New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Girl Genius XXV: It needs work! BUT THE CONCEPT IS SOUND!

So, do you think, "What could possibly go wrong?" was something these guys officially recited en masse at their weekly club meetings?

2. - Top - End - #692
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    So, do you think, "What could possibly go wrong?" was something these guys officially recited en masse at their weekly club meetings?
    They're sparks. Its right after: "I WILL SHOW THEM! I WILL SHOW THEM ALL!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

3. - Top - End - #693

AssassinGuy

it would be realky funny if they summoned the extradimentional equivslrnt of a chicken.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

4. - Top - End - #694
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Agatha was directly responsible for paris. Her showing up with a wasp detecting weasel forced the bad guys to move ahead with their plan and exposed how much of paris they had infiltrated already. At least among its underground kingdoms and emissaries. She didnt go out herself looking for conspiracies, and she didnt really uncover it, but her presence and what she brought with her was why it all went down while she was there. Its similar here. Agatha and crew have uncovered this whole mess from like three different angles and found an entire society of cthulu cultists trying to absorb outer dimensional beings to overthrow albia.
    I may have misread them, but it sounded less like they wanted to overthrow Albia and more wanted to join her as equals. Honestly, I don't think anyone from this kingdom can think of themselves as "above" Albia - she represents the pinnacle they strive to reach.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

5. - Top - End - #695

"All will gratefully bow before us, even Albia herself!"

Last panel of Wednesday's strip.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    "All will gratefully bow before us, even Albia herself!"

Last panel of Wednesday's strip.
    Then I am wrong.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

7. - Top - End - #697

You made the mistake of assuming they had some survival instincts, no matter how vestigial. You forgot these are Sparks we're talking about.

8. - Top - End - #698

Even a demigoddess such as Albia has so much trouble keeping her spark subjects in line. Now consider Klaus, an ordinary (relatively speaking) spark, who could keep his empire together without the implicit loyalty that's usual towards Albia. That's a feat.
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by petersohn View Post
    Even a demigoddess such as Albia has so much trouble keeping her spark subjects in line. Now consider Klaus, an ordinary (relatively speaking) spark, who could keep his empire together without the implicit loyalty that's usual towards Albia. That's a feat.
    Its impressive sure, but dont forget to add that his empire is WAAAAY bigger than paris or england on top of it all. Too be fair he isnt as good as the master or albia as there is always trouble, which is why he lives in his giant sky fleet, but yeah, being able to keep things together and conflagrations on the small side is a really good sign of just how effective he is with his government plan. (Mostly it boils down to "DONT MAKE ME COME OVER THERE!")
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #700

Its impressive sure, but dont forget to add that his empire is WAAAAY bigger than paris or england on top of it all. Too be fair he isnt as good as the master or albia as there is always trouble, which is why he lives in his giant sky fleet, but yeah, being able to keep things together and conflagrations on the small side is a really good sign of just how effective he is with his government plan. (Mostly it boils down to "DONT MAKE ME COME OVER THERE!")
    Judging from the Gil-in-Paris flashbacks we've seen, there have been regular conflagrations in that city as well. It would be interesting to hear how calm and orderly Albia's rule has actually been. (Quite apart from the whole "sinking into the ocean" thing..)

11. - Top - End - #701

The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires.

12. - Top - End - #702

Beholder

So far, rules like to keep tabs on their sparks, keep them in singular places, and get rid of them when the need arises. The Master knew of the secret societies, Albia keeps them in one easy to explode dome, and the baron has them concentrated in his airfleet.

As for Albia's rule. I think its unthinkable to go against her, but these are sparks. People for whom "unthinkable" is bullet point three before lunchtime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires.
    Hmmmm. I think this is sig-worthy. May I?
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

14. - Top - End - #704

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    So far, rules like to keep tabs on their sparks, keep them in singular places, and get rid of them when the need arises. The Master knew of the secret societies, Albia keeps them in one easy to explode dome, and the baron has them concentrated in his airfleet.
    Wulfenbach certainly had a lot of sparks on the Castle (or in the other Castle), but it was far from all of them. Taurus Beetle, Aaronev Sturmvoraus (and Tarvek, from about the age of 10), Gottmurg Snarlantz, Martellus von Blitzengard (assuming he hadn't been in Paris or something) and probably dozens of other powerful sparks that either I've forgotten or haven't been mentioned were running around free in the Empire with no greater control than the threat of the Baron "coming over there".

15. - Top - End - #705
    Titan in the Playground

Wulfenback really had a rather simple solution.
    Leave each Spark in his own sizeable domain, moderatly isolated from to much contact with other major sparks.
    And then just try and keep them isolated in those small enclaves with the threat of "comming over there"

I honestly think its one of the better solutions, when you dont have the power to stuff all of them down into a single dome.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

16. - Top - End - #706

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Hmmmm. I think this is sig-worthy. May I?
    I think that's my third sigging this year. Yeah, go ahead, make me look more quippable and quotable, if you wish.

17. - Top - End - #707

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Wulfenback really had a rather simple solution.
    Leave each Spark in his own sizeable domain, moderatly isolated from to much contact with other major sparks.
    And then just try and keep them isolated in those small enclaves with the threat of "comming over there"

I honestly think its one of the better solutions, when you dont have the power to stuff all of them down into a single dome.
    The print-novels specify not every Spark gets his own fiefdom, many of the minor ones work directly (and happily) for the Baron, designing and improving all of his clanks and weapons, and getting fed and regularly lavished with awards and banquets.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Troll in the Playground

Varpa apparently didn't make it. :(

19. - Top - End - #709

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Seffie must have more than one smoke knight. Perhaps this is just the one she had in England, or the one who speaks English, or maybe she just gave Varpa some time off after serving her particularly well in Paris.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ogre in the Playground

We only have Gil's word on that, and he was a) in the middle of a speech about how Wulfenbach is superior to other rulers and b) impersonating a pirate captain, who would probably not be as well-informed as the real Gil. It's entirely possible he made it up or repeated some exaggerated rumour in order to bolster his disguise.
    Well what i think is nagging is that first, Gil used the term "literally" and i do not take Gil to be the type of person to use the term "literally" wrong, thus implying that it really was not possible to even think of opposing Albia, and second, Gil wasn't just talking about how the wulfenbach was better than other rulers, but more focused on just how TERRIBLE the rule of others can be. Gil was listing Albia alongside those who hunt peasants for sport; Note that he did NOT list Paris even though the master is known to keep a tight grip on things within his city. Gil was clearly picturing Albia's power as something tyrannical in nature. Combine that with the use of the phrase "literally unthinkable" and you get the implication that Albia has some kind of control over her people's thoughts that prevent them from opposing her... Also while Gil was pretending to be a pirate he was also trying to convince Zola using "facts" and exaggerated tales are NOT facts.

Though frankly, it actually just makes me think their might have been some rewriting for Albia's character in the YEARS since Gil gave us that description. Perhaps the folgio's did originally intend for Albia to be much more tyrannical in how she controlled her kingdom even deploying a certain degree of mind manipulation, but they realized it made her sound too much like the Other and thus decided to scale her back.

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Seffie paid passage for herself and two others; Varpa could easily be the third.

incidentally i noticed that the previous page with seffie was recolored. As i recall, in that previous page Seffie's hair was colored a light brown, and I assumed she had dyed her hair, but now its back to normal.
    Last edited by slayerx; 2019-04-01 at 10:23 AM.

21. - Top - End - #711

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Though frankly, it actually just makes me think their might have been some rewriting for Albia's character in the YEARS since Gil gave us that description. Perhaps the folgio's did originally intend for Albia to be much more tyrannical in how she controlled her kingdom even deploying a certain degree of mind manipulation, but they realized it made her sound too much like the Other and thus decided to scale her back.
    Either that, or they decided that everyone in England being a slave to Albia's will restricted the story possibilities more than somewhat.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Either that, or they decided that everyone in England being a slave to Albia's will restricted the story possibilities more than somewhat.
    Or maybe that sparks are resistant to her power so they aren't controlled, but a majority of the population is.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

23. - Top - End - #713

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    incidentally i noticed that the previous page with seffie was recolored. As i recall, in that previous page Seffie's hair was colored a light brown, and I assumed she had dyed her hair, but now its back to normal.
    The Foglios and/or Cheyenne said that the original hair-color was a mistake; Cheyenne didn't realize that was Seffie.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Or maybe that sparks are resistant to her power so they aren't controlled, but a majority of the population is.
    I think that’s it. After all the Spark already protects against slaver wasps and it seems likely there is a connection between the Other(‘s tech) and the Queens.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

25. - Top - End - #715

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I think that’s it. After all the Spark already protects against slaver wasps and it seems likely there is a connection between the Other(‘s tech) and the Queens.
    Now THERE is a thought. Slaver tech is replicating albias control over the norms in her populace. Early versions created the revenants, then improved wasps created people who act totally normal until their queen gives a command.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

26. - Top - End - #716
    Titan in the Playground

Now THERE is a thought. Slaver tech is replicating albias control over the norms in her populace. Early versions created the revenants, then improved wasps created people who act totally normal until their queen gives a command.
    The shambling revenants aren’t older than the normal looking ones. They’re statistical outliers who appears when something goes wrong during the infestation. The normal looking revenants were thought to be newer because they hadn’t been discovered until that one scientist on Castle Wulfenbach but the majority of them were infected during the Other’s War.
    Forum Wisdom

27. - Top - End - #717

Yeah, shamblers seem to be something akin to having a serious allergic reaction to the insects.

Also, is anyone else gettingan Aldin vibe off of this guy? Someone who just wants a nice, quiet, humdrum existence but can't because of what he keeps getting dragged into?

28. - Top - End - #718
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    That is the general belief, but there was a slaver wasp developed to infect sparks (the Baron was hit with it).

If I recall correctly, the novels imply that not infecting sparks was a deliberate choice by The Other.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

29. - Top - End - #719
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    That is the general belief, but there was a slaver wasp developed to infect sparks (the Baron was hit with it).
    Yes I know and it wasn't developped by the Other. That is a recent invention and that perticular wasp is the only one of its kind as it is a prototype that's irrecuperable (unless someone manages to cut Klaus open,; good luck with that) and te plans are lost.

I don't know about the novels, but the comic certainly doesn't imply it was by choice that the sparks were spared.
    Forum Wisdom

30. - Top - End - #720
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

C'mon guys, this is mad science 101. Don't get so exited by the abomination of science you've created or summoned that you don't even try to keep it from eating you. Your efforts to stop that from happening are doomed to fail, but at least make an effort.

I swear, nobody ever reads the warning labels.
    Last edited by Ellen; 2019-04-02 at 11:06 PM.