New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PirateGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Elemental Plane of Purple
    Gender
    Female

    Default Niffler Conversion (a home brew from 5e to 3.5 with a link to the 5e), PEACH please

    So I was looking at the critters from Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and found this little gem:
    https://trulyoutofcharacter.wordpres...omment-page-1/

    I'm still not up on my 5e yet, so I decided to convert this to 3.5. I wish I had a contributor name for the Niffler. I couldn't find one on the site.

    I used the description of the Niffler from these sites as well: https://www.pottermore.com/book-extr...t-is-a-niffler and https://harrypotter.fandom.com/wiki/Niffler to be as accurate as possible.


    Although small and cute, the niffler can be quite destructive in its pursuit of sparkly things.

    Niffler
    Tiny Magical Beast
    Hit Dice:
    1d10+2 (7 hp)
    Initiative: +2 (+2 Dex)
    Speed: 20 ft..; Burrow 30 ft.
    Armor Class: 14 (+2 Dex, +2 Size), touch 14, flat-footed 12
    BAB/Grapple: +1/-9
    Attack: Bite + 5 melee (1d4-2)
    Full Attack: Bite + 5 melee (1d4-2)
    Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks:
    Special Qualities: Expansive pouch, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, overstuffed, treasure sense
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +1
    Abilities: Str 6, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 10
    Skills: Hide+12 (+14 underground), Spot + 5 (+7 to spot shiny objects and treasure)
    Feats: RunB Weapon Finesse)
    Environment: Any Temperate land
    Organization: Solitary, pair or family (2 adult nifflers and 6-8 young)
    Challenge Rating: 1/4
    Treasure: Triple Standard (coins and shiny objects only)
    Alignment: Always Neutral
    Advancement: 2-3 HD (Small)
    Level Adjustment:

    Combat

    Although gentle by nature and even affectionate towards their owners, nifflers can be destructive when looking for sparkly objects. If provoked, they have a nasty bite.

    A niffler is a rodent-like creature with a long snout similar to that of a platypus and has a coat of black, fluffy fur. They live in burrows as deep as twenty feet below ground, and produce six to eight young in a single litter. A niffler can burrow through dirt and rock quickly, making them difficult to catch.

    Nifflers have a pouch on their bellies which holds far more than seems possible, similar to a bag of holding.

    Expansive Pouch (Su): The niffler’s belly pouch is voluminous and can hold a surprising amount of stolen goods which the creatures will attempt to bring back to their nests. These pouches are able to contain up to 25 pounds of material taking up 3 feet by 3 feet worth of space.

    Overstuffed (Ex): Whenever a niffler takes damage, a number of valuables fall out of its pouch. Consult the table below to roll for a sample of what a niffler could have in its pouch. Once all its items have dropped, the pouch is empty. The niffler will have to steal more items to refill its pouch.

    Sample Random Niffler Treasure Drop Table
    Roll 1d10

    1. Between 8 and 12 gold coins spill out of the niffler’s pouch rolling in all directions.
    2. 3 gems worth 500 gold pieces each fall out of the niffler’s pouch.
    3. A solid gold bar falls out of the niffler’s pouch with a loud clatter. Any creature within 35 ft. that succeeds on a Listen check (DC 10) will hear the noise.
    4. Several very shiny but worthless buttons roll out of the niffler’s pouch.
    5. An animated golden bust of a very tired looking wizards falls out of the niffler’s pouch with a loud bang. The bust begins shouting at the niffler and anyone else it sees.
    6. A tiara and several small rings worth 25 gold pieces each fall out of the niffler’s pouch.
    7. A gaudy necklace worth 1,000 gp spills partway out of the niffler’s pouch; seeing this the little creature stops and tries to stuff the necklace back into its pouch.
    8. 1d12 silver coins fall out of the niffler’s pouch rolling in all directions.
    9. A crystal ball falls out the niffler’s pouch, unless caught it hits the ground and shatters.
    10. A set of small silver salt and pepper shakers made in the likeness of swans fall out of the niffler’s pouch and take flight.


    Treasure Sense (Ex): Nifflers sense the presence of material wealth with dragon-like precision within 30 feet. This ability functions as Scent, except it can detect only precious metals (copper, silver, electrum, gold, platinum and adamantine) and gems.

    Skills: A niffler has a +2 racial bonus on Spot checks to spot shiny objects and treasures. It also has a +2 racial bonus to Hide underground as their dark fur blends into the surroundings. A niffler can tunnel through dirt and rock but cannot charge or run while burrowing.


    NIFFLERS AS FAMILIARS
    Nifflers are easily distracted by shiny objects and are notorious kleptomaniacs when treasure is involved. As such, these do not make for ideal familiars. If you have the Improved Familiar feat, you may gain a niffler as a familiar. Master gains +3 on the Sleight of Hand checks.


    [edit] updated treasuresense.

    Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2019-02-07 at 12:50 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    nonsi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Niffler Conversion (a home brew from 5e to 3.5 with a link to the 5e), PEACH plea

    .

    Seems like BAB/Grapple values need your attention.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Vancouver <-> Dublin
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Niffler Conversion (a home brew from 5e to 3.5 with a link to the 5e), PEACH plea

    Adorable, though might need a clause specifying a limit to how much treasure it can produce (lest a munchkin repeatedly cast inflict/cure minor wounds on a captured niffler again and again to break WBL).

    Corrections
    Saves should be Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +1 (magical beasts have good Fort and Ref saves, before ability bonuses)

    Weapon Finesse need not specify the bite.

    Suggestions
    Bite should do 1d3 base damage, unless you want it to be exceptionally powerful for a creature that size.

    Grant it blindsight or blindsense, as it is a burrowing creature?

    Weapon Finesse could be granted as a bonus feat (see cats and similar small animals).

    I'd consider granting them Track as a bonus feat as well, a la dogs and wolves (so they can track treasure via scent, with a +4 racial bonus to Search or somesuch).

    Perhaps an option to select them as a familiar?
    Last edited by rferries; 2019-01-29 at 02:48 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PirateGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Elemental Plane of Purple
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Niffler Conversion (a home brew from 5e to 3.5 with a link to the 5e), PEACH plea

    Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    Adorable, though might need a clause specifying a limit to how much treasure it can produce (lest a munchkin repeatedly cast inflict/cure minor wounds on a captured niffler again and again to break WBL).
    Not necessary. Once it's dropped its items, its pouch is empty. It doesn't create treasure, it steals it. This chart just assumes the niffler has already stolen stuff and that is what is falling out when it takes damage.

    Corrections
    Saves should be Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +1 (magical beasts have good Fort and Ref saves, before ability bonuses)
    Will fix that as well.

    Weapon Finesse need not specify the bite
    Will fix that too.

    Suggestions
    Bite should do 1d3 base damage, unless you want it to be exceptionally powerful for a creature that size.[/quote]

    Yep. It's supposed to have a particularly nasty bite.

    Grant it blindsight or blindsense, as it is a burrowing creature?
    I don't think it's necessary as can see perfectly fine. it makes sense for other burrowing creatures since many have poor eyesight.

    Weapon Finesse could be granted as a bonus feat (see cats and similar small animals).
    I think Run is more important than weapon finesse for these creatures as they need to make quick getaways.


    I'd consider granting them Track as a bonus feat as well, a la dogs and wolves (so they can track treasure via scent, with a +4 racial bonus to Search or somesuch).
    Generally treasure isn't on the move. It's rarely necessary to track an immobile object.

    Perhaps an option to select them as a familiar?
    Is having a kleptomaniac familiar a good idea?

    Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Vancouver <-> Dublin
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Niffler Conversion (a home brew from 5e to 3.5 with a link to the 5e), PEACH plea

    All the edits seem quite comprehensive, excellent work as per usual. I had originally thought PCs might like them as familiars due to the free extradimensional storage space - or perhaps the familiar could "rent" the space in exchange for particularly shiny baubles.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Vancouver <-> Dublin
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Niffler Conversion (a home brew from 5e to 3.5 with a link to the 5e), PEACH plea

    Quote Originally Posted by cruzmax View Post
    in spite of the fact that may require a proviso determining a limit to how much fortune it can create (in case a munchkin over and again cast deliver/fix minor injuries on a caught niffler once more
    Reported as a bot - all this account does is rephrase other comments.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Vancouver <-> Dublin
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Niffler Conversion (a home brew from 5e to 3.5 with a link to the 5e), PEACH plea

    And I forgot to add that gold dragons have a "detect gems" ability you might like to incorporate too.
    Last edited by rferries; 2019-02-04 at 07:26 AM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PirateGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Elemental Plane of Purple
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Niffler Conversion (a home brew from 5e to 3.5 with a link to the 5e), PEACH plea

    Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    And I forgot to add that gold dragons have a "detect gems" ability you might like to incorporate too.
    I will fold it into treasuresense. I've decided to include other precious metals electrum (for people who still use that), platinum and adamantine as well as gems. Thanks for the suggestion.

    Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2019-02-07 at 12:51 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Niffler Conversion (a home brew from 5e to 3.5 with a link to the 5e), PEACH plea

    Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    So I was looking at the critters from Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and found this little gem:
    https://trulyoutofcharacter.wordpres...omment-page-1/

    I'm still not up on my 5e yet, so I decided to convert this to 3.5. I wish I had a contributor name for the Niffler. I couldn't find one on the site.

    I used the description of the Niffler from these sites as well: https://www.pottermore.com/book-extr...t-is-a-niffler and https://harrypotter.fandom.com/wiki/Niffler to be as accurate as possible.


    Although small and cute, the niffler can be quite destructive in its pursuit of sparkly things.

    Niffler
    Tiny Magical Beast
    Hit Dice:
    1d10+2 (7 hp)
    Initiative: +2 (+2 Dex)
    Speed: 20 ft..; Burrow 30 ft.
    Armor Class: 14 (+2 Dex, +2 Size), touch 14, flat-footed 12
    BAB/Grapple: +1/-9
    Attack: Bite + 5 melee (1d4-2)
    Full Attack: Bite + 5 melee (1d4-2)
    Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks:
    Special Qualities: Expansive pouch, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, overstuffed, treasure sense
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +1
    Abilities: Str 6, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 10
    Skills: Hide+12 (+14 underground), Spot + 5 (+7 to spot shiny objects and treasure)
    Feats: RunB Weapon Finesse)
    Environment: Any Temperate land
    Organization: Solitary, pair or family (2 adult nifflers and 6-8 young)
    Challenge Rating: 1/4
    Treasure: Triple Standard (coins and shiny objects only)
    Alignment: Always Neutral
    Advancement: 2-3 HD (Small)
    Level Adjustment:

    Combat

    Although gentle by nature and even affectionate towards their owners, nifflers can be destructive when looking for sparkly objects. If provoked, they have a nasty bite.

    A niffler is a rodent-like creature with a long snout similar to that of a platypus and has a coat of black, fluffy fur. They live in burrows as deep as twenty feet below ground, and produce six to eight young in a single litter. A niffler can burrow through dirt and rock quickly, making them difficult to catch.

    Nifflers have a pouch on their bellies which holds far more than seems possible, similar to a bag of holding.

    Expansive Pouch (Su): The niffler’s belly pouch is voluminous and can hold a surprising amount of stolen goods which the creatures will attempt to bring back to their nests. These pouches are able to contain up to 25 pounds of material taking up 3 feet by 3 feet worth of space.

    Overstuffed (Ex): Whenever a niffler takes damage, a number of valuables fall out of its pouch. Consult the table below to roll for a sample of what a niffler could have in its pouch. Once all its items have dropped, the pouch is empty. The niffler will have to steal more items to refill its pouch.

    Sample Random Niffler Treasure Drop Table
    Roll 1d10

    1. Between 8 and 12 gold coins spill out of the niffler’s pouch rolling in all directions.
    2. 3 gems worth 500 gold pieces each fall out of the niffler’s pouch.
    3. A solid gold bar falls out of the niffler’s pouch with a loud clatter. Any creature within 35 ft. that succeeds on a Listen check (DC 10) will hear the noise.
    4. Several very shiny but worthless buttons roll out of the niffler’s pouch.
    5. An animated golden bust of a very tired looking wizards falls out of the niffler’s pouch with a loud bang. The bust begins shouting at the niffler and anyone else it sees.
    6. A tiara and several small rings worth 25 gold pieces each fall out of the niffler’s pouch.
    7. A gaudy necklace worth 1,000 gp spills partway out of the niffler’s pouch; seeing this the little creature stops and tries to stuff the necklace back into its pouch.
    8. 1d12 silver coins fall out of the niffler’s pouch rolling in all directions.
    9. A crystal ball falls out the niffler’s pouch, unless caught it hits the ground and shatters.
    10. A set of small silver salt and pepper shakers made in the likeness of swans fall out of the niffler’s pouch and take flight.


    Treasure Sense (Ex): Nifflers sense the presence of material wealth with dragon-like precision within 30 feet. This ability functions as Scent, except it can detect only precious metals (copper, silver, electrum, gold, platinum and adamantine) and gems.

    Skills: A niffler has a +2 racial bonus on Spot checks to spot shiny objects and treasures. It also has a +2 racial bonus to Hide underground as their dark fur blends into the surroundings. A niffler can tunnel through dirt and rock but cannot charge or run while burrowing.


    NIFFLERS AS FAMILIARS
    Nifflers are easily distracted by shiny objects and are notorious kleptomaniacs when treasure is involved. As such, these do not make for ideal familiars. If you have the Improved Familiar feat, you may gain a niffler as a familiar. Master gains +3 on the Sleight of Hand checks.


    [edit] updated treasuresense.

    Debby
    Very fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Is having a kleptomaniac familiar a good idea?

    Debby
    If you qualify for a familiar, wisdom isn't usually your casting stat, so who cares if it is a good idea...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •