Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

Po actually is quickly shut up by Rem's response, emerging from his hiding spot with clasped hands. "N-No, that's not what I meant! No one's going to take in a rebel! I just...oh, we should have taken the magistrate's offer...." Having said that, he quickly shrinks away from the Golden Lord's rebuking glare. Even though you are not its target, you can feel the weight behind his ire. Po must be feeling very uncomfortable at this point.

Meanwhile, Ming simply rolls her eyes and focuses on what is most immediately important. "I agree with you there. It'll be no use for us if we win the next battle only to starve." She turns to look at the Golden Lord and his minions. "Didn't you say you had ways of feeding your people?"

The monks exchange glances for a moment, then speak up after their master gives them a quick nod. "We do, but they will not be enough on this scale. Neither can we increase our production without training a lot more disciples like us."

"Curses." Ming sighs, crossing her arms on the table. She thinks for a moment, dejectedly, then turns back to Rem. "How about your powers? Can you make plants grow? You have control over the skies, so..."

"There is a way." the Golden Lord interjects, taking his glare off Po for a moment to look at Starislav instead. "Long ago, during the days of the Shattering, I knew of some gods that shared your destructive capability. Yet, their power over annihilation was so strong that not only could they cause it, they could prevent it. If you were able to lift the worldly burden of hunger from our people, we would not need food, at least."

You note Ming actually looks a bit shocked at the suggestion. "What would that make us?" she asks, sounding uncertain.

The Golden Lord's answer is rather brisk. "Better. It would make you better."

At this point, surprisingly, Po once more lifts his head. "I-If you don't mind.....look, we're outside the Regency's power now, right? And no crime can happen in our lands without our permission, right?

We could let some other people who...don't agree with the Regency to pass through our lands in exchange for supplies. N-Not slavers or anything crazy like that! But there's smugglers and merchants who don't want to pay taxes and tolls! We'd even get things beyond just food and basic necessities! Weapons, and armor! If we can make it worth their while....you know....I'm sure some of Big Feet Zu's old network would be happy for the chance! J-Just not the slavers!"
    With that, he quickly ducks back down under the table, fully expecting more anger from everyone else.

Rem's personal investigation, without any greater use of her powers, will sadly not get very far. Perfected Woman Wen displayed incredible powers of stealth during her flight, and between the general chaos of the next days and the sheer mass of other escapees, you have no idea where she went. Nobody has even seen a woman matching her description. It almost makes you wonder where she gained those powers. Real Man Xiao certainly was no trickster like she was.

However, logically speaking, it seems almost like a given that she is still in Dulimbai. She works with the Sanwuzu, and will most likely return to a safe house of the assassin clan now that her mission is complete. By what you know, this will most certainly be in a larger city where they can blend in. Perhaps even Yizhao?

Starislav's efforts, meanwhile, are effective but slow. Much of his time is still taken up by maintenance on his crime-preventing curses. As such, he is more likely to produce a mere ragtag bunch of rabble than an elite group of warriors. Were he to finally make his curses self-sufficient with the power he's amassed lately, however, he may have time to build quite a large number of these ex-criminals into a force to be reckoned with. Who knows, perhaps they could even be infused with some of his own power?
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2020-08-31 at 11:22 AM.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Troll in the Playground

To remove hunger from the people...

"... to be quite honest, I had not expected that approach from you, Golden Lord," Rem speaks politely. "I would have thought hunger was a part of living, and labouring to grow nourishment and eat to be part of that selfsame cycle. Though I suppose to have endured so much that you can ignore pain, ignoring hunger would be another form of the Unfettered Will, would it?"

She looks to Ming, and says, "My dominion is that of the sun and sky, both essential elements of growing plants. Though I have no particular power over the land, both sunlight and rain are essential to agriculture. Perhaps that would be enough?"

Rem thinks on that for a moment. Could she manipulate the fields enough, with those two?

She doesn't speak in return to Po's suggestion quite yet. Mercantilism and the ideas of the free market are not her domain, and to be quite honest, she's often suspicious of the merchant class...

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

"Ending the need for food? This would change things. Om such 3xtreme.decisions I will trust our angel- even if I could do such a thing."
    Pause.
    'Though, this idea will make the people more closer to.the monstrouse dolls which have took over my motherland.'
    Starislav how ever pat Po's back."this sound reasonable to me. We cqn set some rules wnd fix problems on the way.'
    Thanks for the OOTSkage of OOTS art, Lord Raziere.

------
    My previouse Avater

Bazzilion legions of thanks to his highness Emperor Ing for the awesome avatar!

Who want to join some freeform Naruto Rp?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ound-ITP-OOC-1

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

The Golden Lord clears his throats with an unconvinced grunt in response to your objections. "Do not misunderstand me. The Unfettered Will does not deny the limitations of our earthly bodies. It seeks to overcome them. This is but a mere stopgap for the weaker adherents of our pantheon. In the ancient days of the Akeh, we used to think nothing strange of modifying our bodies to better suit our ideals." For you, it's all ancient history, but the Akeh were indeed the ancient people who lived during the days of the Shattering, and whose descendants now live in Patria, the Oasis States, Vissio, and even distant Ancalia. True enough, all of these nations do still have a heritage of transhumanist body modifications, though nowadays what little technology remains is hoarded and barely functional. "I don't plan to turn them into machines, if you fear that. Corrupting the minds of his people has always been the domain of that heretical invader, the True King, and his followers."

Ming meanwhile, offers some insight on the idea that she seems to support. "W-Well...if you can't make the plants grow directly, you could still probably create perfect conditions for their growth and an early harvest! If you can make it rain outside of the rain season, that would be incredible! We should easily be able to get enough food to get by if we do that. Or, we could actually go with Po's idea. For once, he's not being an idiot."

That praise, combined with the pat from Starislav, actually makes the former criminal smile a little. "Eheh...it's just something I thought of. And yes, we have all the power here! We can set the rules! And....you can enforce them, right? You're gods! You already put down that weird curse, so why not do another? We don't even need to set any guards on it."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sorry for the late answer, everyone. These last few days got a bit busy, and I ended up feeling a bit too drained to give a proper response each time. This is just barely within the time limit that I set myself, but I'll still try and get back to a more regular speed.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2020-09-05 at 12:34 PM.
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Troll in the Playground

Rem nods slowly at the Golden Lord's explanation, rubbing her chin. "I understand. I think I would like to begin with the land itself, however. Starislav and I may not stay here forever, so I want to make the people here more self-sufficient, and enable that."

She listens to Ming as well, nodding. "Rain should not be a problem, as I command the Sky. And, I understand, Po. I surely would not wat Gongfang and the surrounding lands to become an isolated garden; we will need to open trade and let people move in and out, eventually. If we increase the production from the lands, we will be at a better position to provide exports too..."

Show
    So I think my Dominion will be pushed towards enhancing the field of crops around the city, using miracles of Sky and possibly Sun?

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

For once, the Golden Lord simply shrugs, seemingly having no strong opinion on the matter one way or the other. "Suit yourself. It will be less effective, ultimately, but should also be easier to implement." His expression otherwise stays neutral, occasionally glancing to Starislav to see whether he has something to say still.

Po does not give you an answer of his own, but he imitates Rem's nodding in a sheepish show of agreement. A nervous smile graces his face, celebrating that he did something useful.

Show
    Enhancing the crops, I would say, is an Improbable change on a City Scale. The total cost would come in at 4 Dominion. You will not have to spend your Celestial Shard on it, as the effort just isn't grand enough to require it.

Meanwhile, Ming loses a relieved sigh. Her shoulders slump down just slightly as she relaxes, before she steels her expression and turns back to the rest of the table. "I guess that's that, then. Unless Starislav has any more ideas." She pauses to allow the bogatyr a moment to speak, before putting a hand under the table.

"In that case, let's figure out what we'll do about Yizhao." From below, she pulls up a scroll of parchment, quickly opening it up on the table for everyone to see. A fresh, and rather detailed map of northern Dulimbai unfolds before you, marked with stamps of the Regency. "This is one of Li's maps, and a pretty recent one at that. It's got all the major landmarks and settlements, as far as we know." Just a tiny bit of uncertainty slips into Ming's words. She's no scholar, ultimately, and can only relay what she has been told in this regard.

On the map, you see about what you suspected. On the southern end, just below Gongfang is the wide Dahuang River, seperating you from the rest of Dulimbai. To the north, some distance away is the border to Raktia, with several odd markers increasing in frequency the closer you get to it. "These indicate areas with frequent monster attacks from the Black Academies. The Regency tries to stay away from them." To the west, the land tapers off into low hill-lands, eventually ending where the Dahuang River flows into Lake Nemia, a natural dividing border to Patriah. Finally, to the east, the map terminates in the vast Shoushan mountain range. At the base of these mountains, spanning both banks of the Dahuang River, is the walled city of Yizhao.

"We're in a good position, luckily. They can't attack us easily from the south because of the river. And there's only a few roads leading here." She points at the sparse amount of pathways connecting settlements on the map. Indeed, there's not much in the way of infrastructure this far out on the edge of an empire. "Aside from the main road between here and Yizhao, there's only one or two other paths they could take, and that'd mean they'd have to take the long way around."

"That means they won't. Without a divinely gifted leader, an army is restricted by their logistics. They'll take the shortest path possible."

"Y-Yes. That sounds about right. Besides, we're all walled from all directions except the south, so it's not like they can ambush us in particular."
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2020-09-08 at 07:50 AM.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Starislav was statisfied with the managment decisions.
    Now.. as for the war.

'Can we allow ourselvs to assume they don't k'ave such a leader?'

------
    My previouse Avater

8. - Top - End - #428
    Troll in the Playground

Rem rubs her chin for a moment, then something comes to her as she smiles and looks to Starislav. "Why don't we force them to go through the long way, then? We curse the main roads and make it impossible or extremely difficult to go through, like making it a maze?"

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, I can riddle it with pits and k'holes.' Starislav offer.
    "Major inconvience for moving large groups'

------
    My previouse Avater

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ettin in the Playground

The other look nervously at each other after Starislav's first question. Eventually, Po scratches the back of his head and admits "We, uh, don't know." As he avoids your eyes, Ming speaks up to finish the thought. "As far as everyone knows, Yizhao's forces are led by Governor Jiang of the Wu family. He's a capable war veteran, with several thousand men under his command, and a good thousand more Toban mercenaries. Nobody's said anything about any kind of magical skill or divinely-inspired strategies. There's only one man like that in the Regency, and he fights on the front lines against Patria."

She pauses for a moment, then her eyes suddenly widen as though she remembered something. "R-Right! One of the Yizhao Six is a dark sorcerer, with great skill in forbidden taoist arts. The local taoists all know about him, and say that despite his sinister nature he is fearsomely skilled. Another is a Raktian Curse-Eater, one of those warrior mages. They say he has more scars from the monsters he's slain than you can count! But, we don't think they have any more magic than that....other than Red Typhoon, but he is no leader."

Should you turn to the Golden Lord with questions, his answer will be short. "I've no idea whether any of this is accurate. A thousand years have passed since these lands were my home. The magistrate could confirm some of this, but I don't trust that weasel for one moment.

Your idea of obstructing their path has merit. It's a shame that we'll have to spend resources on it, however. If we had a capable theurgist on our side, perhaps we could have rewired the illusions of Real Man Xiao's monastery."
    Even as he grumbles about the downsides of it all, both Ming and Po nod their approval.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

'I don't think they will take our uprising lightly.' Starislav shake his head to Ming.
    'It's better to be prepared for the worst, just to be laughed it, rather, then k'hope for the best, and fall by the worst.'
    he nod to the Golden Lord.
    You can train warriors, I'll make the invaders's live k'hard. It's the best idea, I can muster'

------
    My previouse Avater

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground

A faint smile graces Ming's lips at hearing Starislav's concern. "And thank you for it, Bogatyr Starislav. You really are-" She pauses suddenly, then clears her throat. "Well, I know you are not one for flattery. Let us save such talk for later."

"I agree." The Golden Lord interjects, rolling his eyes. "If you don't mind, Starislav, just placing traps along the road shouldn't require too much of your attention. I've seen how tirelessly you work. Redirect some of power you've gained from your followers to me, and I will train a force of warrior monks to be reckoned with."

Show
    Placing traps along the road is, I'd say about big enough to be a City scale project, but also mostly Plausible for Starislav to do, even if the locals would object. As such, it'd come down to 2 Dominion or Influence. Cursing the road to repel attackers, I'd say, is the same scale, but makes it Implausible, just like the anti-bandit curse. That would cost 4 Dominion or Influence.

Teaching the martial arts techniques of the Golden Lord's monks to your followers is only an Improbable change. If you want a village's worth of these elite warriors, that'd be 2 Dominion or Influence. If you want just about everyone in Gongfang to have that sort of training, that'd be 4 Dominion or Influence. They wouldn't be quite as strong as the monks themselves, owing to the lack of time for training them and the sheer amount, but would still be able to entirely ignore pain, live through wounds that would fell others, and be incredibly dangerous in unarmed, unarmored combat.

As a momentary silence falls over the situation, Po raises his hand to indicate he wants to speak up. No matter what, he does so anyways on his own after but a moment's wait. "I, um, should probably tell you about the rest of the Yizhao Six, right?" His eyes stare hesitantly into the ground, earning him a scolding from one of the monks.

"Just say what have to say!"

"Uh, right!" Po stumbles about in place for a moment, a rather impressive feat given his sitting position, then puts his hands down on the table and begins to talk. "So, there's the sorcerer and the curse eater. You've already heard about those. And you also know about Red Typhoon. Of all of them, he's the most dangerous one. The only one who could match you in a fight on his own."

For a moment, he stops and counts on his fingers, continuing once he is certain that he's up to three. "Well, there's also Big Ping. She's a massive Toban archer, tall as a mountain! And with her blessed bow, she can shoot out a fly's eye from a mile away. I'm not kidding about that, either, my cousin saw her do that once!" Once more, he stops and waits for his story's impact to linger. Seeing that at least some of the gathered people look less than impressed, he gulps and quickly continues talking.

"Y-You've also got the Seamstress. Nobody knows who she really is, but they say she's an assassin that can be anywhere, at any time. Real spooky stuff.

And then, there's Shining Zu. He's the leader of the group, or so they say. He's a real exemplar of Dulimbaian martial arts, and can kill just about anyone in just a single sword stroke! Well, probably not you, though. More just, regular people. But he's still pretty good with his sword!"

13. - Top - End - #433
    Troll in the Playground

"I'd think a curse would be better, myself..." Rem offers her opinion, looking at the other folks. "A curse we can remove, but traps leave the risk of leaving the road scarred for the innocent for longer."

A pause, as she gestures, "And since they have a sorcerer on their side, a curse is more likely to force him to expend his own powers and leave him more exhausted. The less rested the most formidable of our foes are, the better we will be."

Po explains about the other three. They certainly have numbers on them, don't they? "Once, we relied on curse eaters to protect us, when I was little. Ironic that I should have to face one," Rem murmurs.

"But... Po, do you think the governor would send all six? Would he not leave some of his heroes to defend him back in Yizhao?"

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ettin in the Playground

A mutter of agreement goes through the room as Rem explains why she prefers a curse. It seems like everybody agrees with that course of action, even if it will end up taking a bit more power than mundane traps. It's a good thing you still have that Celestial shard.

"M-Maybe?" Po admits, staring off into the distance as he attempts to think. "Y-Yes, I guess that would make sense."

As your ally stammers and tries to come up with an answer, the Golden Lord gives you one of his rare smiles. "You make a good point, Lady Rem. Likewise, he cannot bring all of his soldiers here when he must leave some behind to guard the city and its surrounding lands. We are but one threat to Dulimbai, after all."

"No, it's not that simple." Ming speaks up again, her voice reluctant but firm.

"And what do you mean by that?" the Golden Lord questions her, his voice sharpened ever so slightly.

"Yizhao has its own protection. It might have been built after your time, so you would not know, but the city surrounds an ancient altar of the True King. One of the few in Dulimbai that still function, in fact. It protects them from hostile magic and divine power, even to this day."

With a sudden outburst of rage, the Golden Lord slams his fist down on the table, cracking its surface. "They still have one of those death machines?!" For a moment, he gets up on his feet, looking like he is about to leave the room. Then, he takes a deep breath, instead opting to walk a few paces across the room instead. When this is not enough, he rears his head back, roars, and punches the wall. With a sigh, he turns back to you. "Once the governor is defeated, I must destroy this shrine. It must be burned to the ground!"

As the ancient warrior stews, Ming turns to you, whispering. "I fear I understand his anger. The altar protects Yizhao by transforming anything that doesn't fit its idea of harmonious Ren society. Sometimes, that also includes people. It protects them from the Black Academies of the North, but at a great sacrifice. Just like how the Black Academies were supposed to protect Raktia from us, I suppose. It seems we will both be fighting our guardians at some point.

Either way, it is possible that we will face all six of Yizhao's greatest."

15. - Top - End - #435
    Troll in the Playground

"I see... that is unfortunate," Rem tilts her head, composing herself as the Golden Lord goes on one of his outbursts. It's honestly more understandable - she wouldn't stand for such a thing herself. "I feel that the best way for us to proceed would be to divide and conquer our opponents - it would be most difficult for us to face all six of them at once. With the curse, we could possibly catch them unguarded, one at a time."

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Starislav nod.
    'Wise plan. I'll curse and damn the road, and we will lead them where the battle arena favor us. Do we know anything about those six?'

------
    My previouse Avater

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ettin in the Playground

Po slowly crawls towards you from his end of the table, doing his best to stay quiet and out of the Golden Lord's sight. "There's a few good spots on the northern roads, in the forests and a couple of the villages." he whispers to you, then looks down guiltily as Ming throws him a questioning glance. "Well, t-they were great spots for ambushing merchants and travellers. The same should go for an army, right?"

For a moment, Ming looks like she is about to object, then she just silently shakes her head. "I hate it when you've got a point. Unless the Six travel seperate from the army, however, it'll be tough to really catch them unguarded. Although...." She hesitates shortly, looking aside as she thinks. "Big Ping and the sorcerer are known to be a pair of drunkards. That might help. And Red Typhoon, of course, is absolutely insane. He's convinved he is a god, and they only call him out of his shrine to kill bigger threats than himself."
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2020-09-22 at 11:30 AM.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

"Maybe I'l have time to train my wretched guard to k'help.' Starislav offer.
    "This would be a tough battle.'

------
    My previouse Avater

19. - Top - End - #439
    Troll in the Playground

"This will not be a battle we win for our own sake, but for the people too. I will see what I can do on my end," Rem expresses.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ettin in the Playground

With your plan mostly worked out, your discussion slowly starts to wind down. With everyone mostly satisfied at your intended course of action, you eventually retire for the day, eager to get some amount of sleep before beginning the vital task of governing Gongfang the next morning. At least, Rem does, as Starislav has more than enough vitality to simply avoid sleep. It's all the better, for he has much to do, and little time to do it.

The next two weeks that follow are busy. Not only do you have to handle all the minor tasks and responsibilities of keeping together a freshly conquered town. You also spend nigh every moment of your free time working your divine will and enacting your plans, leaving you not a moment's rest. There is not a second where you are not channeling the faith of your followers, putting in place the mystical constructs and enchantments that will ensure your will, or treating with the common folk. It is a both mentally and physically exhausting ordeal that would have ravaged you were it not for your divine powers.

Thankfully, it does pay dividends. Backed by no small amount of divine charisma and the considerable wealth confiscated from Big Feet Zu, Rem makes the deals she needs to. Through contacts of both Po and other people in Gongfang, she reaches out to merchants both semi-legal and black market, quickly ensuring a continuation of the town's vital position as a trading hub. While not as popular as it was before, it is still bolstered by an influx of illegal trade that could have not happened without your help.

Even better, these same contacts allow you to get your hands on something that Gongfang would have been missing otherwise: Shipments of weapons and armors. They're not of the greatest quality, consisting of illegally sold surplus, scavenged arms and old adventuring gear. But even so, they are solid and plentiful, better than anything you could have made on short order and enough to equip most of your warriors. There's even one or two weak magic weapons in there, and a few hardened Bright Repblic rifles. Not a bad haul, all considered.

The rest of her energy goes towards improving the climate of the region, creating the right temperatures and weather to guarantee an early harvest. It's not easy, balancing these chances so that they do not destroy the local ecosystem, and especially to do so in a permanent and self-sustaining way. It takes seeking out local places of power, building mystical catalysts, and a lot of working together with the farmers of Dulimbai. But Rem is a goddess of the sun and sky, and so, she eventually succeeds. She creates a far improved cycle of seasons within this small region, guaranteeing them plenty of healthy harvests for many generations to come at least. The first one of these, happening only a few days after she is done, being perhaps the most important of all, as it brings you some much needed reserves of food for these perilous times.

Starislav, if anything, is even busier, working day and night to ensure all that needs to be done. During the day, he drills and trains regiment after regiment of soldiers, instilling them with all the combat knowledge and discipline a bogatyr has to offer. They're still common people, of course, and some take to the training better than others, but he accomplishes within days what proper militaries would need months to do. Combined with the arms provided by Rem, slowly the people of Gongfang are becoming a force to be reckoned with.

At night, he travels and roams about, weaving curses and leaving mystical markings and artifices where they are needed. Slowly, he strengthens the power of his enchantments on this land, bolstering them to be self-sustaining and broadening them to protect the road from Yizhao. It takes much of his energy, draining most of his resources. Even then, he can only fulfill his work by crushing the celestial shard he has taken from Big Feet Zu, crushing the jade amulet within his grasp and absorbing its latent energy. Yet when he is done, Gongfang is more secure than ever.

It does not end there, however. Focusing particularely on the criminals who once served Big Feet Zu, Starislav manages to whip them into an elite squadron of soldiers, capable of going toe to toe with any foes eager to learn their mettle. Equipped with some of your best weapons and armor, they are a force to be reckoned with, and certainly worthy of a name.
    And finally, Starislav creates one final minion entirely on his own. Perhaps he transforms a mortal he particularly likes. Perhaps he simply creates them from nothing. But with his final bit of divine power, he makes one minion capable of more than any mere human. This one will be able to serve as powerful lieutenant, or capable assassin as you wish. He's certainly as good as any one of the Golden Lord's monks.

Then, finally, after a strenuous two weeks of work and constant vigilance for signs of an approaching army, you set out, ready to ambush Governor Jiang en-route to Gongfang. You take with you what forces you feel comfortable taking, both to leave your people well-defended and to move stealthily. The Golden Lord stays behind with Ming and Po, ready, to defend the town in your stead should anything happen. "Should any other villains consider us easy pickings, I will teach them a lesson."

Your forces as you set out are as follows: One large mob of common, trained soldiers. In total they are about 400 men and women of Gongfang, loyal to you and desperate to defend their homes. One small mob of elite prisoner warriors that have been trained by Starislav. They are disciplined and powerful and well equipped. Starislav's newly created minion is also among them, perfectly loyal and with unbreakable morale. And finally, you have also brought two of the Golden Lord's monks with you. They are as strong as ever, and will surely fight to the death if needed.

Should you wish to bring more than this, of course, you'll have brought them. After all, you knew the odds going in.

Show
    Seriously, if you want more than this, say who or what else you want to bring. I'll still allow it at this point.

And odds they are indeed. You have chosen to ambush the Governor's army nearby a large forest patch far north of the Dahuang river. It's an easy enough spot to ambush them at, as they have to pass through if they want to get to Gongfang without marching through Raktian territory, and the trees will provide you with plenty of cover to approach from.

Luckily, it seems as though indeed your plan has worked out. After two days of apprehensive waiting, your scouts report the news that you have been waiting for. The army of the Governor has arrived, and settle in for a rest a short distance from the forest's border. There still is plenty of daylight left, but it seems that they want to wait out the night and cross the woods in one go on the next day. Already they are setting up tents and posting guards, leaving their camp well protected.

Your scouts cannot say much about having seen the Governor or any of the Yizhao six, but they give you a worrying estimate of their numbers. From the sounds of it, its at least a thousand men, probably more. You didn't expect any less, yet it is still dangerous nonetheless. Whether you and your followers will see this day through, you realize, is now up to you and your course of action.

Show
    Alright then! Feel free to approach this however you want. If you have any further questions, go ahead and ask them.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Troll in the Playground

The deals aren't necessarily deals Rem is wholly eager to make - but she understands enough that there are those virtuous that must go around the law, when the law has rotted; by the time she's done, she's settled enough of the trade routes to sort Gongfang out, at least in the short term.

She wonders for a moment if she ever would've considered herself one to be dealing with arms, but that's the reality of assisting a rebellion - this must happen. She makes a note of the rifles for later...

But that winds up being little compared to the effort she has to put in to actually... change the land, speaking with the locals first and foremost as they have the most understanding and respect of the land itself. She can shift the sky and the sun, but the land itself she has little dominion over - and most importantly, one that she has to ensure won't overwhelm the farmers with their tasks either. A rapid harvest is of little use if it can't be gathered without breaking their backs, after all.

But the day has come, and Rem has to play the role of tactician once more.

"Our four hundred, against their thousand. It is grim business, but this is exactly what I must do now."

Rem explains the plan:

The first phase is long-range harrassment and planning, where she and Starislav will harrass them with any powers at their disposal - Rem plans to use a miracle of Sky to bring forth a deluge of rain to turn ground to mud and make their camp unbearably soggy, hopefully damaging their supplies and morale.

She'll also check aerially whether the enemy has any capability to scout for their location too.

While this goes on, the troops will be preparing traps in the forest - pits, tripwire, and other kinds of weapons craftable from the wood itself.

The second phase will begin when the army decides to march - assuming they don't retreat. The army of 400 will split into two flanks, evenly led by Starislav's elite soldiers, the monks and also the minion assisting; when the army arrives to the traps, they'll attack them on both sides.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ettin in the Playground

As Rem commands, your soldiers start spreading out into the woods, preparing traps and pitfalls for the Governor's army. They are eager and enthusiastic to get to work, though most of them have no experience or training at setting traps for anything larger than a rabbit. What they put together are mainly shallow spiked pits, weak snares, and taut ropes for your enemies to stumble over. Still, it will be good enough to at least inconvenience them and give you an edge, if not kill a few of them.

Show
    I'll assume your troops prepared these traps in the 2 days that you waited for the army to show up.

Then, on the day that the army arrives, Rem calls upon her power to once more view the world from the skies. With the land below laid plain before her, she is easily able to pick out the shapes and outlines of several enemy scout groups, moving away from the main forces. They are small, roughly five men each, but they are lightly armored and move fast.

There are quite a few of them moving out, and you note three of them heading for the forest. Depending on how deep they go, they may come across some of your patrols or encampments. And even if not that, they're still likely to encounter some of your traps.

From what you can tell, the individual are spreading out quite a bit. You doubt you could move quickly enough without flying to take them down in one fell swoop on your own.

Otherwise, everything that Rem sees pretty much confirms the reports of her scouts. At least a thousand men, with guards and patrols and quality armaments. Several large barrack and officers' tents have been set up, with no real way to look inside and figure out who is in which. In fact, the amount of tents seems a little excessive. You doubt they can have this many people resting at once, or leaders to keep protected from the sun.

Show
    Alright, ended up writing this post a little later than expected. Wanted to get it up yesterday, but other issues got in the way. Hopefully, this should still leave space for Igor to describe his super soldier and get himself involved in the proceedings.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Troll in the Playground

It will have to do - they aren't expert guerilla soldiers; the traps will give what edge they can, and every advantage must count.

When the army arrives, Rem nods as she sets out to do her task; she leaves the handling of the scouts to Starislav and those laying behind, choosing to focus on her efforts to stymie the army--

Namely, the Miracle of Sky.

The angel perches against the side of the mountain and raises both her arms, focusing her power. Here's hoping I have as much command as I did with the fields.

Slowly, but surely, she channels her power, and thick roiling clouds cross over the sky, surely the herald of an ominous portent. From there, she seeks to spill as much rain as she possibly can muster, within that mote of effort she expends; heavy and battering rain, coming in at a sharp angle enough to sting the face and sink deep into the land and turn it soft and muddy -- deeply unpleasant for tents and barracks, not to mention any soldiers unfortunate enough to be outside on duty.

Show
    Spending one effort for that Miracle!

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Before the battle, Starislav has gathered his men, and translated to the best of his ability, an ancient bogatyr war song to rise their spriits-
    The 'Pit Dragon Warriors' aren't nice to look at. Mutated, body corrupted as their souls were from the inside, but at least willing to give their all for their mother city.
    scales,here and there, black and oily, staining hands with strange grease at touch. Some devolped curved and viciouse wings, other devolped second draconic face on their throat or the back of their heads.
    Claws, tails. Demonic warriors... but with a bogatyr spirit, gathered to chant alongside their leader. He just replaced Nedzuvna with Gongfang mostly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol45...BA%D0%BE%D0%B2
    -----
    Spoiler: Lyrics
    Show

Hey, what are we sitting down for brothers,
    Isn't it time for us to get moving?
    Young Gongfang with your immeasurable strength,
    Give me a good sword and a k'horse!

We will raise an army and pursue the enemy,
    Young Russia, so dear to my heart,
    It is not for us to sit in our huts,
    Give me a good sword and a horse!

There were brothers long ago
    Evil, warring forces came (note no.2)
    We didn't know them, we didn't expect them
    We were living, loving and having children

There were an enormous number of them (note no.3)
    Russia had never seen so many enemy soldiers,

The houses of the rich and poor were in flames, (note no.4)
    The women cried for their young men,
    And the men, brother for brother, (note no.5)
    Went to fight for their Homeland

Young Russia, so close to my heart,

Young Russia, with your immeasurable strength,

Our villages suffered,
    There was a lot of wild sword-slashing,

Hey, doesn't a real Russian army
    Stand up for Mother-Russia?
    They put them to the sword, decimated the enemy
    And were victorious over the evil thieves. (note no.6)

And the blue sky shone upon us,
    A full cup of peace, yes real peace,
    But he who threatens us with war...

Young Russia, with immeasurable strength,

And the blue sky shone upon us,
    A full cup of peace and tranquility
    And to he who threatens us with war...

Young Russia, with immeasurable strength,

Give me a good sword and a horse! (X2)

Darkness comes, but the light of truth also shines.
    He who loves his brother, lives in the light.
    He who hates his brother, lives in the darkness
    And He has testified to us that he is a loving God
    You should love your brother, love knows no fear
    He who lives with love, lives in God
    And God in him, because God is love
    https://lyricstranslate.com/en/russk...ian-horde.html

Starislav split his force into three-
    the smallest unit with his quickest soldiers scouting ahead.

Another unit wait in ready, to join and surprise.

And the main unit support the bulk of the army.

Starislav hope the rain confuse the enemy enough, to use it for a surprise charge from the air.

------
    My previouse Avater

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ettin in the Playground

As Lady Rem commands, so does it happen. The sky blackens, filling with dark clouds, and then a deluge of rain floods the land below. Though localized, the water within moments starts to inundate the area, making the ground into a devouring bog and reducing visibility by far.

Instantly, the governor's encampment erupts in a hustle of activity, as supplies are carried to safety and soldiers grab shovels to dig trenches with. There's no doubt these men know how to deal with extremes of weather, yet still there is an initial lack of coordination and sense of panic to their first movements. The sudden onset of this rain, in the middle of dry season no less, has caught them off-guard. Yet, you understand that you should act quickly on this situation, as these natives of Dulimbai will certainly be tipped off that something supernatural is at play.

The scouting groups, whether convinced of foul play or dissuaded from their efforts by the bad circumstances, one by one turn to head back, those in the forest first of all.

Two of them still don't make it.

Starislav's Pit Dragon Warriors catch up to one unit before too long, having studied the terrain well in advance and being prepared for the sudden rainfall. With great skill and speed they surround the scouts, bows and spears at the ready, before trapping them in a deadly pincer attack. With one hail of arrows, their morale is broken, and the shocked remnants are easy pickings for the ambushing force. Their duty done, and with no losses on their, the Warriors gather patiently at the edges of the forest, their low, chanting hymn breaking the silence.

As for the other unit, it is time for the Bogatyr himself to shine. Guided by Rem's directions and his own instincts, he tracks down the scouts atop his mighty steed, and barges into their midst with a roar. It is no battle, not really. His enemies may struggle in vain for a good few moments, but he is a god. There is nothing they can do against him. By the the time he tosses the last man through a tree, he's barely even been nicked by their spears.

Yet, as the enemy army gathers its full strength once more, you note that they do not seem to be in hurry to move out. They place guards and archers among the barricades at the edges of their camp, and ready their weapons, yet don't dare to take the first move. It's difficult to tell just what is going on amongst their ranks, given the many tents they have, yet it almost seems like they're waiting for you to make the first move.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

Starislav use simple tactic, breaking the main force into two, send them to go around, and find a way to attack from the sides.

He and his squad will charge, and try to shock them, not letting them to reorganize.

------
    My previouse Avater

27. - Top - End - #447
    Troll in the Playground

Rem can't help but be a little impressed - they're used to the extremes of weather, are they? Still, used to or not, she can only hope that this will help turn things to their favour.

They need to act fast, and Starislav has taken charge as he splits their army into two; she focuses her power next on protecting his unit, as they're likely to be most exposed by the arrows.

She gathers the power of Sky, and intensifies that storm of hers -- such that arrows may be lost in the winds and rain and not strike true.

Show
    I'm not sure if I'm still doing the same Miracle or have to expend another Effort here?

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ettin in the Playground

Slow but steady, your rebels inch ever closer to the army encampment, each part of your forces doing their best to maneuver this still enemy into a deadly pincer attack. Even now, they do little to respond to your approach, seemingly relying on their barricades and whatever lies in store beneath those tents. Approaching, you note the soldiers apprehensively lowering their bows, realizing that their ranged weapons are of no use here. Some among them, men and women with armors of Toban design, glare at you from the backs of their horses. You have neutralized their two greatest assets, their archery and the swiftness of their steeds.

Then, as Starislav's vanguard comes within a short distance of the camp, and the encircling force has almost gotten into position, the bogatyr and his mighty Pit Dragon Warriors charge. In a frenzy, your rebels follow, running across the moody terrain as well as they can. The government soldiers brace, lifting spears and shields as you approach their defensive wall, a cohesive force ready to take whatever you may throw at them.

And then, all hell breaks loose.

A scream, no, a roar erupts into the air, audible even among the rain and thunder, making the ground shake with foreboding force.

"BAAAAARAAAAARIAAAANS!!!"

Something shoots out from underneath the tents, a massive red blur of motion the size of a horse. It cuts through the ranks of soldiers in front of it, tossing aside three mangled bodies before its feet touch the ground again, and you finally get a good look at it.

"DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOONS!!!!!"

If one were to be charitable, one could call this being a Dulimbaian man, though he looks more like a cruel parody of one. A vast form of bulging veins and muscles, barely fitting inside a suit of crimson-painted steel plates, his form towers above even the likes of Starislav or the Golden Lord. He carries a massive, blood-stained halberd with one hand, the other twitching as if in readiness to squeeze the life out of you, and his eyes glare wildly with an inner fire behind them. The sheer bloodlust of this man hits you with almost physical force, as you involuntarily find yourself hesitating for just one second.

There's not doubt about it. This is the governor's trump card. Red Typhoon.

Rain dripping down on his shaggy, greasy hair, he lifts up his weapon and points at Starislav. "DIE FOR ME!" he shouts, the sound of his voice cracking the earth around him and causing the grass to wilt. Then, he rushes forward, winding up for an attack that you're sure won't just hurt Starislav, but anyone standing near him. Already, you can feel the divine force behind it.

That all is not to say that he is the only threat, however. As your forces slowly begin to clash, doing what they can to get past the better positioned soldiers, Rem notes several other dangerous looking individuals among the enemy ranks. With Starislav attacking the camp's western side, the rebels he's put aside for the pincer attack have split to approach the northern and southern sides at once.

On the southern side, a ragged-looking man in robe-covered chain mail peaks out from the tents, gesticulating oddly and screaming something. She's not quite sure what it all means, but she feels a sort of energy building up from him, similar to her own powers of weather control but far weaker. With him is a tall, broad-shouldered Woman in Toban armor. Despite the rain, she is the only one still having her bow at the ready, its beautifully carved shape and the numerous talismans hanging from it giving the impression that there is a reason for it. Somehow, you get the feeling she must be Big Ping.

On the northern side, another singular warrior has emerged. Dressed in only the robes of a common official, and wielding an ornate, engraved straight sword at his side, he stands at the ready behind his soldiers, an oddly calm figure in the sea of warfare below. Rem doesn't feel any particular god-like strength from him, but if you've learned anything from your encounter with Real Man Xiao, it's that looks can be deceiving sometimes.

Show
    Aaaand combat has started! As is usual in Godbound, you get to go first, allowing you to immediately react to the circumstances and start the battle in your favor. Which is a good thing, cause there is a lot to do.

I'll keep the individual clashing armies mostly as a background thing as both sides struggle with one another, though you will still take a lot of attacks from the Vast Mob of Soldiers each turn unless you somehow get them off your backs.

Anyways, go kick some butt. The stage is yours.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Troll in the Playground

With but a thought, Rem's aura erupts like a shining sun as she brings the brilliance of light into her body; she draws a sword of light from out of thin air as she aids the push, remaining with the army. The presence of Red Typhoon is certainly concerning, but she has no hesitation that Starislav will keep him engaged while she does what it is they need to do.

Scanning the presence of other threats, she spots the ragged-looking man building power within him. If that wasn't countered, their army could be at a disadvantage -- as such, she first hurls her sword in his direction. All the while, her radiance is influencing itself upon the army, whittling them down with a sense that saps away their fighting strength.

Show

I'm committing effort to Body of Burning Light!

I'd like to use the Fray Dice on the opposing army (1d8)[5]
    I'm using Sapphire Wings to keep above melee range, and attacking the ragged weather man! (1d20)[14] Check 5, (1d10+3)[10] Damage

I think I have one effort unused at this point?

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Starislav roar.
    'For the Motherland!'
    He sprout wings, and reptilian face appear on both sides of his necks as he charge forward, dark spiraling energy wavering around his spear, as he charge toward the Red Typhoon.

The physical movement is merely an avatar for the real attack- draconic enthropy energy that will form like three headed dragon and bite into the flash and soul of the Red Typhoon-

----------

I think my last effort into World Eater-
    max damage of 1d10... so 10?

------
    My previouse Avater