New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

When you state your intent, Li suddenly seems taken aback, dropping his chopsticks and raising his hands dissuadingly. "Oh, no, no! I didn't mean it like that!" he babbles, smiling nervously. "Er, what I mean to say is that something so drastic will not be necessary. I've no clues to offer nor any evidence of wrongdoing, and besides, you've already done so much for our humble little town!"

By this point, even Po is looking weirdly at the magistrate, making the official realize that he suddenly is looking rather foolish. He clears his throat and lowers his arms again. "A-Anyhow, I do not think that anyone would be so foolish as to send assassins after you at this point. Rather, I fear that they will paint you as bandits to the Governor in Yizhao. It would be easy enough, given that you are foreigners who came into conflict with an infamous criminal out of the blue. If that were to happen, you would be headed into conflict with the Emperor's forces."

Taking on that same grim expression from earlier, he adds "Not only would you be endangered, but also disgraced. Really, the best option would be to move on. Surely there are other places that could use your aid as well."
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Starislav spat a bone. "I see. The elites aren't pleased to see alien power's at wor'k 'er'e." he get up. "Bht sadly for you, the bogatyrs serve the weak and the k'helpless. So... I'll ask what the common fol'k think."
    Thanks for the OOTSkage of OOTS art, Lord Raziere.

------
    My previouse Avater

Bazzilion legions of thanks to his highness Emperor Ing for the awesome avatar!

Who want to join some freeform Naruto Rp?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ound-ITP-OOC-1

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

"I-I see." Li stammers, suddenly frowning and widening his eyes. Sweat drips down his brow, giving you the overall expression that he is rather nervous about you declining his advice.

"D-Do so if you must." The magistrate lowers his head for a moment, avoiding your gaze. When he surfaces again, however, a nervous, crooked smile has returned to his face. "I will not guarantee anything, but perhaps I can be of use in dispelling any rumors that might circulate about you.

That said, I would not suggest you put much stock in what any one xiaoren will try to tell you, Bogatyr Kalchugevski. We junzi have proven ourselves to be their betters, and it is our duty to see after the kingdom's wellbeing. If you wish to show benevolence to our people, then you should bring any issues you have to me and heed the advice I have to give. Doing so would bring you great merit."

Spoiler: Rem
    Show
    Given your experiences with nobles in the past, you get the gist that he's telling you that he's in charge and you should not act without his approval.

Now that he's brought it up, there are indeed some questions you still need answers to. Like what is going on with Real Man Xiao, for instance. Or who that Golden Lord is that Zu mentioned.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Starislav get up. "You didn't that gr'eat job so far'. And you can spread what ever' r'umor's you l'ike. I am not seeking r'espect. Just don't bother the wor'k of those who do what k'have to be done.'

------
    My previouse Avater

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Rem is quiet in thought throughout the conversation, in seemingly great contemplation of what it is that has to be done.

But to only seek the Magistrate's approval would change nothing. It was under his rule that banditry was allowed to thrive.

But Starislav has spoken his piece, and hers as well.

"Then," Rem speaks, "As a foreigner who is interested in learning more about your culture, could you please enlighten me more about such topics as the Golden Lord, whom the bandit leader Zu mentioned, Magistrate?"

There is information they still need to get here, and better if it is guised in the feign manner of politeness that the Magistrate craves so much.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

A gasp goes through the room at Starislav's open and reckless defiance, with Po coughing as he ends up choking on a slice of bamboo. A scowl forms on Li's face, and some of his guards begin to reach for their weapons, but before they can do anything the magistrate raises his hand to stop them.

"I believe these are matters we should discuss in private." he says, eyebrows furrowed. "Servants, leave us alone!" As if to accentuate his command he claps his hands twice, and immediately everyone else starts leaving the chamber. Guards, servants, and even Po after grabbing one last bowl of wine for himself rush out and close the door behind themselves, leaving you alone with Li.

"Let me be quite candid, foreigners, since that is the language you respect." Li says, his tone noticeably less grandiose and jolly than earlier. "I will not bother you in your work so long as you don't interfere with mine. Gongfang is a most troublesome post to be assigned to, and I've got too much to lose if I let outsiders run roughshod over it."

With a low sigh, he leans back in his chair, causing the wood to creak under his weight. "The Golden Lord, if you need to know, is a menace. He's some kind of god that a group of rebels out in the woods is worshipping. They're building their forces still, but we've been trying to cut them down before they feel bold enough to attempt an attack on Gongfang. What they're doing is a fool's errand, but some among them do know powerful martial arts and the rest of the rabble might cause some damage to us by sheer numbers."
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

There is a similarly quiet expression from Rem as she keeps her countenance as close to neutral as she can manage. She watches the servants and Po leave, and looks to Li once more. "I more understand the position you are in now. Can you tell us more of what they want from you? Zu mentioned that he was quite the thorn as well."

The language is carefully unabrasive, not in particular because Rem wishes to support Magistrate Li, but because she feels there may be more information to be gleaned here.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

"They want me dead is what they want!" Li bellows, smashing down his fist. Though the resulting smack is less than impressive, it gives you the impression that he's earnest at least. "They are rebels, xiaoren who are dissatisfied with their station and who would destroy our nation to place themselves above their betters!"

The magistrate pauses, taking a moment to catch his breath. Once finished, he leans forward and eyes the two of you sternly. "I can't claim to understand their beliefs, but it all seems to revolve around personal resolve and ignoring pain. Their leaders seem to be so good at it that the one we did manage to capture was completely impervious to it!" At this, he throws one arm into the air, gesticulating that he feels the situation to be ridiculous. "He died in the interrogation before we could get anything out of him.

I'm not surprised Zu was worried about them, at any rate."
    he adds, leaning back once more. "He is the kind of man disgruntled peasants like those cultists would take revenge against. They are a bloodthirsty bunch, and best dealt with swiftly. In fact-" Li raises his head just slightly, as if in thought. "-the people of Gongfang would be much safer without this devious Golden Lord, if he even truly exists. If great heroes were to take down his cult, they would show themselves to be clearly trustworthy to the regency."
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2019-07-05 at 02:05 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

The Golden Lord's motives seem quite aligned with theirs. But it wouldn't do to tip her hand too early. She casts a glance to Starislav, as if to indicate such. "I see. Then what say you if you pointed us to the woods you spoke of, and we can see to this issue for you?"

Rem's perhaps surprised herself at how reserved she's being. She's used to being honest, kind, compassionate. But they will need his trust in the interim, if only to make sure the people they've just freed have a camp unfettered. There's a quiet, inner frown. She's seen the game of politics be played from a distance. She wouldn't want to play it very long, lest it corrupt her.

But she has no intentions of being the Magistrate's ally.

"This seems best fit for one with a divine spark, would you not say, Magistrate?"

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Starislav felt respect toward the Golden Lord. At least from what he sounded like.
    "We will make sure justice will be served." He said, exchanging glance with Rem.
    "It does seems we came at the right time'

------
    My previouse Avater

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

"Will you, now?" the magistrate asks, his eyes suddenly glancing down at you. "I am glad our interests align, then." Lowering his head to face you, he then clasps his hands and adds "I will keep a few of my men ready for whenever you wish to make a raid on the Golden Lord's camps. They know the location of one of them, and will be happy to show you. With you taking on the leaders, they should be able to capture the rabble."

Somehow, from the way he said that, you both get the feeling that Li's men joining you was not an offer.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

"Just point us at the point at the map." Starislv said quitly

------
    My previouse Avater

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

"I see. I'm very glad for your gracious offer of assistance, Magistrate Li," Rem bows her head.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

"Please." Li says calmly, but firmly towards Starislav. "I must insist. After all, it was my lack of strength that led to these rebels becoming so populous in the first place. I simply must aid you in arresting them. Besides, my men will know the location far better than myself."

Towards Rem, he gives a somewhat over-exaggerated nod. "You will see that I am not an unreasonable man. The methods of the Regency may seem harsh at times, but they all serve the greater good of our state."

With that, he rises from his chair, pressing his hands onto the table to lean forward. "Now, I believe we have discussed all that is worth discussing. Unless there is something, or rather someone else that you wish to bring up?" Oddly enough, he put a strange emphasis on the 'someone' part of that last sentence.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

"It had come to my mind, when our entourage first visited the city," Rem speaks up. "I would like to enquire about this 'Real Man Xiao'... the one calling himself an esteemed sage. Might you know a little more about that incident, and what has been happening?"

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Li gives a short sigh at your question, muttering "Figures you'd ask." under his breath. He actually hesitates for a moment, but then lifts his head to face you and begins to explain. "I can't tell you more about that incident than what you saw, but I can tell you that I am as wary of Xiao as you are."

With a small grunt, the magistrate pushes himself off the table to stand upward. His eyebrow furrows, and his face crunches up with concern. "He's a taoist scholar, a kind of hermit mage. They follow principles of simplicity and artlessness in an effort to cultivate their spiritual powers, though I'm unclear on the details of it. There's many of them, but Xiao is accomplished enough to have founded his own monastery up on Red Crow Mountain." Before he continues any further, Li takes a quick sip of wine directly from one of the wine horns, tossing it carelessly back on the table.

"Being a taoist makes him suspicious enough if you ask me, but ever since he came here he has sent me constant requests for new students! Normally I'd have denied him ages ago, but I've received orders from Governor Jiang to comply and not interfere with that mage's work." Scowling, the magistrate clenches his fists. "I don't know what is going on in that monastery, but I do know that I'm running out of people to send. I would ask you to investigate, but it's pointless. The path that leads to Xiao's home is magically concealed. My men could only bring the students there when led by Xiao's personal pupil." A vein on his forehead bulges slightly as Li shakes his head. There is a distinct shade of red to his face.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

The news is rather peculiar to Rem, and she can't help but raise an eyebrow at the news. "... the Governor complied? I see. It would be difficult, indeed, if it were magically concealed." She didn't feel the particular need to press him a bit more on the topic, because... she had a feeling, from his frustration, that he would've said more if he knew why the Governor was indeed compliant. "But if I may... you sound quite stressed about the situation, Magistrate Li. Has his students been harrassing the city or you in any particular quantity? There was one such incident when we arrived, but I assume it is not isolated...? Do you know who his pupil is, or who is to be sent next?"

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Once fed, Starislav just has listened silently. He didn't cared much for mages, he has considered magic to be cheap trick, in comprasion to warfare, but that all.
    Starislav trusted Rem's judgment.

------
    My previouse Avater

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

"Actually, no." Li says before taking a deep breath. "That incident was the first time anything of the sort has happened. The bigger issue with Real Man Xiao's requests is that it's difficult to find people who I can send up there, especially since nobody is willing to volunteer. I've had to resort to conscripting lawbreakers and slaves, and the latter I assure you are a heavy drain on my purse!" At that last part, the magistrate actually slams a fist down onto the table, making the foodstuff shake. Afterwards, however, he does calm himself a tad bit as he changes topics.

"His pupil is a woman called Perfected Woman Wen. Her master only recently made another one of his demands, so she should come down the mountain in a few days. Things being as they are, it would make sense to send some of Zu's men with her as students. You can approach her when I make the handoff. However-" Suddenly, Li raises a finger in warning. "You will have to do this on your own. I cannot be known to be involved in such an investigation."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

"We anyway preffer not to tire your men down." Starislav shrugged

------
    My previouse Avater

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Rem has a quiet, pursed-lip expression sa she nods and expresses, "Thank you, then. We will see to our investigation."

She looks to Starislav, and then quietly thinks. A few days... that would mean there is time to investigate the Golden Lord first. She nods to her companion. "I thank you for your generosity, Magistrate Li.
    Bougatir Starislav, shall we be on our way?
    "

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes.' He simply say, as he get up, and hoarding the leftovers into his bag

------
    My previouse Avater

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Starislav might miss it, depending on just how focused he is on carrying off food, but Rem will certainly notice a heavy scowl on the magistrate's face at the bogatyr's lack of manners and compliance. "You are welcome." he says openly, but very curtly. "The Regency will watch your handling of the Golden Lord's followers with great interest."

There's something frosty to the air as you leave, despite Dulimbai's humid heat. Clearly, you have not left a good impression on Li. Were you not as powerful as you are right now, you'd get the feeling that you have made a dreadful mistake angering a man of his position. Things being as they are, you don't know what he could throw at you that Zu didn't have. Yet he is just a minor part of the larger regency, and who knows what kinds of sorcerers and heroes they have on their payroll?

Once outside the audience chamber, you are met with the same minor official from earlier and a few guards, who quickly proceed to guide you out of the yamen. None of them have anything to say for you except for a few polite, bowing goodbyes. As you leave the main building, Po comes rushing to join you again before you leave, questions already on his lips.

"T-There you are! How did it go?" A curious silence descends upon the nearby servants at this outbursts, making the outlaw cringe at his own idiocy. "Urgh! Uh, maybe we'd best wait with that. Come on, lets get out of here!"

With the eyes of most everyone on your back, you finally leave through the yamen gates, back onto the moonlit streets of Gongfang. From there, you start making your way back to the city wall. Once there, you emerge to see that by this point the slaves have prepared a rather makeshift camp with some help by the guards, though even calling it that would be generous. It largely consists of blankets set upon the dry earth next to the road, with two small tents set up to provide at least a few people protection from the elements. Still, the overall mood seems to be pretty good, and it only rises when the people cheer at seeing your return.

Suddenly, Ming's voice calls out to you from the larger one of the two. "Rem, Starislav! Come here!" Once inside, you find her bend over a piece of parchment, a crude quill in hand. She quickly gets up to greet you properly, however. "There you are! What did the magistrate say? Did everything go well?" Po's presence, she luckily seems to ignore for now.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Feel free to discuss your plans for what your characters will be doing in the next days now. This could also include any dominion spends or influence uses that you want to make happen, like perhaps using your skills and divine powers to aid with reintegrating the slaves.

Also, feel free to do whatever roleplaying you want to do. I think it's about time you got something of a less tense moment. You can even look forward to a level up once you spend that Dominion you have currently.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2019-07-24 at 11:19 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Rem is quite reserved and quiet as they leave. Li's frosty expression certainly isn't missed on her, but she keeps her expression well-tempered and polite as she leaves... it might not have been ideal to tip their hand as early as this, pragmatically speaking. But she couldn't help but admire Starislav's forthrightness. Sooner or later, they would have to disagree with the Magistrate, who is a cog in the machine that caused such suffering to happen in the first place.

Best, perhaps, that she did not play theg ame too much.

"... we have come what we set out to do," Rem quietly expresses to Po. She heads back towards the camps and looks just a little appreciative of what has been set up so far. There's a lot of work to be done still...

And there is Ming, greeting them. She walks towards her and closes her eyes for a time.

"Strictly speaking... I must say that as a representative of all of you, I may not have done the best job possible, as we possess moral differences I am unwilling to compromise on. Yet I work to better all your standards of living, and a great measure of temperance is required of that. And for that I apologise."

She does actually bow in front of Ming, despite her newfound status and power. She remembers what she said to Ming prior to going to the Magistrate, about keeping her humanity.

"However, the discussion brought forth enough information. The Magistrate may distrust us, but he will at least guide us to other leads, such as the Golden Lord and his men, and the issue of Real Man Xiao was explained too," she explains. "What may come of this in the next couple of days, I am not certain yet, but rest assured my priority is to ensure the safety and wellbeing of this camp, not the pursuit of my personal goals."

Show
    In the next couple of days, Rem does just that -- fetching supplies and necessities for the camp for the well-being of the former slaves, arranging for transport and coin to those who do have homes and families to return to whether near or far, and otherwise planning for their next move -- the Golden Lord, likely.

In terms of mechanics, I'll spend Dominion to this end -- but I'm not sure which Word might be suitable. The hope portion of Sun or Health?

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

"It was a waste of time." Starislav shrugged.
    'He was useless."

He give the food he has gathered to the most sick and starving.
    "We will destroy who ever try to stop us."

Ooc: Starislav, use dominion to train them as warriors?

------
    My previouse Avater

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Ming crosses her arms, eyeing the two of you with a frown and furrowed brows. "You are not exactly acting the way someone in your position should, that much is true." Then, she steps forward to the tent's exit. From there she looks over the folk that Starislav has brought food too, a smile quickly forming on her lips. "Then again, for two foreigners you have shown us more benevolence than servant of the regency."

"M-Ming!" Po interrupts, raising his hands in a calming gesture. "With the way you three are talking, it sounds like you're planning a rebellion! They could have our heads for this sort of talk!"

In turn, the women gives a short chuckle. "Do we, now? I guess that's what it sounds like." She throws you a knowing wink, one that make Po clasp his hands against his face, before stepping back to the parchment she was working on earlier. "Rest assured, I think you are doing excellent work. Now come, it's been a long day. We'll talk about everything tomorrow and figure out how to go from there. Besides, I need to finish this poem I am creating in your honor."

With that, you retire to whatever sleeping arrangements you may claim in the little camp that has been set up, finally getting yourselves a good night of sleep. Surrounded by the people that your efforts have saved, your slumber is calm, restful, and free of any bad dreams.

The next few days pass swiftly. Working together with the magistrate's men, Rem sees to getting the slaves settled into Gongfang. To her relief, everything happens frictionlessly, everyone able to find a distant family member or close relatives rather easily. Even those who don't manage to figure out a place to stay and a way to earn their keep, with only a few having to pack their belongings and embarking on a journey back home. Somehow, she gets the feeling that her divine powers have something to do with the relative ease this all is happening with, as the earlier surge of power she felt just after freeing the slaves from Zu's compound slowly fades away during the same time.

Still, despite this discovery, she does not remain idle. In the ample time she has left in-between everything else, Rem makes friends among the xiaoren of Gongfang, establishing contacts and providing an open ear to those who wish to talk. It takes some very active involvement, posing the right questions and figuring out who has relevant information, but soon enough she has built a network that can keep her aware of any important information within Gongfang's area. It's unlikely to stay intact without her keeping an eye on it, but so long as she have the time it will provide an invaluable tool.

Annoyingly, one of the first things she is informed of by her network is that Magistrate Li has not, in fact, stopped picking students for Real Man Xiao from the general populace, despite having more than enough prisoners at his disposal. Several men and women report that they are next in line to become students of the sorcerer, all of whom you recognize from the first time you visited the Yamen.

On the other hand, there is also much talk of the Golden Lord, and his followers who keep appearing in town to preach to the downtrodden. They mostly talk only to their close relatives, sometimes to very trusted friends, before heading off into the woods and disappearing again, never staying for very long in one place. However, there may be another way to follow them. A woodcutter called Xiang the Axe spends much time out of town, and has bragged to his friends about having seen the cultists' camps during an evening of heavy drinking. Another patron, who happened to be one of your contacts was sober enough to seize the opportunity, and on the same day provided you with a map of locations that Xiang swears the cultists are stationed at. If you wish, you could now visit these places without having to work with Magistrate Li's men.

Finally, you hear some rumours that another local taoist, Red Cap Hong, may know more about Real Man Xiao. Hong has been awfully clammy and nervous whenever the hermit up in the monastery was brought up to him. Perhaps a god's presence may loosen his tongue? In any case, he has a small shop in the market square where he sells folk-magic cures, lucky talismans, and exorcisms.

Meanwhile, Starislav works on a rather different program. At night, the Bogatyr sneaks out into the woods, where guided by knowledge that seems to enter his head from nowhere, he pushes his powers to the very limit of what they can do. Taunted by the whispering snarl of the Wyrm at the back of his head, he gathers up all the strength he has gained so far, and infuses it into the very land.

"Break not their bodies." the voice seems to say. "Erode their will. Take their hopes from them."

Intuitively knowing how to direct his powers, Starislav works a curse on the land, utterly preventing any acts of banditry and similar criminal violence from being carried out. In the coming days, lawless villains everywhere find that their arrows hit no mark, that their swords are dropped mid-swing. Their ambushes are set in wrong locations and their supplies are wasted frivolously. And though the Bogatyr knows that his curse is not yet permanent, and he still has to perform regular rituals to infuse these lands with horrible power, he can feel that his actions are having an effect.

As the days pass, you also find that you are having an increasingly good control of your own powers. With each day of experience, you find yourself using your powers more expertly, no longer overusing effort where you don't mean to and having far better accuracy when you do. At the same time, you increasingly find yourself energized when near those mortals who admire you. It is as if their worship, subconscious though it may be, is strengthening you, and would do so even more if you could formalize it into a focused religion. Yet, you feel as though there is a choice to be made there. Perhaps by rejecting the worship of mortals, you may yet cultivate the power within you to a greater extent?

Show
    The above paragraph is a lot of flavor text to tell you that you've gained a LEVEL UP!!!

About time, really. To summarize, here's what this gets you!

• Your Attack Bonus increases by 1!
    • Your HP increase by 5!
    • Your maximum Effort and Influence increase by 1!
    • All your Saving Throws decrease by 1!
    • You gain 1 new Fact! This can be anything you come up with, but must be related to your adventures so far.
    • You gain 2 points to spend on new Gifts! Remember, Lesser Gifts cost 1 point and Greater Gifts cost 2 points.

That aside, you both gain the first Gift of the Apotheosis word, Receive the Incense of Faith. No need to mark it down if you don't want to, since it's a thing you gain automatically with levelling. However, you do have to decide at this point. Will you try and form a cult that will provide Dominion for you, or will you become a Free Divinity who can create Dominion on their own, albeit at a lesser rate?

During this time, you stay with some of Ming's relatives that live in Gongfang. She insisted on letting you stay and providing you with free meals in exchange for all you've done and continue to do, which the rest of her family somewhat begrudgingly agreed to. They don't seem too keen on having extremely powerful and sorcerous foreigners under their roof, but do at least recognize all that you have done for them.

At this point, it's only two more days before Perfected Woman Wen is scheduled to come down the mountain and gather the new students for Real Man Xiao. It's plenty of time to do whatever you wish to do, of course, but you have to decide on what it'll be. Many paths lay open before you. As the morning breaks, and you have a humble breakfast of leftover rice with Ming, a still awfully nervous Po, and a small Dulimbaian family, you discuss what you'll do next.

Show
    Feel free to have this discussion IC. There's a lot of ways to go, in no small part thanks to Rem's network.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Were they going to start a revolution? If it must be what comes to pass, then so be it. Rem has never really been shy that she was a servant before, and has the viewpoint of someone who has been down at the bottom, having nothing at all.

But the next few days pass, and Rem has been busy at work at what she's most passionate about -- uniting people together, bringing them together with compassion and kindness. She would hold no one here who wishes to go home, no matter how far -- and those that can settle, she lets do. The xiaoren are definitely more the kind of people she associates with; the ears to the street, those that walk the earth, just as she did.

It was important to keep abreast of everything happening.

The topic of Magistrate Li not stopping to pick students is frustrating indeed, but... the opportunity to visit the Golden Lord without Magistrate Li's men was a gold one indeed. That and the topic of Red Cap Hong, the local taoist... but she thinks that of the two, there was a far greater chance they can find an opportunity to collaborate with the Golden Lord. Perhaps. She'd like to be optimistic.

She's appreciative to Ming's relatives as well, and does not act the part of some kind of guest -- doing simple chores as washing clothes, cleaning and taking care of the infirm or infants if there are around. Just because she was a goddess, does not mean she would like to forget basic humility.

And during their breakfast...

"I have discovered a way for us to liaise with the Golden Lord, without the Magistrate's eyes upon us," she explains. "A friend of mine who has been in touch with Xiang the Axe down the street says these are some of the locations their cult is operating out of. I think we should discuss with him of possible allegiances, as it feels as if our mindsets may be aligned."

A pause, as she looks to Ming with a smile.

"And the other thing... you and everyone involved have done no small amount of work, but we have no name to call ourselves yet. I was thinking of creating a new identity for our band. What say you?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll look at the book a bit later to choose the Gifts I'll take for a levelup!

For a Fact, I was thinking of establishing the identity of the group we're creating -- I suppose in terms of Dominion Rem would be creating a cult, but she wouldn't want a 'traditional' cult of worshippers and more a group of agents who have their own autonomy. Would that be possible still?

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Starislav whenever possible, sulking alone.
    He try to use as less of possible of his curse. Three different voices roar in his head, each more monstrous and cruel then the previous.
    But he doesn't has much of this said time.

He eat more and more in quanity, and more wildly. Like.. a beast. And if there were shortage of food, he went to hunt. For now forcing himself to at least roast it.

"I tr'ust your judgement, you k'have pur'e 'ear't. If I fol'l'ow you... I might... not tur'n to the monster' within me.'

He looked at her offer, more eager then he has imagined.
    It was so lonely to walk the roads, when his motherland has vomited him out.

"This.. is sound pr'omising.

------
    My previouse Avater

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

The reactions of those present at your announcement seem rather mixed. A mumbling goes through the family, some sounding more, some less enthusiastic.

"The Golden Lord? Isn't that dangerous?"

"It's a good thing! Lady Rem and the Bogatyr have shown themselves to be wise and capable. They know what is right."

"Is he even real? These two have taken down Zu, but what has this Golden Lord ever done?"

Ming, for her part at least, seems happy with your plans, cheerfully returning Rem's smile. "I think it's about time. On both accounts. Now that we are forming an organisation of our own, the Golden Lord's cult is more likely to take you seriously when you come to them with any offers." She leans back contently, her hands on her knees.

"What kind of identity were you thinking about, then? Something like a school of thought?"

"Whatever you go with-" Po interjects, turning his head every now and then to glance at the door. "-we should chose a fearsome name. The less people who want to mess with us, the better."

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Rem is quiet for a moment longer, collecting her thoughts.

"I lived my life a humble servant. I was shackled by those whose stature exceeded mine... and yet there was no greater shackle than disease, as it slowly claimed my body, my sight, my mind. Bit by bit, it tried to rob me of everything; the pleasantness of a hale body, the enjoyment of a free mind... the five senses, by which one can experience the world."

A pause, as she looks towards Ming.

"Freedom from slavery. Freedom from abusive systems. Freedom from tyranny and fascism. Freedom from disease and the plagues that ill one's body, mind and spirit..."

She places a hand to her chest, wings flicking up and down a little.

"And from that, the freedom to choose one's own life, through compassion, through kindness and understanding. To love one's neighbours, to love their differences and similarities. To denounce hatred and bigotry where it exists, endemically, individually. And of course, in that end, to show even-handed compassion and redemption to those seeking it..."

She lowers her head deeper.

"I would like to be ... Redeemers."