New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Storm sorcery (reworked)

I´m in a homebrew mood this month so I got yet another subclass ready to go. I initially looked through the subclasses in Xanathar´s and found the storm sorcerer thematically fun but mechanically kinda meh. For one, the subclass seems quite underpowered throughout the majority of the game, and all of sudden it gets a very strong feature at 18th level. Secondly it seems odd that it does not have access to spells like control weather or call lightning. A wizard or druid would in many ways be better at casting storm magic than a storm sorcerer.

Here is my take on a storm sorcerer: Any thoughts on this?

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/edit/HJeuKA_m9X

Tempestuous magic
    When you select this feature at 1st level, you add Crackling bolt and Call lightning to your sorcerer spell list. You must know these spells before you can cast them.

Crackling bolt
    Evocation cantrip
    * Casting time: 1 action
    * Range: 60 ft
    * Components: V, S
    * Duration: Instantaneous

Make a ranged spell attack against a creature you can see. On a hit, the target takes d8 lightning damage. The lightning bolt then leaps to a different enemy creature within 15 feet of the original target. The secondary target takes lightning damage equal to half of the original target. At 5th level, the spell deals an extra d8 lightning damage. You roll one extra dice at your 11th and 17th level.

Note: There is not any ranged lightning/thunder spell available to the sorcerer other than lightning lure, so I wanted to add an extra cantrip. The cantrip deals less damage than firebolt, has less range, but instead has a small amount of area damage.

Storm infusion
    Also at 1st level, you gain the ability to infuse your body with arcane energy. As a bonus action, your body levitates from the ground and your eyes begin to spark with electricity.
    For 1 minute, you gain the following benefits:

* Whenever you roll lightning or thunder damage you may add your charisma modifier to the damage roll
    * If an enemy creature within 5 ft. hits you with a melee attack you may use your reaction to cast the shocking grasp cantrip against that creature
    * While your storm infusion is active, you are able levitate your body a few inches off the ground

When you use this feature you must finish a long rest before you can use it again. When you reach 2nd level in this class, you can spend 2 sorcery points to use it again.

Note: This feature is inspired by the UA phoenix sorcerer´s mantle of flame. The general consensus on the phoenix sorcerer is however, that one use per long rest only is too harsh, so I added an option of refreshing the ability by spending sorcery points. Considering that dragon sorcerers get a free +cha damage on their chosen spell damage type at 6th level, this should sort of balance out in the late game as you´ll have more sorcery points per rest.

Electrocute
    Starting at 6th level, when you deal lightning damage to a creature, you can make it roll a Constitution save against your sorcerer spell save DC. If failed, the creature is stunned until the end of your next turn. Once you use this feature you must complete a short rest before you can use it again.

Note: The same as the monk´s stunning strike. Uses no ki points, but can be used once per short rest only.

Storm Guide
    Also at 6th level, you gain the ability to subtly control the weather around you.

If it is raining, you can use an action to cause the rain to stop falling in a 20‐foot radius centered on you. You can end this effect as a bonus action.

If it is windy, you can use a bonus action each round to choose the direction that the wind blows in a 100‐foot radius sphere around you. The wind blows in that direction until the end of your next turn. This feature does not alter the speed of the wind.

Note: Same as in Xanathar´s. I consider this mostly a ribbon feature but it is thematic nontheless.

Heart of the storm
    At 14th level, you can can cast the Control weather spell once per long rest. Casting the spell this way does not make you expend a spell slot.

Note: This becomes available 1 level earlier than wizards and druids can access it. I personally think this is OK since this subclass is basically made to control storms, but then again, maybe having an extra 8th level spell per long rest is a bit much. Would do you think?

Wind soul
    At 18th level, you gain immunity to lightning and thunder damage.

In addition, you gain a magical flying speed of 60 ft. and you are no longer affected by difficult terrain caused by weather conditions.

Note: A nerfed version of the 18th level feature found in Xanathar´s.
    Last edited by Blackflight; 2019-01-29 at 03:35 PM.