New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: GLoG 92: Generosity, Love, Opportunity, Growth

Dwarf Fortress

The dwarven children make a face. Water? Like you give to sick dwarves? Gross. Utost looks at Reelshka in bewilderment. Is this like... is this a goblin joke. Is this what jokes are to goblins. She seems pretty serious. ...really?

Taguz has been through three pints over the course of this conversation.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

2. - Top - End - #782
    Titan in the Playground

[Dwarf Fortress]

Reelshka can't help but sigh a little at this point.

"Yes, water. Clearly, this is a cultural difference between dwarves and other folk."

Tuskfang is just looking between his mom and others, confused.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #783

Dwarf Fortress

Wait so lad you've never had any alcohol? Utost grabs the tankard back from Tuskfang, looks at in in consternation for a second before handing it off to Taguz, grabbing another tankard out from under the bar and fiddling around with a much smaller barrel. How old do you wait anyway? First beard? He calls to Reelshka as he fiddles. He is definitely getting this child more alcohol.

Show

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

[Dwarf Fortress]

"I haven't!" Tuskfang pipes up. He's not sure why this is a big deal, though. Weren't they supposed to get him a pet?

"Usually around eighteen years of age. Wolfen start earlier, so we'll figure it out as we go," Reelshka says, hoping to get it over with quickly.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Daycare Dark Room]

Sasha decides the person in front of her is very strange indeed. Need something? What could she possibly need? She has no needs. Only her Master's wishes, which she fulfills just fine without talking. Indeed, that is the Master's preference. And Karasu wants the shadows to show her who Sasha is? But... Sasha's literally right there. Maybe Karasu can't see as well in the dark as Sasha thought.

Adults were weird.

Sasha figures it won't hurt to try at least. As she continued to stare unblinkingly at Karasu, two shadow tendrils rise up from the floor, one on each side of Sasha. They rise and rise, growing taller and taller, until they become even bigger than the relatively small shadow girl who controls them. Bending and twisting, they cross above Sasha, reaching for each other until they entwine in the middle. Thus creating the perfect boxed frame of shadows for Sasha as she stands under the arch.

There she is. Sasha.
    [Daycare Dark Room]

Karasu realizes what Sasha's going to do as the tendrils start to bend and twist to reach for each other. She facepalms and shakes her head, smiling. "And I thought I was literal-minded." She simply says, generating a box of shadow for her to sit on, as she looks back at Sasha in silence, occasionally blinking.

"I heard some things about you. Your dad dropped you off here and disappeared. He didn't treat you well, but you're devoted to him nonetheless. I was hoping you'd tell me more about that, using your shadows to draw on the ground like I did, because it almost sounds like he's your Master or something."

Karasu continues staring for a few seconds.

"If not that, there's something I'm really interested in. What's on the other side, the shadow realm? I've never been there. Describe it to me with your shadows." She draws some shadows on the ground to indicate what she wants Sasha to do, then waits.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Daycare]

"I smile sometimes." Annie's mouth turns into a thin line. "I just don't wanna right now."
    [Daycare]

"Um, okay..." Asher has nothing else to say, so he waits until she's decided she's finished drawing so they can do something else.

He'll even make a suggestion. "W-Wanna build sandcastles later?"
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Ogre in the Playground

[Daycare Dark Room]

Sasha's eyes narrow ever so slightly as Karasu disparages her Master. Who said such things about him? Karasu is clearly listening to Master's enemies. Not everyone understands his great works and wish to discredit him. Or so he keeps saying.
    She really wishes she knew what discredit means.

How does one begin to describe the Shadow Realm? Or perhaps the better question is how does Karasu keep making the shadows move like that? She seems pretty insistent Sasha should do the same, but she's never done anything remotely like that before. Her tendrils are useful at grabbing things she guesses, but that's a level of precision she's never seen and certainly has no idea how to replicate. She guesses she can still try to imitate the Shadow Realm. Though honestly if Karasu wanted to see it, Sasha could have just taken her there.

A tendril of shadow emerges and stretches out, larger and flatter than any other tendril Sasha's ever needed until it almost resembles a black poster board. It's pretty dark and featureless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

7. - Top - End - #787

Dwarf Fortress

18! The poor boy. Utost says, head peaking back up from under the bar. I guess... I guess this'll have to wait. He says, setting the tiny barrel back down behind the bar. If you're breaking out the sunshine... You can bloody well wait, it isn't a special occasion if the boy isn't having any. Taguz wants the booze. She apparently has not had enough. Sorry, I think I got a bit off track. Utost says to Reelshka. World shattering revelations occurred it was perfectly reasonable.

Show

8. - Top - End - #788
    Titan in the Playground

[Dwarf Fortress]

Reelshka coughs.

"Uh, yes. I appreciate the thought of celebrating Tuskfang getting a pet with something special, though. Maybe we can think of something later."

"Like ice cream or cake!" Tuskfang himself wastes no time asserting.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meltdowner View Post
    [Daycare]

"Um, okay..." Asher has nothing else to say, so he waits until she's decided she's finished drawing so they can do something else.

He'll even make a suggestion. "W-Wanna build sandcastles later?"
    [Daycare]

Annie takes a while to finish up her colouring. When she's done she goes and puts it on a table off to the side before Asher asks his question. "Um, you have buckets? And shovels?" You have to have the right tools for sandcastle construction.

10. - Top - End - #790

Dwarf Fortress

Right, yes. Utost says, refocusing. A pet. Taguz here has a little speech I think. He says, looking to her. Hi. the dwarf says with a wave. So, this pet. It's what's called a crundle, little uh... probably shouldn't compare it to goblins... little bipedal guys with claws and teeth. Luckily they're social animals so they take training pretty well, and they're pretty much omnivorous. Can you read lad? She turns to Tuskfang, producing a slim stack of rudimentary paper. It's covered in dwarven runes that go over the training and feeding of crundles.

Show

11. - Top - End - #791
    Titan in the Playground

[Dwarf Fortress]

"Yeah! I've been learning!" Tuskfang is very enthusiastic in his declaration, after hearing about the pet he'll be getting. "What's 'bipedal' mean?" He peers at the paper intently, trying, to read... but it seems it's a bit too complicated for him. Reelshka will take a look at it instead.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Firbolg in the Playground

A visitor arrives, heading straight for [Hawthorn Cabin]. She appears to be a beautiful human woman with a pair of white feathery wings, in a suit of steel armor, with a large dog (it's a very good dog) at her side. That is just a cunningly crafted illusion, though. Beneath the layers of suggestion and tricks, one can see that she's actually nothing at all. No, wait, that's also a cunningly crafted illusion. Superior to the first layer, honestly. But if you look through that, you can see that she's actually an ominous figure in a hooded four-sleeved brown robe. We're not even going to talk about what the 'dog' actually looks like.

She knocks on Sekhmet's door, but Sekhmet will have been able to sense the two of them approaching for a little while beforehand.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2019-10-02 at 12:09 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #793
    Troll in the Playground

Hawthorn Cabin

Sekhmet senses the creatures' coming. She's not sure what they want, but she dreads their arrival nonetheless. She just might have some lingering resentment over being turned into a devil. When they knock, she refuses to answer. She thinks at them, "Go away. I don't want any more to do with you." Of course, if the hive is looking at her mind, they may see that the door is unlocked and Sekhmet is in her bedroom, in no position to prevent them from entering.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

14. - Top - End - #794

Dwarf Fortress

Means they walk on 2 legs instead of 4. She explains calmly. Now, with crundles you have a few things to keep in mind, alright? They're pack hunters so they're pretty social but you have to remind him of who's in charge. Don't let him do whatever he likes and always make sure you're eating before he does. Shows you're in charge, right? They can eat most anything but they're allergic to leafy greens and they need a bit of meat in their diet for their bones. He'll need exercise once or twice a day, whether that's walks or just playing with him. Uh... his nails will need clipping about once a month to keep them short - it doesn't hurt them or anything and they can cause problems eating. His tusks will be coming in soon, give him a bone now and then to keep his teeth healthy... Taguz is searching for anything else that seems important. Seems to be it. And take care of him, ok? If he's hurt let me know.

Reelshka will find that the pamphlet contains basically the same information Taguz is currently telling Tuskfang but in a better organised format.

Endok and Olon have started overtures towards starting a wrestling match with each other - nudging each other, putting drinks down, etc. etc.

Show

15. - Top - End - #795

Default [Hawthorn Cabin]

The visitor just opens the door and heads inside to make their way to the bedroom.
    "Sekhmet, you know we can't just do that. Didn't we agree to help you with your magic?"
    "Here, have a cookie. It will help."
    It's chocolate-chip! And actually it's a whole plate-ful of cookies.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #796
    Troll in the Playground

Hawthorn Cabin

Sekhmet is lying on her bed, with a book freshly closed in front of her, An Introduction to Demonology. She glares at the aliens out of her pitch-black eyes; she knows what they are despite their disguises. "Like you 'helped' me already? No!" She does not take a cookie. Last time she ate something these things gave her, she was turned into a devil.

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #797

Default [Hawthorn Cabin]

The visitor dispenses with their disguises, leaving just an invisible figure and one of the monsters that was standing guard in the ruined museum.
    "Suit yourself."
    She takes a cookie and eats it, the snack disappearing bite by bite.
    The dog scout hops onto the foot of Sekhmet's bed and lays down there.

"You've already been through the difficulty of Becoming. Now is time to reap the power and knowledge you were looking for in the first place."
    "My name is Spike. I'm pretty good at my flight's magic, so I'm going to be the one to teach you for now."

Her voice doesn't actually come from her mouth. Like the writer, she's mostly mute.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2019-10-02 at 11:12 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #798
    Troll in the Playground

Hawthorn Cabin

"I'm not interested." Sekhmet's glare is unchanged. She raises a clawed hand, a flame flickering to life in her palm. "I want you out of my home, out of my head, and out of my life. You've ruined enough already."

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #799

Default [Hawthorn Cabin]

"I suppose we can leave you here, and just teach the others. It won't be quite the same, but it will surely work out for us. Just look at me!" Spike muses, eating another cookie. "But that won't bring you back to how you used to be. Lots of us have been through what you're going through. If you want to put your life back together..." she trails off, leaving the rest unsaid.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #800
    Troll in the Playground

Hawthorn Cabin

Sekhmet narrows her eyes. She's been pulling her life back together fine with help from the people who actually care about her, thank you very much. She's really annoyed at Spike's smug, cookie-eating voice. She closes her fist with a snap, extinguishing the flame in her palm, and fire erupts from the platter of cookies. "Look at you? LOOK AT YOU! Something just like you tricked me into being dragged into the bowels of the earth and turned into this, this thing. Why should I trust you? WHY?" Her voice is filled with uncharacteristic rage, and she sits up, hands clenched and shaking with fury.

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #801

Default [Hawthorn Cabin]

They do actually care about you, Sekhmet. Just not the way you want people to care about you.

Spike drops the burning plate, a little alarmed.
    "You were already such a thing. Except the armor over yours scars; that's probably our fault."

Spike projects into visibility, no illusions. Lets a sleeve fall as she lifts a tentacle (for that's what they have for the upper set of arms) to pull back her hood, showing the catlike eyes, the normal (if oddly colored) nose and cheeks and brow, the jaw that opens the wrong way and in the wrong place, the bundles of hairlike antennae.
    "Yes, look at me. Why do you think I look this way?"

Ugh. They should have sent one of the diplomats, instead of her.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2019-10-02 at 12:10 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #802
    Troll in the Playground

Hawthorn Cabin

Tears of rage are streaming down Sekhmet's face. "I wasn't like this! I was mortal, I was free! Now I'm one of these!" She thrusts her book at Spike, her claws cutting rough gouges in the leather cover. "You have no idea..." Her voice trails off as Spike unmasks herself. "Stars... You were human, once?"

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #803

Default [Hawthorn Cabin]

Spike takes the book that's pushed her way and deftly flips through it with the sides of her clawed lower hands.
    "We are in the same boat. I know what it's like to see a stranger in the mirror, to be unable to use your own hands."
    She waves the book vaguely.
    "So I know that you're still the same person. You may have the body of a demon, but your spirit is still that free Sekhmet."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #804
    Troll in the Playground

Hawthorn Cabin

"It's not that simple." Sekhmet sighs. "My soul is bound to different rules now. I can't enter holy places, silver burns my flesh, and if some pervert," She spits that word with particular vehemence, "Were to call my name in the right manner, I would be forced to go to him and do his bidding."

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #805

Default [Hawthorn Cabin]

Actually, Sekhmet, they were speaking metaphorically. There's no such thing as souls.

"That is troubling. But we will help you overcome these new weaknesses, if you only let us."
    Demolish holy places with your mortal minions, become so powerfully devilish that you melt silver instead, start going by a pseudonym, etc.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #806
    Troll in the Playground

Hawthorn Cabin

How can you believe in holy powers, but not souls?

None of those things are what Sekhmet would remotely want. Spike is lucky she hasn't figured out how to use the mindlink to read the hive's mind yet. "I, uh," Sekhmet searches for the right words, "Why? Why do you care about 'helping' me?" She still doesn't trust them at all. It would take a lot to convince her otherwise.

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground

[Dwarf Fortress]

Tuskfang nods vigorously throughout the explanation.

"Yeah! I'll take him on walks and play with him! There's a lot of room to that up top."

"Seems easy enough," Reelshka says. "Molerats, like my brother's family has, need something to chew on regularly too. And I'll be sure to remind Tuskfang not to let the crundle have his way."

28. - Top - End - #808

Default [Hawthorn Cabin]

Holy powers are just another kind of magic which the hive doesn't understand yet. Nothing dualist about it.

"We agreed to help you. We keep our agreements." They might set things up so you regret ever making the deal. They might turn on you the instant the deal is completed. But they will stick to the deal. "And you're one of us now. We ought to stick together."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #809
    Troll in the Playground

Hawthorn Cabin

Sekhmet looks skeptically at Spike. "What if I don't like the way you help me?" Sekhmet thinks about the other comment too. For a hive mind, they seem to allow her a lot of individuality. Is that a ruse? Will they clamp down on her once they have her in their clutches? She doesn't want to commit to something she suspects she'll regret later.

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #810

Dwarf Fortress

Great. Taguz finishes her drink and stands up. Let's go see him then. Finally! Olon says, similarly finishing her drink and pulling her brother to his feet. Looks like things got set in motion before they had to fight each other to pass the time. Utost also drags himself to his feet, following as Taguz leads the way out of the tavern. She'll take the group to a smaller animal holding area set apart from the main floor, currently with a single crundle sitting in the middle of the pen, currently stabbing at a little bone ball that rattles as it rolls across the floor. This crundle has much shorter horns and no visible fangs, plus much shortened nails. Hello you little monster! Taguz cries affectionately as she opens the fence and scoops up the crundle, who squirms and makes high pitched grunty noises of annoyance before she sets him back down. Come say hi. She says to Tuskfang.

Show