New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

Sieghard

"This corpse was up, walking around and wearing armor a few hours ago." Sieghard said. He pointed to where his sword had hacked into Udolf. "The cuts are fresher than the body itself. And this is the same man who killed one of your people in Caerfort." He turned to the priests. "Brother Liebrecht, tell Lady Sforza what you told me about how long this man has been dead."

"It's necromancy. Foul magic worked by the same man who used the Norscans to attack Manaan's Keep."

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Titan in the Playground

Irene stood for a while in silence as Liebrecht spoke in his solemn drone, still examining Udolf's corpse. When you really looked, it was hard to deny how strange the body was - the stitching, the sawdust, the stink of preservatives.

"Alright," she said at last. "Suppose I take your whole story of... ghouls and ghosts to be true. What difference does it make? Muzio always says, no matter how ugly they look, they die when you put a spear through them." She clung to the Captain's words for reassurance, but some of her scornful confidence seemed to have ebbed. "Where is this necromancer now?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-08-18 at 03:54 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa was alone again, but at least this time she could study to pass the time and avoid dwelling on her guilt. She searched through the pile of books Adelbert had brought her and picked up the only one that she actually needed—but had not dared to request by name.

The war on Nahorek was getting very real, and idleness was a luxury she could not afford.

OOC - LCP only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do I have to spend the entire XP cost of the ritual in order to know its ingredients and conditions? Or can I put a "down payment" of 100 XP to know these things, then decide if it's worth it to dedicate more XP to the venture?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"The Captain is right," Sieghard said, "Dead men can die the same as living ones - Udolf here is proof of that - but that's not what worries me. Klammenberg can raise the dead to serve him. Whenever and wherever he needs to. How many graveyards do you imagine there are in the Reaches? How many battlefields where the dead were thrown into mass graves? He can raise an army from the ground any time he chooses to. And even if we destroy it, he can raise another. Again and again for as long as he lives."

"As for where he is now," Sieghard continued, "I wish I knew. He used some magic to escape before I could finish him. Him and his monster both."

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Titan in the Playground

Irene held Sieghard's gaze for a long while, thinking. "If he can do that," she said at last, "then why hasn't he done it?" She looked to Liebrecht and Hieronymus. "If he can raise an army at any time, why aren't we drowning in the dead?"

"The Garden of Morr here is consecrated ground," said Liebrecht, firmly. "We give our dead to Morr, and with Morr they stay."

"...Magic... always demands a price," said Hieronymus, his tone more circumspect. "Perhaps he simply does not yet have the power."

"And will he have it tomorrow?"

Hieronymus looked stumped. After a short pause, Irene gave an exasperated sigh.

"This is all because of Hildebrand's wretched book," she said. "No wonder the city is crawling with sorcerers, we might as well have invited them. Commander, do you actually have a plan to catch this man?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    "The Garden of Morr here is consecrated ground," said Liebrecht, firmly. "We give our dead to Morr, and with Morr they stay."

"...Magic... always demands a price," said Hieronymus, his tone more circumspect. "Perhaps he simply does not yet have the power."
    "The Garden of Morr may be, but there are other places he could find dead men," Sieghard replied, "The Mere is full of orc skeletons, and there's a great mound of bones buried beneath Rivermouth and those are just the places I know of. And even if raising them is beyond Klammenberg's power, the vampire is another beast entirely. They may not have done so yet, but we shouldn't take the possibility lightly."

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    "This is all because of Hildebrand's wretched book," she said. "No wonder the city is crawling with sorcerers, we might as well have invited them. Commander, do you actually have a plan to catch this man?"
    "His magic makes that difficult," Sieghard admitted, "He seems to be able to make men forget ever seeing him." He thought for a moment. "Wherever he is hiding, his monster is sure to be with him. Animals can tell when the vampire is near - they avoid it if they can and become terrified if taken too close. It's not much, but I'm afraid that's the best way I know to track them."

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Titan in the Playground

"No," said Irene, "it's not much." There was a heavy silence. "I think I've seen enough," she said at last. "Thank you, reverend fathers, for your time."

Outside the temple, the ahosi formed a wall to keep back the Geheimnistag crowds as Irene emerged back into the sun. Many of the common people gathered closer all the same, hoping for some crumb of charity. The Southlanders' unsmiling faces warned them not to push their luck.

"Set a watch on all the gates," Irene said to Sieghard, "and set half your men to search the city for this necromancer. Street by street, door by door, I don't care. Use your animals. Tell the people that anyone who shelters him will share in his punishment." One of her guards stooped to help her up onto her horse. "The other half can help you get ready to march. Esteban should be here before the week is out. You'll leave as soon as he arrives."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Albert hovered around uneasily as Irene inspected the corpse. As she was leaving he hesitated a moment, then hurried after and spoke up: 'Lady Sforza, may I speak on the Commander's behalf?'

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Titan in the Playground

Irene looked down at Adelbert from the saddle, as if she had only just noticed him. She studied his face for a little while before speaking - perhaps she was just trying to remember who he was.

"Schreiber, isn't it?" she said. "Aren't you the one who volunteered to go see those players for me? Whatever happened to that?" She waited just long enough for Adelbert to begin composing an answer before cutting him off with an impatient wave of her hand. "Well, what is it? Say what you have to say."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #1240

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Father Schreiber, Adelbert thought in annoyance but managed to bite his tongue before saying it aloud.

'My apologies Lady Sforza I shall attend to those players. I just wanted to state that I believe Commander Sieghard is the best man to deal with this problem. Not just because he is a splendid and gallant soldier, though he is. While your armies are full of talented officers I believe what sets Herr Sieghard apart is his experience. I have faced many monsters in his company and speaking as an anointed member of this Temple, and an old adventuring comrade I can think of no one finer to deal with a monster. His counsel in these matters is a wise one.'
    Last edited by RossN; 2019-08-20 at 12:53 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Titan in the Playground

"Experience," said Irene, giving Adelbert a doubtful look. "Perhaps you do not know Esteban Valdes, brother Schreiber, but he has been in my husband's company far longer than the commander. Your temple will be safe under his protection."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #1242

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'While I admit I am unfamiliar with Commander Valdes, Lady Sforza I suspect that battlefield experience may not be enough. Herr Sieghard has fought many horrors, the undead and worse and he has done so leading small ad hoc groups in unfamiliar surroundings. The vampire will be found by one familiar with hunting nightmares. Can Commander Valdes make such a claim?'

Adelbert gestured towards Sieghard. 'This is the man who delved into the Lost Library and who slew the Orc king. He kills monsters. He also makes an excellent team woth the wizardess. Will Valdes?'

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Titan in the Playground

"A fine testimonial," said Irene. "I would be more inclined to listen to it if this necromancer had not already been running rings around him for a month."

She looked back to Sieghard. "You have your orders, commander," she said, "see them carried out." She wrinkled her nose. "And for Shallya's sake, take a bath. It smells like something died in that armour."

She started her horse down the hill, and the Southlanders went with her, clearing the worshippers out of her path.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Someone did die in that armor, Sieghard thought.

"You tried," he told Adelbert after Irene had gone, "But there's no convincing her to change her mind once she's made it up. We're just lucky she's finally acknowledging that Klammenberg is a real threat. It only took several murders and half the city burning down." He yawned. Gods, he was tired. "I've got a bit of property now. Belonged to Dragos before I carved his head open. We could fit some of the people who lost their homes into those buildings. Won't be comfortable, but it'll at least keep a roof over them at night. Might have to ask others to open their doors for those who won't fit. I think it'd be better if it was handled through the temple. If we just ask people to open their doors without keeping an eye on who does and who goes there, Klammenberg is sure to take advantage of it."

Spoiler
    Show
    About what time of day is it and how long until Adelbert's anointing?

15. - Top - End - #1245

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'I think Klammenberg will be kept busy nursing his wounds for a while to come,' Adelbert replied. 'In fact the fact that we hurt them at all makes me think it will be a while before they appear again - if nothing else we've gone from a nuisance to... well, threat is an optimistic reading, but they will have to account for this.'

He stroked his beard thoughtfully. 'Frankly I'm not really the one you should be speaking to about the Temple housing people. Up until my own house was lost in the fire I didn't even live here myself. If you are looking for persuasive voices to open doors the Sisters at the Hospital might be a better bet.'

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"I'm not suggesting the temple house people," Sieghard replied, "I'm saying the temple should find people whose houses survived the fire and ask them to open their doors. Then direct those who need somewhere to stay to them. And that it should go through the temple or else Klammenberg lure them in or trick them into opening their doors for him."

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo

While the others spoke with the Reaches’ richest woman, Ludo was concerning himself with those who had suddenly found themselves among the poorest. The Shallyans gave him as much bedding as his militia detail could carry away, and soon he found himself supervising the establishment of a makeshift camp on the north side of the docks. Soldiers came and went as busily as ants, dragging the clutter out of Dragos’ old warehouses to make room for people.

There was no shortage of demand for the shelter they were offering. As the word spread, the scorched-looking crowds that had gathered around the castle and the temple quickly began to filter through into the docks. They were not the only ones, either – a few of the city’s beggars saw the opportunity to insinuate themselves into the crowd, along with Downlands refugees from the encampments that still huddled outside the north gate. Squabbles broke out among the waiting masses, and Ludo’s men had to bellow and crack a few heads to keep order.

By the time evening came, the Greenapple house and the first warehouse were both full to bursting, and the camp and the second warehouse were filling rapidly too. Many of those left homeless by the fire were carrying what remained of their worldly possessions with them, and the jockeying for space inside the buildings was almost as fierce as outside.

“We’re going to need to wash everything to rags,” said Ingwald glumly, as he watched two families bicker furiously over who deserved the last of the big tents. “Whole regiment’s going to get lice.”

“You say that like half of ‘em haven’t got ‘em already,” said Vilmar, leaning on his halberd. “Nothing wrong with a few lice. Proves you’ve still got some blood in you.”

Elsa

As the day wore on, the Shallyans’ infirmary was rapidly growing more crowded. Burn victims, coughing children whose hair was still thick with ash, even just people looking for a roof over their heads – they trickled in, one after the other. After one man with burns all over his hands stopped and stared a little too long at Elsa, Sister Stefania interrupted her reading to suggest that they move her to a more private room. “It’s not, ah, right for someone of your... stature, to have to sleep in the common hall,” said the Shallyan, nervously twining her long hair between her fingers.

The ‘private room’ in question was a spacious stone-walled chamber, just the other end of the cloister. Furnished for more long-term patients, it held four beds, each with a wash-bucket and a tall canvas screen for privacy. The back wall was dominated by a stained-glass window bearing the device of Shallya’s bleeding heart.

One of the beds was already occupied. A scrawny man with sunken features and a long grey beard, he sat up and smiled at the two women as they entered the room, giving them a cheery wave hello.

“How are you doing today, Herr Reinholt?”
    “Very well, very well. Who is this?”
    “This is Fraulein Hildebrand. She’s going to be sharing your room for a little while.”
    “Ah! Company!” The old man beamed beneficently, with the air of an aristocrat making conversation with a servant. “And what is it you do around here, my good woman? No no, don’t tell me – you must be one of the new sisters!”

Leaning in close to Elsa’s ear, Stefania whispered:
    “Reinholt has been with us for nine years. He believes he is Prince of the Reaches.” She glanced over her shoulder at the old man, who was still blathering blithely on. “We find it best not to take his illusions from him.”

“...of course, I regret I will not have the pleasure of your company for very long,” Reinholt was saying. “Once this unfortunate illness of mine has run its course I will be returning to my, aha, rightful abode in the castle. Any day now, they say!” A flicker of uncertainty crossed his broadly smiling face. “Just… as soon as they’re sure I’m strong enough. A lot of pestilence outside, I hear. A lot of… people. Someone of my station can’t afford to take risks.”

As Stefania hurried out, Elsa began to question the Shallyans’ wisdom in leaving her alone with a lunatic. It wasn’t much of a worry – even in her injured state, Elsa reckoned herself more than a match for Herr Reinholt. All skin and bones, he could barely have weighed more than Ludo – and besides that, he seemed more amiable than most anyone Elsa had met these last few months.

“So,” he said, brightly. “Have you been with the temple long?”

Adelbert

The sun sank down, and before the dusk had even darkened into night, the moons were shining brightly over Savonne. Mannslieb hung low and swollen over the river, its pitted face gleaming like silver. Morrslieb loomed even larger above it, the eerie light of the Chaos moon outshining that of its brother. It glimmered greenly from walls and rooftops, casting shadows as thick and black as tar. It ran cold fingers over the ashes of Tower Street, glinting from the blackened spike of the old minaret. Somehow, amid all the destruction, the slender tower still stood.

Down in the city, the streets had emptied. Candles were lit in windows, doors bolted and bells rung to keep restless spirits at bay. In the grand atrium of the temple, Raqiyah’s initiates swung censers of incense and chanted Classical plainsong, dedicating the night to their god. This was Geheimnisnacht, and there was no night of the year when Morr was more likely to hear their prayers.

In one of the more secluded chambers of the temple, Hieronymus was talking with Adelbert, going over the intricacies of the ceremony they were about to perform. “I must say,” the old priest was saying, “this has all come on rather suddenly. Usually in the cult we would require a period of study and seclusion… but I would never question Mother Raqiyah’s judgement. She is a very holy woman.”

“Once more, then,” he said. “I will present you to the high priest. You will swear the oaths of our order again, but this time on the Laws of Rodolphus. The most sacred relic of Verena in the Reaches.” He cleared his throat. “Raqiyah will perform the blessing, and then we will leave you in the chamber, to hold your vigil and commune with the goddess until the sunrise.”

He patted Adelbert on the shoulder. “I will leave you a little while to prepare yourself. We will be waiting when you are ready.”

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If the others want to meet with Adelbert, this is the juncture to do it: the ceremony itself is a private priestly matter, and after that Adelbert will be expected to hold his vigil alone.

~

When Adelbert came through into the chamber, Raqiyah and Hieronymus were waiting for him. Two braziers burned to either side of a brass bowl of blessed oil, filling Adelbert’s nose with aromatic smoke. Their flickering light danced over the faded murals that wrapped around the walls, casting long shadows from the two priests, and from the shape of Euthymius on Hieronymus’ shoulder. Adelbert had seen that bird fall off its perch while trying to swallow a dead mouse, but somehow in the solemn atmosphere of the room even such a dumb creature seemed holy.

“Holy Mother,” Hieronymus began. “One comes before you to be judged upon the scales of the gods. He has trodden the path of wisdom, and faced the enemies of Verena’s Law. I humbly submit him to be anointed a Father of the Temple.”

With great reverence, he produced the ornate scroll-case that held the Laws. Adelbert had seen it before, down in the deep sanctuary where the relics were kept. Stamped with the seals of six gods, these were the founding ordinances of the Temple, laid down by the first priest of Verena to count himself among them. Hieronymus held it forwards for him to touch.

“Do you swear to safeguard knowledge in all its forms, from those who would cast us into the shadow of ignorance?” asked Hieronymus. “Do you swear to be an arbiter of justice, and preserve your judgement from fear or favour? Do you swear to put wisdom before wrath, and wield the pen before the sword?”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Titan in the Playground

"We're not likely to get half of it back, frankly." Ludo said. "Call it the price for not having to break up any more riots."

"Perhaps we could build a few more huts like we did in Painford,"
    he wondered aloud. "Or Esteban's men will, I suppose."

Still leaning heavily on his stick, with Stoutheart's leash in his other hand, he started walking back towards the firescar. "I've been asked to look over the scene of the fire with the dog, in case there's still magic there. Ingwald, you take over here, Vilmar, come with me."

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Hold up a moment," Sieghard called to Ludo. He had managed to wash the ash away and take a short rest, though he didn't feel much better for it. "I'm coming with. I want to see what's left of their lair for myself."

Spoiler
    Show
    And maybe check out that tower too.

20. - Top - End - #1250

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert had at some point managed to grab a brief nap in the Temple. Had he not he'd have been all but falling asleep on his feet during the ceremony. The insence that burned away in the back of his sinuses was also helping. As it was he tried to look dignified and serious throughout.

His heart was hammering in his chest and his mind was awhirl with thoughts. For the moment Klammenburg, the vampire, even the hated Sforza faded away into a background hum as he contemplated what he was about to do. Adelbert's thoughts to turned to the Goddess, to the first time he had ever seen a woodcut of Verena in Die Geschichte Averland. It had been an indifferent work in Old Dieter's shabby copy of an already outdated book but it had been Verena all the same. How wise and beautiful and strong She had looked!

Guide me my Goddess, make me worthy of you!

Reaching out he gently touched the relic, took a deep breath and said: 'I Adelbert Schreiber swear to safeguard knowledge in all its forms, from those who would cast us into the shadow of ignorance. I Adelbert Schreiber swear to be an arbiter of justice, and preserve my judgement from fear or favour. I Adelbert Schreiber swear to put wisdom before wrath, and wield the pen before the sword.'

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It doesn't look like anyone turned up but if they did I can timesplit any conversation - or we can celebrate later!

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Ludo

Sieghard and Ludo were not the only ones combing through the aftermath of the fire. Bonepickers and other scavengers were sifting through the ruins, looking for anything of value that could be salvaged. The approach of the soldiers quickly scared them off, though not too far. They knew they could come back once the soldiers were gone.

Only the clay-brick lower walls of Klammenberg's house had survived the fire. The upper storeys had collapsed one on top of the other, a mound of ash and charred, broken timbers. The jagged stump of the chimney-flue poked up through the ruins, its bricks cracked and scorched by the heat. Ludo had to hand it to Elsa: when she started a fire, she didn't mess around.

Setting Stoutheart down outside what had once been the doorway, the two of them watched the little dog intently for any signs of discomfort. Stoutheart looked blankly back at them, panting and wagging his tail. He didn't seem to be behaving at all out of the ordinary.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gimme a Search check if you want to sift through the wreckage.

Adelbert

"You have sworn allegiance to the gods and their people in the Reaches," said Raqiyah. "You will serve them and no others. You will put their interests before your own."

Reaching out with her hand until she found the side of Adelbert's face, she dipped the other into the bowl. Slowly, solemnly, she marked his face with the clear, fragrant oil.

"In the name of the Queen of Wisdom and the King of Dreams, of the Earth Mother and the Stag Father, of the Maiden of Mercy and the Lady of the Silver River, I anoint you a Father of the Temple of Savonne," she said. She lowered her hand and stepped back. "May you live always in the grace of the gods."

Hieronymus bowed his head, and Adelbert felt some of the pent-up tension leave him. The ceremony was done.

"We will leave you this chamber for your vigil," said Hieronymus. He pressed the scroll-case of the Laws into Adelbert's hands. "Reflect on the wisdom of Rodolphus, and pray that the Goddess speaks to you." The old priest smiled. "We will see you in the morning, Father Schreiber."

Raqiyah took Hieronymus' hand and allowed him to lead her to the door. She hesitated at the threshold and turned back to Adelbert before departing.

"You are a brave man, Adelbert Schreiber," she said. She hesitated, and her voice took on the same faraway tone that Adelbert had heard in the great hall before. "The Reaches will have need of your bravery before the end. Beware the third house."

She shook her head, as if waking from a dream. Suddenly, she seemed a little more frail and tired than before. Hieronymus guided her out.
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-08-23 at 01:11 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #1252

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert's grey blue eyes widened as Mother Raqiyah spoke. Not knowing quite how to reply he bowed to the senior clergy and settled down to begin his lonely vigil.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Titan in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt

"It's not, ah, right for someone of your... stature, to have to sleep in the common hall."

Elsa rolled her eyes. "I know this is about my safety, not my stature. And I understand. Lead on." She carried her most prized book herself, lest one of the sisters decide to have an idle look inside before bringing it to Elsa's new quarters.

As far as company went, she infinitely preferred that of one cheerful, oblivious eccentric over that of a number of tired, bereaved, dispossessed, angry people who likely (and rightfully) blamed her for their misfortunes. Reinholt, for all that he was a few pints short of a full keg, struck her as far less unpredictable than the other patients of the hospital.

"So," Reinholt said, brightly. "Have you been with the temple long?"

Elsa smiled. She welcomed a chance for a conversation that was unlikely to turn sour. "Oh, I've only just been initiated. They took my measurements and are making my robes. It's an honor to meet you, my lord. The other sisters speak highly of your support for our good works."

She curtsied awkwardly, winced in pain, and lay down on her cot.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-08-23 at 04:38 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't know how much we need to search here." Ludo said. Frankly, he was terrified what he might find. Still though... He bent to it, and began shifting through the burned spars. "Whatever darkness there was here has moved on. Did you see which way the Jackal went?"

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim

Urgrim, bleary, had mouthed some semi-intelligible syllables to Adelbert before the priest had advanced, alone, into the Temple. Pulling his thoughts together,the dwarf had looked around for someone to cling to after that, and settled on the Commander and the grombolg.

"This is where you fought them?" he said, following the question with a low whistle. "By Grimnir, she did a number on it, eh?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I started this post thinking Urgrim had Search, but he doesn't,so I guess now he's just hanging out ...

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, Sieghard & Urgrim

Turning over fragments of burnt floorboards, Ludo found little that had survived the fire. Blackened pots from the kitchen, their wooden handles burnt through; melted brass fittings from furniture that had been incinerated in the blaze. By the wreckage of what had been the stairs, he found some scorched human bones, presumably belonging to Balios or one of the other dead men. Hastily backing away, he felt his foot strike against something solid under the drift of ash behind him.

Sweeping the ash away revealed a chest. Its wooden panels had been split and charred, but its bronze fittings still held it together, even if slightly melted. An onyx figurine of a recumbent hound or jackal was fitted on top of the lid, the only part of the thing largely undamaged by the fire. Forcing it open revealed a number of strange gold coins, just like the one the apothecary had shown to Ludo. They represented quite a stash, but they rattled around in the big chest like loose change - if the thing had ever been full, then it was sadly depleted.

Looking up from his examination of the chest, Ludo saw that Urgrim was staring. Though the fire had warped and ruined it, Urgrim had seen other chests like this one before, in the ruined antechamber of the Red Pyramid. And one had been missing...

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Once the searching of the ruins is done I think we'll be set to move on - let me know when you guys are ready.
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-08-23 at 05:36 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Titan in the Playground

"Looks like they're out of funds too." Ludo said, trying not to focus on the human remains he'd just brushed against. "Sort of the same coins as we found in Kheneb: maybe they found them at the pyramid?"

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Ogre in the Playground

"Gods," Urgrim muttered. Seeing the others looking at him, he pushed himself to speak further. "It's ... I mean, I think it's from the Red Pyramid."

He shook his head, and drew a deep breath. It was clear he was trying to steady himself. "It was one thing to believe that I was on the trail of the enemy. But this ... this is the first thing I've seen that links this man to ..."

Despite himself, he turned his gaze away. He could feel the sand, grating his skin, choking his lungs, drying his throat. He spluttered, uglily, pathetically.

" ... I'm sorry." Urgrim took a deep breath. "I can't - I don't ... " Again he breathed. Shutting his eyes, he balled his hands into fists, grinding his nails into his palms.

There were a few moments of silence. When his eyes opened, they were hard as diamonds. "This was him. I knew it, but at least now no-one can deny it. This was him."

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"By Grimnir, she did a number on it, eh?"

"Klammenberg did a number on it," Sieghard corrected sharply. "His lair. His crimes. His responsibility."

As they turned their attention to sifting through the ashes, he noted Stoutheart's silence. What that meant, he wasn't sure, but Elsa had thought it significant enough to watch for. "Stubborn bastard. We warned you there was a killer targetting priests," he muttered when they found the bones. "Sorry we couldn't save you, damned fool..."

"A chest this big would've been heavy when full," Sieghard said. "I can't imagine they carried it through the sand all the way here. If it is from the Pyramid, how do you think they moved it? And why would they leave the rest?"

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Titan in the Playground

"I imagine Udolf could carry quite a lot." Ludo said. He looked around. "Which way did the jackal go? Is there any point trying to follow it?"