New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

"How long had Besnik been there?" Ludo asked. "Because... that was actually Nahorek the demi-god himself. And he and Klammenberg have been planning this for... months? And we won. Twice. We held them off and knocked them back and sent him running away like a dog. They're going to try again, I'm sure, but for now... we did it."

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Ogre in the Playground

Ludo's triumphal perspective penetrated the funk Urgrim was stewing in. For the first time since he'd seen the column of smoke rising above the city nearly two days before, the dwarf felt himself relax slightly. "Aye," he allowed, his expression softening. "That we did."
    Last edited by Thragka; 2019-10-01 at 04:39 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'He's not a demi-god or a daemon, just an extremely old vampire,' Adelbert said. 'Powerful certainly but as Siegard said a corpse in rags at the end of the day. It was Klammenburg who introduced his master as Nakht-Horeb, formerly high priest to Djaf in the ancient city of Lamia and the being we know as Nahorek.'

He grimaced. 'Hieronymus told me that we'll need to call a conclave to elect a new high priest or priestess - even to find one. As for the Temple itself it will have to be reconsecrated, assuming that is possible. Presumably Nahorek's invitation still stands.'

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Titan in the Playground

"Many of them saw the fighting. Anything we don't have an explanation for they'll come up with their own stories to explain. They'll probably come up with their own stories even for the things we do tell them."

Elsa clarified her point: "Oh, they know about the monster... It was hard to ignore while it was killing priests. But they don't know that the monster was the being that many in the Reaches worship in effigy. What happens once they learn Nahorek walks among us? Do they give in to despair? Do Nahorek worshippers take it as a sign that their war has begun? On the other hand, if we tell people that we drove off Nahorek twice with only steel and fire, it may give hope to the people, and deal a serious blow to his cult. It also gives us the justification we need to start uprooting his cult more actively."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Titan in the Playground

"It's not a good look that, while trying to fight him before, we burned down the old quarter." Ludo pointed out. "That won't make it seem like we're the ones on their side."

"Irene said she was planning to write to her husband and recommend he returned to the city,"
    he added. "Which should mean that unrest isn't a problem, but I don't know how much it will actually help."

6. - Top - End - #1446

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'Honestly Elsa I haven't seen much evidence that Nakht-Horeb has any direct connection to modern worshippers of Nahorek. Remember to most people in the Reaches Nahorekvis a benign demispirit rather than a flesh and blood rampaging monster.'

He stroked his trim beard. 'Think about our enemy's agents: Klammenburg, the Norscans, the degenerates of Rivermouth... if there truly was a cult of jackal worshippers devoted to obeying the words of their vampire master wouldn't he have used them instead? Perhaps it would be better to ignore the worship of Nahorek - maybe even distance the identity of the vampire in the public mind.'

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Oh, they know about the monster... It was hard to ignore while it was killing priests. But they don't know that the monster was the being that many in the Reaches worship in effigy. What happens once they learn Nahorek walks among us? Do they give in to despair? Do Nahorek worshippers take it as a sign that their war has begun? On the other hand, if we tell people that we drove off Nahorek twice with only steel and fire, it may give hope to the people, and deal a serious blow to his cult. It also gives us the justification we need to start uprooting his cult more actively."

"We tell them what it is - a pretender. A dead thing pretending to be a false god." Sieghard suggested, "And if any of them want to think otherwise and start causing trouble, we'll deal with them then."

"It's not a good look that, while trying to fight him before, we burned down the old quarter. That won't make it seem like we're the ones on their side."

"Klammenberg burned down the old quarter," he replied. "He brought the sickness, he killed the priests, he turned their parents and grandparents into undead monsters."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-10-01 at 01:19 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah... speaking of burning, we'll have to burn those bodies," said Elsa, eager to move the subject away from the fire that had burned down a large part of the city. "The enemy can turn our own dead against us, so we must leave it nothing to work with. For the longer term, perhaps we can arrange for a crematorium to be built, and encourage people to use it for their dead. Nobody wants their mother-in-law to return from the grave."

She was content to follow Adelbert's advice regarding the cult of Nahorek, for now.

"Irene said she was planning to write to her husband and recommend he returned to the city. Which should mean that unrest isn't a problem, but I don't know how much it will actually help."

"I don't think the Captain should ease the pressure on Alvarran," Elsa said. "We need to end Alvarr's rule quickly. But it might be useful to send someone to Morr's Seat to see how the dust is settling over there, in terms of leadership. I'll bring it up with Lady Sforza."

By someone, she meant ideally someone other than her or any of her friends. She did not imagine she was much more popular in Morr's Seat than she was in Savonne, given the havoc she had wreaked at the Battle of the Burning Hill.

"And perhaps we can reinforce the city with the Falcons, if our coffers are deep enough," Elsa added with extreme reluctance. She hated to work with turncoats, but Falkenwald would stand nothing to gain from stabbing them in the back at this point.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Might be best if we make a list of things to suggest to Lady Sforza.

• Make a truthful and transparent statement about the undead attack on the temple. Emphasize the seriousness of the situation and the likelihood of future undead attacks, but also the heroism of our soldiers and the fact that the enemy was driven out.
    • Build a crematorium and encourage people to use it for their dead instead of the traditional burial.
    • Keep the chest in the castle for now. I don't think it's wise to hand it to the dwarfs without Captain Sforza's express approval, but in the meantime, we will congratulate the dwarfs for the excellent craftsmanship of the chest.
    • Try to assess the situation in the Raven Hills. If sending someone is too risky, we should at least listen to what travelers who've been there recently are saying. In essence: who is in charge now, and does Wadim have their ear? Are the Raven Hills people still licking their wounds, or already hungry for more war?
    • Prepare to welcome a conclave. Must be well-guarded; we know how Nahorek likes to target priests.
    • Elsa is okay with Sforza returning to survey the situation, so long as he maintains his siege. (I'm assuming he already intends to, so this is just to make sure there is no misunderstanding.)
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-10-01 at 08:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

9. - Top - End - #1449

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert frowned. 'Elsa, if you absolutely must plot against the Duke kindly do it when I'm not here.'

He glanced back down the cloister before turning back to the others, his mind on the Sisters. 'I'll probably be busy with this next Conclave and rebuilding the Temple structure in any case - I'm still far from sure we can use our old building but we have nowhere else to go.'

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Titan in the Playground

'Elsa, if you absolutely must plot against the Duke kindly do it when I'm not here.'

Elsa blinked at Adelbert in confusion. "I am not......... plotting against him."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

11. - Top - End - #1451

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'I meant the war talk,' Adelbert clarified. 'As I said I'm uncomfortable with that.'

He cleared his throat and changed the subject. 'Still, speaking of the Tilean I suppose Barbaro will have to be at the Conclave. I better ask Irene Sforza to request him as well.'

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim rolled his eyes at Sieghard's blatant insistence that Klammenberg was the arsonist. He allowed Elsa to change the subject, but seemed to grow increasingly uncomfortable with the line of talk that followed. A couple of times, he seemed about to interject, before biting his tongue.

He spoke into the awkward silence that followed Adelbert and Elsa's exchange. "Keeping this country safe from the Jackal shouldn't depend on the bickering of these princelings," he said. "If there's a worry that Sforza can't defend the Book while playing soldier up north, then he oughtn't be the one relied on to defend it. Like I said last night, I think the Dwimmulhold's the most defensible place in the Reaches to keep it out of the Jackal's hands. No dawi will invite him through the gates. And the Rinn's not going to start a bloody stupid fight with any of the princelings when we all oughtta be focusing on the real enemy."

He yawned. "I'll say as much to her, anyway, when I go up the Rock this afternoon. It'll be up to her if she wants to broach it with the Sforzas, o'course. But it'd have my support."
    Last edited by Thragka; 2019-10-02 at 04:12 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Titan in the Playground

"If Sforza retreats now, Alvarr has winter to regroup and this goes on for another year." Ludo pointed out. "I don't know if Irene would accept giving the book to the Dwimmulsons... but we could sell it to her as the only way to avoid her husband losing the war. She'll send whatever message through Elsa and the bird, right, so we have a chance to talk to her."
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2019-10-02 at 03:31 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"No priest allowed the vampire into the temple either," Sieghard replied to Urgrim. "All it took was the boy they had taken in to invite him. It isn't enough for the castle or Dwimmulhold or wherever we keep the book to be on guard for Klammenberg and his monster. No one who isn't known to be trustworthy can be allowed in or else they may do the same they did with the boy."

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim made a face. "I still think that makes the mountain hold the best place. Apart from the High Market, there's nothing up there outside the guarded gates."

He nodded diplomatically. "But - aye, I'm not suggesting we just drop the chest in the deepest cavern under the Rock and forget about it. Up 'til now, the Dwimmulsons and the Sforzas were cooperating in the safekeeping of it in the Temple. I hope that can absolutely continue, as seriously - no, more seriously than ever. Just think we have to pick the best location. Especially as," he added with a nod to Adelbert, "the Temple's not in the running, for the near future."

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"You may be right," Sieghard admitted. "Convincing Lady Sforza may not be so easy though. She can be stubborn once she's made up her mind. Even after defeating the vampire twice, I imagine she's still set on sending me away."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-10-03 at 07:24 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Titan in the Playground

"The Dwimmulhold seems like the best place by far," Elsa agreed. "Klammenberg can't just stroll in, even if he's using his spell that makes him inconspicuous, and he can't get a spy among the dwarfs. Of course, if we hand over the book, we'll have to ask the dwarfs to let me cast my spell of alarm inside their hold." She assumed they would need some convincing, given their aversion to magic.

She turned to Sieghard. "Lady Sforza would be a fool to send you away, but if she does, make sure to leave behind a couple of men who were with us when we fought Nahorek. Your replacement will need advisors who know the enemy."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"You'll still be around," Sieghard said. "Adelbert too. Anything they could tell him, the two of you could and he'd probably listen more readily to you than if it were coming from one of my men." He sighed. "I doubt I'll have much time myself before setting out, but we should try to find out if anyone saw Klammenberg and the vampire as they fled. Try to track them before the trail goes cold."

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Titan in the Playground

Urgrim

Leaving the others behind, Urgrim headed east across town, along the base of the castle’s curtain wall. The North Market was thronged with knots of people, many of them talking about the events of the last night. Urgrim determinedly pushed his way through, and began the arduous climb up the Rock. Puddles of water still stood in the wheel-ruts of the path, wet gravel crunching under his boots.

On the ledge outside the gates of the Dwimmulhold, the Rinn and a small group of her retainers were already gathered, overseeing the work of shifting a loose boulder that the wind had brought down onto the road. It was careful, painstaking work - if the boulder got away from them, it could well have ended up going through someone’s roof in the Rockshadow district below.

“Jotunnsson,” said Skorgrund, who was sitting on a stone beside the path. “Thought we might be seeing you. That was no natural storm, eh?” Taking a swig from a leather flask, he pointed to where Elmendrin was standing. “I’m sure the Rinn’s ready to hear what you have to say.”

Elmendrin listened to Urgrim’s report with the expression of stoic responsibility she seemed to wear most days. When she had finished, she nodded, and turned to one of the other dwarfs overseeing the work on the road.

“Morgrim, I need you to take charge of this.” She turned back to Urgrim. “Show me.”

~

The thin cordon of Sieghard’s men keeping people away from the Temple didn’t really know what to do when approached by a grim-looking party of dwarfs. One of them recognised Urgrim, and with a certain relief the militia parted to let them pass - none of them had wanted to start an argument with quite so many axes involved.

A greasy trail of smoke was still rising from the pyre that had been built out of the remains of Klammenberg’s coach, a great heap of blackened bones lying amid the ashes where the remains of the risen dead had been burned. A handful of men were ranging over the south slope of the Garden of Morr, picking up the remaining detritus of the battle - spent crossbow bolts, rotten fragments of coffin-lids - but there was no hiding the burst-open graves that pockmarked the side of the mound, some still filled with muddy rainwater. The dwarfs stood by the south gate, surveying the devastation.

“So,” said Skorgrund at last. “He really is back.” He looked to the Rinn. “Our ancestors beat him before, we’ll beat him again. As long as Clan Dwimmulson still lives, the Black Hound should learn to stay in his grave.”

Elmendrin said nothing, still taking in the scene. At length, she turned to Urgrim.

“It’s hard to disagree with you, Jotunsson. If the blood-drinker can do this, where in the low town is safe?” Skorgrund nodded approvingly. “We are not a warrior clan, but it seems the Dwimmulhold would be the safest place for the book.”

She looked to the west, where the towers of the keep rose above the North Market rooftops.

“The question is whether the humans will agree.”

Adelbert

The Temple’s initiates had spent the night sheltering in the Thorns’ barracks. Adelbert found Jocasta with them, watching a tired-looking Hanna entertaining some of the younger acolytes with stories of the Thorns’ adventures. He was relieved to see she was leaving out Rivermouth.

It took a while to gather all the other survivors together, but at last they convened in one of the austere, whitewashed rooms of the Great Hospital. Ioana, Stefania, Jocasta, Grigore and Hieronymus all sat around a plain wooden table - from the deep scars in its surface, Adelbert wondered if it had been used for surgery in the past.

“I can’t believe Raqiyah’s gone,” Stefania was saying. “She was high priestess since I was a little girl.”

“The greatest augur of her generation,” said Hieronymus, softly. “We will not see her like again.”

“Who will take her place?” asked Grigore. “Are we six really all that’s left?”

“I’ve been writing to summon all other brothers and sisters to a new conclave,” said Hieronymus, fishing in his robe with ink-stained fingers to produce a sheaf of letters. “We must choose a new high priest from among us. There is a brother of Morr in Ravenskird too - perhaps he can take charge of Raqiyah’s initiates.” He slowly shook his head. “But we should make no mistake - it can be no accident that we find ourselves so depleted. The beast that did this wants us dead.”

“But it failed,” said Jocasta, firmly. “It was forced to flee, and we still breathe.” She looked around the table, challenging the others to affirm her statement. “As long as the gods watch over us, it will always fail.”

Ioana nodded, but the others seemed less convinced. Grigore mumbled something under his breath.

“On the matter of the temple itself,” said Hieronymus, turning to Adelbert, “it seems to me we have no choice but to re-consecrate it. We don’t have another temple - not unless the Sforzas in their generosity see fit to build us one.” There was a snort from one of the Shallyans - Adelbert was too slow to see which. “More to the point, the temple is the oldest building in Savonne. It has served the people for hundreds - thousands - of years. We can’t let this creature take it from us.”

Sieghard

Passing among his men, Sieghard did his best not to let his weariness show as he carried out Irene’s orders to make them ready to march. He wasn’t sure how he could succeed - they had just given away all their tents, and with Ludo laid up in the Shallyans’ hospital, he had no idea where he was going to get more at such short notice. Ransacking the castle stores turned up only a few moth-eaten specimens that had probably been put down there during the reign of Duke Wulf.

The day wore on, and the sun had sunk below the level of the castle walls when Irene emerged into the courtyard. He hoped for a moment that she might be looking for someone else, but after a few moments’ looking around she caught sight of him and came gliding over, like a shark’s fin towards a struggling swimmer.

“Commander,” she said, then paused, looking around at the paltry selection of canvas the militia had laid out on the ground in front of him. “What are you doing?”

Sieghard explained.

“Don’t be ridiculous,” said Irene. “I’m not going to leave this place undefended, not after last night. You’re staying here.” Her tone was light, but her eyes carried the unspoken message: don’t make me say sorry.

“I’ve written this letter for Muzio,” she continued, producing a sealed roll of parchment and handing it to Sieghard. “Will you give it to Hildebrand? Her… bird… is the fastest we have of getting it to him.”

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Sieghard there’s four places. There’s Tent Town, that’s on 3rd. There’s Tents R Us, that’s on 3rd too. You got Put Your Regiment There, that’s on 3rd. Swing Low Sweet General - matter of fact they’re all in the same complex, it’s the tent complex down on 3rd?
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

20. - Top - End - #1460

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'Unfortunately the vampire is probably older than the Temple,' Adelbert pointed out. 'Which is presumably why it is so powerful. I assume you know by now the sorry story of it gained invitation? One our own initiates, the boy Besnick was a spy, probably from the beginning. He's dead now but I confess the invitation he gave may still have force allowing the creature to enter on a whim. I think it unlikely after the defeat he suffered but unlikely is not the same as impossible.'

He prepared himself for what he knew would be a grueling part. 'We have another problem... the vampire's minion Klammenburg let slip the true identity of his master. Sadly it was no surprise to me, or I suspect to anyone who saw its choice of mask or the animalistic form it took. In life he was Nakht-Horeb a priest of Djaf, a deity I strongly believe to be an ancient manifestation of the being we call Khaine. In his undead legends surrounded him, eventually giving rise to a different name - Nahorek the Jackal.'

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Grigore looked baffled and indignant. "Nahorek is an aspect of Morr," the old monk said. "He has been worshipped in the Reaches since time immemorial. Whatever this... thing may claim to be..."

"I saw it," said Jocasta, cutting him off. "Before it entered the sanctuary. It wasn't just words, it was the Jackal. It took his shape." She paused, waiting to see if Grigore had anything to say, but the force of her words had silenced him. "Raqiyah believed the Jackal was of Morr too, and it killed her."

There was a long silence. When the quiet began to grow uncomfortable, Hieronymus cleared his throat and spoke:

"It may be time for us to, ah, re-examine some long-held beliefs. A matter for the new high priest, perhaps, once they have been chosen." He shuffled his letters. "I am setting the date of the conclave for the sixteenth of this month. I trust that will suit."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim

Urgrim nodded thoughtfully to the Rinn. "This morning, the lady Sforza was ... a bit more open to new faces and opinions. I think the horrors of last night alone might cool heads, while they're fresh."

He scratched his beard to cover a yawn. "If I can suggest something, I think the spirit of cooperation and esteem would be the best way to raise the subject. My companions came around to the idea when I said it was the most sensible way to continue your partnership with the Sforzas and make sure the Prince's court still has a role in defence of the Book. They, eh, maybe aren't always listened to by the Lady, but two of them - the Commander, Sieghard, and the fire witch - are þegns of her husband. So I hope their opinion will at least mean something, now."

The ranger turned to face the keep, mimicking the Rinn. "I did take the liberty of telling Lady Sforza I was going to immediately report to you, my lady, so I think she expects your response. Maybe a visit to express condolence in the events of the past couple of days would be, um, a diplomatic way to approach her."
    Last edited by Thragka; 2019-10-06 at 10:05 AM. Reason: typos etc.

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"We should have the captain's reply in two days, so long as we don't have another storm," Sieghard replied, taking the letter. "There's also the matter of what to tell the people of the city. If we don't address what happened soon, they'll make up their own stories." He paused. "The vampire pretends to be a god. Even some of the soldiers muttered about the jackal when they first saw it. I fear the city folk will be even more superstitious."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-10-06 at 07:03 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Titan in the Playground

Urgrim

Skorgrund made a noise that made clear what he thought of diplomacy with the Sforzas. Elmendrin ignored him.

"It can't hurt," she said, keeping her eyes on the castle. "I suppose there's no time like the present."

Turning to her guards, she motioned with her head for them to follow. Muttering darkly to himself, Skorgrund trailed them away from the temple.

"Coming, Jotunnsson?" he asked as he walked by. "You seem to enjoy these manling affairs."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Up to you if you want Urgrim to go with the Dwimmulsons to see Irene - definitely not obligatory.

Sieghard

Irene looked blank. Considering the opinions of commoners evidently hadn't crossed her mind.

"If anyone starts saying such things, arrest them," she said. "Tell them the truth. A necromancer attempted to rob the temple, and failed. That's all they need to know."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #1465

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert gave Jocasta a look of gratitude, relieved he had not been the only one to see the Jackal.

'What will we do if there is no cleric of Morr available? Write to Tilea or the Empire?' I know Brother Cezar of Ravenskird and he is an excellent man but while I don't doubt his faith or ability I fear he has scant familiarity with the, um, more spiritual and mystical elements of life.'

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim

The elder's comment caught Urgrim off guard like a punch to the gut. "I ..."

He caught himself. Don't overthink it, Urgi. That is how greybeards are. "I will." He followed Skorgrund in silence. But simmering under the surface, various emotions fought for dominance. Doubt and confusion: What have I done wrong? Anger: Nothing. If not for my work, the cantankerous old fool would be sitting in the Dwimmulhold, ignorant until, Varag Kol laid siege to it. I convince the humans that this affects the dawi too, and this is what thanks I get. Sadness: And he wants as little to do with the umgi as they want with his clan. They will never respect each other. Bitter disappointment, and ugly self-pity too, in ways he didn't even internally want to make coherent: that the voices of the dead rangers he'd heard last night were right, and he was an arrogant simpleton to think this skarrenawi clan would accept him. He would never be accepted.

Don't overthink it. Examining each and every burst of feeling he had was not a good path to go down, he knew. At the end of the day, he did not answer to Skorgrund. He made his own path through the world, and he had the confidence to follow it. A ranger relied on themself alone.

Still, he was lost in his own thoughts as he followed the Rinn's party to the castle.

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Grigore and Hieronymus looked sidelong at Adelbert. "Cezar is a brother of the Temple, the same as all of us," said Hieronymus, gently. "And he is here. Unless you're volunteering to supervise the learning of Raqiyah's initiates yourself, Schreiber, I don't see who else there is. If we were to send to Luccini for help, whoever they sent could take months to reach us."

Urgrim

The guards at the castle's east gate weren't sure what to make of Elmendrin and her retinue. In the end, they were not kept waiting too long - but as the human soldiers led them into the keep, Skorgrund kept up a steady stream of grumbles about every slight, real or imagined.

The Lady Sforza received them in the audience chamber, the dais on which her seat stood accentuating the height difference between herself and her guests. Dressed in a fine gown of green and gold, she cut an elegant figure next to Elmendrin's plain and dusty blues. Seeing the two together, Urgrim would have been hard-pressed not to admit that not all human craftsmanship was inferior. Irene welcomed them warmly, and listened while the Rinn bluntly laid out her understanding of the events of the previous night.

"We said when we first learned of this book that the safest place for it would be the Dwimmulhold," said Elmendrin. "We have come here to say so again. We are willing to be its guardians, if you are willing to give it to our keeping."

"Thank you," said Irene. "The friendship of Clan Dwimmulson is dear to us, and I take it as a mark of friendship that you make this offer. I know I would not choose to have this thing under my roof if I could choose otherwise." Her flattery only seemed to make Skorgrund scowl more deeply. "And last night proved it needs better guards than priests - on that I cannot disagree." Urgrim could feel the 'but' coming in the pause that followed. "But I feel I cannot make such a significant decision alone. We have sent word to my husband this evening - if, when he returns, he agrees to this plan, then I would be more than happy to see the book in the care of your clan."

"And when will that be?" demanded Skorgrund. "When he's done with his manling wars? I've seen your people come and go for three centuries, my lady, and in my experience manling wars are never done."

There was a moment of tension, the guards and servants around the audience chamber seeming to hold their breaths - but towards her Dwimmulson visitors, Irene's manner remained honey-sweet.

"I hope Muzio will return very soon," she said. "Were it not for Duke Edouard's stubbornness, this war would already be over. And I know my husband longs for peace."

"And if the zangunaz should return before he does?" asked Elmendrin. "It went unseen in the low town for weeks on end. Where is it now?"

"Our best men are tracking it as we speak," was Irene's reply. "They will leave no stone unturned." Her eyes flicked to Urgrim. "Though I'm sure the assistance of Clan Dwimmulson would be greatly appreciated, as it was before."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard doubted much would be gained from arresting anyone who spoke rumors - such a strong response to something so small would only make them look desperate to keep something hidden - but he nodded all the same. Arguing that point was about as likely to work as politely asking Klammenberg to go away and stop causing trouble. "If I may offer a suggestion, I think it would be wise to open the castle to the priests. Last night is proof that their temple isn't as secure as they thought and it's too far for my men to reach quickly should the necromancer attack again. They will be safer behind strong walls."

Spoiler
    Show
    Regardless of what Irene says, Sieghard will leave for the hospital after this. He'll hand the letter off to Elsa and wants to speak with Adelbert once he's finished with his own business

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    "Our best men are tracking it as we speak," was Irene's reply. "They will leave no stone unturned." Her eyes flicked to Urgrim. "Though I'm sure the assistance of Clan Dwimmulson would be greatly appreciated, as it was before."
    Urgrim bowed - it seemed like it had worked in the morning. "As I said, my lady, I've only been under contract with the Rinn. I'm not of her clan. But it's clear to me that cooperation is important to both of your courts, Lady Sforza, Rinn Elmendrin." He offered a genuflectory nod to the Rinn as well. "I hope to follow your example. I'll keep working with Commander Sieghard, Lady Hildebrand, Master Stubbs, and Father Schreiber in the hunt for the vampire. And I thank the Rinn Elmendrin for her generosity, giving us with the silvered bolts that wounded the monster. Without them, we surely couldn't've seen it off last night."

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Irene, Earlier

Irene gave Sieghard a sharp look. "What do you mean, 'should he attack again'? I thought you said he had fled." She raised her eyebrows in a very particular way. "You think he's still here?"

Urgrim & Irene, Later

"Of course," said Irene with a smile. "We are grateful to the Rinn for all her assistance. And of course, as long as my husband reigns in Savonne, we will always render all the assistance we can to Clan Dwimmulson in return." Urgrim could practically hear Skorgrund's beard bristling next to him. He didn't know which would anger the elder more: the implication that the Dwimmulsons needed the humans, or the fact that it was true. "I know you and Muzio had some... differences when first he came to Savonne, but believe me, there is no-one in the Reaches whose friendship he values more than yours."

"Then I hope you will take our offer in the spirit of friendship that it is meant," said Elmendrin. "We have no designs on your book, but if Varag Kol has returned from the grave, the Dwimmulhold is the safest place."

"I'm sure it is," said Irene. "And I wish I could give it to you today. I've no wish to keep this cursed thing under our roof a minute more than we must." The disgust in her voice sounded absolutely genuine. "But I must consult with Muzio first. I promise you, you will have your answer soon."

"Very well," said Elmendrin, grudgingly. "Our offer stands, should your Captain give you leave - or should you change your mind."

The two rulers made their formal goodbyes, and the dwarfs were ushered out of the audience chamber. As they were leaving the castle, one of the beardlings in Elmendrin's guard piped up:

"She seems nicer than her husband."

Skorgrund snorted and cuffed the young dwarf around the back of the head.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb