New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [StarWars SAGA] cutting with Lightsaber question

So.. I did a brief search but found no topic discussing this, so I figured I'd make a topic.

I'm currently DMing a campaign and have a player with a lvl 4 Jedi PC who has had on numerous occasions, tried cutting down doors, transparisteel, etc ..but only with limited success.. to me this seems somewhat odd as it seemed that Jedi were cutting things apart quite easily in the films ... how would you explain a Jedi who rolls and hits an object, yet (even with bypassing item DR) doesn't cut the substance?

(for example, transparisteel at 2cm thick is 10 hp I believe.. the damage range of my player's Jedi, can range from a low 4 to a high of 18 ..that's a lot of chances to not do enough damage)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [StarWars SAGA] cutting with Lightsaber question

Well, for one thing, not dealing enough damage to immediately destroy it doesn't mean he didn't hurt it. Dealing 5 damage to a 10 hp item means you are about halfway through it, and another cut will take it down. Also, in the movies, it can take them a while to cut down a particularly thick item (episode 1).
    Creator Independent discoverer of the Bird Familiar With a Wand and the Cometfall Orbital Strike

Awesome Protoss High Templar avatar by Dorian Soth.

Gaming ID (Steam, SC II, LoL, etc): BobRedshirt

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

yea i suppose.. i'm just thinking.. 2cm of transparisteel .. seems like it should be easier for a lightsaber to cut ..also, Luke appeared to easily take out a section of armor on the AT-AT.. though i suppose in RPG terms he may have just done max-damage

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm fairly sure he struck a hatch there. But yes, even lightsabers have trouble with dense stuff like transparisteel.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's a novel idea: don't roll for damage when it really doesn't matter. If he's not time-pressured and it's the difference between everyone waiting around for two rolls instead of one, how about you just handwave it?
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I would say there is a difference between an attack roll vs an object, like you would have to do for a weapon unlike a lightsaber, and how Qui-Gon used it to attempt to cut down that door.

If you really need to know, find how much damage a lightsaber can do just being held to an object for 6 seconds.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I think that's the difference. An attack roll is likely to be a strike, a swift slice or a thrust, rather than a continuous cutting motion that would be used against an inanimate object.

I'd say that as he can do more than 10HP's worth of damage to the transparisteel in a normal attack, cutting a hole out of it to pass through shouldn't take much more than a round.

If you want to slow him down a bit, a round to cut the material, a move action to then kick the cut section out could work.