging wildly in the dark, by luck or intuition Sieghard’s first blow struck home. It was like hacking at a side of beef – Udolf didn’t cry out or flinch, only trying to push through the hail of blows to come to grips with his attacker. Sieghard felt a cold hand reaching for his face, carrying with it the sour scent of pickled meat.

He chopped it aside, finger-bones shearing under his blade, and hammered another blow into the darkness. Finally, he felt something give – there was a heavy thud as Udolf’s body hit the floor. At the same time, he heard Elsa’s voice ringing out from the landing behind him. Orange sparks danced like fireflies through the unnatural dark, burning Klammenberg’s spell away to nothing. By the sickly moonlight lancing through the window, the party could again make out the scene around them.

Udolf lay at his feet, the coachman’s body horribly hewn and mangled. What little blood oozed from those deep wounds was tarry and congealed – whoever he had been in life, Sieghard guessed that Udolf had been dead for a long time.

Behind him was Klammenberg, looking a little surprised at the premature loss of his cover. He took one look at Sieghard and bolted through the connecting door, slamming it shut behind him. Sieghard thought he heard the scrape of a chair being set against it.

Out on the landing, Elsa banishing the darkness seemed to give the militiamen back some of their spirit. None of them would be getting out of here if they couldn’t secure the stairs – picking up the weapons they had thrown down in their wild flight, they pushed forwards past Elsa and Adelbert, interposing themselves between the wizard and the monster on the stairs.

The shuffling sounds from the foot of the stairs had grown louder. Peering over the rail, Adelbert saw shapes moving in the shadows down there. A shaft of moonlight picked out a familiar face as they came closer – Balios’, lolling deathly white atop the open wound of his neck. Witchlights gleamed in his blank, dead eyes, just as they had in the dead of the Mere.

He didn’t have long to look. The creature on the stairs stretched out its hand again, the plaster on the walls around it crumbling and rotting as the energies of death surged around it. Another wave of necromantic energy swept the landing, rattling the walls and sending dust drizzling from the ceiling with the force of its passage. Adelbert felt the breath ripped from his lungs, a deathly cold spreading through his chest. Dust-dry voices whispered in his ear, calling to him from beyond the grave…

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I made maps!

Downstairs:

Upstairs:

For those without Night Vision, you can make out your surroundings, but it's too dark to see much detail. All tests involving vision are at -20 and fast movement near obstacles may be risky.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #1100

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'Gods damn it if I die I'll hunt you on the next plane,' Adelbert hissed through his pain at the creature on the stairs. 'We'll both be dead - and on even terms then.'

Trying to keep body and spirit together he whispered a prayer to Verena, then moved for the doubtful safety of the door to try and get out of sight of the thing.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Channeling: (1d100)[64] vs. 58
    Blessing of Healing (5): (1d10)[4]

Move!
    Last edited by RossN; 2019-08-01 at 06:13 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Titan in the Playground

"Worry about this plane first!"

Ludo leaned through the doorway and pointed his crossbow up at the horror. At this close range, it was almost impossible to miss. He didn't do any of the things Sieghard had taught him about shooting: didn't slow his breath or aim from the shoulders or anything clever like that. He aimed the crossbow at the creature, whispered a prayer to anyone or anything that might be listening -

- and shot it in the chest with a silver bolt.

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard looked up from Udolf's corpse. The sounds from downstairs were drawing closer. "Everyone in here!" he barked, "Bar the door behind you!"

He wasn't sure how they'd escape or even if they could, but if not, he would make sure to make his death a costly one. He turned his attention to where Klammenberg had fled - he wasn't going to let the bastard get away with his life.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-08-02 at 05:09 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Titan in the Playground

"Everyone in here!" Sieghard barked, "Bar the door behind you!"

"Right away! Any chance we can get a flame in here?" Elsa growled, seemingly unaware of the irony of being the one to ask for it. This was no time for cheap cantrips; if anyone less useful than her could light so much as a damn match, it would free her to put her magic to better use.

Squinting against the darkness, she threw a hastily put-together fireball above the nearest halberdier's head and at the monster on the stairs, then moved into the next room, leaving space for Adelbert and the others to follow.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    For simplicity's sake, I'll defer to LCP and assume Elsa has too much on her mind to figure out that Klammenberg is in the other room until Sieghard smashes the door.

Fireball, Magic Focus = double number. (I know double Damage may seem better vs. crazy high soak, but I prefer better odds at Ulric's Fury.)

Casting 12+: (3d10)[7][2][10](19)
    Dark Magic: (d10)[8]
    Chaos die for Magic Focus: (d10)[2]

Minor Manifestation.

Damage: (d10+4)[9]

Damage: (d10+4)[13]

Damage: (d10+4)[6]

Damage: (d10+4)[7]

Then a half move into the other room. Exact location doesn't matter (she has Movement 5), so long as she leaves room for the others to come in. Also, she saw the layout of the room before it went dark, so she knows she'll bump into furniture if she moves too far.

Edit: Bleeeh, should've gone for double Damage. All this bullsh!t was 2 wounds, at best. Could've been up to 7. Ah well, hindsight is 20/20.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-08-02 at 05:35 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo’s bolt slashed across the darkened landing. Inches from its target, it burst into black smoke, just as Elsa’s spell had done. Unlike Elsa’s spell, Ludo thought he saw the creature flinch. He ducked back into the cover of the doorway, trying to control the hammering of his heart – he had seen the thing’s baleful gaze begin turning towards him.

Elsa’s second blast of fire blotted it out before their eyes could meet. This time when the smoke cleared its tattered clothes looked mildly singed – but the others were already stampeding through the doorway, not waiting to see what retaliation it had in store. Ludo flattened himself against the doorframe to let them pass, holding his crossbow close.

Piling into the drawing room with the rest, Adelbert slumped against the rear wall, a killing cold in his bones that all the prayers in the world couldn’t seem to drive out. The only light came from the little window to his right – looking out of its grimy panes, he saw it overlooked a shelving section of the kitchen roof. The black shadow of the Arabyan tower rose up behind it, Morrslieb shining bright behind the spire.

At the other end of the room, Sieghard was kicking apart what was left of the door Klammenberg had shut behind him. Klammenberg backed cautiously away into the shadows, keeping the chair he had blocked it with between himself and Sieghard. He muttered a hurried incantation, but nothing happened. The strange words of the spell ended in a much more comprehensible Reikspiel curse.

“Well, this is just typical,” he said, circling slowly sideways with his hands raised palm-out. “A big man with a sword, lashing out at what he doesn’t understand.” He raised his eyebrows at Sieghard. “I did tell you you’re making a mistake? Unless you speak any High Nehekharan I’m probably the only man who can get you out of here alive.”

As Klammenberg spoke the words, a tall, thin shadow loomed in the doorway to the landing. Ludo leapt back to avoid the withered talon that reached for him, feeling his heart race as the creature swiped through empty air.

Its smouldering eyes swept the room, passing slowly from face to face. In a cracked voice like the slamming of a stone tomb, it spoke. None of them could understand the words, but it sounded like a question.

“He’s asking which of the, ah, barbarians is the leader,” Klammenberg volunteered. “I think that means you.”

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The monster soaks Ludo’s silver bolt and takes 1 wound from Elsa’s fireball(s). Elsa gets a nosebleed from Tzeentch’s Curse.

Maps:

If Sieghard turns to look at the ?vampire? he will need a Terror check same as the others.
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-08-03 at 01:15 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"I understand you're responsible for what your friends did in Rivermouth," Sieghard said, voice dripping with hatred, "And after that, there's not a single thing you could say or do to save your life, you son of a bitch."

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    If Sieghard turns to look at the ?vampire? he will need a Terror check same as the others.
    If you're putting the choice in my hands, then I'm going to say Sieghard is pretty damn focused on Klammenberg until either he's dead or the vampire does something to specifically draw his attention. All out swift attack on Klammenberg.

(1d100)[11] vs 76
    (1d10+6)[14]

(1d100)[52] vs 76
    (1d10+6)[13]

(1d100)[82] vs 76
    (1d10+6)[10]

Probably going to FP an extra half action afterwards, but I want to see the results
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-08-03 at 03:29 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1106

BlackDragon

Adelbert

As interesting as this conversation was Adelbert felt it would best continue in his absence. Turning to the window at his right he opened it and started to climb out. However far away the roof is it was almost certainly less deadly than the vampire...

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay I guess this is a Move to the window to his right and fiddling with the window which probably eats up half a turn on its own.

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Titan in the Playground

"You didn't like that, did you?" Ludo said, bravado in his veins. He was too close for another shot, so instead gripped one of the silver bolts in his hand and stabbed with it like a dagger, trying to keep the creature's attention on him while Adelbert made for the exit. "Don't think you can hit me, though."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quick Draw silver bolt, swift attack with it.

(1d100)[7] vs 28
    (1d10+1)[4] damage at SB-2 for an improvised weapon. I'm just crit fishing here and trying to keep it on me.

If closing a door is a free action, and the door opens into the room, I'm going to do that, too!

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa wiped the blood from her nose. She was pushing herself to the limit and she knew it; sooner or later the Aethyr might lash back in a far deadlier way. But right now she could not afford to be cautious. She grasped as much of the Winds as she could as she prepared her next spell.

She was aware of the approach of the living dead in the stairs. They could not be worse than the monster, but they were a distraction, and distractions at the wrong time could be the death of them. If she could both block their way and shepherd the creature into their room, they might stand a better chance.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Curtain of Flame, using the spell ingredient (shred of tapestry singed by fire). Magic Focus for double Damage, bringing it to Damage 6.

Orientation and location: north-south, in the hallway. I know this isn't slightly RAW, but is it possible to put the Curtain on the edge between squares, where it will only affect a space two squares wide instead of three? If not, Elsa will cast it along the outer (western) wall. This isn't a magic missile, so nothing says this requires LOS.

Casting 12+ (counting spell ingredient): (3d10)[10][3][1](14)
    Dark Magic: (d10)[5]
    Chaos die: (d10)[9]

No Curse, amazingly!

Damage on monster: (d10+6)[16] (oh hell yes)
    Damage on "B": (d10+6)[8]

LCP, is the zombie in the stairs affected, even though he's on a slightly lower level? If so, you can roll damage for me.

As her wall of fire went up, Elsa turned to the halberdier standing in the corner to her left: "You! Block that other door!" She did not care whether he did it with the nearby chair or with his own body, so long as it got done.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-08-04 at 10:08 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Titan in the Playground

“What my friends did?” said Klammenberg, sounding genuinely perplexed. He stepped backwards, raising the chair between them. “What, did they cook your favourite pet?”

Sieghard’s first blow smashed the chair to firewood, leaving Klammenberg with only two splintered chair legs and a startled expression. Whirling forwards, he slammed the hilt of his sword into his enemy’s face, sending him tumbling to the floor with blood streaming from his nose. Sieghard drew his blade back for a killing blow – but before he could bring it down, Klammenberg clutched the bundle of talismans around his neck, babbling a word in the strange tongue of the creature in the doorway.

Light flared between his fingers, and the necromancer’s body broke apart into a roiling swarm of black scarabs. High-pitched, eerily human squeals filled the air as Sieghard’s sword crunched down through the swarm, mashing glossy black carapaces beneath its edge – but for the half-dozen or so beetles he crushed, hundreds of others were scattering every which way, vanishing into the cracks between the floorboards. In moments, nothing remained of Klammenberg but the wreckage of the chair and a few fallen drops of blood.

Looking round, he saw at last the monster the others had been holding off. Its black rags and long, scarecrow limbs reminded him of nothing more than the jackal totem at Rivermouth. The sight of the chewed bones that had lain beneath it flashed before his eyes, filling his stomach with ice and turning his blood to water.

Ludo however was master of his fear. Lunging at the monster with nothing more than a crossbow bolt clutched in his fist, the halfling stabbed gamely at the creature’s emaciated body. Twisting aside from the hated silver with supernatural grace, it hissed like a snake and bared its teeth, revealing long, canine fangs in its almost fleshless jaws. Vampire.

Adelbert had got the window open, and was perched on the ledge ready to jump when a dry roar and a blinding flash signalled the ignition of Elsa’s latest spell, filling the landing with fire. Staggering forwards from the sudden wash of intense heat, the creature screamed, little fires kindling in its robe.

It straightened to its full, looming height, its red eyes finding Elsa behind the press of bodies defending her. Silhouetted against the flames, it stretched out its hand, and Adelbert heard it begin to speak the ancient Nehekharan tongue once again. Looking down into the dark night outside, he swallowed, closed his eyes and jumped.

Adelbert had scarcely made the jump before the vampire completed its incantation, the necromantic power it unleashed sweeping the room with the force of a gale. Elsa watched as the two halberdiers guarding her fell, their skin greying and shrivelling before her eyes. She felt invisible icicles spear towards her heart, saw Ludo smashed flat to the floor as the third militiaman was slammed against the wall.

A maelstrom of Dhar was roiling around the creature now, shot through with the morbid light of Shyish. She had managed to make it angry – but trying to match this was like spitting into a storm.

~

Landing heavily on the kitchen roof, Adelbert felt pain shoot up his leg as he turned his ankle on the old tiles. It would have to wait – above him, the glass in the window blew out as the vampire completed its spell, forcing Adelbert to roll aside to dodge the raining shards. He could feel the foulness of its magic drifting on the air, a taste like ash and grave dust in his mouth.

It was another drop of perhaps four yards to the street below, though it was hard to judge in the darkness. Looking along the tiny side-passage over which he stood, he could just about make out moving figures and shouting voices on the street beyond. Ludo’s reinforcements were arriving – he wondered if they knew what they were walking into.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC stuff here since the OOC thread is now full. New OOC is here. Please post your character sheets first and give others time to post theirs.

Falling damage for Adelbert: (1d10+3)[6] - 2 wounds, he's OK!

Zombie Balios moves through the curtain of flame, taking another Damage 6 hit: (1d10+6)[12] - +2 crit. Using Sudden Death for these guys. Rolled it on an external roller, he's toast.
    Zombie #3 moves up behind him, taking a hit at the end of his turn for being adjacent: (1d10+6)[16] - +1 crit, does not trigger Sudden Death.

Start of Round 5:

Our friend goes for another Withering Wave, targeting everyone but Adelbert and Sieghard:

(4d10)[3][8][6][2](19)
    Dark Magic: (1d10)[5]
    Cast!

If successful, damage:
    Elsa - (1d10)[1]
    Ludo - (1d10)[10] - technically I should roll for Fury on this but it's a beefy crit already and I can't add more rolls to this post, so I think we can let it slide.
    Halb1 - (1d10)[9]
    Halb2 - (1d10)[3]
    Halb3 - (1d10)[9]

He then takes another hit from the Curtain of Flame since he hasn’t moved: (1d10+6)[8]

I may need some crit rolls. For simplicity I'll treat all Withering Wave hits as being to the body:

Elsa - (1d100)[99]
    Ludo - (1d100)[44] - Snapped Like a Twig. Helpless, Sudden Death, risk of permanent waist-down paralysis after combat.
    Halb1 - (1d100)[50] - Snapped Like a Twig
    Halb2 - (1d100)[97] - Unpleasant Blow -20 to everything for 1 turn.
    Halb3 - (1d100)[75] - Squished Gizzards - Helpless, Blood Loss, Sudden Death.

Last edited by LCP; 2019-08-04 at 07:35 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"What are idiots you doing?" Sieghard snarled. He pointed towards the window. "Go! I'll hold it off, get out of here!" He grabbed a halberd from the ground and stepped into the monster's path. "I'll be right behind you!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard steps into the space Ludo is currently in (I'm assuming someone will be trying to get him out the window), grabs a halberd from one of the helpless halberdiers (quickdraw), and makes a standard attack.

WP test this roll to try to overcome the terror penalty.
    (1d100)[83]

(1d100)[17] to hit vs either 61 or 41
    (2d10)[6][7](13) +6

Huh. Klammenberg has fate points. Can I at least have given him a badass scar?
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-08-04 at 07:46 PM.