New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XXV: It needs work! BUT THE CONCEPT IS SOUND!

Is it just me, or does it look like Violetta should be able to easily slip those cuffs over the top of the poles they're attached to and be off?
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

2. - Top - End - #572
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Violetta doesn't seem to very injured here. She does however look very angry.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

3. - Top - End - #573

DwarfClericGuy

I wonder if Higgs is referring to the actual monster or Voilette. He did state it twice after both reveals.
    FTDWIR

4. - Top - End - #574
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareasint View Post
    I wonder if Higgs is referring to the actual monster or Voilette. He did state it twice after both reveals.
    Since the actual monster and Voilette are going to/have fall(en) in love, get married and give birth to all those smaller extra dimensional monsters in the future/past/present, not sure it matters.

5. - Top - End - #575

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Violetta doesn't seem to very injured here. She does however look very angry.
    Curios since Steelgarter claims to have killed Violetta. And Zeetha and the jagers found her blood at the scene of the fight.

But perhaps Steelgarter knocked her unconscious and gave her to the cultist; leaving with the assumption that Violetta was as good as dead.

/sigh Sloppy villany Steelgarter. Sloppy villiany indeed.
    Last edited by xroads; 2019-03-18 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Fixed grammar

6. - Top - End - #576

Probably turn out to be more Smoke Knight Misdirection Magic. if it gets addressed at all.

7. - Top - End - #577

Okay, these people are sooooooo f***ing dead it'd ridiculous. Tarvek's about to go full on Madboy, Zeetha and the Jaegers will do it for fun, Higgs would consider it a light work out, the monster is probably hungry, Wooster will do it for Britannia and as soon as Agatha figures out someone's trying to off one of her besties she's gonna remind people of why Heterodynes are viewed with dread and terror.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Um... Those posts look suspiciously like electrodes to me. Are they for the sacrifice or the monster?
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

9. - Top - End - #579
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Okay, these people are sooooooo f***ing dead it'd ridiculous. Tarvek's about to go full on Madboy, Zeetha and the Jaegers will do it for fun, Higgs would consider it a light work out, the monster is probably hungry, Wooster will do it for Britannia and as soon as Agatha figures out someone's trying to off one of her besties she's gonna remind people of why Heterodynes are viewed with dread and terror.
    So they behave like stereotypical Old One's cultists? It would truly fit them.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

10. - Top - End - #580

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Um... Those posts look suspiciously like electrodes to me. Are they for the sacrifice or the monster?
    Those would be the electro-veils mentioned last update. Apparently the Spark version of a summoning circle.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ogre in the Playground

Niiiiize! Violetta finally got to wear that beautiful dress she always wanted.

And when she made her entrance, every eye in the room became fixed on her...unfortunately including the really big ones...
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

12. - Top - End - #582

BlueWizardGirl

I got confused with the timey-wimey monster and thought the sacrifice had already happened (and was a bit disturbed that, even if Agatha was in the madness place, she hadn't objected). So, doubly glad to see Violetta's alive.

I wonder if Steelgarter doesn't differentiate between "dead" and "good-as." It's a common, semantic error with villains (hmm, the connection between villainy and certain verbal processing disorders, possibly connected in some way to the need to make elaborate death traps but never take the time to see if they work [which seems like an attention deficit related problem, but the co-existence of the two is too high to be ignored]).

On the re-occurrence of Sparks: According to what I read on the Mayo Clinic's site, 30% of hemophilia cases seem to be caused by a spontaneous mutation when there was no history in the family (Queen Victoria may be an example, but I'm not 100% sure).

It may be Sparkyness is similar. Although, we don't know how common the trait is outside of Europa, if stat numbers are about the same in other population groups, we could assume it appears spontaneously in populations or that it dates back to very early in human development and is more or less equally spread among all human populations. Of course, time travel may have also played a part in its distribution (oh, no, did I just suggest Barry is the ancestor of all Sparks? Wait, would that make all Sparks Heterodynes? Or do they still count after 20,000 years or so?). It's also possible some Sparks travel a lot more than other members of their population groups, again messing the stats.

So, boiling that down (and discarding time travel):

1. If Sparks are more present in Europa, we can assume a common, genetic ancestor and that Othar's goal might be doable.

2. If Sparks are equally present in most or all population groups, spontaneous mutation becomes more likely.

3. Although it's also possible that the trait appeared early. Its persistence (despite the high death tolls associated with it) suggests that it may have an evolutionary advantage (although that might be an advantage for people with the Spark surviving in a world full of Sparks rather than population groups surviving because of the Spark).

4. A limited geographical area with lots of Sparks might also mean an environmental factor that encourages the emergence of the Spark, like the way the Dyne influenced the Heterodynes (they are noted for the strength of their Spark and its high level of occurrence in the family).

13. - Top - End - #583

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    If Sparks are more present in Europa, we can assume a common, genetic ancestor and that Othar's goal might be doable.
    So all Othar has to do is
    Spoiler
    Show
    make a deal with three fiends?

14. - Top - End - #584

BlueWizardGirl

I could see Othar going that route.

Or, he might decide it's smack time.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Those would be the electro-veils mentioned last update. Apparently the Spark version of a summoning circle.
    I'm not sure - it mentions the electro-veils holding the monster in place, rather than the sacrifice.

On the other hand, if you are right, the veil could light up! I don't see a down-side here.

(I initially thought Violetta's veil was rather large - turns out that it is pretty small, and what I could see was a carving behind her)
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

16. - Top - End - #586
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Maybe they're summoning it to try and kill or destroy it, rather than control it somehow?
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-03-20 at 12:08 AM.

17. - Top - End - #587

Beholder

So what are the odds this will backfire?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I would say they are trying to steal it's power.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

19. - Top - End - #589

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    I would say they are trying to steal it's power.
    Or attempting to merge with it.
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    So what are the odds this will backfire?
    About one in....

*BOOOOM*

...one.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Orc in the Playground

Lord Snackleford's helmet in the last panel suggests mind transfer to me. Why try to control the eldritch horror when you can become it? I'm glad they won't be fail predictably, but in new and exciting ways! That's how your progress science!
    I reserved the right to be wrong. I just try not to exercise it.

Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #592

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by RedScholarGypsy View Post
    Lord Snackleford's helmet in the last panel suggests mind transfer to me.
    My thoughts exactly. Maybe our friend the time travel tense twister is what happens when an eldritch abomination is transferred into a human body?

23. - Top - End - #593
    Troll in the Playground

Or attempting to merge with it.
    They just never learn: No matter how tempted I am with the prospect of unlimited power, I will not consume any energy field bigger than my head.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    About one in....

*BOOOOM*

...one.
    More like : * clik, clik. clik.* "Bloody cut rate fuses..."

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Maybe our friend the time travel tense twister is what happens when an eldritch abomination is transferred into a human body?
    "I am the child of Violetta and the monster, come from the future to warn you!"

See back story in XXXenophile: Girl Genius Edition entitled "Bride of the Tentacles"...

25. - Top - End - #595
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Is "Reisitor" a typo for "Resistor", or did they intend to spell it that way to make it more Sparky?

26. - Top - End - #596

They may have planned a transfer chain:

Sacrifice <= Eldritch Abomination <= Snackleford

Leaving you with one conflicted Sacrifice body struggling to come to terms while Snackleford is in Abomination form and has his own body to return to (assuming it keeps breathing and living when vacant). Then dispose of sacrifice.

Alternatively, if only copying in the last step from Snackleford, have two Snacklefords running around, one in Abomination form. What could possibly go wrong.

Alternatively, if they've only figured out swapping, I guess we could end up with Violetta in Snackleford's body.

This being Girl Genius, it will all go horribly wrong. What are the bets on Violetta as an Eldritch Abomination?

27. - Top - End - #597

Beholder

My bet is still on "Explosions as end result"

28. - Top - End - #598
    Troll in the Playground

My bet would be that the extra-universal visitor overloads the machinery and Schackleford gets part of its personality imprinted on himself instead of the other way around.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hey ! Oggie, my manacles are up here..."

30. - Top - End - #600
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

And screaming. Can't forget the screaming.