New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XXV: It needs work! BUT THE CONCEPT IS SOUND!

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    And yet it's also been noted that Othertech is far more advanced than what Lucreia ever produced. My guess is that the spark is part of the physical brain, so Lucrezia lost it when she turned into a dybuk/bodysnatcher. However, thoguh timetravel shennanigans she had decades to advance her tech before that happened.
    This. Other needs sparks to advance the technology only now, when we know there is another copy of Other's mind roaming around Europa (could it be Clankrezia perhaps?). Before it was only the case, because Other was simply missing.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

2. - Top - End - #662

Oy vey. How many bullet points on the Evil Overlord list did this guy just click on?

3. - Top - End - #663
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Um, yeah, I'm sure things will go exactly the way this cultist thinks they will. Even assuming Lord Snackleford wasn't planning to feed them to the extra-dimensional alien in the first place.

How the heck did a cult this crazy takeover most of Albia's mad science division without anybody noticing? Has she been keeping them isolated or something?

4. - Top - End - #664
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    Um, yeah, I'm sure things will go exactly the way this cultist thinks they will. Even assuming Lord Snackleford wasn't planning to feed them to the extra-dimensional alien in the first place.

How the heck did a cult this crazy takeover most of Albia's mad science division without anybody noticing? Has she been keeping them isolated or something?
    Lord SNACKleford....

And these sparks are isolated in the dome. Makes it easier to kill them all at the same time.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

5. - Top - End - #665
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Lord SNACKleford....

And these sparks are isolated in the dome. Makes it easier to kill them all at the same time.
    That is one meaningful name now we think of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Seems like one of the hallmarks of a truly strong spark is having an at least somewhat realistic assessment of your own limitations, as Agatha is demonstrating in the last panel. I imagine her thoughts right now are something like "Even I couldn't do that, and you think you bozos have a chance?"
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

7. - Top - End - #667

AssassinGuy

sobered her right out of madness place.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

8. - Top - End - #668
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Edit: in response to both of the above posters positing that Lucrezia might have been taken over by The Other, the entity in Agatha clearly self-identifies as Lucrezia and we know from Klaus that it has her mannerisms. Why would a non-Lucrezia Other continue to impersonate her when no longer in her body?
    Because it's in the head of her daughter, and therefore it's more likely to get the desired reaction if it announces itself as Lucrezia rather than some horrific extra-dimensional monstrosity, or whatever it actually is?

There was a scene, I forget where, where we saw Lucrezia coming to the Geisters, heavily pregnant and showing genuine fear, saying that "they" were threatening her unborn child. To me, that seems the more likely reaction of the original Lucrezia rather than the one who was the Other--we've certainly seen precious little motherly love from the entity occupying Agatha's head. Heck, the whole "I will download my personality into my daughter so I can live on after my death" is a pretty horrific thing for a parent to do (and yes, I know the Baron did the same to Gil, I don't rate him highly as a father either).

9. - Top - End - #669
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Seems like one of the hallmarks of a truly strong spark is having an at least somewhat realistic assessment of your own limitations, as Agatha is demonstrating in the last panel. I imagine her thoughts right now are something like "Even I couldn't do that, and you think you bozos have a chance?"
    Actually i think the follow up will be Agatha pointing out to them the gross flaws in their cultist thinking. Namely that history is often overly romanticized, the science of the ancient past was NOT better than what they have today, and that trying to absorb the knowledge of the extra dimensional creature will likely get them nothing useful. It is not necessarily the case that the creature form another dimension has some superior knowledge that they don't have, an alternate dimension may not even operate on same science as their own thus making anything it knows virtually useless, the creature will likely speak in a language none of them know thus having no way to decipher anything they could know, and that they never bothered to check to see if this thing was even sentient as a feral animal would not know anything. There is just A LOT of basic flaws in their thinking, though i think just the part about how they romantize the past is annoying alone; that "you've been reading WAY too many fantasy stories" kind of reaction

10. - Top - End - #670
    Titan in the Playground

To me, bodysnatchers are entities which kidnap people and then impersonate them through shapeshifting.
    That's the first time I hear that definition. I mean snatcher means thief.

And yet it's also been noted that Othertech is far more advanced than what Lucreia ever produced. My guess is that the spark is part of the physical brain, so Lucrezia lost it when she turned into a dybuk/bodysnatcher. However, thoguh timetravel shennanigans she had decades to advance her tech before that happened.
    Well everything the brain does is part of the physical brain ^^. However it is true that since they don't understand the Saprk they'd have trouble replicating it inside a mecanical mind. Then again that depends if they copy the entire structure of the brain inside the clank/computer it could survive. Hmm I don't know.

It seems, to me at least, more likely that something happened to her that turned her into a genocidal maniac than that she was taken over by one that decided to impersonate her.
    That's not what I'm saying though. I think it more likely that Lucrezia merged with the Other or that the Other ended up with Lucrezia's memory and sense or self or Lucrezia ending up with the Other's.

Klaus didn't. He just had a thing for bad girls at the time, a mistake he has since thoroughly regretted.
    There's bad and there's "mass murder half of Europe" I don't think Klaus liked them that bad.
    As to the Heterodynes, Klaus himself was worried that they were too naive and that even if she really was making a genuine effort to be good, she would get bored.
    You don't need to be good not to murder an entire continent.
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Seems like one of the hallmarks of a truly strong spark is having an at least somewhat realistic assessment of your own limitations
    Nah, it's just that the reaaly strong sparks without that don't survive their first creation.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    and yes, I know the Baron did the same to Gil, I don't rate him highly as a father either.
    No, he didn't.
    Klaus didn't transfer his consciousness into Gil, it's still trapped into Mecanicsburg where it can't be ordered to do any harm. The overlay is there because Klaus don't trust Gil not to be manipulated while he tries to fix this.
    Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Actually i think the follow up will be Agatha pointing out to them the gross flaws in their cultist thinking. Namely that history is often overly romanticized, the science of the ancient past was NOT better than what they have today, and that trying to absorb the knowledge of the extra dimensional creature will likely get them nothing useful. It is not necessarily the case that the creature form another dimension has some superior knowledge that they don't have, an alternate dimension may not even operate on same science as their own thus making anything it knows virtually useless, the creature will likely speak in a language none of them know thus having no way to decipher anything they could know, and that they never bothered to check to see if this thing was even sentient as a feral animal would not know anything. There is just A LOT of basic flaws in their thinking, though i think just the part about how they romantize the past is annoying alone; that "you've been reading WAY too many fantasy stories" kind of reaction
    I mean, in the past they had bona fide teleportation portals, so...
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    No, he didn't.
    Klaus didn't transfer his consciousness into Gil, it's still trapped into Mecanicsburg where it can't be ordered to do any harm. The overlay is there because Klaus don't trust Gil not to be manipulated while he tries to fix this.
    Klaus loves his son, even Tarvek made note of that. I'm not sure that he though Gil might be manipulated, maybe more like he didn't think Gil had the experience yet. And you can bet that there is method to remove the overlay and it not cause Gil any harm.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

12. - Top - End - #672
    Titan in the Playground

Klaus loves his son, even Tarvek made note of that. I'm not sure that he though Gil might be manipulated, maybe more like he didn't think Gil had the experience yet. And you can bet that there is method to remove the overlay and it not cause Gil any harm.
    At the time he thought Agatha/Lucrezia was using Gil's feeling, no?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    Theory time: They're trying to replicate the god-queens' ascension.
    Called it. Still wondering who/what the time travelling monster is
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Girl Genius is a fantasy story, and one reason is this way is because many Sparks have all the jealous possessiveness of a guildmaster, without an obvious apprentice cadre to teach. So while there is some common body of scientific knowledge being advanced over time, there's also a lot of knowledge that dies with its discoverer.

15. - Top - End - #675

RedWizardGuy

Well, yes, but I mean, does Albia not have people regularly coming in and out?

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    There's bad and there's "mass murder half of Europe" I don't think Klaus liked them that bad.
    He didn't know she was physically capable of it.

And yes, that's why he's so obsessed with keeping Gil away from Agatha. He made a horrible mistake, realized it was a horrible mistake, and is now so traumatized by it that he can't not see Agatha as the second coming of her mother.

16. - Top - End - #676

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    Called it. Still wondering who/what the time travelling monster is
    Wild Theory: It's what Snacky turns into after merging with the Abombination.

And another one: Lucrezia "cared" about her unborn child because she was created, at the time, as a receptacle into which Lucrezia's consciousness would eventually be transferred. (Which is why she's a Heterodyne female in the first place.) Subsequent events changed The Plan, and Agatha is now not only disposable, but an impediment.
    Last edited by geoduck; 2019-03-27 at 01:24 PM.

17. - Top - End - #677

PirateCaptain

So your question is "how did a cult this insane convince people defined largely as being insane?"?

Because it's in the head of her daughter, and therefore it's more likely to get the desired reaction if it announces itself as Lucrezia rather than some horrific extra-dimensional monstrosity, or whatever it actually is?
    Possibly, but by this point I think it's pretty clear that Agatha is not going to do it any favours based on any purported blood relation. Also, it calls itself Lucrezia even when there's nobody else around to hear.

There was a scene, I forget where, where we saw Lucrezia coming to the Geisters, heavily pregnant and showing genuine fear, saying that "they" were threatening her unborn child. To me, that seems the more likely reaction of the original Lucrezia rather than the one who was the Other--we've certainly seen precious little motherly love from the entity occupying Agatha's head. Heck, the whole "I will download my personality into my daughter so I can live on after my death" is a pretty horrific thing for a parent to do (and yes, I know the Baron did the same to Gil, I don't rate him highly as a father either).
    Or maybe the whole "I will download my personality into my daughter so I can live on after my death" is why she was so desperate to preserve this child. After all, the instructions she gave to the Geisters weren't "find my daughter, then serve and obey her as you would me", they were "find my child, then strap her into the beacon engine and summon me into her".

18. - Top - End - #678

RedWizardGuy

So your question is "how did a cult this insane convince people defined largely as being insane?"?
    No, my question isn't how they took over. My question is how they did so undetected until now. These people don't look good at subtlety.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Firbolg in the Playground

No, my question isn't how they took over. My question is how they did so undetected until now. These people don't look good at subtlety.
    Because the two people who were supposed to watch out for this sort of thing were a dottering fool (when he was off his meds, which was almost all the time), and the leader of the cult. You don't need subtlety if you are the person who writes all the reports.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

20. - Top - End - #680

Which I guess makes Rakethorn and his ilk worthless if they can't even suss out this stuff. Or they're among the corrupted as well.

21. - Top - End - #681

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Which I guess makes Rakethorn and his ilk worthless if they can't even suss out this stuff. Or they're among the corrupted as well.
    It's pretty clear that Rakethorn's area of expertise is seducing impressionable young women as assigned to him by Albia, not doing Spark-plot counter-intelligence. Trelawney, on the other hand, maybe should have caught this.

And Wooster did find out about it when assigned the case, and pretty quickly.

22. - Top - End - #682

Wooster's been up to his eyebrows in Heterodynes, Wulfenbachs, Mechanicsburgers and the Storm King Clan. He's probably the best agent they have, else he wouldn't have survived.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Wooster's been up to his eyebrows in Heterodynes, Wulfenbachs, Mechanicsburgers and the Storm King Clan. He's probably the best agent they have, else he wouldn't have survived.
    And Thorpe probably spends less than 5 days a year in the dome what with all the princess rescuing that goes on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

24. - Top - End - #684

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Because the two people who were supposed to watch out for this sort of thing were a dottering fool (when he was off his meds, which was almost all the time), and the leader of the cult. You don't need subtlety if you are the person who writes all the reports.
    It was said at one point that going against Albia's will was *literally* unthinkable. Guess it isn't quite as unthinkable as all that, given what we're seeing here!

25. - Top - End - #685

PirateCaptain

It was said at one point that going against Albia's will was *literally* unthinkable. Guess it isn't quite as unthinkable as all that, given what we're seeing here!
    We only have Gil's word on that, and he was a) in the middle of a speech about how Wulfenbach is superior to other rulers and b) impersonating a pirate captain, who would probably not be as well-informed as the real Gil. It's entirely possible he made it up or repeated some exaggerated rumour in order to bolster his disguise.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    And Thorpe probably spends less than 5 days a year in the dome what with all the princess rescuing that goes on.
    You know, if Seffie was one of the princesses Miss Thorpe rescued, maybe with the aid of or even from Cap'n 'awkins, THAT would be a tale worth the telling! *official request for next filler story or better yet, XXXenophile*
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

27. - Top - End - #687
    Titan in the Playground

There is. Klaus more or less send Gil a secret message telling him that though the storyteller.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

28. - Top - End - #688

Thats kind of a theme so far really. I mean, Tarvek used to join groups dedicated to figuring out how the master controlled paris where the secret was to know exactly the right moment to leave as they tended to be destroyed when they got too far. Ancient rulers with a well earned reputation for infallibility who it turns out had plotters right under their noses who agatha manages to bring to light in a destructive way.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

29. - Top - End - #689
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Thats kind of a theme so far really. I mean, Tarvek used to join groups dedicated to figuring out how the master controlled paris where the secret was to know exactly the right moment to leave as they tended to be destroyed when they got too far. Ancient rulers with a well earned reputation for infallibility who it turns out had plotters right under their noses who agatha manages to bring to light in a destructive way.
    Actually Agatha has done nothing that exposed those plotters. It was their own actions that exposed the plotters. Agatha has been helpful in fighting them, but that is all.

30. - Top - End - #690

Actually Agatha has done nothing that exposed those plotters. It was their own actions that exposed the plotters. Agatha has been helpful in fighting them, but that is all.
    Agatha was directly responsible for paris. Her showing up with a wasp detecting weasel forced the bad guys to move ahead with their plan and exposed how much of paris they had infiltrated already. At least among its underground kingdoms and emissaries. She didnt go out herself looking for conspiracies, and she didnt really uncover it, but her presence and what she brought with her was why it all went down while she was there. Its similar here. Agatha and crew have uncovered this whole mess from like three different angles and found an entire society of cthulu cultists trying to absorb outer dimensional beings to overthrow albia.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."